Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lysglimt

Scout
No more excuses for Ole. If we cannot finish in the top 4 with a fully fit squad 9 games to go then we really have to think if he is the man for the job.

I want him to do well but at the end of the day results matter. We cannot keep talking about rebuild and he has had alot of money to spend with little improvement.

He has done well in getting a decent squad together but it means nothing if he cannot get them to win football matches. On paper now, this is one of the strongest squads around.
Sorry but this is way too simplified.

We can win 8 of our last 9 games in the league and easily still finish 5th if Chelsea have a strong finish to their season - which isn't impossible. Or we can win 6 and finish 4th if Chelsea has a poor finish to their season and no other contender shows a great form.

Table isn't the only thing determining his future.

b82REZ

My opinion hasn't changed and won't until the season is over.

Top 4 is the bare minimum especially with the squad we have and the money spent.

There is no excuse not to qualify for the CL and that had always been the barometer by which all previous post SAF managers have been judged, Ole needs to be judged to same standards.

I still think his naivety last summer set us back by at least a year in terms of the rebuild. Improvements were made in January but I do get a bit of a Dithering Dave vibe from him in the transfer window.

Fingers crossed he cracks it though because I love the man.

lysglimt

Scout
It should be up for debate. We had one month before lockdown where we looked quite good, but that is not enough to change people's opinions. There have been quite a lot of awful performances, some of which we were lucky to get a decent result from e.g. dominated by Sheffield United.

People also forget that we did not play very well against Everton, either. One of the last four games played. We started off well, but the second half was pretty abysmal. Even Fernandes was not very good in the second half.

Two of the following games were LASK and Derby; very weak opposition. The Man City win was good, but we still have not shown that we can consistently beat lower teams in the Premier League. After all, that is where most of the points are won.

Solskjaer needs to sort this out first. I don't think there has been enough time in terms of good results to show that he has turned it around.
We were superb in the first half against Everton - and we could have been 2 goals up despite DDG's howler. The second half was poor though

LASK Linz isn't very weak opposition - that is a joke of a comment. In the last 2 years in Europe - they have 3-1 on aggregate against AZ, 4-1 against PSV, 4-2 against Sporting, 5-2 against Basel, 2-2 againts Besiktas and 1-3 against Club Brugge
I can imagine a lot of teams in the P.L who would struggle to beat Az, PSV, Sporting, Basel and Besiktas over 2 legs.

And after the first 2 months of the seasons we have not had a LOT of awful performances - I would rather say we have had 3-4 (Burnley and Watford as the worst) - but we have also had 9-10 very good performances (Cityx2, Newcastle, Norwich, Lask, Brugge, Spurs, Chelsea, Watford,)

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
People really underestimate the time it takes to change a team from being one of the teams that runs the least, to the other end of the scale.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
People really underestimate the time it takes to change a team from being one of the teams that runs the least, to the other end of the scale.
I agree! I think it’s been a tough ride for Ole.

(On a side note: Had he not played for us and experienced the feeling of representing such a huge club I don’t think he would’ve lasted even this long as our manager. Or given the opportunity to.)

The state that Ole inherited the team in, was miles away from where they are now, and still not close enough to expectations.

To come in a period of transition, Ole has had to come in and reboot the culture of the club, from a slow paced system to a hard working adventurous kind that could truly epitomize our club ideology.
Not only did the team have to start running more, they had to adapt to a whole new environment.

While dealing with injuries to not one but various first team players simultaneously or at the same time!

And as a result, having to field some players who shouldn’t even be in contention to begin with.

Many of us fans who’ve actually watched the games in his tenure, will know how many times he was let down by the same ones who shouldn’t be in contention. He lost in mind on the touch line since players were not following given instructions on a repetitive basis.

Mourinho himself reiterated multiple times of further signings needed.
That just shows to me, that any other manager who could’ve come in place of Ole wouldn’t necessarily have done any better if put in the same scenario.
Atleast not if the ‘Special One’ couldn’t do it. Who, might I add, was only able to get his team to a best ever 2nd spot, 18 points behind 1st spot, and referred to that season as his best effort in a league.

As soon as we were able to sign all the players we have signed since Ole’s arrival, it’s been evidently clear that there was a serious lack of quality. For the blame to be shifted in majority to Ole is unfair.

For an entire squad to change their game style to a new one, requires a decent amount of time. And then some more, if injuries haven’t even allowed the starting 11 to ever play together.

