Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lysglimt

Scout
Ole's run has been an emotional rollercoaster. He took over Mou and did so well to be offered the permanent job. Then we had one of the most naive summer transfer strategy in many years (130m spent on defence while we ignored midfield completely) which was followed with the worst start since 1989. Rumours spread that he wouldn't last after January. Now results had improved and he's the messiah again. Which worries me really, cause clubs shouldn't be run on emotions/knee jerk decisions. Fans can afford to be like that and you can sympathise at those who are struggling to adapt to it. CEOs and board members can't

The same can be said about transfers which is usually used as Ole's strongpoint. Without taking any credit from Ole but do we really need the 'right manager' to buy players who are 20-26 year olds, who are hungry for success, who are talented and who aren't coming to United for their last paycheck? That does sound basic to me and is what Sir Alex did since the beginning of time (with few exceptions). So why we allowed guys to bring a big Belgian lump or the likes of Valdes, Bastian, Matic and co? The answer is simple. We've got a board who finds it hard to challenge the manager cause they have zilc knowledge about football. So the manager becomes some sort of dictator up until he doesn't. At that point we simply close our purses to him and he ends up on the streets.

Such incompetence at board level might also explain why we went for LVG and Moyes ie two managers no big club wanted to touch with a barge pole. LVG was rotting in an old man's job prior for us signing him. His career at club's level was shot having been sacked out of Bayern and Barcelona twice. Moyes was never wanted by top clubs in the first place. Evertonians were thrilled of seeing him go as they knew that he couldn't take them to the next level. TBF Mou was wanted by Inter (Moratti is as incompetent as our own Woody is) but that changed once Marotta took over.. FFS after getting the sack from us, Inter could have gone to Mou but they preferred Juventus legend Conte to him. Can you imagine if we had a vacancy for manager, Sir Alex was available and we went for Kenny Dalglish instead? That's what Inter did. So that's 3 or 4 (if you add Ole).

Returning to our manager, no one knows if Ole is the right manager for us. This staggering form might be temporary or maybe the previous dip in form might have been a stroke of bad luck. There's also a chance that Ole isn't a shit manager as some thought but he might not be good enough to take us to were we want to either. Which means that at one point we might have to take a well informed and painful decision as United should be aiming for the very best. I struggle to see anyone at the club capable of taking such decision

There is a CHANCE that a manager who beats City and Chelsea 3 times in a season isn't as shit as some thought ?

LInkash

Sack Ole. He took six points from City and now Liverpool get at least the moral victory in the league. Six more points for City and it would have been less clear cut.

lysglimt

Scout
We'll have to disagree here, because it is absolutely what was said.
Yeah - according to some they were so obvious purchases that he didn't deserve any credit for signing them. It was the classic "anyone could have it" - even if only he did!

Mainoldo

Some people and their mental gymnastic to give no credits to the improvement and signings Ole have made :rolleyes:
It’s like the mental gymnastics those people had to go through when been told to give him time he’s building something. Watching us get banged 2-0 against Burnley.

So I wouldn’t get to confused.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

If there is a season next year, Ole is the man for me. We are finally going in the right direction and another season in charge means the club will be in better shape for the right manager to take over. You put the wrong man in charge too soon and it all falls to shit again. I never believed Ole waa the right man long term, but I believe he could be the right man for right now.

Our recruitment has been too slow, but the five of them seem to be finding their feet. We still need to shift a few more deadwood, but this is the best the squad has looked in a while. We are starting to have competition for places and everyone is playing with confidence.

Rob Bowman

Nice article. Skip the first part but I really like how Ole stands up for what he thinks. Not saying he is correct but very dignified response...

‘I believe that we’re going places. I believe that we’re on the track that Man United need to be on. ‘There are different cultures at different clubs and different ways of doing things and I believe in the way we do things at Man United now. ‘I don’t necessarily believe in everything we’ve done before but at the moment I believe in what we’re doing. ‘I think I’m the right man but I’m not going to sit here and talk about that. The proof is in the pudding at the end of the day. ‘It’s not just about tactics. It’s about the players, I’ve got great staff. We sit and have great discussions going into different games. ‘I’ve got a philosophy I think is worthy of this club. I’m a red and I think I know what this club needs.’

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/13/man-...tbxweToB7ACOn-5Z7drxxlOXX0PW0yXlU?ito=cbshare

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Some on here should sign up for the church, given how good they seem to be at giving sermons and grandstanding.

Unfortunately, the season's come to an abrupt pause but let's see where he is at the end before giving a final verdict. Although that's probably a bit too negative for the church of optimism on here.

