Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lRed

We let in 58 goals last season. The defense needed addressing. BADLY. To say otherwise is just peculiar. No one wanted to see another season with Phil Jones playing starter minutes. Instead we bought a captain in Harry Maguire who had his FIRST so-so match last night, and AWB who have transfered our right back position from a Ashley Young nightmare to a "Oh they're attacking on their left flank? We're safe then" situation.

We are MUCH better off this season in the back. Losing Herrera was not the end all be all of the midfield. Fellaini wasn't playing much anyway. We have McTominay who's taken enormous strides since last season. Fact of the matter is that our midfield has been hampered by injury problems all season. And before you say that "all teams have injuries". Yes they have. No they are not as significant as ours have been. We had 9 first team players out injured one round, a Premier League record on the season. Our singular most important player has been long term injured and won't be back until December. Angel Gomes and Chong were relied on to take first team steps, Garner is being given frequent first team minutes. We are choosing development over second best options.

Brandon Williams have come out of the woodwork during the season and shown promise that he can be a fantastic left back.

But hey, we DID TRY to address the midfield issue. Ole is not the man that gets the signings done. He gives the names. Head of Negotiations gets the deal done. He didn't land the men we needed, and here we are. The club policy is to NOT go for the 2nd best option. We go for our guy, or we don't go at all, but try again at the next junction. We know for a fact that we've had offers on midfielders rejected during the summer transfer window. So claiming that Oles purchases were bad because they are not midfielders, is just a lie. The club didn't get the business done, and that is all there is to it.

Hey, we even tried to purchase attackers. Paulo Dybala became a target to replace Lukaku. Hell we even tried to do a player swap. That didn't work out, so instead of buying a kneejerk reaction player, we looked to Mason Greenwood to develop. The kid is 17, and he's scoring already. No doubt his first EPL goal will come in short time.

I love where the team is headed. The MUFC team that's playing in the EPL, is the youngest team in the league with an avg age under 25. Literally in tune with the board and the managers statement that they are re-building the team, playing kids over aging veterans. Don't mistake playing kids over veterans as never having someone over the age of 30 in the lineup thought, starters are still picked on skill or fatigue management (Young v Williams yesterday for example. Young is suspended in the EPL so Williams gets the start, but was not subbed on last night because of McTominays injury).

But the reliance on the kids is also too much as it has proven, when there are not enough healthy veterans on the field to coddle them. So the club is actively saying that business in January is a possibility. However we should only expect placeholder pieces, or talents bought out from seller clubs. Zlatan might be an option for a half-season MUFC comeback. A great option to be fair. The big swede still got a good season left in him. Haaland is definitely a possibility, assuming Salzburg does not price him away. Sander Berge might be a midfield target. The available players entirely depends on what clubs are still in the European competitions. Tottenham need to sell Erik Christensen in January if they want to get money for him. He's a bosman player after the season. He's only 27 and has just entered his prime.

But we should all be happy about the development. So far we can be fairly sure that Mason Greenwood, Brandon Williams and Alex Tuanzebe are going to establish themselves as first team players this season. Angel Gomes is in the mix, James Garner is on the rise. Tahit Chong.. I don't know. He's on his final months of his contract and won't renew unless given a proper offer. I'm not convinced he's done enough to warrant a big senior contract.

From the current crop of MUFC regulars, Pereira, Lingard, Mata, Young are the only ones who don't do it for me, but those positions are all being replaced by academy graduates. Players like Phil Jones and Matic will most likely move on. Matic is very clearly not part of Oles plans. Jones is currently 5th choice centerback behind Maguire, Lindelöf, Tuanzebe and Rojo.

Then there are the long term injured dark horses in Dalot and Bailly that we don't really know where we have yet. I like Shaw, but his injury history is a big detriment, he seems easy to sideline for some reason.

Either way, exciting days ahead.
Thank God every member of this website is not lost. It's crazy how our fanbase is moaning every time.