For Ole’s own sake, I hope we qualify for the CL so we can give him another season. Even if that only happens at the expense of city getting banned.
Although I think we’ll probably beat Chelsea to the 4th spot anyway.

Last edited:

Gator Nate

Erm, you do realise he has played different formations?

3-5-2
4-2-3-1
4-1-2-1-2 narrow

You can play any formation, without a creative midfielder we will struggle in any formation.
It baffles me when people bring up his "stubbornness" with the 4-2-3-1. Especially for all the complaining his 3-5-2 gets ("It's really a 5-3-2, too defensive!"). Watching the games myself and having a pretty good feel for what he's expecting of his players, I've seen enough of Ole's tactics to know that a) he uses many formations, even within a single game and b) he knows his tactics, his personnel, and his opponents. I didn't think he got outcoached in the Burnley game, either; the players just didn't show up and it was painful to watch. He makes plenty of changes throughout the games, and when he doesn't, it's usually because he can't due to personnel issues. We didn't just go on that run after Bruno came in, we went on that run after Bruno AND Ighalo came in. Basically, in spite of a lack of creativity in the midfield and after one of our two best forwards went down, we maintained our place until quality reinforcements arrived. It should only get better from here.

One thing I will take exception with (and I'm about as Ole-in as they come) is the idea of giving a contract extension just for a top-4 finish. The contract is good for two more years. If he's still doing well (as I fully expect) after next season, then fine, offer the extension with a year remaining. But after, basically, one year of a three-year contract? That's just stupid no matter what, and is the kind of behavior that gets any professional team in trouble.

romufc

It baffles me when people bring up his "stubbornness" with the 4-2-3-1. Especially for all the complaining his 3-5-2 gets ("It's really a 5-3-2, too defensive!"). Watching the games myself and having a pretty good feel for what he's expecting of his players, I've seen enough of Ole's tactics to know that a) he uses many formations, even within a single game and b) he knows his tactics, his personnel, and his opponents. I didn't think he got outcoached in the Burnley game, either; the players just didn't show up and it was painful to watch. He makes plenty of changes throughout the games, and when he doesn't, it's usually because he can't due to personnel issues. We didn't just go on that run after Bruno came in, we went on that run after Bruno AND Ighalo came in. Basically, in spite of a lack of creativity in the midfield and after one of our two best forwards went down, we maintained our place until quality reinforcements arrived. It should only get better from here.

One thing I will take exception with (and I'm about as Ole-in as they come) is the idea of giving a contract extension just for a top-4 finish. The contract is good for two more years. If he's still doing well (as I fully expect) after next season, then fine, offer the extension with a year remaining. But after, basically, one year of a three-year contract? That's just stupid no matter what, and is the kind of behavior that gets any professional team in trouble.
Exactly, he is pretty flexible with his formations. Obviously, like most coaches he has a preferred system that he wants to play.
The Burnley game came after a run of very difficult games. We played games every 3/4 days, FA cup replay with Wolves, Liverpool away, Arsenal away and players get tired considering we were quite thin with the players then. If those occurrences are one off it is forgivable.

Unfortunately, we have had a few of them this season and although the manager has to take the flack but in my view there have been number of different reasons for this. 1. Injuries 2. loss of form for players like Lingard 3. Individual errors. Watford away, the DDG goal was shocking. Everton at home as well.
We have also conceded some worldie goals which is kind of annoying, you cannot do anything about them.

With all the credit Liverpool have got this season, all warranted but there are games I watch and there are fine lines. The chances some teams miss against them is crazy.

Paul_Scholes18

Exactly, he is pretty flexible with his formations. Obviously, like most coaches he has a preferred system that he wants to play.
The Burnley game came after a run of very difficult games. We played games every 3/4 days, FA cup replay with Wolves, Liverpool away, Arsenal away and players get tired considering we were quite thin with the players then. If those occurrences are one off it is forgivable.

Unfortunately, we have had a few of them this season and although the manager has to take the flack but in my view there have been number of different reasons for this. 1. Injuries 2. loss of form for players like Lingard 3. Individual errors. Watford away, the DDG goal was shocking. Everton at home as well.
We have also conceded some worldie goals which is kind of annoying, you cannot do anything about them.

