Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

M Bison

Supports
York City
It's the manner of how we get there. If we plod along and get beaten by teams that we should be beating -- then there has to be serious questions asked. I don't think there is a United fan out there who'd bemoan us finishing 5th, 6th if it was a close race and we played well. What we've seen at Bournemouth, Newcastle, Sheffield, Villa at home, Palace at home, Rochdale, should not be tolerated.
Yes in part agree, the last 2 games showing the fight and desire is great and what is needed but the performance against Sheffield for example was unacceptable.

I think you’re wrong re fans and acceptance of 6th. Lots have said that Ole should be sacked if we don’t make 4th, which is setting things up to fail

ReddBalls

Do I have to @ReddBalls? I mean even if you want to ignore past pedigree and just go off stats alone, in Klopp’s first full season at Liverpool he was 2nd at this stage after 16 matches with 34 points.
He still ended up 4th. I'd say it's interesting to compare their results as the inherited the same problems in comparable clubs. They are both hugely influenced by SAF and have some of the principles. I'm not in any way suggesting Ole is a better manager than Klopp, but I find it interesting to compare how he holds up against him results and progress wise. I struggle to see why you are opposed to his because they have different pedigree.

He still ended up 4th. I'd say it's interesting to compare their results as the inherited the same problems in comparable clubs. They are both hugely influenced by SAF and have some of the principles. I'm not in any way suggesting Ole is a better manager than Klopp, but I find it interesting to compare how he holds up against him results and progress wise. I struggle to see why you are opposed to his because they have different pedigree.
What am I opposed to aside from comparing Ole to Klopp? I mean, are you ok if we start comparing James to Messi?

If Ole ends up 4th we’ll all be delighted with his first season, but that’s a BIG if and trying to compare him to Klopp now because Klopp’s start was slow is daft. Klopp had won Bundesligas, been in CL finals, and after game 16 in his first full season he was 2nd with 10 more points than Ole.

Whichever way you paint it, as this point any comparison of Ole and Klopp looks awful for Ole so why do it? It’s beyond daft.

Last edited:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yes in part agree, the last 2 games showing the fight and desire is great and what is needed but the performance against Sheffield for example was unacceptable.

I think you’re wrong re fans and acceptance of 6th. Lots have said that Ole should be sacked if we don’t make 4th, which is setting things up to fail
My memory isn't the greatest so I can't remember many asking for top 4 or the sack. I will be happy with a top 6 finish as long as there is clear progress. We did show fight and it's great to see that the players are playing for their manager.

Pearson

Accepting mediocrity?
One season out of top four is accepting mediocrity? Do you mean that?

Seriously?

Can we just look at where we are at this point, given what happened to us since Fergie left? Are not we shambles?

For me, sacking Ole and replacing him with another manager to undone what he has done is more than accepting mediocrity.

Ole is rebuilding the team almost from scratch, clearing almost all the players bought by his predecessors and trying to get the misused to the right path.

Can we not underestimate the magnititude of his job?

Pearson

Many are still living in the past. United's pedigree is still the first class. But let us not be fooled by ourselves. We are shit in many ways for many years. More often that not, issues off the pitch were even worse than the team's performance on the pitch which were bad enough. Ole has done something great this season, his achievement is more than the team spirit and individual player's progress. It is a cultural reconstruction which, if you are a real Manchester United fan, is pleasing to see.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I don't get the negativity from some of you lot.

1. Ole has shown his tactical nous against every top 6 team he's come up against. He's quite flexible tactically switching his points of attack depending on who he is up against. Exploiting Liverpool's full backs beautifully as an example.
  2. He has managed something no other post SAF manager has managed which is to go through a truly shit period, but keep the dressing room on side and begin to look like he has turned it around. Moyes, LvG and Mou all lost the players support, he hasn't.
  3. You have a young core of excellent players who will only improve
  4. He rebuilt the defence, which is without doubt better than last seasons even in letting Smalling go could be seen as a mistake.
  5. Yes you've had poor games against lower teams, but these are fine margins and confidence is now running through your squad, you only need to upgrade your number 10 position to add a bit more creativity and I think that would make a huge change, Pogba as many have suggested.
  6. He has dealt with a huge run of injuries and your still 5th with players coming back.
I would suggest that behind the scenes he is doing well and the outlook for Utd is bright.

Foxbatt

Unless he starts winning against the teams that defend in numbers and counter attack us, he will be a one trick pony.
So far he has not been able to get his tactics right in those situations.
When we played Brighton in the FA Cup final, they did the same thing to us. Robinson and Smith would attack us with pace and we managed to survive because Smith messed up the easiest of the chances to win the cup.
In the replay Ron changed it around and didn't give the opportunity to do it. We won 4-0.

