Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhagzi

Well he's second favorite in the sack race currently.

I'm saying he could do many things to save his job, playing his best player recently despite knowing full well he's carrying an injury is one of them.
Actually, putting Rashford in gave us the victory. He pushed toward receiving the ball from Maguire and had Dendoncker with him - his presence made Wolves need to push Dendoncker up on Rashy as he's dangerous once he's turned around. The ball kept going and Martial took it with him. So it did NOT backfire. Rashford was essential in the build-up to that goal. Anyone thinking "it could have been anyone but Rashy" don't understand how some defenders will change their approach depending on their direct opponent.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
So why should we always shift the blame outside Ole, when he's the one deciding who gets in the team and also is fully aware of players carrying knocks? Or the medical guy tells him play player A tomorrow?

As for Lingard - same - he said in an interview that he rushed him after an injury.
What do you mean, always shift the blame outside Ole? If he's to blame then he's to blame, but without information, why conclude Ole must be the problem? Seems to me it's rather the opposite, Ole gets the the blame, by some, for everything going wrong. From what little we see, to me he hasn't done much wrong at all since appointment. Squad management, information from the club and money spent or not over the past 5-10 years, it'd be much easier to put blame above Ole.

I don't know the Lingard story. He said Ole rushed him back after an injury?

Enigma_87

You know who
What do you mean, always shift the blame outside Ole? If he's to blame then he's to blame, but without information, why conclude Ole must be the problem? Seems to me it's rather the opposite, Ole gets the the blame, by some, for everything going wrong. From what little we see, to me he hasn't done much wrong at all since appointment. Squad management, information from the club and money spent or not over the past 5-10 years, it'd be much easier to put blame above Ole.

I don't know the Lingard story. He said Ole rushed him back after an injury?
Ole is the one who picks the starting line up and the one who should rest players and rotate the team. He's also the one that should build a team during the Summer window that is big enough to cope with injuries and have backups in every line, not just CB.

He's also the one that said there was risk in playing Rashford and it backfired - so he knew full well he could've ended injured(warned by the medical staff). It's not the medical staff that picks the team and clearly they have warned him that the injury might aggravate, coming from his comments.

As for Lingard:
Jesse Lingard claims to be “back to full fitness” and ready to step in for Manchester United after seeing an injury risk backfire prior to the international break.

The 26-year-old was among those to pick up a knock during an eventful Premier League meeting with Liverpool on February 24.

A hamstring problem kept him on the sidelines for three weeks heading into an FA Cup quarter-final clash with Wolves.

Lingard was called into action during that contest, in what was considered to be a calculated gamble, but subsequently sat out the start of Euro 2020 qualification with England.

He was then eased back into the United fold by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer off the bench in a 2-1 win over Watford on Saturday, but says he is now looking to claim a starting berth once more.

“I'm back to full fitness,” Lingard told MUTV ahead of a return to Molineux on Tuesday.

“I think obviously the break helped as I could get the hamstring stronger again to come back and play the rest of the games in the remainder of the season.

The Wolves tie was a risk. I’ve said that before but it was an FA Cup quarter-final and the manager put me in. It was still a risk and I needed that time out just to rest the hamstring and get it going again.”

humdinger

He’s taken risks and some of them are paying off (Greenwood, Williams) while others have backfired (not buying midfielders or attackers, sanctioning huge spend on Maguire, playing important players when carrying injuries).

Ultimately he seems to keep making bad decisions which are hurting us. It seems he may not be sacked anytime soon, which is a shame as we might make top 4 with the right appointment, but I’m sure someone else will be in charge next season.

fergiesarmy1

those two don't go along together. If there was a good chance that would bite him in the arse and it did then obviously they weren't the correct choices.

Having a free ride from half of the fanbase too. His job is easier than Woodwards, which says it all. Absolutely no pressure to use United as his training ground.
You can make the correct choices that mean short term pain for long term gain pal.

b82REZ

You can make the correct choices that mean short term pain for long term gain pal.
What has he sacrificed in the short term that will leave us in good stead in the future?

