Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Verminator

Not really - it's been sat at around 50% Ole out for months with just small moves, it's been a major change in last few weeks
The poll only just reopened.
Reopened, but not reset. You saw what happened last time it got reset just after United had lost to Burnley, the support for Ole fell with 20% from one day to another. You would see the same effect if it was reset now, just the other way around.
Ye but I think the general shift in sentiment comes from the last few weeks, basically since the winter break

Not that I have changed my view at any point
I was only explaining why the poll hadn't changed much.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
There is no way they have arrangements in place for another manager - at best they have spoken to someone and asked him if he is available. You don't go hire someone 6 months in advance and then give the manager you will sack, money to sign new players
Why is it so impossible to believe? Woodward is an obvious admirer of Poch and he probably would of been our next manager before the club shit the bed and gave Ole his contract. Up until a few weeks ago Ole was hardly setting the world on fire and it could be the club went proactive. As for the signings. How many have we signed after the summer? One, which is Bruno who Poch also rates. Hardly a risk.

Obviously it's all conjecture but I don't think it can be dismissed as something that would be impossible to happen in a cut throat business which is football otherwise it would just be pure romanticism.

Is he though? The compensation for managers tends to be somewhere in the region of a no-risk lower league player, so we arent talking astronomical numbers here.

Its seems to me that the cult following he has with United fans isnt necessarily shared by everyone.
£12m is £12m whatever way you look at it which is a big chunk of change even for our club. If talks did happen and Poch said he'd be prepared to wait until the end of the season then why would the club pay the money?

Why when someone appreciates what someone has done in his managerial career they're automatically part of a cult? Couldn't it be said that could be applied to people who have supported Ole through thick and thin even when the results/performances where far off what was expected of a United manager?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Almost 45% backing him now. A few good results and massive poll shifts. Knee jerking at its finest.
If you can't see the change in the club recently then you're very bias.

This team has always been inconsistent but it's finally found a period of everybody hitting form at the same time, and we're getting great results.

Sacking Ole now and starting again just seems a crazy decision especially when we're on a forward path. He deserves more time, if after this summer he still struggles to mount anything significant then we can replace him.

People like Poch, Rose, Nagelsmann etc will still be around if we need them.

Wilt

Almost 45% backing him now. A few good results and massive poll shifts. Knee jerking at its finest.
Yes the tide ebbs and flows, but I’m not convinced the poll is a true representation.

Not sure on how these polls work and it has probably been mentioned before, but working from the bottom upwards it seems “Ole in“ are predominantly/overwhelmingly new members who joined September/October 2019. Coincidence maybe?

No denying things are looking better, confidence is growing, though personally as long as Pochettino is available I’m still Ole out.

theklr

This poll needs an «wait until the season finishes and see» option.

Ofcourse that is pretty void right now...

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Why is it so impossible to believe? Woodward is an obvious admirer of Poch and he probably would of been our next manager before the club shit the bed and gave Ole his contract. Up until a few weeks ago Ole was hardly setting the world on fire and it could be the club went proactive. As for the signings. How many have we signed after the summer? One, which is Bruno who Poch also rates. Hardly a risk.

Obviously it's all conjecture but I don't think it can be dismissed as something that would be impossible to happen in a cut throat business which is football otherwise it would just be pure romanticism.

£12m is £12m whatever way you look at it which is a big chunk of change even for our club. If talks did happen and Poch said he'd be prepared to wait until the end of the season then why would the club pay the money?

Why when someone appreciates what someone has done in his managerial career they're automatically part of a cult? Couldn't it be said that could be applied to people who have supported Ole through thick and thin even when the results/performances where far off what was expected of a United manager?
I used the word cult because the size of the following he has on here is disproportionate to the amount of success hes actually had. I like Pochettino, always have, but my reaction should he get employed here would be something short of cartwheels, mainly because he is as far from a sure thing as many, many others out there.

