Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Total voters

TRUERED89

1. Due to injuries and lack of signings, we need to have someone playing as RW. I don't see anyone in our squad who's a natural RW.

2. Against Liverpool he took two corners. No chance created. Against Newcastle, he had 6 corners, 3 of them were good and created a chance for us. Against Arsenal he took 8 corners, 4 long, two hit Maguire. Not too bad IMO. You see what you want to see.

3. If this is based on the Liverpool game, I don't agree at all. Solskjaer got on the better side of that tactical battle against Klopp. Based on what we had on the bench and who played, there's not much I'd like to see him do differently.

4. Sending Smalling on loan was weird, but if he knew he'd settle for Lindelöf and Maguire as the first choice, I don't mind having Tuanzebe as the first backup. Lukaku made himself persona non-grata with his tweets and interviews. Sanchez on loan doesn't matter. He's never contributed. I'd be happy if we just cancel his contract. Mata might not have the legs anymore, but as far as I've read, his contribution to the wardrobe is still good. Mata has never been the player in United that he once was for Chelsea, but we can't throw out 10 players at once. As for a replacement for Herrera and Fellaini, I think we all miss that. Even Ole.

5. I don't believe Ole does individual coaching. Players that have improved after Ole took over: Lindelöf, Shaw, Young (!), McT, Pogba, Martial, and Rashford. Mourinho pretty much was in the clinch with the entire squad, except for Matic.

6. What can you do when you got 10 players injured, and your squad is thin? Tuanzebe did good. I think Williams had a decent few minutes against Liverpool. I struggle to see what Chong got to offer.

If you'd said that we haven't improved since Ole took over, I'd agree with you. We haven't. We're worse now that we were at the same time last season. I've not seen us play as bad as we did against Newcastle in PL ever. I don't believe Ole is the best manager in the world, but right now I don't see anyone better for us available. If Poch gets available, must act fast, and throw money on all signings he wants...
SAF lost 5-0 and 3-0 to Newcastle in his time so wouldn't say it was the worst PL performance ever!

SirAF

Ageist
What about a manager who NEVER managed a team before managing Manchester United?
Sir Matt
or...

What about a manager who only managed East Sterlingshire, St Mirren and Aberdeen?
Sir Alex
I see others have already replied to this, but I just have to emphasise what a poor argument it is. Ferguson had proven himself big time both in Scotland and in Europe by the time he went to United.

Sir Matt was almost a 100 years ago, different times.

Enigma_87

You know who
What about a manager who NEVER managed a team before managing Manchester United?
Sir Matt
or...

What about a manager who only managed East Sterlingshire, St Mirren and Aberdeen?
Sir Alex
Both examples happened more than 50 years ago.

Neither of them managed 10 years in Norway with no top club even remotely interested in them.

Eric7C

Sir Matt
or...

Sir Alex
Great idea. Let's hope Ole is as good as two of the greatest managers ever/of their generation.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Great idea. Let's hope Ole is as good as two of the greatest managers ever/of their generation.
The obvious counter argument is let's hope repeatedly sacking managers and replacing them will solve the problem. It's worked well so far...

Enigma_87

You know who
The obvious counter argument is let's hope repeatedly sacking managers and replacing them will solve the problem. It's worked well so far...
There is higher probability of that happening compared to coming good twice in 85 years.

dove

Sir Matt
or...

Sir Alex
:lol: Now these kind of comments are always a good laugh.

TRUERED89

Sir Matt
or...

Sir Alex
If we're too relaxed about this, we'll become the next Liverpool waiting for 30+ years to get title #21. We're already the new Arsenal fighting for the top 4 trophy every season :lol:

Eric7C

Big clubs repeatedly sack managers till they find the right one.

Edit: I am all for giving managers time if they show progress in a technical style of play. Ole hasn't and quite clearly won't.

Bestietom

Er, we didn't. Two shots on goal all game, both in the first half, one a tame effort by McTominay from outside the box, one the goal itself. As usual, the ideologues don't want to look at evidence.
Fred's shot was in second half, mate.

andycolegangstainnit

In his favour he bought three good players in the summer and he's tactically very good against the big teams (W4, D4, L2 against top six). Against him is that we are poor at creating chances and hence score too few goals. The attackers are all quick but with little guile (ok Martial can beat a man some times). Furthermore, we've had some shocking performances away in terms of effort (esp Newcastle and Everton), OGS has to take the blame for that.

