Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

b82REZ

And this is Ole's fault ?

He's the one who is trying to fix this tbf.
Is he though?

He's rewarded a lot of average players with new bumper deals, as well as signing players onto contracts way higher than their actual worth.

James aside his signings will also be a significant amount as well. Just because he sanctioned the loan of Snachez doesn't mean he's actively working to reduce the wage bill.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Yeah, no he's not. The stats are loaded to make him look bad. They're only showing his win % since he got the job permanently, they've completely disregarded his win % from when he was interim and we went on that 12 game win streak.
Since Dec 18(caretaker + Permanent)-
64 points from 37 games.
1.72 points per game.

Actually he is completing a season this weekend and the maximum we can get is 67 points which would have got us 7th last season.

On a different note, i don't care about stats if we can see an improvement in the game play. I brought it only because the poster who quoted me referred it .

Last edited:

shaky

Right now, I'd look at keeping Ole til the end of the season, but be looking to sign someone up in the meantime for next.
If Ole does well from now on, consider it a successful stepping stone. We absolutely do not want to be in a position where Ole does quite well, we miss out on our opportunity to hire someone else, and then next season it falls apart.
Heaven forbid our manager does quite well and so we end up not being able to sack him for someone else. That would be just awful.

bond19821982

In what way is he doing worse than Moyes exactly? He’s taken over a struggling side and made changes that have left us with one of the youngest sides in the league.
Despite that we’re in fifth place, under Moyes at this point we were eight (with one more point) despite him taking over the best team in the league and adding Fellaini to it.
Even Mourinho had us 6th at this point in the season, with three more points, and he had ibrahimovic and Pogba in his side.
Moyes points per game 1.73.
Ole since December - 1.73
Ole Since March - 1.45

Last edited:

bsCallout

You do know we're considering the last 12 months, not the small sample size you are referring to. Over the other 32 games we have looked lost and clueless for large parts. That shouldn't be the case 12 months into the "plan".
That statement itself does not make sense. You are judging him over his tenure, which includes playing with a team that 'wasn't his'. At what point of that tenure do you start judging if it's not recent form?

At what point did the plan start taking shape? At the start when he came in just to steady the ship? The bit after when he had to decide who he was keeping or not and deal with players who didn't want to play for us? The start of the season when our new players are getting used to playing together and he has to judge which are good enough to start? The period after when we are without some of the key players for his plan?

Surely recent form is the best indicator of whether that plan is taking shape, not the games at the start of the plan before it had even began taking shape.

Does that make sense?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Heaven forbid our manager does quite well and so we end up not being able to sack him for someone else. That would be just awful.
Risking being set back another 5 years because we didn't take our chance for the second time wouldn't be a smart move either.
It's about managing the risk and giving ourselves the best chance.
If he did incredible from now it'd be very difficult of course. We'll wait and see if that happens.

b82REZ

That statement itself does not make sense. You are judging him over his tenure, which includes playing with a team that 'wasn't his'. At what point of that tenure do you start judging if it's not recent form?

At what point did the plan start taking shape? At the start when he came in just to steady the ship? The bit after when he had to decide who he was keeping or not and deal with players who didn't want to play for us? The start of the season when our new players are getting used to playing together and he has to judge which are good enough to start? The period after when we are without some of the key players for his plan?

Surely recent form is the best indicator of whether that plan is taking shape, not the games at the start of the plan before it had even began taking shape.

Does that make sense?
No it doesn't.

The problem with what you're suggesting is it ignores the larger percentage of his games. We can't ignore all the games we've dropped points because of his shortcomings. Even considering recent form, that has to be more than two games and considered over a set period. We've been poor since April, that is the larger sample size, not this last two weeks.

When do we start classing this as his squad? He's being given so much leeway in that regard but we're 12 months in and I don't see his stamp on the team. We set up very similarly to under Jose.

troylocker

57 points from 34 games.
1.67 points per game.

Actually he is completing a season this weekend and the maximum we can get is 60 points which would have got us 7th last season.