Yes this is a forward step but until we can play like this game after game I would not change my mind in that he is good enough for United.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

1. Ole has shown his tactical nous against every top 6 team he's come up against. He's quite flexible tactically switching his points of attack depending on who he is up against. Exploiting Liverpool's full backs beautifully as an example.
  2. He has managed something no other post SAF manager has managed which is to go through a truly shit period, but keep the dressing room on side and begin to look like he has turned it around. Moyes, LvG and Mou all lost the players support, he hasn't.
  4. He rebuilt the defence, which is without doubt better than last seasons even in letting Smalling go could be seen as a mistake.
  5. Yes you've had poor games against lower teams, but these are fine margins and confidence is now running through your squad, you only need to upgrade your number 10 position to add a bit more creativity and I think that would make a huge change, Pogba as many have suggested.
  6. He has dealt with a huge run of injuries and your still 5th with players coming back.
I would suggest that behind the scenes he is doing well and the outlook for Utd is bright.
Very good post, there are positives for sure and negatives too but what you said is true. Ole has show that he has good tactical knowledge going by his record vs big 6, we have very good young players who should improve with more experience and finally we are having fully fit team having run of games (still Pogba is missing).

He should improve his record vs defensive teams and things would be bit easier if we can have #10 who can contribute to the attack.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Unless he starts winning against the teams that defend in numbers and counter attack us, he will be a one trick pony.
So far he has not been able to get his tactics right in those situations.
When we played Brighton in the FA Cup final, they did the same thing to us. Robinson and Smith would attack us with pace and we managed to survive because Smith messed up the easiest of the chances to win the cup.
In the replay Ron changed it around and didn't give the opportunity to do it. We won 4-0.

Yes this is a forward step but until we can play like this game after game I would not change my mind in that he is good enough for United.
Our fanzine is called "And Smith must score" probably one of the most famous and disappointing bits of commentary in our history. However many times I watch it Smith never scores ..... but he should!

wrinklydong

Not sure why I'm picturing everyone in the boardroom wearing a Mandalorian helmet nodding and telling Ole " This is the way". Maybe Ed Woodward's Adult Disneyland is getting to me.

Gasolin

Same here. Were 6 points behind Chelsea at this point and with more than half of season still to play, I think anything than a serious challenge for a top 4 spot from here on, would be a massive failure. No excuses about players, or lack there of.. talks of long term plans... etc etc. We've seen that this team is capable of, we've seen that this team is playing for the manager. We've got the squad here to challenge Chelsea's and Tottenham's. We have to spend in January and if we don't, I don't want to see Ole giving it the aul' company man routine -- he already stated he was happy with the squad once this year, whilst it was clear we needed 3-4 replacments. I appreciate its difficult to do business in January but at the same time we can sign players now if we like, they just cannot be registered until then. Also, I get that clubs don't want to part with players midseason but again, we've left yourselves in this precarious position, we shouldn't expect an easy negotiation and a free pass. I mean, of course clubs will want more money, like what did you expect? Have them gift wrap them for us as a late Christmas present? Doesn't happen. Anyway, as I said no excuses we need to perform strongly over next month and if we do then we have to challenge for top 4 and in Europa League, League Cup, FA Cup. If we don't then Ole's position will have to be evaluated, just like any other manager. He has bought another month for me, and heck I thought that was impossible only a week ago. Hopefully, I'll be eating humble pie next month, and I'll do it gladly but I please no more false dawns.
5. We're trailing by 5 pts. And in Jan? We're not signing anyone in particular unless you believe in fairy tales. We focus with this team, and we sort it out until the end of the season.
And before you talk about spending money. There is not enough money, right now. We need to win the league and go to the semis of the C1 to have a chance to reduce the debt, so stop with the craziness of asking for money and let's support Ole.

mav_9me

Was going through my twitter TL and I agree with the tweet above. I still have major concerns if we can sustain our form. We have 9 fixtures that we should be winning in all honesty. I expect minimal to be points dropped over the next month. Anything other than that, and qualification to League Cup semi would be a total failure and would be a strong indictment of how Ole is only getting results against teams who are willing to play football against us, rather than him being a manager who gets the better of Mourinho, Pep etc. However, do well in those 9 fixtures and I think he should oversee January. The end of those 9 fixtures coincide with the start of January window. I think if Ole does well, over the next month, he should be given the January window to bolster our squad, and subsequently see out the season to try to get top 4 or win the Europa League or/and League Cup.
Agree.

