Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
No doubt it was two amazing wins but I always felt it was possible we'd get a few points off Spurs and City anyway because that's just the sort of team we've been this last year. It was reactionary to hire Ole full time after the PSG game and it'd be reactionary of me to now say we should be keeping him after those two wins, but I am delighted with them.

Let's see where we are on Jan 1st after we've played Everton, Newcastle, Burnley, and Warford. I'm more concerned with our ability to win games against teams like this. if we look like the same sort of side against those teams as we did in the last two games then I'd say we're on the right path.

Keefy18

Firstly I’m as happy anyone watching the game yesterday & Spurs. I’m happy for the club & Ole.

Howe this doesn’t mean he’s the man to lead us to success. You can’t gloss over the fact we are still 5 points off 4th (not a great target in any case for club of our size) & have had some of the most insipid uninspiring football I’ve seen here for man years- the West Ham game was woefully shocking.
You mention the lack of depth - why didn’t Ole see this as a potential problem start of the season? He was too reliant on youth & made a fatal error or clearing out those he deemed unnecessary before bringing in replacements and this has & will cost us big time.

I would say it’s ‘mental’ to think he’s the right man based off 2 performances rather than the season as a whole wouldn’t you say?
I've no doubt he did see it as a concern but I believe he was let down by the board and our scouting department with relevant targets.

He also wanted to bleed the young lads into the side and the idea is short term pain, for long term gain.

Have you bothered to look at our form vs our rivals? Only Liverpool and Leicester currently have better form than us in the league and over the last 2 months (12 games all competitions).

This is a rebuild and rebuilds take time. He has had a single transfer window and bought wisely in 3 good players.

Reality is he is still left with at least another 7 players minimum that need moving on.

Defence:
  • Jones, Young and Shaw will no doubt be moved on in the next year or two.

Midfield:
  • Matic, Pereira, Lingard & Mata all need to move on also.

Attack:
  • We badly need either a target man or another wide attacking forward who is in their prime.

That's easily 7 players that Definitely need to be sold and replaced weathers its with youth or transfers.

But its folks like you that think every issue gets addressed in a single transfer window, it doesn't.

Devil81

I've changed my vote, he's earned himself another transfer window and the remainder of the season.

welshwingwizard

I'd love nothing more than Ole to be a success here, but I'm still on the fence.
2 great results doesn't paper over the cracks, not yet.

It's all well and good getting two very good results, but these teams played open football and allowed us to play counter attacking football, and we did it effectively. (The only negative is we didn't score more, which we deserved), but when it comes to teams that are happy to sit back, we struggle, and we need to figure this out.

The only reason we're so close to the top 4 is because everyone around us has been poor. This table could look so much worse right now, so I'm still on the fence.
This is where I am too. I think the argument about keep or sack should have been closed before and it was blind optimism on Ole in people keeping it alive. I now feel it has become a legitimate debate with arguments for and against.

We have improved recently but we can't suffer collective amnesia about how awful and pedestrian we have typically been this season. Ole has to make sure he builds on this and starts breaking down teams (and not that its just another purple one or two games). I don't know if hes capable but he has bought the season in my eyes now (previously i wanted him gone asap).

I expect a top 4 challenge though. Standards have to be same as they were for moyes and van gaal.

matt10000

Yeah, now you’re putting words into their mouths, that’s just weird.

You can absolutely think that Ole will lose a game and if so hopefully get the sack, whilst simultaneously hoping he wins. Obviously.

That aint splitting hairs, it’s just how it is.
Hahaha I think we will lose and if we lose I hope he gets the sack but I hope he wins and doesnt get the sack!?!?! What utter nonesense

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
We learned nothing about Solkjaer from the last two games that we didn't already know. This side is fully capable of getting favourable results against superior sides (Chelsea, Liverpool) but it means nothing he can't get side to perform vs the non top 6 sides.

Tony247

Last two games where players were self motivated. I will judge the performance when I see consistency.

The midfield problems identified earlier are still there and irrespective of whether Ole stays or not we should strengthen the midfield in the summer.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
We've played most of the season without Pogba. We've jettisoned a load of players, suffered injuries and only brought in 3 additions. Yet Ole is able to pull off some great performances. The only thing we're really lacking is consistency.

