Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shaky

Klopp before he came to Liverpool and before he won anything at Liverpool has shown and has the track record that he is a top class manager who wins trophies. Just like SAF before he came to United. Ole has shown nothing of that sort even before he came here and during his season and half here. All he is doing is on faith because he has scored one of our most important goals and he was a top class striker. To add to that Jose self imploded at United.
Ole performed fine in his first full season. Get over it.

georgipep

He is the only manager in football that can turn a 7-1 defeat into a 3-2 victory.

If he was a better coach, I would have faith in him to win multiple trophies and bring United back to its glory days. However, it has been 2 plus years and the only improvement I have seen is in the quality of our squad. If we sign multiple players before the windows ends and not see any positive result from that, he should be sacked before we miss out on Pochettino
How is turning a 7-1 defeat into a 3-2 victory a bad thing?

And, btw, how come Pochettino is still unemployed? I thought he was the hottest property in world football? Quite a few teams have changed managers since he was, ahum, let go by Tottenham, and yet, he remains on the sidelines...

I'm guessing you will say he's waiting for Ole or Pep to be sacked/resign? You know that Pochettino was available when Ole was appointed as permanent manager, right?

Matriac

And, btw, how come Pochettino is still unemployed? I thought he was the hottest property in world football? Quite a few teams have changed managers since he was, ahum, let go by Tottenham, and yet, he remains on the sidelines...

I'm guessing you will say he's waiting for Ole or Pep to be sacked/resign? You know that Pochettino was available when Ole was appointed as permanent manager, right?
Poch was still under contract with Tottenham at the time, so we would have had to purchase him from Levy if we wanted. Mou has just been in the job for under a year now, I know it feels like longer.

About Amadeus, he's just roleplaying. His character sheet says he has to back Poch above all at any possible turn.

georgipep

Poch was still under contract with Tottenham at the time, so we would have had to purchase him from Levy if we wanted. Mou has just been in the job for under a year now, I know it feels like longer.

About Amadeus, he's just roleplaying. His character sheet says he has to back Poch above all at any possible turn.
Damn, it does feel longer. Jose has that effect on people I guess. On a more positive note (in relation to Spurs and Mourinho):

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
He is the only manager in football that can turn a 7-1 defeat into a 3-2 victory.

If he was a better coach, I would have faith in him to win multiple trophies and bring United back to its glory days. However, it has been 2 plus years and the only improvement I have seen is in the quality of our squad. If we sign multiple players before the windows ends and not see any positive result from that, he should be sacked before we miss out on Pochettino
So you never saw our improved position in the league table? You didn’t see that we finished 3rd? You never saw the 3 games that we beat City? Less goals conceded? Front 3 scoring goals at will? Bruno transforming how we click as a team?

you didn’t see any of that:confused:

It’s not OGS’s fault that you have dodgy eyes. You needs to visit www.specsavers.com

FatherWolff

That's not how it works either.

Ole: I want you to buy me Maquire.
Ed: Maquire will cost 80m making him the most expensive defender ever and will use up most of your transfer kitty meaning you wont have much to spend on other players, are you sure about this have you got any other alternatives?
Ole: No thats OK I still want you to get me Maquire

Thats how it works.
Mate. You need to Get some real time experience..
Klopp before he came to Liverpool and before he won anything at Liverpool has shown and has the track record that he is a top class manager who wins trophies. Just like SAF before he came to United. Ole has shown nothing of that sort even before he came here and during his season and half here. All he is doing is on faith because he has scored one of our most important goals and he was a top class striker. To add to that Jose self imploded at United.
what a train wreck of a post. Ole has 100% earned this season, you have said so yourself.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman

Because it takes a crazy amount of luck for that to happen. Even Ole himself admitted that and without such luck, he will be doing much worse than he is doing. What happens when that luck runs out?