- We win against bad teams : it's normal.
- We win against big teams : no need to get excited.
- We lose against bad teams : it's the end of the world.
- We lose against big teams : sack the manager.

What you guys need to keep calm and have faith ?
Get behind the team and the manager, I don't ask you to be naive and thinking we'll buy 4-5 players every transfer windows, but we clearly can see where we are heading, and I'm telling you this is (IMO) the right direction. I'm not going to repeat what has been said over and over on twitter and redcafe but there are plenty of signs we can be positive about.

Be patient, we'll get there and it's not happening in 1 or 2 seasons, OGS has been there for 11 months, van Gaal and Mourinho didn't success, it won't change anything to keep doing the same mistakes and restart the process every summers. To speak incomings into the squad, when we'll buy 2 MF's, 2 forwards (RW priority) and another striker, we will look very very better. We can already see the changes and since the injuries cooled down (our bad run), we look confident and we are going forward as a team. When we'll be clinical against sides like Newcastle, Palace, Bournemouth etc and keep the right strategies against top teams, we'll be top 4 for sure.

Have a good day all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Runaway Sue

They would have had Klopp out as well after that first season. That's why fans shouldn't make decisions. We are to emotional and usually focus on the negatives so much that we can't see the good points or the "project"; this is where good, clear headed CEOs and owners have to come in.
This isnt true at all. Maybe for you. But who are you to talk for everyone else? If you find yourself fickle and too emotional to make a logical decision, thats on you. Dont pretend you talk for everyone else. I hate when some people think their opinion is the right one and they and only they can talk about how all fans think and feel.

Mainoldo

Really? Harry will walk into every defense in the league. Can you say the same about Jones and smalling?
I don’t see what Harry Maguire has some to prove this? I mean we’ve gone worse since Smalling has left and Maguire was his replacement.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Really? Harry will walk into every defense in the league. Can you say the same about Jones and smalling?
I wouldn't say that's true and even then, it's not a glowing indictment of him as in general the defensive standards of the league are quite poor right now. Look at Spurs and Arsenal for example. Liverpool are the only team with a truly top pairing (and Maguire would not get into their team).

Maguire is probably a big upgrade on Jones or Bailly, but he wasn't a massive upgrade on Smalling, he's better, but not much better. He hasn't improved our defense to the level you would expect from an £80m player. He cost us a shit tonne of money that would've been better spent on other areas of the pitch.

midnightmare

I don’t see what Harry Maguire has some to prove this? I mean we’ve gone worse since Smalling has left and Maguire was his replacement.
I assume you don't watch the games. At least watch the table though? We conceded 54 in 38 games last season; after 11 games, we'd conceded 18 goals last season - including 3 each to Brighton, Spurs, WHU. This under the "best organizer of defences", Jose, who was also playing with a complete "park the bus" approach most of the time. Some people...

BlueHaze

He should have Tuanzebe or Smalling next to him. Instead he is being partnered with the chicken Lindelöf. Really annoying how high Ole rates him.

ash_86

We haven't gone worse at the back. You have to really really think hard to remember the last time we conceded more than a goal in a game. We have conceded 0 goals in europa league.

If you want to blame us, then blame the department thats actually not doing the job.

jackal&hyde

This isnt true at all. Maybe for you. But who are you to talk for everyone else? If you find yourself fickle and too emotional to make a logical decision, thats on you. Dont pretend you talk for everyone else. I hate when some people think their opinion is the right one and they and only they can talk about how all fans think and feel.
Give me a break. Flopp and naive was how he was decribed by the vast majority. Finished 8th. Few would have been sad to see him go at the time (from pool). I also hate it when some judge things in hindsight.

