Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jackal&hyde

Silly banter on football forums don't always match reality, this Flopp reached 2 European finals in those 3 seasons.
Still not as silly as pretending not to see the improvement in almost every player, exceeding expectations in league position and making 4 semi finals, all in the first full season. Much more reasonable to lose our minds after the first game of the season when the team is not even match fit.

Zen86

Firstly, I would never say all teams.

Maybe not so much Lampard, although that said I’d be surprised if he couldn’t. But I’m fairly sure Arteta could easily get another job in the prem if he wanted to.
What have they done that Ole hasn’t?

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What I said was that no other club would switch their manager for Ole. You seriously don't think that a lot of clubs would take Arteta or Lampard?
I'm sorry but what have Arteta and Lampard got on their CV that Ole hasn't? I'm pretty sure that should all three of them get sacked tomorrow, all three will end up in teams chasing similar targets.

Arteta got the job at Arsenal just because he was Pep's assistant. He's done well, but they did finish 8th in the league last season.

Lampard - I can put my neck on the line and say that Lampard won't be the Chelsea manager at the start of next season. Going forward, his teams are pretty good, but defensively I think he is way too naive.

jackal&hyde

I'm sorry but what have Arteta and Lampard got on their CV that Ole hasn't? I'm pretty sure that should all three of them get sacked tomorrow, all three will end up in teams chasing similar targets.

Arteta got the job at Arsenal just because he was Pep's assistant. He's done well, but they did finish 8th in the league last season.

Lampard - I can put my neck on the line and say that Lampard won't be the Chelsea manager at the start of next season. Going forward, his teams are pretty good, but defensively I think he is way too naive.
The huge summer spending might work against him. Anything less then 3ed and he's out imo, safe for a CL win/final.

rotherham_red

Wow all this after 1 game! When Chelsea got hammered in their first game of the season, the supporters backed him. (He had no premier league pedigree too at that point.) Our supporters on the other hand, not all but some, seem to give up too quickly and/or can’t see the progress and the vision.

Last season, most outside the club gave Ole no chance but he exceeded expectations and did not just finish mid-table as many predicted and get sacked but rather finished third despite (1) long layoffs to key players and (2) starting the season with no Lukaku replacement and just 1 senior striker. This, alongside getting several players to improve and perform consistently despite being written off previously (Martial, Fred) and revolutionising the club’s recruitment strategy. He understands and bleeds Manchester United, and that translates to the players and hence we now see players wanting to come (or stay in Pogba’s case), to play for the badge and believe in front-foot, attacking football. LVG, Mourinho were big names that failed to truly understand Manchester United despite being more experienced, having a glittering resume and being superior tacticians and hence ultimately it did not work.

It may be that the biggest clubs with deep history and culture in more recent times need a manager that truly understands the club first and foremost more than experience and a strong resume. It could be why Barca and Real didn’t reach their recent heights until Pep and Zidane came in. And it was Conte who started this recent Juve dynasty.

What I’m appealing to folks to recognise is that, a bigger name like a Poch or Allegri are not necessarily guaranteed success at a club like Manchester United with the profile that it has - as one of the biggest names in world sport and the unique joint expectations of playing attractive football, blooding youth and winning trophies at the same time. Ole has shown he can do the first two and with backing from the Board, hopefully we will win trophies too. Personally the form since early 2020 gives me confidence. His front-foot, attacking football with high pressing does rely on high fitness levels though and hence we really need a strong 14-16 man squad to compete. And we will see flat performances from time to time if there isn’t enough rotation (or just plain unfit relative to Palace on Saturday).

With all due respect, we’re not a City or Chelsea where there is less tradition and history to uphold and the expectations from supporters, pundits and the media are simply not the same. For instance, there’s little demand to bring through youth, more of a nice-to-have and it’s perfectly ok to go out and spend the money on experienced ready-made talent.
Also, you can hear in the commentary of any United game - when we’re playing well “that’s the United of old”, “that’s a real United team/player” and when we’re not, the opposite “that’s just not the United way”, “that’s not a United team/player” - the constant comparison - conscious or otherwise - to the heydays of the Ferguson era means the expectations, on players and manager, are amongst the greatest in world club football. You need strong, steely characters for this and it’s not going to be a quick fix unfortunately - we knew it’ll take a few transfer windows. Ole doesn’t show his cards and keeps it professional but the way all who’ve played with him at United back him and believe he has what it takes gives me confidence, as they all do know what it takes of course, more than any of us.

