Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole end of season & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.

Paul_Scholes18

You look at the players SAF had and the players we have now or Jose had. We have to accept the squad SAF had was better and better coached too. It doesn't take away anything from Jose who was a world class manager.
I am not comparing Ole to Jose.
Ole has to win almost the whole lot to be even compared to Jose in his success.
It's to point out that points alone can't be the criteria for comparison as to what wins the PL. Points in one season could be higher and not win the league while in another season it could be lower.
So basically SAF had better player and was a better manager. Yet got less points?
Something do not add up here unless we claim the league was better in 1999. I think the opposite.
Luck could be a factor here. I am not sure how the games was lost in 1999 since I didn't follow us back then and have mainly just watched the big games.
Did we often dominate, but fail to produce a moment of brilliance? Keeper difference since De Gea was a beast for us in 2018.
Mourinho underrated now compared to SAF or our squads? Although SAF didn't have meltdown seasons and was the comeback king.
Also the squad we had back then won multiple titles.
The big game record is also interestingly poor in 1999 and I see and worse than 2018. Goal difference is almost the same too.
If 1999 was not part of the treble it would not be talked about as highly I think. Obviously since we got the treble it is a legendary season.

AshRK

So basically SAF had better player and was a better manager. Yet got less points?
Something do not add up here unless we claim the league was better in 1999. I think the opposite.
Luck could be a factor here. I am not sure how the games was lost in 1999 since I didn't follow us back then and have mainly just watched the big games.
Did we often dominate, but fail to produce a moment of brilliance? Keeper difference since De Gea was a beast for us in 2018.
Mourinho underrated now compared to SAF or our squads? Although SAF didn't have meltdown seasons and was the comeback king.
The big game record is also interestingly poor in 1999 and I see and worse than 2018. Goal difference is almost the same too.
If 1999 was not part of the treble it would not be talked about as highly I think. Obviously since we got the treble it is a legendary season.
But they were part of the treble side. I am not taking anything away from Liverpool side this season but I would say just focusing on the league and getting 99 points is easier than winning the treble. This whole point obsession has only started by the Liverpool PR media.We would have easily got 95 plus points in SAF last season but SAF nor the club ever cared about getting to 100. A title is a title.

Paul_Scholes18

But they were part of the treble side. I am not taking anything away from Liverpool side this season but I would say just focusing on the league and getting 99 points is easier than winning the treble. This whole point obsession has only started by the Liverpool PR media.We would have easily got 95 plus points in SAF last season but SAF nor the club ever cared about getting to 100. A title is a title.
True you only need to do enough to win the league title. Had Arsenal got slightly more points maybe our guys would have responded.
It just shows how tiny the margins are at football. In 2008 we could have won the treble as well if not for the crazy game vs Pompey and people would compare with that season.
I guess what is so impressive with SAF is that he always fighted for the title in every bloody season for so long since he won it the first time. He changed players, but the goal was always the same.
Not most points, but to win the title.
If Ole can win the title at 79 points then we take it way above Mourinhos 81 point and second.

Withnail

Well obviously. It's extremely difficult to fight on three fronts and win the FA Cup, Champions League and keep the League campaign going.

You can't look at the league in isolation when the team also won the other two. You have to rotate constantly so you're rarely putting out your best team.

Take a look at Klopp, he basically binned off the FA Cup and hardly rested anyone in games against Bournemouth and Norwich ahead of the Atletico games in the pursuit of a points record.

Granted it was their first title but it was odd to see when they had such a lead built up.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yes.

There is no correlation between how good a team is and how many points said team win in a given, isolated league season. Really - what is so hard to understand about this?

Forget about Liverpool. Leicester did better than the treble winners in the league - on points.

Another one (a good one, I think): Jose's Chelsea got 93 points in his second-stint league win. That's better than any Fergie team ever did. What does that tell you?

Or - let me rephrase that: if you were around for the 2016-17 PL season, saw how it unfolded, how the teams actually performed - would you conclude that Chelsea were a better team than any of Fergie's league winning vintages?

If you would, I would call your sanity (or at least your basic ability to understand football) into question.

