Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the chameleon

Well Southampton is hardly a top side. Pochettino led the team to an eighth-placed finish, their highest league position since 2002–03, while also recording their highest points tally since the Premier League began in 1992–93. Ole got Cardiff at 20th place with just 7 wins and 30 points then he tanked in the Championship again which lead the club to finally sack him. On one hand you've got a person who came second in the EPL and in the CL finals with Spurs. On the other hand you've got Ole who couldn't even cut it in the championship and whose 7th place with Manchester United, 13 points away mighty Leicester.
I’m not even sure why people are comparing the two managers. Poch has far better credentials. He’s not perfect. But he’s a massive upgrade on Ole.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
I’m not even sure why people are comparing the two managers. Poch has far better credentials. He’s not perfect. But he’s a massive upgrade on Ole.
It's the same bunch on here who compares Solskjaer with SAF, Klopp, Poch and every proper football manager who was ever alive. Their logic- if something is said a million times it becomes the truth.

TRUERED89

How did Dan James get on?
A lot worse than Martial that's for sure. You give Anthony chances it's a goal more often than not. Don't know why people expect him to do Messi'esq dribbles and score solo goals all the time. We don't create enough, I've seen him miss just 1 sitter this season, he lives on scraps 95% of the time. Hopefully Bruno will change that.

DFreshKing

Well Southampton is hardly a top side. Pochettino led the team to an eighth-placed finish, their highest league position since 2002–03, while also recording their highest points tally since the Premier League began in 1992–93. Ole got Cardiff at 20th place with just 7 wins and 30 points then he tanked in the Championship again which lead the club to finally sack him. On one hand you've got a person who came second in the EPL and in the CL finals with Spurs. On the other hand you've got Ole who couldn't even cut it in the championship and whose 7th place with Manchester United, 13 points away mighty Leicester.
Who has won trophies? The mighty Leicester were also significantly ahead of Tottenham under Poch, before he was sacked taking a CL finalist team to what position was it again? (14th) This was after spending how much money?

The guy has just failed in PL this very season but somehow you want him at United?

He was below Ole this season with a far superior squad.

DFreshKing

Because Poch was sacked while in 14th place with CL finalist squad. If that is not failure then you should all be fully behind Ole with where he is in the league.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Ole does my head in, he really does.

I go from thinking he’s a lower league manager at best, with limited tactical nous and not enough character to someone who seems to have an uncanny ability to go toe to toe in the big head to heads and come out on top. The pundits, Lampard, the stats people can say what they like but he’s done a job on Chelsea three times now in a season with an aggregate, I think, 8-1 (can’t remember the cup score). At what point is that no coincidence ?

For all that positivity the obvious concern is the inability to put away the smaller fry but that’s rectifiable. A bigger problem would be if we were walloping the Brighton’s and Burnley’s and getting mullered against the top boys - but we are not.

I think I’m just tilting towards thinking Ole maybe the right man and deserves another crack at a summer window. Then again Watford at the weekend could change all that - again.
Its not just Chelsea either. Its now 7 wins from 10 away games against the top 6 (not incl wins at Leicester and PSG). People can take what they will from that stat, but there is no denying that these lot know how to set us up against the big sides. If we can continue that trend and add the quality in the final third to regularly put away the rest, then this team has potential to do something.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Southampton barely avoided relegation and just managed to get 15th when Pochettino took over, you know what happened after that, hint, he didn't relegate them.
It really is scraping the barrel to keep bringing up his time at Cardiff. It has absolutely zero relevance to what is happening at United right now. You are just showing your agenda

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Who has won trophies? The mighty Leicester were also significantly ahead of Tottenham under Poch, before he was sacked taking a CL finalist team to what position was it again? (14th) This was after spending how much money?

The guy has just failed in PL this very season but somehow you want him at United?

He was below Ole this season with a far superior squad.
If you exclude trophies at amateur level then I'd say no one. However Pochs took Southampton to 8th place (record for them) and Spurs to the CL finals. Ole took Cardiff to the 1 division and us to what, 6th place last season? Don't take me wrong I've got my concerns about Poch. He plays a narrow formation that I don't like and he's not that keen of working with a DOF which I think is kind of stupid. I don't like Picasso either btw. I think that Botticelli and Michelangelo are way better artists then he is. However I don't criticise Picasso's art to defend my 14 month old girl's scribbles. Get it?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
If you exclude trophies at amateur level then I'd say no one. However Pochs took Southampton to 8th place (record for them) and Spurs to the CL finals. Ole took Cardiff to the 1 division and us to what, 6th place last season? Don't take me wrong I've got my concerns about Poch. He plays a narrow formation that I don't like and he's not that keen of working with a DOF which I think is kind of stupid. I don't like Picasso either btw. However I don't criticise his art to defend my 14 month old girl's scribbles. Get it?
Remember when you were a United fan?

devilish

???

