Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
This thread is like a collection of posters trying to prove they are the biggest idiot. Idiot checklist:
1- Bring back Mourinho (tick)
2- Ole is a PE teacher (tick)
3- “Needs to get 200% out the player”. What on earth do you think he’s done! (tick)

What does it take some of you guys to change your mind. This is the best football we have played since Ronaldo was in the team I firmly believe that and I don’t see any signs at all that we are suddenly going to become crap again. In fact providing we recruit smartly, this team has clearly got some extra levels in the tank which will see us compete for top honours.

E-mal

We have to finish in top 4 this season and perhaps compete for the title for at least up to week 30 next season, then thats progress. If by next season we are still struggling to make UCL then it should be the end for him.

goatboy

It's been interesting lurking around this thread for the past six or seven months and watching it literally swing back and forth before lurching hard into "Ole out" prior to the lock-down and now swinging hard in the opposite direction since we've returned and have put together a nice run of results.

From my perspective the results just prior to lock-down and after, plus the style of play improving, sealed the deal in respect of Ole getting at least another season at the helm; I'm not totally sold on the idea he can take us back to challenging and winning the major titles but I think on reflection we just have to get used to the fact there have been (and are) a couple of excellent Managers at the helm of our rivals and accept we've taken more than a few missteps since the Wizard retired which put us further behind, so therefore by default this will extend the overall time it will take any manager to rebuild a team that will challenge consistently.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
This thread is like a collection of posters trying to prove they are the biggest idiot. Idiot checklist:
1- Bring back Mourinho (tick)
2- Ole is a PE teacher (tick)
3- “Needs to get 200% out the player”. What on earth do you think he’s done! (tick)

What does it take some of you guys to change your mind. This is the best football we have played since Ronaldo was in the team I firmly believe that and I don’t see any signs at all that we are suddenly going to become crap again. In fact providing we recruit smartly, this team has clearly got some extra levels in the tank which will see us compete for top honours.

Some fans will never get past the 'PE teacher', 'Cardiff City manager' references with our manager even though we've played the best football post-Fergie. All Ole needs now is a trophy just to silence the last of his haters.

Yet they will rave about Poch (who never won a thing in 5 years at Spurs) and pine over big names even though some of the so-called big names like Mourinho and Ancelotti are proving that you are only a big name when managing in 2-team leagues or a club with unlimited resources.

I don't understand how they expect Ole not to have bad runs in a season. Assuming you're never going to have a bad run in a season, any team would just win the league every single year. And we all know that never happens. We're competing for honours right up to the end of this season and playing the best football we have played in years. We are hated and feared again and are currently the Premier League form side with a record broken on Thursday.

I just don't understand what more people expect. I don't expect to win things every year so for me, I am very happy with OGS and our current status. There's no way he's going anywhere so people just need to get used to it.

On a side note, I think it's fecking hilarious that the Ole Outers have had their negative posts in their draft folders for the last 20 weeks. It must be fecking killing them seeing us on such a good run. :D

Number32

I don't understand where the "Ole can not be a serial winners" narrative came from. Have you all watched his game at Molde? I know it's just Norwegian league, but during lock down period it is worth watching. Ole was carrying a 'Spurs' of that league to be a champion despite a bad start at the beginning of the 2011 season. The next season? He did it again. But.. but.. it's just a minor league right? Do they have a well-known the clubs beside Rosenborg? Yeah we got the point of this questions, but Did any 'serial winner' managers had to start from the bottom too?
  • Mourinho: A good spell at Benfica, but the board didn't trust him. Next season he was carrying a mid table club to sit above Porto in the first half of the season, then Porto though "May be we could rob their coach and sacked ours" and they did it. Imagine if Porto's board though "he's just a mid table coach not a serial winner"
  • Klopp: He started in second tier of Bundesliga, needed 3 years before being promoted, then guiding them to qualify for UEFA Cup. Imagine if Dortmund's board though "he's just a mid table coach not a serial winner"
We are neither Dortmund or Porto, but both had enjoyed the success by trusting a non-serial winner coach, and gave them a fair chance to build a title winner team. If Ole has done a good job to build the squad and playing attractive football, then he has to stay.

Some fans will never get past the 'PE teacher', 'Cardiff City manager' references with our manager even though we've played the best football post-Fergie. All Ole needs now is a trophy just to silence the last of his haters.

Yet they will rave about Poch (who never won a thing in 5 years at Spurs) and pine over big names even though some of the so-called big names like Mourinho and Ancelotti are proving that you are only a big name when managing in 2-team leagues or a club with unlimited resources.