With all the credit Liverpool have got this season, all warranted but there are games I watch and there are fine lines. The chances some teams miss against them is crazy.
He is not very flexible, although not not less so than other managers. We have looked good in the 3-4-1-2 formation that he has used in some big games . Less good in the 4-2-3-1 which we have mainly tried vs the weaker sides. It is not luck that we have struggled vs weaker sides for most of the season. Not enough quality attacking patterns have been coached into our team. We also have lacked creativity to do something outside what noone expected. Martial and Rashford has often been lost what to do.

Last edited:

romufc

He is not very flexible, although not not less so than other managers. We have looked good in the 3-4-1-2 formation that he has used in some big games . Less good in the 4-2-3-1 which we have mainly tried vs the weaker sides. It is not luck that we have struggled vs weaker sides for most of the season. Not enough quality attacking patterns have been coached into our team. We also have lacked creativity to do something outside noone expected. Martial and Rashford has often been lost what to do.
Well, this is really a no win situation. He tries to develop a formation for the team and patterns in that formation and fans complain he is stubborn.
If he keeps changing formation - fans will complain that he doesnt know what he is doing, he doesnt even know his best formation.

The 3 back only works for bigger games where we can counter attack.

Ofcourse we lack creativity, we knew that which is why Bruno was signed. Can you imagine how hard it is to coach patterns mid season? between November - February you cannot really coach things like that. You work in pre season to play Pogba, Martial Rashford and lose them for alot of the season has a big impact.

We struggle against lesser teams like Burnely.

De Gea; Wan-Bissaka, Maguire, Jones, Williams; Matic, Fred; Andreas, Mata, James; Martial

That was the line up. 2 Full backs who are relatively new to the PL. Fred and Matic are not creators, and they had played alot of games leading up to this game, fatigue kicks in. Mata is the only real creative player in that team.

Now when you have a team that sits back, you need players to pick locks, James is more of a counter attacking player.

If someone was to put the blame just on the manager, then there is a problem because, you can clearly see that the players are limited to what they can do.

Glorio

If we have a strong finish to the season (win 3/4 of matches for instance), and we still don't make the top four, I don't see how one can justify sacking Ole. We have no control over what Chelsea does.

Also, a team's improvement extends just beyond points and team position. Klopp wasn't exactly setting the world alight points-wise in his first season, but the improvement was clear to see.

I think with the team this season, there has been a marked improvement since January (you can attribute that to signings of course, but he made them), and it can't easily be written off as a fluke considering the calibre of opponents we put to sword, the level of performances from players old and new (it's the most balanced I've seen the team look in years), and the length of the run.

I've heard people call him stubborn or arrogant due to the lack of forward options. Well, to be fair Ole was tasked with a rebuilding job, so it would be harsh to hold him to task for letting Sanchez and Lukaku go and refusing to buy a centre forward if he thought they were a toxic influence, and didn't think the right player was available at the time.

Isn't trying to get players for immediate success without considering the long term health of the team what got us into this mess in the first place? We can't have it both ways, and bear in mind, because of where we currently are, we can't just go and get any player we want.

Also, if we brought another manager in, the same point holds, isn't having different managers with different footballing ideals from the club what got us here in the first place?

I think we persist, unless the rest of the seasons is an utter shambles - from a results and a performance level perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sultan

Paul_Scholes18

Well, this is really a no win situation. He tries to develop a formation for the team and patterns in that formation and fans complain he is stubborn.
If he keeps changing formation - fans will complain that he doesnt know what he is doing, he doesnt even know his best formation.

The 3 back only works for bigger games where we can counter attack.

Ofcourse we lack creativity, we knew that which is why Bruno was signed. Can you imagine how hard it is to coach patterns mid season? between November - February you cannot really coach things like that. You work in pre season to play Pogba, Martial Rashford and lose them for alot of the season has a big impact.

We struggle against lesser teams like Burnely.

De Gea; Wan-Bissaka, Maguire, Jones, Williams; Matic, Fred; Andreas, Mata, James; Martial

That was the line up. 2 Full backs who are relatively new to the PL. Fred and Matic are not creators, and they had played alot of games leading up to this game, fatigue kicks in. Mata is the only real creative player in that team.

Now when you have a team that sits back, you need players to pick locks, James is more of a counter attacking player.

If someone was to put the blame just on the manager, then there is a problem because, you can clearly see that the players are limited to what they can do.
I don't think fans have complained about flexibility with formation. People might complain that 3 central defenders is a bit too defensive, but we have good results with that formation.
It totally failed vs Sheffield, but he did change things around which worked in that game.

