Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

red thru&thru

I voted keep.

It’s on the basis that there’s no plan if we sack. Basically Brexit.

If we had a plan of replacing with Pochettino, and a DoF too then I’d reconsider my vote. Or even VDS and the Ajax manager.
This.

red4ever 79

I'd at least give him the whole season. that means 3 windows and if he is vastly underperforming, i.e. below 12th then he wouldn't have earned further stay.
So we have gone from a team that should be winning things, to accepting a standard like Liverpool and Arsenal had to endure for years which was 'all about getting top 4' and now we are saying falling as low as 12th just to keep Ole in a job. We are Manchester United. Wtf is going on here

MadMike

To be honest, if he hadn't been a club legend as a footballer nobody would be defending him now.

His only top level experience was getting relegated with Cardiff and he's overseen our worst league start in 30 years. The team plays like it's got no plan or idea what it's doing. We look lethargic and our attack looks completely impotent.

I bet the Board are in the market for alternatives in case he doesn't turn it around in the next few games. Which is look more and more likely.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
There was only a majority wanting his sacking from the preseason of the following season onwards. Our mood was actually no way near as toxic at seasons end.

It was when he was openly criticising the training of pre season facilities, the scheduling, the lack of transfers and then the players themselves when the season kicked off and we started playing.. . that was when it got sour.
You and I remember things very differently but anyway going off topic

Wilt

Djizuz fecking Christ! I’m sure I have a larger group of intelligent life in my ball sack than this place! You are as much use as fans as a handbrake on a cano.
:lol:

Wolff to ball sack, Wolff to ball sack, do you read me? ....over.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I voted keep.

It’s on the basis that there’s no plan if we sack. Basically Brexit.

If we had a plan of replacing with Pochettino, and a DoF too then I’d reconsider my vote. Or even VDS and the Ajax manager.
Makes no sense. The question is whether you'd sack him. Not whether you'd sack him and then walk off and leave others to make disconnected decisions subsequently. Obviously if you'd sack him you would replace him with someone you think is better.

I can't even vote on this. I personally think he's on his last legs. I'm giving him a couple of months but feel he's a goner. That's not a keep and that's not a sack. We should start looking for a replacement.

red4ever 79

W
So finally we can say with proof that Caf is 60% positive and the people too afraid to get out of " Is United forum safe to go into" thread can come out now.
Well you would need everyone to vote to have an opinion on what the Caf feeling is. Only around 400 people have voted. Like the Brexit all over again

Dr. StrangeHate

It's not an odd example, Poch would not have got the support he got at Spurs here - our fans have proven that with the last 4 managers

As for the Mourinho line, of course he didn't achieve in 2.5 years what Poch has done in 5 because well it's obvious
Are you sure mate? Look at the poll. Ole will likely get 7th to 10th this year and most still support him.
Poch took a team that finished 6th the season before he joined and finished in 5th, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the following seasons with a net spend of 29 million (2014-2018) compared to United of £466 million (2014-2018*). People would be over the moon with that if the net spend allowed was just £29 million.
*The reason I chose 2014-2018 because we don't know what will happen this season in the absolute terms?

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Keep for now but can't see him lasting long term.

If he doesn't there is potentially still some merit in what he has done in clearing the decks.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Are you sure mate? Look at the poll. Ole will likely get 7th to 10th this year and most still support him.
Poch took a team that finished 6th the season before he joined and finished in 5th, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the following seasons with a net spend of 29 million (2014-2018) compared to United of £466 million (2014-2018*). People would be over the moon with that if the net spend allowed was just £29 million.
*The reason I chose 2014-2018 because we don't know what will happen this season in the absolute terms?
I cant see the poll as I haven't voted. I guess we'll see come May if we do finish 10th whether the majority are still with him or not, have to remember we're less than 10 games into this season right now

Melville Red

Voted keep till at least to the end of the season. We might have to sack him if we finish where we are now or even worse with no decent run in any cup competitions.
However we all know what the underlying problems is and that won’t change till Woodward gets out of anything to do with football, or better still decks off completely, there are other well qualified people able to do his job and we might just see an improvement on how the club is actually ran.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Sack him, but we need new players as well and woody needs stay away from the football side of things.

Dr. StrangeHate

I cant see the poll as I haven't voted. I guess we'll see come May if we do finish 10th whether the majority are still with him or not, have to remember we're less than 10 games into this season right now
It is 60% in favour of keep.

Alabaster Codify7

Sack.