I think we are just game raisers (partly cuz we find it easier to play on the counter with our pace)

Ultimately if we don't beat Everton /Newcastle /Burnley... It will just prove the point. We are just game raisers.

Gasolin

It's not different than what I said originally because I didn't say what you seem to think I did, you're welcome to go read my post again if you need clarity, just wipe your glasses first!

I don't see the point in comparisons, it's setting expectations crazy high for Ole. I doubt anyone truly believes he'll have us as CL finalists next year or winning it the year after, or setting PL points totals. Klopp was already a proven, great manager before he went to Liverpool, Ole has shown no signs yet that he can reach that sort of greatness. Personally I'll be impressed if we make top four with him next season, let alone this one. I'd be baffled if he got anywhere close to doing what Klopp has done with Liverpool because I'm 99.999% sure there's no chance it'll happen. It's a fairytale scenario to try compare him to a manager like Klopp which is why it's so pointless to do it.
Why? Apparently we know how to play against top teams who are not afraid, so on the contrary, in the CL, we will be flying since he can challenge or beat all the Pep, Sarri, Klopp, Tuchel, etc...

Klopp took over in Oct and did 8th at 60 pts. After that, he did 4th at 76 pts, 4th at 75 pts, 2nd at 97 pts, and now this season.
Ole took over in Dec and did 6th with 66 pts. Now it's his 2nd year. If he does 4th at 76 pts, he's on par with Klopp in results.
Since their football is very similar, though Ole seems to be more into our own 2008 team rather than Klopp's version of Liverpool, we should have no complain about that.
In fact, I think if it clicks again, we will be far better than 4th because the mental work he's trying to pass to the players seems to be of a much higher level than whatever Klopp did during his seasons being 4th.

And for the story about the EL or CL, well let's just see how it plays out then.

kthanksbye

Why? Apparently we know how to play against top teams who are not afraid, so on the contrary, in the CL, we will be flying since he can challenge or beat all the Pep, Sarri, Klopp, Tuchel, etc...

Klopp took over in Oct and did 8th at 60 pts. After that, he did 4th at 76 pts, 4th at 75 pts, 2nd at 97 pts, and now this season.
Ole took over in Dec and did 6th with 66 pts. Now it's his 2nd year. If he does 4th at 76 pts, he's on par with Klopp in results.
Since their football is very similar, though Ole seems to be more into our own 2008 team rather than Klopp's version of Liverpool, we should have no complain about that.
In fact, I think if it clicks again, we will be far better than 4th because the mental work he's trying to pass to the players seems to be of a much higher level than whatever Klopp did during his seasons being 4th.

And for the story about the EL or CL, well let's just see how it plays out then.
Because it's clear that's the only way we can get results, teams in the UCL will respond accordingly then.

As much as I'd love for Ole to do something like Klopp here, but I'm yet to see anything in our performances that gives me hope, right now we're a good counterattacking team that thrives when our players have space to run into.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
5. We're trailing by 5 pts. And in Jan? We're not signing anyone in particular unless you believe in fairy tales. We focus with this team, and we sort it out until the end of the season.
And before you talk about spending money. There is not enough money, right now. We need to win the league and go to the semis of the C1 to have a chance to reduce the debt, so stop with the craziness of asking for money and let's support Ole.
There is literally plenty of money and we don’t need to reduce the debt.

flappyjay

Agree.

I think we are just game raisers (partly cuz we find it easier to play on the counter with our pace)

Ultimately if we don't beat Everton /Newcastle /Burnley... It will just prove the point. We are just game raisers.
no even if we fail against those teams it doesnt make us game raisers. Fact is we cant break down teams but any team that gives space to run into will get punished. is there a team with a quicker attacking trio that ours in the league? without Sane city only have sterling, liverpool mane and salah but firminho isnt quick whilst chelsea have willian and pulisic.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
These past 2 results have earned him a rope long enough to last the season imo, now it remains to be seen if any progress can be made in the way we setup and play versus weaker sides. Our record v Top 6 is excellent but those type of games suit our counter-attacking style, plus we are always gonna raise our game against traditional rivals. However, being one-dimensional won't cut it at this level. I'd have no qualms in us finishing outside Top 4 only if it meant we don't plod our way through there. Performances in the nature of Newcastle, West Ham, Sheffield and many more are unacceptable. If we can remove those out, I'd be happy to reconsider my vote at end of season.

After 37 league games in charge at Liverpool, Klopp had managed 64 points. After 37 league games in charge for us, Ole has managed 64 points.

