Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lysglimt

Scout
Why is it arrogant or stupid to state facts? We were terrible at the time with awful performances & results? Are you disputing that?

Yes it’s obviously much better at this moment (Bournemouth game withstanding as we didn’t look structured or well managed then) & now I’ve said it could be a reasonable choice to keep or replace him.

Are you saying people aren’t allowed to have opinions or change minds throughout a managers tenure? That sounds to me like you’re Ole in & always will be despite the performances/results
Oh I have no problems with people stating that Ole should go because our results were poor - because he made tactical mistakes, because he signed the wrong players - but your way or arguing has always been ridiculing everyone who thought differently than you. There are several people here who were just as much Ole-out as you were that I respect because they actually made decent Points - even if I didnt agree with them. You are just a joke

Rafaeldagold

Oh I have no problems with people stating that Ole should go because our results were poor - because he made tactical mistakes, because he signed the wrong players - but your way or arguing has always been ridiculing everyone who thought differently than you. There are several people here who were just as much Ole-out as you were that I respect because they actually made decent Points - even if I didnt agree with them. You are just a joke
No I was never to ridicule anyone, it was that at that time of poor poor performances & results people were being way over the top in their praise for him still in some cult like manner- but of course just show my responses of course to suit your agenda.

Not really sure why you’re dragging up old posts to try & look smug now we’re playing well again but if it makes you feel better then good for you.

ReddBalls

It was dire football, results & performances.

Well the explanation for the turnaround could be what you mentioned, or the fact Bruno has come in and has been phenomenal, raising the performances of everyone around him.
Hard to disagree about the results at the time. The tide actually started turning before Bruno, but he had an enormous impact. Ole's system had been screaming for a player of his ilk all season, so I was not surprised the team found another level with him instead of Pereira. There have been signs his whole tenure, from the unbeaten run at the start, his big game record and the odd game in the bad period (Newcastle, Norwich, Burnley).

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
He was awful at that time, as performances & results testified. I still don’t think he’s the best manager we can have, but we’ll see with time how successful he is.

There’s no way you could’ve seen things going in the right direction from those performances- that’s just someone who’s Ole in & always will be. If you’re not going to criticise him then , then when will you??

Since the introduction of Bruno it’s changed completely.
You not being able to see what's right in front of you says many things about you. You still defending that point of view now, says even more about you.

Rafaeldagold

You not being able to see what's right in front of you says many things about you. You still defending that point of view now, says even more about you.
What do you mean? Defending my point that ole’s management during our awful period was dire & performances and results were boring & pathetic- Yes that’s still true now.

Things are much better now obviously - Yes. With the introduction of Bruno a game changer.

So not really sure what your point is

Gator Nate

No I was never to ridicule anyone, it was that at that time of poor poor performances & results people were being way over the top in their praise for him still in some cult like manner- but of course just show my responses of course to suit your agenda.

Not really sure why you’re dragging up old posts to try & look smug now we’re playing well again but if it makes you feel better then good for you.
Well, I can't agree if this was what you said about those of us who supported Ole:

"You must either be an opposition fan or hold very stupid ideas. As anyone who still supports Ole has to be one of the two now"

Yes, we had some bad results as a result of poor play on the pitch, but most of us with some football knowledge could take injuries and lack of depth into account, and did so. That's not opposition and it's not stupid. It's reason.

The smugness from you (as exhibited by those quotes he pulled up) when bad things were happening was appalling. The fact that you cling to it is no less so.

Rafaeldagold

Well, I can't agree if this was what you said about those of us who supported Ole:

"You must either be an opposition fan or hold very stupid ideas. As anyone who still supports Ole has to be one of the two now"

Yes, we had some bad results as a result of poor play on the pitch, but most of us with some football knowledge could take injuries and lack of depth into account, and did so. That's not opposition and it's not stupid. It's reason.

The smugness from you (as exhibited by those quotes he pulled up) when bad things were happening was appalling. The fact that you cling to it is no less so.
The smugness you yourself have is shining through right now..

