Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffthered

I still don't think we can achieve anything big with either Ole or the Glazers in charge. But OGS has certainly earned the right to prove otherwise, because he qualified for the Champions League. Any manager who does that while attempting some decently entertaining football is entitled to our support.
I agree.

OGS is still a manager learning to be the sort manager United need. He has turned around his troubles from last season, and it is commendable that we are third.

But this is, and should be, no reason for celebration, and that is my worry. OGS doesn't strike me as someone who has the real, natural expectations of being the very best. He is a polite manager, says the right things, almost without any real commitment, playing counter attack football.

He is, in my opinion, like Gareth Southgate and England. They do not inspire, producing some good moments, but flatter to deceive, and you are never fully convinced that they really believe in their own ability to compete with the very best.

Man Utd do not look close to actually winning anything under OGS. All this talk of rebuild is management speak. United should continually rebuild, whilst competing for honours, that should be the standards we have.

Yet OGS thinks coming third is 'remarkable'.

SteveW

I agree.

OGS is still a manager learning to be the sort manager United need. He has turned around his troubles from last season, and it is commendable that we are third.

But this is, and should be, no reason for celebration, and that is my worry. OGS doesn't strike me as someone who has the real, natural expectations of being the very best. He is a polite manager, says the right things, almost without any real commitment, playing counter attack football.

He is, in my opinion, like Gareth Southgate and England. They do not inspire, producing some good moments, but flatter to deceive, and you are never fully convinced that they really believe in their own ability to compete with the very best.

Man Utd do not look close to actually winning anything under OGS. All this talk of rebuild is management speak. United should continually rebuild, whilst competing for honours, that should be the standards we have.

Absolutely clueless.

Josh 76

Ole out has currently matched the mightly Poch best season at spurs,

And has more trophies in his CV
Poch had a bad 3 months at Spurs, when he had fallen out with the board and some of his players were wanting to leave. Even Klopp had that with Dortmund, so very harsh to judge him on that.

Previously he took a relegation looking team in Southampton and turned them into CL contenders without spending too much money. I even remember when he first brought his Southampton team to OT (lost 2-1) but played us off the park. Fergie even said at the time it was the best team he had faced that season.

Then moving to Spurs, playing high pressing and attractive football, with a net spend of 5 or 10m, took Spurs to PL contenders for 3 seasons. Finishing 2nd or 3rd or 4th doesn't matter, it's how close you are to the top that matters. Spurs took the title to the last couple of games.

Saying Poch has not won anything is because he didn't take the Cups serious and even said it's all about the CL and PL (like klopp) which is music to my ears. I'm sick of wining the League Cup, or having a good run in the Europa league and saying Utd are back. It's bullshit.

Last edited:

theklr

I agree.

The feck are you on about.

He made our B-squad win against City, draw with Liverpool, and the win against PSG.

If you arent inspired by some of these games we had your truly emotionless.

He is polite and says the right things in media, as you should be. But if you think he isnt ruthless with the players and in the dressing room you are just mistaken.

The mentality he has instilled in the players is what made us get 3rd and champions league.

mancave bear

After all Ole has done, it still is 24,4 percent who dont think he is doing a good enough job. It is ubeliveable. With the players that have been available this season, third place is a fantastic achivement.

The last thing we should do now is to get a new manager. That would just set us back.

Last edited:

Bestietom

I would keep Ole. With 3/4 more top additions to this team, we could challenge City and Liverpool. Ole needs the backing now.

TheRedDevil2019

I agree.

Utter nonsense, you should stick with airing your views off the keyboard rather then on it...

It's remarkable given the circumstances we found ourselves in, (I thought the current squad would get 5th/6th). United lacked quality in depth, star players injured, then we had the individual errors like Pogba's piss-taking with penalties at the start of the season (wolves being an example) and DDG's errors cost this side arguably getting to 75 points.

To the naysayers that lack any sense of optimism. Where you not at the City game in march? That atmosphere was the best since SAF and it's all down to Ole. Think back to Jose's tenure the atmosphere was flat, players weren't interested, an argument was leaked in the media every other week r.e Jose and Pogba or someone else.

United has come so far since then.

Many more positives right now then what there's been for a very long time, and I renewed my ST last week, yippee :D.

pav1790

I would like all you reasonable doubters to please clear out for a few weeks. I love your contributions. You provide a voice of reason, a voice of caution that fans like me need. But you are not wanted, for the time being. :)

We finished third. After that start to the season. And we have the momentum. If we strengthen better than the teams above or around us, we are surely going to challenge earlier than anticipated by most fans.

