Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveW

Unfortunately there's different generations of United fans.

You come from the time where the club wasn't tradionally always successful, you've seen the hard times and the good.

Many of us are born in the late 80'90/00's and haven't seen anything but regular success, a year or 2 without a trophy was a shock. Its' difficult to change your mindset of regularly winning which is why this forum has become such a stroppy place recently.

You're right that it's abnormal to expect this, especially with all the competition we face these days, but wanting the club to win isn't "plastic". We just need to learn to deal with our expectations a bit better.
We all want the club to win. The disagreement is in how to start doing it. I don't believe there's a manager out there that will just walk in and win straight away with our squad. It just doesn't happen. We need a sustainable long term approach.

I'm happy with Ole because he seems to share that philosophy. While our weak squad hurts us in the short term I definitely believe we are in the process of building a young squad that will be able to play at a high level for years. Instead of signing players like Rojo and Sanchez we're signing players like AWB and James. Keep doing that and success will follow. If it takes a few windows so be it. I'm sick of watching hundreds of millions being wasted on new problems. Let's sign and develop young quality that will grow together as a team and not need to be replaced every couple of seasons.

I also see plenty that I like in Ole as a manger. He's instilling a culture of hard work and honesty back into the club, he wants to play quick attacking football, all the players are completely behind him, he always seems to get everything spot on in the big games (that's how trophies are won btw) and he's seems to have a real toughness and self belief that many other managers seem to lack. People talk about the job being to big for certain people but Ole always seems completely unfazed. All the abuse in the world doesn't seem to bother him. He just shrugs it off and continues with his plan.

Those are the qualities we need right now.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I don't think that's actually true - many people won't bother changing their vote
No doubt. Plus, my guess would be that the majority of those who haven't bothered to vote at all are "Ole in" to varying degrees.

In general people obsess too much over polls like this one. It was ridiculous under LVG at one point.

b82REZ

Why is that game key? Its been said about every match lately.
If, like me, their issue is our PL performances when teams sit deep it's a natural thing to want to se an improvement on.

Despite how much people want to make out we want Solksjaer to fail they couldn't be more wrong. If we start seeing the performance we've seen over the last fortnight I'm more than happy to concede I was wrong about the manager.

If we get results against the teams we've struggled against I will feel confident he is imposing a style and tactical insight that is going to work long term.

I still thing he will be given the January window to reinforce even if we return to struggling against the smaller teams.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
I'm still voting out, I'm not going to change my opinion on a 2 big games and 1 mickey mouse tie in Europe. When I voted it was based on his management to date.

Now, if he continues to get better results and improves how we play then I am happy to change my vote, I want a successful Olle, I think if it works he will remain a loyal manager for a decade at least.

Rish Sawhney

Yeah that's where I am to. Ole has won me back around a bit the last week or two, but we really have to show we can beat the inferior teams otherwise we aren't really taking a step forward.
This is pretty much everything thats wrong with the modern fan. If Ole's the right guy - he's the right guy regardless of the last two weeks. If he's the wrong guy, he's the wrong guy regardless as well. Flip flopping from week to week doesn't help the club it severely hurts it.

JoaquinJoaquin

This is pretty much everything thats wrong with the modern fan. If Ole's the right guy - he's the right guy regardless of the last two weeks. If he's the wrong guy, he's the wrong guy regardless as well. Flip flopping from week to week doesn't help the club it severely hurts it.
Thank you for the patronizing post, you don't deserve an explanation but i'll give you one anyways..

Prior until the past week, Ole's game plan and tactics were pretty much non-existent. He was over reliant on players like Pereira who have no business being at the club, and his substitutions in games was poor. In the past week he has pretty much reversed that, and we can now see a direction which is what we wanted. Add in a few quality additions and we have a real basis to improve on. We have to show we can beat the inferior teams however, otherwise he isn't the right man.

So save me your stupid judgmental posts next time.

Giggsyking

I am not changing my vote. The only way I am changing my vote if the season comes to an end and he managed a 4th place with a trophy, or win the europa league as an equivalent to the 4th place. I have seen enough of him that tell he is clueless when teams sit deep.

bsCallout

No it doesn't.