His results & performances should have led to a sacking yes, but he’s been lucky enough to stay & Bruno has changed the whole dynamic. I hope Ole goes onto lead us into great things of course- but I have my doubts but let’s see. And as I’ve said repeatedly if he stays fine let’s see if he can do better next season, if not I still think there are better managers out there.

Gator Nate

His results & performances should have led to a sacking yes, but he’s been lucky enough to stay & Bruno has changed the whole dynamic. I hope Ole goes onto lead us into great things of course- but I have my doubts but let’s see. And as I’ve said repeatedly if he stays fine let’s see if he can do better next season, if not I still think there are better managers out there.
No. Had those come with a fully established squad of his own making, maybe, but he hadn't even been at the helm for a full season at that point. He was grinding things out with sub-standard squad options. Thankfully, those who actually make the decisions knew what he was doing and took a slightly longer view than the likes of you. Frankly, I think those results were not unexpected, as Ole had only had one transfer window at that point. But even before Bruno came along, as has been pointed out, things had mostly stabilized and the coaching of the available players had already started showing good.

Verminator

Quotes attributed to you:
Astoundingly stupid logic.
Haha deluded as hell. We’re unbelievably boring
What kind of stupid question is that. Of course not.
No big club in world football would put up with this shite & awful manager.
Jeez you lot are pathetic & can’t take criticism of Ole
Very odd. You think you’re a better fan or something for supporting a woeful, boring & underachieving manager?. Now that’s pathetic & cowardly
You must either be an opposition fan or hold very stupid ideas. As anyone who still supports Ole has to be one of the two now
You lot who support Ole deserve this shite we’re in to be honest

Are you saying people aren’t allowed to have opinions or change minds throughout a managers tenure? That sounds to me like you’re Ole in & always will be despite the performances/results
Either you are another level of WUM, or have serious issues around self-awareness.
Either way, this should be the first step in re-evaluating the direction you are going.

I'll judge you the same way you should judge Ole.
Improve and all is good, but if I judge you by your previous record, you're a lost cause.

Tarrou

amazing that some of the Ole outers are still in here defending their position from six months ago.

Jesus lads give it a break we’re in amazing form, just enjoy it

He ain’t getting sacked any time soon

romufc

Either you are another level of WUM, or have serious issues around self-awareness.
Either way, this should be the first step in re-evaluating the direction you are going.

I'll judge you the same way you should judge Ole.
Improve and all is good, but if I judge you by your previous record, you're a lost cause.
Alot of short term memories. You judge things at the time. I was a massive Ole fan but the performances and results were not good enough at the time.

If Ole got sacked after Burnley, I would have understood it at the time even thought I thought give him the season.

No one can predict what will happen, we are lucky with Covid so we can have a fully fit squad.

I have seen it on other threads where some posters are going back to see what posters said and how people have changed their minds.

We support the club and the manager but when the results are not good enough, questions have to be asked about the manager likewise when they are good people will praise the manager.

Verminator

Alot of short term memories. You judge things at the time. I was a massive Ole fan but the performances and results were not good enough at the time.

If Ole got sacked after Burnley, I would have understood it at the time even thought I thought give him the season.

No one can predict what will happen, we are lucky with Covid so we can have a fully fit squad.

I have seen it on other threads where some posters are going back to see what posters said and how people have changed their minds.

We support the club and the manager but when the results are not good enough, questions have to be asked about the manager likewise when they are good people will praise the manager.
I don't get why you have quoted me to make this point.

My post was highlighting the hypocrisy of pillioring, in an arrogant and insulting manner, other people for their opinions, and then claiming that he has a right to his.

If you look through this thread, you'll see i had arguments with people who wanted Ole out.
I have not dug any of their quotes out, because they were usually civil, and it is not the sort of thing I do anyway.

