Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Gomes has made 2 Premier League appearances this season.

Chong has made 2 Premier League appearances this season.

you’re either being disingenuous or don’t know what you’re talking about. Either way no point continuing this discussion with you.
Sorry I think that might be all appearences for Chong and Gomes, accusing me of not knowing what I'm talking about is a bit touchy, especially since you was unaware that Abraham had over 30 appearences in the premier league prior to this season.
You're right about there being no point continuing the discussion however, if you watched them play Newcastle today id be impressed if you could argue they broke them down well, they've been in poor form for a while now, once again proving that they're not having a massively better season than we are.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Sorry I think that might be all appearences for Chong and Gomes, accusing me of not knowing what I'm talking about is a bit touchy, especially since you was unaware that Abraham had over 30 appearences in the premier league prior to this season.
You're right about there being no point continuing the discussion however, if you watched them play Newcastle today id be impressed if you could argue they broke them down well, they've been in poor form for a while now, once again proving that they're not having a massively better season than we are.
I think that's best. Anyone willing to argue with Ole's faith in youth, regardless of whether we think he's a good manager or not, isn't worth your breath.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think that's best. Anyone willing to argue with Ole's faith in youth, regardless of whether we think he's a good manager or not, isn't worth your breath.
True, there are so many legitimate criticisms of Ole, we don't need to make more up for him.

el3mel

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/pre...-manchester-united/ar-BBZ5VNt?ocid=spartanntp

Good article and pretty much sums up what I've been saying about him.
It is all very well to speak of youth and promise, to preach the value of patience, but what if in a year or two years or four years, it turns out Solskjær was the wrong man all along? What evidence is there that he is the right man? What if the potential in the squad is squandered as a result? What if, most pressingly, they miss out on appointing somebody of the stature of Mauricio Pochettino as a result of loyalty to the idea of Solskjær?
That pretty much sums it up. Very good paragraph.

Wolfmother

Supports
Man Utd
That pretty much sums it up. Very good paragraph.
No it dosent. It is very lazy! There is a defined job that needs to be done. Even the "Ole out" Crowd need to acknowledge that.

Ok. Lets give the "Ole out crowd" some leaway. Its a result business. The squad isnt bad, it is under preforming. Ole is clueless at tactics. etc.

Right now it really dosent matter. Right now it is about letting the right players go and signing the right ones. It is very much about building a culture, it is very much about building foundations. Not only that, it is about building a bridge between the academy and the first team. The UTD way? 4000 games with academy product at the field. Right now we are where to be expected. And that is with a horrendous injury season. Not even on the planet Mars can you get a team playing football with the fringe players currently at Man Utd. If you want to bitch about that, and try point the finger at Ole, go on! From my point of view, not a chance! If at this point next season, we dont look 100% better, i will join you in the change of manager stance.

I Have 30 years experience in football. Both as player and technical coach. And in no way can i say the team look badly coached. In no way can i say Chelsea look any better, and not Leichester either. I can se a lot of mistakes. I can see heads drop. I can see tactics needed to be tweaked. But for me. This is very lazy. And i find the "Ole out crowd" Far less educated than the "Ole In crowd".

At this moment in time there is nothing to sum up. It is pure survivor skills. Sitting fifth with this squad, and i mean squad with all our injuries is a miracle. And arrogant as it might seam, i really think a few of you need an education!

el3mel

No it dosent. It is very lazy! There is a defined job that needs to be done. Even the "Ole out" Crowd need to acknowledge that.

Ok. Lets give the "Ole out crowd" some leaway. Its a result business. The squad isnt bad, it is under preforming. Ole is clueless at tactics. etc.

Right now it really dosent matter. Right now it is about letting the right players go and signing the right ones. It is very much about building a culture, it is very much about building foundations. Not only that, it is about building a bridge between the academy and the first team. The UTD way? 4000 games with academy product at the field. Right now we are where to be expected. And that is with a horrendous injury season. Not even on the planet Mars can you get a team playing football with the fringe players currently at Man Utd. If you want to bitch about that, and try point the finger at Ole, go on! From my point of view, not a chance! If at this point next season, we dont look 100% better, i will join you in the change of manager stance.

I Have 30 years experience in football. Both as player and technical coach. And in no way can i say the team look badly coached. In no way can i say Chelsea look any better, and not Leichester either. I can se a lot of mistakes. I can see heads drop. I can see tactics needed to be tweaked. But for me. This is very lazy. And i find the "Ole out crowd" Far less educated than the "Ole In crowd".