If we get a RW, LB, Bailly/Tuanzebe manage to stay fit and a striker in the January window, then that will allow us to have a much stronger squad and consequently compete real soon, for the first time since Sir Alex.

Let’s get behind our team and our manager guys and stick to the plan. The 2020/21 season has only just started!
Top man, and top post.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
What I said was that no other club would switch their manager for Ole. You seriously don't think that a lot of clubs would take Arteta or Lampard?
No? Most bookies and experts predicted that Chelsea would finish top 4 last season and they barely scraped it, very few thought we would get there. Arsenal ended up in 8th, for a club that has been a regular CL contender i dont think thats particularly impressive

Link
Link

jackal&hyde

Wow all this after 1 game! When Chelsea got hammered in their first game of the season, the supporters backed him. (He had no premier league pedigree too at that point.) Our supporters on the other hand, not all but some, seem to give up too quickly and/or can’t see the progress and the vision.

Last season, most outside the club gave Ole no chance but he exceeded expectations and did not just finish mid-table as many predicted and get sacked but rather finished third despite (1) long layoffs to key players and (2) starting the season with no Lukaku replacement and just 1 senior striker. This, alongside getting several players to improve and perform consistently despite being written off previously (Martial, Fred) and revolutionising the club’s recruitment strategy. He understands and bleeds Manchester United, and that translates to the players and hence we now see players wanting to come (or stay in Pogba’s case), to play for the badge and believe in front-foot, attacking football. LVG, Mourinho were big names that failed to truly understand Manchester United despite being more experienced, having a glittering resume and being superior tacticians and hence ultimately it did not work.

It may be that the biggest clubs with deep history and culture in more recent times need a manager that truly understands the club first and foremost more than experience and a strong resume. It could be why Barca and Real didn’t reach their recent heights until Pep and Zidane came in. And it was Conte who started this recent Juve dynasty.

What I’m appealing to folks to recognise is that, a bigger name like a Poch or Allegri are not necessarily guaranteed success at a club like Manchester United with the profile that it has - as one of the biggest names in world sport and the unique joint expectations of playing attractive football, blooding youth and winning trophies at the same time. Ole has shown he can do the first two and with backing from the Board, hopefully we will win trophies too. Personally the form since early 2020 gives me confidence. His front-foot, attacking football with high pressing does rely on high fitness levels though and hence we really need a strong 14-16 man squad to compete. And we will see flat performances from time to time if there isn’t enough rotation (or just plain unfit relative to Palace on Saturday).

With all due respect, we’re not a City or Chelsea where there is less tradition and history to uphold and the expectations from supporters, pundits and the media are simply not the same. For instance, there’s little demand to bring through youth, more of a nice-to-have and it’s perfectly ok to go out and spend the money on experienced ready-made talent.
Also, you can hear in the commentary of any United game - when we’re playing well “that’s the United of old”, “that’s a real United team/player” and when we’re not, the opposite “that’s just not the United way”, “that’s not a United team/player” - the constant comparison - conscious or otherwise - to the heydays of the Ferguson era means the expectations, on players and manager, are amongst the greatest in world club football. You need strong, steely characters for this and it’s not going to be a quick fix unfortunately - we knew it’ll take a few transfer windows. Ole doesn’t show his cards and keeps it professional but the way all who’ve played with him at United back him and believe he has what it takes gives me confidence, as they all do know what it takes of course, more than any of us.

If we get a RW, LB, Bailly/Tuanzebe manage to stay fit and a striker in the January window, then that will allow us to have a much stronger squad and consequently compete real soon, for the first time since Sir Alex.

Let’s get behind our team and our manager guys and stick to the plan. The 2020/21 season has only just started!
Great post and i'l give my 2 cents about a difference between Chelsea and Lampard and United and Ole. Chelsea won the title 2 times in the last 6 or so years with a number of cups too. United had a major fall from grace after SAF retired and our fans have accumulated a lot of anger and frustration, for good reason.

If last season's results were the season immediately after SAF retired, 3ed place with 4 semifinals in the process of a major rebuild, we would not see 5% of the negativity we see today. It's unfair as feck on Ole, but he is caring 7 or 8 years of fan frustration.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The huge summer spending might work against him. Anything less then 3ed and he's out imo, safe for a CL win/final.
I think finishing 3rd will save his job only if they finish with around 80 odd points. I still have no idea why they decided to buy 6 first teamers in one go. It was stupid and it would add to the pressure Lampard would face when things don't go his way.

