Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma_87

You know who
So? Still he had no manager experience and still got job. Therefore, people talking about "what has Solskjaer done before" should look at those examples and see that you don't need to have CV full of titles to make something at a big club.

I'm not discrediting Pochettino. I like him. And he is good manager. But people are making it like he is some kind of manager demon. At least we should wait until he has won something. Anything.
When will people understand the difference in Zidane, Pep and Solskjaer?

Ole wasn't some unknown manager that got success straight away.

He was around 10 years prior to his appointment.

He failed with Cardiff - Pep, Zidane didn't.

He wasn't able to replicate his success even with Molde that tin pot league for long long time.

And people like you are praising Ole to no end on the back of winning nothing and failing at the two biggest jobs so far in his career - Cardiff and United.

Toni Roncoroni

I think the argument ''Poch hasnt won anything!'' is such a ridiculous easy argument.

While it is true that he hasnt won anything, getting to the CL final and challenging for the title with a Spurs team he build up over the years is, in my opinion, more impressive than winning a title. Put Poch in charge of PSG, Juventus, Bayern or Manchester City and he will win things and the whole argument of not winning titles is gone. He isnt any worse than any of those managers but he didnt have the luck to be hired by one of those teams (yet). Sarri never won anything before he won the FA cup with Chelsea. Was he the moment he won that cup a better manager? I doubt it. Would Juventus not have hired him if he lost that game?

Winning a title doesnt somehow make you a better manager, i think 'the journey' is more important to show your qualities as a manager than to win the very last game. Especially in a sport like football where the best doesnt always win the game. Ofcourse you want to win a title in the end but if you keep getting to the final you will most likely eventually win one. Klopp for example lost multiple CL finals, it didnt make him a worse manage and now he is CL winning manager.
Great post!

Greck

In his first season at Southampton Pochs lead them to 8th place which was the highest league position for them since 2002-2003. He did so with the highest points tally since 1992-1993. I have my share of concerns about him as well. His narrow systems will piss off many fans at United + he doesn't seem keen to work with DOFs. However he's a far better manager then Ole is.
So where did @midnightmare get his info about Southampton from?

Greck

So? Still he had no manager experience and still got job. Therefore, people talking about "what has Solskjaer done before" should look at those examples and see that you don't need to have CV full of titles to make something at a big club.

I'm not discrediting Pochettino. I like him. And he is good manager. But people are making it like he is some kind of manager demon. At least we should wait until he has won something. Anything.

Relevant, because of discussion "what has Solskjaer done". Before ManUtd.

He overachived with Southampton. He did absolutly nothing in Espanyol and left them in relegation. With Tottenham, he did improve them, but that improvement was not that big looking at Tottenham before him. So overachiving is a strong word. I would say slightly improved.

Put anyone, including me and you in PSG or Bayern and they would win. Those leagues are finished before they even starts.

I agree that winning doen't neccessery makes you better coach. You can be great coach in low teams. And you can be bad coach in great teams. There is element of luck where destiny takes you. But in football, titles count.
But Poch has better achievements than Ole if you try to go that route. You can't really say winning the Norwegian league somehow makes Ole more qualified. The winner of my local church league doesn't become qualified to manage us because he won something obscure. Poch's lack of trophies shouldn't be mentioned when the point of comparison is a manager that has done less. That's a double standard

Alabaster Codify7

But Poch has better achievements than Ole if you try to go that route. You can't really say winning the Norwegian league somehow makes Ole more qualified. The winner of my local church league doesn't become qualified to manage us because he won something obscure. Poch's lack of trophies shouldn't be mentioned when the point of comparison is a manager that has done less. That's a double standard
Yeah, it's incredibly weird logic - imagine trying to apply the same train of thought to players.

Striker X won the golden boot in the Israeli league two seasons running and fired his team to the Israeli title during one of those seasons. He then joined a small club in the Spanish La Liga, scored twice and got relegated before going back to Israel.

Striker Y has never won the golden boot in the Premier League, but has scored upwards of 15 goals for four successive seasons and his team have finished in the top 4 every year during that time.