I don't see the point in replacing him for another quick-fix merchant (eg Allegri). The only realistic candidate is Poch who I'm sure would come if promised a big transfer budget. Once time is up for Ole he'd be worth a go. Personally, I'd keep Ole (unless and until we are threatened by relegation). We need a couple of signings in January though - a 9 and a 10 although we could persist with 3-4-1-2 and get a top class 10 to replace Pereira when we need a bit more sparkle. Top four still doable as the competition not that great - Chelsea, Leicester?

John Blund

Interesting to monitor this poll as the option to change your vote means it swings with each match - moving back towards 'Keep' after Sunday
Someone is logging after each game to see how many weather vanes we have on this forum? Changing their stance at every breath of wind.
SAF lost 5-0 and 3-0 to Newcastle in his time so wouldn't say it was the worst PL performance ever!
Not the worst result, but the worst performance. We didn't do shit against Newcastle 2 weeks ago. And that first goal in the 5-0 win back in the 90's was a fecken joke! :)

TRUERED89

Er, we didn't. Two shots on goal all game, both in the first half, one a tame effort by McTominay from outside the box, one the goal itself. As usual, the ideologues don't want to look at evidence.
Fred's shot was in second half, mate.
Rashford should of hit the target with his shot in the second half, people seem to have forgotten that chance. If he's more accurate there its probably 2-0 and the points are secured.

dove

Rashford should of hit the target with his shot in the second half, people seem to have forgotten that chance. If he's more accurate there its probably 2-0 and the points are secured.
You sound like Ole now. If we score 1 goal more in each game we would win a quadruple. 2nd half was a disgrace, even though some people here are convinced it was a tactical masterclass from Ole. He is a more negative manager than Jose.

Eric7C

Rashford needs to be more clinical; however, you can never rely on creating as few opportunities as we do in games and expect to win. Even Aguero misses chances. Our overall attempts on goal over the past 20 or so games has been absolutely shocking for a top 6 side.

Greck

Now now I'm sure nobody wants the next manager to be sacked but this is only what every top club in Europe does and have always done. We're the ones trying to reinvent the wheel here

RG 11

1. Due to injuries and lack of signings, we need to have someone playing as RW. I don't see anyone in our squad who's a natural RW.

2. Against Liverpool he took two corners. No chance created. Against Newcastle, he had 6 corners, 3 of them were good and created a chance for us. Against Arsenal he took 8 corners, 4 long, two hit Maguire. Not too bad IMO. You see what you want to see.

3. If this is based on the Liverpool game, I don't agree at all. Solskjaer got on the better side of that tactical battle against Klopp. Based on what we had on the bench and who played, there's not much I'd like to see him do differently.

4. Sending Smalling on loan was weird, but if he knew he'd settle for Lindelöf and Maguire as the first choice, I don't mind having Tuanzebe as the first backup. Lukaku made himself persona non-grata with his tweets and interviews. Sanchez on loan doesn't matter. He's never contributed. I'd be happy if we just cancel his contract. Mata might not have the legs anymore, but as far as I've read, his contribution to the wardrobe is still good. Mata has never been the player in United that he once was for Chelsea, but we can't throw out 10 players at once. As for a replacement for Herrera and Fellaini, I think we all miss that. Even Ole.

5. I don't believe Ole does individual coaching. Players that have improved after Ole took over: Lindelöf, Shaw, Young (!), McT, Pogba, Martial, and Rashford. Mourinho pretty much was in the clinch with the entire squad, except for Matic.

6. What can you do when you got 10 players injured, and your squad is thin? Tuanzebe did good. I think Williams had a decent few minutes against Liverpool. I struggle to see what Chong got to offer.

If you'd said that we haven't improved since Ole took over, I'd agree with you. We haven't. We're worse now that we were at the same time last season. I've not seen us play as bad as we did against Newcastle in PL ever. I don't believe Ole is the best manager in the world, but right now I don't see anyone better for us available. If Poch gets available, must act fast, and throw money on all signings he wants...
1. I know we lack depth and the board hasn't helped but I much rather see a 3-5-2 like yesterday which complements our players than shoehorn Mata at RW which hasn't worked well since Lvg days.

2. You're cherry picking instances where we could / should have done better. But the fact is we have the worst set piece record in the league and that's not purely down to luck. We are consistently doing things incorrectly. Be it movement in the box or relying on wrong personnel for quality delivery.

3. It's not based on Liverpool game. I agree his first half tactics were fantastic and we were unlucky to concede the way we did. He still should've brought fresh legs on earlier but I'll give him a pass due to the woeful bench strength that game.