The problem with what you're suggesting is it ignores the larger percentage of his games. We can't ignore all the games we've dropped points because of his shortcomings. Even considering recent form, that has to be more than two games and considered over a set period. We've been poor since April, that is the larger sample size, not this last two weeks.

When do we start classing this as his squad? He's being given so much leeway in that regard but we're 12 months in and I don't see his stamp on the team. We set up very similarly to under Jose.
You're kind of missing the point. You can't choose to judge him from the point you determine, especially without allowing for caveats.

Why would you judge the man from April but not since he came in? So that you can make it look worse.

We are seeing progress, game on game. We know where our weakness lies, which is breaking down weaker teams defensive block. You have to give the man time to improve on that weakness, ESPECIALLY when we have been missing the most important player(s) to combat that in Pogba and Martial.

We have a fantatsic record against the top 6, our young players in AWB, McT, Rashford, James, Williams, Martial & Greenwood have all made strides this season and look to be getting better and better. Fred has started showing why we purchased him and De Gea is back in form.

There is enough reason to give this man the time to tackle the weaknesses, which also means bringing in midfield reinforcements.

Yet you'd rather look to judge him on a period that you determine, without taking into account all the variables and reason for optimism.

To claim he sets up similar to Jose is absurd and isn't even worth breaking down.

If you don't take current form as an indication of improvements, when do you? You are clearly one of the ones that would have called for Fergie to leave, and well, look what we would have missed out on.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We all want the club to win. The disagreement is in how to start doing it. I don't believe there's a manager out there that will just walk in and win straight away with our squad. It just doesn't happen. We need a sustainable long term approach.

I'm happy with Ole because he seems to share that philosophy. While our weak squad hurts us in the short term I definitely believe we are in the process of building a young squad that will be able to play at a high level for years. Instead of signing players like Rojo and Sanchez we're signing players like AWB and James. Keep doing that and success will follow. If it takes a few windows so be it. I'm sick of watching hundreds of millions being wasted on new problems. Let's sign and develop young quality that will grow together as a team and not need to be replaced every couple of seasons.

I also see plenty that I like in Ole as a manger. He's instilling a culture of hard work and honesty back into the club, he wants to play quick attacking football, all the players are completely behind him, he always seems to get everything spot on in the big games (that's how trophies are won btw) and he's seems to have a real toughness and self belief that many other managers seem to lack. People talk about the job being to big for certain people but Ole always seems completely unfazed. All the abuse in the world doesn't seem to bother him. He just shrugs it off and continues with his plan.

Those are the qualities we need right now.
Agreed. Rome wasn't build in a day, and neither were Spurs, Liverpool or City. People tend to forget that Klopp was in charge 2/3 years before they actually started looking handy.

This squad really isn't anything special, it's not like he's rocket up at Real Madrid and can't win a match.

We rely on our good players to play well, It's proven that when Martial and Rashford hit form, we generally win. Add a good midfield base of Mctominay and Fred and we look a team that's much more balanced.

I think Ole is getting it right, we've obviously had our wobbles along the road and we will have more - but he's not really been able to change the squad much yet. I really hope he can get some new players in January but we might have to be patient until the summer.

Riz

Agreed. Rome wasn't build in a day, and neither were Spurs, Liverpool or City. People tend to forget that Klopp was in charge 2/3 years before they actually started looking handy.

This squad really isn't anything special, it's not like he's rocket up at Real Madrid and can't win a match.

We rely on our good players to play well, It's proven that when Martial and Rashford hit form, we generally win. Add a good midfield base of Mctominay and Fred and we look a team that's much more balanced.

I think Ole is getting it right, we've obviously had our wobbles along the road and we will have more - but he's not really been able to change the squad much yet. I really hope he can get some new players in January but we might have to be patient until the summer.
That’s a beauty

b82REZ

You're kind of missing the point. You can't choose to judge him from the point you determine, especially without allowing for caveats.

Why would you judge the man from April but not since he came in? So that you can make it look worse.

We are seeing progress, game on game. We know where our weakness lies, which is breaking down weaker teams defensive block. You have to give the man time to improve on that weakness, ESPECIALLY when we have been missing the most important player(s) to combat that in Pogba and Martial.