Which striker would you consider the better? There is absolutely no competition.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Throughout the past 30 years or so I was against just 1 manager from day 1. That guy was Moyes. LvG, Mou and Ole weren't my no 1 choice and I wrote many times about the dangers of a former player managing a sentimental club like ours but that was it. Despite his lack of experience I actually welcoming the guy back and the reason is simple. He loves United far too much to let ego get in his way. Therefore from day 1 he would demand to surround himself with experience from DOF level to coaching etc.

Turned out that I was incredibly wrong on that one. That Ole has given the job to the boys, naive mistakes were done in summer and during the year and we are riding over luck.
I've asked you before in this, or one of the numerous other Ole threads who are these experienced coaches you think he could bring in? In a few weeks Ole is 47, not some rookie starting out, and any relatively experienced coach making waves in the football world would obvious be wanting to try his hand at Management and not go to Old Trafford just be one of the coaches despite the appeal of Manchester United. Carlos Queiroz was a one off, SAF definitely lucked out there.

Class of 63

Sourness
In the summer, we will. Don't worry about that. There's too much smoke, the club have made their decision - unfortunately, it'll be done too late and we'll squander this season in the process. Some fans will have to rethink about supporting the club for putting a United legend to the sword.
Wouldn't that be the 20.4% who plumped for giving Ole till the end of the season then replace him?

Class of 63

Sourness
I would actually prefer Tuchel and Nagelsmann simply due to their style of football being more exciting. If we can get them that is better.
But currently we need someone that can make our team atleast a consistent top 4 team and has a style which is still applicable in modern football. I have no stomach for watching defence first counterattacking football.
We need to be successful first, and if we can achieve that by basically being a counter-attacking team so what, Leicester City won the League on the strength of it, you could argue SAF turned United from nearly-men to winners by using Kanchelskis and Giggs who were destructive on the counter, George Graham's Arsenal another team, the list is endless and probably the best of the lot were Brian Clough's Forest who could send you to sleep but they were masters at it, it was like watching somebody 2 steps ahead at chess, there's an art to it, might not be everybodies cup of tea, but if it gets us up and running and we then build on it where's the harm?

James Ward

Are people actually comparing Ole to Zidane? :houllier:

Zidane had Madrid playing great football as soon as he arrived!

Ole spent 150 million in the Summer and the team is worse than last season. There is only one manager in the World that could do that and its Ole.

He plays the same formation and tactics every single match. It was grand for the first six seven games he was in charge last season but every other manager in the league realized that Ole doesn't change his formation or tactics, hence why we dropped so many points this season and are now in ninth :houllier:.

He is so far out of his depth its actually quite scary. He is clueless.

I can honestly see us finishing either 9th 10th 11th or 12th this season but the fan boys will still stick up for Ole.

Its time to get Poch in now and not wait for the Summer.

We need to be successful first, and if we can achieve that by basically being a counter-attacking team so what, Leicester City won the League on the strength of it, you could argue SAF turned United from nearly-men to winners by using Kanchelskis and Giggs who were destructive on the counter, George Graham's Arsenal another team, the list is endless and probably the best of the lot were Brian Clough's Forest who could send you to sleep but they were masters at it, it was like watching somebody 2 steps ahead at chess, there's an art to it, might not be everybodies cup of tea, but if it gets us up and running and we then build on it where's the harm?
Why are we currently trying to play counter attacking football when we can't pull it off against any team that sits back because Ole is clueless and plays the same formation every match? It doesn't suit our current players yet he insists on it. You would think that he would try some different tactics but he doesn't have a clue how because he is a pathetic manager. Basically every team in the league has us figured out and its only going to go down hill from here. We are ninth in the league. He is a disgrace of a manager in all honesty.

Last edited:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
There is every chance we'll be playing CL football next season after the City debacle, especially with Pogba, Mctominay and Rashford set to return shortly, along with Bruno and Ighalo reinforcing the squad.

Ole may very well have brought himself another season in charge.