I don't understand how they expect Ole not to have bad runs in a season. Assuming you're never going to have a bad run in a season, any team would just win the league every single year. And we all know that never happens. We're competing for honours right up to the end of this season and playing the best football we have played in years. We are hated and feared again and are currently the Premier League form side with a record broken on Thursday.

I just don't understand what more people expect. I don't expect to win things every year so for me, I am very happy with OGS and our current status. There's no way he's going anywhere so people just need to get used to it.

On a side note, I think it's fecking hilarious that the Ole Outers have had their negative posts in their draft folders for the last 20 weeks. It must be fecking killing them seeing us on such a good run. :D
Great post.

he has the worst team out of Moyes, Jose or LVG. Do we remember how bad we were, with so little hope. A collection of misfits and highly paid players who were shoehorned into the club from multiple contrasting regimes. What a total mess the club was in.

we now have a vision, and our identity back.

what OGS has done has been fantastic. I don’t understand ‘supporters’ who are not behind him, I imagine they don’t even watch us play but instead fall back on their perception of what Ole is and what he should be achieving.

The alternative is what?

What else are people expecting, to be challenging for the league this year? There’s not a manager in the game, past or present who would be doing that with what he took over.

he’s rebuilding, it takes time. We are not going to get there immediately. I expect progress next season, and a title push the season after.

SirAnderson

Let's be clear on the reality and the wumming in here guys.
Doubt anyone seriously wants Jose back @TrustInJanuzaj if there is then :lol:

Although there is a lot of other crap said about him that people actually believe.

It's hard to sift through it all though.

Anyone that's hitting Ole hard right now is definitely bonkers or on a wind up.

TrustInJanuzaj

Couldn’t agree more pal, I just find this thread so frustrating but it also will make the success even greater I imagine! I think what I have learnt after the torture of Mourinho and LVG is that I really just want to be optimistic, excited and entertained and under Ole I have never wavered in those 3 things. Even during our poor spells it was obvious what we were attempting, I was still excited by the individuals stepping up in that system and I knew that Ole could see the bigger picture and remove the players who underperformed (I.e Lingard).

None of us truly know whether we will take the next step but that’s what also makes it so exciting. Surely even the most negative posters here must be excited about watching us play at the moment and if that isn’t the case then I really don’t think this club is for you.

TrustInJanuzaj

Let's be clear on the reality and the wumming in here guys.
Doubt anyone seriously wants Jose back @TrustInJanuzaj if there is then :lol:

Although there is a lot of other crap said about him that people actually believe.

It's hard to sift through it all though.

Anyone that's hitting Ole hard right now is definitely bonkers or on a wind up.
Honestly it’s quite hard to know who is wumming, sarcastic or just plain delusional because we definitely have posters who cover the whole spectrum on here.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
he’s rebuilding, it takes time. We are not going to get there immediately. I expect progress next season, and a title push the season after.
None of us truly know whether we will take the next step but that’s what also makes it so exciting. Surely even the most negative posters here must be excited about watching us play at the moment and if that isn’t the case then I really don’t think this club is for you.
Come on guys, you're just being too sensible here.

Rafaeldagold

Is it really so crazy to say that Ole has done really well recently, we’ve been great since Jan with Bruno’s arrival & it’s looking good. However we are still only 5th despite the great form which shows how bad we were earlier in the season. And that some still aren’t sold on his tactical nous & ability to change a game when things aren’t going wrong /it’s a tight game (Against Burnley it was just 90 mins of the same thing which was very concerning)

However things are going our way right now & we’re looking great so let’s see where we go but it’s too simplistic to say that posters who have some concerns still over Ole are ‘crazy’ or ‘WUM’s’

MalcolmTucker

Is it really so crazy to say that Ole has done really well recently, we’ve been great since Jan with Bruno’s arrival & it’s looking good. However we are still only 5th despite the great form which shows how bad we were earlier in the season. And that some still aren’t sold on his tactical nous & ability to change a game when things aren’t going wrong /it’s a tight game (Against Burnley it was just 90 mins of the same thing which was very concerning)

However things are going our way right now & we’re looking great so let’s see where we go but it’s too simplistic to say that posters who have some concerns still over Ole are ‘crazy’ or ‘WUM’s’
Not all of them are crazy or WUMs, there are a few old fashioned idiots as well :)

SirAnderson

There's a difference between concerns and wanting him sack right now, or replaced by Jose.
Its not hard to see the difference really.
Those who have concerns will express them in a way that still gives Ole some slack to see out this season.