Do you remember when you were Manchester United fan and not an Ole FC one? Am I doing it right? I am not very good in engaging into childish spats over the internet.

TRUERED89

I go from thinking he’s a lower league manager at best, with limited tactical nous and not enough character to someone who seems to have an uncanny ability to go toe to toe in the big head to heads and come out on top. The pundits, Lampard, the stats people can say what they like but he’s done a job on Chelsea three times now in a season with an aggregate, I think, 8-1 (can’t remember the cup score). At what point is that no coincidence ?

For all that positivity the obvious concern is the inability to put away the smaller fry but that’s rectifiable. A bigger problem would be if we were walloping the Brighton’s and Burnley’s and getting mullered against the top boys - but we are not.

I think I’m just tilting towards thinking Ole maybe the right man and deserves another crack at a summer window. Then again Watford at the weekend could change all that - again.
4-0 at OT
2-1 at the bridge (Caraboa)
3-0 last night.
That's 9-1 agg :lol:

Oops Ighalo didn't score that chance..

You're right 8-1 agg

devilish

All you do now is criticise. You've become one of the agenda posters. Always had you marked as better than that
Do you remember when you were Manchester United fan and not an Ole FC one? Am I doing it right? I am not very good in engaging into childish spats over the internet. Seriously I understand those who think Poch isn't the right man for us, I really do. I have my share of concerns about him myself. However no one should use his CV to defend Ole's. I mean Ole's CV is a train wreck.

And my only agenda was always the same since coming in here ie to see Manchester United succeed. I even criticised Sir Alex when I believed things weren't right and the guy was a frigging living legend whom I met countless times. I'll certainly do the same with his successors.

Now if you want to keep it civilised and on topic then I am all ears. If you're going personal again, then I can't be bothered.

DFreshKing

If you exclude trophies at amateur level then I'd say no one. However Pochs took Southampton to 8th place (record for them) and Spurs to the CL finals. Ole took Cardiff to the 1 division and us to what, 6th place last season? Don't take me wrong I've got my concerns about Poch. He plays a narrow formation that I don't like and he's not that keen of working with a DOF which I think is kind of stupid. I don't like Picasso either btw. I think that Botticelli and Michelangelo are way better artists then he is. However I don't criticise Picasso's art to defend my 14 month old girl's scribbles. Get it?
I'll just reply to the bit I understand. Pochs record is not that great but if we fail this season I can understand him getting a shot but what he did this season is worse than Ole so should stand as a counter weight in the discussion.

Doing worse in the same league at the same time with a stronger squad is some anti achievement especially if you think Ole is so poor. I would also weight that higher in your thinking than something he did at Southampton years ago.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Do you remember when you were Manchester United fan and not an Ole FC one? Am I doing it right? I am not very good in engaging into childish spats over the internet. Seriously I understand those who think Poch isn't the right man for us, I really do. I have my share of concerns about him myself. However no one should use his CV to defend Ole's. I mean Ole's CV is a train wreck.

And my only agenda was always the same since coming in here ie to see Manchester United succeed. I even criticised Sir Alex when I believed things weren't right and the guy was a frigging living legend whom I met countless times. I'll certainly do the same with his successors.

Now if you want to keep it civilised and on topic then I am all ears. If you're going personal again, then I can't be bothered.
There was nothing in my post that wasn't civilised

devilish

I'll just reply to the bit I understand. Pochs record is not that great but if we fail this season I can understand him getting a shot but what he did this season is worse than Ole so should stand as a counter weight in the discussion.

Doing worse in the same league at the same time with a stronger squad is some anti achievement especially if you think Ole is so poor. I would also weight that higher in your thinking than something he did at Southampton years ago.
I wouldn't put so much value on 1 season. Let's face it, the manager can be the second coming of the Christ but if he loses the dressing room and the chairman fails to get rid off the bad apples then the manager will get the sack. Sir Alex was lucky that when he was in that position he got the backup he needed and top players were shown the door.

Anyway, Poch's record in the EPL is decent but not spectacular. Ole's record in the EPL is an absolute train wreck. Now we can sit down and analyse Pochs career. I promise you that we'll agree on some of the negative part as I am not wholly bought by him either. Just don't compare the two. That's all.