Yeah it might be hard to fully coach many attacking patterns with all the games we had, but we could have different instructions at least in how we should approch things.
Could be simple things like overloading certain areas on crosses and so on. Many things could be mental too and that is partly on the manager to see and try to improve.

We could blame players all we want and this forum certainly do. Although a manager and coaching staff can help to improve things with better instructions and coaching.
Pereira might not be good enough and Mata too old to be the creative players. Although could still do a job if the team around them functioned like a unit.

Let us see what happens now after the break. It has been a good time to work on attacking moves and try to coach the team in terms of breaking teams down.

romufc

I don't think fans have complained about flexibility with formation. People might complain that 3 central defenders is a bit too defensive, but we have good results with that formation.
It totally failed vs Sheffield, but he did change things around which worked in that game.

Yeah it might be hard to fully coach many attacking patterns with all the games we had, but we could have different instructions at least in how we should approch things.
Could be simple things like overloading certain areas on crosses and so on. Many things could be mental too and that is partly on the manager to see and try to improve.

We could blame players all we want and this forum certainly do. Although a manager and coaching staff can help to improve things with better instructions and coaching.
Pereira might not be good enough and Mata too old to be the creative players. Although could still do a job if the team around them functioned like a unit.

Let us see what happens now after the break. It has been a good time to work on attacking moves and try to coach the team in terms of breaking teams down.
I get where you are coming from. At the end of the day if you play for Manutd, you should be better than most Burnley players, so we should be beating them.

I do get where this pattern play comes from, we do not seem to have any attacking patterns, it seems alot down to individual brilliance.

I hope with better players on the pitch we look better attacking.

Paul_Scholes18

I get where you are coming from. At the end of the day if you play for Manutd, you should be better than most Burnley players, so we should be beating them.

I do get where this pattern play comes from, we do not seem to have any attacking patterns, it seems alot down to individual brilliance.

I hope with better players on the pitch we look better attacking.
I hope so too. Also hope we have had time to work on things now during the break.

Greck

It's all about seeing improvements. If the team starts trending towards playing to the sum of its parts then he has a case even if we miss out on top 4. If we still trend towards individual play then I won't even be surprised to see Bruno and Pogba become redundant in our midfield. Stacking talent has a sort of double nature that requires a manager to know what he's doing

SAFMUTD

I was Ole out before the break, and I still think we need a better manager. Lets take into account at the moment the premier league has the two best managers in the world in Pep and Klopp, so I think we need a world class coach if we want to join the race.

Now after saying that, I don't really see the use of sacking Ole in this moment anymore. The squad seems unified and with Rashford's and Pogba's return there will be no more excuses for Ole to perform. I think we should evaluate at the end of the season and more than if we get top 4 or not what we should expect if to see a clear identity from the team, true progress and a football style besides counterattacking football, if we dont achieve that then he needs to go.

At the moment it seems difficult to change managers because of the schedule and the uncertainty of next season, but 18 months its more than enough to evaluate a manager.

Mainoldo

'
Why do you want us to fail? Or hope we smash teams and people think Ole is the right man?
It's not going to be perfect I think we all know that.. On the plus side I like the debate. It's like looking forward to what Pogba is going to do. We know he's our best player but he's not going to have 9 amazing games in a row and therefore there will be a debate. Some people might look forward to that.

That make sense?

Paul_Scholes18

It's not going to be perfect I think we all know that.. On the plus side I like the debate. It's like looking forward to what Pogba is going to do. We know he's our best player but he's not going to have 9 amazing games in a row and therefore there will be a debate. Some people might look forward to that.

That make sense?
Yeah there is going to be debate for sure. I expect ups and downs. Hopefully more ups than downs.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Regardless of which side you're on, it's a bizarre debate to have right now.

tomaldinho1

If we have a strong finish to the season (win 3/4 of matches for instance), and we still don't make the top four, I don't see how one can justify sacking Ole. We have no control over what Chelsea does.

Also, a team's improvement extends just beyond points and team position. Klopp wasn't exactly setting the world alight points-wise in his first season, but the improvement was clear to see.

I think with the team this season, there has been a marked improvement since January (you can attribute that to signings of course, but he made them), and it can't easily be written off as a fluke considering the calibre of opponents we put to sword, the level of performances from players old and new (it's the most balanced I've seen the team look in years), and the length of the run.