James Ward

There is every chance we'll be playing CL football next season after the City debacle, especially with Pogba, Mctominay and Rashford set to return shortly, along with Bruno and Ighalo reinforcing the squad.

I like to optimistic but with Ole in charge we will not get champions league football especially with the fixtures coming up.

Our season could be over Monday. If we sack him now I think we would get Champions league football.

Class of 63

Sourness
Not as massive gamble as give the job to someone like Ole with virtually no experience in Premier league and only having coached in some third rate league. Poch has managed in pl for several years and done well and out squad quality is quite similar to Spurs. And the previous managers you mentioned have done much better and won trophies with us. Utd are now like bad case of inbreeding with all these people formerly worked at the club causing disabilities. We need fresh ideas, and Poch is as safe a bet as we can get.
Thanks for that image.

If the job was available and Poch and Ole were the candidates, nobody, probably not even Ole's family would go for Ole to get the job based on their Managerial CV's, that's not open to debate but that isn't the situation.

I know most like to think of the owners/CEO as incompetents but i'd hazard a guess that it was not only the winning run that got Ole the Gig full-time just as much it would have been his plans/vision of the club in the future, why bin that off just we're having a foreseen wobble just because the flavour of the month is available?

Fresh and new doesn't guarantee anything, if it did Managers would be on monthly contracts.

Class of 63

Sourness
I agree with your points about winning things but I think the main attraction is that he's clearly 100x better than our current manager. Reaching the CL final and consistently finishing in the top 3-4 of the league is a good indicator of that. Ole could only have wet dreams about such 'accolades'.
100x better? I've told you 1,000,000 times don't exaggerate ;)

90 + 5min

I'm sorry but people were saying the same thing about us. That we were too big too fail. Yet LVG and José failed to to consistently deliver the bare minmim which was top 4 despite spending massively in transfers and wages. In general Poch outperformed them in the league with a netspend of 15 mil pr season.

I'm not saying that Poch is the man to knock Klopp or Pep of their perches, but the general consensus is that we don't old defensive managers who are past it, but want young managers in the prime years with a record of overachieving and playing good football. Managers like Poch and Nagelsmann fit in that box.
Pochettino outperformed them if you look at money spent (Mourinho and Gaal were better then him in a season each) but on other hand Pochettino was worse (not meaning that he is worse manager, just performence) then Solskjaer this year prior his sacking. He made Tottenham a mid-team despite having better squad then us. Football is wierd, isn't it?

When will people understand the difference in Zidane, Pep and Solskjaer?

Ole wasn't some unknown manager that got success straight away.

He was around 10 years prior to his appointment.

He failed with Cardiff - Pep, Zidane didn't.

He wasn't able to replicate his success even with Molde that tin pot league for long long time.

And people like you are praising Ole to no end on the back of winning nothing and failing at the two biggest jobs so far in his career - Cardiff and United.
I'm defending him. Not praising. There is a difference. He hasn't failed at ManUtd. He is buildning something and we will see if board is happy to give him more time. I would.

I don't really know where people get this that I've said that Solskjaer is better? I never said that. Neither have I said that Pochettino is better. I'm defending Solskjaer from lot of unfair criticism. I can without problem say that he has made misstakes (from what I see) but every manager makes misstakes. But I can also see things that have been done in very good way.

Dr. StrangeHate

I am not looking for short term success. I want the club to take the long term view this time. Modern football has moved on from that style of football as you can see with what the elite clubs are trying to do. We need to lay the ground work for a modern style this time and Poch is a step in that direction even though not my first choice.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I'm defending him. Not praising. There is a difference. He hasn't failed at ManUtd. He is buildning something and we will see if board is happy to give him more time. I would
Would you still want to keep him on if he finishes outside the top five?

Class of 63

Sourness
The day of last years CL final if Poch was offered to us as manager would you have taken him? I think 80% of the forum would. Yes it broke down for him in the end but that doesn't mean he all of a sudden became a bad manager. Working with Levy it was bound to break down, especially with the new stadium being built with not a lot of transfer funds and their players getting paid a lot less than at other clubs. It just reached the point of no return.