It's taken Klopp and Poch 3-5 years to get their teams to where they are now. If Ole can maintain a similar trajectory, we will be ok. I just want to see how he is going to be backed over the next 2/3 windows and what he subsequently does with that squad.

We just need to hold our nerve and ride it out. If we were playing Moyes/LVG/Mourinho levels of dire football he would have been out by now but at least we can see what he is trying to do. The togetherness on the pitch is something I haven't seen in ages. You only have to watch the goal celebrations to see that.

Ole is definitely building something. People were using Soopa Frank as a counter narrative but he's going through a sticky patch himself. And Poch was sacked weeks ago. It happens. We need to give our manager time.

Seano_thegr81

I must admit I have had the claws out for him recently. Felt like he was completely out of his depth. I don't think he's out of the woods yet though, its a great turn around but there have been far too many false dawns at this club. Id like to see a run of at least 5 games or so before I feel we've turned a corner.

Massive Spanner

It's taken Klopp and Poch 3-5 years to get their teams to where they are now. If Ole can maintain a similar trajectory, we will be ok. I just want to see how he is going to be backed over the next 2/3 windows and what he subsequently does with that squad.
Yeah, no, that's just not true at all. People really need to stop trying to compare him to Klopp.

Bestietom

We've played most of the season without Pogba. We've jettisoned a load of players, suffered injuries and only brought in 3 additions. Yet Ole is able to pull off some great performances. The only thing we're really lacking is consistency.

We just need to hold our nerve and ride it out. If we were playing Moyes/LVG/Mourinho levels of dire football he would have been out by now but at least we can see what he is trying to do. The togetherness on the pitch is something I haven't seen in ages. You only have to watch the goal celebrations to see that.

Ole is definitely building something. People were using Soopa Frank as a counter narrative but he's going through a sticky patch himself. And Poch was sacked weeks ago. It happens. We need to give our manager time.
I agree with this, If we can bring in players like we did in the summer in the next couple of windows, then we should be challenging for honours next season. But we need to start in January, with at least 1 midfielder and a striker.

Keefy18

So you're saying Liverpool where challenging for the title in his first season? That's interesting. I heard they came 4th.
Remember we used to mock Klopp and LFC for celebrating a 2-2 draw at home...with feckin WBA!

It became a meme for months on end.

I remember!

But the deluded Ole out crowd have revised Klopp and Pep's time in the PL and they were instant winners.

Massive Spanner

Why are you bending stats to try suit your narrative? His first full season, he finished 4th.

I really don't understand why you people see the need to try compare Ole to Klopp and Poch, it really does you no favours whatsoever. If you genuinely think there's any hope in hell that Ole can do for us what Klopp has done for Liverpool then it does explain why you're so fanatical about him, though.

Massive Spanner

But the deluded Ole out crowd have revised Klopp and Pep's time in the PL and they were instant winners.
Can you find me quotes where people say that?

As in, people say "Klopp/Pep were winning as soon as they came to the league", posts like that.

Go on?

ReddBalls

Oh I'm sorry I must have missed the part of my post where I wrote that? Can you dig it out for me?
Sure. You replied "that's not true at all" to a post that stated that Klopp has used five years to get Liverpool to where they are now. That would be "being the best team in the league". At the start of his reign they came 8th. His first full season ended on 4th.

I really can't see any untruthfulness in the post you replied to at all.

Nikelesh Reddy

That was a very good performance tonight. But until we play like that more often than not, I'm still in the Ole Out camp.
I think that he should get time until the end of the season.Lets judge him in May,until then let’s all get Behind him...

Massive Spanner

Sure. You replied "that's not true at all" to a post that stated that Klopp has used five years to get Liverpool to where they are now. That would be "being the best team in the league". At the start of his reign they came 8th. His first full season ended on 4th.

I really can't see any untruthfulness in the post you replied to at all.
Right, so I didn't say that, did I? You can apologize for putting words in my mouth now.

I said it's not true that Ole is going in a similiar trajectory to them, because it's not. They had both already done far more in their first year in charge.

By this stage Liverpool had been in a Europa final and had way more points in the league than we do.