That being said, Liverpool started their first full season under Klopp like a house on fire, and had clearly improved from the season before, while we've struggled more. I think the reasons for our struggles are obvious (shipping soft goals, and a lack of depth and creativity in midfield and attack), and I think (or at least hope) that when these issues are sorted, we'll raise our game significantly.
In Klopps' first full season, he had them in 2nd place with 34 points at this same stage. Please, stop with the Klopp comparison. Their improvements were night and day in those 18 months.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

I've said this before, but vs Palace, Wolves and Soton we really were robbed. Really deserved 9 points and ended up with 2. Vs Sheffield and Villa we might not deserve 6 points, but we threw away a lead none the less. 15 points lost here, ended up with 4. If we had been a bit more focused and clinical in those games and had a bit more luck we would be sitting at 35 points now, which would be ahead of City

The only really shit games have been Bournemouth, Newcastle and West Ham.

In Klopps' first full season, he had them in 2nd place with 34 points at this same stage. Please, stop with the Klopp comparison. Their improvements were night and day in those 18 months.
Aye, this ”after 37 league games” drivel needs to stop, as do the Klopp comparisons.
As you mention, by 9th December in Klopp’s first full season he was 2nd.

Quite why anyone wants to compare Ole to the best manager in the World is a real head scratcher, and trying to use Ole great start to mask his poor form since the new manager bounce stopped abruptly isn’t helping anyone. Ole will be judged on this season and what follows, on a continuing basis, no-one will or should say, “well look how good he was in his first three months” because lots of managers get off to great starts, it has nothing to do with the here and now.

Zen86

We’re a young squad with a lack of creativity in the middle. Of course we’re going to be inconsistent at times and of course we’re going to struggle against teams that park the bus.

We clearly don’t have the players to switch up our tactical approach from game to game either. We will likely continue to struggle against deep lying defences until we sign a creative player who can unlock those kind of setups. This season, that responsibility has fallen on Lingard and Perreira, neither of which are up to it.

tonnas

Still in the Etihad had to post this

. We rocked the Etihad today the boys where unreal . That's for every one of the clowns on here crying everyday to get our manager sacked . Back your team back your manager and give him time to build his own team .

MANCHESTER IS RED !!!!
what if we kept and backed moyes? You cant blindly back any unproven manager (not talking about ole)

tonnas

I will change my vote if he improves his tactics and style versus lesser teams. Now we have 4 very winnable games that if we win them all, I believe we will be 4th (Everton H, Watford A, Newcastle H, Burnley A). If we win 3 of these game then he deserves to stay till end of season but has to buy reinforcements in January especially in midfield.

Halftrack

I'm fairly sure I said something to that effect somewhere in there. It was a long post, though, so it's understandable that you might have missed it.

b82REZ

As excellent as our last two performances have been, this hasn't proven anything to me.

Ole has always got us to perform in the big games, he needs to implement this on the other 32 games a season. If I start to see this kind of performance against the rest of the league I will feel comfortbale with him seeing out the season.

My main worry still is we are becoming Liverpool 2.0. Liverpool would regularly stand to to toe with the big boys but would look inept against the rest of the league. If Ole can irradicate this I will concede I was wrong and he should remain out manager.

I have always thought the board would stick with him until top 4 (now maybe top 6) is mathematically impossible and still believe that will be the case.

I really hope Ole proves me wrong but still don't think he's the man to lead us into a new era of dominance.

midnightmare

Why don't you compare him to Moyes then? Results even more comparable.
Strange comment. Comparison or contrast?
Moyes played 12 games against the top 6 and won just 1; he lost 8 of those.
I don't think Ole has done anything (yet) to merit comparisons with Klopp as a manager - but I can see the point made by @ReddBalls
Klopp had a great record from the off in big games and Liverpool's Achilles' heel at that time was that they routinely dropped points against "cannon fodder" - and specially at Anfield (if my memory holds). This cost them the chance of even finishing second though (again, not checked), I think they topped the Top 6 mini-league.

In that sense, Ole is comparable - as he's winning the big games more often than not, is clearly getting tactics spot-on for big challenges and is building a team he says will challenge - though not immediately (again, something Klopp said too). He's also dropping the silliest of points to the most awful of teams and the team (like that version of Klopp's Liverpool) blows hot and cold and can wow you on some days and look Championship-bound on others.

For the record, while I don't think Ole is anywhere close yet to meriting comparisons with Klopp, I think it's equally stupid to just dismiss Ole based on his history. It's not exactly his fault that he's a Norwegian and Klopp a German. Ole did well with our reserves and brilliantly with Molde before a botched job at Cardiff and another great spell at Molde. I'd judge solely based on what Ole is doing here and not just use his history.