I've been following Poch since his Espanyol days and he punched well above his weight there even though he got sacked in the end. Once again it was similar circumstances to Spurs where Espanyol were building a new stadium, selling their best players and bringing in cheaper options. People will say why would we want a manager who's been sacked twice? That's a fair question but they need to understand it wasn't because he is a bad manager and I think he's proved that he is capable of taking over a team and elevating them to the next level. One thing we haven't tried since SAF retired is hiring a young, progressive thinking modern manager and Poch falls nicely into this category.

But a word of advice to him. Don't go to a job where they're thinking of building a new stadium :nono:
It'll put him in good stead for working with Ed Woodward then if he gets the job.

hobbers

To be fair even if that happened he wouldn't have bought himself anything.

I can't see us finishing ahead of Spurs or Chelsea anyway. Sheffield and Wolves will probably still pip us, even with top five to fight for and theoretically rejuvenate the squad's motivation.

Greck

Pochettino outperformed them if you look at money spent (Mourinho and Gaal were better then him in a season each) but on other hand Pochettino was worse then Solskjaer this year prior his sacking. He made Tottenham a mid-team despite having better squad then us. Football is wierd, isn't it?

I'm defending him. Not praising. There is a difference. He hasn't failed at ManUtd. He is buildning something and we will see if board is happy to give him more time. I would.

I don't really know where people get this that I've said that Solskjaer is better? I never said that. Neither have I said that Pochettino is better. I'm defending Solskjaer from lot of unfair criticism. I can without problem say that he has made misstakes (from what I see) but every manager makes misstakes. But I can also see things that have been done in very good way.
Thing is some of the criteria you use to criticise Poch's suitability for the role favours Ole even less. You also can't go from giving Poch the benefit of the doubt on nothing to giving Ole the benefit of the doubt on everything

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I've asked you before in this, or one of the numerous other Ole threads who are these experienced coaches you think he could bring in? In a few weeks Ole is 47, not some rookie starting out, and any relatively experienced coach making waves in the football world would obvious be wanting to try his hand at Management and not go to Old Trafford just be one of the coaches despite the appeal of Manchester United. Carlos Queiroz was a one off, SAF definitely lucked out there.
There's plenty of coaches who can bring new ideas to the club or can provide a wealth of experience to those who need. Sir Alex used to be on the look out for them. In fact he brought people like Mclaren, Rene, Queroz, Walter Smith and Mclaren. Unfortunately Ole seem to want his own men, which unfortunately most of them are as inexperienced as he is. That's strange because someone as inexperienced as him would need such experience.

Also age is just a number really. Ole managed at amateur level, then he moved to Cardiff were he suffered an embarassing campaign, then he returned to amateur level were this time round he won nothing there and now he's with us, leading us through our worse start since 1989.

90 + 5min

Would you still want to keep him on if he finishes outside the top five?
Absolutly. It doesn't matter who manager is. If club has decided to go this way and not buying stars for instant success than I'm all for that he or whoever would be given time. If it is not clear that he is destorying the club. I say, give Solskajer one more year (or at least until december) with couple of signings and I would be harder to judge. Then you can say he has got time and we can see if club is going forward or not.
Thing is some of the criteria you use to criticise Poch's suitability for the role favours Ole even less. You also can't go from giving Poch the benefit of the doubt on nothing to giving Ole the benefit of the doubt on everything
That is just because I'm tired of unfair criticism of Solskjaer. He should get criticism, but it has to be right one. He is now getting it in every form and even for things that are out of his hands.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
To be fair even if that happened he wouldn't have bought himself anything.

I can't see us finishing ahead of Spurs or Chelsea anyway. Sheffield and Wolves will probably still pip us, even with top five to fight for and theoretically rejuvenate the squad's motivation.
Yeah, it's impossible to say one way or the other as there isn't a great deal between United, Chelsea, Spurs, Wolves or Sheffield.