On a different note, i don't care about stats if we can see an improvement in the game play. I brought it only because the poster who quoted me referred it .
If you're gonna post stats, post the correct stats:

Ole Interrim+perm 2018/19, 21 matches - 12W/4D/5L - 40 points
Ole perm 2019/20, 16 matches - 6W/6D/4L - 24 points

With one match to go for a complete season. Max 67 points, not 60. Not that it matters much, because both would have gotten us 6th last season. Did you really count Manchester United ahead of us on the table? Come on!!

Moyes points per game 1.73.
Ole since December - 1.54
Ole Since March - 1.45
Here you got it wrong again: Ole since December (64 points / 37 games) - 1,73 points per game.

Even in your previous post you operate with different numbers. Sloppy work!

Last edited:

DSG

You have a very limited memory then. We had 2 good games but in most we looked as poor as it can get with hardly any chances created, lost and clueless
I guess we differ on exciting football. I personally don’t like the side-to-side possession without purpose play of LvG. Or the loop it into the box style of Moyes. Jose at times had interesting football, but he lacked a Hazard-like creator, and Pogba was frequently played too deep. If we are going to draw at Sheffield United, I’d rather it was 3-3 with us taking chances and playing 20min of breath-taking attacking than 0-0 while we try in vain to punch one in.

ReddBalls

57 points from 34 games.
1.67 points per game.

Actually he is completing a season this weekend and the maximum we can get is 60 points which would have got us 7th last season.

But third based on the actual games played in that period. http://solskjaertabellen.com/

DSG

Don't think it's as simple as that, or every team would simply buy rapid players and defenders alone. The issue for us runs a bit deeper and results do bear it out. Against bigger teams, we're able to cover our biggest flaw - which is the absence of a really good, creative CAM / #10. In smaller games, this leads to us having a lot of the ball - but nobody who can pick the lock of a parked defence. Our forwards don't have space - and don't have someone behind to pick a sly run that earns them a yard. So even if the movement is good, we can't get the ball into the right areas to shoot. This makes us look toothless and incapable of scoring.

Against bigger teams, there's more space to run into (because they push forward) and that pass becomes easier to pick. This is where a guy like Lingard poses the issue. At his best, he offers pressing and running - and this works a treat in the big games. But he's not the most creative when he actually has the ball. His biggest skill is "off-the-ball movement". Hardly what you need in the CAM / #10 for smaller games.

No amount of "tactical adjustment" can account for this flaw. Then you look at the bench / squad and realize that with Pogba injured, Lingard really is the best option. Andreas is worthless, Mata too slow and behind those, all we have are Levitt, Garner and Mason. None is a #10. Gomes is lightweight and has not looked "ready for this level" in his albeit limited auditions - but more than anything, I think it's safe to say that Ole knows how to handle the youth. So we can probably say quite safely that none of them is ready yet to be playing that position for the first team.

The return of Pogba (the one player we have who can provide that creative spark) will be critical. If Ole can get him to play the 10 / CAM role effectively ahead of Fred and McT, we should see an immediate uptick in the games against smaller teams. If Ole is still unable to get anything, we should look at what is wrong tactically / in terms of setup / coaching.

We can of course focus on why he's gone 3 at the back in some games or his making subs very late on...
This is a very good analysis of our issues with mid/lower table teams, and these themes are throughout this thread.

I would also say that Pogba isn’t really a classic 10, but better that Lingard and Mata. I wouldn’t be surprised if we had some problems creating with Pogba in certain games as well.

troylocker

I think I want to cherrypick some numbers too:

Ole last 7 matches: avg. 2 points per match

...even better:
Ole last 5 matches: avg. 2,2 points per match

….even better:
Ole last two matches vs. Spurs and City: avg. 3 points per match

See how we're progressing?

But seriously, let's build on this good form and see what the future brings.

