Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bondsname

Let’s get Poch and see. Personally I think he’d struggle here, he doesn’t excite me and I think the same people worshiping him now would be calling for his head in 12 months time.
But whatever, it’s like swimming against the tide trying to argue with people here about not wanting Pochettino.
The pressure to manage Man United is so intense I don't think many people could handle it. I imagine Pep and even Klopp would lose their minds managing this club. Pep would not be able to manage these crop of players without a budget of half a billion in the transfer window, and Klopp would lose the fans too quickly to be given time to build a team in his vision.

I don't think Poch fits the profile either, he is notoriously known for cracking under pressure, for example: losing crucial games on a regular basis. The pressure is just way too high, and it's too toxic, for any manager to be given time to build his team. And the time to build a team would take even longer than it should, because we have Ed in charge, and he plays by his own rules.

Poch would do better than Ole though. 27% win percentage is disgraceful for a United manager.

tob

We should definitely keep him at the moment.
We're in a better place within the team even though we're worse of in points. We're not playing that poorly, we just ain't got good enough players. Especially in midfield.

It's not the same situation as last time when Mourinho got sacked, or when Spurs sacked Poch. Both those managers had lost the dressing room and the players belief in them.The players (and the board) are still behind Ole and believe in what he and the coaching staff are doing, so we've got to have patients. Sacking Ole now and getting someone else with a different approach could risk everything going back to where we were a year ago, me thinks. Then we would be back at square one again. Possibly with more irritated players, wanting to leave this club with a future that is so uncertain.

Who knows, three more good signings in the summer and this time next year we might be were Leicester are today - i.e. going from ending 9th to be the closest team to get into a title race.

AneRu

I dont think either Rodgers or Poch will have us competing for titles tbh. Were so far off they dont need to to be an improvement though.
Rodgers was a Steven Gerard slip away from winning the league with Liverpool.

Enigma_87

You know who
Harry Maguire is not a 80 mil CB. When you break the world record for a cb, you would expect him to be among the top 5 best in world. I don't think he's even the top 10.
Wait, so the decision to blow the biggest chunk of the budget on him wasn’t such a great idea then? Who knew..

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Ole should not be the manager, he inspires no confidence whatsoever and does not command any respect from these players. He is simply not good enough and has no experience managing at the top level of football, its akin to Donald Trump running the United States of America. All he does is sit there on the bench whispering to Carrick even when we are getting battered at home to Villa.

That being said, he is a club legend and always will be, but no matter who comes in will not get a note out of these overpaid, over-hyped garbage players. We have had 2 World Level managers come in in LVG and Mourinho and they couldn't do anything either. We have no recognised striker which is genuinely mind boggling, Martial and Rashford are not strikers, they cannot score week in week out, Rashford missed a header 2 yards out today with no one near him, only went in off the post and the keeper. Martial was anonymous yet again. We have no midfield, Pereira and Fred are not even Championship level players. And we have spent £80 million on one of the worst Central Defenders i have seen. Having watched someone like Rio over the years then having to see Maguire is enough to make a grown man cry. Leicester are miles better without him in the team.

There has been failure after failure to address the basics in the squad, not one leader in the team, go down the list of players and tell me one who stands out as a leader. There isn't one. Every single one of them is happy to pick up their obscene wages and do the bare minimum every game.

As a club we are in serious trouble, this wont be fixed by bringing in Poch, a serial loser who has never won a thing in his life. We have had a chance to live off past glories the last few years the same as Milan did, we have wasted it by spending copious amounts of money on dross. We are now at the stage where the top players will not want to come to United, just like they dont go to Milan. Any talented player now would be mad to choose United over Liverpool and City because we are not winning anything for years and are a single bad season (just like this one) away from being dragged into a relegation battle.

Next up, Spurs and City.
I don't think it's fair to call Poch has a serial loser. You have to look at the clubs he's managed and who he has been competing against and the funds he'd had.

Jburton

We're in a better place within the team even though we're worse of in points. We're not playing that poorly, we just ain't got good enough players. Especially in midfield.

It's not the same situation as last time when Mourinho got sacked, or when Spurs sacked Poch. Both those managers had lost the dressing room and the players belief in them.The players (and the board) are still behind Ole and believe in what he and the coaching staff are doing, so we've got to have patients. Sacking Ole now and getting someone else with a different approach could risk everything going back to where we were a year ago, me thinks. Then we would be back at square one again. Possibly with more irritated players, wanting to leave this club with a future that is so uncertain.

Who knows, three more good signings in the summer and this time next year we might be were Leicester are today - i.e. going from ending 9th to be the closest team to get into a title race.
The football is rubbish and the performances are awful and we are on a slow drop into the lower third of the table.