Future beckons to this great club, once again. And a period of year after year of looking back ends today. For the first time, there are records being broken, there are new records being set.

And ole is part of it. No way is a story like this possible with any manager that we have had in the past - after Fergie.

Now, all I want is for the Stretford end to tell me who is at the wheel, when we win trophies. I want Stratford end to jeer the English press as Martial scores again. I am a simple fan. I don’t look for a reason to be a realist, I look for reasons to get carried away. And carried away, I am getting. No way I am walking in this state.

youngrell

Delighted for Ole and the players but baffled by some opinions that remain on here.

Ole is a poor coach: to my knowledge, he doesn't do the coaching so I'm not sure why this is levelled at him so often. Carrick and McKenna are taking the training sessions, that has been stated by Ole himself on numerous occasions. The only thing you can criticise Ole for in this instance would be his choice of coaches, but he seems happy and absolutely none of us know how good or bad either are.

Not the manager to challenge Klopp and Guardiola: how do we know? Does anyone honestly believe that Klopp or Guardiola would be winning the title with our current squad? Of course not. So why is Ole held to that standard currently? At least wait until he has what resembles the best or second best team/squad in the league before judging his ability to compete.

Lucky the league was rubbish (or this points total is our lowest): well folks, that is how a league system works. It's not the final points that matter, it's the position, and we have just had our second best finish since SAF retired – and this coming off the back of one of the most disastrous in terms of performances and atmosphere around the club. Those who keep saying our points total wouldn't normally get top 4, by the same token do you wish to grant Liverpool an extra title because their 18/19 points total was high enough to win the title in any other season? No you wouldn't. So again, this is how a league works.

Lucky Leicester completely choked: Yes, let's keep pretending that not only did we claw ourselves back from a 14 point deficit to finish 4 points ahead, but we also pegged Chelsea along the way too. In the end, Leicester's poor form was inconsequential, because we topped Chelsea too.

Manager/Squad mentality is so weak: see above. No mentally weak squad goes on the run we have to finish the season. There's been dips for sure, and plenty of individual errors, but as a whole we have done fantastically well.

Carry on.

romufc

Delighted for Ole and the players but baffled by some opinions that remain on here.

Ole is a poor coach: to my knowledge, he doesn't do the coaching so I'm not sure why this is levelled at him so often. Carrick and McKenna are taking the training sessions, that has been stated by Ole himself on numerous occasions. The only thing you can criticise Ole for in this instance would be his choice of coaches, but he seems happy and absolutely none of us know how good or bad either are.

Not the manager to challenge Klopp and Guardiola: how do we know? Does anyone honestly believe that Klopp or Guardiola would be winning the title with our current squad? Of course not. So why is Ole held to that standard currently? At least wait until he has what resembles the best or second best team/squad in the league before judging his ability to compete.

Lucky the league was rubbish (or this points total is our lowest): well folks, that is how a league system works. It's not the final points that matter, it's the position, and we have just had our second best finish since SAF retired – and this coming off the back of one of the most disastrous in terms of performances and atmosphere around the club. Those who keep saying our points total wouldn't normally get top 4, by the same token do you wish to grant Liverpool an extra title because their 18/19 points total was high enough to win the title in any other season? No you wouldn't. So again, this is how a league works.

Lucky Leicester completely choked: Yes, let's keep pretending that not only did we claw ourselves back from a 14 point deficit to finish 4 points ahead, but we also pegged Chelsea along the way too. In the end, Leicester's poor form was inconsequential, because we topped Chelsea too.

Manager/Squad mentality is so weak: see above. No mentally weak squad goes on the run we have to finish the season. There's been dips for sure, and plenty of individual errors, but as a whole we have done fantastically well.

Carry on.
Some very good points.

There is a section of fans that have this tunnel vision about Ole, they want to be right about him being a poor manager. Whatever he does, they find an excuse to dampen the mood. However; a draw and they will be Ole out.

So if the points matter so much to some fans, surely it must make Pep, Lampard, Arteta, Jose all poor managers? Like you said, it doesnt work like that.

We had to beat Chelsea and Leicester to finish in the top 3, the Chelsea game was so cruicial getting 3 points back and same as Leicester.