All this long term planning basically boils down to offloading Lukaku and Sanchez as far as I can tell, and it remains to be seen if that is to our long term benefit. We continue to struggle to score goals and have seemingly no real interest in a striker to plug the gap.

Enigma_87

You know who
Actually, putting Rashford in gave us the victory. He pushed toward receiving the ball from Maguire and had Dendoncker with him - his presence made Wolves need to push Dendoncker up on Rashy as he's dangerous once he's turned around. The ball kept going and Martial took it with him. So it did NOT backfire. Rashford was essential in the build-up to that goal. Anyone thinking "it could have been anyone but Rashy" don't understand how some defenders will change their approach depending on their direct opponent.
It was Ole's words - not mine.

Come to think of it - losing your best player for months or a home win in the FA cup when you were on level matters before introducing him? I know what I'd take..

fergiesarmy1

What has he sacrificed in the short term that will leave us in good stead in the future?

All this long term planning basically boils down to offloading Lukaku and Sanchez as far as I can tell, and it remains to be seen if that is to our long term benefit. We continue to struggle to score goals and have seemingly no real interest in a striker to plug the gap.
Fellaini, now young (although I liked young as person he was finished as a player here) with more follow to hopefully over the next 6 months.

We did bid for and thought we were getting Haaland but wouldn’t agree to Riola’s demands in the end which again was in the clubs long term interest.

jamesjimmybyrondean

You actually think this rebuild is being done properly. What makes you thinks so? Because we've cleared deadwood? Or are promoting academy products? Or are signing the right fit Instilling the United culture?

Tell me, does it make sense to clear deadwood without replacements, to promote players coming straight from the academy and start relying on them as first and second choice, to wait for the right fit with the right fit being only one target without any alternatives - we were rinsed by Leceister because of this, we haven't even attempted to sign a striker when we lost out on Haaland. As soon as we lost Haaland who was deemed as the right fit there was no more news of signing a striker.

Is this how a rebuild is done??? If you don't think Ole is at least half responsible for all this then I can tell you he has confirmed his naivety several times in press conferences

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
Fellaini, now young (although I liked young as person he was finished as a player here) with more follow to hopefully over the next 6 months.

We did bid for and thought we were getting Haaland but wouldn’t agree to Riola’s demands in the end which again was in the clubs long term interest.
Yes, Fellaini being sold without a replacement lined up was a masterstroke. Same with Lukaku, same with Herrera and many others.

Buying Maguire way over the top with 190k or whatsnot salary is also beneficial in the long term.

At the end we had the same lazy approach to transfers as under previous managers but with the British tax included on top of it.

e.cantona

Ole is the one who picks the starting line up and the one who should rest players and rotate the team. He's also the one that should build a team during the Summer window that is big enough to cope with injuries and have backups in every line, not just CB.

He's also the one that said there was risk in playing Rashford and it backfired - so he knew full well he could've ended injured(warned by the medical staff). It's not the medical staff that picks the team and clearly they have warned him that the injury might aggravate, coming from his comments.

As for Lingard:
About squad. Yes, and I belive efforts were made to bring in more players during the summer. Both midfield and attack.

Ole was clearly warned by the medical staff on Rashford? I don't know. One would think they gave him advise on the matter. Based on that he concluded it's a risk worth taking.

From what Lingard says, he should have been rested in his opinion. I don't know what the medical staff or Ole was thinking.

fergiesarmy1

You actually think this rebuild is being done properly. What makes you thinks so?

Tell me, does it make sense to clear deadwood without replacements, to promote players coming straight from the academy and start relying on them as first and second choice, to wait for the right fit with the right fit being only one target without any alternatives - we were rinsed by Leceister because of this, we haven't even attempted to sign a striker when we lost out on Haaland. Is this how a rebuild is done??? If you don't think Ole is half responsible for all this then I can tell you he has confirmed his naivety several times in press conferences
Absolutely not on the lack of replacements so far but I’d put that more on Ed, happy with everyone that has been sold so far, just a shame we still have more than half a squad to go.

