Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboc7

You still have to be a good team to finish top 4 in the PL . I agree it's a consolation prize but any team that finish's top 4 is a good team
No not at all, you can drop points all over the place and still finish 4th, it’s not that difficult. Arsenal lost ten times last season and were a point off 4th, they weren’t a good team. Spurs lost over a third of their league games and finished 4th.

We’ve had worst start in over thirty years, win tomorrow and we’re two points off 4th.

Tel074

No not at all, you can drop points all over the place and still finish 4th, it’s not that difficult. Arsenal lost ten times last season and were a point off 4th, they weren’t a good team. Spurs lost over a third of their league games and finished 4th.

We’ve had worst start in over thirty years, win tomorrow and we’re two points off 4th.

Spurs got to the CL final ? The PL is the strongest league in the world we will agree to disagree that you don't need to be a good team to finish top 4

Dve

Yeah, does not matter even if you win it, cause it´s a shit league anyway.

reddev3

I finally lost patience after the Villa game and voted sack for the first time. I have now changed to keep and I will stay that way until he at least gets a top attacking midfielder or Pogba on the field.

I gave him literally no chance of beating City away never mind deservedly beating both Tottenham and City. That City performance gave me the most joy from a Utd game for as long as I can remember, better than the PSG game where I think we basically fluked the win (2 uncharacteristic mistakes and a questionable penalty) also where I knew we would get knocked out next round anyway.

I have have that hope back and actually believe he might be able to be a Utd manager again. If he's not i'd prefer to wait for Rose or Nagelsmann anyway.

Poch hasn't impressed me for about 2/3 years. I do think Poch is a good coach and I do think he would do well here but I don't think he's good enough to go out of your way for like your Pep or Klopp were. He will do well but I'm not convinced he will do amazing (I don't think Ole will either but we might as well wait and see while he's here now and currently showing signs of life).

Marcus

I changed my vote to keep and now it's 50% each. I like the joy I now feel watching United's style of play and it helps to be winning of course. The never say die attitude is also a big plus. United never lose, we only run out of time.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
There were glaring issues in last 20 matches about coaching and match management which cannot be forgotten in 2 matches.
If there is anything positive is has to be his coaching since thanks to him & his coaching staffs, players have shown improvement. While under Jose or May be LVG, I don’t see any improvement with players and they would rather go waste money on players.

Match management is debatable. Sheffield United game we were 2-0 down and managed to came back to 3-2 up is one a good example for his match management. Although, I won’t deny there was also bad one.

However, the real positive has been how he managed the squad by improving them, focusing on developing young players, some players have shown good character to be leader & teaching the United Way to the youngsters. All of these alone have been shown since the Liverpool game IMO so it’s not just 2 matches.

Lemansky

Changed to keep. Will stay keep even if we lose our next 10 matches. I’m going to stop being a bitch and support the man.
Same. A lot of my frustration towards the club has nothing to do with Ole. The last games have been fantastic. I am really looking forward to the game later. Ages since I have felt that way.

fergosaurus

Still 'Ole out' but if we can win the rest of our December games (Everton, Colchester, Watford, Newcastle, Burnley) we could be top four, in the league cup semifinal, and finished top of our EL group. Realistically that's the best we could've hoped for and would be enough to give Solskjaer another transfer window and see how things develop.

SteveW

Still 'Ole out' but if we can win the rest of our December games (Everton, Colchester, Watford, Newcastle, Burnley) we could be top four, in the league cup semifinal, and finished top of our EL group. Realistically that's the best we could've hoped for and would be enough to give Solskjaer another transfer window and see how things develop.
How kind of you.

Withnail

Is it realistic to expect a 7 game win streak and to hold that as the measure of success or failure?

I don't think we'll need to win them all to be top 4 by the new year anyway as I can see Chelsea dropping more points away at Spurs or Arsenal.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Said before, I think he’s the right man, at least for now. My reasoning is simple - for the first time in years, I cannot look at Manchester United and day any of the first XI (and beyond, arguably), are not playing to their best. Every single member of the team is playing to the level I think they should be. That makes the rest simpler. Their best isn’t all good enough and they need some more quality, but in the past, we’ve been shorter on performance than we are on quality.

Beyond that, you need to always ask ‘what do you hope to achieve with a new manager?’. I can’t say what SPECIFICALLY I want a new manager to have done this season, apart from a layman’s ‘win more games’. Looking at our matches though, we could (and should) have easily won more games, and a combination of injuries and bad luck have stopped us, which could have happened to any manager. Missing pens against Wolves and Palace cost us points, an individual error (and injuries) stopped us from beating Arsenal, and bad luck (and injuries) stopped us beating Liverpool. We were easily the better side in these games, and on another season, would have won. The players ‘turned up’, which they have been accused of not doing in the past in games like this, and did their best. A new manager is just a new manager.

Players are improving at United for the first time since Fergie. Before just recently, almost no player we have signed post Fergie has gotten better here. It used to even be a joke in the TF in player threads how ‘it doesn’t matter anyway, as soon as he comes here he will turn to shit’. This is not the feeling I have anymore. Especially with the precision seemingly being put into selecting the players we are going after. I think we’re about 3 first XI players short of a title challenge now, and about 5 or 6 ideally years when considering squad depth.

fergosaurus

Is it realistic to expect a 7 game win streak and to hold that as the measure of success or failure?