AshRK

True you only need to do enough to win the league title. Had Arsenal got slightly more points maybe our guys would have responded.
It just shows how tiny the margins are at football. In 2008 we could have won the treble as well if not for the crazy game vs Pompey and people would compare with that season.
I guess what is so impressive with SAF is that he always fighted for the title in every bloody season for so long since he won it the first time. He changed players, but the goal was always the same.
Not most points, but to win the title.
If Ole can win the title at 79 points then we take it way above Mourinhos 81 point and second.
And that is why I find it amusing when people say even SAF would have struggled to fight for the title against this klopp or pep because he never reached 90 plus points. Well let us rewind the history book, Chelsea under Jose's first sting reached 95 and 91 points. And getting 95 points was a record for some time. SAF didn't even need to touch 90 points but won the league beating Jose;'s chelsea by getting 89 points in 06-07.

Paul_Scholes18

Yes.

There is no correlation between how good a team is and how many points said team win in a given, isolated league season. Really - what is so hard to understand about this?

Forget about Liverpool. Leicester did better than the treble winners in the league - on points.

Another one (a good one, I think): Jose's Chelsea got 93 points in his second-stint league win. That's better than any Fergie team ever did. What does that tell you?

Or - let me rephrase that: if you were around for the 2016-17 PL season, saw how it unfolded, how the teams actually performed - would you conclude that Chelsea were a better team than any of Fergie's league winning vintages?

If you would, I would call your sanity (or at least your basic ability to understand football) into question.
Now you are being subjective though. You rate our teams since they are our great sides. If they drop points they need to perform badly as well just looking at the league table.
All legendary players had bad games too just like the modern ones that get hated upon. You can argue that they save energy for CL, but we didn't win it that many times.
Chelsea played some good stuff that year under Conte. Efficient team that would have given our SAF sides a run for the money. They could not keep it up without Costa and Matic though next year.
In terms of winning it for many year we have done way better than anyone else. Although for the individual years other teams have been equally impressive.
What is better is hard to tell since they are not playing against each other.

Paul_Scholes18

And that is why I find it amusing when people say even SAF would have struggled to fight for the title against this klopp or pep because he never reached 90 plus points. Well let us rewind the history book, Chelsea under Jose's first sting reached 95 and 91 points. And getting 95 points was a record for some time. SAF didn't even need to touch 90 points but won the league beating Jose;'s chelsea by getting 89 points in 06-07.
Having SAF there with the mindgames is enough to take away 10 points each from Pep and Klopp ;)

He'sRaldo

When you say ' Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild', does that include going for trophies, or is it just limited to refreshing and reshaping the squad?

lysglimt

I seem to recall we looked brilliant up til Jose bottled it and parked the bus against a Liverpool side who were there for the taking. Confidence just seemed to drain from the team after that.
we had a small dip there but bounced back with 4 strong wins (4-1 Newcastle, 4-2 Watford, 3-1 Arsenal and 1-0 Brighton)

But after that we stopped scoring goals - and won just 5 matches with more than 1 goal. Compared to 8 wins by 2 goals or more in our first 15 games.

So 35 goals in our first 15 - and 33 in our last 23 games.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
If 1999 was not part
Apart from 1 or 2 games against Arsenal, which other big game did we actually lose in 1999 as you are saying the big game record was poor?

We actually did well in big games and I doubt there are many other seasons where a team had to face more big teams than us in every single competition. We drew some big games, but didn’t lose them.
In the CL that season we were unbeaten, in the group we faced Bayern and Barça (both won their leagues that season). In the semis we faced Juve who had reached 3 CL finals in a row before playing us in 99.
Then Bayern again in the final without our regular midfield.
In the FA Cup we best Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. Chelsea and Arsenal were in the top 3 in that season. As the first games against both of them were draws we had to play replays, which meant even more fixtures. Basically every game in the last few months felt like a final and with so much on the line. If one actually knows all the factors it is easy to understand why we completed the season with lesser points than some other seasons.

Only one season later we actually managed to win the league with 12 more points, but I wouldn’t say at all that that season was more successful than 99. It was still great though as it confirmed our superiority in England.

Paul_Scholes18

Apart from 1 or 2 games against Arsenal, which other big game did we actually lose in 1999 as you are saying the big game record was poor?

We actually did well in big games and I doubt there are many other seasons where a team had to face more big teams than us in every single competition. We drew some big games, but didn’t lose them.
In the CL that season we were unbeaten, in the group we faced Bayern and Barça (both won their leagues that season). In the semis we faced Juve who had reached 3 CL finals in a row before playing us in 99.
Then Bayern again in the final without our regular midfield.
In the FA Cup we best Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. Chelsea and Arsenal were in the top 3 in that season. As the first games against both of them were draws we had to play replays, which meant even more fixtures. Basically every game in the last few months felt like a final and with so much on the line. If one actually knows all the factors it is easy to understand why we completed the season with lesser points than some other seasons.

