Would you rather win the Premier League or the Champions League?

Would you rather win the PL or CL?

• Total voters

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Depends on your club. A team like Liverpool would much rather win the EPL because they've never won it, while a club like City would rather win the Champions League for the exact same reason. For myself, I would rather win the EPL right now because if you win the league there can be no debate over who is the best, while winning the Champions League can come with a bit of luck as anything can happen in a knock out competition...

walkinhop

The PL. If we are good enough to win it it means we are good enough to compete in Europe. On the other hand, any cup competition can be won by a fluke.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Premier League.

The CL is bigger and carry more prestige, but the PL is more important. You got to be the best in your own backyard.
This. The CL is like an exotic beauty who its nice to be with every once in a while but who's charm would fade away if you had it all the time. The PL is like your spouse, you don't want to see it with anybody else.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I suspect the fact we're in the last 16 of the CL but not really in the title race has influenced this vote somewhat.

On day 1 of season in August it's the title that's the biggest priority. Always. End of story.

FutbolFan

Supports
Chelsea
It depends on the situation.

Liverpool - Def the league

Spurs - Debatable but I say the league. League win will bring far more legitimacy of them being a European powerhouse as opposed to 1 off CL win

Chelsea - Cl definitely. We have won the league twice recently. CL win would mean much more than another league win.

Arsenal - CL win since they have been elite but havent won CL yet.

Man Utd - Again debatable but from Utd perspective I think CL win will do the same for the club what it has done to Real recently. Cement their place as one of the very best in Europe over the years.

RedFish

If you'd have asked me in the 90's it would have been the CL. Now it's the PL.

If you're not in contention for the PL, you're still likely an outsider for the CL anyway, so there's a certain resetting of priorities/expectations.

Mcking

CL is a glorified cup competition with music and over the top hype. Don't believe the hype or casuals.

Rather win PL. Nothing beats a proper title race.

Solve this debate by kicking out teams that didn't win their league the previous season. Then you won't have entitled fans of teams that are perennial 4th place finishers saying CL > PL. The discussion would be moot because you'd need the PL to even start that conversation.
Nothing beats a last minute winner in a UCL final.

Mr. Meeseeks

CL obviously. We would have had to go through the likes of Bayern, Barca, PSG, Real Madrid, Juventus etc. It makes for a much more satisfying win when your opposition is of such high quality.

FcUnitedRed

Supports
Glazers Out
Has to be the CL for me.

Yes there's fewer games compared to the PL but to be crowned "the best in Europe" means you've potentially beaten the best team(s) in Europe.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
We haven't won the league for nearly 30 years. So we haven't been the best team in England that long. I want to claim that again, be the best team in England again. I want that more than anything else.

I wouldn't trade any of our Big Ears for it, as they're all special, but the league means a lot more to me than a CL.

Eli Zee

The PL. If we are good enough to win it it means we are good enough to compete in Europe. On the other hand, any cup competition can be won by a fluke.
really? what happened to leicester?

winning the PL usually just means you were more consistent in beating the weaker teams in the league than the other top 3.
winning the CL means you consistently beat or drew games to top competition from all around europe.... or tied all knockout games and the final and went to penalties every game.. but when has that ever happened?

hmm.... i'd say winning the champions league is more telling of how good a team is than winning their own league. One requires consistency over a longer period of time but against various levels of competition. the other requires extreme consistency in getting positive results against usually very good teams over a much shorter span of games.

walkinhop

really? what happened to leicester?

winning the PL usually just means you were more consistent in beating the weaker teams in the league than the other top 3.
winning the CL means you consistently beat or drew games to top competition from all around europe.... or tied all knockout games and the final and went to penalties every game.. but when has that ever happened?

hmm.... i'd say winning the champions league is more telling of how good a team is than winning their own league. One requires consistency over a longer period of time but against various levels of competition. the other requires extreme consistency in getting positive results against usually very good teams over a much shorter span of games.
I just thing one requires a better platform than the other. One from which you can build to eventually win the other. It's obviously debatable.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Nothing beats a last minute winner in a UCL final.
I should have put "IMO" at the end of that.

The best thing about winning the CL in 2008 for me was that it completed the double with the league, and we could legitimately deem ourselves the best team in Europe. If we didn't win the league my enjoyment would have been less.