We have a fantatsic record against the top 6, our young players in AWB, McT, Rashford, James, Williams, Martial & Greenwood have all made strides this season and look to be getting better and better. Fred has started showing why we purchased him and De Gea is back in form.

There is enough reason to give this man the time to tackle the weaknesses, which also means bringing in midfield reinforcements.

Yet you'd rather look to judge him on a period that you determine, without taking into account all the variables and reason for optimism.

To claim he sets up similar to Jose is absurd and isn't even worth breaking down.

If you don't take current form as an indication of improvements, when do you? You are clearly one of the ones that would have called for Fergie to leave, and well, look what we would have missed out on.
Of course I can. You cant gatekeepe what people judge the manager on and set arbitrary standards for them to meet for their issues to be substantial in your eyes.

Current form extends beyond three performances. I'm judging Ole on 12 months yet you claim I should judge him only on the positive performances.

I'm not convinced yet that this is not another false dawn and I'm not silly enough to be blinded by past allegiances and PR talk from the club and manager.

My issue is, as you stated, we perform well against the top 6. I need to see sustained periods of dominance and better performances against the other 12 teams in the league. It's much easier to motivate your players when facing rivals, evidenced by Liverpool regularly beating the top teams and then struggling against the rest of the league. We are beginning to mirror their decline to scary degree and 3 performances are not going to erase the shit we've served up since April.

While I acknowledge the improved performances I'm not as knee jerk as many on here seem to be. Same way I didn't just decide Ole needs to go on a whim, I based my decision on a prolonged period of frankly unacceptable results and performances.

If performances continue in a similar vein as they are now until end of January and he successfully brings in good reinforcements I'm happy to admit I was wrong.

TRUERED89

Now please note what the below shows is that when you're building a new project it's very rare that it doesn't come with a few bumps along the way. Klopp and Pep have both rebuilt both sides (Pep rebuilt Cities defense) and despite having patchy form still managed to come out the other end and turned themselves into beasts. This doesn't mean Ole will replicate what they've done, but it does highlight the need for patience when it comes to long term rebuilds.

All Competitions / First 53 Games Under Each Manager:

Manager​
GamesWinsDrawsLossesWin RateGFGAGD
Ole
53​
28​
11​
14​
52.8%​
85​
58​
+27​
Klopp
53​
25​
16​
12​
47.2%​
91​
61​
+30​
Pep
53​
30​
13​
10​
56.6%​
112​
58​
+54​
Poch
53​
26​
16​
11​
49.1%​
95​
53​
+42​
Good work!

Withnail

Goes to show that defensively we're actually not too bad right now. The big weakness in Oles gameplan is the goals scored column which needs to be improved and converting a few more of those losses into draws.
But that has improved and the team are growing in confidence all the time.

The first 8 games of the season they scored on average a goal a game.

In the last (also next) 8 PL games that has increased to 2 a game and results have picked up, hence the climb up the table.

John Blund

Now please note what the below shows is that when you're building a new project it's very rare that it doesn't come with a few bumps along the way. Klopp and Pep have both rebuilt both sides (Pep rebuilt Cities defense) and despite having patchy form still managed to come out the other end and turned themselves into beasts. This doesn't mean Ole will replicate what they've done, but it does highlight the need for patience when it comes to long term rebuilds.

Manager​
Ole
53​
28​
11​
14​
52.8%​
85​
58​
+27​
Klopp
53​
25​
16​
12​
47.2%​
91​
61​
+30​
Pep
53​
30​
13​
10​
56.6%​
112​
58​
+54​
Poch
53​
26​
16​
11​
49.1%​
95​
53​
+42​
No, no, no. This is cherry-picking. You have to start your counting from the day Ole was signed as permanent manager, else his stats look half decent!

I'm still in the Ole-in boat, and as I've said all along, I don't see the point of sacking him before we're theoretically out of the top 4. The players all look happy playing for him (except Matic, who can't out fast enough?).