The point with both Klopp and SAF is that when you want to make massive changes to how a team plays and trains you are going to have a "down" period, especially when the squad is not exactly WC. Fans, me included, can't usually see this far, it's all game to game. Ole might fail, but to judge in november in his first year means that we learned nothing from the past. And so, my comment that as fans we are emotional and reactive rather then seeing the big picture. Is that offensive in some way?:lol:

BlueHaze

I wouldn't say that's true and even then, it's not a glowing indictment of him as in general the defensive standards of the league are quite poor right now. Look at Spurs and Arsenal for example. Liverpool are the only team with a truly top pairing (and Maguire would not get into their team).

Maguire is probably a big upgrade on Jones or Bailly, but he wasn't a massive upgrade on Smalling, he's better, but not much better. He hasn't improved our defense to the level you would expect from an £80m player. He cost us a shit tonne of money that would've been better spent on other areas of the pitch.
You are right that it would be better spent in other areas but we really needed a CB. Harry has been decent so far. Smalling should not have been sent on loan though.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
But who are they? We've clearly invested in players that are massive upgrades on what we already had, so I'm not sure how you can say Ole has bought poorly. We've got to start somewhere.
Ibrahima Konate currently at RB Leipzig would've been a much better fit in comparison to Maguire IMO. Nikola Milenkovic at Fiorentina would've been a better longterm addition too IMO and would've cost nowhere near the £80m we paid for the former Leicester player.

A fullback in the modern game must be able to link with the attack and have the natural instinct to exploit space on the flanks. AWB in that regard is comfortably inferior to his English compatriots Trent Arnold and Aarons IMO who are both younger than him. Spending £50m plus on a fullback who has attacking limitations wasn't a great idea or a good signing no matter how anyone wants to sugar coat it.

I don't think Maguire has as yet proved that he's a massive improvement over Chris Smalling. To state otherwise is a huge over exaggeration on your part. AWB being a upgrade on young and Valencia who are/were, past their best and have been for a number of seasons now, doesn't make him a good signing either.

There's literally players in droves playing for midtable clubs around Europe who could've been comfortable upgrades to our fullback options and CBs for the fraction of the £130m we spent on AWB and Maguire.

ash_86

Of course Maguire would get into livepools defense. Livepool defense has been hardly gold standard this season. Us and livepool have the same number of clean sheets this season says a lot about their defense standards.

We conceded 55+ goals last season with smalling at the back and half season of Jose two banks of four and still conceded lot of goals even against poor opposition.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Give me a break. Flopp and naive was how he was decribed by the vast majority. Finished 8th. Few would have been sad to see him go at the time (from pool). I also hate it when some judge things in hindsight.

The point with both Klopp and SAF is that when you want to make massive changes to how a team plays and trains you are going to have a "down" period, especially when the squad is not exactly WC. Fans, me included, can't usually see this far, it's all game to game. Ole might fail, but to judge in november in his first year means that we learned nothing from the past. And so, my comment that as fans we are emotional and reactive rather then seeing the big picture. Is that offensive in some way?:lol:
Didn't Klopp reach a European final in his first half season with Liverpool? Liverpool's first European final since 2007...

And then again in his first full season?

And also finished 4th in his first full season?

So yeah, that'd mean Ole's already a final placing behind him, and this season will need to finish 4th and guide Utd to a EL final before he's matched Klopp's 'low point' at Liverpool...

jackal&hyde

Forget the two cup finals if Ole finishes 4th this season very few will be complaining.

We’ll soon be able to put the Klopp comparison to bed once and for all because Ole’s results in comparison will slip further and further behind and we aren’t going to finish 4th. By end of season he may have even lost more Premier League games at Utd than Klopp has at Liverpool.
It's possible and maybe even likely. Right now however, doesn't he have more points then Klopp had in the same number of games?

BlueHaze

Ibrahima Konate currently at RB Leipzig would've been a much better fit in comparison to Maguire IMO. Nikola Milenkovic at Fiorentina would've been a better longterm addition too IMO and would've cost nowhere near the £80m we paid for the former Leicester player.