I don't understand why people see the need to try even compare him to Klopp, it's stupid. One is a proven title and CL winning, worlds class manager, the other still has it all to prove. How about people stop comparing Ole to these managers and let's see if he can actually do a good job on his own terms first?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Nothing would make me happier than Ole winning major titles here, I've always loved the man.

In my opinion, Ole will change the culture here and set us more on the right path but won't end up reaping the benefits of it.

ReddBalls

Right, so I didn't say that, did I? You can apologize for putting words in my mouth now.
Well, if it is not true that it have taken Klopp five years to get them where they are, the only other option is that they became the best team in the league and challenged for the title as soon as he took over.

The only one putting words in your mouth, is yourself.

Massive Spanner

Well, if it is not true that it have taken Klopp five years to get them where they are, the only other option is that they became the best team in the league and challenged for the title as soon as he took over.

The only one putting words in your mouth, is yourself.
Well it's not, they were challenging for the title just under 3 years into his appointment. it's also not what I was saying, I just explained to you what I was saying, and you ignored it. it's clear from the part of his post that I bolded that I'm not saying that Liverpool were instantly challenging for titles. Go on, admit you were wrong and that you made stuff up to try be clever. I'll forgive you. We can still be friends, it's Christmas, a time for giving, so just say sorry and let's hug it out.

lysglimt

Scout
Our next 4 league games are against Everton, Watford, Newcastle and Burnley. These are teams who we should be beating but we have struggled against them this season.

If we manage to win all 4 games I'll say we're making progress.
so we need to win 6 matches in a row including City away to make progress - well at least you don't have unrealistic expectations

Acquire Me

Firstly I’m as happy anyone watching the game yesterday & Spurs. I’m happy for the club & Ole.

Howe this doesn’t mean he’s the man to lead us to success. You can’t gloss over the fact we are still 5 points off 4th (not a great target in any case for club of our size) & have had some of the most insipid uninspiring football I’ve seen here for man years- the West Ham game was woefully shocking.
You mention the lack of depth - why didn’t Ole see this as a potential problem start of the season? He was too reliant on youth & made a fatal error or clearing out those he deemed unnecessary before bringing in replacements and this has & will cost us big time.

I would say it’s ‘mental’ to think he’s the right man based off 2 performances rather than the season as a whole wouldn’t you say?
It would be mental, I give you that. It’s not based on that alone though. The fact that we have a long term plan and it looks like everyone is onboard is for me very promising.

We have tried a lot of quick fix tactics after SAF and it has not been very good. A long term plan will always be the best choice.

What I have seen so far:

- Culture
- Gameplay
- Player acquisitions
- Mentality
- How we deal with media
- Youth

I think we have improved a lot in a very short time. A long term plan takes time, it might be very bumpy at times and it need adjusting from time to time. Adjustment is the keyword in a long term plan, because it will never be perfect from A to Z.

So be mad at Ole and the players after a shit match or be be mad at Ole after a bad strategic call in a match, that’s fine. We are only human. That said, stand behind Ole and the players for the long term.

waza7111

so we need to win 6 matches in a row including City away to make progress - well at least you don't have unrealistic expectations
I wasn't expecting us to beat City away and would have accepted a draw buy yeah a club as big as ours should be expected to beat those 4 teams especially now that the injured players are starting to come back.

Judas

Open to offers
I wasn't expecting us to beat City away and would have accepted a draw buy yeah a club as big as ours should be expected to beat those 4 teams especially now that the injured players are starting to come back.
It's the toughest period of the season, even when we were at our best. Winning that many games over christmas is a tough task for any team, we've got a thin squad, you have to be realistic. I hope we see some positive results obviously, but putting so much on this run of games probably is unfair.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
He’s done well these past two games. I am still sceptical as we’ve had plenty of false dawns this past 6 years. He’s proving he can do it against the best sides but it’s the lesser sides where it’s the problem.