Enigma_87

You know who
About squad. Yes, and I belive efforts were made to bring in more players during the summer. Both midfield and attack.

Ole was clearly warned by the medical staff on Rashford? I don't know. One would think they gave him advise on the matter. Based on that he concluded it's a risk worth taking.

From what Lingard says, he should have been rested in his opinion. I don't know what the medical staff or Ole was thinking.
Well coming from the comments (Ole included), he knew Rashford was carrying a knock. He openly admitted it was a risk, so normally knowing it was a risk it was after the advice of the medical staff.

It's not just those two, Maguire recently again was rushed in. Pogba again against fecking Rochdale. It's clearly a pattern in his approach that dates since he was appointed as a caretaker.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Come to think of it - losing your best player for months or a home win in the FA cup when you were on level matters before introducing him? I know what I'd take..
Why do you even bother? Had it been Mourinho, LvG or Moyes taking the same risk with United's "crown jewel" and sending him in the physio's room for 3 months, there would have been an outrage of epic proportions. Do you remember what happened when Mourinho risked playing an injured Smalling at SB with the latter suffering a bigger injury? Some of the very same people who can see nothing wrong with rushing Marcus back into the side were screaming their lungs out about the evil manager who put his own interests above the team. Talking about double standards...

It's the same people who think that 9/23 wins in the league is acceptable because everybody else around us, except for the dippers and City, are performing badly too but 81 points was bad because City had managed to gain 98.

This was about certain fans, as for the decision itself to play Rashford, it was bad luck more than anything else. He had probably got a 50/50 from the medical staff (something like: he can play but he must avoid heavy contacts), we needed a goal, he probably asked Rashford if he was feeling OK, he got the nod and he brought him on. Shite happens just like it happened with Smalling at SB a few years back. The main problem, and what's hurting us now, was planning out the whole season with such a heavy reliance on Marcus, Tony and Paul to carry the team on their shoulders. We have been unlucky with injuries, true enough, but we made our bed too by chasing only specific targets (Longstaff/Rice) and by choosing to have only an academy graduate as back up upfront.

b82REZ

Absolutely not on the lack of replacements so far but I’d put that more on Ed, happy with everyone that has been sold so far, just a shame we still have more than half a squad to go.
Ed didn't force Solksjaer to blow the budget on two defenders who were never going to take us the next level.

Ed is a clueless buffoon, but this trend of absolving blame on Solksjaer by blaming Woodward is daft. Solksjaer has repeatedly declared he was happy with the squad, if he had a budget he needed to prioritise and have a list of cheaper alternatives, not just go all in on choice number one. Solksjaer's transfers seem to be feast or famine. He's never going to get every player he wants and its naive for him to think every player in the world sees us a top club, because we aren't anymore.

fergiesarmy1

Ed didn't force Solksjaer to blow the budget on two defenders who were never going to take us the next level.

Ed is a clueless buffoon, but this trend of absolving blame on Solksjaer by blaming Woodward is daft. Solksjaer has repeatedly declared he was happy with the squad, if he had a budget he needed to prioritise and have a list of cheaper alternatives, not just go all in on choice number one. Solksjaer's transfers seem to be feast or famine. He's never going to get every player he wants and its naive for him to think every player in the world sees us a top club, because we aren't anymore.
Don’t understand the argument that Ole said he is happy in public, saying he isn’t to the press wouldn’t be a great idea for many reasons.

The fact we have tried for a striker and obviously failed, trying for a midfielder as we speak surely shows you we are trying to get players in. Piss poorly but again would blame Ed more for not being able to close a deal without giving the store away ala Sanchez.

b82REZ

Don’t understand the argument that Ole said he is happy in public, saying he isn’t to the press wouldn’t be a great idea for many reasons.

