Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edgecutter

If I were Woodward, I would look at the rest of this season as though Ole is still caretaker.

He's laid the groundwork excellently for a successful season next year and possibly for a few seasons afterwards. But I don't think he's the right person to take advantage of that fully.

He has thinned out a bloated and overpaid squad
He's reduced the average age of the squad dramatically
He's coaxed great football out of Fred
He's overseen the emergence of McT as a proper class footballer with bags of potential still

He's overseen Rashford's break out season
He's brought through some very talented youngsters and integrated them into the first team very well

His squad management has been good, unfortunately his game management has been very erratic, some very unfortunate injuries, with Pogba, Rashford and McT in the team I think you'd be a good 6 points better off, but injuries happen to everyone and this season United haven't been able to cope with them. I think people will look back at Ole's tenure and see that he laid the foundations for success, but wasn't able to take advantage of that.

That's why my vote is keep until the end of the season and then replace.
Fred was never in Ole's plans, if you look at last season he got benched numerous times and could never get games to get going. The only reason we have seen Fred become a decent player is due to necessity of having no one else. Fred was bought for 50 million, he isn't a Perriera, he was always a good midfielder that needed game time. Ole didn't make him.

McT emerged under Mourinho, I doubt he would have made it if Ole was in control (just look at Garner).

Finally, his squad management has been abysmal. Rashford carrying an injury and he plays him. Pogba rushed back. Playing full strength squads in competitions to ease pressure on himself rather than focusing on our league position. Ole is very lucky that Fred, Martial, Maguire and Lindolof haven't broken down yet.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
You have already gotten detail info from posters who knows who knows Cardiff very well. You didn’t take anything on board from either. No, you just twisted it to be a spin :lol:
He still only spent 7,5 millions in that winter window mate, and was desperate for a replacement on Hudson and another striker.
I hope you have an agenda, Becouse if not...
Most managers in the lower half of the table envied the money he was allowed to spend in that winter window. £7.5m in 2014 x by 3 and you have the equivalent in today’s inflated value. As I said I don’t have an agenda against ole hence why I don’t have to lie or do mental gymnastics to make him out to be something that he’s not.

He gave it his best he’s simply not good enough. Enough time has passed for it to be obvious to people that support the club not the man.

Dr. StrangeHate

I am beginning to suspect that we have accounts that have been created by rival supporters to create a storm on this forum.
They then link that post or thread to their own club's forum and have a laugh at the replies it gets.
I refuse to believe that anybody can be so dim, so as to argue that Sheff Utd have a better squad than ours.
I haven't seen anyone argue Sheffield United has a better squad than us.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
3rd from bottom.
Ole supporters will take that as progress.
“When your 3rd from bottom and not bottom is shows you that you could always be bottom and there’s loads of places to climb so it’s a good thing to motivate the boys. Cos we’re a young squad so being top won’t build character. If we flip that table upside down we’re 3rd from top, while Liverpool are bottom ”

Alabaster Codify7

Ahhh, our very own little Pinocchio!

A wooden puppet being controlled by a Wooden CEO, whose nose grows with every press conference and every dredged up bit of footage! Lil' Pinocchio at the wheel! Tell me how good does it feel?

Alabaster Codify7

I was really hoping that the club would have pulled the trigger with the 2 week break now here.

They're doing what they usually do. Waiting to see if Ole can somehow sneak the top 4 because there's likely to be a clause in his contract the same as the others. Once it's mathematically impossible, I expect not a firing, but a public announcement that it's been mutually agreed that Ole will step down from his role in the summer and "due diligence and a warchest is in place for the replacement"

red4ever 79

They're doing what they usually do. Waiting to see if Ole can somehow sneak the top 4 because there's likely to be a clause in his contract the same as the others. Once it's mathematically impossible, I expect not a firing, but a public announcement that it's been mutually agreed that Ole will step down from his role in the summer and "due diligence and a warchest is in place for the replacement"
I think you are right. We have Chelsea away next and a defeat would see us fall 9 points off the pace. We are nowhere near consistent enough to pull that back, and then taking into account our March fixtures, it could all be over as soon as next month I feel.