Stick with Ole and we aren't going to be in the Prem come next season.

el3mel

I honestly can't believe how anyone can say we had a good summer while watching Maguire per week. I said that previously. For how long will this "3 good singings" keep mentioned regardless of their performance on the pitch? All 3 seem to be regressing as games go on.

The Bloody-Nine

A year ago we were better than we are now.

Mindhunter

You took an £80M player from Leicester, a mid table side and they are currently second in the league..
Not sure of what the point is.

Definitely we haven’t played per expectations. However the problem runs deeper than just the manager. Players coming to United get massive pay hikes and think of the step up in wages as “having made it”. That’s what happens with years of financial mismanagement - paying players over the top just to retain them. It’s become a retirement home for good players and a black hole for players no one else wants.

Judas

Open to offers
I honestly can't believe how anyone can say we had a good summer while watching Maguire per week. I said that previously. For how long will this "3 good singings" keep mentioned regardless of their performance on the pitch? All 3 seem to be regressing as games go on.
Which is why I don't see much point in slagging them off. Every player we sign turns to shite.

AneRu

It's just a default point to defend a failing manager much like the point about the Glazers being so bad that it's pointless sacking the manager as if we have never won under their ownership. The Ole in crowd are now just clutching at straws when his record is speaking for itself.

Greck

I have a problem with the belief that this manager is a couple 100m away from having us in top 4. Money helps but it doesn't displace the blatant tactical shortcomings that are a central feature in his management. Personally and strictly imo i think he could have Liverpool's squad outside top 4

Enigma_87

You know who

Definitely we haven’t played per expectations. However the problem runs deeper than just the manager. Players coming to United get massive pay hikes and think of the step up in wages as “having made it”. That’s what happens with years of financial mismanagement - paying players over the top just to retain them. It’s become a retirement home for good players and a black hole for players no one else wants.
So giving contracts to Jones, Mata, Pereira is better?

Those players, even Rashford won’t get anywhere else close to the figures they are getting at United and Ole condoned each of those deals.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I dont think either Rodgers or Poch will have us competing for titles tbh. Were so far off they dont need to to be an improvement though.
I also stated they would need 5 better quality players across the team.

davidmichael

I think outside of the Norwich and Brighton games we’ve been awful for the most part, my love for Ole has meant I wanted him to succeed so so much and wanted to look at the few positives rather than the numerous negatives but the past couple of weeks for me have really hit home hard that Ole will never be the answer.

Yes Ole knows that type of player and character we need at the club but he himself isn’t a good enough manager/head coach to get what’s needed out of the players we currently have or the players we're trying to bring in, I honestly think as Sporting Director with a job of identifying players/characters in the squad Ole would have worked but it’s too late for that now as he’s damaged from the job as manager.

What we do know about Pochettino is that he’s a great head coach, very good tactically, a great squad builder, very good with man management, gets the best out of players and happy to work with youth so even if Pochettino only managed 3-4 years with us he’d leave us in a far better state than we are currently in so I say tomorrow (and it kills me to say it) we let Ole go and bring Pochettino in straight away and give him proper time and proper money.

AneRu

The problems run much deeper, can't dispute that but we are also not this bad. Let's not lie to ourselves.

In Rainbows

Let’s get Poch and see. Personally I think he’d struggle here, he doesn’t excite me and I think the same people worshiping him now would be calling for his head in 12 months time.
But whatever, it’s like swimming against the tide trying to argue with people here about not wanting Pochettino.
I'm not a big fan of Poch either. Hiring him right now puts us out of the running for Marco Rose, Nagelsmann, etc... not that they should get the job. It's just that I would rather give the job to someone based on all the evidence. Evidence that Marco Rose isn't some fluke, and things like that. Right now it will be a competition between Poch, and who? Allegri and Wenger? Even during the summer, it's not like Nagelsman and Rose are completely free. Difference is that they are more free in the summer than right now in the middle of the season.

I won't complain though because I want Ole out too. I just never found Poch's sides all that entertaining despite his reputation as an attacking manager.

always_hoping

It's sad this thread is more popular than the Ed Woodward thread.
Yes and a clueless Woodward should not be allowed to oversee yet another manager appointment but we all know he'll be there with the new manager with his stupid smirking face.

el3mel

He also knocked out City in the CL despite Kane not playing due to injury.
They actually used to do well with Kane absent, probably because they had a competent manager who can manage injuries to key players, like what happens to every club in the world.

MoskvaRed

I don't want to hear about Sir Alex having a rough start (Already won Scottish league and a European Cup) or Pep and Klopp having rough starts (both winners with proven pedigree) ...... there is nothing from Ole's management career to promote any belief in his eventually coming good.