You could maybe see the weak mentality agenda coming out if we didnt get top 4. The position we have been in this season on various parts, The Norwhich game and Burnley game. The way the players have come over that and Ole as well has shown great mental strength.

How many managers come out of that and change it.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Okay, your opinion.

What would another manager have done?

League cup Semi Final
3rd place finish
FA cup Semi Final
Qurter Final EL
Yeah, we can't know that. Maybe other manager would be third with 15 points more and Fa cup trophy. Maybe other manager would be 6th. We can't tell what other manager would do. Maybe other manager would bought 4 other players and sell others. We can't tell.
I just think that based on what i see that Ole is not good enough. But it is not important anymore. And talking about it is just pointless.

I said earlier; i get you Ole in guys. Especially now when he finished 3rd. But i just rate quality and my opinion is that he doesn't have quality to be a manager of top level club.

dove

Some very good points.

There is a section of fans that have this tunnel vision about Ole, they want to be right about him being a poor manager. Whatever he does, they find an excuse to dampen the mood. However; a draw and they will be Ole out.

So if the points matter so much to some fans, surely it must make Pep, Lampard, Arteta, Jose all poor managers? Like you said, it doesnt work like that.

We had to beat Chelsea and Leicester to finish in the top 3, the Chelsea game was so cruicial getting 3 points back and same as Leicester.

You could maybe see the weak mentality agenda coming out if we didnt get top 4. The position we have been in this season on various parts, The Norwhich game and Burnley game. The way the players have come over that and Ole as well has shown great mental strength.

We did well to finish 3rd but if you look at the season as a whole, I don't think we had a good season and points show exactly that. People quickly forget how absolutely dreadful we were for a huge part of this season. Our ultimate goal should be to challenge for the title and let's be honest here, we are absolutely miles away from doing that and I am not even sure we closed the gap at all compared to last season. I think it's way too early for "Feck the doubters, I told you Ole is gonna be great" stuff.

There definitely are some positives, I like Ole's ideas of how our squad should look. He targets the right type of players and already got rid of some deadwood/unlikeable players. He definitely deserves credit for that and the general atmosphere around the club.

Our squad was always good enough of finishing TOP 4 and we did exactly that. Nothing more nothing less. I think reasonable target for next season would be 80+ points and see where it takes us.

Fully Fledged

Challenging them in head-to-head games is great, but if we want to challenge them (and Liverpool) in the league table, we'll probably need to find a way of picking up another 25-30 points.
If we can match the results of the last 14 games over a season we’d be 21 points better off.
It would take us to 87 points. That would be a massive start.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Thread has taken a turn for the worse with some truly childish behaviour. Many people who don't think he's right didn't start rooting for us to lose matches, yet some are treating it like they've won an opinion battle.

I'd still take an upgrade in the summer, if that opinion offends then you're doing this internet forum thing wrong. You'll never get a 100% of people to agree with you on anything
But let’s be honest it’s taken a turn for the worse with posters like you because despite evidence to the contrary you are literally sat there with the blinkers on saying you’d replace Ole. He’s exceeded expectations and yet you want him gone. You can’t reason with that rationale because it simply defies logic.

romufc

Yeah, we can't know that. Maybe other manager would be third with 15 points more and Fa cup trophy. Maybe other manager would be 6th. We can't tell what other manager would do. Maybe other manager would bought 4 other players and sell others. We can't tell.
I just think that based on what i see that Ole is not good enough. But it is not important anymore. And talking about it is just pointless.

I said earlier; i get you Ole in guys. Especially now when he finished 3rd. But i just rate quality and my opinion is that he doesn't have quality to be a manager of top level club.
Exactly, a lot of hypotheticals.

I have not said Ole will win us the title or any claims like those.

Jose sacked after a crap start to the season where we went into every game wondering what United will turn up, will we lose. We went to Liverpool and got picked off. That point, Manutd was at a very low point. There was no direction, we had spent so much money on transfers and wages, Pogba and Jose were falling out.

Ole came in done well, got the new manager bounce and got us to a point where we can challenge for top 4. He got given the job and the players all ran out of steam, along with not being good enough.

This season no one said win the title. Top 4 was hopeful, now we have achieved it given the season we have had, injuries, form, negativity etc.

Jose, Arteta didnt get the same new manager bounce as Ole did.

Ole was under real pressure after Burnley, he came through that, didnt throw his toys out the pram, he got himself and the turned it around.