This knee jerk nonsense of sacking is also gone to the extreme in recent years.
No patience any more. Thankfully not all clubs buy into the cries of the fickle fans.
Only justified case for a sack cried out by fans of the top 6 (when they used to be part of it) is Arsenal really.
Some Spurs fans will say Poch, but I think it was a dumb decision still.

rotherham_red

Great post.

he has the worst team out of Moyes, Jose or LVG. Do we remember how bad we were, with so little hope. A collection of misfits and highly paid players who were shoehorned into the club from multiple contrasting regimes. What a total mess the club was in.

we now have a vision, and our identity back.

what OGS has done has been fantastic. I don’t understand ‘supporters’ who are not behind him, I imagine they don’t even watch us play but instead fall back on their perception of what Ole is and what he should be achieving.

The alternative is what?

What else are people expecting, to be challenging for the league this year? There’s not a manager in the game, past or present who would be doing that with what he took over.

Brilliant post.

For me, his biggest achievement has been to condense what was essentially two seasons' worth of transition, into one. It's absolutely mental when you consider just how far away we were last season, and even at certain points of this season. Just shows what happens when a club takes a long-term view...

Withnail

Brilliant post.

For me, his biggest achievement has been to condense what was essentially two seasons' worth of transition, into one. It's absolutely mental when you consider just how far away we were last season, and even at certain points of this season. Just shows what happens when a club takes a long-term view...
I just hope the club don't see this good run as an excuse not to keep up the rebuilding job and then refuse to invest in the squad before next season.

rotherham_red

I just hope the club don't see this good run as an excuse not to keep up the rebuilding job and then refuse to invest in the squad before next season.
Ole knows what's needed and I'm sure he'll be backed, especially since he got rid of so many from the squad without fully replacing them

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Ole knows what's needed and I'm sure he'll be backed, especially since he got rid of so many from the squad without fully replacing them
Yeah not gonna happen. I'm pretty certain the people at the top are aware of Ole's plans and would have confirmed by now what support they are going to give him. Obviously things will have changed due to the pandemic but I'd find it hard to believe that they had not conducted those mitigation discussions already and realigned plans for the summer.

They must be very pleased with what they are seeing right now, considering the big names they went for previously.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Oh... now you're interesting, are you saying that you have knowledge of what's happening at Manchester United, and you can tell, that Ole is in no way responsible for the culture shift and the team spirit and results that were the outcome of such a change?!? And all of that has a lot to do with the support he gets from our board?

Very interesting, care to detail a bit more?
You have to recall where we were before we broke the record for a defender. Our form had us in relagation. Maguire and AWB has provided the much need stability to our defense and as they eased into our team, we now have one of the strongest defenses in the league because the board supported the transfer committee decision to smash record for defenders. Then comes January, we were the only team that spent big because the board knew that that was what we needed to get into the champions league. They didn’t have belief in Ole managerial capability that he could get us over the finish line with what we have or on a restricted budge, they knew that they had to spend big to cover his lack of managerial understanding. Look at Chelsea and Lampard. Chelsea needed a signing but their board didn’t back him and instead put faith in his managerial capability to get them into the champions league with what they have. Could you imagine if Chelsea made a huge signing like we did in January? They would have had fourth sealed already. And this is a Chelsea team that hasn’t made a signing this whole season.
I agree that Ole have gave the team a positive attitude, but he needs more than that to take us to the top because that wasn’t working before we made these key signing. As I also mentioned before, Ole knows how to find the right players. I have much faith in giving him a warchest than any of our other managers beside Sir Alex. But, the tactical side of the game, he still fall behind a lot of the big club managers.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
  1. Mourinho is a 3x PL and 2x Champions League winner show some respect!
  2. Ole has relegated Cardiff and been a glorified PE teacher at Molde
  3. That level of percentage is easy to get when the initial level is so low. 200% improvement of 0 is still 0!
  4. Poch is a much better manager than Ole he’s just got really lucky with good signings.
  5. The only trophies we are close to winning is FA Cup and Europa league start bragging when it’s something worth winning! Fergie would be embarassed to see what you’re all celebrating now mediocrity!
Ole at the wheel is a car crash waiting to happen he’s peaked so let’s get someone world class in to replace him!

If he was a serial winner he’d have won something of note by now. Fergie had won with Aberdeen at European level and Mourinho the Champions League with FC Porto! That’s an amazing achievement. If Ole wasn’t part of United under Fergie he wouldn’t have got a look in he’s the luckiest man alive to be associated with the club in 99 thats the only reason he has the job.
Ok, you've had your bit of fun. Getting a bit tiresome now.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Ok, you've had your bit of fun. Getting a bit tiresome now.
Wanted to see if I could get one last one in.