Momochiru

There are a few things OGS has done very well, so I'm willing to give him time and couple more transfer windows:
  • Improved existing players - Martial, Rashford, McT, Fred have improved massively. Pogba too had his best form under Ole and if it wasn't for injuries he would've been at the top of the list. The only players who regressed are the aging ones who have been on a long slide, like Matic and Mata. Can't remember any of our post-SAF managers improving players to such extent, maybe one or two players under Jose for a short period. LVG and Jose relied on a disciplined team approach, not so much on improving individual players.
  • Integrated seamlessly the newly signed players. All 3 of his signings hit the ground running and are some of our best players now. This has been a huge problem post-SAF. Moyes, LVG and Jose signed a total of 26 players and only 3-4 of them got integrated well, most of the others were a total disaster.
  • Promoted youth. We have the youngest team in the PL currently. LGV deserves massive praise for Rashford and Jose for McT, but overall their use of youth was much more patchy, and it felt more like a test and if they failed, they got discarded, while with Ole you could see the desire to improve these young players overtime and integrate them into the first team. The benefits of promoting youth will be seen for many years in the future.
  • Created a team that's very strong against the top teams. This is a very important quality, without it it's practically impossible to be a successful and win trophies. Moyes and Jose had much worse records, and only LVG had a decent record against the top teams.
  • Got rid of the right deadwood. Moyes, LVG and Jose made a lot of mistakes in getting rid of the wrong players and persisting with inferior ones. It's still early to judge Ole on this, but I think in the log run I think Ole's strategy would benefit us much more.
The only negatives so far are the fact that we are quite inconsistent and that we struggle against inferior teams who park the bus. Both of these will improve - inconsistency is normal for such a young team and especially if we add 2-3 more players in the next couple windows we will also improve our depth and our plan B for dealing with the low block.

Last edited:

Alabaster Codify7

I find it frightening how easily some people are swayed in a really definitive manner.

Since the City victory, the 'sack ole' tally has dropped by about 3%.

Do some of you really need just that smallest boost of positivity and feelgood factor (getting one over on City / Jose/both) to firmly change your minds about something? You must incredibly fairweather and undependable in everyday life.

You aren't formulating your own opinions, you're basically functioning on chemical impulses like an insect or something...…..or in other words, like The Hive Mind. GOOD RESULT - IN. BAD RESULT - OUT. GOOD RESULT - IN. BAD RESULT - OUT.

If you want him in, then stick to your guns the next time we lose to relegation fodder. Likewise, if you want him out, stick to your guns the next time he beats a top 4 team 2-1 with counter-attacking football.

There's nothing wrong with being swayed or convinced otherwise by something or someone. But it's worrying to do so so quickly and definitively. I will happily change my own vote to 'keep Ole' if he shows me signs of progress - IE - Beating smaller teams regularly and with confidence.

bond19821982

If you're gonna post stats, post the correct stats:

Ole Interrim+perm 2018/19, 21 matches - 12W/4D/5L - 40 points
Ole perm 2019/20, 16 matches - 6W/6D/4L - 24 points

With one match to go for a complete season. Max 67 points, not 60. Not that it matters much, because both would have gotten us 6th last season. Did you really count Manchester United ahead of us on the table? Come on!!

Here you got it wrong again: Ole since December (64 points / 37 games) - 1,73 points per game.

Even in your previous post you operate with different numbers. Sloppy work!
Aye, thanks. Post corrected.
Still on Moyes level though. Worse than all of our managers since SAF.

DSG

I find it frightening how easily some people are swayed in a really definitive manner.

Do some of you really need just that smallest boost of positivity and feelgood factor (getting one over on City / Jose/both) to firmly change your minds about something? You must incredibly fairweather and undependable in everyday life.

You aren't formulating your own opinions, you're basically functioning on chemical impulses like an insect or something...…..or in other words, like The Hive Mind. GOOD RESULT - IN. BAD RESULT - OUT. GOOD RESULT - IN. BAD RESULT - OUT.

If you want him in, then stick to your guns the next time we lose to relegation fodder. Likewise, if you want him out, stick to your guns the next time he beats a top 4 team 2-1 with counter-attacking football.

There's nothing wrong with being swayed or convinced otherwise by something or someone. But it's worrying to do so so quickly and definitively. I will happily change my own vote to 'keep Ole' if he shows me signs of progress - IE - Beating smaller teams regularly and with confidence.
Thanks for your positivity. We win and you’re pissed off that people saw something and changed their minds. Jesus. I guess some people are happy being miserable....

Alabaster Codify7

Thanks for your positivity. We win and you’re pissed off that people saw something and changed their minds. Jesus. I guess some people are happy being miserable....