Ole will lead this team out next season. He deserves at least another season for what he has accomplished so far.

vidic blood & sand

I've been Ole in all the way through, and have never wavered, but that still doesn't necessarily mean that he is the right manager.
What has impressed me the most about Ole is that we've learned more about the players this season, than any other season since SAF.
Players have either progressed, or shown they are not to United standard. Van Gaal and Mourinho swapped the team around continuously, to where we never really knew how good individuals were. A player would have a good game, and then played three times in a row, then he would be crap and lose his place. Then someone else etc...... This forum would be convinced a player was shit one minute, then great the next.
Ole has persisted patiently this season with players (forced to really) regardless of the bad performances, and some have responded really well, and others have come face to face with reality. To me this has to be progression. What Ole needs now is the financial backing to strengthen the squad to go up another level, and then we can judge the progression with a stronger squad. Forget Poch now, Ole will still be our manager next season, and I'm very happy about it until the signs of progression have completely gone. Fans need to be PATIENT.

Tony247

For me personally, sack Ole only if we can get Nagelsmann, that too I am not 100% sure but will be fine with it. But if not Nagelsmann then continue with Ole for sure.

lysglimt

Scout
For me personally, sack Ole only if we can get Nagelsmann, that too I am not 100% sure but will be fine with it. But if not Nagelsmann then continue with Ole for sure.
Nagelsmann is 32 years old, he has been a manager for 4 years. In 3 years at Hoffenheim he had a win percentage of 40, sure he improved them for 2 seasons before it all fell apart in season 3. He took over Leipzig and they have continued to do well, but not better than they did the season Before.

So why in heavens name are you so convinced that he is the right person for the job ? He has done absolutely nothing as a manager. Is he a good manager ? He probably is, but there is absolutely no proof that he is a great manager.

So why do we want to replace something that works with someone we don't even know is better ? At least OGS has played at a big club, Nagelsmann has only been involved in really small clubs - the step up to United in terms of pressure, fans etc is HUGE

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think the signs are obviously there that ole is starting to turn things around. In addition since Bruno there is more belief and optimism in the squad. He has to be given more time and backed fully

Alabaster Codify7

I think the signs are obviously there that ole is starting to turn things around. In addition since Bruno there is more belief and optimism in the squad. He has to be given more time and backed fully

But what happens if Bruno is injured? Suddenly the picture looks a lot less bright.

Nikelesh Reddy

Right from the start of the season,I”ve always maintained that he should be given time until the end of the season.If the seasons ends today,then I can’t see how Ole can be sacked.Despite no CL football,despite the availability of Pochettino,Ole cannot be sacked after the run that the teams had recently....

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Right from the start of the season,I”ve always maintained that he should be given time until the end of the season.If the seasons ends today,then I can’t see how Ole can be sacked.Despite no CL football,despite the availability of Pochettino,Ole cannot be sacked after the run that the teams had recently....
Dave Sexton probably thought the same in 1981 when he won the last seven League games of the season including wins at Everton and Liverpool.

POF

It's absolutely shocking to me that over 50% of those polled still want him out.

Since Ole took over, the squad was gutted with many of the top earners and marquee players being shipped out in order to build a better culture. He has signed four players permanently and one on loan and all have made a major positive impact.

The summer window left the squad criminally thin and it's clear that he was relying on signing Bruno in the summer and wasn't able to replace Lukaku as he wanted. He was slated relentlessly for the performances when he simply did not have the quality in the squad.

He kept true to his plan, built the culture and stuck to a formation where Bruno could drop straight in. Now, he's got the 2 players he should have got in the summer and what has happened?

It's still a really young squad and there will be more inconsistent runs in the future, but the positivity around the club now is amazing considering the size of the rebuild undertaken. The atmosphere and togetherness of the group is at a level I haven't seen since Fergie.

He's doing an amazing job and deserves the opportunity to have a proper run of games with a squad where one injury to a forward doesn't leave him with an attack that wouldn't look out of place in the bottom half.

Hambley

Well, what can we fans really base our opinion on, other than results.

It's a results business :confused:

Of course people will change their minds if they see evidence that the manager can get consistent performances out of the team.

If the team then went on a bad run in the remaining 11 or 12 games, or whatever it is with Europa, and United finished 8 or 9th people would be calling for his head again and rightly so.

Not really - it's been sat at around 50% Ole out for months with just small moves, it's been a major change in last few weeks.
All I mean is that if the team will loose the remaining fixtures the first option of the poll would rise up again. Such a reckless thing to make a deep conclusion about the team's development right now considering we had an excellent run of results under previous managers and struggled to build a monumentum on that. However, the season seems to be over due to the virus.