It feels like every one of the best sides we defeat, we then lose or draw to two lesser sides... and with the ratio of the Premier League in relation to us being roughly 6 ‘best sides’ and 12-13 ‘lesser sides’, it feels all the more like that. So two thirds of our potential league tally rests on the lesser sides

People will say we need creative midfielders, clinical forwards and squad depth in order to put these lesser sides to the sword with their 10 men behind the ball tactics. I hope this is the case but it still baffles me what the hell was going on in the summer, such as why it took so long to get players over the line and why we didnt buy more players when we knew that Herrera, Lukaku and Sanchez we’re going. We don’t know whether that means OGS overestimated the youth and players he already had, Woodward and the marketing posse are just shit slow at getting things done, whether a takeover is imminent and therefore we didn’t spend as much, some of those or all of the above.

Either way, we need to consider buying in January, preferably a midfielder... considering Matic is half way out the door and Pogba who is probably injured but he’s in no real hurry to get back playing for us because he’s half way out the door, and a weakness is creativity.

When we appointed OGS permanently, I felt we needed that DoF structure in the club to give him the best possible opportunity to succeed and if he didn’t work out, then finding a successor wouldn’t be as daunting as the club would work autonomously in the background.
Honestly, i would much prefer this over beating the lesser sides and then getting tonked by the better teams. Yes it will yield less points in the league, but it should be much easier to figure out how to consistently best the lesser sides than it is to figure out how to best the best ones. A couple of signings in January and a couple more in the summer, move on some more deadwood and i am pretty sure we would start to best the likes of West Ham and Newcastle more consistently

ReddBalls

Well it's not, they were challenging for the title just under 3 years into his appointment. it's also not what I was saying, I just explained to you what I was saying, and you ignored it. it's clear from the part of his post that I bolded that I'm not saying that Liverpool were instantly challenging for titles. Go on, admit you were wrong and that you made stuff up to try be clever. I'll forgive you. We can still be friends, it's Christmas, a time for giving, so just say sorry and let's hug it out.
Props for the Christmas spirit, but i've just pointed to what you actually said. I ignored the rest of your response because what you were saying in your following posts was different than what you said initially..

Now you're saying that Klopp made them challenge after three years, which is factual. I really can't see why it would not be interesting to compare the trajectory of an up and coming PL manager to the one who seemingly is the best one at the moment? If anything, that is one way to gauge if he has got what it takes.

Right now, top 4 is still possible and so is the EL. If Ole gets that, he actually have a greater trajectory in his first two seasons than Klopp who ended 8th and 4th with no trophies in his first two seasons. Or he might fail. We don't know yet.

izec

Now it is pretty much back him for the season really, i was in the sack him camp and i still think he wont be a mid to long term solution here, but i wont call for the sack this season anymore. He bought himself time with these two games and after pointing to the badge after the game yesterday, there is not much to say really. I hope he gets some transfers done and works on breaking down smaller teams when in possession.

Massive Spanner

Props for the Christmas spirit, but i've just pointed to what you actually said. I ignored the rest of your response because what you were saying in your following posts was different than what you said initially..

Now you're saying that Klopp made them challenge after three years, which is factual. I really can't see why it would not be interesting to compare the trajectory of an up and coming PL manager to the one who seemingly is the best one at the moment? If anything, that is one way to gauge if he has got what it takes.

Right now, top 4 is still possible and so is the EL. If Ole gets that, he actually have a greater trajectory in his first two seasons than Klopp who ended 8th and 4th with no trophies in his first two seasons. Or he might fail. We don't know yet.
It's not different than what I said originally because I didn't say what you seem to think I did, you're welcome to go read my post again if you need clarity, just wipe your glasses first!

I don't see the point in comparisons, it's setting expectations crazy high for Ole. I doubt anyone truly believes he'll have us as CL finalists next year or winning it the year after, or setting PL points totals. Klopp was already a proven, great manager before he went to Liverpool, Ole has shown no signs yet that he can reach that sort of greatness. Personally I'll be impressed if we make top four with him next season, let alone this one. I'd be baffled if he got anywhere close to doing what Klopp has done with Liverpool because I'm 99.999% sure there's no chance it'll happen. It's a fairytale scenario to try compare him to a manager like Klopp which is why it's so pointless to do it.

ReddBalls

It's not different than what I said originally because I didn't say what you seem to think I did, you're welcome to go read my post again if you need clarity, just wipe your glasses first!