Mickson

No? Most bookies and experts predicted that Chelsea would finish top 4 last season and they barely scraped it, very few thought we would get there. Arsenal ended up in 8th, for a club that has been a regular CL contender i dont think thats particularly impressive

Link
Link
Well, just say that I disagree. There is a reason that Arteta got the job, he was very good at City and he has improved Arsenal a lot in a short period of time. I think, without a doubt, that Fulham, WBA, Newcastle, Villa etc would hire him now if they had the chance.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Well, just say that I disagree. There is a reason that Arteta got the job, he was very good at City and he has improved Arsenal a lot in a short period of time. I think, without a doubt, that Fulham, WBA, Newcastle, Villa etc would hire him now if they had the chance.
He got the job because they sacked Emery mid season and where not exactly spoiled for choice on who to hire, so pretty much the same situation as it was with Ole.

Being an assistant is not at all the same as being manager and i dont know how you could conclude he did very good at City unless you sit on inside info. If you claim that no other club would hire Ole and in the same sentence claim they would hire Arteta you have to back it up with something substantial.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
How do people know what assistant managers or coaches do, even at other clubs?

Karlos PFC

It could be why Barca and Real didn’t reach their recent heights until Pep and Zidane came in. And it was Conte who started this recent Juve dynasty.
These teams reached their heights with these managers almost immediately for different reasons.
Barca had Pep doesn't need further explaining, also Xavi, Iniesta, Mesi

Real was already a great team but obviously they didn't like Benitez given that none of them wanted Ancelotti gone and were quite vocal about it in social media (Ronaldo, Ramos, Modric, James, etc).
So basically they were against Perez mostly.

And finally Juve reached their height at the time of the economic crisis when most of the clubs and mostly Inter and Milan stopped spending and started buying mediocre players. And basically the whole league went to shit

If Ole was that special manager that would lead us to the top of the league, we would have seen it by now or at least we would see some kind of progression football-wise. Instead he is here 2,5 years and we don't look any better than when Mou left. He managed to get us 3rd thanks to everyone else ,bar City and Pool, being shit.

AlwaysTheKop

Supports
Liverpool
As far as keeping you away from the top two places, I’d love for you to keep him in place, I think it’s a management on nostalgia and the best I can see you guys achieving while he’s in place is the ‘Can we get top 4’ conversation each season.

But! Saying that, and as a Liverpool fan, there’s also a bit of me that wants United back up there, for me our rivalry is still unmatched in world football and it feels like it’s being replaced on our side with City being our arch rivals, the games against you guys has started to lose its pull, so as much as it goes against everything you’d usually hear from rivals, I’d prefer it if you were once again title challengers, because at the end of the day you can’t not respect your club on how it was built, compared to City, and would prefer a real club and rival near the top,but I don’t think that happens with Ole.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Still not as silly as pretending not to see the improvement in almost every player, exceeding expectations in league position and making 4 semi finals, all in the first full season. Much more reasonable to lose our minds after the first game of the season when the team is not even match fit.
Excuse me? Improvement in almost every player?? Who? Our back 5 as individuals haven't improved whatsoever and it could be argued they're going backwards. Fred improved with game time . Put him in for the last 30 minutes and he will do nothing. Same as McT. Pogba has improved? Missed that memo. We haven't had time to Ruin Bruno yet but that'll come. James has improved? Don't think so. The only 2 cases of improvement could be Rashford and Martial but both players have purple patches then disappear for months. When they can play consistent for a full season then they can be judged if they've improved to a United standard.

Matriac

These teams reached their heights with these managers almost immediately for different reasons.
Barca had Pep doesn't need further explaining, also Xavi, Iniesta, Mesi

Real was already a great team but obviously they didn't like Benitez given that none of them wanted Ancelotti gone and were quite vocal about it in social media (Ronaldo, Ramos, Modric, James, etc).
So basically they were against Perez mostly.

And finally Juve reached their height at the time of the economic crisis when most of the clubs and mostly Inter and Milan stopped spending and started buying mediocre players. And basically the whole league went to shit

If Ole was that special manager that would lead us to the top of the league, we would have seen it by now or at least we would see some kind of progression football-wise. Instead he is here 2,5 years and we don't look any better than when Mou left. He managed to get us 3rd thanks to everyone else ,bar City and Pool, being shit.

