Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
It was initially. A lot better than what Ole had been doing recently. He just went offline later in his tenure. The problem with LVG was that he knew that he was an interim manager and that Giggs was going to take over. His mind was really not in it. He was the right choice at that time due to the fiasco of Moyes. We needed a big name man who has won everything. I would say his biggest mistake was not buying a player maker and he tried to shift Rooney into that.
Louis is that you?

LvG was the successor of Giggs, and he very much had a permanent position here. If he knew he was just a temporary manager, why was he so salty when he got sacked? LvG's numerous transfer fiascos is his own fault, he had a very good playmaker (Kagawa) who he sold for a measly 8 million.

el3mel

LvG had the tools to succeed here but flopped miserably during his second season
His first season had loads of positives to build on, but he threw everthing in his second season and played a totally different and terrible style, while fecking up the squad in summer. It's shame but he was out of his depth by the time he left.

TRUERED89

Hahaha so funny. Good one. It’s much more exciting seeing us get dicked by Bournemouth, West Ham, Newcastle & nearer relegation than top 4. It was so terrible seeing us get top 4 & win a cup & demolish City & Liverpool. Outplaying then at Anfield. But yeh you’re right that was boring. Long live Ole!!!
LVG finished 5th when we won the FAC. Apart from the big games, any teams that sat back we were literally bored and tortured to sleep every week!

midnightmare

It was initially. A lot better than what Ole had been doing recently. He just went offline later in his tenure. The problem with LVG was that he knew that he was an interim manager and that Giggs was going to take over. His mind was really not in it. He was the right choice at that time due to the fiasco of Moyes. We needed a big name man who has won everything. I would say his biggest mistake was not buying a player maker and he tried to shift Rooney into that.
Mate, mate, mate.... what? Unless you mean “till he got dicked by Leicester and decided to play completely sterile football every minute of every game thereafter”.

Roboc7

Can't believe people here believe LVG's tenure is better. Just look at the signings compared to now:
  • Angel di Maria - wack
  • Falcao - wack
  • Blind - Mediocre
  • Rojo - Mediocre
  • Shaw - Decent
  • Basti - wack
  • Depay - wack
  • Schneiderlin - Trash
  • Darmian - Trash
  • Martial - Great signing.
Now you compare that to Ole in his short tenure:
  • Dan james - Great signing.
  • AWB - Great signing.
  • Maguire - Great signing.
So why the feck should we not give him enough time to sign more players??
LVG’s signings were all over the place and hard to make sense of. I do think it’s way to early to label Ole’s signings as great though.

Maguire and AWB were players who it was almost certain would into e is but code extortionate fees. Both need to improve to justify those fees and be seen as great signings.

I would t be shocked to see us apply that same kind of logic to other signings, for instance Declan Rice brought in to replace Matic. Would be an improvement but massively over priced.

On a more positive note Dan James has been excellent so far and Ole deserves a lot of credit for that. I often see people even trying to spin this into criticism by saying Giggs recommended him. Ole made the decision, however he came to that decision isn’t relevant, so far it’s been an excellent one.

el3mel

Mate, mate, mate.... what? Unless you mean “till he got dicked by Leicester and decided to play completely sterile football every minute of every game thereafter”.
Actually this is a false narrative. We played crap football in his second season, but after that Leicester game immediately we played decent looking football in the rest of his first season. Not sure what happened in second season though. He threw everything he did and decided to feck up the squad and play trash football weekly.

Water Melon

Seriously? This is RAWK-like delusion. How many of our starting 11 or squad members will get in the Top 4?

2-3? Maybe? If so, how will that make us ''good enough to get us in top 4, yet alone make us title challengers''? Ask any current Top 4 fans here who they would take from our starting 11 or from the squad?
Or reversely, if you could pick a Top 4 player for every position in the starting 11 (versus what we have currently) and lets see how many will be United players.

Time to grow a brain.
I would bet my brain is functioning much better than yours. Also, I suggest you focus on increasing the number of neurons. Try learning a new language for example or do a PhD. Once you do that, we will talk about growing a brain. And yes, I am absolutely sure that our squad is good enough to be in top 4 this season. Pool and City are ahead, but us, Arse and the chavs are on the same level. And we do have a better squad than Leicester. The main difference between the foxes and the devils is that the former have a much better manager.