Mainoldo

A lot worse than Martial that's for sure. You give Anthony chances it's a goal more often than not. Don't know why people expect him to do Messi'esq dribbles and score solo goals all the time. We don't create enough, I've seen him miss just 1 sitter this season, he lives on scraps 95% of the time. Hopefully Bruno will change that.
Agendas. They don’t know why they hate him. Just know match of the day said he’s not that good.

devilish

There was nothing in my post that wasn't civilised
Well you went personal by judging my support towards a club me and my family had been supporting for the past 3 generations. That's not nice at all and its out of subject as well.

el3mel

Yet another tiresome trope to go with £200 million pounds. You forget the bit where one on the worlds best managers said that second was his greatest achievement in management. That was also May and Ole too over the following December with the team in 6th with 5 loses and 5 draws from 17 played. I pity United 'Fans' routing for Chelsea last night. Another big result at a very difficult place to go. The revisionism here is sad to see, how many Ole outers predicted we were to be destroyed last night and heading towards 14th Place?

Now we are 3 points off 4th, Ole is again proving the doubters wrong. Didn't people want to see fight? Winning mentality?

I'm enjoying today anyway. Get rid of the circus and reinvest well and we might lose a few Poch fans to city next season....
Absolute BS this.

As for that squad, it was the reason Ole got his job thanks to honeymoon period. When he was appointed permanently this nonsense about rebuild wasn't the reason. He was hired because he got great results with the squad he inherited and Woodward thought he hit the jackpot with hiring Ole. This nonsense about the squad being crap and the need for rebuild only appeared when the results went down hill. It was a twist for the narrative.

L1nk

It really is scraping the barrel to keep bringing up his time at Cardiff. It has absolutely zero relevance to what is happening at United right now. You are just showing your agenda
I didn't bring it up, I was just correcting what the previous message said about Pochettino. Though I find it funny everyone bashes Pochettino's cv as a reason for him not to be manager of United, but Solskjaer and his exploits are somehow irrelevant?

Xaviboy

Ole will be the manager next season whatever happens this season. He will keep Ed sweet with results like last night, scrap a draw v Watford then beat Spurs and city in coming weeks.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I didn't bring it up, I was just correcting what the previous message said about Pochettino. Though I find it funny everyone bashes Pochettino's cv as a reason for him not to be manager of United, but Solskjaer and his exploits are somehow irrelevant?
There are so many posts on this forum talking about Oles history, Pochs history, comparisons with Klopp & Fergie and whatever else. None of these are remotely relevant to the question of this thread. Whether we sack or keep Ole should be solely down to how he is performing in this job at this time. Obviously there are varying opinions about that, but the fact is that Ole was fortunate enough to receive a trial period as United manager and he secured the job solely on what he did during that period.

Molde, Cardiff, his CV - none of it is important. Neither is Pochettino. He'll be a strong candidate for the job if we decide that Ole isn't working, but there is little to no evidence that the club are feeling that way. Right now, the odds favour further summer backing in the transfer market and that Ole will lead the team come next seasons kick off.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
For the fore sea able it is. He won't be off his duties for quite some time.
Eventually his luck and charms will run out. Yes at our club removal of incompetent staff is really delayed usually, but the day will come. Sooner rather than later.

DFreshKing

I wouldn't put so much value on 1 season. Let's face it, the manager can be the second coming of the Christ but if he loses the dressing room and the chairman fails to get rid off the bad apples then the manager will get the sack. Sir Alex was lucky that when he was in that position he got the backup he needed and top players were shown the door.

Anyway, Poch's record in the EPL is decent but not spectacular. Ole's record in the EPL is an absolute train wreck. Now we can sit down and analyse Pochs career. I promise you that we'll agree on some of the negative part as I am not wholly bought by him either. Just don't compare the two. That's all.
Ole has never had a full season in the PL to have a train wreck or anything else.

He has half a season at a train wreck club a few years ago and now he had the half of last season which was mixed taking over from a horrible start by a world class manager who did not get the transfers he knew he needed and now one half of season where he is 3 points of his target position on this rebuild season.

A rebuild which is going very well from a recruitment standpoint and we have the Coutinho like financial boast we should get this summer from Pogba's sell on if he continues in his successful transfer activity we may be right back in the mix. Stranger things have happened, this is something you would expect United supporters would want but i'm not sure some people here actually do.

devilish

Ole has never had a full season in the PL to have a train wreck or anything else.

He has half a season at a train wreck club a few years ago and now he had the half of last season which was mixed taking over from a horrible start by a world class manager who did not get the transfers he knew he needed and now one half of season where he is 3 points of his target position on this rebuild season.

