Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CR1

Yes I was. Right from the off it was clear he wasn't someone we should make in charge for our rebuild.

How do I know?

From what HE said during interviews. Didn't he say he was happy with the squad on more than once? Didn't he say he will give young players a chance and they were ready? Didn't he say we chose not to go for a forward because he wasn't the 'right type'?

He has signed three players and didn't address midfield and attack. We lost many senior players that he oversaw going on loan or selling without replacing. So, yes most of the mess is on him. And will take a while for the next one in line to fix his mess.
Ok, then you are consistent. Doesn't necessarily mean you're right though.

The mess is still not mostly on him. Managers say things like they're happy with the squad they've got all the time. Doesn't mean they really are, but they have to say that.

It's what they say behind closed doors that's important.

And like I said, no one knows what he said behind closed doors in terms of additional signings he wanted. And Lukaku and Sánchez he pretty much had to get rid of because of wages and squad harmony issues. Bottom line is we already know the money men don't like to spend the money on the team/club. For example, the window after we finished second under Mourinho, they judged a third-choice GK, an academy right-back and a midfielder untried in the PL to be enough to close the gap to City. Obviously Ole had nothing to do with this but he still had to try and fix it. He fixed the defense but likely wasn't backed to bring in midfielders as well. Do you really seriously think we wouldn't be better off right now of we'd have signed a few of the below-mentioned players? Even if Ole said no to further transfers, which is highly unlikely, he should have got more help (in the form of a DOF) who could have vetoed that. A DOF the money men said was coming but that is nowhere to be seen.

This is the biggest issue I have as I think the club is rotten in terms of structure, owners and hierarchy, BUT if Ole was genuinely happy with this squad at the start of the season and that it was mostly his decision not to add one or two stop gap signings then I think you do have to question his judgement. The emphasis he's put on the young players to help this team get Top 4 has been counter productive and extremely unfair. Yes Greenwood has got the odd goal and he's a really exciting player but he often looks lost out there and we're sending him on to grab a goal in a premier league match. The same with Chong. Some of the young lads clearly aren't ready and to throw them into this mess is not right. Ole said in the summer that adding another striker would halt Greenwood's progress and now it seems he admits that we need to get someone in January. That's a big error in judgement.
Agreed, but I have a hard time believing that Ole would have said no to players like

- Callum Wilson
- Maddison or Fernandes
- John McGinn
- Declan Rice
- Etc

Who would all likely have agreed to sign for us. With those players we'd be way higher up the table.

Last edited:

Sea-Cow

Won't need an excuse because I don't think for one second we'll be in this mess come Xmas.
Not even for one second? I am genuinely curious -- what do you see that makes you think this will turn around? If Ole stays on there is not a chance in hell that we're in the top half of the table at Xmas.

I guess one could say Martial and Pogba returning, but I dont know mate..... I guess I just don't share the optimism.

reddevil702

Milan sack Giampaolo for getting 9 points through 7 matches. Ole has 9 in 8 matches and yet some are still going on about the "vision" ffs.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name

Class of 63

Sourness
It’s hilarious that after all of our poor managerial appointments, some weirdos feel spouting their sanctimonious holier than thou agendas is worthwhile. Sorry, but most logical normal fans want the club to be successful again.

No one wants the Glazers or Ed but they’re here and while they remain, we need a modern, progressive manager to come in who can actually coach and improve players and work with what he has. But hey, supporting a manager clearly out of his depth that’s shown regression as opposed to progression is obviously some fans forte. Being a top red is definitely more important.

Oh and what weirdo eats sugar puffs unless you’re like 13 which would explain a-lot about one certain poster.
Yeah because I was really going off to eat some Sugar Puffs :rolleyes:

Suv666

Dont think any manager will thrive at Utd atm. Things are a mess right now, its been so fecking obvious we need a RW yet we continue to play without one for the last 5+ years, you dont see that very often in any club let alone a rich club like Manchester United. Everyone on here knew going into a season with Rashford as the main CF wont work yet the board werent able to predict it. We sold Fellaini and Herrera with no replacements, clear as day we would struggle in the midfield department but the board deemed our current midfield good enough. How can any manager succeed in these conditions. The club is a mess from top to bottom. Even Klopp and Pep would get sacked at United. Changing managers would do feck all.