I've heard people call him stubborn or arrogant due to the lack of forward options. Well, to be fair Ole was tasked with a rebuilding job, so it would be harsh to hold him to task for letting Sanchez and Lukaku go and refusing to buy a centre forward if he thought they were a toxic influence, and didn't think the right player was available at the time.

Isn't trying to get players for immediate success without considering the long term health of the team what got us into this mess in the first place? We can't have it both ways, and bear in mind, because of where we currently are, we can't just go and get any player we want.

Also, if we brought another manager in, the same point holds, isn't having different managers with different footballing ideals from the club what got us here in the first place?

I think we persist, unless the rest of the seasons is an utter shambles - from a results and a performance level perspective.
Aren't there 9 games to go? As much as I want to agree with this, I can't look past the fact that we easily have a top 4 squad and United don't exist in a bubble; results dictate everything.

I'm hopeful Ole can keep our momentum going, gets us to top 4, maybe goes far in a cup and then he's really earned that shot at another season. My fear with many United fans is that football is so emotional and the last result is always fresh in the mind, we don't step back and look at the season as whole and assess what's gone wrong, what's gone right and how to improve. Let's say we finish where we are and don't win any cups, I think the board will be speaking with other managers because our form just hasn't been good enough over the season as a whole (our current pts per game puts us on target for finishing the season on 58pts).

Web of Bissaka

Apologies late. No notifications.

Would it necessarily? Any team would suffer without a key player, but right now, Pogba can play that role if Bruno is injured. Even without Bruno the team won games against Spurs, City et. al. Pereira were playing the 10 role in the 4-1 against Newcastle.

There are two schools of thought regarding tactics. Adapting to circumstances or sticking to a system. Neither are wrong, as history shows.
1) Not necessarily, but high likely it would. Based on how we fare in that system with and without Pogba this season.
The few games Pogba played this season pre-Bruno, we didn't actually play well (except season opener vs Chelsea). Even with Pogba, we struggled to break down defenses.
2) Pogba can but likely Ole won't play him there. Never did. The current system "necessitates" Pogba to be more discipline which is limiting his attacking contributions. Actually for me, even with Bruno now, Pogba is more "limited" when attacking, compare to his performances with Herrera and Matic last season in advance centre-midfield role where he's free to go all-out rampaging through defenses. It's a trade off I suppose for the team. Still good impressive attacking contributions mind, but for me, we could've use his attacking and scoring talents more.
3) We have zero problems vs top teams, big game raisers.
4) Let's consider the most of the games we struggled in games with the likes of AP, JLingz and Mata there. We're basically playing with 10 men majority of the games.

Agree with you last point. Finding a balance with both method is for me the best way. I don't think we should stick with only either one. Thing is, I much prefer's Ole's approaches last season than this season, he was very proactive in regards to the system. He made necessary adjustments in response to the availability of players due to injuries and freshness/fitness. Stick to a system only if its the best and have all the tools --> thing is we just don't the 1st half of this season. Isn't it "odd" to stick with an essentially failed system? Easy to say everything is okay now, once he finally hit a jackpot in the form of Bruno who fit that system so well and made it works.

Erm, you do realise he has played different formations?

3-5-2
4-2-3-1
4-1-2-1-2 narrow

You can play any formation, without a creative midfielder we will struggle in any formation.
Yes, I know and remember those games.
4231 is still the main one, which we used in majority of the games.

Therefore getting more creative midfielders (relying on just one is just "odd") should be one of the early necessity. Alternatively is to use creative players who are not a midfielder. We do have that kind of players isn't it within the first and youth teams, but Ole decided to not "try" them and stick with continue trusting the "trio" who kept on failing. To "balance" those players because of their weaknesses eg. defensively, then change of system may be considered.

1) Which players?
2) I think that was due to the fact that our midfield wasn’t geared or good enough to play other formations? Specially without Pogba and McT (who was out for quite some time as well). But which other formations would you have preferred?

In my opinion, due to the lack of quality available in midfield and up front for most parts of this season, it would’ve been a risk to try other formations in general.
1) Lingard, Pereira, Gomes, Matic (earlier, he's basically down the pecking order, rumored to be leaving even), etc. But I do get it may has to do with performances behind the scenes eg. in trainings, disciplinary issues, etc. Still, playing favoritism is just..... it's only reasonable if the player is performing. Don't get me wrong, I'm impressed with his management of other players, those are reasonably fine and especially the likes of Williams is just awesome... and who else? Greenwood is definitely moving in due to the CF/ST and RW slots opening up so just Williams.