4. Promoting Tuanzebe is great but if he wanted to go with 4 CBs (+ injured Bailley), Jones shouldn't have gotten a 5 year contract and Rojo should have been sold over Smalling imo. The fact that no one was willing to buy either of those two makes the decision to give Jones a big contract even worse.

5. I really don't see much improvement in any of the players you mentioned barring Lindelof and Shaw maybe. Martial had shown the same form before Sanchez was signed and Rashford looks the same as when he first broke through imo. Pogba is world class on his day and wildy inconsistent (same as always).

6. He mentioned relying on youth before the window closed so it's not the injuries. He always seemed to want to throw youth in to fill the squad gaps which seems like a bad approach.

I find it hard to believe that there are no better managers than Ole available. I think the likes of Eddie Howe or Rodgers from within PL would do a much better job than Ole for example.

Eric7C

Ok, but he same as Rashford wern't far off. If any had went in it was 3 points.
If, if, if..

I won't tire of repeating this:
1. We have scored more than 1 goal in only 1 game this season (that includes non-PL games).
2. We have not had 10 shots on target in the last 5 games.

If you are going to rely on 100% clinical striking, then you will not do well. We just don't create enough chances.

Bestietom

If, if, if..

I won't tire of repeating this:
1. We have scored more than 1 goal in only 1 game this season (that includes non-PL games).
2. We have not had 10 shots on target in the last 5 games.

If you are going to rely on 100% clinical striking, then you will not do well. We just don't create enough chances.
We all know this and not waiting for you to point it out to us. We are just clutching at straws hoping that one of these shots would go in against Liverpool. Cool down man.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Being a United supporter getting any sort of result on Sunday was an unexpected bonus, especially stopping their consecutive wins record. If the dippers lose the PL title by 2 points I'll dance round the streets naked. Credit must be given to the manager and the players for their performance. Yes we were pushed back in the second half but we musn't forget we were playing the European champions and favorites for the PL.

But Sundays result has opened up a can of worms which needed to be opened. I see a lot of people are a bit more optimistic that Ole has what it takes to be the man and that the players can perform to a higher level after Sundays performance so maybe our squad isn't as bad as what people think. Obviously we can't forget the dross football we've been seeing almost on a consistent basis but now the bar has been set. From now there's no more excuses. We got a result without Martial, Pogba and Shaw so with them playing we should be even better, right? It's logical since a majority of posters think our inept performances have been down to these players being out injured.

I don't think Ole is the man to take us forward but if we kick on from here then I don't have a problem holding my hands up and giving him time in the transfer market but if we go back to inexcusable performances after seeing what the team can do against the CL champions then for me or any sane United supporter there should only be one outcome.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Being a United supporter getting any sort of result on Sunday was an unexpected bonus, especially stopping their consecutive wins record. If the dippers lose the PL title by 2 points I'll dance round the streets naked. Credit must be given to the manager and the players for their performance. Yes we were pushed back in the second half but we musn't forget we were playing the European champions and favorites for the PL.

But Sundays result has opened up a can of worms which needed to be opened. I see a lot of people are a bit more optimistic that Ole has what it takes to be the man and that the players can perform to a higher level after Sundays performance so maybe our squad isn't as bad as what people think. Obviously we can't forget the dross football we've been seeing almost on a consistent basis but now the bar has been set. From now there's no more excuses. We got a result without Martial, Pogba and Shaw so with them playing we should be even better, right? It's logical since a majority of posters think our inept performances have been down to these players being out injured.

I don't think Ole is the man to take us forward but if we kick on from here then I don't have a problem holding my hands up and giving him time in the transfer market but if we go back to inexcusable performances after seeing what the team can do against the CL champions then for me or any sane United supporter there should only be one outcome.
40 games vs. 1 games

Which one is the odd one out? We werent all that against the scouse. It's a derby, we're fighting for our lives. They're fighting complacency.

We didnt won. It's a draw.

Stop making it as some kind of maestro performance. Our goal happens because their player camped in our half while we're stacking 2 banks of four.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
40 games vs. 1 games

Which one is the odd one out? We werent all that against the scouse. It's a derby, we're fighting for our lives. They're fighting complacency.

We didnt won. It's a draw.

Stop making it as some kind of maestro performance. Our goal happens because their player camped in our half while we're stacking 2 banks of four.
Did you actually read past the first paragraph?

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
And we didn't make top 4 due to the disastrous start last season. Were we meant to repeat it this season?

Everyone at the club including Ole were promising us with a much improved season than last in the pre-season.