Pochettino isn’t in a hurry to get back and is waiting for the right opportunity. I don’t blame him either as a few managers position at a top club doesn’t look too secure at the moment. Not sure how any United fan can look at our performance and think Ole job is secure.The only reason Ole got the position when Poch was available because he went on a great run towards the end, a lot thanks to the individuals brilliance of Pogba and new manager bounce moving away from the negativity of Mourinho. That run was a lot of positive, so it was no surprise he got it on a permanent then, but we are two years in and what is there to show after spending over £200m? Nothing but a good transfer recruitment strategy.
So you never saw our improved position in the league table? You didn’t see that we finished 3rd? You never saw the 3 games that we beat City? Less goals conceded? Front 3 scoring goals at will? Bruno transforming how we click as a team?

you didn’t see any of that:confused:

It’s not OGS’s fault that you have dodgy eyes. You needs to visit www.specsavers.com
Improved on 66 points tally :lol:. Before the reset, Ole stat was worse than Moyes and he broke negative record after negative record. Then our board signed Bruno and he started playing MMM, and things changed. We beat those teams because our tactics falls right in to their weakness. It is a tactic that won’t make us win the league because we struggle to break team down when in possession, which is what we need to be consistently good. The only one that has dodgy eyes are those that can look at our performance and say we are heading in the right direction. Only thing heading in the right direction is our board as they keep supplying our managers with a lot of funds.

Zlatans Knee

There are so many rumours about who we are trying to sign and the only thing I know is that if we don't sign anyone else this will be a catastrofeck of a season. That opening season loss and the manner we have played so far has put massive pressure on Ole now, any bad result (such as not beating Spurs in the next league match) and people will be calling for his head if they have not done so already.
Maybe by next Monday the whole transfer strategy will suddenly become clear and we will be singing and dancing about our negotiating geniuses but I seriously doubt it. Over the past few years we have dug ourselves a massive hole, handing out huge contracts to mediocre at best players. We are now reaping the consequences of it. And it will be Ole's head that will roll, not that twat Woodward.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Improved on 66 points tally :lol:. Before the reset, Ole stat was worse than Moyes and he broke negative record after negative record. Then our board signed Bruno and he started playing MMM, and things changed. We beat those teams because our tactics falls right in to their weakness. It is a tactic that won’t make us win the league because we struggle to break team down when in possession, which is what we need to be consistently good. The only one that has dodgy eyes are those that can look at our performance and say we are heading in the right direction. Only thing heading in the right direction is our board as they keep supplying our managers with a lot of funds.
Try it: www.specsavers.com
will change the way you see the world forever ;)

Foxbatt

Ole performed fine in his first full season. Get over it.
So did everyone else apart from Moyes. But that's not enough for Manchester United. That's why they were sacked. If he doesn't get better this season and win a trophy and get cl spot he has to be sacked.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
People on here do realize that no one remembers and actually cares about the points total right after a point in time? Hell I'd rather prefer we get 40 points and win the league instead of finishing 2nd after getting a 110 points.

If everyone else is shit, why are you blaming Ole or the manager whose side was the least shit for that matter? If anything, the mental resolve our side showed in last 6 months of the season should be appreciated as we managed to get a top 3 position despite having been 14-15 points off 3rd in Jan'20

redIndianDevil

But again, to successfully implement such a system you need both the right type of players and more importantly: Time. And again with the Klopp example: In the PL he ended up 8th, 4th and 4th before it really came together for them. And Klopp is one of the best managers in the world and certainly the best at this particular style of play. Yet, you demand Ole does it now, without the time to implement it nor the time to get the right type of players. If we had gone all out trying to play high press/possession last year i am 100% certain we would not have qualified for the CL. I doubt fans would be happy with that
No one is asking Ole to turn it around and win the title now, where is the gradual improvement? Klopp's Liverpool showed gradual improvement every season, his impact was almost instant and he gradually built up the squad before dominating. If you thing we are improving you are clearly mad, we still struggle to beat midtable teams, passing, movement, pressing nothing has improved. Every season we outspend other midtable and lower table clubs and depend on some individual brilliance to pull us to in and around 4th.

dove

People on here do realize that no one remembers and actually cares about the points total right after a point in time? Hell I'd rather prefer we get 40 points and win the league instead of finishing 2nd after getting a 110 points.