Nobody is arguing against Ole at the moment not legitimately so I don’t understand why people keep bringing up old arguments.

Withnail

You have to recall where we were before we broke the record for a defender. Our form had us in relagation. Maguire and AWB has provided the much need stability to our defense and as they eased into our team, we now have one of the strongest defenses in the league because the board supported the transfer committee decision to smash record for defenders. Then comes January, we were the only team that spent big because the board knew that that was what we needed to get into the champions league. They didn’t have belief in Ole managerial capability that he could get us over the finish line with what we have or on a restricted budge, they knew that they had to spend big to cover his lack of managerial understanding. Look at Chelsea and Lampard. Chelsea needed a signing but their board didn’t back him and instead put faith in his managerial capability to get them into the champions league with what they have. Could you imagine if Chelsea made a huge signing like we did in January? They would have had fourth sealed already. And this is a Chelsea team that hasn’t made a signing this whole season.
I agree that Ole have gave the team a positive attitude, but he needs more than that to take us to the top because that wasn’t working before we made these key signing. As I also mentioned before, Ole knows how to find the right players. I have much faith in giving him a warchest than any of our other managers beside Sir Alex. But, the tactical side of the game, he still fall behind a lot of the big club managers.
So you think that because the board think Ole isn't a good enough manager they gave him loads of money to spend?

You do realise that is the opposite of what any board will do?

They don't invest if they think the manager isn't up to it.

Also how do you know anything about why Chelsea didn't sign anyone? How do you know they weren't trying to get some deals done?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
In penance for the wind up here are my actual views along with any legitimate concerns (spoiler alert I have none):
  1. We are clearly playing better football than under previous managers
  2. Crucially we are also playing adaptable football, counter against tough sides, penetrative and creative against teams who set up to stifle us
  3. The improvement of several players is credit to the hard work Ole, Carrick et al have been doing behind the scenes
  4. The inclusion of youth and United graduates genuinely makes me smile. Seeing Rashford, Greenwood, Williams, McTominay and others is the United way in the best way possible.
  5. I fully expect us to finish top 4 (3rd I think is a bit too tough without a bit of luck) and win a trophy this season which would set us up perfectly for next season.
  6. We’re breaking records but for great reasons and I struggle to see where our next loss will come from.
  7. Add Sancho into this side and for the first time since Fergie I believe we could push for top 2 and maybe make a wee challenge too. This is based on the fact I don’t think Liverpool will retain the title (it’s bloody difficult) and City will feel the loss of Silva.

Tarrou

what a load of horse-shit

if they truly felt that way they'd just sack him, not throw money at it

SirAnderson

:lol: :lol:
@BenitoSTARR is this a disciple of yours?
Edit: rather is this where you got your inspiration from! :lol:

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
If our board has shown anything over the last 7 years it’s that they won’t back crap and will act when they need to.

Signing players is a show of faith. And tactically if he were so naive surely he’d struggle against superior managers? Yet this hasnt been the case.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
:lol: :lol:
@BenitoSTARR is this a disciple of yours?
Edit: rather is this where you got your inspiration from! :lol:
Before composing the wind up I did look back through this thread for the “greatest hits” of people who wanted Ole out and tried to put them into one mega argument.

I have nothing to do with this monster though!
He was Benito before Benito was a twinkle in his fathers eye :lol:
:lol:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
So you think that because the board think Ole isn't a good enough manager they gave him loads of money to spend?

You do realise that is the opposite of what any board will do?

They don't invest if they think the manager isn't up to it.

Also how do you know anything about why Chelsea didn't sign anyone? How do you know they weren't trying to get some deals done?
what a load of horse-shit

if they truly felt that way they'd just sack him, not throw money at it

I think he's still clinging on to the hope that Poch will rock up at OT in the summer.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Hopeless logic. No board will give a manager 130m to spend on defenders if they don't have faith in their managerial capabilities at that time, they won't give them 50m to spend on an Attacking mid if they don't trust their capabilities!

We signed defenders because of our defensive record last season and not because of any other reason. Now regarding the point on his managerial capabilities - without AWB and Maguire, didn't he beat Poch, Emery, Tuchel and Sarri. Just think what that says about their managerial capabilities then!

