Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveW

I assume he will be blamed for the two missed penalties??!
Of course. Caf is a bad barometer of real sentiment these days though. Match goers sang Oles name from first minute tonight.

LJJT

Of course. Caf is a bad barometer of real sentiment these days though. Match goers sang Oles name from first minute tonight.
Away support sounded great and I’m glad they did as he needs backing by the fans. Norwich were awful but hopefully we can get some form going now

SteveW

Away support sounded great and I’m glad they did as he needs backing by the fans. Norwich were awful but hopefully we can get some form going now
They're an honest bunch. First time in a long time we can say that. Getting the attitude right is the first step.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
This 100%! I get so infuriated by how badly represented our match day fan base is that I’ve felt the need to defend Solskjær more publicly.

Those of us who are watching week in week out see the plan and it’s not perfect but when everyone is fit we have got a clear idea of how to win matches.

SteveW

This 100%! I get so infuriated by how badly represented our match day fan base is that I’ve felt the need to defend Solskjær more publicly.

Those of us who are watching week in week out see the plan and it’s not perfect but when everyone is fit we have got a clear idea of how to win matches.
It's not perfect. But there's actually plenty to like about what's going on. Just hasn't translated to results yet for various reasons.

b82REZ

I keep seeing this talk of a plan, but I'm yet to see any explanation or description of what this plan is. Do enlighten me please.

I'm watching week in week out and while today was a good performance I still see no discernable style of play. We looked a lot more threatening going forward and the team and manager deserve some credit but Norwich were piss poor.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I keep seeing this talk of a plan, but I'm yet to see any explanation or description of what this plan is. Do enlighten me please.

I'm watching week in week out and while today was a good performance I still see no discernable style of play. We looked a lot more threatening going forward and the team and manager deserve some credit but Norwich were piss poor.
Wide fullbacks pushed high up the pitch, try to win the ball early and then go straight for the counter. Its not revolutionary stuff, the problem is that we're not very good at it, especially with the current squad and all the injuries we've had to key players

Pogba (in form) was absolutely instrumental in this and he racked up quite a few assists and goals during Oles first good run. Even more important though was Herrera. With him we scored 2.2 goals each game and conceded 0.44, without him we scored 1.6 goals each game and conceded 1.88 goals each game.

Rashfords CF play leaves a lot to be desired and he was in terrible form as well in September/October, we looked much better today with Martial leading the line. Also with our only star player being injured for anything but three games we only have one competent midfielder and hes only 22

b82REZ

Wide fullbacks pushed high up the pitch, try to win the ball early and then go straight for the counter. Its not revolutionary stuff, the problem is that we're not very good at it, especially with the current squad and all the injuries we've had to key players

Pogba (in form) was absolutely instrumental in this and he racked up quite a few assists and goals during Oles first good run. Even more important though was Herrera. With him we scored 2.2 goals each game and conceded 0.44, without him we scored 1.6 goals each game and conceded 1.88 goals each game.

Rashfords CF play leaves a lot to be desired and he was in terrible form as well in September/October, we looked much better today with Martial leading the line. Also with our only star player being injured for anything but three games we only have one competent midfielder and hes only 22
So a tactic that most teams deploy is Ole's masterplan?

I need to see much more than asking our full backs to push on to call it a style of play.

I really do hope Ole proves me wrong and he goes on to build another legacy at the club. But he seems very naive tactically. If we continue to play with more attacking impetus until January I'd be more inclined to see him see out the season, but I'm very wary of another false dawn.

Bobcat

I need to see much more than asking our full backs to push on to call it a style of play.

I really do hope Ole proves me wrong and he goes on to build another legacy at the club. But he seems very naive tactically. If we continue to play with more attacking impetus until January I'd be more inclined to see him see out the season, but I'm very wary of another false dawn.
Not every manager is Pep and Klopp. I dont think Fergie ever had a certain "style of play" either. We played to the strengths of our squad and did very well doing just that. LvG was a tactical purist and that was boring as all hell. Wenger was a tactical purist and that became his downfall in the end. Jose is pragmatic and reactionary as feck and hes pretty successful

The important stuff now is what is happening behind the scenes. In the dressing room, on Carrington and most importantly in the transfer windows. Although i was happy with both outgoing and incoming transfers this summer, when i looked at our squad in August i knew it was going to be a rough season. I dont think its a turning point of any kind and there will be plenty of other shite matches before May

lysglimt

Scout
Garner has looked quite terrible whenever I've seen him.