1st March Everton (a)
3rd March Derby (a)
8th March City (h)
15th March Spurs (a)

jamesjimmybyrondean

:lol: Same here. They are going to twist the whole Goddamn thing. An article will probably come out about how he laid the foundation for the next manager

Last edited:

Maticmaker

Wasn't Ole's original brief to 'keep the seat warm' (i.e. a temporary contract) until the club could sort out a replacement for Jose?

Then the run of wins he had led to calls for him to be appointed full time Manager. Now with some indifferent results, as he attempts to sort the 'wheat from the chaff, they' have led to calls for his dismissal.

Who would replace him? What sane Top Flight manager would want to take over United right now, certainly not one on the way up, maybe one or two managers who are already past their self by date, would like to pick up a few million like LvG and Jose in particular, for three years, then move on to splendid retirement paid for by Manchester United fans and sponsors.

I have my doubts about some of Ole's tactic's and ideas about how we should approach games, but he has to be given a few seasons to try to improve things. We are going nowhere with short term appointments with yesterdays men and tomorrows men won't even think about coming to OT, until all the quagmire left behind has been sorted and someway forward can be at least perceived.

Lets not make the same mistakes as in the post Busby era, otherwise the footballing wilderness calls once again and it would be my Grandchildren's children who will wander therein.

USREDEVIL

Anyone reckon Pochettino's failure to be signed is evidence of a pre-arranged decision to join United? He's a top manager so something's up.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I was really hoping that the club would have pulled the trigger with the 2 week break now here.
They're hardly going to give him £50+ million for Fernandes, sanction a move for Ighalo and then sack him a week later. Those thinking he's going anywhere in the foreseeable future are mistaken. They're clearly willing to stick with him. He's certainly not going this season.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Anyone reckon Pochettino's failure to be signed is evidence of a pre-arranged decision to join United? He's a top manager so something's up.
I think the deal is done and dusted.

devilish

They're hardly going to give him £50+ million for Fernandes, sanction a move for Ighalo and then sack him a week later. Those thinking he's going anywhere in the foreseeable future are mistaken. They're clearly willing to stick with him. He's certainly not going this season.
I think Ole is still at the club because bringing Pochs in would cost us an additional 10m. So Ole will stay, United bought a player both Ole and Pochs wanted and Ole will leave next summer to make way to Pochs. That unless of course Ole makes it to the CL.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I think Ole is still at the club because bringing Pochs in would cost us an additional 10m. So Ole will stay, United bought a player both Ole and Pochs wanted and Ole will leave next summer to make way to Pochs. That unless of course Ole makes it to the CL.
I would like that to be true; i've been saying we should go for Poch for sometime, but i'm not convinced. I replied to someone else who said something similar to you, but i think that's giving the people at the top too much credit. I don't think they possess that much foresight. And as you said, if he gets into the CL then they'll definitely keep him. Which i don't necessarily agree with.

Zed 101

Until we have a director of football there is no point appointing a new manager, Ed is such a useless feck in the transfer and contracts market, the clubs commercial side may well be amazing but the actual internal structure is a mess.

Not a fan of Mou, glad he went but cannot help feeling that he would probably still be here if we had a DOF to target the correct player purchases and prevent us from signing players on to contracts like lodestones around our necks

devilish

I would like that to be true; i've been saying we should go for Poch for sometime, but i'm not convinced. I replied to someone else who said something similar to you, but i think that's giving the people at the top too much credit. I don't think they possess that much foresight. And as you said, if he gets into the CL then they'll definitely keep him. Which i don't necessarily agree with.
We've done that before ie to LVG. The guy went on lifting the FA cup only to find himself out of the door. I don't think that Ole is doomed. Things might and will probably change if either Pochs find a job or if he makes it to the CL qualification. However the fact that Pochs is still out of a job and that we only signed a player he would have loved to see at Spurs is very suspicious.