They'll 'see something' again next time we lose mate, and switch their opinion back to Ole Out.

troylocker

I don’t think you’ve counted the new voters into your equation, Sir. There’s around 500 new votes the last month and a half, and that tells me that a lot of fans in here are either «on the fence» or haven’t bothered voting here for some reason.
Could you repost this post directly after the final whistle of the next match we lose, please?

Last edited:

*Riley*

Our counter attacking football works against teams that come onto us.. Shocker!

It's like folks have forgotten the dros that went before AND will return!

Let's see how we look after Christmas, I'm willing to put a bet on a slide down the table due to a failure to break the 'low block' teams down

youngrell

How many wins in a row do we need to have your permission to be happy with the manager, please?

Seriously though, I can see what you mean by the fickleness but you can't just brush off wins against Mourinho and Guardiola like everyday occurrences, not when it has been Ole's tactical nous that has been most in question this season.

It's more frightening how many fans seem to want him to fail, for various reasons.

bond19821982

I’m going by our league position this season mate.
And I am going by the points achieved through extended run of games (almost a season) .

Table position says nothing. Arsenal were relegation contenders until last week but now are only 2 points off 5th.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
They'll 'see something' again next time we lose mate, and switch their opinion back to Ole Out.
True enough. I've been Ole out from the start. I don't go game by game as many seem to be doing or else I would of been voting Ole in after the draw with Liverpool, then beating Norwich and Chelski away but then I would of had to change my vote back to Ole Out after the defeat by Bournmouth and the draws against Sheffield and Villa. It doesn't make sense.

I decided from the start to give it a 8-10 game run to see if I change my mind. After the last 2 great results if we can get 13 points out of the next 18 then my finger may twitch towards keep until the end of the season.

Maybe the voting should have 3 choices.
Ole in
Ole out
Ole in till the end of the season then look for a new manager.

Reading through the thread it seems there's posters who voted in that are willing to give Ole till then but if a more qualified manager became available they wouldn't have a problem changing managers.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
And I am going by the points achieved through extended run of games (almost a season) .

Table position says nothing. Arsenal were relegation contenders until last week but now are only 2 points off 5th.
Your points achieved were wrong anyway.
League position says everything, we’re closer to top four this season than we were under Moyes.

Alabaster Codify7

How many wins in a row do we need to have your permission to be happy with the manager, please?

Seriously though, I can see what you mean by the fickleness but you can't just brush off wins against Mourinho and Guardiola like everyday occurrences, not when it has been Ole's tactical nous that has been most in question this season.

It's more frightening how many fans seem to want him to fail, for various reasons.
Someone else above mentioned new votes which is something I hadn't been considering.

If I sustained improvement I'll change my own vote. Until then I'm viewing it as a week of major success that may well be another flash in the pan/false dawn.

bond19821982

Your points achieved were wrong anyway.
League position says everything, we’re closer to top four this season than we were under Moyes.
PPM is still the same with Moyes. It's not like he is doing much better than Moyes.

League position after 16 games says nothing. If we lose next match and our rivals win, we are back to bottom half.

ThinkTank@Cafe

May be should have put this here:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/harry-maguire-signed.447781/post-24355857

In my first post I stated that there was a plan. I had a feeling and hope based on Ole’s Molde, his history at United and performances last season that his plan was a neo-Fergian team: fast, direct, unbreakable defense, young and fearless players.

Turned out I predicted many things right including Fred’s contribution in big matches. Not because I’m genius, because there was a common logic in every Ole’s action. Every preseason game I commented on tactics and set up. Things started to develop long ago. Now watching an analysis from Tim Sherwood who “sees identity”.

Then I realized that a lot of people here: 1) either are concerned only the with result, and/or 2) wildly affected by media, and/or 3) don’t control their emotions and/or 4) unfoundedly think they are smarter than others AND 5) native English speakers who can teach me a lot of words related to conditions of sorrow, misery, despising, envy, and impatience. So, I just kept silence and learned a lot of words related to gloating and shaming.

Hope to show off my new vocabulary when we get into top 4. Please God, save us from injuries.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
PPM is still the same with Moyes. It's not like he is doing much better than Moyes.