Last edited:

AshRK

Have to call spade a spade and admit he has done a really good job since the Burnley defeat. He has received dog abuse from some , even calling him a PE teacher who doesn't know a thing about management or how he is the worst manager in the league blah blah. Maybe he does know what he is doing and can become more than decent manager. Just like players can improve, a manager can also improve. The whole logic of how he relegated Cardiff is ridiculous considering many have already stated they were one of the worst sides to play in PL.

I want to see how he does when the football resumes. Hopefully the break does everyone a good and we become even more rejuvenated.

Nr.7

At the start of the season I predicted us to finish 7th-10th in the league. I was prepared for such a low place in the table as long as the things that needed to be done get done:
Clear the deadwood
Change in transger policy (bring in players that clearly want to be here and the ones we bring in actually turn out to be successful signings)
Improve the players we have (your Martials, Freds, Shaws etc)
give young players a chance
have a settled 11 (or 8-9)
bring some positivity

That’s a huge job at any club let alone a club the size of Man Utd in a league as hard as the PL and so far Ole has delivered on pretty much all those things.

I also give Ole the benefit of the doubt on the fact that we haven’t replaced Lukaku and Herrera/Fellaini. That’s much harder to do in real life than in Fifa or Football manager. I doubt Ole had the funds and the players ready to come here but just decided “naah I have Lingard and Pereira”.
Pretty much any manager would gladly buy quality players if given the option to do so.

Is he the man to get us back at the very top? We’ll see, but the signs are positive and I’m quite sure that even if he’s not at least he’ll leave the club in a much healthier state than when he came in. We’re still in a rebuilding process and who ever manages the club next season won’t have a proper top, settled, healthy club on their hands.

Managing a team like Man Utd is a hard job with huge pressure. No matter the table position United will always have expectations, press attention etc
Whos to be certain that Neiglesmann would handle a big club like this? It broke managers with a much better pedigree.

In Ole I trust.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
That's true matey. But I was dog shit at tying shoe laces when I was 4, now I'm a shoe lace ninja. The same for anything and anyone. Ole may have been out of his depth and 'dog shit' but who's to say he's not learning and developing and improving? What if his improvement carries on? Still sack him?
After a lot of practice, you get so good at tying you shoe lace, that you can just remove the shoe without undoing the shoe lace, and easily step into it the next time.
Just have to tighten the knot once in a while ;)

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
The only reason the club would consider sacking Ole this season is for him to have an affair with Woody's Mrs - Might as well change the vote for the two alternative options available.
The only doubt in my mind would be if the club have already spoken with Poch when the results weren't great and promised him the job at the end of the season. If that's the case then it's stick or bust time for the club.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The only doubt in my mind would be if the club have already spoken with Poch when the results weren't great and promised him the job at the end of the season. If that's the case then it's stick or bust time for the club.
So, by this logic, option one is not applicable due to Poch unable to take up employment until the new season due to his compensation terms.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Which tells us people change their mind to the completely opposite after literally every successful or bad period of results
Not really - it's been sat at around 50% Ole out for months with just small moves, it's been a major change in last few weeks

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
So, by this logic, option one is not applicable due to Poch unable to take up employment until the new season due to his compensation terms.
Maybe. The silence from Poch is deafening. He's probably one of the most in demand managers around which makes me think he could already have his future sorted and he's already stated his desire to stay in the PL and if that's the case there's only (for me) 3 clubs he would go to. Us, City and maybe Chelski although after managing Spurs that one might be a non starter. I'm not saying it's going to happen but it is a possibility that the club have spoken with him and have arrangements in place.

If that is the case what will they do if Ole continues to impress?

Withnail

Which tells us people change their mind to the completely opposite after literally every successful or bad period of results
It's a results business :confused:

Of course people will change their minds if they see evidence that the manager can get consistent performances out of the team.

If the team then went on a bad run in the remaining 11 or 12 games, or whatever it is with Europa, and United finished 8 or 9th people would be calling for his head again and rightly so.

lysglimt

Scout
Maybe. The silence from Poch is deafening. He's probably one of the most in demand managers around which makes me think he could already have his future sorted and he's already stated his desire to stay in the PL and if that's the case there's only (for me) 3 clubs he would go to. Us, City and maybe Chelski although after managing Spurs that one might be a non starter. I'm not saying it's going to happen but it is a possibility that the club have spoken with him and have arrangements in place.

There is no way they have arrangements in place for another manager - at best they have spoken to someone and asked him if he is available. You don't go hire someone 6 months in advance and then give the manager you will sack, money to sign new players

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Some on here should sign up for the church, given how good they seem to be at giving sermons and grandstanding.

