Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AshRK

When Lindelof is criticized is that hate? No, because people are merely calling it as they see it.

Same with Ole. Criticism isn't necessarily toxicity or hate.
Calling him a league 1 level manager or saying he is just a PE teacher who doesn't have a clue about management is nothing less than stupid comments.

He'sRaldo

Calling him a league 1 level manager or saying he is just a PE teacher who doesn't have a clue about management is nothing less than stupid comments.
Some of it is insults yes, and I don't condone those. But some actually believe that he's a League 1 level manager, not as an insult but as an evaluation. Like how people say James and Lingard are Championship players, because they actually believe so.

Not that I agree with it. He's not on the level of the biggest club in the world for sure, but I don't think he's as bad as league 1.

AshRK

Some of it is insults yes, and I don't condone those. But some actually believe that he's a League 1 level manager, not as an insult but as an evaluation. Like how people say James and Lingard are Championship players, because they actually believe so.

Not that I agree with it. He's not on the level of the biggest club in the world for sure, but I don't think he's as bad as league 1.
But then such people should also have thick skin to take criticism of their comments. To say ole is not a united level manager is one thing, to say he is tactically naive is one thing and can be agreed upon but to say his tactics are so bad like a league one manager or he is just a PE teacher is just an insult to the person and shows the hatred some have for the guy. Whenever we lose I always see one or two comments how he is a crap manager and worse than championship manager or something like that. Doesn't make sense. Again you don't need to be his fan or even like him but you can still have rational criticism for the guy.

I don't like Moyes but I wouldn't come here and devalue his work at Everton or call him worse than league one manager because that just doesn't make sense and just shows a hatred towards the guy.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Yeah, the insults are unwarranted. For some probably a culmination of watching this club's rapid demise.

I'd suspect that as a manager he's the level of bottom half Prem club or a Championship promotion hopefuls.

Sad Chris

At least this season we‘ll be the ones boasting about turning around a 15th place into challenging for a CL spot.

He'sRaldo

But then such people should also have thick skin to take criticism of their comments. To say ole is not a united level manager is one thing, to say he is tactically naive is one thing and can be agreed upon but to say his tactics are so bad like a league one manager or he is just a PE teacher is just an insult to the person and shows the hatred some have for the guy. Whenever we lose I always see one or two comments how he is a crap manager and worse than championship manager or something like that. Doesn't make sense. Again you don't need to be his fan or even like him but you can still have rational criticism for the guy.

I don't like Moyes but I wouldn't come here and devalue his work at Everton or call him worse than league one manager because that just doesn't make sense and just shows a hatred towards the guy.
That's fair.

When the frustration boils over and the insults start then it can get toxic, but I wouldn't say that the comments that are evaluations are necessarily toxic. Just that I don't fully agree with those particular evaluations.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Yeah, the insults are unwarranted. For some probably a culmination of watching this club's rapid demise.

I'd suspect that as a manager he's the level of bottom half Prem club or a Championship promotion hopefuls.
Agree the insults are unwarranted but I seriously doubt he'd make it at a lower PL team. Maybe give him an open cheque book and he just might get somewhere but trying to get average players playing at a higher level is beyond him. As the last 2 years has basically proven.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I do see where you are coming from in terms of fitness however, I do not think Ole helped himself either this game.

1. Prior to the match hailed Bailly for being really fit and looking sharp, plays Lindelof who was dropped by Sweden because he looked tired and run down.

2. Started Pogba who has not had any pre season whilst Donny has been back training with Ajax since mid August and has played 2/3 games

3. Fosu Mensah... we have AWB, Williams, Dalot and he starts him at RB

We can all make excuses for Ole, but this is a recurring theme now. I am Ole in camp at the moment but we have looked crap in games v West Ham, Southampton, Palace, Copenhagen
Wan Bissaka had only 4 training sessions. He went against club orders of going to dubai and had to isolate. He's the reason he didn't start not Ole.

The lack of Professionalism of our players has been shocking. Maguire too.