Just another in a long line of massively overhyped championship midfielders we've produced.
SO you have never seen him in a single reserves-game ? I have seen practically every reserve- and U18 game over the last 10 year - and he is the most talented midfielder we have had since Pogba and Morrison.

b82REZ

Not every manager is Pep and Klopp. I dont think Fergie ever had a certain "style of play" either. We played to the strengths of our squad and did very well doing just that. LvG was a tactical purist and that was boring as all hell. Wenger was a tactical purist and that became his downfall in the end. Jose is pragmatic and reactionary as feck and hes pretty successful

The important stuff now is what is happening behind the scenes. In the dressing room, on Carrington and most importantly in the transfer windows. Although i was happy with both outgoing and incoming transfers this summer, when i looked at our squad in August i knew it was going to be a rough season. I dont think its a turning point of any kind and there will be plenty of other shite matches before May
But we have no idea what's going on behind the scenes. Yet many people on here seem to act like they have Ole's ear and know exactly where we'll be according to this so called plan. All I see from people defending him is that he has a plan, yet no one can explain this plan. According to you it's asking our full backs to push up, yet someone else will say it's promoting youth or buying young British players. Neither of these are long term plans at all and it reeks of PR spin from the club whenever I hear it brought up in the media.

Fergie made the most of his squad and got the absolute most of average players, but he did have a style of play. In his later years he did become a bit more pragmatic but for the majority of his time, width, pace and forward thinking were his style.

Bobcat

But we have no idea what's going on behind the scenes. Yet many people on here seem to act like they have Ole's ear and know exactly where we'll be according to this so called plan. All I see from people defending him is that he has a plan, yet no one can explain this plan. According to you it's asking our full backs to push up, yet someone else will say it's promoting youth or buying young British players. Neither of these are long term plans at all and it reeks of PR spin from the club whenever I hear it brought up in the media.

Fergie made the most of his squad and got the absolute most of average players, but he did have a style of play. In his later years he did become a bit more pragmatic but for the majority of his time, width, pace and forward thinking were his style.
"Width pace and forward thinking" is hardly a very defined style of play. I dont get why people are so hung up on "style". Plenty of good teams play without a very defined style of play and plenty of good managers are reactionary as opposed to tactical idealists. Again: Wenger was stubborn as feck and it really hurt them because once you figured him out. And lets not rewrite history here. Fergie was never a master tactician, he was just the best in the game of building great teams and getting his players to perform to their potential. In any case, style of play very much depends on the players you have available and certain great players will define what style a team is. 07-08 United was fecking ruthless going forward since we had Rooney/Ronaldo and Barca in the early 2010's could play tiki-taka like no others since they had Messi, Iniesta and Xavi. Trying to force a style on squad not fit for purpose is a futile experiment since you always end up with too many square pegs in round holes (Look: LVG at United)

If you just are going to dismiss anything Ole says as some sort of PR stunt, then nothing he says will please you. During Joses last season it was pretty clear we had two massive issues. Fitness was a big problem and so was morale/attitudes in the dressing room. Both of these things is something Ole has mentioned and he has already shipped out two bad influences and apparently fitness has been a focus since he got here.

rotherham_red

Klopp's plan is hardly revolutionary, and it's very predictable, but good luck trying to stop it...

b82REZ

"Width pace and forward thinking" is hardly a very defined style of play. I dont get why people are so hung up on "style". Plenty of good teams play without a very defined style of play and plenty of good managers are reactionary as opposed to tactical idealists. Again: Wenger was stubborn as feck and it really hurt them because once you figured him out. And lets not rewrite history here. Fergie was never a master tactician, he was just the best in the game of building great teams and getting his players to perform to their potential. In any case, style of play very much depends on the players you have available and certain great players will define what style a team is. 07-08 United was fecking ruthless going forward since we had Rooney/Ronaldo and Barca in the early 2010's could play tiki-taka like no others since they had Messi, Iniesta and Xavi. Trying to force a style on squad not fit for purpose is a futile experiment since you always end up with too many square pegs in round holes (Look: LVG at United)

If you just are going to dismiss anything Ole says as some sort of PR stunt, then nothing he says will please you. During Joses last season it was pretty clear we had two massive issues. Fitness was a big problem and so was morale/attitudes in the dressing room. Both of these things is something Ole has mentioned and he has already shipped out two bad influences and apparently fitness has been a focus since he got here.
Except it is.

I have an issue with Ole, the media and a subsection of the fans on here saying he has a plan which I am yet to see any evidence of.

I don't see any improvement, at all, in terms of fitness. We have our usual injuries as well as the team looking completely gassed after about 60/70 minutes. Ole has been here for the best part of a year and has implemented nothing discernable to the squad.

With any semi-successful manager you begin to see the fruits of their plan after this amount of time. We get these occasional false dawns and it seems to appease people until the inevitable decline in performances happens again.

I really do hope he has a plan and he successfully implements it, but there is zero evidence of it currently, despite what many on here would have you believe.

b82REZ

Klopp's plan is hardly revolutionary, and it's very predictable, but good luck trying to stop it...
Show me where I said a simple plan can't be effective.