He looks scared and lost. His demeanour during games is exactly the same as David Moyes - he seems like a rabbit in the headlights, unsure about what to do next. This job is way too big for the manager of Molde and Cardiff City - it was way too big for Moyes and managing Everton in the top 6 of the table a much better CV than anything Ole can put forward.

He's not helped by his coaching team which is as mid-table as you can get, and his squad is equally poor. But he had a hand in that squad, too.

Sack him, write off the season completely, hope we don't get sucked into a relegation battle - because I don't think our squad has the mentality to survive one. Talent-wise, it shouldn't matter, but this squad is made up of mentally weak players who do not turn up when it matters, I don't think they would survive a relegation battle if it came to one.

It won't happen though, Ed will wait until top 4 is mathematically impossible while being deluded into hoping we might rally and scrape our way in.

Ed said they're willing to forfeit a title challenge for 3yrs. That doesnt mean they are willing to accept bottom half of the table - those posters rabidly confident that Ole will not be fired, need to mark those words very carefully indeed.

TRUERED89

I love Ole and I want him to succeed so bad, but he really isn't doing himself any favours with tactics and team selections. Not to mention his dejected/defeatist David Moyes style post match interviews :(.

Mainoldo

Its surely not as simple as that, what the point of sacking Ole if there is no plan or anyone to replace him?
It really is that simple. We sacked Mourinho with no plan. That worked out fine.. they just forgot to work on the bloody plan or actually replacing him instead of giving the intermin because he beat PSG. Looking back i actually wish we lost that game.

SwedishFish

We look about the same as we did last year under Mourinho.

Absolutely dire football with no creativity in attack.

I voted sack, but the only reason we shouldn't do it now is that we simply cannot get anyone better in that would do a good job with the state that the club is in.

I'd rather see Woodward go first.

Mainoldo

He has become a victim of his early success

In all honestly a DOF role at the club would suit him much better

I don't think it would. I mean except buying 3 British players what versatility has he shown? I don't want a director of football who sells a striker and doesn't replace him because the 'right' one wasn't available and tells the manager Greenwood should do.

Do you?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It really is that simple. We sacked Mourinho with no plan. That worked out fine.. they just forgot to work on the bloody plan or actually replacing him instead of giving the intermin because he beat PSG. Looking back i actually wish we lost that game.
So you sack him... who would you put in?

Melville Red

Makes no sense. The question is whether you'd sack him. Not whether you'd sack him and then walk off and leave others to make disconnected decisions subsequently. Obviously if you'd sack him you would replace him with someone you think is better.

I can't even vote on this. I personally think he's on his last legs. I'm giving him a couple of months but feel he's a goner. That's not a keep and that's not a sack. We should start looking for a replacement.
Good grief, that fence has a bloody big comfy arm chair on it!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I've never called for a manger to be sacked... although I have said they would be (Moyes). Can't really start now but I don't see us as going forward, nothing has changed since about February and I have no idea what this "plan" is and I'm pretty damn sure the players don't either. I said right at the outset that Ole wasn't experienced enough to manager United and nothing I've seen has changed my mind. But who would replace him next week, if we sacked him now (I am so sure he will stand down a some point before the summer)?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Who said anything about miracles? At the start of the season pretty much everyone agreed that this squad probably wasn't quite top 4 quality and expected us to finish between 4th and 6th. If miracles is getting this squad to play to that standard instead of playing like a relegation candidate, which we are currently doing, then god fecking help us.

Please explain to me how this same squad were the best side in the league for Ole's first two months in charge and are now one of the worst? Was the former down to the manager and the latter is down to the players? Did Ole work "miracles" when he first came in with these players to do that?
Yes but we aren't playing like relegation candidates are we? That's just toys out of the pram overreaction. We can look at the stats and they make pretty dreadful reading, but I prefer to analyse the matches I've seen this season and come to my own conclusion.

7 league games in. We've played three of our direct competitors and IMO been the better side in all of them (all 3 were at home to be fair). We've thrown away points at Wolves and Southampton. Played pretty well against Palace and lost and were awful against West Ham. Is this relegation form, or is it a young side actually playing pretty well but throwing away points through missed chances, inexperience and in some cases bad luck? I'll leave it up to you to decide, though I know you have already made your mind up.

I prefer to lean towards the positive. Not through being an Ole fanboy or a 'top red' or whatever else. Just because that's how I call it based on what I've seen and an acceptance of the situation that the club has found itself in through years of bad planning and management.

Mainoldo

So you sack him... who would you put in?
We have options...