MinoUTD

Well the question is, is there a manager can succeed with this board? Is there a manager can be supported by the Glazers to choose what he wants and bring what he sees? The problem IMO is bigger than Ole.

cptkeane1993

Wow all this after 1 game! When Chelsea got hammered in their first game of the season, the supporters backed him. (He had no premier league pedigree too at that point.) Our supporters on the other hand, not all but some, seem to give up too quickly and/or can’t see the progress and the vision.

Last season, most outside the club gave Ole no chance but he exceeded expectations and did not just finish mid-table as many predicted and get sacked but rather finished third despite (1) long layoffs to key players and (2) starting the season with no Lukaku replacement and just 1 senior striker. This, alongside getting several players to improve and perform consistently despite being written off previously (Martial, Fred) and revolutionising the club’s recruitment strategy. He understands and bleeds Manchester United, and that translates to the players and hence we now see players wanting to come (or stay in Pogba’s case), to play for the badge and believe in front-foot, attacking football. LVG, Mourinho were big names that failed to truly understand Manchester United despite being more experienced, having a glittering resume and being superior tacticians and hence ultimately it did not work.

It may be that the biggest clubs with deep history and culture in more recent times need a manager that truly understands the club first and foremost more than experience and a strong resume. It could be why Barca and Real didn’t reach their recent heights until Pep and Zidane came in. And it was Conte who started this recent Juve dynasty.

What I’m appealing to folks to recognise is that, a bigger name like a Poch or Allegri are not necessarily guaranteed success at a club like Manchester United with the profile that it has - as one of the biggest names in world sport and the unique joint expectations of playing attractive football, blooding youth and winning trophies at the same time. Ole has shown he can do the first two and with backing from the Board, hopefully we will win trophies too. Personally the form since early 2020 gives me confidence. His front-foot, attacking football with high pressing does rely on high fitness levels though and hence we really need a strong 14-16 man squad to compete. And we will see flat performances from time to time if there isn’t enough rotation (or just plain unfit relative to Palace on Saturday).

With all due respect, we’re not a City or Chelsea where there is less tradition and history to uphold and the expectations from supporters, pundits and the media are simply not the same. For instance, there’s little demand to bring through youth, more of a nice-to-have and it’s perfectly ok to go out and spend the money on experienced ready-made talent.
Also, you can hear in the commentary of any United game - when we’re playing well “that’s the United of old”, “that’s a real United team/player” and when we’re not, the opposite “that’s just not the United way”, “that’s not a United team/player” - the constant comparison - conscious or otherwise - to the heydays of the Ferguson era means the expectations, on players and manager, are amongst the greatest in world club football. You need strong, steely characters for this and it’s not going to be a quick fix unfortunately - we knew it’ll take a few transfer windows. Ole doesn’t show his cards and keeps it professional but the way all who’ve played with him at United back him and believe he has what it takes gives me confidence, as they all do know what it takes of course, more than any of us.

If we get a RW, LB, Bailly/Tuanzebe manage to stay fit and a striker in the January window, then that will allow us to have a much stronger squad and consequently compete real soon, for the first time since Sir Alex.

Let’s get behind our team and our manager guys and stick to the plan. The 2020/21 season has only just started!

Reactions: jojojo

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Wow all this after 1 game! When Chelsea got hammered in their first game of the season, the supporters backed him. (He had no premier league pedigree too at that point.) Our supporters on the other hand, not all but some, seem to give up too quickly and/or can’t see the progress and the vision.

Last season, most outside the club gave Ole no chance but he exceeded expectations and did not just finish mid-table as many predicted and get sacked but rather finished third despite (1) long layoffs to key players and (2) starting the season with no Lukaku replacement and just 1 senior striker. This, alongside getting several players to improve and perform consistently despite being written off previously (Martial, Fred) and revolutionising the club’s recruitment strategy. He understands and bleeds Manchester United, and that translates to the players and hence we now see players wanting to come (or stay in Pogba’s case), to play for the badge and believe in front-foot, attacking football. LVG, Mourinho were big names that failed to truly understand Manchester United despite being more experienced, having a glittering resume and being superior tacticians and hence ultimately it did not work.

It may be that the biggest clubs with deep history and culture in more recent times need a manager that truly understands the club first and foremost more than experience and a strong resume. It could be why Barca and Real didn’t reach their recent heights until Pep and Zidane came in. And it was Conte who started this recent Juve dynasty.