If everyone else is shit, why are you blaming Ole or the manager whose side was the least shit for that matter? If anything, the mental resolve our side showed in last 6 months of the season should be appreciated as we managed to get a top 3 position despite having been 14-15 points off 3rd in Jan'20
People do realise that. However according to Ole supporters, we are improving under him however neither points nor performances confirm that fact. So what do we use to measure the improvement?

georgipep

Because it takes a crazy amount of luck for that to happen. Even Ole himself admitted that and without such luck, he will be doing much worse than he is doing. What happens when that luck runs out?

Pochettino isn’t in a hurry to get back and is waiting for the right opportunity. I don’t blame him either as a few managers position at a top club doesn’t look too secure at the moment. Not sure how any United fan can look at our performance and think Ole job is secure.The only reason Ole got the position when Poch was available because he went on a great run towards the end, a lot thanks to the individuals brilliance of Pogba and new manager bounce moving away from the negativity of Mourinho. That run was a lot of positive, so it was no surprise he got it on a permanent then, but we are two years in and what is there to show after spending over £200m? Nothing but a good transfer recruitment strategy.

I think you are in the wrong place then. I think there are plenty of Facebook fan groups for mass jerk-offs on the tactical genius of Pochettino. It just feels you are wasting your time and emotions on Manchester United and wishing the club to do poorly so there might be a remote chance of getting your favourite manager appointed.

Anustart89

It hardly matters how many points got you 3rd or 4th or whatever. At the end, of the day, we were the 3rd best team in the league and that's all that matters. Points across two seasons mean nothing. A lower point tally for everyone might well explain that the lower teams are getting more competitive, and it was quite evident when you look at the fact that Wolves, Leicester, Spurs, SHU along with Utd and Chelsea were competing for two spots till GW32-33.

Had posted this table earlier, and will post it again:

We've improved on close to every single meaningful metric and yet, you believe there has been no progress. As far as low blocks are concerned, we figured that it was an issue and we corrected it by buying Bruno.
As far as squad depth is concerned, remember that this was a Mourinho side before this - two managers with contrasting styles of play. His players wouldn't be suited to Ole and vice versa, so obviously, it will take time to add in all the squad depth.
I disagree with the first point, I think the amount of points do matter when the points tally is one that usually doesn't get you fourth. It means that if your team is performing consistently at that 66 point level, you're more likely to end up outside top 4 than in it. How is that not relevant to a discussion as to whether Ole is the man to take us forward? Now if there was a compelling argument as to why we're likely to kick on from that 66 point level and push on, then I'm all ears, but I haven't seen one so far.
Us getting into top 4 required a collapse from two sides (Leicester dropping 34 points in 17 games and Chelsea dropping 21 points) combined with a player being bought who had an unprecedented impact with 8 goals and 7 assists from midfield. Neither of those things are likely to happen every season, don't you agree?

I understand that we've improved statistically in terms of possession and shots and whatnot, but what metric measures "poor positioning from defenders leading to goals"? What metric measures "likelihood to break down a parked bus", and what metric measures "likelihood of fatigue setting in because the manager still hasn't expanded the squad to the point that he doesn't run his first XI into the ground due to distrust in bench players"?

I foresee the pattern repeating itself for a third season in a row.
- After Paris we blamed the poor results on fatigue due to over-use of first XI players.
- Last season when we were about to miss out on top 4 due to fatigue it was also over-use of first XI players
- This season, he still hasn't added enough players to the squad so that he can have a bench that he trusts, because he's chasing the most expensive player of the transfer window, which makes me fear that we'll have the same problem at some point this season, ie not enough quality on the bench so that the quality drops significantly when he rests players or he doesn't rest them making them perform poorly. Despite spending £250m our bench still consisted of Henderson, Bailly, Fosu-Mensah, Fred, Lingard, McTominay and van de Beek on Saturday. Apart from vdB, who do you expect to change a game or not significantly worsen the side compared to the starting players?