I think you are over-simplifying some of those other reasons. Pep just because pep and good players? Great argument.

That the players didn't like the experienced managers and had social media spats until they appointed a club legend that understood the club more? Gee, why does that sound familiar?

And Ole is 3 months away from being here for 2 years. 6 months away if you count from him being appointed permanent and starting to properly plan for the future.

And in my opinion we look loads better than under Mou. I know many others feel the same way.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I'll wait 'til the end of the season. But I've stated numerous times already, I really don't find anything interesting or modern in the way he sets up the team. We're very predictable, very slow when we play vs defensive team. It's like a Mourinho team, only Ole trusts young players a bit more.

jackal&hyde

Excuse me? Improvement in almost every player?? Who? Our back 5 as individuals haven't improved whatsoever and it could be argued they're going backwards. Fred improved with game time . Put him in for the last 30 minutes and he will do nothing. Same as McT. Pogba has improved? Missed that memo. We haven't had time to Ruin Bruno yet but that'll come. James has improved? Don't think so. The only 2 cases of improvement could be Rashford and Martial but both players have purple patches then disappear for months. When they can play consistent for a full season then they can be judged if they've improved to a United standard.
That is a text book example of why religious debates are easier then some of the Ole out brigade. Pogba was injured for a lot of the season ffs... the defense was 3 goals worse then the best in the league. Having had time to ruin Bruno :lol:

Matriac

That is a text book example of why religious debates are easier then some of the Ole out brigade. Pogba was injured for a lot of the season ffs... the defense was 3 goals worse then the best in the league. Having had time to ruin Bruno :lol:
Was thinking earlier that I would love for there to be a way to separate the forum between those that simply want to complain about the state of things and those who want to remain positive/constructive.

AshRK

I'll wait 'til the end of the season. But I've stated numerous times already, I really don't find anything interesting or modern in the way he sets up the team. We're very predictable, very slow when we play vs defensive team. It's like a Mourinho team, only Ole trusts young players a bit more.
Did you see us play against sevilla last month. It was nothing like what Jose did against the same opponents 2 years ago. We should have won that night and literally dominated them and don't know how we couldn't take those chances. Ole's style may not be pep's but he is no jose too.

Karlos PFC

I think you are over-simplifying some of those other reasons. Pep just because pep and good players? Great argument.

That the players didn't like the experienced managers and had social media spats until they appointed a club legend that understood the club more? Gee, why does that sound familiar?

And Ole is 3 months away from being here for 2 years. 6 months away if you count from him being appointed permanent and starting to properly plan for the future.

And in my opinion we look loads better than under Mou. I know many others feel the same way.
What else is there to say about Pep. You can find in this thread and many others every argument there is that has been said about him.

Zidane isn't just a club legend that understands the club. He can OBVIOUSLY control the prima donas in the locker room. He never left the club as a coach and he was assistant manager while Ancelotti was there and that played a huge role cause the players loved Karleto. And of course he is Zinedine Zidane one of the greatest players ever and the greatest of his generation. That commands respect.
I'm not saying that he won everything with Real just because he is ZZ, we've seen that a great player doesn't always becomes good manager i.e. Maradona

So we dismiss the first 6 months that took over after Mourinho, because that wasn't his team? He was the freaking manager, that led us against PSG but ALSO into 4-0 defeat at Everton and 2-0 defeat at Old Trafford with the mighty but relegated Cardiff.

I think I'm starting to see a pattern here with the purple patches and crap finishing every season.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Never have been, never will be a religious person so I don't go on pure, blind faith which seems to be affecting a lot of people since Ole has been appointed.

Can you honestly sit there and tell the forum that Maquire has improved as a player? AWB, Lindelof, De Gea? Shaw from what he actually was before he came to us? Fred and McT when they don't get a run of games are hardly world beaters. You really think Ole is going to turn Pogba into a balon d'or candidate? Can you see James tearing up the league? I've already given you Martial and Rashford although for me the jury is still out.

I'm probably going the wrong way about this so I'll ask you, who do you think has improved under Ole?

Matriac

So we dismiss the first 6 months that took over after Mourinho, because that wasn't his team? He was the freaking manager, that led us against PSG but ALSO into 4-0 defeat at Everton and 2-0 defeat at Old Trafford with the mighty but relegated Cardiff.
i'm not dismissing any of it. You said he has been here for 2.5 years.