At this moment in time there is nothing to sum up. It is pure survivor skills. Sitting fifth with this squad, and i mean squad with all our injuries is a miracle. And arrogant as it might seam, i really think a few of you need an education!
How do you know he's going to sign the right players and on what basis are we assuming the next manager is going to like Ole's signings and build on them? The next manager might come and think the players he signed are not good enough for his style of play, bench them and ask for other players. So yes he has a point, we might end up wasting several years and missing on very good available managers as Poch for pure blind truth based on literally nothing but hope.

Paul_Scholes18

If we can smash Liverpool 4-0 I might chance my mind. Not good enough from what I have seen on all levels.
Granted the Glaziers/Woodward might be the reason we are so crap in the market, but Ole is not doing enough with what he had anyway.

Foxbatt

It is a very good article and makes all the relevant points. What is the footballing reason why Ole should be at a top club? No footballing reasons. Just because Jose was crap is not good enough. Well Jose was not crap till the last season. He won the EL, the League Cup and came 2nd in the PL in his two and half seasons.
Incidentally I think if we can put pressure on Chelsea, Lampard may also come under pressure.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

Lets see how your superior knowledge pans out by, say, this time next season.

If what you say is correct - then Ole will still be in a job and the team will be in a better position than it is right now.

90 + 5min

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/pre...-manchester-united/ar-BBZ5VNt?ocid=spartanntp

Another one of those articles that is written just to have something to print. And United sell. The man has not written anything positive about our team (ever?) and is always looking for some quick answers and solutions. In other hand, nothing to see.

Agree to 100%. Looking at games and looking at our quality of players I can't say that we are badly coached. We are where we are. And like you I have experience from football in many ways from coaching, football analysist and scout. Sure, Solskjaer makes sometimes misstakes, but so does every coach. I wonder what people around here would say if we lost against Newcastle. Or drawn against Watford and Sheffield U. Oh, we know. It was just sack, sack, sack, sack. I'm not saying now that Solskjaer is worldbeater but let him continue this rebuild of squad and as long as we are going forward we should stand by him.

I have said long ago. We need to have patience. We have been and still are a club that has lost it roots and lost our way with all the changes since Sir Alex Ferguson. But at the same time I see improvement this year and what we are trying to do. I really believe that we are on right way. If Solskjaer is the man to take us back to glory is another thing and time will tell.

b82REZ

You can't have been a very good coach then if you see progress and a reason to be patient with the current setup and regime. The manager chose to trim the squad to its anaemic levels and has not imposed any sort of radical change of culture despite what you or many others proclaim.

We haven't signed the "right players" yet. AWB is the only actual discernable upgrade on the position from last year. Elsewhere the signings have flattered to deceive and have in no way improved our plight. Throwing unprepared youngsters into the first team is irresponsible and terrible management.

It tends to be a telling sign when someones main argument is, "You're all stupid and I'm right, and I'm a coach" so I doubt I'll get a proper response.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron

I must congratulate the owners, Woodward and Ole dole. The owners earns billions, Woody earns millions and a Ole dole has the time of his life also getting paid like a Wall Street trader. It’s a farce and when you read above masterpiece then you know they have succeed beyond belief.

The most funny part is that there are still those who believe in this charade. Amazing.

Rolaholic

The majority of our transfer money is now the amount the club generates in a week??

Ole isn't doing himself any favors sounding like a mouthpiece for Woodward and co constantly

fergiesarmy1

The majority of our transfer money is now the amount the club generates in a week??

Ole isn't doing himself any favors sounding like a mouthpiece for Woodward and co constantly
£130 million? We don’t generate that a quarter yet never mind a week and is still a big chunk of change anyway. How much do you think can we actually spend every year with barely any incoming fees unlike other clubs without breaking spending rules.

el3mel

That's what I have been saying for ages and people were saying I'm speculating and that Woodward let him down. The reality is Ole knew his budget and decided to splash it on defense rather than midfield or attack. It was his own choice and he has to live and die with it. If the squad looks weaker now than how it looked like in the first 3 months of Ole's reign, it's thanks to how poorly he organized the market and choose his priorities.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

Our turnover is roughly about £500-550m a year. And that's turnover, not profit. 60% of which immediately goes on wages.

I think our fans think we have more money than we actually do. We pay interest payments on debt each year and dividends to the owners. Profits are very very little these days. There is no money tree.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
That's what I have been saying for ages and people were saying I'm speculating and that Woodward let him down. The reality is Ole knew his budget and decided to splash it on defense rather than midfield or attack. It was his own choice and he has to live and die with it. If the squad looks weaker now than how it looked like in the first 3 months of Ole's reign, it's thanks to how poorly he organized the market and choose his priorities.
This. I hope that finally we can put to bed at least this subject about Ole. He got transfer budget and it is pretty big sum. His decision and only his is to spend on those 3 players. He could have spend it on one attacker, on 7 midfielders or 33years old defender for 5 mil, midfielder for 50, winger for 50 etc.....
This is his squad and his choice.