I don't think we'll need to win them all to be top 4 by the new year anyway as I can see Chelsea dropping more points away at Spurs or Arsenal.
I'm asking for us to win four league games against poor opposition. It shouldn't take miracles to do that. Beating this calibre of team consistently will show that we're not just game raisers who are suited to playing against the league's top teams.

If we draw one of those games but still show a good account of ourselves it's not the end of the world but we should really be getting maximum points.

SteveW

Said before, I think he’s the right man, at least for now. My reasoning is simple - for the first time in years, I cannot look at Manchester United and day any of the first XI (and beyond, arguably), are not playing to their best. Every single member of the team is playing to the level I think they should be. That makes the rest simpler. Their best isn’t all good enough and they need some more quality, but in the past, we’ve been shorter on performance than we are on quality.

Beyond that, you need to always ask ‘what do you hope to achieve with a new manager?’. I can’t say what SPECIFICALLY I want a new manager to have done this season, apart from a layman’s ‘win more games’. Looking at our matches though, we could (and should) have easily won more games, and a combination of injuries and bad luck have stopped us, which could have happened to any manager. Missing pens against Wolves and Palace cost us points, an individual error (and injuries) stopped us from beating Arsenal, and bad luck (and injuries) stopped us beating Liverpool. We were easily the better side in these games, and on another season, would have won. The players ‘turned up’, which they have been accused of not doing in the past in games like this, and did their best. A new manager is just a new manager.

Players are improving at United for the first time since Fergie. Before just recently, almost no player we have signed post Fergie has gotten better here. It used to even be a joke in the TF in player threads how ‘it doesn’t matter anyway, as soon as he comes here he will turn to shit’. This is not the feeling I have anymore. Especially with the precision seemingly being put into selecting the players we are going after. I think we’re about 3 first XI players short of a title challenge now, and about 5 or 6 ideally years when considering squad depth.
That's what I'm seeing too. Not that I need to keep repeating it to anyone who's been reading these threads. It's the first time since SAF that it's actually felt like we're building towards something.

Consistency will come as the squad gets stronger and more experienced.

Roboc7

Spurs got to the CL final ? The PL is the strongest league in the world we will agree to disagree that you don't need to be a good team to finish top 4
I think you are the person I have come across who thinks the Arsenal team of last season were a good team but fair play to you, just wouldn’t tell Arsenal fans that.

Tarrou

I doubt Ole's going to solve the issue of breaking down defensive teams in the next four games - the best will and coaching in the world won't get Lingard or Perreira consistently unlocking defences. Though in this form we still should have enough to win these matches now.
But with Pogba/a new midfielder and a different striker option it should really increase our chances of success in the dreaded 'low block' games.

A lot of other things are pointing in the right direction now. Players are improving, the mentality is improving, we have a settled first team, the players like the manager, and we're playing some decent stuff going forward.

I don't know if we've turned the corner yet, but it definitely feels like we've bottomed out at least. The post-Fergie free-fall has come to a grinding halt.

Keefy18

I'm asking for us to win four league games against poor opposition. It shouldn't take miracles to do that. Beating this calibre of team consistently will show that we're not just game raisers who are suited to playing against the league's top teams.

If we draw one of those games but still show a good account of ourselves it's not the end of the world but we should really be getting maximum points.

Why should we when no other side except Liverpool currently are? Not even City.

It's just that its happening a bit too regularly for us and I don't mean just with Ole, it happened with Moyes, LVG and Jose.

I agree we need to improve on that in the months ahead but here and now with so much work still needed with the squad it's not realistic.

fergosaurus

Why should we when no other side except Liverpool currently are? Not even City.

It's just that its happening a bit too regularly for us and I don't mean just with Ole, it happened with Moyes, LVG and Jose.

I agree we need to improve on that in the months ahead but here and now with so much work still needed with the squad it's not realistic.
Teams above us have had a dip in form recently but that's irrelevant as they've had spells where they've been consistent whereas we've been up and down for the past 12 months.

Solskjaer would have more leeway for bad results if we hadn't already dropped points to the likes of Southampton, Newcastle, Villa, Bournemouth etc. so I stand by my point of needing to get maximum or at least 10 points from the next four games.

Keefy18

Teams above us have had a dip in form recently but that's irrelevant as they've had spells where they've been consistent whereas we've been up and down for the past 12 months.

Solskjaer would have more leeway for bad results if we hadn't already dropped points to the likes of Southampton, Newcastle, Villa, Bournemouth etc. so I stand by my point of needing to get maximum or at least 10 points from the next four games.
I created a thread on here only last week and it proved our form in the league was only bettered over the previous 6 games by Liverpool, Leicester & Wolves I think. Over 5 just Liverpool and Leicester, with Wolves the same as us.

I went a step further and doubled that time frame to 12 games all competitions and again it was only Liverpool & Leicester ahead of us, we were tied with City.

