Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

90 + 5min

It's also worth noting that Norwich have beaten City this season...

And Brighton and Newcastle have beaten Spurs...

Us beating both was another 'false dawn', and the knee-jerk reaction was way over the top and embarrassing.

Ole simply isn't a good enough coach for Elite level footy - people need to wake up to the fact that he's only still in a job because of the rotten, negligent ownership that Utd is under and nothing else.
So please tell the world who you think is elite level coach? And please do tell us why you think that.

You are talking about knee-jerk reactions. You are right. People waking up like zoombies at night and wanting Ole out are the ones who should think about reaction.

lysglimt

Scout
We didn't win - we should have. This was not like the games against Palace or Villa. We ran over them in the 2nd half - we just couldn't get that final goal. It wasn't good enough, but the second half was not a bad performance.

432JuanMata

This was the real test.

Can we beat teams outside of the top 6 on a consistent basis?

Right now the answer is no. If it's still no at the end of the season he needs to be sacked.
What you mean consistent basis ? We have won 2/11 we can’t beat them at all

laughtersassassin

The result we all knew would happen. That's why I didn't flip flop from sack after the city result.

We can't beat the bottom teams

Withnail

This was the real test.

Can we beat teams outside of the top 6 on a consistent basis?

Right now the answer is no. If it's still no at the end of the season he needs to be sacked.
We'll continue to struggle against sides who sit back til we sign a 10 and a RW.

People have suggested Pogba as a 10 but he's not a 10 either. Maybe given a free role he can cause some damage.

troylocker

Nice to see the CAF is its usual self. Just three new threads to bash Ole in created post match. A disgrace!

If we look behind the result. We were better than Everton at everything, we dominered them 90% of the match and created 17 chances against their 3. They scored a goal that should never been allowed. We were not efficient enough, but in general we created more against this compact Everton side than we have created against other defensive teams this season. This was progress from earlier in the season, and with a performance like this we would win against Everton 9 out of 10 times.
Liverpool played a much worse game against Watford yesterday and won 2-0, while we delivered a good performance and get a draw. These things happen in football.
On to the next!

tenpoless

I'm neither Ole in or Ole out.

But it's clear to see that We need other game plan/tactics/formations because our first tactic can easily be countered by teams sitting deep or playing in a very organized formation to close down all the spaces for our runners (which are our main goal creators). I believe Ole has done a considerable amount of work to get the players understanding counter attacks and front line pressing but when They are being given time and the ball in their own half, They struggle to create anything, look nervous and keep conceding stupid mistakes and goals.

I feel like He could have switched the formation to 4-4-2 at least to match Everton player's positioning since our formation didn't work well. Martial looked lost, Lingard played bad. Martial + Greenwood up front and let our players go toe to toe with their players at the same position. Since our players are better than theirs, maybe We would win a lot more duels? They will struggle more with the front line pressing? but what do I know... just try something else Ole!

This isn't the first time. And if it stays this way it's hard to see if He's good enough for the long term. This is Mourino's tactic in nutshell, just with more pace and pressing up front. Even worse, only one way of playing. I hope Ole will find a way, be it with another tactics, or getting enough quality players to execute his only one game plan to perfection. The latter seems to be his preference so far...

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We consistently got the ball into the right areas but our forwards were uncharacteristically wasteful with their crossing and shooting. Ole is in charge of the first part of that. He can't come on and take the shots for them.

Seriously frustrating. We should have beaten them easily. Momentum stopped.
James was especially wasteful with his shooting today, and Rashford wasn't far behind.

Inconsistency continues to prove an issue with this young team.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
James was especially wasteful with his shooting today, and Rashford wasn't far behind.

Once James learns to compose himself, he will start scoring more goals. With his pace he will get into terrific positions, just needs to settle himself, and then either shoot, or slide the ball into s team mate in s better position.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Once James learns to compose himself, he will start scoring more goals. With his pace he will get into terrific positions, just needs to settle himself, and then either shoot, or slide the ball into s team mate in s better position.
Except that his teammates will also need to learn to arrive at the goal scoring positions which they seem to be failing to do every single game. How many balls across the face of goal has James himself provided only for no one in a red shirt to be seen within striking distance.