Infra-red

If we can match the results of the last 14 games over a season we’d be 21 points better off.
It would take us to 87 points. That would be a massive start.
Yes it would. That's exactly what we need to do next season. I don't expect us to overhaul Liverpool, but we need an 85+ points season where, for the first time since 2013, we're at least in the mix. I'm not sure that Ole is capable of it (although, obviously, I hope that he is).

Fully Fledged

I've changed my vote in the poll.

Although I don't think he should be backed blindly going into the next season. If we are going through another period like last winter questions seriously need to asked.

He has to be desisive in the transfer window now. Getting the squad he wants together ASAP has to be his priority.
You do know that he’s not the one to actually make the signings right. He’ll give his requests to Ed and it’s up to him to get them in.

FatherWolff

We did well to finish 3rd but if you look at the season as a whole, I don't think we had a good season and points show exactly that. People quickly forget how absolutely dreadful we were for a huge part of this season. Our ultimate goal should be to challenge for the title and let's be honest here, we are absolutely miles away from doing that and I am not even sure we closed the gap at all compared to last season. I think it's way too early for "Feck the doubters, I told you Ole is gonna be great" stuff.

There definitely are some positives, I like Ole's ideas of how our squad should look. He targets the right type of players and already got rid of some deadwood/unlikeable players. He definitely deserves credit for that and the general atmosphere around the club.

Our squad was always good enough of finishing TOP 4 and we did exactly that. Nothing more nothing less. I think reasonable target for next season would be 80+ points and see where it takes us.
I think you are way ahead of yourself. The argument at the start of the season was we were left short not replacing Lukaku and so on. Realistically 6th to 8th was realistic with our squad, and that was with Pogba in it.

In a process like this there will be bumps and hard times. But I is all about turning it around, believe in yourself and the process.
We have let trough youngsters, and that in it self will make us stronger in the long run, but will hurt in some games short term.

Ole and the team has proved a lot of doubters and even haters among our own fans wrong.
It is knee jerk if you can’t handle the bumps of a season. We have seen a massive progress, and not only on the pitch. We are in a strong position to keep building. Close the gap and position us for a future title challenge.

You can’t talk about points in the league other than the gap up to the top. Premiere league have never had more money or teams with players of this quality. It is much more even down from the top two than it has ever been. Our job now is to get closer to the top.

If you can’t recognise the progress and our process as a united fan it is borderline stupidity.
Remember, we never replaced Lukaku!

Keefy18

Did he? Sanchez is still ours and the clearing of deadwood left us dangerously light over the winter.
Yes, he did. No manager can get rid of every bit of deadwood around a club in a single summer & winter transfer window, it's not a realistic expectation to have of any manager. Big calls were made however and he was fully vindicated in making them!

Just for clarity Ole got rid of: Fellaini, Herrera, Valencia, Darmian, Lukaku & Young and loaned out Rojo, Smalling & Sanchez.

I'm not sure what your cheap little dig is about the Sanchez loan... many top European clubs use loans like Real, Dortmund, Bayern and Juve. The latter have done some super business with loans.

The risk had to be taken in leaving us light, it afforded young players mins this season. It was short term pain, for long term gain. It's because of these risks and long term vision Ole brought to the club he would be afforded time.

For years we had Young and Valencia in their 30s stinking up the club with support from Darmian also hitting 30, now we have AWB (22) & Shaw (25) and support from Dalot (21) & Williams (19).Where we had overweight and bad attitude Lukaku and ageing, injury prone Sanchez we now have 3 forwards with an avg age of 21 that gave us 88 goal involvements in their full debut season together.

IMO would have broken through regardless, but credit where its due for Williams. Still not enough to keep him if he didn't get CL.
Maybe they would, maybe they wouldn't, it really depends on the manager at the club. Simply put it is clear to see Ole's plan here when we look at the avg age of our team from last season to this, youth is the goal here and again to repeat myself long term vision. Our avg age from last season was 26 years old I believe and now it is the leagues youngest at 24.

What I would say is, even if he debuted with another manager would we of seen the same results? Before you fire off and think absolutely we would. Didn't ring true for Jose with his handling of Martial & Rashford did it. The latter went 26 games without a goal if memory serves right.

You seem to take this as a singular sentiment for him keeping his job, it isn't... its everything, altogether that would keep him in the job, not simply for debuting some young lads.