Leicester even had a frustrating and below par performance yesterday and dropped pts vs Norwich.
Man City have dropped pts vs Norwich & Newcastle.
Chelsea had 6 wins on the bounce at one point, now they currently have 1 win in 5 in the League!! That's as bad as Ole and the new manager bounce is clearly gone! They've dropped pts vs West Ham, Everton & Bournemouth!

I could give examples of this with basically every PL side except Liverpool and Leicester this season pretty much.

Withnail

I created a thread on here only last week and it proved our form in the league was only bettered over the previous 6 games by Liverpool, Leicester & Wolves I think. Over 5 just Liverpool and Leicester, with Wolves the same as us.

I went a step further and doubled that time frame to 12 games all competitions and again it was only Liverpool & Leicester ahead of us, we were tied with City.

Leicester even had a frustrating and below par performance yesterday and dropped pts vs Norwich.
Chelsea had 6 wins on the bounce at one point, now they currently have 1 win in 5 in the League!! That's as bad as Ole and the new manager bounce is clearly gone! They've dropped pts vs West Ham, Everton & Bournemouth!

I could give examples of this with basically every PL side except Liverpool and Leicester this season pretty much.
Liverpool really should have dropped points yesterday and aren't playing as well as results suggest.

I'd expect both Liverpool and Leicester to drop a lot more points from here on in.

Keefy18

Liverpool really should have dropped points yesterday and aren't playing as well as results suggest.

I'd expect both Liverpool and Leicester to drop a lot more points from here on in.
Yeah with so many games coming up for Liverpool I'm expecting their 1st loss before the new year and possibly a draw in there too.

Leicester don't have a big squad and with FA Cup coming up with the League Cup QF matches and if they progress there, they too will probably start dropping points.

fergosaurus

We can move the goal posts around to make the substandard job Ole is doing look more appealing but the reality is we have underperformed.

Even if you want to narrow it down to the last 6 league games we are 5th in the form guide which is hardly something to celebrate.

Keefy18

We can move the goal posts around to make the substandard job Ole is doing look more appealing but the reality is we have underperformed.

Even if you want to narrow it down to the last 6 league games we are 5th in the form guide which is hardly something to celebrate.
Pretty sure most had us to finish about 10th at the start of the season cause we let Rom go and didn't address midfield but if you say so.

Over 5 games we are 4th in the form guide - https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/premier-league/form-guide.html
Over 6 games we are 5th (Tied on pts with 4th) - https://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.asp?league=england

Our form isn't as bad as people like to make up.

JK-27

Pretty sure most had us to finish about 10th at the start of the season cause we let Rom go and didn't address midfield but if you say so.

Over 5 games we are 4th in the form guide - https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/premier-league/form-guide.html
Over 6 games we are 5th (Tied on pts with 4th) - https://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.asp?league=england

Says a lot when we're touting us being 4th and 5th as a good thing.

Oh how we've fallen. Even fans are accepting mediocrity now, I used to think it was just the board yet somehow we're happy with 4th and 5th now too :confused:

Tarrou

Oh how we've fallen. Even fans are accepting mediocrity now, I used to think it was just the board yet somehow we're happy with 4th and 5th now too :confused:
Almost everyone would take 4th at the start of the season. That doesn't mean anyone is happy with 4th long term - nobody is. It's just an indication of how poor we've been in the last few years.

Withnail

Almost everyone would take 4th at the start of the season. That doesn't mean anyone is happy with 4th long term - nobody is. It's just an indication of how poor we've been in the last few years.

Is anyone banging on about mediocrity even taking into account that we started the season with new combinations in Defence, Midfield and Attack?

It takes a run of games for players to get used to each other and for teams to gel which is happening now.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United

It's not about us finishing 4th or 5th but showing signs of progression. We all knew we wouldn't be close to winning the league and many of us even doubted if we'd make top 4. I'd take 5th or 6th place finish if it meant we could kick on from there with new signings in January and the summer making us stronger next season. We have to learn to walk first before we can run.

M Bison

Supports
York City

Reread the post. You’ve missed the point he was trying make. No one is saying that long term we should be happy with 4th or 5th.

fergosaurus

Over 6 games we are 4th still - https://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.asp?league=england

Our +3 GD has us 5th in the form guide but we're splitting hairs there. We're still below Wolves in the form guide but so are City so let's act small-time and see this as some sort of accomplishment.

The preseason predictions are irrelevant to bring up without context. Whose fault is it we let Lukaku go and didn't add to our midfield? In my opinion Solskjaer is a limited manager who is doing about as good of a job as he possibly can.

I personally predicted we'd finish 5th so we're doing about as well/poorly as I expected. So in a way I don't think Solskjaer is underperforming based on his abilities but I think other managers out there would have managed the squad better in the transfer market with the funds we had available and coached us to a higher standard so as a club we are underperforming. Hence why I want to see an upgrade unless both results and performances improve.

RedAlert27

It's 50/50. 1811 vs 1811.
How many will change again if we fail to beat Everton today? These are the type of games we've struggled in this season, failing to break down opponents who sit deep. Hopefully today will be different and we continue our good form... bit my head is saying another frustrating, creativity lacking game.

Status
Not open for further replies.