What I’m appealing to folks to recognise is that, a bigger name like a Poch or Allegri are not necessarily guaranteed success at a club like Manchester United with the profile that it has - as one of the biggest names in world sport and the unique joint expectations of playing attractive football, blooding youth and winning trophies at the same time. Ole has shown he can do the first two and with backing from the Board, hopefully we will win trophies too. Personally the form since early 2020 gives me confidence. His front-foot, attacking football with high pressing does rely on high fitness levels though and hence we really need a strong 14-16 man squad to compete. And we will see flat performances from time to time if there isn’t enough rotation (or just plain unfit relative to Palace on Saturday).

With all due respect, we’re not a City or Chelsea where there is less tradition and history to uphold and the expectations from supporters, pundits and the media are simply not the same. For instance, there’s little demand to bring through youth, more of a nice-to-have and it’s perfectly ok to go out and spend the money on experienced ready-made talent.
Also, you can hear in the commentary of any United game - when we’re playing well “that’s the United of old”, “that’s a real United team/player” and when we’re not, the opposite “that’s just not the United way”, “that’s not a United team/player” - the constant comparison - conscious or otherwise - to the heydays of the Ferguson era means the expectations, on players and manager, are amongst the greatest in world club football. You need strong, steely characters for this and it’s not going to be a quick fix unfortunately - we knew it’ll take a few transfer windows. Ole doesn’t show his cards and keeps it professional but the way all who’ve played with him at United back him and believe he has what it takes gives me confidence, as they all do know what it takes of course, more than any of us.

If we get a RW, LB, Bailly/Tuanzebe manage to stay fit and a striker in the January window, then that will allow us to have a much stronger squad and consequently compete real soon, for the first time since Sir Alex.

Let’s get behind our team and our manager guys and stick to the plan. The 2020/21 season has only just started!
Very brave, take care and make sure your life insurance is up to date. ;)

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Bloody hell. You go about accusing people of lying by being purposefully obtuse and then try to make a claim to the higher moral ground.

It is very clear to anyone with an ounce of common sense and no desire to shoehorn others in their agenda boxes that we're discussing Solskjaer independently of his tenure at United. The main points of discussion being whether he'd get anywhere near a similar level of appointment if he wasn't an ex-player of the club and a covenient shield of the Glazers. You might disagree but this is the discussion, not some bloody Columbo fact-unearthing mission.

As for finishing third, it was a decent achievement but given the dismal season from other top clubs and our (and other clubs') crap points total, it's hardly worth more than Jose's second place when we finished 20 points behind City.

You should write more one-sentence posts, as it seems that's all you can do. But before that, I suggest consulting with Google on how you use this whoosh phrase because it clearly whooshed way over your head the first time.
Before he got the job here? Villa approached him in 2012, but he declined because he had just moved back to Norway and did not want to unsettle his family after recently having moved back

All managers have to start somewhere and luck and connections play a huge part in that. Pep for example was also a managerial nobody when he got the job at Barca, Arsenal and Chelsea have also recently hired managers with almost no credentials outside their connection to the clubs they are managing.

For example do you think Liverpool, City, Everton, Spurs or us would have hired Arteta or Lampard out of the blue before they got the jobs at Arsenal/Chelsea? Not a chance

romufc

Rashford's last 10 or so performances have been absolute horror shows for us. That he keeps starting makes it clear as day how badly we need another top forward player to provide competition and rotation with Rash, Martial and Greenwood.

If Sancho did arrive, as it is right now any half competent manager would be dropping Rashford for him straight away.
Exactly, however at the moment Rashford knows he starts every game and plays almost 90 mins. I just dont get it, even with lack of quality, he was quick to bench Greenwood though.

romufc

I doubt the excuses would ever stop when you're dealing with a cult leader. Man City certainly don't seem like they're having match fitness/no-preseason problems. They'll probably go back to blaming Woodward, or God forbids, the wind the next time he loses. A more clear-minded person would think maybe we should get a competent coach that doesn't depend on the players' whims of "good vibes" to win his match. Yes?
There you go. Man City had the same pre season as us, they too have Covid cases and guess what, those players didnt play. A coach has to protect players too, Ole was at fault for playing Pogba.

