Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Won the game. Clean sheet. 6-2 shots on target, 11-7 shots total, 57-43 possession. Strong opponent. Pogba, Mctominay and Rashford (most of the match) not playing. Everyone; Whine, whine, whine. Terrible fans.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I still stand by what i said. How did you conclude i hate Bramserud by that?
Who's "Bramserud"?
I saw your "Fleksnes" comment somewhere too, are you 12 years old? Really... name calling our manager.

Edit: Ait, googled it, aparantly some character from a Swedish show, Selskapsrësan.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Won the game. Clean sheet. 6-2 shots on target, 11-7 shots total, 57-43 possession. Strong opponent. Pogba, Mctominay and Rashford (most of the match) not playing. Everyone; Whine, whine, whine. Terrible fans.
Or maybe just fans with the foresight to see that we are going absolutely fecking nowhere with Solskjær in charge.

SteveW

Two tired looking teams played a poor game of football. It happens.

We got the win. Job done. It can't always be pretty.

el3mel

So 2 players who are injured already didn't play while the other got injured once he entered the pitch and apparently this is considered a positive thing.

Popcorn

I thought tonight was ok. I don’t really like this 4-2-3-1 shape we keep dropping into. The 2 line seem to be far too close to the back 4, and when we attack (or have possession) we seem to have a pretty static line of forwards waiting for something to magically happen. Our possession play looked alright and I thought we were quite good up to the final third. Problem being, doing little in the final third leads to dull matches.

Wheato

Since Fergie retired we've had some of the greatest, most successful managers come into our club (Except Moyes)

And they all continued to play with the usual suspects...Jones, Smalling, Young, Valencia, even Rooney was finished at the top level post 2013. The only one who has made an attempt to rebuild the side properly, with talented young players, has been Ole. Jose wanted quick fixes, players in their 30's, like Matic. He wanted to flog Martial and buy Willian. And then we have that numpty, Woodward, who goes for names, rather than whether they fit into the squad, signing the likes of Falcao, DiMaria, Sweinsteiger, Ibrahimovich and Sanchez. Ole has put a stop to all of that nonsense now, and we are starting to see a blend of good signings, mixed with academy starlets. And it is starting to work. Yes, we know there are gaps in midfield. But we have missed McTominay more recently, and Pogba has been out since september. Players like Fred and Andreas have been given a chance, and have done okay. The back four is really starting to look decent. Williams and AWB are like a breath of fresh air, and I said that Maguire would be a leader and probably captain. Then Victor has been solid, too. The 4 forwards have frightening pace, as we saw at the Etihad, and with better supply from midfield they will give most teams problems. Rashford is on for a 30 goal season. You wouldn't have said that under Jose. I really do think that Ole is 2 to 3 signings away from a really good side. That is why I would stick with him. Yes, the league position is disappointing, but the playing staff is evolving and getting better. We just need to be patient and see it through. A ten year plan, instead of a flash in the pan.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
When posters complain after a loss: "the Ole out brigade is back in full force"
When posters complain after a win: "we just won, why are you complaining?"

Moral of the story, we apparently have no right to show any dissatisfaction towards the coaching staff.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
When posters complain after a loss: "the Ole out brigade is back in full force"
When posters complain after a win: "we just won, why are you complaining?"

Moral of the story, we apparently have no right to show any dissatisfaction towards the coaching staff.
There have been as many posts in the Ole Permanent Manager thread since full time as there have been in the post-match thread. 4 pages in both. Why is it equally as important to have the same argument about Ole over and over again as it is to talk about the actual football? Its because winning the unwinnable Ole argument is more interesting to many than discussing the game - its secondary to many. Its why they get accusations of wanting United to lose games just so they can throw fresh ammunition behind it. Wins are boring, unless you really believe that we saw enough fresh evidence last night to restart the discussion about whether he should stay or go. All I saw was a moderately entertaining 1-0 win against pretty good opposition to advance in the cup. We learnt some things about the team - nothing new about the manager.

Since Spurs 4th Demember: WWWDWLWWLDLWW

Let's forget this thread for now people, no Manchester United board will or should be firing a manager with that form. There were huge questions marks up until December, and then again after Watford. But looking at the past month and a half (13 games), things have picked up to an acceptable enough level to keep the manager in the job for now.

