Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Withnail

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/jan/02/ole-gunnar-olskjaer-manchester-united-arsenal

Media finally turning on Ole?

Ole was prepared for an abysmal Arsenal and Arteta has them playing like City after 3 games.

Arteta put Ole's bullshit excuses to bed last night. Thumping us with an all time poor Arsenal defence and midfield.

Good bye Ole. Thank you for the service.
Hmmm... Ever heard of new manager bounce?

Emery went on a long unbeaten run when he came in iirc and United looked unstoppable for the first 8 games or so when Ole came in, let's not forget.

Bit of a weird stick to beat Ole with all things considered.

RooneyLegend

In a world where our two biggest rivals are being coached by Pep and Klopp we have no business continuing this little experiment.

Foxbatt

If we dont make any signings in January given the current issue in midfield and he comes out smiling and says he is happy with the squad and the "right type" of players weren't available I may get serious rage!

I really hope we dont hinder ourselves by only wanting British players. Yes they have a point we dont want over priced flops however what about looking at some German or Spanish players? I was impressed by that guy from Red Bull Salzburg Liverpool have just got for a bargain at 7m why arent we doing that sort of thing? Annoyingly recently I dont recall them making any "flop" signings while its something weve become renowned for in recent years. A Liverpool fan I know is winding me up saying they are getting Sancho and Mbappe. Please no them winning the league will be bad enough!
Also you seem to get a mark up on English players in particular, despite that Grealish may be worth a look he seems to be less of a loose cannon off the field lately, though is he just being made to look better than he is because the rest of the Villa players arent great? A bit like if Mc T who I'll agree has been good for us lately, were to be surrounded by the likes of KDB would he no longer be as "desirable?"
I agree with you on this. It is really stupid to even think that Woodward decides the team and the system to play and how set pieces are taken etc. For the same reason he is not going to decide which players United should buy or sell etc. Yes, he will decide on the financial side of everything. I really do not think he would know Longstaff from Shortstaff. So it is the manager who decides which players he want and then the financial part is left to Woodward.
If our players are so bad how come the Manager does not try to buy any decent player who is better than what we have? According to the Ole in Brigade our midfield is the worst. So if so he can just buy any three midfield players and they will be better than us. Tielemans and the Turkish CB cost Leicester 64 million pounds. We could have got a quality CB and a midfield player for that instead of buying Maguire. This is all down to the Manager. Sancho is not going to come to play for a mid table side and be coached by an incompetent Manager. Just like Haarland refused to come.

fergiesarmy1

I agree with you on this. It is really stupid to even think that Woodward decides the team and the system to play and how set pieces are taken etc. For the same reason he is not going to decide which players United should buy or sell etc. Yes, he will decide on the financial side of everything. I really do not think he would know Longstaff from Shortstaff. So it is the manager who decides which players he want and then the financial part is left to Woodward.
If our players are so bad how come the Manager does not try to buy any decent player who is better than what we have? According to the Ole in Brigade our midfield is the worst. So if so he can just buy any three midfield players and they will be better than us. Tielemans and the Turkish CB cost Leicester 64 million pounds. We could have got a quality CB and a midfield player for that instead of buying Maguire. This is all down to the Manager. Sancho is not going to come to play for a mid table side and be coached by an incompetent Manager. Just like Haarland refused to come.
Haaland didn’t refuse to come because of one of his countries legends :rolleyes:

Foxbatt

Haaland didn’t refuse to come because of one of his countries legends :rolleyes:
No he wanted to go to a better club that played better football and can play in the CL. Anything to do with his manager etc is pure moonshine.

croadyman

I am starting to reach the point where if this board isn't willing to back Ole with a couple of midfielders this window then they may as well just sack him, we are just not in a position to wait until the summer for signings because this midfield injury crisis has now reached critical level with Pogba & McTominay out.

Marcus

Sack Ole once he mathematically cannot make Top 4. It's only fair that he be given the same KPI. Then get Poch in. Hopefully with what remains of the season (10 games?), he can start the process of building a style of play and fully implement it by the start of next season.