RG 11

Dont think any manager will thrive at Utd atm. Things are a mess right now, its been so fecking obvious we need a RW yet we continue to play without one for the last 5+ years, you dont see that very often in any club let alone a rich club like Manchester United. Everyone on here knew going into a season with Rashford as the main CF wont work yet the board werent able to predict it. We sold Fellaini and Herrera with no replacements, clear as day we would struggle in the midfield department but the board deemed our current midfield good enough. How can any manager succeed in these conditions. The club is a mess from top to bottom. Even Klopp and Pep would get sacked at United. Changing managers would do feck all.

The board's pretty incompetent but a lot of this is on ole as well. For all his talks about playing the United way, his targets were a CB, a defensive full back and an unproven winger. I meant if we have listed funds, ole needs to work with Woody to target players which achieves a balanced squad. Not go bottom heavy and gut the top.

Class of 63

Sourness
Not even for one second? I am genuinely curious -- what do you see that makes you think this will turn around? If Ole stays on there is not a chance in hell that we're in the top half of the table at Xmas.

I guess one could say Martial and Pogba returning, but I dont know mate..... I guess I just don't share the optimism.
Apart from West Ham away where we weren't really at the races our form has been okay this season, nothing to write home about, but nowhere near as bad as the press would have us believe, eradicate the schoolboy errors(and you can't blame the Manager for those, though some would) and we're in a far healthier position.

We'll be fine.

Last edited:

John Blund

There's no point sacking Ole now for Woody. Either the board stands behind Ole's philosophy, or they end up like clowns for not standing behind their own decision for more than 2 months after the summer-window.

If we don't improve the next two months, I understand if the board and Woody panic in January, but I don't think they lack balls to stand behind their decision until x-mas. Longterm I don't think it would benefit us if we got a new manager in now, not before we got a DOF ready.

Longterm I still believe selling Lukaku and shipping out Sanchez was the right thing to do. Not resigning Herrera wasn't good for our team, but Herrera isn't worth a +£300k, 5 years contract.
I didn't fancy Fellaini style, but his mentality is missed.
Not bringing in players who don't want join us seems like a no-brainer for me.
Solskjaer hasn't done the same mistake he did in Cardiff, by bringing in 10 new players. In our case, we'd be better of if he'd done just that. We've shipped out Lukaku, Sanchez, Fellaini, Herrera, Valencia, Darmian, Smalling, (James Wilson). We've also frozen out P.Jones, Rojo. We all wish we don't play Matic, Mata, Fred, Young. Bailly is always injured. JLingz has transitioned from football talent to superstar parody.
We bought 3 new, and else we rely on youngsters from our academy. I know Greenwood, Gomes, Chong, and Garner aren't good enough to start for a team that regard themselves as a serious contender of the top 4. Still, I'm unhappy every week I see Mata, Matic, JLings, and Fred are picked ahead of them. How did we put ourselves in this position?

thesharpeyshuffle

Still firmly in the "don't sack" camp. The past three or four games haven't been anywhere near good enough. But in general United have been very badly rewarded in terms of points for some decent performances so far this season. Sure, we're twelfth at the minute. But we're only five points away from fourth, having played eight games in the league. Would people be going bananas with positivity, in diametrical opposition to the negative vibes now, if we had won against Palace, Wolves and Southampton (like we probably should have)? Personally, I don't think so. We have five, maybe six of our starting XI injured. And a very young squad to back those players up. Most sides would struggle in this kind of situation. I'd rather we give Ole and his coaching team two more windows and a proper go with backing from the board, than sack him and start all over again.

tomaldinho1

Apart from West Ham away where we weren't really at the races our form has been okay this season, nothing to write home about, but nowhere near as bad as the press would have us believe, eradicate the schoolboy errors(and you can't blame the Manager for those, though some would) and we're in a far healthier position.