League position after 16 games says nothing. If we lose next match and our rivals win, we are back to bottom half.
Your point was that his was worse though which isn’t true.
League position blatantly doesn’t say nothing or managers wouldn’t lose their jobs for being lower in the table than expected.
The facts are we’re further up the table in Ole’s first full season than we were under Moyes, and are fewer points from the top four.
We’ve also got a much younger squad, which is more inconsistent but more likely to improve as time goes on.

Zen86

By all means provide some quotes because havent seen anyone play the results down. The issue people have is that we do perform well in the big games and not the others.
I’m obviously not going to do that, but the original post that roonster referred to was quite obviously undermining the victory over City.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Partially his fault.

New contracts for Rashford and Martial on par with highest earning forwards in the league, players who have led teams to title wins and challenges. Before they demonstrated they are at that level.

A massive new contract for De Gea. An excellent shot stopper who has shown his limitations. He does not command his area on crosses, shown once again at the weekend. He does not cover the space behind a high line as well as other goalkeepers.

It was Ole's fault that he continued with De Gea when he was in horrendous form during the run. It was undeniably a major factor in us losing out on champions league.

My actual point was facetious.
Crediting Ole for being "only" 5 points off 4th, just shows how successful the club have been in lowering expectations.
Is he though?

He's rewarded a lot of average players with new bumper deals, as well as signing players onto contracts way higher than their actual worth.

James aside his signings will also be a significant amount as well. Just because he sanctioned the loan of Snachez doesn't mean he's actively working to reduce the wage bill.
The manager passes on which players he wants in the squad but he is not the one who negotiates contracts and regarding wages he has no power over what each player is paid. That's Woody

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

The poll is nonsense anyway. It's only the Ole out cult brigade crew that put any stock in it.

There's no way around 50% of all fans think he should be sacked. There will be loads like me that have never voted, it's just the ones shouting loudest that are desperate for him to be sacked. The majority will be wait and see which is effectively 'keep'.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The point is - I suppose - that if you genuinely think that he is tactically clueless, or the worst manager in the top flight (both of which has been claimed on here), you have to presuppose that the squad is actually brimming with individual quality: sit back and let them hit the opponent on the counter (with little or no coaching), and they will deliver against any opponent who leaves a bit of space to be exploited, including some of the best teams in Europe (coached by people who are frequently labeled geniuses on here).

Come up against any team that doesn't accommodate us - and we struggle immensely (in spite of having individual quality sufficient to punish top teams).

Does that make sense?

Not really, I would say. He may turn out to lack the nous, ultimately, to deal with teams of different descriptions (bus parkers, possession demons, gung-ho merchants - the whole spectrum) over the course of a season to a satisfactory degree (at the end of the day, as a United manager, "satisfactory degree" has to mean a proper challenge) - sure.

As it stands, though, he has clearly lacked at least two very important factors for most of the season: 1) a good (enough) midfield (a solid, at least, midfield combination). And 2) a distinct lack of creativity, individual players who are able to unlock defences (you absolutely need this - you can't balance that out, on the highest level, by "coaching" as such: if you don't have that player, or those players, you have to add him - or them - to your squad.)

You can put this on him as the primary decision maker (overrating his options), but the objective view would be that he simply hasn't had the required quality available on the whole, for whatever reason: naivety, Ed failing him in the market, calculated weakness (knew it wasn't great but it will be sorted by and by). But you can't say it has anything to do with an inherent tactical deficiency on his part: you don't overcome either the lack of a good enough midfield (in terms of sheer quality - Matic, Pereira) or the lack of a proper playmaker by "coaching". That would amount to either ignorance - or a downright disingenuous take on it, intentionally ignoring objective factors.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
The reality is that the progress under Ole falls somewhere between the Ole in and the Ole out camps.

The coaching team is quite inexperienced McKenna and Carrick don't have a huge amount of experience between them and Ole is relatively short on experience too compared to other prem managers. As a result they will make mistakes, bringing on Tuanzebe against Sheff Utd as a holding midfielder was a good example of this.