2) I can't accept most of the other midfielders are that "limited". Surely the likes of Fred, Matic, Pereira, Mata and even gamble on the likes of Gomes, Garner, etc have all different sorts of skill sets, which needs certain roles in different systems to actually make the "certain skills" clicks to be our main weapon. Anyway, it has less to do with formation, and more with lineup, roles and taking risks more with certain players. Eg. a) since the trio senior players are failing at #10, gamble risk on Gomes, b) try Pereira on RW, c) play Greenwood more on RW (introducing him slowly is fine, but then he's far man enough than many of the senior players), d) just scrap the #10 system altogether and play with 3 man midfield instead with the likes of Fred, McT, Matic, Garner, Pereira, etc <-- those will bring Matic in earlier, and may even help settle Garner in better who is claimed to impress in trainings thus potentially could surprises us in games, could even be the answer to our problem at that time. There are plenty of other ideas. To not try new things and let things escalate losing more and more points is just pointless for me. Better try and try plus make mistakes along the way than not trying at all. The latter is putting in effort, the former is just leave it to rubbish luck. You make your own luck.

Fair enough, I do get it's a risk, experimenting at that stage is risky. But you know, if it doesn't work, then why persist for too long? Try different ways earlier before the damages are too much. Just a quick examples of the top of my head, if I recall correctly Conte's first season at Chelsea, he started with a 433 system was it? it was a bad run, then he changed it to 3-5-2 and variations of that, and then they went on that impressive run of form. The 3-?-? systems became popular. Anyway, point is, he made those changes early before things gets worse i.e. losing more precious points.

I also get that being in Ole's shoe, he had to make the big hard decisions, pressure of being a United manager... then again ever since Ole got this job permanently, starting last season, he has been making more and more "safer" decisions, there are still plenty enough of good rational decisions that are spot on of course, but then there's the "stubborn persistence" on decisions that just doesn't work or works less effectively. It's contrast to when he's the caretaker, proactive and dare to make the risky yet positive thinking decisions <-- it was awesome because it's very daring, and not really "rational" eg. dropping a proven 20 goal strikers, playing fresh new youngsters instead of proven elite players despite the form, and we went on that amazing run (ignore the results, and yes, there are other factors such as players motivations, morale, etc, even if we had bad results, I would still support those decisions of his).

---

:DAnyhow, all those are in the past, and just my two++ cents. Let's move on. Hope Ole will learned a lot from those experiences and improve his managing and leadership. I don't mind manager "learning on the job". Manager that doesn't improve is boring. It's not just players that improves (and the opposite - gets worse). I'm worried if the same thing happen again. So far the current "manager Ole" is heavily reliance on individual players especially with this 4231 system, which may speaks volume about his "coaching prowess" ?? His (and his managing team's) good tactical prowess is only on show when he "play around" with the systems, but those are only specific games.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I've not really veered from my preseason expectations - top 4 and continue the rebuild but if we don't finish top 4 (unless it's coupled by a cup win or 2, then you'd need to take that into consideration), i think he should go.

I don't think anyone expected us to catch City and Pool this season, but top 4 was/is more than achievable - considering the teams around us. All teams from 3-7 have faced similar challenges: new managers, blooding in youngsters, injuries, inconsistency etc. so i didn't think it was an impossible ask, certainly also not after spending 130m on shoring up the defence.

I've been through periods where i didn't feel Ole could take us any further forward, but since our form has turned around, i have a renewed hope for him. He's done some really great stuff for which he deserves credit (he's a legend, culture at the club seems positive, signings have been pretty spot on etc.). So I hope we push on and get that top 4/back into the UCL and he can continue his rebuild and hopefully add the finishing touches (eg. Sancho for the RW). Because if OGS could be successful here, the flipside for us is massive because of his love for the club.

Litch

Might be stating the obvious but I think unlike say Arsenal, we have players that are good enough to be pushing top 3. Can only look at the manager if we do not.

lysglimt

Scout
Might be stating the obvious but I think unlike say Arsenal, we have players that are good enough to be pushing top 3. Can only look at the manager if we do not.
We do have now - but at the end of the day - we can win 6 of our last 7 games and still end 6th (not likely but it could happen)

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Some posters would have you believe that Ole should be sacked if we don't make the top 4. Even if we play like this for the rest of the games and miss the top 4 on GD or by a single point. Because Real or Barca would.