A fullback in the modern game must be able to link with the attack and have the natural instinct to exploit space on the flanks. AWB in that regard is comfortably inferior to his English compatriots Trent Arnold and Aarons IMO who are both younger than him. Spending £50m plus on a fullback who has attacking limitations wasn't a great idea or a good signing no matter how anyone wants to sugar coat it.

I don't think Maguire has as yet proved that he's a massive improvement over Chris Smalling. To state otherwise is a huge over exaggeration on your part. AWB being a upgrade on young and Valencia who are/were, past their best and have been for a number of seasons now, doesn't make him a good signing either.

There's literally players in droves playing for midtable clubs around Europe who could've been comfortable upgrades to our fullback options and CBs for the fraction of the £130m we spent on AWB and Maguire.
If Man Utd came calling for Konate or Milenkovic we'd be taken to the cleaners. They would probably demand at least £60m just because its us. But yeah those are 2 very talented young centre backs. I'd much rather have either of them next to Harry rather than Lindelöf. Preferably Milenkovic because of his top notch aerial game.

Massive Spanner

Of course Maguire would get into livepools defense. Livepool defense has been hardly gold standard this season. Us and livepool have the same number of clean sheets this season says a lot about their defense standards.

We conceded 55+ goals last season with smalling at the back and half season of Jose two banks of four and still conceded lot of goals even against poor opposition.
We were shite at the back last season but a lot of that was due to DDG (much better this season) and a lack of any real options (helped this season by AWB and Shaw earlier on), we are also an incredibly defensive team for the most part this season.

Anyway, you can only judge players on what you see and I really haven't seen anything from Maguire here nor during his time at Leicester to suggest he's anywhere close to the level of defender you'd want him to be for such more or anything more than a modest/good upgrade on our defense. I certainly don't think he's a "massive" upgrade on Smalling, but then I've always felt Smalling was underrated by Utd fans. This isn't new either, I said the exact same thing when we were linked with him.

Ultimately I just think it was a poor way to splash the majority of our budget given other areas are far more of an issue than CB.

jackal&hyde

Didn't Klopp reach a European final in his first half season with Liverpool? Liverpool's first European final since 2007...

So yeah, that'd mean Ole's already a final placing behind him, and this season will need to finish 4th and guide Utd to a EL final before he's matched Klopp's 'low point' at Liverpool...
I hope you understand that my point is not to say that Ole is as good as anyone else but that even WC managers, including SAF and Klopp need a couple of seasons of pain untill things fall in to place when the job is rebuilding of both the playing squad as well as the phylosophy and fitness.

Massive Spanner

I can't believe people are trying to compare Ole to Klopp to defend him. A new low.

Massive Spanner

I hope you understand that my point is not to say that Ole is as good as anyone else but that even WC managers, including SAF and Klopp need a couple of seasons of pain untill things fall in to place when the job is rebuilding of both the playing squad as well as the phylosophy and fitness.
And his point was that Klopp was doing far, far better with Liverpool in the same time period as Ole has been with us so your point is stupid.

jackal&hyde

And his point was that Klopp was doing far, far better with Liverpool in the same time period as Ole has been with us so your point is stupid.
He had less points in the same number of games so how was he doing much better? Did he have the best defense in chances created against? Nope, we do.

Massive Spanner

He had less points in the same number of games so how was he doing much better? Did he have the best defense in chances created against? Nope, we do.
That's bollocks though because Klopp took over in October and Ole took over in December. Ole's stats are also massively skewed by his results when he was still in the caretaker role.

In Liverpool's first 11 games in his first full season he had 26 points. Ole has 13.

Roboc7

It's possible and maybe even likely. Right now however, doesn't he have more points then Klopp had in the same number of games?
I doubt it, haven’t seen that stat for while so I assume Ole is now behind.

11 games into his first full season in charge (same point Ole is at now), Liverpool had 26 points. That’s a fair comparison and unsurprisingly given he is a much better manager it shows Klopp was doing a better job.