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
No one is asking Ole to turn it around and win the title now, where is the gradual improvement? Klopp's Liverpool showed gradual improvement every season, his impact was almost instant and he gradually built up the squad before dominating. If you thing we are improving you are clearly mad, we still struggle to beat midtable teams, passing, movement, pressing nothing has improved. Every season we outspend other midtable and lower table clubs and depend on some individual brilliance to pull us to in and around 4th.
You said outright we "were going nowhere under Ole".

And how can you seriously claim there have been no improvement?
  • We got rid of deadwood,
  • Recruited well,
  • Blooded youngsters like Greenwood and Williams
  • 3rd best defensive record in the league
  • Some players like Martial, Fred and Rashford have flourished
  • Very good record vs the top 6
  • We got bloody 3rd just two months ago
What did you expect really? That we pushed for the title playing like prime Barca? And the "individual brilliance" argument has to be one of the fecking worst arguments i've ever heard. Name me one top team that does not really on their most important players to deliver

• Recruited well,
What did you expect really? That we pushed for the title playing like prime Barca? And the "individual brilliance" argument has to be one of the fecking worst arguments i've ever heard. Name me one top team that does not really on their most important players to deliver
Good post. It’s mad people can’t see the improvement.

The hatred of OGS is blinding some of our fans.

90 + 5min

• Recruited well,
The problem is simple. There is no patience nowdays. Anywhere. And why would football be different? The younger people are living in socity where there is always greener on the other side. In every aspect of society. In reality, it isn't. That is why I sometime say, sarcastic, that there are to many Football Manager players in here.

Solskjaer has done well and deserves his chance. We will see where we stand in December. But nobody can say that he hasn't improved us. It is also worth to say that it isn't just about imporving. It is about planting seed because since Ferguson retired, we have been ripping out everything our success was built on.

Anustart89

Seriously, is this how you argue in real life as well? If someone criticises BoJo's Covid strategy, do you immediately jump in and say that hatred is blinding them? It's so easy to avoid arguing the points being made by just saying "whatever, you're a hater" and that makes it impossible to have any sort of debate or discussion because 90% of the time when someone posts an opinion the reply is "whatever, you just hate Ole/Pogba/Lindelöf so your opinion is invalid". I'm willing to bet that extremely few people (out of the United fans) on here hate Ole, so it's just a silly argument to begin with.

In the last seven seasons, our point tallies have been 66 (3rd), 66 (6th), 81 (2nd), 69 (6th), 66 (5th), 70 (4th), 64 (7th). Does that scream "improvement" to you? In most seasons, 66 points is not enough to reach top 4, so why is the performance of other teams so much more important than our own performance in terms of on-pitch improvement? That logic basically says that the fact that Leicester dropped 34 points and Chelsea dropped 21 points in 17 games means that we have improved as a team. Does that make any sense to you? It doesn't make much sense to me.

After three transfer windows, Lingard's still on the bench because as well as we've supposedly recruited, we've only recruited expensive players which means that we've not bought enough players to bump Lingard and Fosu-Mensah off the bench. If Ole identified the need for an entire new squad, does he not realise how long the rebuild will take if he asks for £50m+ players in every position?

FatherWolff

Seriously, is this how you argue in real life as well? If someone criticises BoJo's Covid strategy, do you immediately jump in and say that hatred is blinding them? It's so easy to avoid arguing the points being made by just saying "whatever, you're a hater" and that makes it impossible to have any sort of debate or discussion because 90% of the time when someone posts an opinion the reply is "whatever, you just hate Ole/Pogba/Lindelöf so your opinion is invalid". I'm willing to bet that extremely few people (out of the United fans) on here hate Ole, so it's just a silly argument to begin with.