Only one season later we actually managed to win the league with 12 more points, but I wouldn’t say at all that that season was more successful than 99. It was still great though as it confirmed our superiority in England.
It was many draws against the top 4. 1 win in 6 I think from looking it up. Yeah in CL is was obviously great in the big games and I know about the famous win over Arsenal in the cup.
The margins are small though with Arsenal behind. Could have easily gone another way. Although SAF had a skill to get things his way in the league.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
It was many draws against the top 4. 1 win in 6 I think from looking it up. Yeah in CL is was obviously great in the big games and I know about the famous win over Arsenal in the cup.
The margins are small though with Arsenal behind. Could have easily gone another way. Although SAF had a skill to get things his way in the league.
Well the margins are mostly small in big games with some CL and WC finals even decided after penalty shootouts.

midnightmare

We actually smashed a lot of teams that season we didn't play like crap at all. I think there's some recency bias in confusing the following season with it and the Sevilla games toward the end. You say clung on but we were 4 points clear.

In the league we got decent results against the top teams, Arsenal twice, Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool, City. The only bad game was the loss to Spurs really and maybe City at home which was overly defensive.

I certainly wouldn't agree with the idiotic idea it compared to any of SAFs top teams but the idea that it wasn't a very good season is as moronic.
Started like a runaway train. Then parked the bus away to the dippers after which (if I remember correctly) we lurched like a passed-out drunk to a loss to Huddersfield. Was never the same after that. By the end of December the league was absolutely done for all practical purposes with a massive gap to City. A few good wins here and there but most were grim affairs that relied heavily on DdG producing one of the best - if not the absolute best - ever seasons of goalkeeping the league has seen. Think of Arsenal away. Any other keeper and we’d lose despite scoring thrice.

By the time we swayed to that shambles against Sevilla, I seem to remember that all anyone could speak of was Liverpool and how they were the team on the up and would overtake us. More great keeping and classic Mourinho games saw us squeak past the line still in second but it was very much “holding on” in each game and overall. That win against the dippers at home was crucial as was that mental game away to City. Injury time winners against Palace and Arsenal I think. But each time, it wasn’t like we were swamping them and being dominant and that “the goal is coming”. It just didn’t feel like we were building up a head of steam. It was joyless. And this was being said by United fans. A majority of us wanted Jose gone before the summer and this wasn’t because of the gap to City. It was because the football was atrocious. Sevilla wasn’t a one-off. It was just the epitome / nadir.

I think for most people, it seemed obvious we were heading for a collapse - and was just a matter of when. When you end the season second, but aren’t being discussed as title challengers for the coming season while the teams below you are, you should know it wasn’t a classic season.

Bilbo

Someone let the rest of the forum know when the points total conversation is finished please

Robbie Boy

I don't think anything new or enlightening has been posted in this thread in a while now. We should all be backing our manager, getting third was a good achievement.

tomaldinho1

Aside from the idiocy of comparing points totals 2 decades apart..

Re the strength of the league.

Leicester won the PL with more points than the 99 treble winning team, Conte then smashed the PL points total first season, Pep then broke that total, Klopp nearly broke that total this year. We just got 3rd place with 66 points for crying out loud when the winners nearly hit 100. What better sign could you have of a less competitve league? PL has never been so weak overall in my opinion.

RedPed

Do 536 Cafites still really want Ole gone and a new manager installed next season or have they just not bothered updating the poll?

Just askin'.

UNITED ACADEMY

I don't think anything new or enlightening has been posted in this thread in a while now. We should all be backing our manager, getting third was a good achievement.
Agree. We were never gonna be expected to move from 6th to challenging the league. It was always gonna be expected to fighting for top 4 and we achieved the best possible position which is 3rd. 66 points is the same points as last season but what's the point if we can't make the top 4 with 66. We got this 3rd place fully deserved because we stole away the points from our competitors by beating them head to head. While last season we couldn't do it which allows them to stole the points away from us & finished above us.

Paul_Scholes18

Aside from the idiocy of comparing points totals 2 decades apart..

Re the strength of the league.