He'll be out the door if fails to secure CL football next season, that's for sure.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Ole is getting better stats out of Rashers though...and his signings look a marked improvement over Mous....we’ve had injury and injury and all I want is for Ole to have our best team out again this season to see how it performs.
I keep seeing this argument about and I suppose it makes sense to some degree. But I think, if there's a time to judge him as a manager, it's when the chips are down, not with a fully fit squad and against preferred opposition. We know it works sometimes in those circumstances, that's all well and good but not very helpful at the moment. It's when the seas are rough that you get a chance to see how sturdy the vessel is. To continue the analogy, he cut so much 'deadwood' off the boat at the start of the season, it seems when the storms hit we're not quite as sturdy as he anticipated at all. In fact, we're basically now sinking. You just can't ignore the fact that this thin squad is basically on his head. That was his choice. He's responsible for the whole season, not just when he has his preferred XI and playing against preferred opposition. Now is absolutely the time to judge him in terms of 'ok so you sold Lukaku and didnt bother replacing at all, did you not consider that this would bite you in the ass like it has so obviously gone and done now?'

Class of 63

Sourness
Ok

Class of 63, you clearly have a defiant attitude problem with defending Ole and nobody defending Ole can provide facts or statistical evidence as to why he's the messiah, so...

Perhaps you should look in the Solskjaer threads, they are everywhere, but then again you're obviously used to having your head buried in the sand whilst making yourself sound superior to everyone else with little reason.
You're the comedian suggesting that some of of us obviously deluded fans who are prepared to give Ole time claim him to be the Messiah, and he should be given 5 years, and i've got a defiant attitude problem, you really couldn't make it up :lol:

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
I also think Ole gets far too much credit when we have had good displays. I give him credit for building up the confidence of players, I think he's obviously pretty good at that. But in terms of the tactics of counterattacking against deep playing sides. Doesn't really take a genius to work out the tactic of kick the ball into acres of green space for our supremely gifted, lightning quick attacking players like Rashford - in the form of his life - and Martial to run onto and score a goal. Hence why we've scored about 19% of our league goals against Norwich, or something mental like that. The only team who play a high line and are also inept at defending. I mean it's probably the most obvious tactic in football after the hoof from the back. You're gonna see this tactic in every u14s Sunday league match or in every school playground.

You can't deny it's an absolutely inane tactic to try and go and seriously compete in the premier league with. Maybe if you're trying to avoid relegation like Palace, but Jesus surely we got to aim higher than that.

fps

He's not even had one full-season, so not even close to being enough time, and van Gaal shouldn't have gone. Everything was in place for him to kick-on.

In an ideal world Mourinho would have gone before he came!

And if we lose a generation of fans it's their loss, they'll soon come running back when we're successful again.
Good lord, the idea that Van Gaal was about to kick on... I have no idea what to do with that, his signings all failed and the club was going nowhere.

Only way he didn’t get fired is if the Glazers actually went to a match, thus falling into a sleep coma.

Class of 63

Sourness
So the Ole-fanboys want us to be patient and give him as much time as he wants.
On the other side they are judging Poch for his last few months when before he transformed Tottenham? If you guys would look at Ole the same he would be long gone.
No way compring Ole to Poch. They are miles apart as coach or manager.
Who is suggesting that? Name one poster, just one

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
At least the other managers post SAF have genuinely had a plan. Jose tried to revert to type with his complete containment of the opposition. LVG was trying to get something going even if meant boring us all to tears with endless sideways passing. Hell I'd take Moyes and his dire gradual trudge 'to the byline' at this point.

Bet Moyes wouldn't have fecking sold Lukaku :lol:

Class of 63

Sourness
Are people actually comparing Ole to Zidane? :houllier:

Zidane had Madrid playing great football as soon as he arrived!

Ole spent 150 million in the Summer and the team is worse than last season. There is only one manager in the World that could do that and its Ole.

He plays the same formation and tactics every single match. It was grand for the first six seven games he was in charge last season but every other manager in the league realized that Ole doesn't change his formation or tactics, hence why we dropped so many points this season and are now in ninth :houllier:.

He is so far out of his depth its actually quite scary. He is clueless.