Last edited:

Rafaeldagold

A sensible logical post. You won’t fit in around here I’m afraid

mu4c_20le

It's funny how you still can't admit to being wrong. And the fact that you keep accusing others of being smug, suggests that you are probably taking this a bit more personal than you should, and maybe it's pride holding you back from accepting what's in front of you. Sure, Ole was 'lucky' with the covid break to get his injured players back, and Bruno's arrival, even though he should have been here in the summer. The same way Fergie was lucky with the cup. No doubt you would have called for his head back then.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Don't have a dog in this fight, but I'm curious as to how many people would change their mind if, despite great performances from here on out, through bad luck, we miss out on CL qualification (City win appeal, Pogba sent off in EL final, we drop points in 1 game)

Tarrou

Don't have a dog in this fight, but I'm curious as to how many people would change their mind if, despite great performances from here on out, through bad luck, we miss out on CL qualification (City win appeal, Pogba sent off in EL final, we drop points in 1 game)
I’d definitely stick with him. He hasn’t been perfect but we were in a right mess when he took over, and we’re heading in the right direction it seems. I like the style of football now, I like how he’s managed the young players, and I like his transfers. Lots to like, basically!

Withnail

He's definitely done enough to stay in my mind regardless of what happens from here one out, especially as there's no real break before next season.

Anyone who changes their mind and would want him gone because of sheer bad luck like that needs their head examined.

BestRed

"Cut through us with ease". "Not structured".

How on earth do you get one without the other?

Not you in particular but why are our own fans highlighting this game as if it was somehow a close and evenly tied match with out defense being a glaring problem area?

A few things:

Bornemouth play in the Premier League, they are not a BAD football team, regardless of their league position, on a good day they can beat anyone. Every team in the Premier League can beat any team if they're not playing well, that's happene multiple tims this season alone. Even Liverpool got a clobbering against Watford. And remember we lost to this team earlier in the season.

Their 1-0 goal was the first goal we've conceded in the Premier League in open play at Old Trafford in 500 minutes of gametime.

The penalty awarded was just a ridiculous "not in a million years" freak mistake.

Saying that Bornemouth was not structured is doing Manchester United a bit of a disservice. A Premier League team doesn't just become a mess of a pub team, they become that way because the other team are playing their socks off. Our midfield and wingbacks are playing out of their minds currently, and long may it continue.

We retained possession 72% of this game. With 15 shot attempts, 10 of which hit the goal, with 5 in the back of the net. To illustrate how much Bornemouth were struggling to contain us, they created 12 free kicks, most of which on their own half.

Yes they scored 2 goals, one from a penalty that is awarded once every 5 seasons because just how often is Eric Bailly going to just hands the ball on a pass back during normal play? The 1-0 goal was absolutely shoddy defending but I'm going to give them a pass for that, for the aforementioned 500 minutes of 0 goals conceded, and the 43-6 goal difference over the past 16 games.
Great post, and if anything for me this game was an even more satisfactory result than any of the rest lately, cause it showed the resilience is back in the team.

There was no panic after going a goal down or even after the poxy penalty was given, as they knew they had it in them to go on and score more goals. Similar to under Fergie when it was often not a great plan for the opposition to score first as it just got us going more.

Rafaeldagold

Great post, and if anything for me this game was an even more satisfactory result than any of the rest lately, cause it showed the resilience is back in the team.

There was no panic after going a goal down or even after the poxy penalty was given, as they knew they had it in them to go on and score more goals. Similar to under Fergie when it was often not a great plan for the opposition to score first as it just got us going more.
Come on, we’ve played well last few months but the Bournemouth game isn’t one of those games.

We didn’t look structured & Bournemouth were cutting through us way too easily.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Come on, we’ve played well last few months but the Bournemouth game isn’t one of those games.

Bournemouth cut through us easily but managed a grand total of 7 shots including a penalty. Not a single shot after the penalty in the 49th minute.

BestRed

That's football, there's always going to be a certain amount of chances for the other team too, we can't have it all our own way.

The 1st goal was a shitty one to give away alright, but the penalty for me should never have been given. We had something like 70% posession with around 20 chances of our own, a quarter of them scored. Yeah I thought it was a great game.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'd love to know what Ole should do to convince some of our fans who still believe that he isn't doing a good job.