Greck

I sort of think so too. Especially if it's true he rejected Barca. Out of work managers don't refuse top jobs that easily even despite past alliances. It shows a large degree of confidence that he believes he'll have a job for next season. Whether that's us or someone else time will tell

Greck

Add an extra 10-15m for Ole's contract termination fee making a total 20 to 30m savings incentive for delaying a potential move a couple more months. If you're one of the suits upstairs it's a no-brainer to wait

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
This club has zero forward planning. They will only think about a replacement after they have sacked this man. Poch will manage elsewhere

devilish

Add an extra 10-15m for Ole's contract termination fee making a total 20 to 30m savings incentive for delaying a potential move a couple more months. If you're one of the suits upstairs it's a no-brainer to wait
Not to forget the backlash from the top reds for sacking ole without giving him the benefit of the doubt whether he can actually make it to the CL qualification. I shiver at Gaz's reaction on sky

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Wasn't Ole's original brief to 'keep the seat warm' (i.e. a temporary contract) until the club could sort out a replacement for Jose?

Then the run of wins he had led to calls for him to be appointed full time Manager. Now with some indifferent results, as he attempts to sort the 'wheat from the chaff, they' have led to calls for his dismissal.

Who would replace him? What sane Top Flight manager would want to take over United right now, certainly not one on the way up, maybe one or two managers who are already past their self by date, would like to pick up a few million like LvG and Jose in particular, for three years, then move on to splendid retirement paid for by Manchester United fans and sponsors.

I have my doubts about some of Ole's tactic's and ideas about how we should approach games, but he has to be given a few seasons to try to improve things. We are going nowhere with short term appointments with yesterdays men and tomorrows men won't even think about coming to OT, until all the quagmire left behind has been sorted and someway forward can be at least perceived.

Lets not make the same mistakes as in the post Busby era, otherwise the footballing wilderness calls once again and it would be my Grandchildren's children who will wander therein.
A few seasons? I can't think of a single club in the world that would give a manager multiple seasons just in case things happen to work out in the end. Ole isn't going to magically transform into a competent manager.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
:lol: Same here. They are going to twist the whole Goddamn thing. An article will probably come out about how he laid the foundation for the next manager
And the worst thing is that many fans will believe that nonsense...just as they are currently believing that we are "rebuilding".
As if all the other teams around are not rebuilding (ie. buying 2-3 key players a season).

sunama

Baghdad Bob
In Moyes' season, we bought Mata - a British record transfer - in January, then sacked him a few months later.

Champagne Football

:lol: Imagine inventing BS like that to excuse our inept manager... Some of you must be paid to write this crap for sure :lol:
I get it. You hate Ole. You think he's some noggie league clown who got lucky getting the job. Show the man some respect. He scored the most important goal in the clubs history. He never whinged like a bitch, like our current main star does if he ls played out of position, even though Ole was dumped sometimes 3 months on the bench at a time.
Ole is a winner. But it's very hard to beat Man City when Scott McT, James and Lindelof are the best you can produce in your first XI. Mourinho never stopped whinging - 'We don't have a player like Neymar here. Man City spend striker prices on left backs. We have no bulldogs in midfield snapping at heels. The structure of the club was not what I expected. The ambition of the club was not what I expected. Rashford was terrified out there as he is too young. Some of our players don't have the mental strength to play for Utd.'... Blah blah blah....... Under Fergie we were a Tier 1 team for 20 years. Ole inherited a team that was tier 3 and heading for tier 4, like AC Milan, Liverpool for 20 years until Klopp arrived or Newcastle Utd. Ole has absolutely stopped the rot. He's like our Dalglish, not good enough, but the bloke who set the foundations for a Rodgers or a Klopp to take all the credit, after leaving a failed long term project behind

lRed

I wonder what this man did to your personal life, what on the earth could justifies that much hate.
I've never saw that much mean people having a go at someone like this.