CR1

I think Lukaku came out and said that Ole wanted to keep him, but that he wasn't prepared to be anything less than the first-choice 9.

While I never thought Lukaku was the right player for us, he did offer depth and goals. And there's absolutely no way anyone can convince me that we wouldn't be in the top four right now if Lukaku had played during Martial's injury, given the amount of tap-in crosses put into the box mainly from James this season. Or if someone else had been brought in to replace Lukaku as the back-up CF.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I think stay for now. Let him have a couple windows and bring in some genuine quality and we might see some actual better football.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Except that his teammates will also need to learn to arrive at the goal scoring positions which they seem to be failing to do every single game. How many balls across the face of goal has James himself provided only for no one in a red shirt to be seen within striking distance.
They are there in support, but because he is so quick, he very often is way in front of his team mates, that is why he needs to just compose himself, the defender will still be behind him, look up and shoot or just pass the ball to a teammate, who normally would be on the edge of the box, similar to his early chance today. If he had just took that second to settle, he could have slipped the ball to the player coming into the box, don't remember who it was. I take your point that when he actually takes the full back on, and gets to the byline, and hits a low cross across the goal, we don't have that predator in the box to snaffle those chances.

SAFMUTD

Pretty sure most had us to finish about 10th at the start of the season cause we let Rom go and didn't address midfield but if you say so
I don’t think anyone realistically expects us to finish 10th, not even now.

The goal should be finishing top 4, top 6 is the lowest we can end without being a total ridicule.

Seriously name 9 teams thay are confortably better than us? Even now besides Liverpool and City we can compete for the best third squad along with Spurs, Leicester and Arsenal.

Roboc7

We average point a game from the type of fixtures we had today and still doesn’t look like changing. For me it’s still hard to believe a manager who has only been successful in one spell in Norway is good enough to do this job.

Really I believe we need a manager who wants to play attacking football, Ole is another defensive manager. If he’s given time and lonely he probably will make a better and extremely expensive version of this team but that’s about it.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Pretty sure most had us to finish about 10th at the start of the season cause we let Rom go and didn't address midfield but if you say so.

Over 5 games we are 4th in the form guide - https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/premier-league/form-guide.html
Over 6 games we are 5th (Tied on pts with 4th) - https://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.asp?league=england

Our form isn't as bad as people like to make up.
This is the reason why I said we are most patient set of fans as far as elite clubs are concerned. Would not see a Bayern or Barca or Real supporter accept finishing 10th so nonchalantly and without protest. Not that the management at those clubs would either.

Acquire Me

Why?

I don’t believe he is capable of leading United to success, so why would I want him to keep the job long term? What kind of fan would actively route for something they don’t believe to be the best thing for their team?

The last few weeks so many people have been falling over themselves to paint this narrative that people who don’t think Ole is up to the job will have been gutted by the wins and are poor fans. Whilst for the most part those of us in that camp have celebrated the victories and yet remained concerned about the fact that as a team United are not able to beat teams that don’t play attacking football against us.

It’s an odd situation where those big games against Spurs and City actually suited us well due to the way they play. It’s not about flip flopping with every win or loss, or knee-jerking because we’re not steam rolling teams every week and winning trophies, it’s a consistent opinion that based on the way things have gone for the last 12 months Ole isn’t the man for the job.

I’ll still love him forever, but he needs to be replaced in my view.
Good post. I respect that. I don’t think it’s many in your camp who has this sensible stance though. It’s a lot of knee-jerking.

I want him to get more time because we need a long term plan and I do actually rate Ole as a manager. He might not be the right in the end, but it feels right for me now. Exactly what we need imo.

Anyways, we just have to see if he succeeds or not.

BlueHaze

At this stage of the season sacking him is pointless so we can write that off. They've stuck with him till this stage so unless things go disastrous from here on they need to ride the season out. In May I would sound the likes of Nagelsmann or Rose out perhaps Poch as well to see if there is a chance they would be interested in the job as I think top 4 will never be achieved with Ole.