But there has definitely been progression as well. The team play has certainly improved since the result against Norwich, bar Bournemouth. The wins against Spurs and City were tactically very astute. People complain that you can't do anything against lower teams that 'park the bus' but actually you scored 3 against Sheffield and 2 against Villa. Scoring isn't the problem it's keeping the goals out at the other end, but defensively especially against City you proved you can do that. Watching AWB against Sterling was a masterclass in tackling and defending, you genuinely have the best defensive full back in the league there and given his understanding of where to position himself, it's not unrealistic to see how his attacking game will grow quickly as well.

People say Ole, Carrick and McKenna can't coach, but look at Rashford, James, AWB, Fred, McT they are all developing brilliantly something is going very right there.

Your poor run was while Martial, Pogba and Shaw were out as well as Matic. We know that Pereira isn't a central midfielder and for a few games it left you without any link between the midfield and attack. Rashford (younger than Tammy A) shouldered all the attacking responsibility and unsurprisingly wilted under the pressure. Once Martial was back Rashford's stats rocketed and he is looking a class player at the moment. Once McT came back and replaced Pereira and Lingard came back in at 10 there was a link again between the lines of midfield and attack and you look so much better for it.

December will be an interesting month and if you can get Pogba back (what is going there?) you'll improve even more. Even in his darkest days Ole has never lost the players, he cleared out the disruptive element in the summer, yes it left you thin, but it left with a better more positive team spirit. No other manager since SAF has managed to keep the players on side like that. Give the man time is my opinion, something good is building at OT to the point where when Pogba does go, and he will, it wont decimate you as it would have done in previous seasons.

Last edited:

momo83

Massive Snowflake
You do know we're considering the last 12 months, not the small sample size you are referring to. Over the other 32 games we have looked lost and clueless for large parts. That shouldn't be the case 12 months into the "plan".
Never thought Ole should have been given the job permanently, but would love him to prove me wrong. Players are back. No more excuses. Let’s see how he does from now on. As plus an advantage that I think Ole has over other managers like Poch and Pep is that he can be pragmatic, but on a minus other then counter and then sit deep, I’ve seen no style of play that he can use week in week out against teams outside of the top 4.

SteveW

The reality is that the progress under Ole falls somewhere between the Ole in and the Ole out camps.

The coaching team is quite inexperienced McKenna and Carrick don't have a huge amount of experience between them and Ole is relatively short on experience too compared to other prem managers. As a result they will make mistakes, bringing on Tuanzebe against Sheff Utd as a holding midfielder was a good example of this.

But there has definitely been progression as well. The team play has certainly improved since the result against Norwich, bar Bournemouth. The wins against Spurs and City were tactically very astute. People complain that you can't do anything against lower teams that 'park the bus' but actually you scored 3 against Sheffield and 2 against Villa. Scoring isn't the problem it's keeping the goals out at the other end, but defensively especially against City you proved you can do that. Watching AWB against Sterling was a masterclass in tackling and defending, you genuinely have the best defensive full back in the league there and given his understanding of where to position himself, it's not unrealistic to see how his attacking game will grow quickly as well.

People say Ole, Carrick and McKenna can't coach, but look at Rashford, James, AWB, Fred, McT they are all developing brilliantly something is going very right there.

Your poor run was while Martial, Pogba and Shaw were out as well as Matic. We know that Pereira isn't a central midfielder and for a few games it left you without any link between the midfield and attack. Rashford (younger than Tammy A) shouldered all the attacking responsibility and unsurprisingly wilted under the pressure. Once Martial was back Rashford's stats rocketed and he is looking a class player at the moment. Once McT came back and replaced Pereira and Lingard came back in at 10 there was a link again between the lines of midfield and attack and you look so much better for it.

December will be an interesting month and if you can get Pogba back (what is going there?) you'll improve even more. Even in his darkest days Ole has never lost the players, he cleared out the disruptive element in the summer, yes it left you thin, but it left with a better more positive team spirit. No other manager since SAF has managed to keep the players on side like that. Give the man time is my opinion, something good is building at OT to the point where when Pogba does go, and he will, it wont decimate you as it would have done in previous seasons.
Good post. Genuinely seems like you've been paying better attention to the games than a lot of the united supporters on here. You can usually tell the difference between the people who like football and those who just enjoy boasting when their team wins. We have plenty of the latter unfortunately.

ash_86

Good Post from an opposition fan. We are heading in a good direction and just need few more players to do it consistently. Hope more United supporters realize this and support the manager.