I pointed out he's 3 months away from 2 years. 1.5 seasons. And I just pointed out that for his first months here he wasn't planning a rehaul of the club any further than getting the team to the summer.

scudetto_boy

Supports
St Mirren
I swear this forum shows why we're so exploited by the American leeches. Some of you people wear your blind support as a badge of honor.
[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more, tribal & narrow thinking on show a great deal. I've saw plenty of it in Glasgow for over 4 decades. Trust me, it get's people nowhere!!!

scudetto_boy

Supports
St Mirren
I voted to keep Ole but the back will always stop at a manager who has been in the job for as long as he has.

lewwoo

All on the board. There must come a point when we need to see who is to blame for this mess. How many managers fail before the glazer pr team wake up.

Jaxa

You know,

I've been a big advocate of Ole and he's done so much right, most importantly sorting out the toxic mess Jose left and has tried his hardest to lift the mood at this club, something which is overlooked as important at times, and done a great job at it and I think there's been so much times since he took i've enjoyed watching us play, I also still hold to this day the biggest issue at this club is not the manager, it's the incompetent board and until that is fixed we will never really be any sort of european powerhouse,

However, for the first time since his takeover, little doubts are starting to creep in and perhaps a sad realisation we might not lift a trophy with Ole at the helm and it's gutting to think it might not happen, Ole is a club legend and such a nice guy, you just want him so badly to succeed here and lead us back to glory, well i do anyway,

But i really am struggling to see any sort of identity or plan with this team, most games i am really confused at what our plan is to win the game other than hope for individual pieces of brilliance, tonight against Luton, this team we have fielded, as sh*te as we may say they are there's champions league/premier league/erdevise/europa league winners out there and we hardly look a championship outfit nevermind a team that finished 3rd in the premier league, we just look absolutely hopeless and devoid of any sort of plan from the manager,

This is not knee jerk btw, it's been something i have been closely watching for a whole, i am doing a part time course in sport management so been watching back a lot of our old games, studying patterns of play, adaptation to opposition play and how to counteract that etc and been comparing our approach to the Scousers, Madrid of 2016/17, Bayern this year and it's a very worrying watch at how we handle a game over 90 minutes compared to some of the better teams out there,

Anyway, just my two cent, we do have an issue at this club with hanging on to nostalgia like no other and at times i worry that is hampering us most, even me wanting Ole to win with us because he is a club legend is an example but i would not choose that over winning with someone else that has zero association to us.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I'm no Ole fanatic, but yeah we lost our first game. Its shit, but you cannot honestly start thinking about sacking the manager until December. Or you know at least a consistent string of games.

edgecutter

I'm no Ole fanatic, but yeah we lost our first game. Its shit, but you cannot honestly start thinking about sacking the manager until December. Or you know at least a consistent string of games.
The signs are there and have been for a long time. Ole is very lucky to still have this job after the horrendous season last year till bruno arrived.

starman

The signs are there and have been for a long time. Ole is very lucky to still have this job after the horrendous season last year till bruno arrived.
This argument that gets used is so stupid, buying players to improve the team is the name of the game for managers.

The only sign is there always going to be fickle fans that are not prepared to give time and just want instant success.

Gehrman

I know but lets look where we are in 15 games. My preferred choice woud be Nagelsmann despite his young age. Want someone who's innovative and on the up. Allegri is a bit of a Mourinho style choice and of course there's Poch, but not sure he is a good fit.

edgecutter

I know but lets look where we are in 15 games. My preferred choice woud be Nagelsmann despite his young age. Want someone who's innovative and on the up. Allegri is a bit of a Mourinho style choice and of course there's Poch, but not sure he is a good fit.
I would hate Allegri.

Ole can still do this job, but I think we need a shack up with the coaching staff.

Pace Abuser

We finished 3rd last season :lol:
With an abysmal 66 points. A million points away from top. Bruno came and lifted the team with his way of playing, which seems to have regressed as he's settled in with the team.

Gehrman

That only happened when we finally signed Bruno, do you honestly think we would have got there without him?
TBH it's not really surprising that replacing Lindgaard with Bruno made a difference. It would be a bit like beating Fergie for the succes of signing Cantona.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Feel sorry for OleOut crew tonight.

Must be so frustrating when we win and they can’t moan.

Status
Not open for further replies.