This whole problem of us struggling so badly against absolute crap teams have become too frustrating and I don't see any improvements in that aspect. We all really wish he could succeed here because of his history and all but at the end of the day the jobs too big for him. That's my opinion on this anyway.

Tel074

I think you are the person I have come across who thinks the Arsenal team of last season were a good team but fair play to you, just wouldn’t tell Arsenal fans that.
I think you are the only person I have come across who thinks Arsenal finished top 4 last season because isn't top 4 what we where talking about . Keep talking nonsense I am done replying my friend

passing-wind

We was within reach of top four last season and Ole / the team failed. If we don't get top four again it's also going to mess up next year's seasonal objectives.

How do you expect us as a club to sign the Maddison's, Sancho's, Saul's etc (Pogba replacement) without offering european football ? If after two seasons Solskjaer is unable to do the minimal in getting qualification, how is he then able to persuade these calibre of players to join and guarantee them any sort of success when they will have a host of European teams to also choose from.

If the importance of fans backing Solskjaer and him being a success is based on the ideology that he will get top singings, how then isit possible that many of you undermine the necessity of top four like as if it has no influence on our probability to sign players ? The two go hand in hand, Solskjaer's potential future success hangs on the results of this season, if he's not finishing in the top four is it not right that he should be shown the door ?

Ole doesn't have the managerial accolades to influence a players decision away from the present credentials of the club. He's also not an outstanding coach like Klopp to turn a Milner / Henderson / Wjnaldum into persistent good performers he's going to need the resources to succeed. Resources that we can only get with certain circumstances such as European qualification.

Tony247

To lift this team we need a coach who is capable of delivering titles. Then only the team will progress from 6th to 4th, 4th to 3rd and eventually title contenders.

Irrespective of Ole's past, and based purely on his matches as Man Utd coach, i don't think he has got that caliber. The max I think he could deliver is top 4, that too if spend millions. So if club management thinks we should rebuild and be in top 4, and then get another manager then fine, keep Ole for now. But if club thinks he is a long term solution to bring home titles then we all will be in a long painful ride.

Tyrion

We average point a game from the type of fixtures we had today and still doesn’t look like changing. For me it’s still hard to believe a manager who has only been successful in one spell in Norway is good enough to do this job.

Really I believe we need a manager who wants to play attacking football, Ole is another defensive manager. If he’s given time and lonely he probably will make a better and extremely expensive version of this team but that’s about it.
That's a good point. I've seen some praise the football we play with OGS but they're only counting the games where we're attacking on the counter. We're just so impotent attacking any other way.

Tyrion

Nice to see the CAF is its usual self. Just three new threads to bash Ole in created post match. A disgrace!

If we look behind the result. We were better than Everton at everything, we dominered them 90% of the match and created 17 chances against their 3. They scored a goal that should never been allowed. We were not efficient enough, but in general we created more against this compact Everton side than we have created against other defensive teams this season. This was progress from earlier in the season, and with a performance like this we would win against Everton 9 out of 10 times.
Liverpool played a much worse game against Watford yesterday and won 2-0, while we delivered a good performance and get a draw. These things happen in football.
On to the next!
That's because that liverpool team is better than this United team. It's not something that just happens.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
We probably should have won the game today. Other than the poor error by De Gea defensively we look fine. It’s breaking down a deep defence which we can’t do. This isn’t going to be resolved until we buy a decent number 10. How can we expect to win games when Lingard with no goals and assists in months is playing there? The other two options of Mata and Pereira aren’t good enough either.
I get why people peddle this narrative, but I dont think it is true, you had 24 shots to their 8 and 8 on target to their 3. From a neutral point of view Everton never looked like scoring and you looked in control for pretty much the entire 90.

This is a much better explanation of what happened, people wanted a young team willing to play exciting attacking football and that is exactly what is emerging under Ole, but young players will always show inconsistency as they mature this changes. You didn't draw because you couldn't break Everton down, you drew because when you had the chances they weren't taken, but you had plenty of chances. And Everton scored a freak weird goal, that I am not sure should have stood.