We'll be fine.
I don't know what you've been watching but this smacks of the main issue, the fact some of us are just accepting of how poorly we're playing. It's awful.

USREDEVIL

can we add would you sack woodward ....i think you'll find both go hand in hand
Nah mate.
One is a financial wizard and footballing novice. He's had plenty of time to prove otherwise but hasn't.
One is a United Legend, semi-newb manager but has the right spirit and overall agenda if not managerial nous possibly. Not enough time to prove himself otherwise at United.

vivaronaldo

lets
Nah mate.
One is a financial wizard and footballing novice. He's had plenty of time to prove otherwise but hasn't.
One is a United Legend, semi-newb manager but has the right spirit and overall agenda if not managerial nous possibly. Not enough time to prove himself otherwise at United.
be honest - if his name isnt ole would you hire a manager from Molde who for Cardiff relegated ???? hiring on emotion is proving to be a disaster

there are better options out there , but if woodward is there, its irrelevant

USREDEVIL

lets

be honest - if his name isnt ole would you hire a manager from Molde who for Cardiff relegated ???? hiring on emotion is proving to be a disaster

there are better options out there , but if woodward is there, its irrelevant
No but every decision is made with context. You can't ask for a decision in a vacuum that you've created. It's not just that he's a legend. He's had some decent managerial experience, is focused on the future, and is doing a good job of changing the squad. Needs more time though and more $$. I'm not going down with Ole or anything but I think we should just give it a year assuming we're not near the bottom come Christmas.

SteveW

We came into the season with a wafer thin squad and played well for the first couple of games but we've since lost 5 of our first 11 through injury. Due too our poor squad we end up relying on Young, Fred, Matic, Mata, Lingard, Pereira, Rashford. These players were all consistently crap under the previous manager so I struggle to suddenly say its down to coaching.

Changing the manager will change absolutely nothing imo. We need to fix the squad. Plain and simple.

SteveW

We'll be fine.
This is being missed for some reason. We could easily be several points better off. I've don't ever remember us having such a run of bad luck from missed penalties/sitters, shit refereeing and individual defensive errors.

GASHEAD

Supports
Bristol Rovers
If this poll was on the forum of any rivals the vote would be overwhelmingly for Ole to stay.

Winrar

Don’t think sacking of ole alone would get us anywhere long term so I am quite ambivalent on this issue.

That said, our current board (I.e. Woodward and the glazers) are the real reason for the current rotting of the club so hypothetically if anyone had the choice, they should be the ones sacked first.

JSW Devil

Some of us are not expecting us to run before we learn how to walk, not literally.
Some of us don’t expect us to learn to walk very well if we shoot ourselves in the foot, not literally.

We don’t even have a spine that’s necessary for a team to work, we have DeGea, you could say Maquire though he’s not yet proven and Pogba who wants to leave but where is our striker, at best this is an unfinished unproven and want away spine and that’s down to Ole, as soon as he got the job he should of been planning this season he had the whole summer yet we get rid of our strikers and don’t replace them, This is akin to having a car thinking I don’t like the alloys so I’ll get rid of them now drive about on the brake discs until I can get some new ones.

Sad Chris

I think the failure to support Ole and the team regardless of the style and results is just worsening the situation.

I‘d prefer us to get behind him and our squad and support them. We‘re in a crap situation that we‘ve created ourselves and are not going to find a quick fix even if we fire him.

We need more of a feck you attitude to the outside and less to the inside. Being so awfully divided is harming us more than helping us.

Accepting that we are only mid-table quality at the moment would be useful. Recognising that the shit we play is shit, but at least it’s our shit. Way better than envying every other club out there.

Changing the manager does not guarantee long-term improvement. If it did, I would say sack him. As it doesn’t, I want to hold on through thick and thin.