Tarrou

seeing a few people say they are still Ole out but now want to give him to the end of the season

errrm thats Ole in mate! Welcome to the resistance

Sterling Archer

Manager​
Ole
53​
28​
11​
14​
52.8%​
85​
58​
+27​
Klopp
53​
25​
16​
12​
47.2%​
91​
61​
+30​
Pep
53​
30​
13​
10​
56.6%​
112​
58​
+54​
Poch
53​
26​
16​
11​
49.1%​
95​
53​
+42​
NO. Pep should not be on that list. He didn't rebuild jack sh*t. The bald one took over a fantastic team and got them performing to the level they should have been. That is nothing like the builds or rebuilds faced by the other managers on that list. Get him the heck out of it.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
People are updating their vote. When we lose more want to sack Ole. When we win it’s the other wat around. If you monitor it you see.
Very few are updating - i am absolutely certain if this poll was done today it would be a different result

USREDEVIL

Maybe we turned a corner. The next game is against a mid-table side in Everton who will set up to avoid defeat. You know what that means...

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
seeing a few people say they are still Ole out but now want to give him to the end of the season

errrm thats Ole in mate! Welcome to the resistance
Also seeing people say they are Ole in but if a more experienced manager became available at the end of the season they wouldn't have a problem changing. That's Ole out mate. Welcome to the dark side :)

Dve

I think I know that Pereira would have voted (to VG):

“He has been fantastic to me on a personal level. Everything I have now, I have him to thank. He has given me playing time and confidence. I feel better and better for every game I play.

"I don’t really read the media, because the media only talks a lot of nonsense. Everyone’s behind him. There’s not a single player who wants him out. Everyone loves him at the club. He is very good with everyone."

"He’s important. He knows everyone that comes up through the academy. He knows the club inside and out. It’s huge for the young players.”

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
This is the leading Manchester United forum. Frankly I'm a little ashamed that the majority still vote to sack our manager.

I could understand a 75/25 split, or even a 70/30, because there are still things to prove. I think it reflects badly on this place when people see that more than half of us want him fired right now.

SteveW

This is the leading Manchester United forum. Frankly I'm a little ashamed that the majority still vote to sack our manager.

I could understand a 75/25 split, or even a 70/30, because there are still things to prove. I think it reflects badly on this place when people see that more than half of us want him fired right now.
Football forums attract a strange crowd to be fair. Most supporters I speak to in real life are optimistic regarding Ole.

Dve

The poll has been out there for a long time, and it´s not representative. I doubt that the 3500 persons who voted, have all been in this thread lately to check their vote. If you restarted the poll today, you´d get different numbers.

Untd55

Why do people find this hard to understand? Before the Tottenham game, we had won less than 30% of our games since PSG. That is an awful record that lasted over 30 games; it is strange that some people act like this was somehow irrelevant.

Our results were incredibly poor. Were the performances better? No, I can think of three games in that period where we were somewhat entertaining. That is not enough to make people want to keep him.

Honestly, there was not really anything promising from what Solskjaer was showing until quite recently. Even Solskjaer supporters during that period could only point to 'give him time' or 'his signings are good' because they could not actually say the performances or results are good. They could not actually come up with any convincing arguments to keep him but were just hoping that he would turn it around.

The fact of the matter is our results and performances have only taken an upturn very recently. Not everyone has opinions that change from game to game. That poor run has made up the vast majority of his time at the club, so Solskjaer has quite a lot to do to change people's opinions.

Even though the Man City and Tottenham games were great, I will not be convinced we should keep him until we actually go on a consistent run of performances and results.

Tel074

Ole hasn’t done a very good so far this season, this squad isn’t great but it’s nothing like as bad as is often made out. You don’t have to be a good team to finish 4th, let alone compete for it which is what we should be doing at least.

Last two games though have been very good but if there has been genuine improvement then we need to get at least 9 points from the next four league games. If Ole can start to pick up more points in these games and show some actual progression then there aren’t any grounds to sack him. If it’s back to square one against likes or Everton, Watford and Newcastle then it’s fair to be asking questions.

You don't have to be a good team to finish 4th or compete for it ? Do you actually believe that ?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Most of the out votes will have been in rage after a game we didn't win, and all those that have been ranting about it all season (many have gone quiet at the moment). I'd be surprised if it's even 25% in reality.