Irwin99

Sack Ole once he mathematically cannot make Top 4. It's only fair that he be given the same KPI. Then get Poch in. Hopefully with what remains of the season (10 games?), he can start the process of building a style of play and fully implement it by the start of next season.
I think top 4 or at the very least a REALLY good fight for it is the minimum. A cup win would add some credit too. I don't think he'll do it though.

I started a thread on 'midseason assessment and expectations for the rest of the season' and I hoped to get some idea of where both the 'Ole in' and 'Ole out' fans were in terms of what the bare minimum goal for the rest of the season should be, what would change their minds on Ole either way and I still haven't been able to understand what most fans actually expect from this season. It just seems we're going game to game at this point and all bets are off.

Paul_Scholes18

I think top 4 or at the very least a REALLY good fight for it is the minimum. A cup win would add some credit too. I don't think he'll do it though.

I started a thread on 'midseason assessment and expectations for the rest of the season' and I hoped to get some idea of where both the 'Ole in' and 'Ole out' fans were in terms of what the bare minimum goal for the rest of the season should be, what would change their minds on Ole either way and I still haven't been able to understand what most fans actually expect from this season. It just seems we're going game to game at this point and all bets are off.
It is hard to know at this point given how thin our squad is. I think most just want to see our football improve with coaching. See a direction above just counter attacks and defending deep against the big sides.

I would be happy if we win something though. Although the situation is not looking great at the moment.

Lebowski

The point is, Ole should never have got the job in the first place. We cannot do anything about the CEO and we cannot sack 23 players. My first advice would be to stop listening to Howson, he is an over aggressive condescending person.

Where i can blame Ole today is simple, he started Lingard (no goals or assists in over a year), it took him 60 minutes to make a sub and 80 minutes to adjust the formation, his post match talk shows no leadership or energy (players feed of this). Those are the main issues from this match and I have not even mentioned the football, how boring, slow, no press we are. Ole is out of his depth, we have an opportunity to get Poch with an open window.

The above is also the theme for the last 11 months. Nothing has changed sincr Feb.
I'm not a massive fan of any of the fan channels as I find them to be sensationalist and click-baity, but I find Howson's views pretty in keeping with the majority of match going fans and my own on a lot of issues. I can see how he's not to everyone's taste though, so if you don't like him then fair enough.

I don't really disagree with much of your analysis of the game though, clearly starting Lingard was a risk that didn't pay off and he should have been changed far earlier as he's not a player that suits chasing a game when you're a goal down.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Player who knows Ole personally didn't want to come and play for him. Or to say it politely; he decided to go elsewhere. That says something about Ole's reputation( everything else is just good excuse).
How we will sign some talented player in future when even Haaland didn't want to come? That is why we try to buy players from championship and bottom table PL clubs. Because no other player who has other options will not choose to play under Ole.

fergiesarmy1

It is hard to know at this point given how thin our squad is. I think most just want to see our football improve with coaching. See a direction above just counter attacks and defending deep against the big sides.

I would be happy if we win something though. Although the situation is not looking great at the moment.
If we get past city who are pretty dodgy themselves this season we would be big favourites to win that pal.

fergiesarmy1

Player who knows Ole personally didn't want to come and play for him. Or to say it politely; he decided to go elsewhere. That says something about Ole's reputation( everything else is just good excuse).
How we will sign some talented player in future when even Haaland didn't want to come? That is why we try to buy players from championship and bottom table PL clubs. Because no other player who has other options will not choose to play under Ole.
For the last time it was the terms!

The terms!

The terms!

Paul_Scholes18

If we get past city who are pretty dodgy themselves this season we would be big favourites to win that pal.
City have looked better after we beat them though. De Bruyne on fire with fresh strikers to pick.
They got defensive problems, but not feeling we got the energy to exploit it again. Aguero will probably find a way to score against us now when he is back.
I hope we can bloody fight for it and play well on the counter.

Foxbatt

The terms!