Allegri - is a no go for me. He would improve us immensely and if we could have him for the season like a Benetiz Chelsea situation.. perfect. But that calibure of manager is not coming in for a season. He'll provide structure and a solid foundation to play direct football. He's just too pragmatic.

So like I wanted when I wanted Mourinho sacked it has to be Roberto Martinez. He's not going to leave Belguim which is great but to get us over the line he will install the football that we want to play going forward; he'll improve players ability to attack. Yes our defense will lose structure but so what, teams come to sit back at us anyway and if they want to come and take us on only Liverpool; Spurs, City and maybe Chelsea have enough quality to beat us.

Stacks

So we have gone from a team that should be winning things, to accepting a standard like Liverpool and Arsenal had to endure for years which was 'all about getting top 4' and now we are saying falling as low as 12th just to keep Ole in a job. We are Manchester United. Wtf is going on here
transition.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Yes but we aren't playing like relegation candidates are we? That's just toys out of the pram overreaction. We can look at the stats and they make pretty dreadful reading, but I prefer to analyse the matches I've seen this season and come to my own conclusion.

7 league games in. We've played three of our direct competitors and IMO been the better side in all of them (all 3 were at home to be fair). We've thrown away points at Wolves and Southampton. Played pretty well against Palace and lost and were awful against West Ham. Is this relegation form, or is it a young side actually playing pretty well but throwing away points through missed chances, inexperience and in some cases bad luck? I'll leave it up to you to decide, though I know you have already made your mind up.

I prefer to lean towards the positive. Not through being an Ole fanboy or a 'top red' or whatever else. Just because that's how I call it based on what I've seen and an acceptance of the situation that the club has found itself in through years of bad planning and management.
That's all fine, personally I lean towards the former. I genuinely can't think of a worse set of performances than our last 10-15 games under Ole post-SAF. Maybe Moyes final days were this bad? And Jose's final days were pretty poor too, though I don't think we were quite this toothless.

We can't score goals, we still concede through silly defensive errors, we don't really create anything of note and we don't look in any way coached in set pieces or whatever. I haven't seen anything to suggest that Ole is implementing any sort of style of play beyond "run more!". All we've done under him is go backwards, so far.

I also can't think of a single manager in PL history who has managed to turn things around from a set of results like this one, can you? Why people think a manager who got relegated with Cardiff and has continuously gotten worse with us can be the one to do that is beyond me.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Well, I’d be lying if I said I was confident Ole is the man to restore us to being a genuine top team (which has to be the end game for anyone in that job).

I’d also be lying if I said that I don’t have an unpleasant, sinking feeling of deja vu - that is, a feeling of watching the same bloody car crash unfolding, as it has been ever since SAF retired, in a slightly different form.

Some random thoughts:

* Ole could be out of his depth, certainly - and he could be fatally overestimating the potential of certain players: this is a worry for me. If he’s banking on players like Rashford and Martial to be regulars (important, crucial even, parts) in a title challenging first XI - well, then he’s not scared to gamble a fair bit, I’d say. And that’s without even mentioning the likes of Pereira and - dare I say it - Lingard. We have a significant number of young and youngish players who need to take several steps more before they’re even close to matching the quality on display elsewhere.

* Sack him now and replace him with who? None of the (realistic, more or less) alternatives people have suggested seem worth the bother to me.

* He’s bought well. If the next batch of signings follow the same pattern, we’ll keep strengthening both the squad and the starting XI. That’s something. How many transfers under previous Woodward era managers have actually looked very decent, consistently, for any number of games?

* Not bringing in “replacements” for players who were - on the whole - extremely underwhelming? Not bothered at all IF the manager and Woodward are on the same page with regard to a - major - rebuild. I’d rather take a series of hits this season (bumps in the road) than spend good money on short term solutions: yes, ideally, we should have brought in an experienced striker of the sort that pretty much guarantees X goals per game - and a central midfielder of some description. I have no doubt Ole would have wanted this too. But what it comes down to is expectations: not the expectations of our partly idiotic fan base, but those of Ole’s employers: if Ed’s old “4th or bust” principle applies, then Ole’s in deep shit - and all sorts of questions can be asked (of the manager and his employers alike). If, however, Ole and Woodward are on the same page - and prepared to sacrifice short term results - then we’re looking at something quite different. Not to the liking of the “no lowering of standards!” brigade, but who cares about them: do they think Ole, of all people, doesn’t realize what it takes, ultimately, for him to go down in history as a proper United manager?