Water Melon

Injury free yes. With the injuries we've had you're fecking kidding yourself.
All teams go through injuries. Ole himself told that injuries can nit be used as an excuse for bad performances. Doing squad rotation properly is one if his main resposibilities. He is failing at that too. Ole was telling everyone that we will see a significant improvement in fitness levels this season, yet we look exhausted and fragile more often than not. Injuries or not we should be in top with what we have at our disposal.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I would bet my brain is functioning much better than yours. Also, I suggest you focus on increasing the number of neurons. Try learning a new language for example or do a PhD. Once you do that, we will talk about growing a brain. And yes, I am absolutely sure that our squad is good enough to be in top 4 this season. Pool and City are ahead, but us, Arse and the chavs are on the same level. And we do have a better squad than Leicester. The main difference between the foxes and the devils is that the former have a much better manager.
The main difference is that they've had their best 11 nearly every game. Or is he better than Guardiola as well?

Water Melon

The main difference is that they've had their best 11 nearly every game. Or is he better than Guardiola as well?
I'd say that this season, so far Brendan is doing better at Leicester than Pep at City. Up to this season it is a no brainer.
Manager career-wise Brendan has shown and produced much more than Ole. So yes, Brendan is a much better manager. Brendan at United would be doing better than United under Ole, while Ole at Leicester would be doing much worse than the foxes under Brendan are currently doing.

Alabaster Codify7

I'd say that this season, so far Brendan is doing better at Leicester than Pep at City. Up to this season it is a no brainer.
Manager career-wise Brendan has shown and produced much more than Ole. So yes, Brendan is a much better manager. Brendan at United would be doing better than United under Ole, while Ole at Leicester would be doing much worse than the foxes under Brendan are currently doing.

Basically this is how I see it. Rodgers would have this United team around 3rd/4th I believe. Ole would have that Leicester side around where we are now. Maybe a bit lower.

Mainoldo

RvP wasn't sold against his will - he just wasn't offered a new contract, so he asked Arsenal and Wenger to let him go to United. He turned down City to join United. I guess you could say Arsenal and Van Persie fell out with each other.
But where does it end? Alexis was a success at Arsenal. He didn’t want to leave Barca and only chose Arsenal ahead of us because of Champions League football otherwise we would have got him then. Basically Arsenal was not his first choice. We could go on with numerous examples... Carlos Tevez West Ham..

I don’t see what this has to do with him failing and us thinking we are too mighty to sign players that might not be their first choice. We won a treble with our second choice striker in Dwight Yorke. Each situation is different and rumours about us not signing a midfielder because of these concern you could even say Dybala, although slightly different.. is abit dim.

ReddBalls

Basically this is how I see it. Rodgers would have this United team around 3rd/4th I believe. Ole would have that Leicester side around where we are now. Maybe a bit lower.
How do you think Leicester would fare with Vardy and Maddison Injured for a couple of months?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Would Leicester be where they are if they had:
Chillwell missing 9/12 (Shaw)
Tielemans missing 7/12 (Pogba)
Vardy missing 6/12 (Martial)

How does it work with someone like Poch? Would he have more or less points than Rodgers if he was at Leicester? Where would Rodgers have Spurs in the league?

lysglimt

Scout
But where does it end? Alexis was a success at Arsenal. He didn’t want to leave Barca and only chose Arsenal ahead of us because of Champions League football otherwise we would have got him then. Basically Arsenal was not his first choice. We could go on with numerous examples... Carlos Tevez West Ham..

I don’t see what this has to do with him failing and us thinking we are too mighty to sign players that might not be their first choice. We won a treble with our second choice striker in Dwight Yorke. Each situation is different and rumours about us not signing a midfielder because of these concern you could even say Dybala, although slightly different.. is abit dim.
Well - let me put it like this then. If a manager has any doubts about a players desire to play for the club, he should stay clear. We have had enough "stars" who failed to make an impact because they didn't want to be here, or didn't show the necesseary desire

mu4c_20le

That's a 10 point difference. Do you think he can make Rashford score consistently while leading the line, or Mata grow a new pair of legs?

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I have to say i find this Rodgers worship quite bizarre. We used to laugh at him all the time when he coached Liverpool. His Liverpool career is not really that impressive. 7th, 2nd, 6th, 10th (sacked). Finishing second is not bad, but that was the season Suarez pretty much carried them on his own

Mainoldo

That's a 10 point difference. Do you think he can make Rashford score consistently while leading the line, or Mata grow a new pair of legs?
Do you think Solskjaer would have Leicester playing good football. Have a sured up defence with Johnny Evans and his sidekick? Have a squad that doesn’t pick up muscle injuries and control an attack that just has Jamie Vardy?