Making him permanent manager was a mistake, he needs to go. He is following his pedigree, straight to relegation.
I fully agree with your post but the same point has been made literally hundreds of times on here about Klopp and even Fergie to no effect (and you would think the self—appointed best fans on here would bother to learn a bit about the legend before he took over at United in 1986). But no, apparently, along with Michael Gove, we’ve had enough of experts and the key ingredient is time. United is the magic kingdom and we don’t need managers with track records of success or even making improvements at a team in a top league.

John Blund

I'm still behind Ole. One of few, I guess.

Weird thing is that I don't believe Ole is a world-class manager. I don't even believe he's a good championship manager. But he understands what Man United is all about. I don't believe in the short term solution of sacking the manager without having a DOF and a new manager in the line to step up.
As for players, it seems like Ole loves Pereira and Lindelöf. I would look to replace them asap with other players in the squad. And in the summer window, I'd be happy to listen for offers. I'm not even sure if Lindelöf is better than Smalling when they're both in form. Smalling is faster, stronger in the air and their mistake rate seems to be pretty similar; way too often misreading of either the game or the ball. You can argue that we've never seen them in form for more than a few games at the time.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
This is a either a horror or comedy movie, depends on how you look at the situation.

We are the biggest team in the league and the worst manager to be fair. The later stages of the Mourinho era was bad but if we look at the results we were better with him. Mou was a negative douche at the end of his spell here and it was just a matter of time before he was sacked. Good riddance.

Now we have a positive manager. Always smiling, always happy and joking around. Quite likeable features in a person if you ask me. Club legend and all. Remember ’99? I member too. Either way the results dont lie, the table dont lie. He is just a shitty manager. Don’t bother telling me to blame Eddy or the Glazers, I hate them too, but this is on Ole. How many managers had the cash to splash about 150 million on three players in the summer? Not many, but Ole had and it can’t be used as an excuse. He also said he was happy with the squad.

We have not made any progress as a group, we lack a propper game plan and every time we have to take control of the game we look like a deer in the headlights with no clue how to unlock defences. The exception being the Norwich game were we hade most of the posession and won the game.

Are the players developing under Ole? Yeah a few but is Ole the reason of their development? Rashford, Greenwood and James are at the age when progress is expected and I would not give the credit solely to Ole for their progress. Recently we have also begun to shit on our most recent additions Wan-Bissaka and Maguire. I think they both have been decent and cudos to Ole for getting them. That is pretty much all positive I have to say about the man, the myth, the legend Ole.

Last but not least his statements are quite hilarious. ”Lingard is finding his best form!”. What fecking form? I am against throwing players under the buss publicly but come on man that is some deluded shit right there and for the love of god stop using the silly nicknames in the presser. Rashy, Lingz etc. What the actual feck?

Poch in and Ole out.

MoskvaRed

It's sad this thread is more popular than the Ed Woodward thread.
Ed won’t sack himself. We all know the problems at United go much deeper than the manager but it’s natural to focus on the area where it might be realistic to expect a change and an improvement. Plus Ole knew what he was getting into and it was still a much better option than staying at his League of Wales type position.

dove

Weird thing is that I don't believe Ole is a world-class manager. I don't even believe he's a good championship manager. But he understands what Man United is all about.
This just sums up Ole's supporters here. Crazy.

Ander herrera the warrior

And what players have improved in that way under Ole?
I might get bashed up for saying this but the players I think that have improved under Ole is Rashford, Martial, James (thought he would be used only as a sub) Scott Mctominay, Fred, Lindelof and Andreas. He gave Brandon Williams and Greenwood debuts and they seem ok. Also brought in Tuanzebe from loan, a player that Mourinho didn't care much about although he complained about not getting a centerback.

Enigma_87

You know who

Weird thing is that I don't believe Ole is a world-class manager. I don't even believe he's a good championship manager. But he understands what Man United is all about.
So as long as he shows up for the job he's qualified to be our manager? Jesus fecking christ... Nepotism at its very best.

Moiraine

I'm not a big fan of Poch either. Hiring him right now puts us out of the running for Marco Rose, Nagelsmann, etc... not that they should get the job. It's just that I would rather give the job to someone based on all the evidence. Evidence that Marco Rose isn't some fluke, and things like that. Right now it will be a competition between Poch, and who? Allegri and Wenger? Even during the summer, it's not like Nagelsman and Rose are completely free. Difference is that they are more free in the summer than right now in the middle of the season.

I won't complain though because I want Ole out too. I just never found Poch's sides all that entertaining despite his reputation as an attacking manager.
They have murdered us almost everytime we faced them.

Status
Not open for further replies.