* Lastly, we have a large number of obnoxious, moany and disrespectful cnuts in our fan base - and here on the Caf - who actually seem to think that their incessant whining is testament to how much they “care” about United. They aren’t above calling a United legend (and a thoroughly likeable and decent person) nasty names - whilst taking every opportunity to attack and ridicule not “top reds” (we have those too, make no mistake) but what I’d label normal fans, i.e. people who try to get behind Ole and display a bit of positivity.
Good post

DoomSlayer

* Lastly, we have a large number of obnoxious, moany and disrespectful cnuts in our fan base - and here on the Caf - who actually seem to think that their incessant whining is testament to how much they “care” about United. They aren’t above calling a United legend (and a thoroughly likeable and decent person) nasty names - whilst taking every opportunity to attack and ridicule not “top reds” (we have those too, make no mistake) but what I’d label normal fans, i.e. people who try to get behind Ole and display a bit of positivity.
Facts. This place is unbearable at the moment.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Please tell me what that means?

Toni's Left Foot

Ole should be firstly judged on his signings/integrating the youth and overhaul of the squad. Can't fault him too much there.

We still have too many average or low football IQ players and too many injuries.

He needs another couple of transfer windows. Sacking him now would be insane.

I get that fans are impatient and need their endorphin hits every weekend, but sometimes you have to appreciate the journey too.

Omahahaha

That a majority want to keep him says a lot about his legacy as a well liked ex-player.

A bit surprised about that. I think we are unlikely to improve under his stewardship and that he will be gone before new year. Surely there is a limit for how many bad performances and results we can accept?

Bestietom

Ole should be backed for January and next summer transfer windows, then see how we are doing. If we are not up there challenging by next Christmas, then change. I don't think he was backed enough in the summer. 100m is not near enough for a rebuild of this team/squad.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I don't think it would. I mean except buying 3 British players what versatility has he shown? I don't want a director of football who sells a striker and doesn't replace him because the 'right' one wasn't available and tells the manager Greenwood should do.

Do you?
I'm in favour of giving Ole the DoF job as I feel he is far better suited to that role than as manager/coach. He's sensible, diplomatic, a good judge of player ability and character and he understands the fanbase' wants and needs. I think Ole would make an excellent DoF. That's just my opinion though.

Ole's plan, I think, was to rid the club of as much deadwood as humanly possible inside one window and make squad additions in the process. It was, and still is, a sound plan when you consider that before this summer we had the highest weekly wage bill in Europe - at least in the top 3 - but the overall ability of the squad did not reflect that in any sense of the word. It was necessary.

I also think he wanted a further two players in the summer (1 more attacker and a midfielder) in addition to the three signings he got. Woodward is at fault here since he is in charge of recruitment as the self-appointed DoF of the club.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
We should sack him and make him interim manager. He was good at that.

Mainoldo

Ole should be backed for January and next summer transfer windows, then see how we are doing. If we are not up there challenging by next Christmas, then change. I don't think he was backed enough in the summer. 100m is not near enough for a rebuild of this team/squad.
When you say backed. What exactly do you expect him to get?

Mainoldo

I'm in favour of giving Ole the DoF job as I feel he is far better suited to that role than as manager/coach. He's sensible, diplomatic, a good judge of player ability and character and he understands the fanbase' wants and needs. I think Ole would make an excellent DoF. That's just my opinion though.

Ole's plan, I think, was to rid the club of as much deadwood as humanly possible inside one window and make squad additions in the process. It was, and still is, a sound plan when you consider that before this summer we had the highest weekly wage bill in Europe - at least in the top 3 - but the overall ability of the squad did not reflect that in any sense of the word. It was necessary.

I also think he wanted a further two players in the summer (1 more attacker and a midfielder) in addition to the three signings he got. Woodward is at fault here since he is in charge of recruitment as the self-appointed DoF of the club.

Okay i'm not saying i don't agree with your lost two paragraphs... and to be fair I can't actually disagree with your first one :lol:.

I think he's lack of managing ability might be clouding my view as i see 3 average signings that will only look good among quality talented additions and coaching. So as good as they may look now they will look terrible by the end of the season if quality isn't added and we don't improve them as players.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Ole should be backed for January and next summer transfer windows, then see how we are doing. If we are not up there challenging by next Christmas, then change. I don't think he was backed enough in the summer.
Why haven't better managers than Ole been afforded the same luxury? What do you see on the pitch to show that he is doing a good enough job to warrant unanimous support until next Christmas?!

Why do you think giving someone 1.5 seasons more when we're rapidly sliding down the table (will be near relegation places soon), showing relegation form & the performances are dire is a realistic way to behave?

I'm really struggling to understand here.

Status
Not open for further replies.