1. On the results front, we've improved a lot. The poor end to last season can be justified to our players lacking fitness levels that Ole's play style demanded and the subpar form in autumn can be attributed to injury issues.
2. On the performances front as well, we've improved a lot. I don't believe the performances in the 1st half of the season were bad, it was more that we were unlucky as we were having some worldies go in against us. Irrespective, we're playing some of the best football we've played in the post Ronaldo days and smaller teams are genuinely scared of us, which wasn't the case under Mou or LVG
3. Transfers have been fantastic. Among the best windows we've had in a very long time where all the players have seamlessly into the side and Bruno, Maguire and AWB are all contenders for club's POTY award.
4. The general atmosphere around the club has never been better. Even when we weren't getting the results, you didn't hear players questioning the manager's tactics and all, which means that the players back Ole and trust him that he's doing a good job.

Reactions: Livvie

mancave bear

Som fans have understood the bigger pictures. Seen what Ole have done, and understood that what he does eventually will make us a great team. But that it will take time. No manager (not even Pep or Klopp) wood get top results with the team that was at Oles disposel before christmas.

Thats why we did not complain. Thats why we still suported him. And its been extremely irritating to have to put up with the jamering and wining from the lesser enlightend fans, when the results did not go our way.

Since Bruno arrived we have been the best team in the league, getting more points than both Liverpool and City.

And still some fans dont think we can challenge for the top if we get 3-4 new players.

It would be crazy to sack Ole right now or to sack him before next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sultan

Amarsdd

I'd love to know what Ole should do to convince some of our fans who still believe that he isn't doing a good job.

1. On the results front, we've improved a lot. The poor end to last season can be justified to our players lacking fitness levels that Ole's play style demanded and the subpar form in autumn can be attributed to injury issues.
2. On the performances front as well, we've improved a lot. I don't believe the performances in the 1st half of the season were bad, it was more that we were unlucky as we were having some worldies go in against us. Irrespective, we're playing some of the best football we've played in the post Ronaldo days and smaller teams are genuinely scared of us, which wasn't the case under Mou or LVG
3. Transfers have been fantastic. Among the best windows we've had in a very long time where all the players have seamlessly into the side and Bruno, Maguire and AWB are all contenders for club's POTY award.
4. The general atmosphere around the club has never been better. Even when we weren't getting the results, you didn't hear players questioning the manager's tactics and all, which means that the players back Ole and trust him that he's doing a good job.
get sacked, most probably, just so they are proven right.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
After 17 games unbeaten, looking well situated to make the top four, still in two cup competitions, and the team playing the best football we've seen since the great man was in charge, is there anyone left who still doubts him?

Anyone?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I do. We've not got top 4 secured and we didn't get it last season after an even better run. You don't judge a manager on one-off streaks but on full seasons (albeit this one has been weird).

I am firm in that my opinion will be made based on the table at the end of season. People should stop kneejerking because we're on a roll after being absolutely dire earlier in the season.

One thing that has never been beyond doubt though is his ability to get players on his side and instill positivity in the team. What's really stopping him from getting my full confidence is the lack of proper coaching support and the fact we're still lacking a full team of good players, which is not his fault.

TrueRed79

Changed my vote to keep. Don't mind admitting i got it wrong. Genuinely thought he was done after the Burnley game. The impact of Bruno cannot be understated in all this. Mental that we didn't sign him last summer. Best Utd team since Fergie.

Kag

I do. We've not got top 4 secured and we didn't get it last season after an even better run. You don't judge a manager on one-off streaks but on full seasons (albeit this one has been weird).

I am firm in that my opinion will be made based on the table at the end of season. People should stop kneejerking because we're on a roll after being absolutely dire earlier in the season.
You judge them based on progress. We’re making it. The only kneejerking I can detect is your insinuation that you will assess Ole’s suitability for the job based on black and white metrics like top four.

Rightnr

You judge them based on progress. We’re making it. The only kneejerking I can detect is your insinuation that you will assess Ole’s suitability for the job based on black and white metrics like top four.
As opposed to judging him based on how many smiles he has during an interview?

We should be a club that is used to winning (or were, some people seem to have forgotten). Winning trophies is all about results, if nothing else.

These threads genuinelly are a place for kneejerkers of the day to bash people with opinions who are different than theirs.