Leicester won the PL with more points than the 99 treble winning team, Conte then smashed the PL points total first season, Pep then broke that total, Klopp nearly broke that total this year. We just got 3rd place with 66 points for crying out loud when the winners nearly hit 100. What better sign could you have of a less competitve league? PL has never been so weak overall in my opinion.
There was way less money for the weaker sides back then. Why would they be stronger in a sport that has evolved since then too? Watching the few games I have the quality also look clearly worse back then. I am talking CL games and
I doubt there is not a gap difference for the weaker sides too.
The weaker sides now can keep their players better and also sign quality from other leagues. Maybe sides are a bit more attacking now though and thus leaves themselfes more exposed for the bigger sides?
Still most side play vs City and try to defend very deep.

Paul_Scholes18

Do 536 Cafites still really want Ole gone and a new manager installed next season or have they just not bothered updating the poll?

Just askin'.
I change my vote now. Has just forgot about it. I am still not sold on Ole to take us to the title and challenge in europe, but he certainly deserves the chance next season and probably one more after that if he does well.
I even said he deserved the chance missing top 4 this season with the restart being the way it is.
Next season is still tricky with Corona so there is less time to really coach the side with a pre season.
Hopefully he can recruit well and add to our squad.

RedPed

I change my vote now. Has just forgot about it. I am still not sold on Ole to take us to the title and challenge in europe, but he certainly deserves the chance next season and probably one more after that if he does well.
I even said he deserved the chance missing top 4 this season with the restart being the way it is.
Next season is still tricky with Corona so there is less time to really coach the side with a pre season.
Hopefully he can recruit well and add to our squad.
You may well be right but what's pissing me off is the anti United/Solskjaer bias and how even Arteta finishing 8th and overseeing Arsenal's worst ever PL season is still getting more credit. How has Lampard had a great season but Solskjaer's just lucky?

vidic blood & sand

Still Ole in. The large gap between us and Liverpool needs closing, and we need to see some evidence of this next season.
However, very nervous about another manager coming in next year and destroying the improvements we've see under Ole. So any potential replacement for Ole next season would have to be screened like it was a matter of life and death.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
When you say ' Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild', does that include going for trophies, or is it just limited to refreshing and reshaping the squad?
I think its the former, but as long as we are showing tangible progress in both results and fotball id imagine most people would be happy.

Exactly when the rebuild is done is hard if not impossible to say with certianty. We are still a level below Pool and City, so we need this window to be good, and probably the next one as well

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Is this thread still going? Finished third - surely he deserves another season to continue the progress? Yeah, there’s lessons to be learned (just like at most other clubs/managers). So let’s hope we learn from it as we continue progressing. Onwards and upwards.

Tom Cato

It includes refreshing and reshaping the squad in perpetuity until the day comes when the team reaches the footballing equivalent of entropy.

Mainoldo

Nice to see this thread still hasn’t died! The regulars aren’t even contributing anymore either.

But just giving my 2 pence worth. He’s done well but he’s still winging it. Ole doesn’t have a clear idea of where he’s going with this. Let’s just keep hope he gets it right.

Tom Cato

Nice to see this thread still hasn’t died! The regulars aren’t even contributing anymore either.

But just giving my 2 pence worth. He’s done well but he’s still winging it. Ole doesn’t have a clear idea of where he’s going with this. Let’s just keep hope he gets it right.
Out of curiosity: What makes you think he's winging it? What is it that you are disagreeing with?

georgipep

Do you expect a manifesto to be published with his signature? I, for one, clearly see where he is going with it. The tactics are very visible and, dare I say, successful so far and it has been a building process the whole season. Considering the circumstances and the inherited squad, in my opinion we are doing very well at the moment.

Mainoldo

Out of curiosity: What makes you think he's winging it? What is it that you are disagreeing with?
Since Spurs when he needed a group huddle between him and his coaching staff to decide how to changed the half back in our favour after Spurs dropped Eriksen deeper.