I can honestly see us finishing either 9th 10th 11th or 12th this season but the fan boys will still stick up for Ole.

Its time to get Poch in now and not wait for the Summer.

Why are we currently trying to play counter attacking football when we can't pull it off against any team that sits back because Ole is clueless and plays the same formation every match? It doesn't suit our current players yet he insists on it. You would think that he would try some different tactics but he doesn't have a clue how because he is a pathetic manager. Basically every team in the league has us figured out and its only going to go down hill from here. We are ninth in the league. He is a disgrace of a manager in all honesty.
We've historically struggled against sides that sit deep and don't allow space in behind, even in SAF's glory years, how many times did we score late winners/equalisers against teams who on paper we should have destroyed. Ole has obviously taken the decision with the players currently in the squad to go down that route, when he gets better players and the team is playing with more confidence he'll introduce a more expansive game, or that will be the plan.

Oh yeah that clueless/pathetic Manager has been to City(you know the one that had won 7/8 trophies available in England over the last few years) with an apparently shite squad(ask the forum) twice this season, won and deserved to win both times, guess he just got lucky twice.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Absolutly. It doesn't matter who manager is. If club has decided to go this way and not buying stars for instant success than I'm all for that he or whoever would be given time. If it is not clear that he is destorying the club. I say, give Solskajer one more year (or at least until december) with couple of signings and I would be harder to judge. Then you can say he has got time and we can see if club is going forward or not.

That is just because I'm tired of unfair criticism of Solskjaer. He should get criticism, but it has to be right one. He is now getting it in every form and even for things that are out of his hands.
Ole has had a year in charge and spent in the region of £200 million upgrading the squad - considerably more than fellow CL hopefuls Arsenal, Spurs, Wolves, Chelsea and Sheffield - yet we find ourselves in a similar position to when he took over. In addition to the money spent in the transfer market, Ole has some of the best training facilities in world football at his disposal. Why, then, have the players shown no improvement in terms of attacking play and team cohesion? Half the problem with our team is we look like a bunch of individuals darting about the pitch rather than a solidified unit united in a common goal, which to me speaks only of a coaching issue.

I get where you're coming from with the unfair criticism, I find it frustrating myself, but that's to be expected from frustrated fans who have seen this all before. Moyes received similarly poor treatment as he approached the end of his reign, as did LVG and Jose following him. Welcome to the media-led era of modern-day football.

Last edited:

AaronRedDevil

Ole really has much of a chance as possible right now for top 4. Had 15 attempts to catch and overtake chelsea, so it's just never ever going to happen. But now that city is out of the picture. It's now or never time for ole to prove his worth. Because it would be a joke if he still can't get top 4 after the city problem. It's like hes been handed every opportunity possible and fecks up every time.

Class of 63

Sourness
I am not looking for short term success. I want the club to take the long term view this time. Modern football has moved on from that style of football as you can see with what the elite clubs are trying to do. We need to lay the ground work for a modern style this time and Poch is a step in that direction even though not my first choice.
They are, with Ole, even if we miss out on T4/5(Hi City!) and end the season trophy-less Ole will probably keep his job, if that is the right or wrong decision only time will tell.

Greck

We've historically struggled against sides that sit deep and don't allow space in behind, even in SAF's glory years, how many times did we score late winners/equalisers against teams who on paper we should have destroyed. Ole has obviously taken the decision with the players currently in the squad to go down that route, when he gets better players and the team is playing with more confidence he'll introduce a more expansive game, or that will be the plan.

Oh yeah that clueless/pathetic Manager has been to City(you know the one that had won 7/8 trophies available in England over the last few years) with an apparently shite squad(ask the forum) twice this season, won and deserved to win both times, guess he just got lucky twice.
Wow this is so untrue it's criminal. The last 15 years or so under SAF every team we played at OT sat deep and we had no problems dispatching routine beatdowns. Breaking down deep teams was never an issue and it's ridiculous you're trying to extend this fault to Fergie. This kind of false equivalence between element's of SAF and Klopp's tenures does Ole no favours

Status
Not open for further replies.