Wonder if those guys are about tonight.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm definitely coming around to the idea of giving him time now. I've also watched a number of games he managed in Molde during the lockdown and if he can implement the same style here,(high press) we will at the very least watch some swashbuckling football in time. He will need fresh blood though to complete the transformation. But in the mean time I think we have more than enough against the lesser sides like Brighton and I expect to win all our league games at a canter with maybe Leicester being the only difficult one on paper.

I think with Bruno and Pogba in tandem and the rest of our attackers we will have too much for most teams in the league.

Stadjer

I'm definitely coming around to the idea of giving him time now. I've also watched a number of games he managed in Molde during the lockdown and if he can implement the same style here,(high press) we will at the very least watch some swashbuckling football in time. He will need fresh blood though to complete the transformation. But in the mean time I think we have more than enough against the lesser sides like Brighton and I expect to win all our league games at a canter with maybe Leicester being the only difficult one on paper.

I think with Bruno and Pogba in tandem and the rest of our attackers we will have too much for most teams in the league.
Ole played high press at Molde? Im not sure if a high press is a good idea with Maguire as a centre back though...

forevrared

Genuinely haven’t had this much fun watching United since Fergie left. There were times when turning on matches felt like a chore. Not anymore.

Obviously it’s still somewhat early days, but Bruno has completely transformed the entire club and has to be the best signing we’ve made in nearly a decade.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ole played high press at Molde? Im not sure if a high press is a good idea with Maguire as a centre back though...
Played a very aggressive high press at Molde from what I saw. You score 2 we'll score 3 mentality. Did concede quite a few though but I'd rather watch that type of football than the stuff we saw under Mourinho.

Our CBs could be a problem but that is the reason I believe having a mobile DM is key to providing the defensive balance. Because against quality teams a immobile DM will be targeted in such a high risk strategy. Klopp, Rose Nagelsmann all play dynamic midfielders in their setup to provide the balance and even Ole did the same at Molde.

And if you look at our European Cup winning teams in 99 and 08, we had dynamic midfielders in Keane, Butt etc and Hargreaves in 08 who provided the legs in midfield to provide the balance defensively. Hargreaves for example was deployed on the right of midfield to allow the attackers freedom to hurt Chelsea. A Roy Keane type fits the style like a glove. If the prospective DM can pass to a high level that's a bonus but he has to be dynamic in the role to thwart quick counters which will be a big danger against fast attackers.

CM

I'm really happy to see things starting to fall into place for him. It's been said before but we've had rotten luck with injuries this season and this is the first time since about August or September where all our key players have been available for a consistent run without having to rely on the likes of Lingard and Pereira.

Obviously the arrival of Bruno has played a part too. Another 2 or 3 key signings and I think we could be well on our way to achieving something with this team.

Tel074

I'm not sure how many season ticket holders we have but I'd guess 90% of us are Ole in no matter how this season ends .
We have alot of spoiled fans who think anything other than winning a treble is a disaster. I grew up in the 80,s when we where shit so I don't have the sense of entitlement which some younger fans have . I've been a season ticket holder for 25 years and I can hand on heart say this is my favourite team since our last title winning team and that's totally down to Ole .

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
After the last couple of weeks I think I'd safely give him next season, clear out the deadwood from his squad and give him 3 quality players in the summer.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
What I like most about Ole so far is that he’s getting his team selection spot on!

I was assuming that he’d prefer Fred or McT to Matic but I like how he understands what Matic brings to the game. I also had reservations about Matic in the past but he has improved his game and I’m happy that he’s getting his deserved start.

I also like how he has begun starting Greenwood instead of James. I know it’s far fetched but if we don’t end up signing Sancho, I’d legit be okay with us giving more time to Greenwood and let James be the backup. I think it’s vital that we don’t disrupt his progress or delay his momentum. That’s not to say that we don’t need more backup in the forward positions but I hope Greenwood is given preference.

I have also recently noticed that Shaw & AWB have improved their game when going forward. Perhaps it’s all down to coaching.

I had serious issues with Mourinho’s team selections sometimes and when Ole took over, I was optimistic that if he gets his team selection right and doesn’t let his ego influence his decisions, he’d be satisfied with his selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.