Alabaster Codify7

How do you think Leicester would fare with Vardy and Maddison Injured for a couple of months?

How do you think your aunty would fare with a set of bollocks for a couple of months?

I think he could and would coach our team to have more than 1 shot per game against basement dwellers and nobodies from Europe. I think he would try something different when things weren't going his way, take a risk or two. So yes, I do think he'd win us a good few more points - 10, who knows, but a good few more.

I have to say i find this Rodgers worship quite bizarre. We used to laugh at him all the time when he coached Liverpool. His Liverpool career is not really that impressive. 7th, 2nd, 6th, 10th (sacked). Finishing second is not bad, but that was the season Suarez pretty much carried them on his own

Nope. Not me. Always found him an insufferable bellend of a bloke but never once criticised his attacking, modern football that he imposes everywhere he goes.

Conor

In all of the threads I've read related to Ole, the people that want him to stay on are consistent in saying that they don't think he's doing as well as he should, that they are not completely happy with the way we are playing at the moment, but they can see some form of improvement, which is giving them some patience with respect to the bumps in the road.

On the other hand, the Ole out brigade are half screaming vitriolic abuse at him, and half telling the Ole in people that they have no standards and that they don't give a shite about what is happening to Utd. Both halves of this crew also keep claiming that the other side are completely blind to any criticism of Ole, and are acting like some sort of donkey following a carrot. I have yet to see a single person that wants to keep Ole say anything remotely resembling this, but it's not stopping the others from perpetuating this complete falsity.

Forums are weird.

Chairman Steve

One thing I'm noticing a lot more under OGS is injuries. No idea if it's freak bad luck but the huge crisis in February this year and now all these muscle injuries that have happened... not to mention Pogba getting used at Rochdale then getting injured again?

I'd start questioning the training OGS is putting the squad through. We never really had that many injuries under Mourinho then OGS comes in and they're dropping like flies at times.

reddevil702

Not likely but he would probably be smart enough to know that he shouldn't have sold Lukaku without having a replacement and that Mata shouldn't have been given a new contract. Especially when you're going into the season planning to play a formation that require a #10.

lysglimt

Scout
Think this here explains a lot why Leicester are where they are

Schmeichel 12 - Chilwell 10, Evans 12, Soyuncu 12, Pereira 12 - Barnes 11, Maddison 11, Ndidi, Choudhury 8, Tielemans 12, Perez 11, Praet 8, Vardy 12 and Gray 8

Of course it helps if you 3 months into the season haven't had a single injury. It also helps when your opponents are playing a lot of european matches - while your team can relax in England and regain fitness.

I am not saying Rodgers hasn't done a great job - of course he has, but I am pretty convinced that can explain quite a few of the Points they are ahead of us.

ReddBalls

How do you think your aunty would fare with a set of bollocks for a couple of months?
Great reply!

How about bringing some substance to the table and actually build an argument, instead of just throwing around unfounded and biased opinions? You can for instance start with explaining why Rodgers would make United better and Ole would make Leicester worse. Hard mode: "Ole is a shit manager" is not a valid argument.

Dve

One thing I'm noticing a lot more under OGS is injuries. No idea if it's freak bad luck but the huge crisis in February this year and now all these muscle injuries that have happened... not to mention Pogba getting used at Rochdale then getting injured again?

I'd start questioning the training OGS is putting the squad through. We never really had that many injuries under Mourinho then OGS comes in and they're dropping like flies at times.
I´m not sure what kind of injury Matic has, otherwise Shaw is the only player out now with a muscle injury (hamstering). I´m not sure there is much that could have been done to prevent the injuries of the current ones sidelined. McTominay, e.g., was heavily stepped on his food when he twisted it and I don´t think you need to be an united player to get injured from that. If you get a knock to your ankle, like Pogba did, there is not much you can do about it either. There has been some portion of bad luck, I think it´s safe to say.