The terms!
What terms? It is a polite way of saying that he did not want to come unless we pay a lot more than Dortmund are going to pay? Are you seriously saying that Manchester United cannot compete financially with Borussia Dortmund? The release clause was 17 million and the added on was 15 million. He simply did not want to come to a mid table club. Why should he when he can play in the CL and has every chance of winning the Bundesliga?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
What terms? It is a polite way of saying that he did not want to come unless we pay a lot more than Dortmund are going to pay? Are you seriously saying that Manchester United cannot compete financially with Borussia Dortmund? The release clause was 17 million and the added on was 15 million. He simply did not want to come to a mid table club. Why should he when he can play in the CL and has every chance of winning the Bundesliga?
Leave it. People will make excuses for Ole all day long. Fact is though that the stats are terrible and we are in a huge mess without any end in sight until he is fired

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

The terms!

The terms!
No it was not. We can pay more than bloody Dortmund and lets not start about reputation of each club and league.
But, if terms are in question; what that says about Ole to you? Young player who knows Ole refused to play for him and one of the biggest clubs in the world because some other club offered more?

This is our future on transfer market under Ole. Nobody wants to play under him if he has a choice. But i bet that he can lure Longstaff from Newcastle.

Lebowski

The biggest fallacy in that point is Klopp, Pep and even to a certain degree Pellegrini were proven top level managers who had already proven earlier in their careers that with some top players, they can get the team to be better than the sum of the parts by getting average players to play their best every single time. So you could say they struggled a season because they didn't have the right players available.

With Ole you have nothing to fall back on. The only thing which is actually true is that he had Cardiff relegated after coming in mid-season to try to keep them afloat and then was sacked the following season from the Championship Cardiff team as they were struggling under him. So he has got nothing to prove that he is maximizing our players' abilities. From how we have struggled against teams with much worse players than ours on the contrary suggests that our players are struggling under a manager who has no business being where he is.
It's an omission not a fallacy but I understand your point.

Clearly Ole isn't experienced. But you don't have to be an experienced manager to be successful at a top club.

We tried the manager with the greatest CV in modern football and he failed spectacularly and ended up fighting with everyone at the club. Before him, we tried a man with encyclopedic knowledge of the game and experience within European football at top clubs, and he instituted an awful style of play that yielded no results and got him sacked.

Pep and Zidane both led clubs they had a strong connection with to incredible amounts of success with no prior experience. They are the exception to the norm but clearly prior experience is not essential to beingk successful at a big club. Nor is a track record enough if the rest of the ingredients are not there at the club.

Hell, there are examples that show you don't always need a good manager for success. Di Matteo won a Champions League and Deschamps was hardly pulling up trees in club football before he led France to a World Cup.

The main thing that all of the above examples had and we lack is a quality, balanced, cohesive squad and an existing developed framework for success.

Just to be clear I'm not saying that everybody should back Ole until the end of time as he is beyond reproach. He may very well turn out to be not up to the job. I'm saying that in our current state with our best player angling for a move, an awful owner, an incompetent CEO and an inexperienced, imbalanced squad lacking so much quality, whoever the manager is we're on a hiding to nowhere. I would merely suggest that these problems go far beyond Ole, and call for those who are deeply unhappy with how things are going now to focus their ire to the people who have put the club into the state it is rather than the yet another faltering manager at the helm.

If we had an experienced DOF who decided that Ole does not fit the clear long-term plan for the club, I would support his sacking and have some degree of confidence that the club will have properly scouted and identified his replacement.

However, as things stand, changing manager feels like changing the deckchairs on the titanic. Except it's even more futile, since in our case, the best deckchair is permanently broken and wants to try his luck overboard, and the person in charge of choosing the new chairs doesn't know his armchair from his elbow.

dove

Clearly Ole isn't experienced. But you don't have to be an experienced manager to be successful at a top club.
How is he not experienced? He has a 10 year managerial experience. His problem is not lack of experience, he is just not a good manager. Simple as that.

RyRy11

We tried the manager with the greatest CV in modern football and he failed spectacularly and ended up fighting with everyone at the club. Before him, we tried a man with encyclopedic knowledge of the game and experience within European football at top clubs, and he instituted an awful style of play that yielded no results and got him sacked.

Pep and Zidane both led clubs they had a strong connection with to incredible amounts of success with no prior experience. They are the exception to the norm but clearly prior experience is not essential to beingk successful at a big club. Nor is a track record enough if the rest of the ingredients are not there at the club.