This place went toxic and I don't think I'm alone thinking that, I don't feel like checking the forum on a daily basis like in the past.

Roboc7

It’s inevitable they have spoken/are speaking to him, would have to be extremely naive to think otherwise. If he wants the job I have no doubt he will get it in the summer. Whether Poch would take the job is very debatable and given the compensation Spurs would be due it’s probably likely no one will employ him before the summer.

Ole is here until the end of the season whatever happens, he could pick up 2-3 points from next 5 games and he’d still be safe.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It’s inevitable they have spoken/are speaking to him, would have to be extremely naive to think otherwise. If he wants the job I have no doubt he will get it in the summer. Whether Poch would take the job is very debatable and given the compensation Spurs would be due it’s probably likely no one will employ him before the summer.

Ole is here until the end of the season whatever happens, he could pick up 2-3 points from next 5 games and he’d still be safe.
Why are Spurs due compensation?

mav_9me

I get it. You hate Ole. You think he's some noggie league clown who got lucky getting the job. Show the man some respect. He scored the most important goal in the clubs history. He never whinged like a bitch, like our current main star does if he ls played out of position, even though Ole was dumped sometimes 3 months on the bench at a time.
Ole is a winner. But it's very hard to beat Man City when Scott McT, James and Lindelof are the best you can produce in your first XI. Mourinho never stopped whinging - 'We don't have a player like Neymar here. Man City spend striker prices on left backs. We have no bulldogs in midfield snapping at heels. The structure of the club was not what I expected. The ambition of the club was not what I expected. Rashford was terrified out there as he is too young. Some of our players don't have the mental strength to play for Utd.'... Blah blah blah....... Under Fergie we were a Tier 1 team for 20 years. Ole inherited a team that was tier 3 and heading for tier 4, like AC Milan, Liverpool for 20 years until Klopp arrived or Newcastle Utd. Ole has absolutely stopped the rot. He's like our Dalglish, not good enough, but the bloke who set the foundations for a Rodgers or a Klopp to take all the credit, after leaving a failed long term project behind
At least you acknowledge that.

Your previous post bigging up Sheffield Utd while saying at United he inherited a pile of shite is stretching it. With time he has not shown any major improvements to our play in general. So it is clear he is not good enough. However he does as a manager, that wont change his legend status for us IMO.

Champagne Football

I wonder what this man did to your personal life, what on the earth could justifies that much hate.
I've never saw that much mean people having a go at someone like this.

This place went toxic and I don't think I'm alone thinking that, I don't feel like checking the forum on a daily basis like in the past.
Let's rate our signings out of 10 for managers since Fergie -
Dithering Dave -
Fellaini - 4
Mata - 4
Van Dickhead -
Memphis - 3
Di Maria - 3 (although under Fsrgie he'd get 10)
Falcao - 1
Blind - 2
Schneider twins - 0
Martial - 3
Moaninho checkbook small balls-
Bailey - 1
Lindelof - 3
Pogba - 0
Lukaku - 4
Matic - 1
Mkhitaryan - 0
Alexis - 0
Ole
Maguire - 7
Wan-Bissake - 7
James - 3
Greenwood, Williams, = 7 bonus points

And the winner is........

Champagne Football

At least you acknowledge that.

Your previous post bigging up Sheffield Utd while saying at United he inherited a pile of shite is stretching it. With time he has not shown any major improvements to our play in general. So it is clear he is not good enough. However he does as a manager, that wont change his legend status for us IMO.
There was the famous 'Ta Ra Fergie' banner in 1985, a year before we realized we had the best manager in history. Ole will never be that, but clearly Mike Phelan and Fergie are making the big decisions right now and not Ole. Only a clown would deny that.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

We are definitely headed somewhere with Ole. Just look at the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.