I strongly disagree with this assessment. We are breathtaking at times but we have no defined style and many of the complaints about Ole's tactics have been justified.
Not sure why you would disagree, unless you've forgotten just how utterly terrible we were previously under Jose? At no point this season did I feel in despair and even in games where we might not of been at our absolute best, I still felt we were deserving of 3pts more often then not. I can see that we can retain possession now very well whereas previously Jose had no desire to have the ball. I can see we counter on teams beautifully, something I don't think I ever saw consistently under Jose.

Again, to address these issues takes time. It doesn't happen over night and you need the necessary players for it to work something close to flawlessly and consistently but if you read up the right resources and take on board valid, objective information it shows otherwise.

Here's a twitter page I follow often and as early as Oct he had us as performing as 3rd best team in the league, that's with an injured Martial and Pogba bear in mind ;)

Bullshit. Do you not remember how mang injuries we had during the winter?
There's no BS about it at all. Those numbers were still down on the previous year when at the back end of last season and right after being named full time manager of United he had 13 players injured at one point and do you know what followed? Horrendous form and performances, hardly surprising.

https://www.90min.com/posts/6389205...-each-club-suffered-during-the-2018-19-season

We did suffer some bad injuries, but it should give you an indication how bad last year was and previous years when this is still an improvement.

Nope. Still looked gassed after 70 mins in most games and we really have stumbled over the libe due to fatigue.
Absolutely we've stumbled across the line and you know why, I've explained it above. Lack of quality in the squad. Read the thread that Gandalf Greyhame posted. https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-most-promising-side-post-saf-and-also-some-stats.456375/

A brilliant thread full of factual info that explains the issues Ole has faced and over come quite often, this one section hits the nail on the head and why Ole had to get every last drop out of the starting XI.

Sheffield United (A) : James, Fred, Williams, Pereira, Phil Jones start : 3-3 Draw
Bournemouth (A): James, Fred, McTominay, Pereira start : 1-0 loss
Villa (H): James, Pereira, Fred, Mata, Williams start: 2-2 Draw
Southampton (A): Mata, Pereira, James, McTominay start: 1-1 Draw
Palace (H) : Lingard, James, McTominay start: 1-2 Loss
West Ham (A): Mata, James, Pereira, McTominary start: 2-0 loss.

3/18 points before restart and 14/18 points now.

Some have improved, some have regressed.
Don't just say they've regressed without name dropping. The only player who has is De Gea, but...that regression was already in place with Jose there. I don't attribute that to Ole's handling of him at all.

Outside of that, I'm genuinely struggling to think of players who previously were consistent and now are not.

Agreed, but I don't think that's down to Ole.
Soooo basically like the Greenwood point you just don't want to give credit where it is due.

There really isn't much objectivity within your sentiments again sadly.

Last edited:

romufc

I agree, we look as a season as a whole. Let me reverse that in saying we had a shocking first half of the season and a really good second half which makes it an average season.

Our ultimate goal is to challenge for the title, agreed but one must realise where you stand. We are miles of the top, no one expected us to be challenging given how good City and Liverpool are, this season was always about rebuilding and getting ready for when the top 2 drop. Anyone who thinks otherwise was deluded.

The reason why some fans are optimistic is because of the form we have had. We all know our squad isnt good enough, being in the CL now will help us in the window. Ole has done what the board and fans asked him, get us top 4 and build the team.

It is now up to the board to say, okay here you go 3/4 players to progress your build. If he gets the players he wants, Ole next season cannot be challenging top 4, he must be in the race until December at least and I want to see a good CL run.

dove

I think you are way ahead of yourself. The argument at the start of the season was we were left short not replacing Lukaku and so on. Realistically 6th to 8th was realistic with our squad, and that was with Pogba in it.

In a process like this there will be bumps and hard times. But I is all about turning it around, believe in yourself and the process.
We have let trough youngsters, and that in it self will make us stronger in the long run, but will hurt in some games short term.

Ole and the team has proved a lot of doubters and even haters among our own fans wrong.
It is knee jerk if you can’t handle the bumps of a season. We have seen a massive progress, and not only on the pitch. We are in a strong position to keep building. Close the gap and position us for a future title challenge.

You can’t talk about points in the league other than the gap up to the top. Premiere league have never had more money or teams with players of this quality. It is much more even down from the top two than it has ever been. Our job now is to get closer to the top.