I called for every other post-Ferguson manager to be fired and it never worked out the way I hoped.

I believe if we work our way through this slump with the same manager and squad, everybody will have gained priceless experience.

Perhaps it will suck big time, but somehow most supporters of other clubs manage to hang in there, too. Why do us Utd-supporters think we’re special? If the Caf is anything to go by, we are possibly the worst bunch of supporters under the sun.

Class of 63

Sourness
This is being missed for some reason. We could easily be several points better off. I've don't ever remember us having such a run of bad luck from missed penalties/sitters, shit refereeing and individual defensive errors.
It's missed conveniently methinks, Chelsea was good to very good, Wolves was probably our most complete away performance for years and if Pogba hadn't taken the penalty off Rashford we'd probably have won and deservedly so, and Palace was a good performance only spoiled by collective schoolboy errors for the first goal, and them scoring a last minute winner when Pogba got caught fannying about in possession allowing them to score on the counter-attack which is the only tactic they have, if ever there was a time for one of his booming 70 yard passes to nobody it was then! - win those first three games as we should have done and we're flying, the confidence is up, the fans would see progress was being made, but instead of 9 points we had 4 then the injuries and erm questionable referee decisions started, then the wheels came off.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
What’s the latest on all our injured players- when are they all due back?

Looking at the PL fixtures coming up through early December - if we fail to get some wins out of Brighton, Norwich, Bournemouth, Sheffield and Villa then Ole will be gone before Christmas.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Are you be obtuse on purpose?

The club was not what it is now in the late 40s early 50s. We had bounced between divisions and expectations were low. The club could afford to give time, but Sir Matt showed an instant improvement so their faith was justified. We don't know what may have happened had Sir Matt not finished 2nd in his first season.

What you are proposing is what Liverpool tried in the early 90s. Back club legends and hope they can turn it around. We are mirroring their decline to a frightening degree.

Solskjaer has shown absolutely zero progress. If we continue to let him manage the team we risk a serious chance of a relegation battle. It's becoming more evident his initial run was simply the new manager effect.

The squad probably isn't good enough for a top 6 spot currently, but we should be seeing some signs of a plan. We look completely devoid of ideas and that falls solely on the manager.

We absolutely need to gut the squad but we need someone who is at least implementing some sort of strategy, not blindly throwing youth players out and hoping they click somehow.

We can't blame the injuries because we've looked equally clueless with our supposed best 11 playing.
He gutted a squad that finished 2nd the year before. Added 150m to it. And now the squad isnt strong enough for top 6th.

But it isnt his fault.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
No but every decision is made with context. You can't ask for a decision in a vacuum that you've created. It's not just that he's a legend. He's had some decent managerial experience, is focused on the future, and is doing a good job of changing the squad. Needs more time though and more $$. I'm not going down with Ole or anything but I think we should just give it a year assuming we're not near the bottom come Christmas.
Not sure if serious

Class of 63

Sourness
Some of us don’t expect us to learn to walk very well if we shoot ourselves in the foot, not literally.

We don’t even have a spine that’s necessary for a team to work, we have DeGea, you could say Maquire though he’s not yet proven and Pogba who wants to leave but where is our striker, at best this is an unfinished unproven and want away spine and that’s down to Ole, as soon as he got the job he should of been planning this season he had the whole summer yet we get rid of our strikers and don’t replace them, This is akin to having a car thinking I don’t like the alloys so I’ll get rid of them now drive about on the brake discs until I can get some new ones.
The spine takes time and it wasn't Ole's fault Pogba wanted to leave, or that nobody stumped up the cash for him so we could bring in a replacement.

And on the strikers, Ole obviously has confidence in Martial and Rashford with the precocious Greenwood in the wings, he wanted an auxiliary attacker to share the load but it was never going to be somebody to come in and play as a no.9, or be a regular starter at no.9

starman

Still keep...