It's often the simple plans that are most effective but we have been far from effective in the last 10 months.

rotherham_red

Show me where I said a simple plan can't be effective.

It's often the simple plans that are most effective but we have been far from effective in the last 10 months.
You literally denigrated Ole's plan for being too simple in the post I quoted...

Bobcat

Except it is.

I have an issue with Ole, the media and a subsection of the fans on here saying he has a plan which I am yet to see any evidence of.

I don't see any improvement, at all, in terms of fitness. We have our usual injuries as well as the team looking completely gassed after about 60/70 minutes. Ole has been here for the best part of a year and has implemented nothing discernable to the squad.

With any semi-successful manager you begin to see the fruits of their plan after this amount of time. We get these occasional false dawns and it seems to appease people until the inevitable decline in performances happens again.

I really do hope he has a plan and he successfully implements it, but there is zero evidence of it currently, despite what many on here would have you believe.
Have you considered that maybe he needs a bit more time before his plans comes to fruition? Last season there was really feck all he could do in terms of transfers/fitness since he took over halfway into the season. Klopp looked pretty clueless his first two seasons at Liverpool. Granted they scored a lot of goals, but they were leaking like a sieve backwards and plenty of people said Pep had been "found out" after his first season at City after spending a bazillion pounds on dross, before he went an won the league next year after spending another small country's GDP on new defenders...and those two are probably the best manager in the game today

The key thing now is rebuilding the squad to compete with the best and that will take more than one window. We cant expect champagne football when we dont have the ingredients for champagne. In fact, we still have too many players that in best case would make a nasty home made plonk that gives you a thundering headache and the runs the day after

NJM78

Still Ole out but happier with today’s performance and victory. Hopefully we can go to Chelsea and nick a win to gain some real momentum.

John Blund

Still Ole in.

Watched the game on a replay, as the feckers sent Liverpool today. The game was really one-sided after the first 20 mins, and Poch didn't do much to change the game when Liverpool created chance after chance. Even when they came out for the 2nd half, I'm pretty sure Klopp was like "carry on lads, we'll score if we play like this in the 2nd half". Looking at Spurs, they looked like they were going to pray for another 45 mins.

el3mel

No it isn’t but the level of moaning and crying like babies on here because you have never lived through a rough patch doesn’t help either.
We have been living through a rough patch for 6 years and this is the 7th.

Again very weird how some are annoyed about fans opinions more than the team's actual results and performance.

As if we hate being positive or feeling the team is actually moving on the right direction or something. People are negative for strong reasons, that's it.

b82REZ

Have you considered that maybe he needs a bit more time before his plans comes to fruition? Last season there was really feck all he could do in terms of transfers/fitness since he took over halfway into the season. Klopp looked pretty clueless his first two seasons at Liverpool. Granted they scored a lot of goals, but they were leaking like a sieve backwards and plenty of people said Pep had been "found out" after his first season at City after spending a bazillion pounds on dross, before he went an won the league next year after spending another small country's GDP on new defenders...and those two are probably the best manager in the game today

The key thing now is rebuilding the squad to compete with the best and that will take more than one window. We cant expect champagne football when we dont have the ingredients for champagne. In fact, we still have too many players that in best case would make a nasty home made plonk that gives you a thundering headache and the runs the day after
He's had time. There should be at least some green shoots of progress. If this was anyone but Ole people would not be suggesting give them more time.

The two managers you mentioned at least were showing how they wanted their teams to play, albeit making the most of the resources at their disposal. The same cannot be said for Solskjaer.

redshaw

Said before the game we'll win, that the lads will work hard, take risks to create chances which they very much did.

Should give Ole time and the players some confidence. It was a key performance to have the players play for him. I think the Newcastle game was a bit of a wake up call for Ole and players to break the ice a bit and stop being in this malaise or get Ole the sack.

How long it will last we'll have to see. I'm not pro Ole staying but willing to see him get some more time. 1 point out of Norwich and Bournemouth would've been tough and seen Ole get the sack. Good chance he can survive to Jan now. While I don't think Ole is a top manager, he's learning and we do have growing pains in the squad too.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
What a surprise, your main striker comes back from injury, the pressure is off Rashford a little and your attack has their best game for a while. You've jumped upto 7th had two away wins on the trot and a draw against a team noone could take points from.

James looks like one of the premiership signings of the season and your defence is massively improved. More 1st team players are due to come back from injury. Ole showed great tactical awareness against Liverpool, yes you played an average game in the EL but won with your 2nd string set up and now you've just demolished a team playing with low block, something everyone said you couldn't do. Now all you have to do is score penalties when you get them!

Do things really look as bad as many have been suggesting? or would another new manager starting from scratch be the answer?