The fact we have tried for a striker and obviously failed, trying for a midfielder as we speak surely shows you we are trying to get players in. Piss poorly but again would blame Ed more for not being able to close a deal without giving the store away ala Sanchez.
If you choose to ignore what the manager said and interpret those words to suit your agenda there's no point in discussing the issue with you. When do we take the managers statements as fact and when is it him covering for the board? You can't have your cake and eat it to. Blame Woodward all you want but don't ignore the managers role in this as he isn't blameless, far from it.

Zhagzi

I see your point. I just don't think that that knock really put him out. He's been taking to his waist for some time now, with several moments with him in the grass. I believe this has been on the way for some time, and would've been inevitable.

e.cantona

Well coming from the comments (Ole included), he knew Rashford was carrying a knock. He openly admitted it was a risk, so normally knowing it was a risk it was after the advice of the medical staff.

It's not just those two, Maguire recently again was rushed in. Pogba again against fecking Rochdale. It's clearly a pattern in his approach that dates since he was appointed as a caretaker.
From what you're saying, Ole knew Rashford shouldn't play, and yet he played him. You really belive that? Black and white, no grey in between?

Pogba and Maguire were rushed back? Maguire seems fine. Pogba I don't know.

fergiesarmy1

If you choose to ignore what the manager said and interpret those words to suit your agenda there's no point in discussing the issue with you. When do we take the managers statements as fact and when is it him covering for the board? You can't have your cake and eat it to. Blame Woodward all you want but don't ignore the managers role in this as he isn't blameless, far from it.
If you believe everything that comes out of a managers mouth during interviews then your living in a very rose tinted world mate, fair play.

jamesjimmybyrondean

So clearing of deadwood?? That's it? That's why you think this rebuild is going well. Because Ole cleared did deadwood that even we the fans can identify. Please tell me that's not it.

Also like I said, Ole is naive and the lack of replacemt is at least half his responsibility. He himself has come out to say he has the backing of the board, so If he doesn't sign replacements is he lying about the board backing him. Why would he do that?

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Ole is clueless tactically and there is no clear direction for the team. Pick the best players and hope for the best seems to be the motto. We haven't replaced any players that have left and bringing in young players that have potential should not be what we aspire to. Yes I agree with buying youth with bags of potential but we need experienced heads in there as well to help develop them.

Cavani handed in a transfer request go get him til the end of the season with an option for another year if he scores or assists 10 goals between now and the end of the season. Get Bale on loan, even if he features in 50% of the games it'll give James time to rest and develop learning alongside bale. Also grab fernandes and it's a start at a rebuild and should be enough for top 4.

fergiesarmy1

So clearing of deadwood?? That's it? That's why you think this rebuild is going well. Because Ole cleared did deadwood that even we the fans can identify. Please tell me that's not it.

Also like I said, Ole is naive and the lack of replacemt is at least half his responsibility. He himself has come out to say he has the backing of the board, so If he doesn't sign replacements is he lying about the board backing him. Why would he do that?
Well all being well we would already have Haaland and Fernandes in the squad training but it wasn’t to be with one and quite rightly giving the terms in the end and who we were dealing with, I believe we will still get Bruno in once Ed leaves it till the last minute and overpays for yet another player.

Enigma_87

You know who
From what you're saying, Ole knew Rashford shouldn't play, and yet he played him. You really belive that? Black and white, no grey in between?

Pogba and Maguire were rushed back? Maguire seems fine. Pogba I don't know.
Ole knew Rashford could aggravate his injury, I'm not sure why you keep defending him. This is why he said there was risk and that it backfired - according to his own words. He knew the consequences but "needed the win".

Well considering Pogba has barely played and it was clear that he took a knock against Rochdale - there is something wrong.

Maguire was doubtful recently after again being rushed in to play.

b82REZ

If you believe everything that comes out of a managers mouth during interviews then your living in a very rose tinted world mate, fair play.
Please do enlighten me as to when we believe the manager and the times he's just providing lip service to the fans.