Doesn't look like we're improving upon 6th place from last season as the squad is inarguably much worse than last season so I don't see what your point is.
I didn't have a point with that post, I was just answering a question that I'd been asked.

hobbers

The swirl around the Liverpool game is really a red herring. Was always likely to end up a really tight contest given so many different factors.

Our next five Prem games are away to Norwich, Bournemouth and Sheffield, and home to Brighton and Villa. Those are the games that will define whether Ole is still in his job at Christmas.

In normal circumstances it should be 15 from 15. But I'll settle for 12 points. Expectation with Ole: 7 points.

Dec9003

Here's some context for you: we've won 2 of 9 games this year and 4 of our last 17 Premier League matches overall (which is nearly a 1/2 season worth of results).
Yeah those statistics are damning and if we carry on as we are Solskjaer will eventually be rightfully sacked.

Enigma_87

You know who
You didn't have a point, you asked a poorly written question.
Being as far from top four once(last season) in the last 20 years or so after 9 games doesn't make it "normally" though. Normally after 9 rounds we are well within top 4 since Pl was established.

Dec9003

Being as far from top four once(last season) in the last 20 years or so after 9 games doesn't make it "normally" though. Normally after 9 rounds we are well within top 4 since Pl was established.
I've already had this conversation yesterday, you're welcome to go and read what I actually wrote.

Enigma_87

You know who
I saw the post from yesterday and I disagree.

Again you're getting upset.
When you're having a discussion with someone, as you are with me about relegation, bottom half etc. and I then explain that despite being closer to relegation we're pretty much as close to the top four as we usually are, You can't then just disregard that because it isn't the main focus of your point.
Again, I have read your 'point' and you are right, but I'm just trying to add context to the league table and show you that perhaps it isn't just as simple as going bottom half = Ole worst.
It's not that you're not interested in discussing further, as I pointed out earlier you're incapable of it, given you narrow down to one 'point' and refuse to look at the stats given to you beyond your own perspective.
The discussion is only pointless if you make it pointless.
If you are looking at context 5 points off the top from 9 games isn't 7 points off top from 9 games, hence since it happened once it doesn't make it a regularity. It's a big difference on ppg basis. We literally have never had such a bad position since PL was established, both on points per game (after 9 rounds) and also being far from the top.

Furthermore the top four have been far from as consistent as last year in the opening 9 games. For example Spurs were 5th after 9 rounds winning 7 of their 9 games. There is a good reason for that. Spurs are under performing as well since half an year, Chelsea are inconsistent for obvious reasons and Arsenal are their usual self.

In essence after 9 rounds - we scored the least amount of goals since god knows when, got the least amount of points, are in the worst position in the table and closest to relegation zone as ever in PL.

However you spin it we are in our worst position since 9 games mate, not sure how it is even debatable.

A-man

Let’s see if he can pick up the positives from last match and build on that. If not, I think he should go. The team is now in a position where it need to build long term. I don’t see any reason to take the risk to build long term with an inexperienced coach.

Dec9003

However you spin it we are in our worst position since 9 games mate, not sure how it is even debatable.
I'll say the same to you as I have others, I'm not debating that this is the worst we've done, why would I?
But Iregardless, for every season post Fergie that we've hired a new manager, after 9 matches we've been a minimum of 5 points away from the top four.
I think you've just read one or two posts and completely misunderstood my point, which is that despite being closer to relegation than normal, we're not massively worse off in relation to the top four.
Which is true, it's not debatable, it's just another way to look at the table and an interesting comparison when looking at this season compared to the last 5/6.
It isn't a defence of Solsjkaer or the results this season, it's purely just a different way of looking at it.

Enigma_87

You know who
I'll say the same to you as I have others, I'm not debating that this is the worst we've done, why would I?
But Iregardless, for every season post Fergie that we've hired a new manager, after 9 matches we've been a minimum of 5 points away from the top four.
I think you've just read one or two posts and completely misunderstood my point, which is that despite being closer to relegation than normal, we're not massively worse off in relation to the top four.
Which is true, it's not debatable, it's just another way to look at the table and an interesting comparison when looking at this season compared to the last 5/6.
It isn't a defence of Solsjkaer or the results this season, it's purely just a different way of looking at it.
There is a big difference though. Ole got the job way before that. He worked with those core players for a 6 month period prior to attending the job. The barren run is also from last season and this one, despite spending 150-160m on new players we barely see any improvement.