For the record, Zizou was bang average with Castilla as their manager - was actually quite poor based on results. Nothing suggested he "deserved" a go as the first-team manager...and I reckon it's panned out quite well. You'll dismiss this based on his record as first team manager, of course, but that's the point I'm making!

ants7

If he delivers in the next reasonably winnable fixtures, I think even I might be on the verge of coming back to Ole's side. Really wish for at least 1-2 player(s) in the transfer window to bolster the squad. He might make a believer out of me yet.

ManuMou

Did super good against big teams.

Did super bad against small teams. I will judge his 'small team performance' again when he has at least 9 out of 11 (including Pogba) of his first choice players playing for a few games.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Lot of talk on here now about the failure to beat the teams who camp around the box. Surely this is more to do with the make up of the squad rather than the perceived expertise or lack of within the management team, in which case it shouldn't be a huge factor in peoples votes about whether to sack or keep our manager.

This week has answered a lot of the criticism people had about him belonging at the top level. Call those matches how you want to call them, it doesn't matter, but it must surely give people some belief that the staff are competent enough to understand what is lacking and what we need to bring in to fix that? Perhaps that means selling Pogba, or perhaps we need to wait until the summer to do that or bring in the right players to complement what we have here. We are seeing a vision of what this team can be, and could anyone not have had their heart strings tugged ever so slightly by the scenes after the game? The mood around the club is improving. We have to give credit for that.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
I dont think a week or so is a long time, no.
By the standards of internet forums, especially this one, it's an eternity. However to give you the benefit of doubt, i will see whether you make all replies exactly one week later!!!
Anyway really happy we won and hope this is the turning point for Ole and the team. As a firm "Ole out" I am happy to take any amount of abuse here as long as my team wins.

tomaldinho1

Agree.

It's logical as well. We actually have a good squad, it's ridiculously expensive and lots of players have generally under-performed but individually we have talent everywhere so this style Ole is developing which seems very much about aggressively countering in every instance, super direct football and then dropping off when the team inevitably begins to tire (which makes getting the first goal paramount) works best against any possession heavy attacking team. Look at our wins this season - Chelsea, Norwich, Brighton, Leicester, City all fall comfortably into that category. Spurs are the only one who don't but I still don't really understand what Mourinho was trying to do starting 4 really attacking players away at OT. We also played well against Liverpool at OT even though we didn't win - if a team throws players forwards we will always be in with a shot because we have a top keeper, a very expensive back four and are relatively good at soaking up pressure, hence our GA stats.

Our issue is in possession, either we should cede possession and just rely on countering which would be rubbish to watch, especially at home against a 'lesser' team or develop some kind of style devised for these teams. That's what's missing currently and that's the challenge Ole has because we've seen very little of it and everyone seems to pinning their hopes on Pogba coming back and suddenly being able to be the difference in these games.

For what it's worth, I think Everton will attack us given they're on the caretaker bounce and they're at home so can see us winning there. Newcastle/Burnley are the exact types of games that will test us.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Once we figure out how to beat the bus-parkers, we'll convert more of the OleOut Brigade.

Mark Pawelek

Changed my mind again. Keep now.

Plus side:
1. All of Ole's signings are good so far. Compare that to hundreds of millions wasted by LVG and especially Mourinho.
2. He's turned Fred around. Lingard is once again at least a shaddow of Messi Lingard. Rashy is burning up the pitch.
3. Continues to beat, or at least draw against the top 6 sides.
4. The squad is still not deep enough. He needs more transfers. Needs at least 4 more players. We can't pass final judgement yet.

If after another 4 players arrive, we still can't challenge for, at least #2, then get a new manager but make sure the deal is in place and the transition orderly (during the summer), and the new manager doesn't want to change the entire squad again; like LVG and Mourinho did. Any new manager must do well with players already here.

Ole should think about bringing in a new coach who specializes in beating teams setup defensively.

Greck

Was going through my twitter TL and I agree with the tweet above. I still have major concerns if we can sustain our form. We have 9 fixtures that we should be winning in all honesty. I expect minimal to be points dropped over the next month. Anything other than that, and qualification to League Cup semi would be a total failure and would be a strong indictment of how Ole is only getting results against teams who are willing to play football against us, rather than him being a manager who gets the better of Mourinho, Pep etc. However, do well in those 9 fixtures and I think he should oversee January. The end of those 9 fixtures coincide with the start of January window. I think if Ole does well, over the next month, he should be given the January window to bolster our squad, and subsequently see out the season to try to get top 4 or win the Europa League or/and League Cup.
Yep. In the past 5 years we have always given the big 6 a lot of grief. Jose and LVG routinely dispatched them. It's the consistency against the smaller teams that we stumble. The next draw/defeat to a bottom half side is always just around the corner

Status
Not open for further replies.