Strelok

Partially his fault.

New contracts for Rashford and Martial on par with highest earning forwards in the league, players who have led teams to title wins and challenges. Before they demonstrated they are at that level.

A massive new contract for De Gea. An excellent shot stopper who has shown his limitations. He does not command his area on crosses, shown once again at the weekend. He does not cover the space behind a high line as well as other goalkeepers.

It was Ole's fault that he continued with De Gea when he was in horrendous form during the run. It was undeniably a major factor in us losing out on champions league.

My actual point was facetious.
Crediting Ole for being "only" 5 points off 4th, just shows how successful the club have been in lowering expectations.
Is he though?

The biggest mistake here is Ole was not responsible to handle both new/renew contracts negotiation but you guys make it like he was.

Ole's job was only to decide which players he want to keep or buy and then leave all financial matters to Ed & co. So if you want to moan about the players wages you should go directly to Ed (regardless of your moan is correct or not, it's another topic).

Therefore we should discuss only his decision of buy or keep is correct or not. I will go case by case:

- 3 new signings: needless to say I think? You may say Maguire has not been up to his 80 £m price tag yet but he's improving our defence for sure.

- Jones: bad decision imo. However at the time of his new contract Jones' form was quite ok if my memory serves me right so it was understandable at that moment. And even with his new contract he's on 75k a week so I think it's pretty ok to keep him for a while.

- Mata: this is a difficult one. Mata was clearly out of date however if we didn't he would leave for free. And now there'll be some who would blame that on Ole. His contract will expire by summer 2020 so it's another understandable decision imo.

- Pereira: he's on ~30-45 £k a week depending on sources. And the guy is clearly want to play for us, he's just not good enough yet. He's still young so who knows, even Fred looks decent now. 30 -45 £k a week is pretty ok to keep and see how this would turn out. If not we still can sell him, with his low salary and low transfer fee it won't be difficult to sell him. He's our academy product so no lost there even if he leave on a free.

- Rashford and Martial: needless to say. Rashford was on 25 £k a week and Martial had only two years left. We must keep those two.

- DDG: another difficult one. His form was pretty bad at that time but given how much he has done for us, his recent form and the fact we could lose him for free and would have to spend at least another 50 £m on a very sensitive and crucial position as GK I think it's actually a good decision. Remember how hard it was for SAF to find a new GK to replace Schmeichel and you'd see.

- Young: I know we all think he's shit but we had no cover for LB back then. Play Rojo or a not ready yet Williams for almost all the matches we've played is actually a pretty scary scenario. And it's only one season so it's ok imo.

Our wage bill is huge and we overpay many players, that we can't debate but blaming Ole on this is just ridiculous. He's the one who trying to fix this ffs. Offloading Sanchez was not only to reduce our wages as much as possible but to stop all other players to ask for more as well imo.

By next summer we'll reduce 240 £k a week from our wages bill as Matic's and Young's contracts will expire. Hopefully Sanchez would go as well as it's another 350 £k a week ffs. That's almost 600 £k or 20 % from our current ~3 £m a week total wages bill now.

midnightmare

This is a very good analysis of our issues with mid/lower table teams, and these themes are throughout this thread.

I would also say that Pogba isn’t really a classic 10, but better that Lingard and Mata. I wouldn’t be surprised if we had some problems creating with Pogba in certain games as well.
I don't think "creating" will be a problem with Pogba - unless he's off-colour, which does tend to happen at times. The bigger question is how it affects the press and off-ball movement that Jesse adds. For all of Lingard's shortcomings with the ball, there is no question in my mind that he's among the best in our squad without the ball (in the opposition half). His pressing is relentless and movement is good. Pogba is (at times) the reverse. He is typically more languid and not the high-pressing #10. As such, he's far more suited to a 4-3-3 as an attacking midfielder starting from the left side. How this affects Rashford, I don't know but it will be a formation we've not played at all right from pre-season. It's going to be interesting - but I for one, hope that we get the fired-up version of Pogba in - who can terrorise defences and be the guy that turns our frustrating draws into dominant wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.