If the form drops off a cliff again and we are way off 4th, let's revisit, else let's revisit in the Summer.

elánius

Let's forget this thread for now people, no Manchester United board will or should be firing a manager with that form. There were huge questions marks up until December, and then again after Watford. But looking at the past month and a half (13 games), things have picked up to an acceptable enough level to keep the manager in the job for now.

If the form drops off a cliff again and we are way off 4th, let's revisit, else let's revisit in the Summer.
It is too late to sack him anyway and most of the managers would not take the job in the second half of the season anyway. So let him finish this season with his absurdly small squad and hire Poch from the start of the next season. Lets hope Ed is not that stupid to not hire him while he is free and we have semiamateur Olé for no reason what so ever. We should have had already agreed contract by Poch by now, same story like we had with Mourinho when LvG was struggeling in his second season.

Alabaster Codify7

Still Ole Out. I'm seeing how the season ends, to be honest. I wish he'd prove me wrong, I'd love a fairytale ending as much as the rest of us. To change my mind, I need to see better, more coherent attacking football - not this gong-and-dash long ball to Rashy nonsense. That type of football is fine in small doses and/or when necessary but a big club shouldn't rely on it as our go-to style of play.

If he isn't backed in this window though, with 1-2 new midfielders, he's screwed. One injury to Fred (which I see coming quite soon sadly) and we're fecked in the middle of the park.

VanGaalEra

Such a tough one, I choose not to vote. This is Ole, I love the guy, ever since I was a kid.

If there could be an option of keep Ole until the end of season, promote him higher in the club and bring in Poch, all with Ole already knowing this, that would be my vote.

Bojan11

Promote him higher up?

We must be the only club who have a set of fans who want to promote a manager when he is failing. Promote him for what? For spotting AWB and Maguire, which anybody could have seen.

Toni Roncoroni

If there could be an option of keep Ole until the end of season, promote him higher in the club and bring in Poch, all with Ole already knowing this, that would be my vote.
I am with you on this one. I really hope that this is our plan. Keeping Ole until the end of the season and the thankfully send him off without keeping him would be my wish. We need another Manager to bring us back or closer to the top two. Looking back on this year I don't see us doing so with Ole in charge. But I think he did a lot of good work but if we really want to go back to the top we need a real manager. Not an extended caretaker in my opinion.

Apart from that the board needs to back him now with two signings in the next two weeks. We need that 4th place to further improve our squad during summer.

Hammerfell

Such a tough one, I choose not to vote. This is Ole, I love the guy, ever since I was a kid.

Why on Earth would you reward him with an even more senior position? What makes you think he'd be any better at that role?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Why on Earth would you reward him with an even more senior position? What makes you think he'd be any better at that role?
The problem with having OGS in a Dof role is this silly obession with looking only for british players. Most of the best talents in the world aren't british and they are cheaper too.

VanGaalEra

I like his moves in the transfer market so far, has a plan, has an idea of what Manchester United is and what a Manchester United player should be. Would share the same idea with Poch on how we should play and has a good stature/standing in the game.

El Zoido

It would be absolute insanity to sack him at this moment. He’s done a really good job of cleaning house, now he needs more signings to support his plan. Judge him after this not before, because this is clearly a work in progress. There’s been enough evidence this season that we have a team coming together, so let’s just see.

b82REZ

I like his moves in the transfer market so far, has a plan, has an idea of what Manchester United is and what a Manchester United player should be. Would share the same idea with Poch on how we should play and has a good stature/standing in the game.
What exactly have his signings displayed to give such trust in his transfer strategy?

Maguire flatters to deceive and we overpaid massively for him. Similarly we overpaid for AWB, a player who I like but who i think will ultimately become a backup for us. Despite initially being impressed by James I actually now see him as a very limited footballer who should not be starting for a club with aspirations to be the best.

It's one of the constant defences of Solksjaer, "his signings have been good" but without our rose tinted glasses on have they really improved us significantly and made us better? I'd state no, despite them (James aside) being upgrades in the respective positions on paper.

Your first post summed up a lot of the problems. You struggle to distinguish between Ole the player and Ole the manager and I would suggest this has influenced your opinion on his job and overall performance.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The problem with having OGS in a Dof role is this silly obession with looking only for british players. Most of the best talents in the world aren't british and they are cheaper too.
You are aware of our firm interest in Bruno Fernandes right, and our bid for Haaland? The silly obsession you allude to is just something that you've made up.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

Good post. 8 wins from 13, and still people are banging the Ole out drum every single day. What a waste of everybody's time

VanGaalEra

What exactly have his signings displayed to give such trust in his transfer strategy?