Hell, there are examples that show you don't always need a good manager for success. Di Matteo won a Champions League and Deschamps was hardly pulling up trees in club football before he led France to a World Cup.

The main thing that all of the above examples had and we lack is a quality, balanced, cohesive squad and an existing developed framework for success.

Just to be clear I'm not saying that everybody should back Ole until the end of time as he is beyond reproach. He may very well turn out to be not up to the job. I'm saying that in our current state with our best player angling for a move, an awful owner, an incompetent CEO and an inexperienced, imbalanced squad lacking so much quality, whoever the manager is we're on a hiding to nowhere. I would merely suggest that these problems go far beyond Ole, and call for those who are deeply unhappy with how things are going now to focus their ire to the people who have put the club into the state it is rather than the yet another faltering manager at the helm.

If we had an experienced DOF who decided that Ole does not fit the clear long-term plan for the club, I would support his sacking and have some degree of confidence that the club will have properly scouted and identified his replacement.

However, as things stand, changing manager feels like changing the deckchairs on the titanic. Except it's even more futile, since in our case, the best deckchair is permanently broken and wants to try his luck overboard, and the person in charge of choosing the new chairs doesn't know his armchair from his elbow.
I do agree Ole hasn't been given the best chance to prove his worth. With proper backing and a bit of luck I think we'd comfortably be in the top 4, missing Pogba and other key players has ruined us. However I do wish we'd actually go for a coach that has elevated a team in the two/three years prior to the point we signed them. Moyes was stagnant at Everton, LVG's time as Netherland's coach is hard to gauge due to international football being very form based and RVP was ridiculous that summer, Mou is clearly on the decline and Ole was coaching a Molde side to second (as far as I'm aware this isn't groundbreaking). Why cant we grab a manager that's on the cusp of great things?

Lebowski

How is he not experienced? He has a 10 year managerial experience. His problem is not lack of experience, he is just not a good manager. Simple as that.
If you would call somebody whose only top level managerial experience is a 9 month spell at Cardiff City experienced, then our definitions of what constitutes an experienced manager differ.

fergiesarmy1

No it was not. We can pay more than bloody Dortmund and lets not start about reputation of each club and league.
But, if terms are in question; what that says about Ole to you? Young player who knows Ole refused to play for him and one of the biggest clubs in the world because some other club offered more?

This is our future on transfer market under Ole. Nobody wants to play under him if he has a choice. But i bet that he can lure Longstaff from Newcastle.
They wanted a percentage of his future fee, a percentage that would put Riola in charge (lovely fella, never causes any problems)

If you are happy with the way the Pogba transfer went down where Riola took £41m for himself of a £89m then you don’t care about the long term future of football.

This will be a similar deal with Dortmund and united did the right thing by saying feck off.

Lebowski

I do agree Ole hasn't been given the best chance to prove his worth. With proper backing and a bit of luck I think we'd comfortably be in the top 4, missing Pogba and other key players has ruined us. However I do wish we'd actually go for a coach that has elevated a team in the two/three years prior to the point we signed them. Moyes was stagnant at Everton, LVG's time as Netherland's coach is hard to gauge due to international football being very form based and RVP was ridiculous that summer, Mou is clearly on the decline and Ole was coaching a Molde side to second (as far as I'm aware this isn't groundbreaking). Why cant we grab a manager that's on the cusp of great things?
My best answer is that to do so, you need the knowledge, expertise and decisiveness that our club seems to sorely lack.

You need to have the planning and foresight to identify and track the right candidate for your club, and the resources, long term vision and structure to sell them your project over other clubs.

With owners who have no interest or knowledge of football, no DOF, and an accountant as our CEO, it's easy to see why our policy has been to pick wildly different types of managers at the wrong time in their lifecycle and hope that we strike gold with one of them.

We can either ask the club to sack Ole and hope our next manager has answers to every one of the club's ills (and that those answers are tolerable to Woodward and the Glazers), or accept that Ole is the latest in a long line of managers who has taken on a poisoned chalice and put pressure on the club to run itself like an elite football club in 2020 and not a piggy bank for it's absentee landlords or an ego trip for it's accountant CEO.