Obviously he isn't always going to be 100% truthful but seeing as we will never know when he's being disingenuous we have to take him at face value, not just twist certain parts to suit agendas which is what you do. He didn't need to publically state he was happy with the squad, he chose to so now the public opinion of him is based on his statements.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Not sure if he's the longterm guy but right now i'd give him another year and summer window to get in another 2-3 players, majority of the team have improved individually from the last couple of years, we need a nucleus of a side put together and he seems to be doing that even if the results and some decisions are poor.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

Well, he has also said on many occasions that we are looking to strengthen many positions in the squad, but those quotes are never repeated because they don't suit the particular argument.

fergiesarmy1

Please do enlighten me as to when we believe the manager and the times he's just providing lip service to the fans.

Obviously he isn't always going to be 100% truthful but seeing as we will never know when he's being disingenuous we have to take him at face value, not just twist certain parts to suit agendas which is what you do. He didn't need to publically state he was happy with the squad, he chose to so now the public opinion of him is based on his statements.
If his lips or any manager lips are moving when talking to the press is usually when I don’t believe them.

b82REZ

Well, he has also said on many occasions that we are looking to strengthen many positions in the squad, but those quotes are never repeated because they don't suit the particular argument.
That's because these quotes have been reactionary when it became clear we'd gone into the season woefully under staffed. Solksjaer's whole rhetoric changed when results went to shit, so basically from the 2nd game of the season

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

I bet most managers would say that doing interviews and press conferences is about the least important part of their job, and something they just look to get out of the way. Look at this particular issue in itself. He has said multiple times that we are looking to strengthen many areas of the squad, which is the exact opposite of saying that he is happy with it, but nobody mentions that ever.

Not sure if he's the longterm guy but right now i'd give him another year and summer window to get in another 2-3 players, majority of the team have improved individually from the last couple of years, we need a nucleus of a side put together and he seems to be doing that even if the results and some decisions are poor.
Hmm, I think this is something of a red herring.

I mean, if we take our first 11:

DDG has gotten worse. Shaw as bad as ever. AWB new, massive money, Maguire new, Massive money.

McTom young, always gonna improve year on year. Thought he was superb in plenty of games for Mourinho like Liverpool home. If anything, just being a regular is the big difference.
Fred, now settled, always a top player, now people see why Pep wanted him.
Pogba, worse or Andreas/Lingard worse or as shit as ever.

James new, "meh"
Rashford, definitely better, talented lad who I have always expected to improve year on year. Playing him left I give massive credit to management for.
Martial, better? nah, just that he's now playing every week, I don't see improvement per se.

The team as a whole... pretty shite.

fergiesarmy1

Like I said he’s damned if he does damned if he doesn’t by a lot of united fans now.

He’s going to be here till at least till top 4 and europa is gone so they are going to have a tough few months yet :lol:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
That's because these quotes have been reactionary when it became clear we'd gone into the season woefully under staffed. Solksjaer's whole rhetoric changed when results went to shit, so basically from the 2nd game of the season
Isnt everything reactionary in football? If all of our players were fit we wouldn't even consider buying anyone in January unless our number 1 pick became available, which is highly unlikely.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The argument is we need players, we’re desperate for midfielders and creative players.
It’s great saying we’re looking at players, it’s January now, get them, get the players we’re looking at.
If this window closes and we haven’t got anyone, he has to condemn the glazers, otherwise he’ll be no different to them.

b82REZ

Only when they have turned out to actually be true. Same with Fergie who was the master of manipulating the press.
So when they suit your agenda. I'm sure had Solksjaer said he thought the squad was shit in August you'd be flogging that horse to death.

Un4givableB

This

:rolleyes:
More special pleading for our work experience manager, there's a middle ground between saying you are happy with your team and doing a Jose, lots of managers skirt that line to put pressure on the broad to do something,
but those are managers who didn't fluke their way into a job.

fergiesarmy1

So when they suit your agenda. I'm sure had Solksjaer said he thought the squad was shit in August you'd be flogging that horse to death.
Don’t need Ole to tell me that but knock yourself out thinking what I’d be thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.