Mr Smith

Still of the opinion we might as well see the majority of the season out with Ole, as we're not likely to get the managers in we want mid-season anyway. So why not give him the next 3-4 months to see if things improve? If it doesn't, there are some quality managers out of a job at present. If he does, awesome, lets carry on and back him in the summer so he has an actual strong squad to work with going forward.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Why do people find this hard to understand? Before the Tottenham game, we had won less than 30% of our games since PSG. That is an awful record that lasted over 30 games; it is strange that some people act like this was somehow irrelevant.

Our results were incredibly poor. Were the performances better? No, I can think of three games in that period where we were somewhat entertaining. That is not enough to make people want to keep him.

Honestly, there was not really anything promising from what Solskjaer was showing until quite recently. Even Solskjaer supporters during that period could only point to 'give him time' or 'his signings are good' because they could not actually say the performances or results are good. They could not actually come up with any convincing arguments to keep him but were just hoping that he would turn it around.

The fact of the matter is our results and performances have only taken an upturn very recently. Not everyone has opinions that change from game to game. That poor run has made up the vast majority of his time at the club, so Solskjaer has quite a lot to do to change people's opinions.

Even though the Man City and Tottenham games were great, I will not be convinced we should keep him until we actually go on a consistent run of performances and results.
I have been Ole in since the Liverpool game. And what you said there is not true. People like you are the ones who refuse to listen to others who can give a convincing arguments to keep the manager because lots of you just want to be sacked due to poor results. Refuse to listen to anything but only looking at RESULTS. When the results becomes better, some of you changed your mind but some of you still stick with what happened to our poor results. What about you take a deep breath and start to see the bigger picture why our results have been inconsistent and stop looking at results only because the actual big positive is not just city & spurs game but also other things for the benefit of rebuilding project.

We don’t get the results mainly because of injuries, but lots of you didn’t want to listen and used it as an excuse. When you look at team like Leicester is in 2nd place now and rarely get injuries. The city game was the first time we were able to field our full main XI (except Pogba), and it was called as our best match since a long time. Another reason is that our squad is filled in with young players, inconsistency is to be expected but the result in 3-5 years could be massive.

Lots of you are ignoring the positivity the manager has brought into the team. The aim is rebuilding the squad which consists improving players (which what Ole has done), developing young players into top players (which what Ole is in process doing it right now), adding & creating leadership to our squad (players like Maguire, McTominay or even Rashford seems to be ideal candidate to be our next captain), and teaching the UNITED WAY to our youngster.

RUCK4444

Totally agree mate, it’s feckin shameful.

But only a true fan, top red,
would feel ashamed. New age glory supporters just want silverware and bragging rights down the pub.

I’m not against people having a different opinion and thinking perhaps we should change manager after this season (I don’t necessarily agree but I respect their opinion.)

But voting that you would have Ole, club legend, sacked right now doesn’t resemble anything like football support in its traditional sense.

To want anything else other than Ole to do well with the club we support, especially in light of his recent results and the underlying positives that are there to see, is verging on ridiculous and simply driven by short termism, the demand for instant success that doesn’t exist.

meamth

I have been Ole in since the Liverpool game. And what you said there is not true. People like you are the ones who refuse to listen to others who can give a convincing arguments to keep the manager because lots of you just want to be sacked due to poor results. Refuse to listen to anything but only looking at RESULTS. When the results becomes better, some of you changed your mind but some of you still stick with what happened to our poor results. What about you take a deep breath and start to see the bigger picture why our results have been inconsistent and stop looking at results only because the actual big positive is not just city & spurs game but also other things for the benefit of rebuilding project.

We don’t get the results mainly because of injuries, but lots of you didn’t want to listen and used it as an excuse. When you look at team like Leicester is in 2nd place now and rarely get injuries. The city game was the first time we were able to field our full main XI (except Pogba), and it was called as our best match since a long time. Another reason is that our squad is filled in with young players, inconsistency is to be expected but the result in 3-5 years could be massive.

Lots of you are ignoring the positivity the manager has brought into the team. The aim is rebuilding the squad which consists improving players (which what Ole has done), developing young players into top players (which what Ole is in process doing it right now), adding & creating leadership to our squad (players like Maguire, McTominay or even Rashford seems to be ideal candidate to be our next captain), and teaching the UNITED WAY to our youngster.
I'm smiling reading this.

Well done.

Perfectly written.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.