The reason we signed VDB is so that players like Pogba can be given a rest / dropped when not fit / out of form, but no, he starts him.

How sharp did City player look in comparison to us? They were playing Wolves not Palace. Any other team would have beaten us 5/6 nil.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Now wtf did I say I expect OGS to develop a new system? I wish people stopped putting words in my and others mouths because it makes their argument easier.

I expect him to have a clear way of playing that will be visible within two years of being appointed our head coach. He doesn't. I expect him to know that playing pacy Dan James against CP that sits back is dumb and lead to nothing. I expect him to not play Scott McTominay because he's been raised at the club but cannot string two passes in central midfield. I expect him NOT to take 80 minutes to make decisive subs when we're down on multiple occasions.

As for understanding the culture of the club, that is all well and good but if he's getting schooled on the pitch and cannot make the best use of our (apparently) limited resources to bring in talent to make up for his lack of tactical nous, he's not worth much as a football manager at a top club.

As I've said previously in this thread, he's a problem but the board is the biggest one. The fact we appointed him and keep appointing people not suited to the job is the fault of the hierarchy at this 'football' club.
Never claimed you said, but it seems a few people regard any manager who hasn't developed a system as tactically not good enough.

We have been having a pretty clear playing style for the past 6 months. If you do notice, you see a FB having overlapping runs, with the other full back staying around 20-25 yards off the end of the field - which presumably helps him move into attacking or defensive position fast, the wingers cutting inside, Pogba and Bruno stay outside the box generally, with Pogba a bit further back . The CDM along with the CB's stay at around the half way line mark and move in the required position - forward to recycle and start another attack or move back to stop a counter.

James at Right does not work - pace or not because he likes to occupy the same space AWB likes to come into.

As far as the team selection on Saurday is concerned, it was simply based on player's fitness levels. Matic hasn't played a game since EL, I don't think Fred has as well. I'm pretty sure Greenwood was benched because of his exploits on international duty.

And as far as lack of tactical nous is concerned, how would you explain our record vs the bigger teams? Surely, the tactics used play a bigger role in those games

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
You're delusional. He could get a job at Leicester? You think they would settle for him when the likes of Everton can get Ancoletti. He's a terribly unimpressive manager. The only reason he got a job at Manchester United is because of freaking nepotism. He's being propped up by United's financial resources. When he was flailing about last season, the club bought him a new expensive toy in Bruno. The last time he had to depend on his talent to manage a PL club, he ended up relegating that very club. You'd think West Ham would risk their relegation to appoint someone like him. Delusion.
West Ham appointed Moyes. /debate

golden_blunder

Staff
Before he got the job here? Villa approached him in 2012, but he declined because he had just moved back to Norway and did not want to unsettle his family after recently having moved back

All managers have to start somewhere and luck and connections play a huge part in that. Pep for example was also a managerial nobody when he got the job at Barca, Arsenal and Chelsea have also recently hired managers with almost no credentials outside their connection to the clubs they are managing.

For example do you think Liverpool, City, Everton, Spurs or us would have hired Arteta or Lampard out of the blue before they got the jobs at Arsenal/Chelsea? Not a chance
Exactly. It’s a nonsense narrative

nepotism must have got Lampard the Chelsea job, zidane the Madrid job, pep the Barca job, Roy Keane the Sunderland job, dalglish the Liverpool job. History is full of these opportunities

Mickson

It's clear as a day that Ole is not good enough to coach Manchester United. Maybe he could have a different role, but to actually be in charge of team selection, coaching... not in a million years good enough. Stop kidding yourself. And after two years at United, probably no other team in the league would swap their manager for Solskjaer. That says something.

Matriac

A post that should be worth 2-3 likes at least.

There are many here who still support Ole, but even the staunchest among us rarely have the mental fortitude to participate in these threads right after a bad game. At least there is a long time since we lost in the league, I guess some on here had a lot saved up for when that would happen.
There's so much vitriol on here, and many of you can't keep your arguments straight/factual, which makes the posts come across as very reactionary.

He got us to 3rd in his first full season, as well as 3 semi-finals. And we beat most of our rival teams last season. Is that considered very good at Manchester United? No, but it's consistently across the board better than most years past SAF. Now he needs to show that he can keep the consistency up and we look like we can go those extra steps required to win something.