Since then he’s pretty much just continued to do weird things.
  • Changed the formation from 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1. Granted he said if he didn’t get a midfielder in the summer he had formations to adapt. I take it that was it.
  • He then brought Bruno who is really an 8 but kept the formation the same even when Pogba returned. Granted it was working but I hardly think he’s going to change back does anyone else?
  • Can’t make in game changes to positive effect. He pretty much didn’t use his squad all lock down. We went from maybe Pogba will have to fight his way back into the team to his unstoppable?
  • James was overused then totally underused.. I’m sure subs are allowed to get more than 5-10 mins sub appearance.
  • He need a striker. Did he? We haven’t used Ighalo to any effect really. The only time he used him effectively was against City when he came on to relieve pressure. This has then never been used once since lockdown.
  • Transfers. All good relatively speaking. But what was the plan? Just buy good players? Maguire and Lindelöf are basically the same player. AWB can’t attack even though we are supposed to be playing attacking football. Bruno again he’s an 8 playing a 10. I don’t think that’s what we was thinking when we let Herrera go. Or are we still looking to replace Herrera? James, not very good. But at the same time overused. So if you was going to use your gamble signing a lot maybe get someone like Saint Maximum for the same money.
  • Playing style. We pretty much play the same football Mourinho played except Ole talks positive and he’s wingers aren’t told to be full backs. But put us against a gold side. Like Jose we will sit back and soak up all the pressure.

All that said we got top 3 and hopefully we should have a good transfer window. I just hope people are actually mindful of what’s going on.

gajender

Since Spurs when he needed a group huddle between him and his coaching staff to decide how to changed the half back in our favour after Spurs dropped Eriksen deeper.

• Changed the formation from 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1. Granted he said if he didn’t get a midfielder in the summer he had formations to adapt. I take it that was it.
  • He then brought Bruno who is really an 8 but kept the formation the same even when Pogba returned. Granted it was working but I hardly think he’s going to change back does anyone else?
  • Can’t make in game changes to positive effect. He pretty much didn’t use his squad all lock down. We went from maybe Pogba will have to fight his way back into the team to his unstoppable?
  • James was overused then totally underused.. I’m sure subs are allowed to get more than 5-10 mins sub appearance.
  • He need a striker. Did he? We haven’t used Ighalo to any effect really. The only time he used him effectively was against City when he came on to relieve pressure. This has then never been used once since lockdown.
  • Transfers. All good relatively speaking. But what was the plan? Just buy good players? Maguire and Lindelöf are basically the same player. AWB can’t attack even though we are supposed to be playing attacking football. Bruno again he’s an 8 playing a 10. I don’t think that’s what we was thinking when we let Herrera go. Or are we still looking to replace Herrera? James, not very good. But at the same time overused. So if you was going to use your gamble signing a lot maybe get someone like Saint Maximum for the same money.
  • Playing style. We pretty much play the same football Mourinho played except Ole talks positive and he’s wingers aren’t told to be full backs. But put us against a gold side. Like Jose we will sit back and soak up all the pressure.

All that said we got top 3 and hopefully we should have a good transfer window. I just hope people are actually mindful of what’s going on.
Every Portuguese poster who has seen Fernandes play regularly has said he is No 10 not a No 8 at stretch he can play there ,but Mainoldo knows better because he likes making things up.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.

:lol:

Mainoldo

Every Portuguese poster who has seen Fernandes play regularly has said he is No 10 not a No 8 at stretch he can play there ,but Mainoldo knows better because he likes making things up.
His previous coach says he’s an 8. But the Portuguese guy you know says he’s a 10. But Mainoldo just makes things up. Go get his line up positions for Portugal and Sporting for the last 18 months then smart guy.

Withnail

Bruno again he’s an 8 playing a 10.

Playing style. We pretty much play the same football Mourinho played except Ole talks positive and he’s wingers aren’t told to be full backs. But put us against a gold side. Like Jose we will sit back and soak up all the pressure.
There's so much wrong with your post but these two stood out.

You're going to claim he's playing Bruno out of position at 10 and paint this as a bad thing?

8 goals and 7 assists in 14 PL games would suggest that this was in fact a genius move.

As for the playing style argument I don't even know where to start it's just absolute nonsense. He played counter-attacking against the better teams but it was nothing like Mourinho-ball.

Mainoldo

There's so much wrong with your post but these two stood out.

You're going to claim he's playing Bruno out of position at 10 and paint this as a bad thing?

8 goals and 7 assists in 14 PL games would suggest that this was in fact a genius move.

As for the playing style argument I don't even know where to start it's just absolute nonsense. He played counter-attacking against the better teams but it was nothing like Mourinho-ball.
It’s nothing like Mourinho ball because we like him. The principal is still the same, let the opposition have the ball.

Bruno’s doing alright there but for the team he’s better off playing number 8 with Pogba. The football would also improve.