Last edited:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It's absolutely shocking to me that over 50% of those polled still want him out.

Since Ole took over, the squad was gutted with many of the top earners and marquee players being shipped out in order to build a better culture. He has signed four players permanently and one on loan and all have made a major positive impact.

The summer window left the squad criminally thin and it's clear that he was relying on signing Bruno in the summer and wasn't able to replace Lukaku as he wanted. He was slated relentlessly for the performances when he simply did not have the quality in the squad.

He kept true to his plan, built the culture and stuck to a formation where Bruno could drop straight in. Now, he's got the 2 players he should have got in the summer and what has happened?

It's still a really young squad and there will be more inconsistent runs in the future, but the positivity around the club now is amazing considering the size of the rebuild undertaken. The atmosphere and togetherness of the group is at a level I haven't seen since Fergie.

He's doing an amazing job and deserves the opportunity to have a proper run of games with a squad where one injury to a forward doesn't leave him with an attack that wouldn't look out of place in the bottom half.
The poll and this thread has always been heavily biased towards those that want him out. They are the ones shouting loudest and don't want to back down from the nonsense they've been spouting like "worst manager in the league". To many there isn't even a decision to make, never mind vote on.

Zen86

All I mean is that if the team will loose the remaining fixtures the first option of the poll would rise up again. Such a reckless thing to make a deep conclusion about the team's development right now considering we had an excellent run of results under previous managers and struggled to build a monumentum on that. However, the season seems to be over due to the virus.
What we’ve seen this season is in no way comparable to Moyes, Van Gaal or Mourinho.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Ole likes to live on the edge during these challenging times.

I’d have given this fan the full ‘two metres, motherfecker!’ treatment.

lysglimt

Scout
Dave Sexton probably thought the same in 1981 when he won the last seven League games of the season including wins at Everton and Liverpool.
Well there are a few minor differences.

While The Doc was really popular for the football United played - Sexton certainly wasn't. And during that season - we had experienced a season where:

a) We had scored more than 2 goals only 5 times
b) We had not scored a goal 14 times
c) We had been through a patch with 2 wins, 2 draws and 7 defeats

On top of Everything we had an aging side - most of our keyplayers were around 30 - Jordan was Close to 30, Macari was 31, McQueen was 29 and McIlroy was 28 I think

Birtles was a giant flop

So things weren't looking too bright for United in may 1981.

Lj82

It honestly staggers me that some people can't or won't see the progress that has been made since Ole took over. Whether or not we will see real success under Ole remains to be seen in an ultra competitive league and CL, but for me we are clearly going the right direction to facilitate that, and he absolutely deserves more time. Win lose or draw I feel like we are a team all pulling happily and willingly in the same direction, and growing as a group. That include Ole himself and his staff, who will obviously be gaining vital experience as well as the players. It may be that in a year or two's time we have to get someone else in to take us to the next level if this management/player group reaches it's ceiling, but in the meantime, I enjoy watching and supporting United again, and isn't that what it's ultimately all about?
Excellent post. Totally agree with what you wrote here.
Like you, I'm not sure Ole will eventually deliver the real success, but it is pretty obvious that he is guiding the club in the right direction. His signings have been for the long term rather than short term fixes. Unlike Jose who left Ole a massive task to rebuild the team, when Ole does leave, he would have laid a solid foundation for whoever takes over to succeed.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Why does a little bit of optimism concern you? Isnt it better than the bloodbath this forum has been for the last 6 months?
What concerns is the fact we still lack a style of play and without players' individual brilliance, we'd be right where we were at the beginning of the season.

This nice vein of form feels a bit like when Ole first came in which got him hired and then we immediately started underperforming.

All in all, I am just unconvinced we've made strides beyond buying better players. I would be happy to be proven wrong though.

Old Ma Crow

It honestly staggers me that some people can't or won't see the progress that has been made since Ole took over. Whether or not we will see real success under Ole remains to be seen in an ultra competitive league and CL, but for me we are clearly going the right direction to facilitate that, and he absolutely deserves more time. Win lose or draw I feel like we are a team all pulling happily and willingly in the same direction, and growing as a group. That include Ole himself and his staff, who will obviously be gaining vital experience as well as the players. It may be that in a year or two's time we have to get someone else in to take us to the next level if this management/player group reaches it's ceiling, but in the meantime, I enjoy watching and supporting United again, and isn't that what it's ultimately all about?
Very good post.

jamesjimmybyrondean

What concerns is the fact we still lack a style of play and without players' individual brilliance, we'd be right where we were at the beginning of the season.