McTominay: ankle injury
Pogba: ankle injury
Shaw: muscle injury (hamstring)
Bailly: knee injury
Matic: ?
Tuanzebe: hip injury
Fosu-Menza: knee injury
Dalot: hip injury

SteveW

All teams go through injuries. Ole himself told that injuries can nit be used as an excuse for bad performances. Doing squad rotation properly is one if his main resposibilities. He is failing at that too. Ole was telling everyone that we will see a significant improvement in fitness levels this season, yet we look exhausted and fragile more often than not. Injuries or not we should be in top with what we have at our disposal.
The quality of the fringe players is the problem. In some positions like striker and midfield we don't even have the numbers.

lysglimt

Scout

Well - if you look at matches played during the 17/18 season - you will see that we have a fair amount of injuries back then. But our squad was much bigger so it wasn't quite as obvious. In addition - the fittest (or at least - the players who tended to stay clear of injuries) have either left or are not playing much anymore - like Lingard, Matic, Mata, Lukaku, Valencia, Young and Smalling

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
28. October

14. November

Although only one percent, it’s still interesting that more want to keep Ole now than 2 weeks ago.

meamth

28. October

14. November

Although only one percent, it’s still interesting that more want to keep Ole now than 2 weeks ago.
Oh can't wait for Ole to prove them all wrong. Backing him to succeed here.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
It'll be at the back end of the season before we see any significant/obvious improvement.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Great reply!

How about bringing some substance to the table and actually build an argument, instead of just throwing around unfounded and biased opinions? You can for instance start with explaining why Rodgers would make United better and Ole would make Leicester worse. Hard mode: "Ole is a shit manager" is not a valid argument.
If that's the way you wanna to play.

There's no evidence SAF in his prime can make leicester better, because "SAF is a great manager" is not a valid argument

Withnail

Schmeichel 12 - Chilwell 10, Evans 12, Soyuncu 12, Pereira 12 - Barnes 11, Maddison 11, Ndidi, Choudhury 8, Tielemans 12, Perez 11, Praet 8, Vardy 12 and Gray 8

Of course it helps if you 3 months into the season haven't had a single injury. It also helps when your opponents are playing a lot of european matches - while your team can relax in England and regain fitness.

I am not saying Rodgers hasn't done a great job - of course he has, but I am pretty convinced that can explain quite a few of the Points they are ahead of us.
I think there's enough evidence in the number of goals scored vs chances created and xg to suggest Leicester are over-performing at the moment.

Things will become clearer by January and I think it's a bit early to judge.

A few injuries or a dip in form here or there could change things.

Kemizee

No one wants us to end up like Arsenal and Spurs, celebrating CL qualification and the occasional domestic Cup every once in a while. But it's not the same.

Football is still a result-based industry. Even in this age of post-modernism, when opinions seem to be more important than facts, there has to be some point where you draw the line. Solskjaer had 6 whole months to assess the squad. The players who left, they were shipped because it was his decision (even in Herrera's case, it was clear as day that he favoured McT for the role next to Pogba). We're all happy with the players who joined. It was also his decision to trust the academy players instead of opting for stop-gap solutions until "the right player becomes available" (his own words). I'm not trying to remove Woodward from the bigger picture, but let's just not pretend that Solskjaer some kind of a sacrificial lamb. Otherwise, it's not his rebuild but Woodward's. And we know that's not the case.

Now, on a theoretical level, one can argue there's nothing wrong with Solskjaer's decisions over the last 10 months or so: Some of the deadwood is gone, the new players are doing well, we've seen academy players being more involved. Furthermore, Maguire-Lindelof looks like a modern CB partnership, McTominay has risen to prominence under his guidance and Tony/Rashy seem to have finally started developing good chemistry between them. But, despite all of that, the results on the pitch have worsened. We have won 4/12 league games (without having played any of the top-six, including Leicester, away from home), there were games in which we barely registered a decent shot on target and we have been outwitted on the pitch by managers who nobody rates highly and teams that are clearly less talented than ours.

If we are going to be fair (leave aside those who resort to insults or use colourful adjectives to describe someone who has scored nearly 200 goals for us), most of the people who voted "sack" were screaming last summer that the squad was in dire need of strengthening. It wasn't them who were claiming that the kids would suffice. And it was Solskjaer who told the former to shut up. Now, we're talking about the next 3,4,5 transfer windows and the poor state of the squad is used as an excuse for Solskjaer... Something doesn't seem to add up here.

So, my question is: What if the right players don't become available next summer too? What if we can't convince them of a better future with us when all they will see is an unproven manager trying to steer a midtable club? What if the best English talent chooses Liverpool, City or even Lampard's Chelsea? What course of action will we take then? What if a huge salary is our best way to attract the players we want? Will Solskjaer be able to man-manage these, if he deems their quality necessary? Or will he keep waiting until the next Class of '92 emerges from the ranks?