The current players really like him and wants to play for him, ex-players love him and think he's someone who can turn our club around, the players who join the club all say they are really sold on the vision that Ole told them about for the future.

Yes, I love Ole the character, and I hope as well as believe that he can bring us glory again. But I won't support him blindly if we end up going in the wrong direction. I just think he should be judged on results after full seasons, and not one-off results.

golden_blunder

Staff
It's clear as a day that Ole is not good enough to coach Manchester United. Maybe he could have a different role, but to actually be in charge of team selection, coaching... not in a million years good enough. Stop kidding yourself. And after two years at United, probably no other team in the league would swap their manager for Solskjaer. That says something.
But that’s your subjective opinion. Doesn’t make it right.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Agreed, it doesn’t make it right, but it’s probably true.
You can probably say the same for a lot other managers as well - Lampard, Arteta, maybe even Mou.

Like I said earlier, he had been our reserves manager and done pretty well, he had also won league titles and guided Molde to KO stages of Europa league. Is that enough to be manager of Utd? No. But his CV was more decorated at the time of appointment than Pep at barca, ZZ at RM, Lampard at Chelsea, Pirlo at Juve, and so on.

I just don't see why he shouldn't be backed especially after last season.

Wilt

Would all the other teams in the league want Lampard as their manager, or Arteta? Also ex-club figures who have landed top positions.
Firstly, I would never say all teams.

Maybe not so much Lampard, although that said I’d be surprised if he couldn’t. But I’m fairly sure Arteta could easily get another job in the prem if he wanted to.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Exactly, however at the moment Rashford knows he starts every game and plays almost 90 mins. I just dont get it, even with lack of quality, he was quick to bench Greenwood though.
I've seen it quoted on this forum that a back injury, similar to what Rashford had, can take months to really cure/get over, so I'm not surprised that he keeps getting games, he will turn his form around sooner or later. Greenwood is 18, and potentially still growing. Playing too many games could hinder him physically, also he's been through the mill in the press lately, so I can understand why Ole tried to keep him out the limelight.

Mickson

You can probably say the same for a lot other managers as well - Lampard, Arteta, maybe even Mou.

Like I said earlier, he had been our reserves manager and done pretty well, he had also won league titles and guided Molde to KO stages of Europa league. Is that enough to be manager of Utd? No. But his CV was more decorated at the time of appointment than Pep at barca, ZZ at RM, Lampard at Chelsea, Pirlo at Juve, and so on.

I just don't see why he shouldn't be backed especially after last season.
What I said was that no other club would switch their manager for Ole. You seriously don't think that a lot of clubs would take Arteta or Lampard?

lRed

Well the question is, is there a manager can succeed with this board? Is there a manager can be supported by the Glazers to choose what he wants and bring what he sees? The problem IMO is bigger than Ole.
My first answer is no.
My second is, eventually, with time, which Ole doesn't -really- have. He could succeed, I think he is one of the few who can do it. I'd say it's the "less" worst if you can say it in English.

By the way, this thread is a joke, always voted keep/Solskjaer in, it's flipping around everytime I come back here.

romufc

I've seen it quoted on this forum that a back injury, similar to what Rashford had, can take months to really cure/get over, so I'm not surprised that he keeps getting games, he will turn his form around sooner or later. Greenwood is 18, and potentially still growing. Playing too many games could hinder him physically, also he's been through the mill in the press lately, so I can understand why Ole tried to keep him out the limelight.
Which is why we should be nursing Rashford? He is also said to have been playing on an injury at the end of the season.

Keeping someone out the limelight is different to bringing him on at half time though. I understand he is still growing, which is why it is so important to sign players.

jackal&hyde

I wish the Liverpool board had the same mentality as the Ole out brigade and fired Klopp while he was Flopp for 3 seasons instead of having patience to fix the mess of a squad they had.

Idxomer

I wish the Liverpool board had the same mentality as the Ole out brigade and fired Klopp while he was Flopp for 3 seasons instead of having patience to fix the mess of a squad they had.
Silly banter on football forums don't always match reality, this Flopp reached 2 European finals in those 3 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.