Now, i am looking forward how Ole in brigade will spin this.

chromepaxos

If there was a fight between Ole “in” posters and Ole “out” posters - who do we think would win.

The scenario for this fight is that it takes place at Old Trafford.

Based on the posts in this thread I’ve compiled a list of pros and cons for both sides.

Ole in pros:

Often more knowledgeable and local fans. Would find it easier to mobilise.

Higher level of intelligence would mean they could strategise more.

Ole in cons:
Have families that care about them. Ole out fans could exploit this.

Have real jobs that means it would be hard to pick a specified time to meet up.

Ole out pros:
Have “Neanderthal” strength.

Probably have access to weapons.

All virgins so would not mind the sweet release of death.

Ole out cons:
Would be hard to organise flights from all the sporadic countries

Don’t understand nuance so would probably be fooled by simple traps.

Not sure who would win.
Underappreciated post.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
The only issue I have is that we have seemingly decided not to appoint Sporting director or DOF. Presumably because Ole doesn't want that ( I could be wrong on that one). If somehow Ole doesn't work out then what are the options we have? Sacking him would mean all his plans are in gutter and we will be "rebuilding" again under new manager. Having someone who looks after team recruitment would mean we can have long term planning. At this moment without DOF, we are more or less stuck with Ole ( it can be good thing also) as I don't want another new identity with new manager and restart the whole process.

mu4c_20le

This. I hope that finally we can put to bed at least this subject about Ole. He got transfer budget and it is pretty big sum. His decision and only his is to spend on those 3 players. He could have spend it on one attacker, on 7 midfielders or 33years old defender for 5 mil, midfielder for 50, winger for 50 etc.....
This is his squad and his choice.

Now, i am looking forward how Ole in brigade will spin this.
Nothing to spin, it's just plain hindsight. Most people were over the moon to see the back of Smalling, and I didn't want to spend that much on Maguire either but like any ol transfer saga, almost everyone had convinced themselves that he was the one.

littlepeasoup

It's a good article because it agrees with your viewpoint? Throwing a few percentages around doesn't make it good journalism. It's certainly an effective and easy argument to deride Ole, and I absolutely don't disagree with the some of the analysis put forward (facts are facts after all), but by largely disregarding the current malaise the club finds itself in from the tippy-top down it all rings a bit hollow; it's all so superficial, like saying water is wet. It vaguely insinuates that Poch would be a better man to lead the club without giving any reasons why, or what another manager could do differently to be the 'right' man for the club. It's such a lazy analysis, but since it confirms your viewpoint, fair enough, it's good.

Jostein Hjorteset

I really don't think Solskjaer is the problem. What you get with him is talent overflow over time (if possible). He is great in the so called sports director role. Also a tactical sound approach both for matchday and the squad over time. He is good at that and also draws on the experience of M. Phelan and Carrick, contrary to the fan base view for me at least. It is only so much you could do when the squad is not good enough. It must hurt him more than any other United fans to loose Haaland, a generational talent that he coached and tried to get him to the next level. And Haaland succeeds above all expectations, the only downfall is that he is currently out of Solskjaer's reach. And that has to do with his agent Raiola. Missed a new Rooney... Haaland got the same winner mentality and focus of Ronaldo (his role model) and Zlatan. That is what makes him special.

Dispite this loss (and potentially Fernandes), it is pretty clear for me that Solskjaer will improve our own forwards to deliver (already evident). And he will also overflow the club with young talents and give them a chance. He is most likely vary of changing things too quickly, because then he can loose loyality of the group of players he is coaching. If not given time to succeed I fear the management together with a new so called "star manager" like Pochettino will lead us into the relegation zone. So... as long as Woodward buys Solskjaer's vision I think we should stick to that. It is more an open question if he will succeed after 3 years, and someone else should "fire up" the group of players. Probably his weakness would be that he is not obnoxious enough and seems to wingle a bit under pressure when things goes bad. There are people that can step into that role and enforce him in in those aspects in my opinion. But if he is sacked, we could very well be heading towards the relegation zone due to lack of future direction. The sport director role is now in the hands of Solskjaer and Phelan in my opinion, and any disturbance to that is more hurting than loosing out on Haaland and Fernandes. This club is not Real Madrid or maybe Barcelona, where sound enough decisions are taken at board level.