We need to start winning football matches, we must show as a club that it bothers us to be in our current state. We must have targets to reach. And we must be very careful with what message we are trying to send. Why did Bayern Munich sack Kovacs? He could still win them the double, after all. It's to make the point that these type of performances are not acceptable. The United way and all that is attached to it is something that Solskjaer (and the board) can sell to us. The rest of the world, future targets included, simply doesn't give two fecks. They look at the table and the performances. And they'll probably tell you: "Thanks for the offer but i prefer the Pep or the Klopp way".

Solskjaer's best period at United was when he was managing a squad he himself didn't think was good enough. At the start of his rebuilding job, results haven't got better. You can choose to be more patient because you like his general approach. But if we finish 10th, his first season will be a failure. You may still believe that at the end of his contract things will be much better but that's not a fact, it's your opinion. And some others will still be of the opinion that things won't improve in the near future. But United finishing 10th and without something to show for in the EL is bad, no matter how you try to spin it.
I keep on saying that the biggest problem of this club is nothing other lack of accountability and standards have sunk to unacceptable levels. When you don't have standards, the very top players won't wanna be part of your project(the buzzword for clubs that are trying to sell themselves to players who otherwise wouldn't join them).

It's well and fine to say we need 3 transfer windows but what if we can't attract the right players after all of that? We must get our acts right soon.

Kemizee

The main idea what the club is doing is to make progress & build a team for long term future success. How? Developing Martial & Rashford to be our future main star players.

I am sure the club is aware that not signing proven players like what we did in the past (Zlatan, Sanchez & Lukaku caliber for example) but relying on young & less proven players like Martial, Rashford, Greenwood & James means we are taking risk for our CL spot due to up and down form from them. But it's part of a plan that I can see it as positive for the future of the club. Even without CL spot, we will still be able to keep all our XI players except Pogba. Without CL spot, we might not be able to attract mega signing but imo there are many very good & talented players available out there that we can sign, wants to play for us and suit our system to improve us massively. Daniel James is one of the example.

I like the idea that Ole is going to for our squad focusing on developing the talented players, careful in signing players, trying to improve the players in the squad & we are actually playing counter press football with pace up front similar to Klopp, although against better opposition we sit deep since we lack quality in midfield. The result hasn't been good due to injuries on our main players. However, I believe we are starting to go in the right direction compared to the era of Mourinho or LVG.

Top 4? I think we will get it as long as majority our main players can stay fit (Maguire, Martial, Pogba, Rashford, James). Not getting top 4? Well I have no issue with it as well if we can have some positive if it means players like Martial, Rashford James, McTomminay & others are getting benefit for their development to be much much better players for the next following season.
Big positive plan for a club of United’s stature to not give a feck whether they play in the Champions league as long as a BIG, GRAND, rebuild is in place.

If this is the case, then the club is in grave danger if your top players don't challenge themselves and get angry at not competing for the big trophies. I would hate a United side whose players are content with not qualifying for the Champs League as long as they rake in huge weekly wages and you never know how players think. No one predicted Herrera's departure. You just never know how footbal pans out.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

All good points. Can anybody on here honestly say that we wouldn't have a fair few more points if we were able to field our best XI almost every game & had no Europa League to contend with?

tonnas

I don't get why the poll is 50/50.

The fans on here are so fickle wanting managers to come and go every year. They should at least let him have a full season then make an assessment.

So what if we finish 10th. Its the same as 5th or even 2nd in my opinion. We don't want to become Arsenal and Spurs and count top 4 as job done year in year out.

We build a squad over a couple of years to win a title if it doesn't work we move on.
Thats the problems with fans like you

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Big positive plan for a club of United’s stature to not give a feck whether they play in the Champions league as long as a BIG, GRAND, rebuild is in place.

If this is the case, then the club is in grave danger if your top players don't challenge themselves and get angry at not competing for the big trophies. I would hate a United side whose players are content with not qualifying for the Champs League as long as they rake in huge weekly wages and you never know how players think. No one predicted Herrera's departure. You just never know how footbal pans out.
No one never know how football pans out, thus why I can't predict the future whether what we are doing will give us the result what we wanted. However what we are doing right now is the opposite of what Jose did which what Jose did wasn't working for us and it was proven.

We aren't ignoring the young players in our current squad such as Martial, Rashford and etc so we can waste money on ageing, more experienced & proven players like Matic, Perisic, Lukaku and etc anymore just for getting CL spot.

We wanted to develop and improving what we have & the talented we have so we can build a great team for success in the future. Will it work? Who knows. But this is the step we must do. Do you have another different way? Let us know, otherwise there is no point of complaining about it if you don't know what should we do better!

Status
Not open for further replies.