Liverpool went on to finish 4th, it wasn’t perfect but there was clear progress in how they were playing and in terms of performance.

jackal&hyde

That's bollocks though because Klopp took over in October and Ole took over in December. Ole's stats are also massively skewed by his results when he was still in the caretaker role.

In Liverpool's first 11 games in his first full season he had 26 points. Ole has 13.
Skewed how? He was the manager. Game for game Ole has more points. It sounda strage given what Klopp has achieved, 3 years later, but it is what it is. Rebuilding is a massive job, that is my point, even for a WC manager.

jackal&hyde

Want to hear another stat? This season we won or draw against the "top six" and we were 5 min to end pools unbeatable run (still ended their winning run). That speaks of tactical understanding. We give him some credit for this?:)

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If Man Utd came calling for Konate or Milenkovic we'd be taken to the cleaners. They would probably demand at least £60m just because its us. But yeah those are 2 very talented young centre backs. I'd much rather have either of them next to Harry rather than Lindelöf. Preferably Milenkovic because of his top notch aerial game.
Konate wouldn't have been cheap that's for sure, but he would've been a better longterm signing in comparison to Maguire IMO. And I believe he would've cost around the £50m to £60m mark. I think that fee would be reasonable for a 20 year old who is already considered amongst the best CBs in Germany and is brilliant at defending space behind him in a high-line due to his amazing pace and athleticism. He's also brilliant at defending deep due to his aerial game which is very impressive already at 20. He's the closest CB i've seen who could potentially reach Van Dijk levels.

Milenkovic was available for £45m according to Di Marzio but we opted against signing him, after enquiring about the player.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Yeah, but my point is that the far more recent and relevant of those examples - Klopp - didn't really have 'a couple of seasons of pain'...

He reached a European final in his first half season, and then finished 4th and reached another European final in his first full season!

This narrative is dangerous and has to stop.

Solskjaer is a League 1 level manager - after failing in the Championship and being sacked by Cardiff, no other Championship side ever came in for him - IN YEARS.

The situation of having someone like that take over an Elite, wealthy club like Utd is unprecedented.

It's a surreal situation that has left the fanbase confused and dizzied by the incredibly left-field nature of the appointment.

But the reality, beneath the confusion, is simple enough - it's a stupid, badly thought out appointment by a board that is inept to historic levels.

And even mentioning this manager in the same sentence as Fergie, or even Klopp, is something that needs to stop, with immediate effect.

romufc

Skewed how? He was the manager. Game for game Ole has more points. It sounda strage given what Klopp has achieved, 3 years later, but it is what it is. Rebuilding is a massive job, that is my point, even for a WC manager.
When Klopp took over he did not have
Pogba, DDG, Lukaku, Martial, Rashford etc.

Klopp had pedigree and from the first season, you could see an identitiy developing. He wanted to press high, play good football.

What is Ole's identity?

Want to hear another stat? This season we won or draw against the "top six" and we were 5 min to end pools unbeatable run (still ended their winning run). That speaks of tactical understanding. We give him some credit for this?:)
Yes, the same tactics that had Jose criticised. Defend Defend Defend.

Leicester we played terrible

Arsenal was probably one of the worst games of football for two so called big teams. a draw to Arsenal at home in their current state is nothing to be raving about

Chelsea was first game of the season where Lampard didnt know his best team.

Massive Spanner

You'd have to be blind to think Ole has been doing as good a rebuild in his time here as Klopp did in the same period.

lysglimt

Scout

Look at the amount of chances our opponents create - with a fairly mediocre midfield. Look at the number of saves DDG has to make - and tell me that our defense hasn't improved a lot.

Bestietom

I think that Lindelof is gone back since Maguire came here. They are not good together and we may need another CB if Tuanzebe don't fit in. Smalling and Maguire would be better partnership. Keep Ole for another 2 windows.