You should also look up what kneejerk means. There's nothing kneejerk about setting a target at the start of the season and using it as a yardstick to measure achievement at the end of the season.

I had the same thinking when we gave him the permanent job before getting top 4 last year. Making good decisions is about level heads, not emotional kneejerking.

Kag

As opposed to judging him based on how many smiles he has during an interview?

We should be a club that is used to winning (or were, some people seem to have forgotten). Winning trophies is all about results, if nothing else.

These threads genuinelly are a place for kneejerkers of the day to bash people with opinions who are different than theirs.

You should also look up what kneejerk means. There's nothing kneejerk of setting a target at the start of the season and using it as a yardstick to measure achievement at the end of the season.
No. It’s based upon clear and obvious progress. It’s based upon the sensible acknowledgement that the squad is a happy camp and that the last thing we need is unnecessary disruption.

I don’t need educating with regard to word definitions. It’s overwhelmingly clear that the progress we are making is not going to be evident through the lens of a final league table; our start to the season was too poor and we’ve since added the likes of Bruno and Pogba to the squad.

I’m not interested in what happened before Christmas. I don’t think it’s in any way relevant and we’re a completely different side. Catch on and enjoy it.

VivaJesperBlomqvist

Changed my vote to keep. Don't mind admitting i got it wrong. Genuinely thought he was done after the Burnley game. The impact of Bruno cannot be understated in all this. Mental that we didn't sign him last summer. Best Utd team since Fergie.
Same. Changed my vote too. Love being proven wrong as he is a club legend after all. Just shows that giving managers time can be so important sometimes. He’s doing a wonderful job.

sport2793

One thing that has never been beyond doubt though is his ability to get players on his side and instill positivity in the team. What's really stopping him from getting my full confidence is the lack of proper coaching support and the fact we're still lacking a full team of good players, which is not his fault.
This run is significantly better than last season.

Rightnr

No. It’s based upon clear and obvious progress. It’s based upon the sensible acknowledgement that the squad is a happy camp and that the last thing we need is unnecessary disruption.

I don’t need educating with regard to word definitions. It’s overwhelmingly clear that the progress we are making is not going to be evident through the lens of a final league table; our start to the season was too poor and we’ve since added the likes of Bruno and Pogba to the squad.

I’m not interested in what happened before Christmas. I don’t think it’s in any way relevant and we’re a completely different side. Catch on and enjoy it.
Definitely relevant point since you are accusing me of kneejerking, all the while being ignorant what the phrase means.

Progress is well and good and that is why I said I'd let him have the end of the season. I voted for immediate sack before, so I have moved, just not as much as others on here.

This run is significantly better than last season.
Really not sure about that. I don't have time to go dig up stats now (might do it tomorrow) but that run under Ole at the start until the Arse loss was amazing.

We literally won every game, except Burnley, where we came back from 2 goals down, and drew with Liverpool after getting 3 injuries 30 minutes in (could have won it at the death). We also beat Chelsea away in the FA cup and then went on to beat PSG.

Herrera got injured and the team fell apart. It feels similar now in that we have a great first 11 but not so much a geat bench (although better).

United58

After 17 games unbeaten, looking well situated to make the top four, still in two cup competitions, and the team playing the best football we've seen since the great man was in charge, is there anyone left who still doubts him?

Anyone?
I don't, I'm loving this, but we have to finish the season strong, have a good window (Sancho?) and keep pushing next season and beyond. This can't turn out to be another purple patch that goes nowhere - although our squad is dripping in attacking quality ATM.

Definitely need a very good defender to partner Maguire, Lindlof is shaky (not that Maguire's all that solid) and awful in the air

Kag

Definitely relevant point since you are accusing me of kneejerking, all the while being ignorant what the phrase means.

Progress is well and good and that is why I said I'd let him have the end of the season. I voted for immediate sack before, so I have moved, just not as much as others on here.
You insinuate that your assessment of Ole boils down to what is essentially four games. At best, it’s kneejerk, short-sighted and displays a failure to take into account the clear and obvious progress the club has made. At worst, it’s stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.