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

My question now is, if the club miraculously appointed a good DOF who carries the responsibility of rebuilding the club and giving the club an identity, would you want Ole to be the coach under him. Would like the "Ole In" fans to answer this.

Eddy_JukeZ

This completely debunks any idea that Ole was hamstrung this past summer by Woodward.

He chose to spend 130 million on Maguire and Wan-Bissaka.

He'sRaldo

This completely debunks any idea that Ole was hamstrung this past summer by Woodward.

I still remember Woodward complaining about it being very difficult to sign 3 players in a summer window. Can't let him off the hook that easily.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
You take a lot of flack in here, and I don't agree with every single post you make - but you've been spot on with this, and you've also remained firm in your stance and haven't flip-flopped on it at all.

You're completely right with this particular point, and anyone disagreeing with you is essentially calling Ole a 'yes-man' given his quotes now on transfer spending.

Fair play.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Steve Bruce has 10x more experience than you. I'm not sure I value his football opinion more than many Caf posters.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

Steve Bruce has 10x more experience than you. I'm not sure I value his football opinion more than many Caf posters.
Just because someone claims to be a player and a coach doesn't mean he is one actually. I can claim to be a Professor in Physics but it doesn't mean that I am. He spouts a lot of nonsense here and have been a member since only November so it seems he is an Ole fan and not a United fan.

Foxbatt

Ole has been there, done it and bought the t-shirt so he knows what we the fans want, nay demands of a Manchester United team unlike LvG and Mourinho before him, if that's not good enough reason to give him more time I don't know what is.
So have many ex players. So we now give the manager's post to people just because they have played for United? Not because they are competent to be managers? If so is the case SAF would never have been appointed the manager because he has never even played in England let alone United.
How about being a competent manager who can win trophies for Manchester United?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Just because someone claims to be a player and a coach doesn't mean he is one actually. I can claim to be a Professor in Physics but it doesn't mean that I am. He spouts a lot of nonsense here and have been a member since only November so it seems he is an Ole fan and not a United fan.
I don't mind with him being Ole fan either anyway. It's up to him/her. It's just weird using his 'experience' to then posting like that. :D

Foxbatt

I will be most happy if he beats everyone else and wins us the PL and CL. But I just can't see it as I see nothing in his coaching so far to see it work. Look at our set up. With the injury of Scott and Pogba there are only two people who can head the ball. One is Lindelof. So we can't even organize a decent corners or free kicks. You have to blame the manager for the lack of height in our team. He didn't get any replacement for Fellaini and Lukaku.
It looks like we are going to fail with Fernandes now. Look at how some important matches were won by tactics. The Crystal Palace goal was straight from the training ground. Newcastle denied the space on the flanks for Chelsea. If the ball is put into dangerous areas and if the strikers go for it they will score. It's the Manager's job to ensure that the ball is put into these areas and for the strikers to go for it.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

I am firmly in the Ole out camp and I find spending 130m spent on Maguire and AWB as ridiculous especially since we're on a shoe string budget. However we do have a shoe string budget. 74M net spend last season, 43m net spend the year prior....this is not the money spent by a top club in the middle of a rebuilding process.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I am firmly in the Ole out camp and I find spending 130m spent on Maguire and AWB as ridiculous especially since we're on a shoe string budget. However we do have a shoe string budget. 74M net spend last season, 43m net spend the year prior....this is not the money spent by a top club in the middle of a rebuilding process.
This is boring. Do people not see what Arsenal did? They spent peanut on defense and massive on other position, and look at where they are right now. There is no guarantee if we decide to ignore the defense problem or spend peanut on defense while focus on others will makes us in better position. The defense needs to be upgraded, even Jose wanted an upgrade before he was sacked.

momo83

Massive Snowflake

You need to find something other then fifa and Football Manager to pass your time

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
So have many ex players. So we now give the manager's post to people just because they have played for United? Not because they are competent to be managers? If so is the case SAF would never have been appointed the manager because he has never even played in England let alone United.
How about being a competent manager who can win trophies for Manchester United?
He didn't just play for United though did he, he made major contributions during the most successful period in the clubs history, plus he's had nearly a decades experience as a Manager, not all of it successful granted, but once he's got the Gig that doesn't matter, or really shouldn't.

I'm hardly suggesting we should give Ronnie Wallwork(if he's at liberty!), Jonathan Greeening, Danny Higginbotham or John Curtis a go next if Ole gets sacked because they also played for United, and during that period too.

Status
Not open for further replies.