Not one person on here has been proven right, no matter how many times they've been shouting to sack the manager, been it Moyes, LVG or Jose we are still as bad off, constantly papering over the cracks after each cycle endd and another begins.
Ole is not ideal, far from it, all I know is that I've agreed with all the players he's brought in and who he has shipped out and can't say that about any of the other previous 3 managers...

Foxbatt

He has only bought three players and this is only October. It's his fault that he let go of so many players and never replaced them. It's bollocks to talk about not getting the right players he wants. Any decent player would walk into this United team.
As Gary Neville admitted Lukaku, Fellaini and Herrera would walk into this United team.
Ole is more out of his depth than Moyes ever was. At least Moyes managed a decent size club and was always in the top half of the PL. But he was not good enough. So why does anyone think that someone whose only experience in the PL was getting Cardiff relegated is good enough for Manchester United?
Woodward is an idiot but this culling of the squad and not getting replacements is entirely due to Ole.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
The truth that too many of our fans are acting like spoilt little princesses, it's simple really, and if you asked any neutral fan they'd confirm it. Stop being so friggin sensitive about it.

And did you see any evidence of any kind of playing style or tactics in SAF's first 10 months in charge? And if you answer yes you're lying.

Naive eh? So it's okay for you to insult people, rightio.
Well I'm a neutral fan.

While I know what it means going through hard patches, if not seasons and how long it takes to rebuild a team (we were there more than once and not later than after winning the title), I can tell you that I completely understand why people are concerned and imo Ole isn't the man for this job, no matter how well he means. I know a builder when I see one, and in fact I'm absolutely amazed that there are still so many fans behind Ole, when he's got little to nothing to show for since he's been permanently appointed, be it results or improvement on the pitch. And we're talking about 9 months, which is more than enough for a manager to stamp his style on a team. The cynical in me would even suggest that these results are perfectly in line with what he did with Cardiff. That he's learning his trade at your expense.

Considering the expectations of such a massive club like yours and his performances, I rather think that he got much more time than any other manager would have if it wasn't for that famous goal in '99. I sincerely doubt that someone with such an unappealing CV as manager would have been touched with a barge pole after Mourinho's sacking if not for his connection to the club. The jump in class too big, especially in one of the toughest leagues in the world. For stating the obvious, he's been permanently appointed way too fast, on a sentimental basis. And I fear that a lot of your fans still defending him, are doing it for the same reasons.

To be brutally honest, any other opposition fan I know wish you rather keep him than appoint another manager who could actually get a bit more from this team. Some of you are acting like you have Millwall's squad, but in my opinion and even with these injuries, you should be able to do a bit better than what you're actually producing. Or you didn't see really shite players for a very, very long time. If you rely only on 2-3 players to make it work then there's something fundamentally wrong in your system.

Going with such an unbalanced, thin squad was utter madness, injuries are bound to happen and if he didn't sanction it, then he should've walked. You look rudderless on the pitch, disjointed, with no discernable game plan. No matter how you're poorly run from the top, and you definitely are, there's a minimum that a manager should be able to deliver on the pitch. I personally don't see it, even at full strength. I do see however youngsters put under massive pressure and thrown too fast in the lion's den without any kind of preparation or being previously loaned.

Take a look at what Benitez has done at Newcastle despite Mike Ashley and on a shoestring before eventually giving up, because enough is enough at some point. Now that was and still is a crap squad, yet he won the Championship right after their relegation and kept them in the PL against all odds. Watch them nose diving now and very likely getting relegated at the end of the season. See how mad their fans are at Ashley because he didn't back him and let him go. I know that they don't have the same ambitions as yours but it was to illustrate how a manager can make a squad look more than the sum of its parts despite being hampered by the board. The list is non-exhaustive.