If you can’t recognise the progress and our process as a united fan it is borderline stupidity.
Remember, we never replaced Lukaku!
This is complete nonsense and was used as an excuse for our terrible form for a few months. People were saying the likes of Leicester and Wolves had a better squad... The underrating of our squad is quite something here. We clearly don't have a squad to challenge for the title but we do have it good enough for TOP 4.

Flexdegea

Poch best league season at spurs was 2017 where they finished 2nd with 86 points. Best european season last season where they made the CL final.

My bad, the title run they had that time when it wasnt actually a challenge, then came 3rd was all I could remember :lol:

FatherWolff

This is complete nonsense and was used as an excuse for our terrible form for a few months. People were saying the likes of Leicester and Wolves had a better squad... The underrating of our squad is quite something here. We clearly don't have a squad to challenge for the title but we do have it good enough for TOP 4.
Well, feel what you like. We played Lingard an Periera for most of the season. Had James carry on with lack of options. Fred was nowhere. Matic was over the hill. I could go on. But most of the football world had this team 6th. I had them 8th. The team died when Martial was out. We had nothing up front, absolutely nothing. If people can’t see the logic behind this process and thinking we had top four in our squad given, I think they are blind. Not talking about our first team, but our squad. They finished well above expectations (for the majority of the world anyway) And are now in good position for the next step. Realistically we close the gap further next season. Nothing more. A lot of work starting now clearing more players and making the right signings.

Last edited:

rotherham_red

Poch had a bad 3 months at Spurs, when he had fallen out with the board and some of his players were wanting to leave. Even Klopp had that with Dortmund, so very harsh to judge him on that.

Previously he took a relegation looking team in Southampton and turned them into CL contenders without spending too much money. I even remember when he first brought his Southampton team to OT (lost 2-1) but played us off the park. Fergie even said at the time it was the best team he had faced that season.

Then moving to Spurs, playing high pressing and attractive football, with a net spend of 5 or 10m, took Spurs to PL contenders for 3 seasons. Finishing 2nd or 3rd or 4th doesn't matter, it's how close you are to the top that matters. Spurs took the title to the last couple of games.

Saying Poch has not won anything is because he didn't take the Cups serious and even said it's all about the CL and PL (like klopp) which is music to my ears. I'm sick of wining the League Cup, or having a good run in the Europa league and saying Utd are back. It's bullshit.
Nope, that's bollocks.

Southampton were a stable PL team by that point, after Adkins had stabilised them after their wobbly period, in fact everyone was surprised when Adkins was let go, as he had done well to recover. And they were never CL or even European contenders, I don't know where you got that from :houllier:

He's a good manager, but let's not rewrite history here.

ReddBalls

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Done just enough for me this season - and the signing of Bruno being the real turning point imo.

Still lots and lots of question marks regarding his in game decisions and also squad management - but he no doubt deserves another season.

Next season, a trophy is a must for me, and a stronger points tally in the PL, hovering on 66 points simply isn't good enough for the huge amount of investment he's enjoyed here.

But the team is gelled well and seems happy enough, and the emergence of Greenwood alongside the signing of the talismanic Bruno is certainly to Ole's credit.

Jeffthered

Absolutely clueless.
Really? And why is that? Rather than post 'absolutely clueless...' maybe take the time to substantiate your opinion. I am tired of such simple, sloppy, lazy interventions on what is a public forum. I actually find value in reading and considering different opinions. Simply stating 'Absolutely clueless' doesn't really progress any debate at all.

podurban2

Done just enough for me this season - and the signing of Bruno being the real turning point imo.

Still lots and lots of question marks regarding his in game decisions and also squad management - but he no doubt deserves another season.

Next season, a trophy is a must for me, and a stronger points tally in the PL, hovering on 66 points simply isn't good enough for the huge amount of investment he's enjoyed here.

But the team is gelled well and seems happy enough, and the emergence of Greenwood alongside the signing of the talismanic Bruno is certainly to Ole's credit.
Huge amount?

ReddBalls

I think the Ole's best quality, and the one that makes me believe that he can do well at United is the way he handles pressure, media and criticism. The three managers he has succeeded did not. Even at the lowest point this season, did anyone see Ole do something like this?

Instead you get him saying stuff like "I'd rather have you lot criticize me than praise me." to journalists.

Jeffthered

Utter nonsense, you should stick with airing your views off the keyboard rather then on it...