I've always maintained quality of players is what gets you over the line vs smaller sides and the quality of manager determines your results vs bigger sides. It has been talked over and over again that our losses vs low block sides (or smaller sides) was because we lacked a player who could make those passes. Additionally we were missing players due to injury. Once we got Bruno, that problem has seemingly been resolved. Against bigger sides, where tactical knowledge of a manager plays an important role, our performances have been exceptional. If you can't see that, that's on you and your unconditional love for Poch

Halftrack

Hopeless logic. No board will give a manager 130m to spend on defenders if they don't have faith in their managerial capabilities at that time, they won't give them 50m to spend on an Attacking mid if they don't trust their capabilities!

We signed defenders because of our defensive record last season and not because of any other reason. Now regarding the point on his managerial capabilities - without AWB and Maguire, didn't he beat Poch, Emery, Tuchel and Sarri. Just think what that says about their managerial capabilities then!

I've always maintained quality of players is what gets you over the line vs smaller sides and the quality of manager determines your results vs bigger sides. It has been talked over and over again that our losses vs low block sides (or smaller sides) was because we lacked a player who could make those passes. Additionally we were missing players due to injury. Once we got Bruno, that problem has seemingly been resolved. Against bigger sides, where tactical knowledge of a manager plays an important role, our performances have been exceptional. If you can't see that, that's on you and your unconditional love for Poch
@Amadaeus sole motivation for posting is to construct a reality wherein Poch is infallible. To do this, he must make nonsensical arguments to diminish the accomplishments of other managers.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
First of all, you don't know what hipster actually means. Second of all, you don't understand what DoF actually does. Third of all, DoF wasn't the criticism thrown at the club at last 7 years. It was plainness direction about it.

DoF is merely a guy who tries to execute a club vision, no more, no less. And vision was changed on the daily bases.

And yes, Ole still needs a help there or I want a guy who will (after you start moaning we are not in a title race next season) try to continue what we are doing right now.
Firstly, those are quite a lot of assumptions by you. :lol:

The subtle dig aimed at the poster I was mentioning definitely did make that poster seem like a hipster to me who had no idea about our clubs system and blamed it on the lack of a DoF.

Secondly, by the sound of it, you look like you don’t know what all a DoF does apart from ‘executing a club vision’.
The influence a DoF can have in the operations can and are pivotal to a clubs way forward and sometimes that influence can backfire.

Lastly, I wouldn’t be found moaning next season if we don’t win the title because we’re obviously not there yet. That’s not to say we can’t but I wouldn’t set my hopes that high so early. Still a lot of work required to become steady title challengers year upon year. But I do find myself contempt with the progress being made by the men currently in charge (Ole & team).

If anything, we needed a DoF much more when Mourinho was in charge and needed to be reminded to stick to our clubs ideologies along with his own footprint being stamped. Ole in the meantime had a very clear idea about the situation and didn’t need much help in reminding what our club is about. Going forward, we need a DoF who will replicate/support Ole’s ideas and help him manage the club with less of a burden on Ole himself behind the scenes. That being said, I would once again like to emphasize that I’m all for a DoF but not one who will come exercise his powers in a way where he could potentially ignore the insight given from Ole and negatively impact our plan going forward. Hence why I said that now the timing of signing one would be much better as we have a better idea of where we stand, and what we lack.

Reactions: Sultan

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
That second sentence is cringeworthy.

I also hope, for there sake, you dont have to, sounds like you've got an arsenal of written words they'l struggle to recover from.
If you find my words cringeworthy, I hope you took the time out to read the post I was referring to in the Sancho thread.

I’m guessing you haven’t? Which would then explain your tone being similar to that poster, where you’re both very assumptive with little to no evidence to back your statement.

Perhaps you’d also then need a fact check like the one I gave to that poster and you may also struggle to reply back. Or, simply just ‘struggle to recover’ when you realize your know-it-all approach leaves ample room for you to grow your knowledge base further.

On a side note, I’m very curious if you always cringe without knowing the full story? Seems a bit ignorant of you. Which in turn makes you seem disrespectful towards me.

Web of Bissaka

I think we can all agree at minimum that now is not the right time to replace Ole.

That and Ole basically won himself more time and trust to keep his job throughout this season.
+ started ok then immediately poor run, followed by superb home-run midway and ever since restart, now cruising so well towards the end.

And therefore Ole deserve to have another go at next season.

sport2793

After seeing the shambolic defending served up by Chelsea both today and previously, am not sure how folks can still slate Ole so easily. Clearly the first basic responsibility for any manager of a top side is to be able to post a decent defensive record.

Status
Not open for further replies.