I don't see the point in comparisons, it's setting expectations crazy high for Ole. I doubt anyone truly believes he'll have us as CL finalists next year or winning it the year after, or setting PL points totals. Klopp was already a proven, great manager before he went to Liverpool, Ole has shown no signs yet that he can reach that sort of greatness. Personally I'll be impressed if we make top four with him next season, let alone this one. I'd be baffled if he got anywhere close to doing what Klopp has done with Liverpool because I'm 99.999% sure there's no chance it'll happen. It's a fairytale scenario to try compare him to a manager like Klopp which is why it's so pointless to do it.
Fair enough, but if you believe Ole is not good enough, isn't it based on a comparison of his CV and results versus that of Klopp, Guardiola and the likes? You certainly dismiss Solskjær based on just one of those.

I agree that expectations should be high, but one should allow Solskjær the same timeframe as Klopp before judging him. It is useful to compare their progression because both clubs where in similar positions when they took over their clubs. So far, comparing their results at the end of their first season, they're pretty similar (6th and CL quarter vs 8th and EL final). Let's see where we're at come the end of this season.

Last edited:

Bestietom

"It's a Funny old game Football". Really hard to predict what managers can do, especially when they are given big monies to spend. ( not saying Klupp has) . But if if Ole is backed I think we could be in top 3/4 next season.

Hahaha I think we will lose and if we lose I hope he gets the sack but I hope he wins and doesnt get the sack!?!?! What utter nonesense
Absolutely, my belief was, no good bringing in a manager to start with Spurs & City, 2 games I expected us to lose.
If we’d have lost those 2, abso-fecking-lutely I’d have wanted him fired as we’d be heading into xmas 12th or so in the league.

I however, cheered us on like mad in both games and am delighted for the manager, the players, the fans, myself and delighted that Ole has earned himself some more time to prove I was completely wrong.

Why is that even a little bit strange to you? Are you 12 and incapable of understanding how life, opinions and “fandom” work?

For what it’s worth, if we somehow take no wins against Everton, Watford, Newcastle and Burnley I’d be back here calling for the board to make a change in Jan. I hope like feck that isn’t the case and that Ole wins all 4 games and then starts the new year by twatting Arsenal.

Also @matt10000 you’ve done this a few times now so it’s time to learn that the spelling is “nonsense” not “nonesense”.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Didn't see the game yesterday but credit to Ole for getting wins against Spurs and City this week. Still not convinced he's the man to take us forward and I still think we're better off sacking him if we hit another rough patch which will happen as it's the weaker sides that we struggle against. Top four is a big ask and I don't fancy us in the EL.

Greck

Now it is pretty much back him for the season really, i was in the sack him camp and i still think he wont be a mid to long term solution here, but i wont call for the sack this season anymore. He bought himself time with these two games and after pointing to the badge after the game yesterday, there is not much to say really. I hope he gets some transfers done and works on breaking down smaller teams when in possession.
Agree. Always wanted him to last the season, just not beyond. The formula for the season is set.

Infestissumam

I find this whole "Anyone can hit teams on the break" stuff pretty fecking stupid to be honest. "Oh no, we're becoming Wolves"

If people can't see huge positives in those two games I don't know what to say. Yes, we had to counter attack a bit against City. As any team in the world would. But they were rock solid, well drilled, calm and purposeful in possession, lethal going forward and they fought like dogs. Even the fitness was impressive having a day less recovery before each game and still outworking both teams. When City came at them in the second half they never panicked and just stuck to their plan. To see such a young side playing with such fire and maturity is hugely exciting. Even Roy fecking Keane was clearly delighted with the City performance. I've never seen him praise us before.

Ole has managed to sort out the right wing with James. He's got Rashford and Martial firing in their best positions. He's somehow got Fred looking like a quality midfielder. The defense were rock solid. Maguire organising and leading. AWB pocketing Sterling, De Bryne and basically everyone who came near him. Yet there's threads on here saying its a myth that James, AWB and Maguire were good signings.

As I've said elsewhere Klopp, Pep and Poch had to basically change their whole squads to get their teams to the current level. Klopp for example has sold 17 senior players and bought 15 since taking over. He finished 8th in the first season. Ole has signed 3 players. 3!!! We have a very young squad. We have absolutely no backup for midfield or up front. Nothing.