Roboc7

Where were the couple of seasons of pain?. Pep finished 4th once and Klopp 4th in first full season. They didn’t have their teams playing anything like as bad as we are. All you are really saying is a much worse manager needs much longer to do a worse job which I agree with.

el3mel

Ron Atkinson was sacked because Utd were near the bottom the league about a third of way through season. The statistics about this being our worst start to a season since 1986 are because of that start. Atkinson also finished the previous season poorly so it’s quite easy to see why he was sacked. He at least did so badly in that final season that Ole has some way to go before he is as bad.

The manager does matter, Ole got the job due to one winning run and having played for us. Appointing him was a punt which is fair enough, but you can’t get more stupid than trying to build a long term strategy around that initial punt.

All comparing Ole to other managers does is highlight how much we have handicapped ourselves by appointing such a limited manager.
Excellent point. Yes it's actually pretty weird talking about long term planning with Ole when in fact the club wasn't even planning to get him and hired him only as a caretaker, just to make it permanent after a honeymoon period. Not like this appointment was planned by the board or anything. They just found him winning and doing well so they decided ok, scrap all the talking about Dof and new manager in summer, hire him and keep everything the same.

Massive Spanner

Look at the amount of chances our opponents create - with a fairly mediocre midfield. Look at the number of saves DDG has to make - and tell me that our defense hasn't improved a lot.
I never disputed for a second that our defense has improved, but that's not just down to Maguire. He's helped, because he's an upgrade, as I already said, but it's not just because of him. There are plenty of factors involved.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think that Lindelof is gone back since Maguire came here. They are not good together and we may need another CB if Tuanzebe don't fit in. Smalling and Maguire would be better partnership. Keep Ole for another 2 windows.
Defense isn't a priority at the moment due to midfield and attack needing major surgery. But if we were to sign a CB, then someone like a Ibrahima Konate would be the ideal partner for Maguire. Konate is an absolute colossal CB in the making IMO.

Roboc7

Excellent point. Yes it's actually pretty weird talking about long term planning with Ole when in fact the club wasn't even planning to get him and hired him only as a caretaker, just to make it permanent after a honeymoon period. Not like this appointment was planned by the board or anything. They just found him winning and doing well so they decided ok, scrap all the talking about Dof and new manager in summer, hire him and keep everything the same.
A DOF and thorough recruitment process was what we were told would happen. Neither happened and it’s back to same plan of hoping a new manager solves everything.

I agree with the idea of a longer term approach but it should be with a DOF and best possible manager again we have neither.

Bestietom

Defense isn't a priority at the moment due to midfield and attack needing major surgery. But if we were to sign a CB, then someone like a Ibrahima Konate would be the ideal partner for Maguire. Konate is an absolute colossal CB in the making IMO.
I agree. I also like Milenkovic.

imamuppet

You don’t need to be a genius to see that Ole is useless here and is only in this job because he is a club legend. When he is sacked he will disappear like Moyes because no decent team will touch him.
See you have a crystal ball, please share it!

I guess we should close down the forum in that case. Ole played professionally at a high player so knows more than everyone else..:rolleyes:
Actually, you peeps should start your own forum as you obviously know more than people who work in the football industry .....

Lazy attempt at being WUM.
No WUMMing here mate, completely serious, as if any of you posting here really have a clue exactly whats going on at our club ....

Username checks out
Yeah obviously .............

BlueHaze

Konate wouldn't have been cheap that's for sure, but he would've been a better longterm signing in comparison to Maguire IMO. And I believe he would've cost around the £50m to £60m mark. I think that fee would be reasonable for a 20 year old who is already considered amongst the best CBs in Germany and is brilliant at defending space behind him in a high-line due to his amazing pace and athleticism. He's also brilliant at defending deep due to his aerial game which is very impressive already at 20. He's the closest CB i've seen who could potentially reach Van Dijk levels.

Milenkovic was available for £45m according to Di Marzio but we opted against signing him, after enquiring about the player.
I think he'll go to a big club next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.