What you can take heart from is the way the team battered Everton to get the equalizer and the player Greenwood is turning out to be, but he to will be inconsistent!

nainaisson

I think Lukaku came out and said that Ole wanted to keep him, but that he wasn't prepared to be anything less than the first-choice 9.
Was Lukaku supposed to say, "Ole told me to get lost, that he doesn't want a striker with the first touch of someone wearing lead boots"? Of course Lukaku would claim that Ole wanted him to stay.

I'm still on sacked. He's a one trick pony who sets us up well when we're the underdogs. We've consistently performed subpar versus lesser teams. The keyword here is consistently poor versus said teams so it really comes down to Solskjær not getting enough out of the squad.

But he seems to have the backing of the players and he may just need a few more players to help him break down the relegation fodder and mid-table team so I'm not screaming for a sack - but I still don't think Solskjær is the right man for the job but hoping I'll be proved wrong.

Roboc7

I think you are the only person I have come across who thinks Arsenal finished top 4 last season because isn't top 4 what we where talking about . Keep talking nonsense I am done replying my friend
Read my original post mate I said you dont have to be a good team to finish top 4 or compete for it. Arsenal were only 1 point away so you either agree with me or think they were a good team last season. Guessing that’s dawned on you now though and that’s why last post was bit petty. Don’t throw words like nonsense around without thinking about what saying yourself.

Last edited:

90 + 5min

I’m still waiting for Ole out brigade to tell us who still want Ole who they want to replace him. And mostly how they can guarantee us that we would start winning titles right away. With same players.

To lift this team we need a coach who is capable of delivering titles. Then only the team will progress from 6th to 4th, 4th to 3rd and eventually title contenders.

Irrespective of Ole's past, and based purely on his matches as Man Utd coach, i don't think he has got that caliber. The max I think he could deliver is top 4, that too if spend millions. So if club management thinks we should rebuild and be in top 4, and then get another manager then fine, keep Ole for now. But if club thinks he is a long term solution to bring home titles then we all will be in a long painful ride.
Who is that coach? We have heard everything between he-has-a-system Farke to serial winner Pochettino. We have heard lot of names but can someone guarantee those titles that we suddenly would win?
You had Mou, you had vanGaal, you had Moyes and still. Falling slowly. Solskjaer broke that and we are seeing progress in every aspect.

Son

I would personally like to see how he does when either Pogba decides to play again in the number 10 or we buy a new one in January.

Yesterday a lot frustrated me but on another day we would have won the game. The simple fact is we have a lot of kick and run merchants in the first 11 and not enough creators. We need to understand what Ole can do with creators in the side then that will be his final last chance saloon.

Ideally I’d like to see Pogba, Gomes, Lingard at 10 till the end of the season since we’d have a range of options but god knows whether 2 of those will ever play for us again! We miss Pogba so bad it’s unreal at times. He makes us a far better side at breaking teams down. The Gomes case seems just sad all round.

Andersonson

Im split on this to be fair. Ole has done some great things for sure.

The way he is with youngsters and the way he is giving youth a chance is something I really like. Scott, Rashford, James etc are all doing better now. This is a good point for keeping him and giving him another window or two.

He has also showed that he dont joke around if the players are not up for the task. Getting rid of Lukaku etc was a though choice, but he doesnt want bad influences in the team, and thats great too.

The worrying thing is his game plan. I followed Molde alot and he had the same issues there. Against teams that sets up deep his teams couldnt break them down.

As for now, im willing to see a summer window and then see the progress. I think its way to early yet. If he manages to get a couple of signings that actually makes us better this team could go very far.

If Rashford, James, AWB, Scott and Maguire all takes one more step in their development and we get some new faces in that makes us better, we could be a challenging side.

Keefy18

I don’t think anyone realistically expects us to finish 10th, not even now.

The goal should be finishing top 4, top 6 is the lowest we can end without being a total ridicule.

Seriously name 9 teams thay are confortably better than us? Even now besides Liverpool and City we can compete for the best third squad along with Spurs, Leicester and Arsenal.
I seen it around plenty, I pushed them on weather they truly believed it and they said yes.