Maguire flatters to deceive and we overpaid massively for him. Similarly we overpaid for AWB, a player who I like but who i think will ultimately become a backup for us. Despite initially being impressed by James I actually now see him as a very limited footballer who should not be starting for a club with aspirations to be the best.

It's one of the constant defences of Solksjaer, "his signings have been good" but without our rose tinted glasses on have they really improved us significantly and made us better? I'd state no, despite them (James aside) being upgrades in the respective positions on paper.

Your first post summed up a lot of the problems. You struggle to distinguish between Ole the player and Ole the manager and I would suggest this has influenced your opinion on his job and overall performance.
Why don't you look at the signings without the price paid? Would you rather we signed shitter players then Maguire for half the money spent because it would appease your Accounts at the end of the financial year?

Have the signings improved us? The answer is yes, simple as.

Had we not signed Maguire, did you see that defensive performance against City without him? That's where we would be.

Yakuza_devils

I would even vote sack if Ole somehow magically get us finish Top 4 this season.

Man utd need to play modern attacking football and not counter attacking/defensive football. Majority of our games were so boring. No difference between Jose, LVG and Moyes.

b82REZ

Why don't you look at the signings without the price paid? Would you rather we signed shitter players then Maguire for half the money spent because it would appease your Accounts at the end of the financial year?

Had we not signed Maguire, did you see that defensive performance against City without him? That's where we would be.
I don't believe he has improved us. The only one of the three signings who is a distinct upgrade on his predecessor is AWB.

Whether people want to admit or not, Smalling is a better defender than Maguire, but Maguire is better on the ball. In the grand scheme of this fabled rebuild the central defence should have been the lowest priority due to how over stocked we were in that position. Our defensive woes have been compounded by our lack of a midfield and as this season has shown our defence is not any better than it was 12 months a go.

As trendy as it is to want ball playing defenders, they are the cherry on the cake once you have a functioning team. Also our "ball playing defenders" actually aren't that great on the ball.

So no, they have not improved us, simple as.

el3mel

That's a wrong way to look at it. Had we not signed Maguire Smalling would have been playing against City. The real question is had our defense improved massively by replacing Smalling by Maguire ? The answer is not really. Our defense hasn't improved. We have the second worst defense in terms of goals conceded among the top 6, second to only Chelsea. We concede about pretty much every game. We had 4 clean sheets in the league out of 22 matches. Of course not to mention the entire squad looks in a much weaker state after that summer market than how it looked like in his first 3 months in charge.

el3mel

Last season we averaged 1.42 goals against per match (54 in 38 games), this season 1.13 (25 in 22 games). So the numbers do suggest there's been an improvement.
So we're on the course of finishing the season with +40 goals conceded. Hardly the type of improvement you'll expect on signing a 80m player.

Gehrman

You are aware of our firm interest in Bruno Fernandes right, and our bid for Haaland? The silly obsession you allude to is just something that you've made up.
You're right

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
So we're on the course of finishing the season with +40 goals conceded. Hardly the type of improvement you'll expect on signing a 80m player.
So you claim the defence hasn't improved. He presents stats that clearly show that it has, and now you say it hasn't improved enough? Okay

Amerifan

British fans like British players in a British league. This “silly obsession” is called good business.

romufc

Brilliant. They would rather spend £30m on a CB who they have never seen play, is good on FIFA so they think he will be better than ones we have.

There is nothing better than proven player in the PL. We didn't just need a CB this summer, we required a leader, someone to calm this defence, bring some stability to this defence.

Maguire has done that.

The city game should be an eye opener, every time they attacked, they cut us open. Although our defence has leaked goals, fans have not realised that we don't concede 10 chances a game like we did last year, we concede 2/3.

Most of them from mistakes as well.

Amerifan

So you claim the defence hasn't improved. He presents stats that clearly show that it has, and now you say it hasn't improved enough? Okay
Defensive line has obviously improved. Overall our defense isn't where some people want it because of our problems in midfield. But to claim our defensive line hasn’t improved is silly.

Gehrman

British fans like British players in a British league. This “silly obsession” is called good business.
I just don't want us to miss out on the Toure's, aguero's, silva's, henry's, ronaldo's and Messi's of this world because they are not british.

Foxbatt

It is not British League. It is an English League. It is not good business either. Manchester United has more fans out of England than in England. Almost all United fans want the best players for United. Most of our best players have been non English.

Status
Not open for further replies.