I also see the last line of defense being his signings. They're indeed good, there's no question about that, although the jury's still out about James, whom I quite like. While he could've done worse, it doesn't take any kind of genius to sign hot targets like Maguire or AWB for £130M. You were crying out loud for a DM, a ST and a RW, yet bought another LW. I also don't understand the "british obsession", you're likely to overpay for them with no guarantee in return.
Unearthing gems is more like picking Kanté from an obscure team in the french premier league for £6M or plucking Mahrez for £400,000 out of the french championship. Just picked these two examples because they're the easiest ones for me. There are plenty others, but you must have the scouting network and the manager with connections and an eye for talent.

I might be wrong, maybe by some kind of miracle Ole will somehow turn it around, but he looks already like a dead man walking and it's now just a matter of when. "Rumors" are already leaking in the papers as well as "talks" about an eventual successor, signs that the shit is already hitting the fan behind the doors. As long as Woodward keeps making money he won't go, you can't sack the players, no matter how shit they are, and the manager will always be the fall guy. On the other side, you just can't keep a struggling manager for the hell of it and if he gets the sack, he won't coach in England ever again. Not even in the Championship.

Not rubbing any salt or being snarky, I liked the player and he seems like an honest bloke, who really loves your club. But the solution he isn't and he and the board should've known better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sultan

Mark Pawelek

Changed my mind. United need a coach fluent in modern tactics, combined with a DoF able to build the squad for the long term. Any coach replacing Ole must be able to make best use of available players. Don't fully trust the coach to bring in players - after Mourinho - for example buying: Lukaku, Matic, Fred, ... Pochettino, or one of Bielsa's other acolytes should coach. Pochettino is obviously the most qualified, given his experience of English football. New manager should be given 3 years to build a team of league challengers.

Gazzaroon

Honestly, it's an issue of patience and long term planning - something that hasn't happened since SAF left in 2013. Sacking Ole will just continue the cycle of changing managers every couple of seasons. I think Ole doing the right thing in his approach, but it is taking time in front of the world's press and fans, and that's painful for everyone!

Most fans called for the removal of dead wood from the team - Ole did that and we rejoiced. Now, it's rebuilding time and Ole put some trust in some players who simply are not performing at the moment - all that can change in the blink of an eye in football! Now, the real rebuilding is starting that should have started 6 years ago. Ole is asking players to play for the badge NOT their salaries and bonuses and that is quite a change in mindset at this current Man Utd setup! For 6 years it's all been about money-might and now he's trying to change that, and man is that the challenge of the century!

Let's get behind the manager, challenge the players to play for the badge and allow Ole to make the changes needed to rebuild a great club again!

Reactions: Sultan

Micky Targaryen

So AC Milan has sacked their manager 7 games into the season with a record of 3 wins 4 losses.

So far, having 8 games played, Ole has won 2 games, drawn 3, lost 3.

And our next game is Liverpool... :rolleyes:

Foxbatt

Honestly, it's an issue of patience and long term planning - something that hasn't happened since SAF left in 2013. Sacking Ole will just continue the cycle of changing managers every couple of seasons. I think Ole doing the right thing in his approach, but it is taking time in front of the world's press and fans, and that's painful for everyone!

Most fans called for the removal of dead wood from the team - Ole did that and we rejoiced. Now, it's rebuilding time and Ole put some trust in some players who simply are not performing at the moment - all that can change in the blink of an eye in football! Now, the real rebuilding is starting that should have started 6 years ago. Ole is asking players to play for the badge NOT their salaries and bonuses and that is quite a change in mindset at this current Man Utd setup! For 6 years it's all been about money-might and now he's trying to change that, and man is that the challenge of the century!

Let's get behind the manager, challenge the players to play for the badge and allow Ole to make the changes needed to rebuild a great club again!
What makes you think he is capable of doing so? Nothing in his past has shown he is capable of doing so. He relegated Cardiff and only managed Molde in Norway. There are plenty of managers who have done much better than Ole. Even Roy Keane. When he took over Sunderland was at the bottom and he got them promoted.
Ole has no clue. He is not a top class manager that a club of the stature of Manchester United should employ.
It's his idiocy that landed us in this mess now. All the players he got rid of would walk into this side.

Status
Not open for further replies.