When Scotty was injured Pereira had to play as a holding midfielder and were were completely overrun in midfield causing to draw with SU and Villa. We just didn't have a replacement defensive midfielder to give us the solidity required in the PL. Both teams ran through us and we conceded 5 goals over the 2 games.

But those two games aside we've been on an excellent run of form. Fred and McTominay have won 6 of their last 7 together. We've gone from a team who doesn't create chances to a team scoring at will. Had Scott not got injured and we'd won those 2 we'd have gone from 15th up to a point off 4th. That's excellent form. And we still have Pogba to come back.

It looks to me like we are a potentially couple of CMs and another striker away from being a very consistent side. We have a manager who consistently out thinks and beats the best coaches in the game and a hugely determined group of young players who would run through walls for him. There is clear improvements in our play as the season is going on. We're now scoring loads of goals after being the team "with no attacking patterns of play" a few weeks ago.

The fact that people don't want to even give him a chance to add to the 3 superb signings he's made so far and just sack him despite the obvious progress being made is frankly just mental. It's time to strap in, support Ole and see where that takes us. Get on board.
brilliant post mate. Spot on.

Son

I was Ole out a week ago for good reason. This week has changed things. We’ve gone up the table and are looking like a serious side.

I still have huge worries but I’m hoping he can at least get through this season now. Looking at the way our fans reacted after that Man City game was amazing. One of the very best feelings I’ve had been a United fan and we will lose that if we get rid of Ole to an extent. Him putting his hands up to Sir Alex too was just awesome.

I hope he’s a success I really do. Do I have my doubts. Yes when we have to play on the front foot. He’s made us into one of the very best counter attacking sides in the world and dropped the average age considerably imo. It’s promising as long as we can start getting results regularly.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I find this whole "Anyone can hit teams on the break" stuff pretty fecking stupid to be honest. "Oh no, we're becoming Wolves"

If people can't see huge positives in those two games I don't know what to say. Yes, we had to counter attack a bit against City. As any team in the world would. But they were rock solid, well drilled, calm and purposeful in possession, lethal going forward and they fought like dogs. Even the fitness was impressive having a day less recovery before each game and still outworking both teams. When City came at them in the second half they never panicked and just stuck to their plan. To see such a young side playing with such fire and maturity is hugely exciting. Even Roy fecking Keane was clearly delighted with the City performance. I've never seen him praise us before.

Ole has managed to sort out the right wing with James. He's got Rashford and Martial firing in their best positions. He's somehow got Fred looking like a quality midfielder. The defense were rock solid. Maguire organising and leading. AWB pocketing Sterling, De Bryne and basically everyone who came near him. Yet there's threads on here saying its a myth that James, AWB and Maguire were good signings.

As I've said elsewhere Klopp, Pep and Poch had to basically change their whole squads to get their teams to the current level. Klopp for example has sold 17 senior players and bought 15 since taking over. He finished 8th in the first season. Ole has signed 3 players. 3!!! We have a very young squad. We have absolutely no backup for midfield or up front. Nothing.

When Scotty was injured Pereira had to play as a holding midfielder and were were completely overrun in midfield causing to draw with SU and Villa. We just didn't have a replacement defensive midfielder to give us the solidity required in the PL. Both teams ran through us and we conceded 5 goals over the 2 games.

But those two games aside we've been on an excellent run of form. Fred and McTominay have won 6 of their last 7 together. We've gone from a team who doesn't create chances to a team scoring at will. Had Scott not got injured and we'd won those 2 we'd have gone from 15th up to a point off 4th. That's excellent form. And we still have Pogba to come back.

It looks to me like we are a potentially couple of CMs and another striker away from being a very consistent side. We have a manager who consistently out thinks and beats the best coaches in the game and a hugely determined group of young players who would run through walls for him. There is clear improvements in our play as the season is going on. We're now scoring loads of goals after being the team "with no attacking patterns of play" a few weeks ago.

The fact that people don't want to even give him a chance to add to the 3 superb signings he's made so far and just sack him despite the obvious progress being made is frankly just mental. It's time to strap in, support Ole and see where that takes us. Get on board.
I could not have put it better.

Certainly among a handful of supporters on here who understands the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.