It's remarkable given the circumstances we found ourselves in, (I thought the current squad would get 5th/6th). United lacked quality in depth, star players injured, then we had the individual errors like Pogba's piss-taking with penalties at the start of the season (wolves being an example) and DDG's errors cost this side arguably getting to 75 points.

To the naysayers that lack any sense of optimism. Where you not at the City game in march? That atmosphere was the best since SAF and it's all down to Ole. Think back to Jose's tenure the atmosphere was flat, players weren't interested, an argument was leaked in the media every other week r.e Jose and Pogba or someone else.

United has come so far since then.

Many more positives right now then what there's been for a very long time, and I renewed my ST last week, yippee :D.
In response to your rather dismissive comments:

This is a public forum, if you wish people to keep opinions to themselves, maybe consider another form of social communication rather than a public forum.

We almost were 5th, it was close. We still lack quality, even OGS states the need to add to the squad.

If a good season is because you feel more optimistic, then fine. Am I more optimistic than last season, I would say yes, marginally. But judgements made to Jose ' (who finished second with all the dross and problems that were going on btw.... ) do not fill me with feelings of elation. Jose got much wrong, and had to go. OGS started brightly, faded drastically, had a very average period, and ended a strange season (due to CoVid) relatively strongly, although I still question our form against better teams.

If you ask me where I think we will finish next season, with all things as they are , I would probably say what I stated at the beginning of this season, that we will be competing to finish in the top four. I expect us to be above Leicester, Sheff Utd and Wolves, so I do not see this as some fantastic achievement. Maybe that's asking too much from a United fan nowadays. This is exactly what happened to Arsenal, celebrating top four finishes, great young players coming through, and the regular flashes of inspiration from good players. That's all great, I enjoy that to an extent.. but are we going to win something? Under OGS? Have I seen that in this team? In him?

Nope, not quite yet. It may happen, but we have had a good few years of being way off the pace of the very, very top clubs. Other top clubs change managers etc, and still retain an element of being competitive. We now 'aim' to finish in the top four.

How is that successful?

SteveW

Really? And why is that? Rather than post 'absolutely clueless...' maybe take the time to substantiate your opinion. I am tired of such simple, sloppy, lazy interventions on what is a public forum. I actually find value in reading and considering different opinions. Simply stating 'Absolutely clueless' doesn't really progress any debate at all.
Nope. Absolutely clueless summed it up well enough.

AshRK

Are you sure about that
City
Liverpool
Spurs
Arsenal
Chelsea
United
This was your post from August 2019 last season that we will finish 6th. Also if you look at other predictions more than 70 percent predicted us to be outside 6th and some even lower than that. And if you had asked again in January I am sure most would have predicted us to finish outside top 4. So no our squad was never that good to finish 4th let alone 3rd especially with the injuries we were suffering. I would say in September October we were without Pogba Awb Shaw and Martial for some time. And Greenwood and Williams were still not regulars. So Ole has done a remarkable job of fixing things after that.

georgipep

Some very good points.

Even more worryingly, media are on the same bandwagon too. Did you watch MOTD yesterday? Lampard was complemented so much, you would expect him to have won the league. On the other hand, not a word of praise for Ole. According to the three pundits (Lineker, Shearer and Wright) it was all on Bruno. Nothing else.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Even more worryingly, media are on the same bandwagon too. Did you watch MOTD yesterday? Lampard was complemented so much, you would expect him to have won the league. On the other hand, not a word of praise for Ole. According to the three pundits (Lineker, Shearer and Wright) it was all on Bruno. Nothing else.
Have a feeling either Chelsea will be either fighting for the title (if they decide to address their backline) or Lampard will be sacked. With the kind of investment they're making, don't think there's any middle ground.

dove

Are you sure about that

This was your post from August 2019 last season that we will finish 6th. Also if you look at other predictions more than 70 percent predicted us to be outside 6th and some even lower than that. And if you had asked again in January I am sure most would have predicted us to finish outside top 4. So no our squad was never that good to finish 4th let alone 3rd especially with the injuries we were suffering. I would say in September October we were without Pogba Awb Shaw and Martial for some time. And Greenwood and Williams were still not regulars. So Ole has done a remarkable job of fixing things after that.
My prediction was not based on the quality of our squad, you can dig as much as you want I always said we have a better team than many of our own fans believe and that it's good enough for TOP 4. My prediction was based on how we finished last season and that I didn't think Ole is good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.