Teams predicted to be ahead of us were Wolves, Leicester, Everton and the usual top 6 as well.

This is the reason why I said we are most patient set of fans as far as elite clubs are concerned. Would not see a Bayern or Barca or Real supporter accept finishing 10th so nonchalantly and without protest. Not that the management at those clubs would either.
They operate in vastly different leagues.

Bayern have a monopoly on the Bundesliga, its pretty much a 1 horse race and has been for decades. They take the best players from rivals most summers.

There is a complete in-balance with TV funding in Spain and again, Barca and Real are monster clubs in comparison to the other 18 clubs. I mean Athletico are the only team outside Real and Barca to win the league since 2004!

There's no competition for these clubs.

John Blund

Still keep. For the first time since SAF, we got a manager who understands what United really is about. Yes - we're a winning club, but unline Mourinho's view, we don't believe in buying 11 players/mercenaries winning for us. United believe in having our players win for us. Players coming up through our ranks, winning their place in the team, then winning with the team. Many of us look towards City, Chelsea or even Real Madrid, believing we should do more like they've done the last 10 years. Sack the manager, bring in new world-class players in every position. Against City, we had 5 academy players contributing on the field. City had one academy player warming the bench. Real Madrid is similar - Carvajal is the only academy players playing regularly. Chelsea - before their youth revolution, they had 0 academy players playing regularly (trying hard to disregard Terry here).

When young talent sees our results with the academy, we hopefully are more attractive than our competition. When you're joining the United academy, the club works hard for your success in United.

CR1

Was Lukaku supposed to say, "Ole told me to get lost, that he doesn't want a striker with the first touch of someone wearing lead boots"? Of course Lukaku would claim that Ole wanted him to stay.
No. But he could easily have said that Ole had a different idea of how to play, that he saw him as a RF instead of CF. Or whatever.

The point is that, in all likelihood, Ole didn't want to sell Lukaku or wanted a replacement in. And if that would have happened we'd be in the top four now.

Ibi Dreams

I think there have been enough encouraging signs that we should continue with him for the time being. Obviously there are big problems with how we play against teams we should theoretically be beating, and that's a major issue, but outside of that there are positives.

Talking about Lukaku, I really think someone we miss more for those types of games is Fellaini. It's not exactly pretty but he was quite effective for us as an option when we couldn't break through teams. Playing long balls to him or getting crosses in with him lurking, we'd probably have managed to turn a couple of games from losses and draws to draws and wins

slored1

I was Ole out after Villa but now I'm indifferent. 4 good performances on the bounce, yesterday we didn't win because of the stupid own goal and poor finishing. When Pogba comes back and after we sign some good players in January, we'll be allright.

b82REZ

Still keep. For the first time since SAF, we got a manager who understands what United really is about. Yes - we're a winning club, but unline Mourinho's view, we don't believe in buying 11 players/mercenaries winning for us. United believe in having our players win for us. Players coming up through our ranks, winning their place in the team, then winning with the team. Many of us look towards City, Chelsea or even Real Madrid, believing we should do more like they've done the last 10 years. Sack the manager, bring in new world-class players in every position. Against City, we had 5 academy players contributing on the field. City had one academy player warming the bench. Real Madrid is similar - Carvajal is the only academy players playing regularly. Chelsea - before their youth revolution, they had 0 academy players playing regularly (trying hard to disregard Terry here).

When young talent sees our results with the academy, we hopefully are more attractive than our competition. When you're joining the United academy, the club works hard for your success in United.
It's this sort of romantic rubbish that is going to be the downfall of this club.

I understand the club, but you wouldn't qualify me for the manager's position so why the different standards for Solksjaer? I love the guy but he is not the man to lead us forward.

I know that the board will give him January but I still expect to finish between 8-6 and him to be relieved of his duties come May.

The reality is we are already losing out of top young prospects to our rivals. Even some of our ex players are placing their kids in City's youth setup because they have amazing coaching facilities. Just take a drive through Eastlands, it really is remarkable what they've created.

We are living off our past, like our Merseyside rivals did for 30 years while everyone else moved on with the times.

Status
Not open for further replies.