Dec9003

There is a big difference though. Ole got the job way before that. He worked with those core players for a 6 month period prior to attending the job. The barren run is also from last season and this one, despite spending 150-160m on new players we barely see any improvement.
All true, but doesn't change the statistics.
Again, not a defence of Ole or the way this season has gone.
If the results continue and Ole gets sacked then it would be difficult to argue it wasn't justified.
But the stat is what it is, after nine matches we tend to be a minimum of 5 points away from the top four when we get a new manager (Ole technically not new after having an interim period)
I did say it's a flawed stat for obvious reasons, but people aren't really interested in that, can't imagine why.

Foxbatt

Sir Matt
or...

Sir Alex
Are you a WUM or a moron? He won almost everything apart from the fecking European Cup with them. But he also won the Super Cup beating the then holders of the European Cup, HSV.

As for Sir Matt, it's wrong to say he had no coaching experience. He was the coach for the football team for the Army Physical Corp.

The issue is also not Molde. Ole has nothing to show he is a good coach.

Look at the match with Liverpool. Most people can see by the 75 or 80 min mark all players were all gone. Especially the midfield players. Any sensible coach would have sent on two fresh players into midfield. What did Ole do? Nothing. It's easy to blame Rojo but that cross should never have been allowed to be made. It was made because the players had nothing more to give.
It's the manager's fault for not managing the game. We still had two subs left. He snatched a draw from the jaws of a win.
Simply he is incompetent.

Patience

If we're too relaxed about this, we'll become the next Liverpool waiting for 30+ years to get title #21. We're already the new Arsenal fighting for the top 4 trophy every season :lol:

We'll defo become the next Liverpool if we keep hiring and firing managers..hiring the next best European manager because he did reasonably well in Spain/France, then jumping back to hire somebody who is young and did okay in England.. then feck that, let's try a man who has managed all over Europe... blah blah blah.. 30-years of it. No manager given the appropriate time it would take to turn the ship around ... until they tried another manager who was hot from Europe- this time Germany.

He finished 7th in his first season.. had a 39% win record... but did they sack him, like we would have? No. They kept with him, kept with him, kept with him., kept with him.. 4 years later he now manages arguably the best team in the land.

Time and patience is the only way back to the top,

Hiring and firing is a recipe to be the next Liverpool.

I'm gonna say it this way: I would MUCH rather be where we are now as a club, than where we were 2/3/4 years ago. Yes we mighta been better on the pitch, but we were going nowhere, no plan, no identity.

Now at least we have a clear plan we are working towards, we are so clearly trying to earn our identity back.... Yes, it will take 3-4 years for us to get back up there. But that is much better than it taking another quarter of a century which is what would happen if we keep firing and hiring.

Do I think Ole will win Prem League titles for us? No - I actually don't But I think he will restore the club to how it needs to be and when the time comes in 2-3 years to hand it over to a manager who will bring us back to the top, the squad and club will be in great shape... Whereas, if we keep firing and hiring, the squad will be messy as feck and the club will be in dire straits. Just like it has been the past 2/3/4/5 years. We all agree we want no more of that. Yet so many fans are calling for exactly that....

...Is there anything more ridiculous than a Man Utd fan who wants Ole out and Allegri in right now? It's as if they've never watched football in their lives. Or if they have, they have learned nothing from watching it.

I want my club back before I want trophies back.

It's only gonna be ideal to see us winning titles if we are winning them as Man United. Not as Chelsea playing in red.. hiring and firing and hiring and firing and then stumbling upon a title.. No thanks. I wanna give our club and manager the time it takes to ensure we are never Chelsea again.. as we have been for the past 5 years. Those who want Allegri in want us to be Chelsea.. those who want Ole to stable the ship and get us back to being Manchester United want us to be Manchester United.

Patience

Are you a WUM or a moron? He won almost everything apart from the fecking European Cup with them. But he also won the Super Cup beating the then holders of the European Cup, HSV.

As for Sir Matt, it's wrong to say he had no coaching experience. He was the coach for the football team for the Army Physical Corp.

The issue is also not Molde. Ole has nothing to show he is a good coach.

Look at the match with Liverpool. Most people can see by the 75 or 80 min mark all players were all gone. Especially the midfield players. Any sensible coach would have sent on two fresh players into midfield. What did Ole do? Nothing. It's easy to blame Rojo but that cross should never have been allowed to be made. It was made because the players had nothing more to give.
It's the manager's fault for not managing the game. We still had two subs left. He snatched a draw from the jaws of a win.
Simply he is incompetent.

Ha ha..

Only on RedCafe can you be called a WUM for backing your manager.

I swear, it's like a sitcom on here at times.

Read my post right above this one, mate.

bleedred

Well, it did Help, didn't it.

Moyes-7th
LVG-4th
Jose-2nd

and every manager were an improvement on the other.