In the last seven seasons, our point tallies have been 66 (3rd), 66 (6th), 81 (2nd), 69 (6th), 66 (5th), 70 (4th), 64 (7th). Does that scream "improvement" to you? In most seasons, 66 points is not enough to reach top 4, so why is the performance of other teams so much more important than our own performance in terms of on-pitch improvement? That logic basically says that the fact that Leicester dropped 34 points and Chelsea dropped 21 points in 17 games means that we have improved as a team. Does that make any sense to you? It doesn't make much sense to me.

After three transfer windows, Lingard's still on the bench because as well as we've supposedly recruited, we've only recruited expensive players which means that we've not bought enough players to bump Lingard and Fosu-Mensah off the bench. If Ole identified the need for an entire new squad, does he not realise how long the rebuild will take if he asks for £50m+ players in every position?
I think they said three or four years. How long did you expect?

He'sRaldo

• Recruited well,
The issue is, none of that is new.

We've blooded youngsters under LVG and Mourinho. Recruited good players under them. Players have flourished under them as well. We got 2nd under Mourinho, won the Europa League with him as well as the F.A Cup under LVG. Ole's not really breaking completely new ground.

Both of those coaches eventually were sacked because even though there were positives, they couldn't take us forward past a certain point; and a lot of us worry that it's the same pattern with Ole. A bunch of positives, some glaring question marks, and ultimately unable to take us to where we eventually need to be.

Some people advocate for more time, but to what end? I personally don't think more time makes limitations disappear, but I acknowledge that not every situation is the same. Who knows, maybe time is actually the solution and our previous coaches just didn't have enough of it.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Good to see this thread getting bumped even when our b team is winning 1-0 at half time in a glorified pre season game, pretending to be important as a league cup tie.

club is in disarray! Sack Ole!

Mainoldo

The issue is, none of that is new.

We've blooded youngsters under LVG and Mourinho. Recruited good players under them. Players have flourished under them as well. We got 2nd under Mourinho, won the Europa League with him as well as the F.A Cup under LVG. Ole's not really breaking completely new ground.

And both of those coaches eventually were sacked because even though there were positives, they couldn't take us forward past a certain point; and a lot of us worry that it's the same pattern with Ole. A bunch of positives, but ultimately unable to take us to where we eventually need to be.

Some people advocate for more time, but to what end? I personally don't think more time makes limitations disappear, but not every situation is the same. Who knows, maybe time is actually the solution and our previous coaches just didn't have enough time..
I don’t know why people can’t just admit they like Ole the person. It’s a lot easier to understand instead of pointing out things that we have all seen before from our previous sacked managers. I mean they keep trying to convince me the football is better.

Zen86

The problem is simple. There is no patience nowdays. Anywhere. And why would football be different? The younger people are living in socity where there is always greener on the other side. In every aspect of society. In reality, it isn't. That is why I sometime say, sarcastic, that there are to many Football Manager players in here.

Solskjaer has done well and deserves his chance. We will see where we stand in December. But nobody can say that he hasn't improved us. It is also worth to say that it isn't just about imporving. It is about planting seed because since Ferguson retired, we have been ripping out everything our success was built on.
Some people are just entitled idiots who like to throw tantrums, because they can do so quite easily on the internet. But hey, that’s not the most constructive way to approach it :)

Mainoldo

Good to see this thread getting bumped even when our b team is winning 1-0 at half time in a glorified pre season game, pretending to be important as a league cup tie.

club is in disarray! Sack Ole!
You’re obsessed :lol: :lol: . You help this thread keeping going. It’s lovely.

I watch the team and see an improvement in attitude and profile of player. I don’t need to write an essay - I can see what happens on the pitch.

Do you really think we’ve not improved since the shit show that Jose left?

Mainoldo

I watch the team and see an improvement in attitude and profile of player. I don’t need to write an essay - I can see what happens on the pitch.