Last edited:

Sing you a song

Does anyone really think any clubs apart from Molde's lvl would hire OGS if he was fired now? Is there any reason why we should persist with low standards?
low standard !!!!!
We have the youngest squad in the division
The worst midfield at the club for decades
Our “best “ player only cares about himself and has missed 90 % of the season so far
He has signed 3 players who have probably settled better than any other 3 signings of the past decade
We are in the semi finals if the lge cup
We finished top of our Euro group
We are 2 place outside the champions lge places .
For gods sake get off the guys back what on earth did you think would happen when we sold Lukaku , loaned out Sanchez and let Herrera’s contract run down without replacing any of them .
Give the guy a break

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
They wanted a percentage of his future fee, a percentage that would put Riola in charge (lovely fella, never causes any problems)

If you are happy with the way the Pogba transfer went down where Riola took £41m for himself of a £89m then you don’t care about the long term future of football.

This will be a similar deal with Dortmund and united did the right thing by saying feck off.
But hugely overspending 80mil on average defender and 50 mil on raw full back was great business by Ole? It was example of great long term future for football.

Man, your excuses and faith for Ole are something special. I give you that.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
But hugely overspending 80mil on average defender and 50 mil on raw full back was great business by Ole? It was example of great long term future for football.

I'm not a great fan of Ole but if the rumours are true that Raiola wanted clauses inserted in the contract then I'm glad Haaland went to Dortmund. We have enough problems with Raiola without adding to them.

fergiesarmy1

Pretty sure Ole had nothing to do with the terms in all 3 cases you mentioned.

Do you think he negotiates add ons, percentages, bonuses and all that, or should the manager concentrate on football activities?

fergiesarmy1

low standard !!!!!
Our “best “ player only cares about himself and has missed 90 % of the season so far
He has signed 3 players who have probably settled better than any other 3 signings of the past decade
For gods sake get off the guys back what on earth did you think would happen when we sold Lukaku , loaned out Sanchez and let Herrera’s contract run down without replacing any of them .
Give the guy a break
Glad I’m not alone tonight - god speed though as I’m 10 mins away from sleep.

Karlos PFC

low standard !!!!!
Chelsea also

A coach should use with what he has until he gets his players, Look at Pep in his 1st year in charge. If he doesn't have a no10 then, don't play with a no10.

I thought that when Mou left, the toxic atmosphere was gone. Funny that most of the shit Mourinho got was about Pogba. But now Ole is defending him even though it's pretty clear he doesn't want to be around here.

Hold your horses there mate. James was a low risk transfer. If he wasn't up to it we'd be saying that we didn't expect anything from a championship player. If he's playing good then it's a masterstroke. Wan Bissaka has huge potential but you didn't have to be a certified scout to notice him last season. And last Maguire, oh my god. We got rid of Smalling(which he is nothing special) to get a much slower defender that most strikers run circles around him (at least Smalling did put some great performances occasionally against the likes of Hazzard or Kane), can't get a header and clearly hasn't improved our defence.

What an achievement for the mighty Man United

Even the destroyer of worlds D. Moyes had us 1st position in the Ch. League group.

Same when he first came. So...no improvement.

Give the guy a break
It was his job to replace them. Instead he chose to throw most of his budget on an overhyped defender that hasn't improved our defence, a huge potential RB for 50m and a left winger (like we didn't have any) that can play on the right.

Give this guy a break ? Would you give a break to this guy if his name wasn't Ole Gunnar Solskjaer?

Truth is he doesn't deserve any more time. He has been in charge for over a year and we clearly haven't got any better. The same shitshow week in week out.
Over a year. Dreadfull

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Chelsea also

A coach should use with what he has until he gets his players, Look at Pep in his 1st year in charge. If he doesn't have a no10 then, don't play with a no10.

I thought that when Mou left, the toxic atmosphere was gone. Funny that most of the shit Mourinho got was about Pogba. But now Ole is defending him even though it's pretty clear he doesn't want to be around here.