A rebuild which is going very well from a recruitment standpoint and we have the Coutinho like financial boast we should get this summer from Pogba's sell on if he continues in his successful transfer activity we may be right back in the mix. Stranger things have happened, this is something you would expect United supporters would want but i'm not sure some people here actually do.
Ole had an embarrassing season with Cardiff and if things remain on the same trend to what we had at the start of the season then he'll have an embarrassing first full season with us as well. As said, Pochs is far from perfect and I don't mind analysing his strengths and weaknesses if you want. Just don't compare his CV to Ole's. That's ridiculous

DFreshKing

Ole had an embarrassing season with Cardiff and if things remain on the same trend to what we had at the start of the season then he'll have an embarrassing first full season with us as well. As said, Pochs is far from perfect and I don't mind analysing his strengths and weaknesses if you want. Just don't compare his CV to Ole's. That's ridiculous
What season?

He has never had a season in England. Is it that hard to grasp?

Cardiff was a horrible job that he never should have taken but it has zero impact here. How it currently looks is pretty much what you would expect with the injuries/issues we have had but huge credit to him for keeping the dressing room, clearing out deadwood and fighting for the CL spots while bringing in some long term players with the right attitude and ability.

I actually think it will be a huge achievement and a testament if he succeeds and support him 100% while he still can.

AneRu

That’s the only positive thing Martial did all game long
Given that we obviously want Grealish and Sancho I don't see us having enough funds to fund a big transfer for a striker and neither do I see anyone paying us anything remotely close to what we need to fund a striker. In a perfect world we sell Pogba for a huge fee, small chance of that happening now, sell Martial for about 60m, Henderson for about 30m with a buyback and get another 30m or so from Jones, Lingard and Smalling sales which would allow us to bring four or five in but I just think we can live with Martial in the side for one more season whilst we attend other more critical positions like RW, DM and attacking midfield.

Alek M

Da manic one

Fair post mate. We outplayed Liverplool, City, Chelsea, and Spurs this season.
We do struggle against the lower teams and wondered if he can inspire the team, because it is easy to get inspired when playing the top teams.
But then, Rashford has been our talisman this season. Without him, we don’t have another person that can step up and score if Rashford is injured or has a bad game. Bruno should help, but we need somebody like Daniel James from the first 4 games.
We were going on 330 minutes without scoring before Martials goal. (Great comentator curse, as soon as he said it on nbc stream we scored)

Alek M

Da manic one
For people that want Poch, are you serius? He has no greater ability to manage egos and dressing room than Ole. None.

Can somebody explain to me how do Spirs go from CL final and pushing for the title, after a summer of rainforcements to become a midtable team? If he was that great he would have build on last season and push Liverpool for the tittle

R'hllor

:lol: What the feck you even talking about, him seeing Ole good or not good enough has feck all to do with volume of club supporter. I swear every since we let that cnut JM in, we have this followers sheep mentality around glued to specific person. He had his fans before he even became a United manager and he still has them, winning shit with Chelsea no problem, saying shit about us, no problem, now we have United fan who drools about fecking Pochetino, imagine dealing with that crap if he ever becomes United manager. Seems its no different when it comes to Ole.

During JM, we had fans turning against players on basis are they behind JM or not, is he against them or not, fecking hell.

devilish

What season?

He has never had a season in England. Is it that hard to grasp?

Cardiff was a horrible job that he never should have taken but it has zero impact here. How it currently looks is pretty much what you would expect with the injuries/issues we have had but huge credit to him for keeping the dressing room, clearing out deadwood and fighting for the CL spots while bringing in some long term players with the right attitude and ability.

I actually think it will be a huge achievement and a testament if he succeeds and support him 100% while he still can.
Well he was between January and September with Cardiff were he was an absolute train wreck and he's been with us since December 2018. Under his management United suffered the worst start since 1989 and we're currently 12 points away mighty Leicester which is just 2 points less than the gap that separate us from West Ham on the other side. Let that sink in

TRUERED89

That’s the only positive thing Martial did all game long
Fantastic, keep scoring every game and I couldn’t care less. When the team actually creates real chances Martial is usually always on the scoresheet anyway. He’s not going to hold the ball up like Lewandowski or go on crazy solo runs like Messi, but he’s clinical. He should make more runs in behind but prior to Bruno no one would bother to find him so why would he keep making those runs with Lingard and Andreas behind him. Hopefully that improves going forward.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
I'll remind you of that, God willing, in 18 months time when he's still Manager ;)
Yes pray well for his survival, because all logic has failed, so now only prayers can work. However if sense prevails, you won't need to in another 4 months time.

Status
Not open for further replies.