No football is still crap. Like Spurs now.

soapythecat

Genuine question - do you watch United often?
I don’t think the discontent towards Ole is mad, I think it’s totally justified. Aside from a few games where we’ve clicked, I’d say the vast majority of games last season and certainly this, have been poor, drab performances that have been won by a soft penalty or a moment of brilliant from a player who was coasting at a 4/10 rating.
We are back to LVG/Jose style of football after been promised excitement.
We haven’t improved at all and I’d say the squad is more dis-jointed than it has been for a long time

Anustart89

I agree that there's been an improvement in terms of attitude and general feel-good factor around the club compared to José, disagreeing with that would be mental.

We've improved in games against the big sides, but considering that we're ending up on the same amount of points as we've been doing in the previous seasons (disregarding José's 81 point season) you could assume that we've become worse at picking up points against the lesser sides, which make up the majority of games in the PL. We still have the same issues surrounding the team, namely that we don't have a bench that the manager can trust despite three transfer windows, which makes the squad prone to fatigue over time which has been an issue at the end of both of Ole's seasons.

What suggests that we will not continue on the same track and hover around the 60-70 point mark? And if we do that, how long would you give Ole before you say that he's not taking us further?

Genuine question - do you watch United often?
I don’t think the discontent towards Ole is mad, I think it’s totally justified. Aside from a few games where we’ve clicked, I’d say the vast majority of games last season and certainly this, have been poor, drab performances that have been won by a soft penalty or a moment of brilliant from a player who was coasting at a 4/10 rating.
We are back to LVG/Jose style of football after been promised excitement.
We haven’t improved at all and I’d say the squad is more dis-jointed than it has been for a long time
Genuine question - do you reply in a condescending manner in every post? I’m not reading anything after your opening line.

I agree that there's been an improvement in terms of attitude and general feel-good factor around the club compared to José, disagreeing with that would be mental.

We've improved in games against the big sides, but considering that we're ending up on the same amount of points as we've been doing in the previous seasons (disregarding José's 81 point season) you could assume that we've become worse at picking up points against the lesser sides, which make up the majority of games in the PL. We still have the same issues surrounding the team, namely that we don't have a bench that the manager can trust despite three transfer windows, which makes the squad prone to fatigue over time which has been an issue at the end of both of Ole's seasons.

What suggests that we will not continue on the same track and hover around the 60-70 point mark? And if we do that, how long would you give Ole before you say that he's not taking us further?
He has this season. We need to improve on last year, if not he will be gone. He’s earned the right to take the team forward. I’m not going to judge this season until we have at least a dozen matches under our belt.

Anustart89

He has this season. We need to improve on last year, if not he will be gone. He’s earned the right to take the team forward. I’m not going to judge this season until we have at least a dozen matches under our belt.
Fair enough.

I agree that he'd earned the right with his stint as caretaker and supported the decision to give him the job full time, and I've been flip-flopping like hell on my opinion on Ole up until now. I just think I've seen enough already as to what he can do as a manager, and beyond "buy better players and hope they've enough quality to do something good on the day" it's not very much in my opinion. I just think that there are many options who can do that and do more with this squad at their disposal than scraping wins against bottom-half sides.

Robbie Boy

Yup seems fair.

I saw you mentioned 'blind hatred' earlier. Thing is, there's blind support of him too. The truth is somewhere in the middle of both extreme camps. He's done some good things here, but he also has obvious shortcomings and he needs to improve as a manager.

I was impressed how he pulled us back last season after a few really poor months, so that at least shows he has it in him to recognise problems and try to rectify them.

FatherWolff

No football is still crap. Like Spurs now.
Jesus..when will you be gone?
Fair enough.

I agree that he'd earned the right with his stint as caretaker and supported the decision to give him the job full time, and I've been flip-flopping like hell on my opinion on Ole up until now. I just think I've seen enough already as to what he can do as a manager, and beyond "buy better players and hope they've enough quality to do something good on the day" it's not very much in my opinion. I just think that there are many options who can do that and do more with this squad at their disposal than scraping wins against bottom-half sides.
I think you should sit down and watch some matches from the tops teams I Europe these past weeks, and realise we are in COVID times with no pre season. The way you are posting now, you don’t seem to separate a donky from a horse..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.