Hold your horses there mate. James was a low risk transfer. If he wasn't up to it we'd be saying that we didn't expect anything from a championship player. If he's playing good then it's a masterstroke. Wan Bissaka has huge potential but you didn't have to be a certified scout to notice him last season. And last Maguire, oh my god. We got rid of Smalling(which he is nothing special) to get a much slower defender that most strikers run circles around him (at least Smalling did put some great performances occasionally against the likes of Hazzard or Kane), can't get a header and clearly hasn't improved our defence.

Even the destroyer of worlds D. Moyes had us 1st position in the Ch. League group.

It was his job to replace them. Instead he chose to throw most of his budget on an overhyped defender that hasn't improved our defence, a huge potential RB for 50m and a left winger (like we didn't have any) that can play on the right.

Give this guy a break ? Would you give a break to this guy if his name wasn't Ole Gunnar Solskjaer?

Truth is he doesn't deserve any more time. He has been in charge for over a year and we clearly haven't got any better. The same shitshow week in week out.
Over a year. Dreadfull
Thank you. We are performing worse than when Mou was trying to get himself sacked. That's not an improvement.

Red For Ever

There are no friends at that level

Just Money, lots of it, not all of it going to the player

Sing you a song

Chelsea also

*Yes and is Lampard getting even a quarter of the flack Ole is getting ?

*With the midfield options we have he has little option than to play with a number 10

* would it improve morale an team spirit ( which mourinho destroyed ) if Ole publically slagged Pogba off ? *

Hold your horses there mate. James was a low risk transfer. If he wasn't up to it we'd be saying that we didn't expect anything from a championship player. If he's playing good then it's a masterstroke.

* (he is playing good so masterstroke it is then ) *
Wan Bissaka has huge potential but you didn't have to be a certified scout to notice him last season
. * so we are agreed Ole did a good job signing him then *
And last Maguire, oh my god. We got rid of Smalling(which he is nothing special) to get a much slower defender that most strikers run circles around him (at least Smalling did put some great performances occasionally against the likes of Hazzard or Kane), can't get a header and clearly hasn't improved our defence.
*I don’t think many would agree that Maguire isn’t a substantial on Smalling ( remember even the godlike Pep wanted him ) *
centre backs can take a notoriously long time to settle ( remember Oally and even Vidic ) and Maguire has been playing along side a brand new right back and a selection of left backs the best of which is a teenager . Maguire will come good enjoy eating your words when he does *

* would you have preferred it if we had been knocked out ?

* do you honestly think that Ole didn’t want an attacker and a CM ? Seriously?
but as the right ones weren’t available should we not look to strengthen our defence anyway ? Would you have preferred it if ole said if I don’t get an attacker I don’t want anybody ?? Even Jose had been desierate

*Rather than get another new manager and start the whole rebuild all over again dead right I would *

I know let’s get an experienced guaranteed winner oh ...... tried that ( twice ) *

Over a year. Dreadfull

only my opinion but you couldn’t be wronger mate

dove

Is it too late to write a letter to Santa? The longer he stays here the more damage he will do.

Iowred

For gods sake just sack him. I watch football to be entertained. Watching united is so fecking boring. ZERO shots on target. Shambles

Gloccamora

Very similar to Jason Garret. He could be here for 10 years and still be very poor. Can not coach and can not inspire.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think the issue for a lot of people is their emotional tie to Ole and the fact that they really want someone like him in charge. He is nice, positive, well spoken, and harkens back to an era we are all nostalgic for, but I think games like these bring us crashing down to earth.

He can’t coach a football team. There is no movement, no structure to the play, no philosophy and no zip or speed to the passing. It is football played by a squad that are doing the very basics in training to function as a football team.

He should be thanked and well thought of for expunging the ill feeling in the squad after Jose, but the rebuild needs to go to someone with clear ideas and someone who can coach.

United are sitting on Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Gomes, Lindelof, McTominey, James, AWB, Dalot, Tuanzabe, all under 25 and in need of coaching to fulfil their potential.

We are not in a position to waste so much young talent.

Let’s get Poch in and enhance what we have got. We are wasting time, we can’t waste what resources we have left too.

Reactions: Raoul
Status
Not open for further replies.