This nice vein of form feels a bit like when Ole first came in which got him hired and then we immediately started underperforming.

All in all, I am just unconvinced we've made strides beyond buying better players. I would be happy to be proven wrong though.
Personally I think our style of play is that in the tough games we play counter attack. We also do individual pressing. In games where we dominate like the past few games I think our style of play is basically just fluid movement and being direct.

We don't play in triangles or hectagons or whatever we just play direct football with lots of movement. So if we lack motivation to to make fluid movement like Shaw previously not overlapping for some reason or Martial always coming to the left etc. We will be shit. If the quality of our players are shit eg. Lingard/Pereira we're also going to be shit because you'd need quality players eg Bruno to capitalize on our movement. We just play direct football and fluid movement which is a style of play really. I remember Ole also talking about fluid movement alot and we've finally started doing it consistently in the past few games.

RedMilo

I dont know what people are expecting. Yes OGS is inexperienced at this level but so is everyone at some point in their career.

Look at Pep @ Barca or Zidane @ Madrid, as examples of manager having no big job experience before they were succesful.

Its about the developing the right culture at the club. You have to say he has got it spot on so far in the transfer market. He clearly knows what a Utd players looks like and is doing his checks on the players mentality / principals the same as Fergie did before bringing them into the club, rather than this Fantasy Football bollocks overseen by Woodward.

You actually see players enjoying their football and wanting to play for the club. He is definitely got us heading in right direction and its a shame the season has been suspended when our run into the top 4 looked ominous, but the decision of course is completely understandable...

Those people not prepared to change their votes, are either not prepared to admit when they are wrong or cant see progress thats plain as day in front of their nose.

Zen86

Those people not prepared to change their votes, are either not prepared to admit when they are wrong or cant see progress thats plain as day in front of their nose.
There will undoubtedly be a correlation between voting Ole-out and having an unhealthy obsession with hipster managers, like Nagelsmann and Poch.

Dante

Average bang
Solkjaer's plan has always been long term and iterative.

With this break in football, it only gives us a better chance to bring the players he needs.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Wow, that 35% are going to be so butthurt come the start of the new season.

dove

I am still not sure about him. Many say we have made a big progress in the last 1-2 months or so and you might be right but on the other hand our improvement in form always coincides with having to play poorer opposition in cup competitions. We should be beating Tranmere, Brugge, Derby and LASK even without the manager. I don't see much improvement in our league form, we are good as always against good teams that leave us space to exploit but not good against the rest. I am okay with him being here next season as football is in a right mess now but I think it's way too early for "I told you Ole will be great here" stuff, to me there are still lots of question marks about his managerial qualities.

Dve

I didn´t say all that. When you quote someone, make sure that the content of your quote is actual.

I choose to believe this was an accident from your side.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I am still not sure about him. Many say we have made a big progress in the last 1-2 months or so and you might be right but on the other hand our improvement in form always coincides with having to play poorer opposition in cup competitions. We should be beating Tranmere, Brugge, Derby and LASK even without the manager. I don't see much improvement in our league form, we are good as always against good teams that leave us space to exploit but not good against the rest. I am okay with him being here next season as football is in a right mess now but I think it's way too early for "I told you Ole will be great here" stuff, to me there are still lots of question marks about his managerial qualities.
Yes but during that run we also beat City twice, beat Chelsea and drew with Wolves despite Matic’s absence and drew with Everton away which is a notoriously difficult fixture for us. The reason you’ve not seen a massive improvement in the league form is largely down to how few PL games we’ve played since we signed Fernandes. Also, yeah we are meant to be beating these lesser teams but these sort of teams who we’ve been pasting on this run are the same teams we’ve been dropping points to for years.

Hambley

I didn´t say all that. When you quote someone, make sure that the content of your quote is actual.

I choose to believe this was an accident from your side.
I know you didn't. It was me being quoted by 3 users so I tried to quote all of them and failed to do that separately in one post due to some editing error. Fixed it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.