Bojan11

What a surprise, your main striker comes back from injury, the pressure is off Rashford a little and your attack has their best game for a while. You've jumped upto 7th had two away wins on the trot and a draw against a team noone could take points from.

James looks like one of the premiership signings of the season and your defence is massively improved. More 1st team players are due to come back from injury. Ole showed great tactical awareness against Liverpool, yes you played an average game in the EL but won with your 2nd string set up and now you've just demolished a team playing with low block, something everyone said you couldn't do. Now all you have to do is score penalties when you get them!

Do things really look as bad as many have been suggesting? or would another new manager starting from scratch be the answer?
Oh yipee we won our first Prem away game in nearly 6 months against Norwich. We should celebrate for the hills.

It was Oles decision not to replace the striker we had. It was his decision to loan out the other striker we had whilst paying most his wages to piss off.

If he can get the team playing well for the next month or so that would be great. But Norwich are one of the bottom teams you love to play because they going to open up against you and won’t be sitting back. When a team sets themselves up like how Newcastle did then lies the problem. It’s also so tight around the table that one loss can just put us back in the bottom half again next week. It’s not really a cause to celebrate because we need to start getting wins on the board.

hobbers

? They wouldn't be starting from scratch, they'd be starting from the exact point Ole is at right now.

He doesn't have a monopoly on the wisdom of signing the two highest rated available English defenders for massive money or some rapid kid from the Championship. It's not like he's got a good formation or tactical approach that it would be a shame to rip up. If any other manager came in the door now they would be playing James, AWB and Maguire every week as well, it's not rocket science.

Strelok

I'm still "keep" but if we lose today & the performance is dire as usual then he should go.
Thanks God both didn't happen :D

Really happy with the win and the performance. We look solid and the football was very enjoyable :D

lsd

The Oracle
He's had time. There should be at least some green shoots of progress. If this was anyone but Ole people would not be suggesting give them more time.

The two managers you mentioned at least were showing how they wanted their teams to play, albeit making the most of the resources at their disposal. The same cannot be said for Solskjaer.

Yes hes had two monthes to show the results of long term plans

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
? They wouldn't be starting from scratch, they'd be starting from the exact point Ole is at right now.

He doesn't have a monopoly on the wisdom of signing the two highest rated available English defenders for massive money or some rapid kid from the Championship. It's not like he's got a good formation or tactical approach that it would be a shame to rip up. If any other manager came in the door now they would be playing James, AWB and Maguire every week as well, it's not rocket science.
I get that Ole doesnt have people's trust at the moment, your results are testament to that. But I dont understand why there is an push to place all the issues on his shoulders but claim any positives are nothing to do with him.

He may not have unearthed new gens for your defence, but he saw the problem, named the players he wanted and got them and in one close season massively improved your defence, something Jose and LvG failed to do. James is far more than just a rapid kid from the Championship, he looks class and a steal for 15 million. If Leicester had signed him everyone would be bemoaning your lack of scouting and risk taking.

And it clearly is rocket science no in the last 6 years has got Utd playing well despite their experience or past triumphs with other teams, if it wasn't rocket science every team would be playing like Liverpool or City. Do I think Ole is the next all conquering manager, no probably not, but he has the team's backing seemingly and the clubs and without your injuries things would be looking alot rosier

NK86

Still out. However if we play like this and improve further continuously till at least December, I would start to think maybe he can get another summer transfer window. Not jumping to change my decision on one good performance in 3 months.

Caesar2290

Delighted with the performance, but I’m still in the “Ole Out” camp.

Big tests are coming up which will shape his future here.

I’m not too worried about Chelsea as we tend to do really well against teams who give us space.

Bournemouth and Brighton and Hove are the real litmus tests. If we manage to get 2 wins, then I’m definitely going to change my vote to “Keep till the end of the season”.

If he fails and we do end up sacking him, we need to bring a replacement who will integrate youth into the setup a la LvG or Ole.

Our current youngsters are too good just to write them off. If coached and managed properly, they could save us hundreds of millions in transfers.
I’ve never been this excited for our academy lads since the class of ‘92(no, I’m not comparing them)

Tony247

Yesterday Norwich were overconfident of themselves and played open game for united to exploit. Any other bottom team would have parked the bus and played counter attack or even settle for draw against united.

lysglimt

Scout
The way I see it - once the players turn on the manager, that is when he should go. Right now - I see a team working their socks off for the manager. I see progress from several of the players - I mean even Fred is starting to look like a player.

To fire a manager imo would simply be wrong when there are clear and obvious errors in the group of players that can be fixed (everyone can see that we are 2-3 quality players short - but that problem will be the same regardless of who is the manager) - and especially when in OGS we have for the first time since SAF a manager who actually has a 100% record in signing good players. That makes me very excited about what will come in january or next summer.

And I agree the results of course havent been good enough - but I honestly believe we are moving in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.