Unfortunately, the season's come to an abrupt pause but let's see where he is at the end before giving a final verdict. Although that's probably a bit too negative for the church of optimism on here.
Why does a little bit of optimism concern you? Isnt it better than the bloodbath this forum has been for the last 6 months?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The silence from Poch is deafening. He's probably one of the most in demand managers around
Is he though? The compensation for managers tends to be somewhere in the region of a no-risk lower league player, so we arent talking astronomical numbers here.

Its seems to me that the cult following he has with United fans isnt necessarily shared by everyone.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
After a lot of practice, you get so good at tying you shoe lace, that you can just remove the shoe without undoing the shoe lace, and easily step into it the next time.
Just have to tighten the knot once in a while ;)
Several metaphors in there somewhere I’m sure :lol:

Dve

Rather silence from media outlets than from Poch himself. Whenever United have lost a game this season, there have been numerous articles about Ole being sacked, or whatever they can dig up of negative stuff (United holding talks with Poch... or someone else, players not happy with the coaching staff, etc.). Win one game, and it´s the opposite (Ole backed by the board, players demand that Ole continues, etc).

Last edited:

Dve

The poll only just reopened.
Reopened, but not reset. You saw what happened last time it got reset just after United had lost to Burnley, the support for Ole fell with 20% from one day to another. You would see the same effect if it was reset now, just the other way around.

Dve

Well, what can we fans really base our opinion on, other than results.

Dve

To be fair there isn't a wait til the end of the season and then make a decision option.

I've picked b because it's the closest to that.
I´m worried this is the end of the season. The pandemi is tipped by experts to kick in for real in May and last through the whole summer, probable until October. Or until they come up with a vaccine.

USREDEVIL

I wish I knew how to quit you Ole!

Seriously though wait until the end of the season but i'll be damned if he isn't making a strong case for himself. I turned Ole out after Burnley, but i'm always open minded about things.

Edit: If this is the end of the season, i'm still unconvinced. Seems like Bruno has sparked this turnaround and he would be just as great under a more polished manager.

RUCK4444

Look at those poll results! Wow!!
People are starting to believe. It just took a run of results to tip them over onto the pro-Ole side of the fence.

I think sometimes people get lost in the complete misery we’ve had to put up with since SAF retired.

Ole ticks all the boxes and is delivering in all areas I was focussed on at the beginning of the season, which is why I’ve never wavered from backing Ole.
Nothing to do with him being a Legend, purely down to improvements in key areas that were not addressed by previous managers.

I’m excited for the summer window now, hope this delay to the league doesn’t kill our momentum.
We need a CL place, then on to signing Kane and Sancho :drool: :wenger:

Reactions: golden_blunder

RUCK4444

I wish I knew how to quit you Ole!

Seriously though wait until the end of the season but i'll be damned if he isn't making a strong case for himself. I turned Ole out after Burnley, but i'm always open minded about things.

Edit: If this is the end of the season, i'm still unconvinced. Seems like Bruno has sparked this turnaround and he would be just as great under a more polished manager.
Dude, you have to give Ole credit A. For signing Bruno and B. For providing a functional/improved side for him to walk into.

It’s frankly narrow minded to say we are doing well purely because of one player anyway.

Of course Bruno has been class, but any player needs a positive environment and functioning/balanced squad in order to hit the ground running like that.

ReddBalls

Dude, you have to give Ole credit A. For signing Bruno and B. For providing a functional/improved side for him to walk into.

It’s frankly narrow minded to say we are doing well purely because of one player anyway.

Of course Bruno has been class, but any player needs a positive environment and functioning/balanced squad in order to hit the ground running like that.
Exactly. Good post.

Withnail

People are starting to believe. It just took a run of results to tip them over onto the pro-Ole side of the fence.

I think sometimes people get lost in the complete misery we’ve had to put up with since SAF retired.

Ole ticks all the boxes and is delivering in all areas I was focussed on at the beginning of the season, which is why I’ve never wavered from backing Ole.
Nothing to do with him being a Legend, purely down to improvements in key areas that were not addressed by previous managers.

I’m excited for the summer window now, hope this delay to the league doesn’t kill our momentum.
We need a CL place, then on to signing Kane and Sancho :drool: :wenger:
Agree with most of that but do not want Kane.

He's less and less effective every year.

We need someone on the up.

Withnail

I´m worried this is the end of the season. The pandemi is tipped by experts to kick in for real in May and last through the whole summer, probable until October. Or until they come up with a vaccine.
Oh it probably is the end of the season. I was speaking more generally.

If it ends now he's probably done enough to be given more time imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.