Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lentwood

Ole has done a fantastic job and won't be going anywhere so becoming a bit of a redundant thread really...if I were to name the PL manager currently LEAST likely to get the sack, Ole's name would be right up there

Rish Sawhney

And solskjær has a overall underwhelming win record and pointtally in his PL career so far. Yes Poch didn't win the league the year Leicester did, but neither did Man Utd, City, Chelsea and Arsenal despite having much heftier spending power. You tell me when people started having expectations of Spurs winning the league or the CL. Are you expecting Mourinho to win the league with spurs next season?
Maybe that should tell you that money isn't everything. At a time where all the big teams were in transition Spurs were arguably in the peak of their cycle and still managed to lose it.

Just because Spurs doesn't have CL or PL expectations doesn't mean when they do happen to have a good team they shouldn't be expected to win things.

As for Solskjær you're right he does have low points tally in the 15 months or so he's been here. But you can't ignore the entire context. He has shown league winning form where we beat every kind team to show me that he has the tactical nous and management skills to win all the trophies. He's performed well in big one off games and he's also beaten shit teams comfortably. But he has also been undertaking a big transition in playing staff over the course of this that has left the squad very young and inexperienced. Meanwhile there has been a shortage of quality - not numbers - in certain positions. We had 3 no. 10 with none of them being good enough. Add to that Pogba, who was supposed to be one of the experienced first teamers at the start of the season, has pretty much been unavailable for the entire season. I'd say we've over-performed our circumstances.

In those tough circumstances Fred and McTominay have developed into much better players, Rashford has shown he can take over the main scorer's responsibilities, the defense has become more settled, Greenwood has genuinely emerged as an option player, and most importantly I look forward to watching us play and like the team so much more.

I've honestly never been a fan of changing coaches year to year in general and certainly not when things are actually looking positive just because you see some greener grass along the way or you have some FOMO on someone who had a very good team (probably the best in the country) and didn't win them anything.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Maybe that should tell you that money isn't everything. At a time where all the big teams were in transition Spurs were arguably in the peak of their cycle and still managed to lose it.

Just because Spurs doesn't have CL or PL expectations doesn't mean when they do happen to have a good team they shouldn't be expected to win things.

As for Solskjær you're right he does have low points tally in the 15 months or so he's been here. But you can't ignore the entire context. He has shown league winning form where we beat every kind team to show me that he has the tactical nous and management skills to win all the trophies. He's performed well in big one off games and he's also beaten shit teams comfortably. But he has also been undertaking a big transition in playing staff over the course of this that has left the squad very young and inexperienced. Meanwhile there has been a shortage of quality - not numbers - in certain positions. We had 3 no. 10 with none of them being good enough. Add to that Pogba, who was supposed to be one of the experienced first teamers at the start of the season, has pretty much been unavailable for the entire season. I'd say we've over-performed our circumstances.

In those tough circumstances Fred and McTominay have developed into much better players, Rashford has shown he can take over the main scorer's responsibilities, the defense has become more settled, Greenwood has genuinely emerged as an option player, and most importantly I look forward to watching us play and like the team so much more.

I've honestly never been a fan of changing coaches year to year in general and certainly not when things are actually looking positive just because you see some greener grass along the way or you have some FOMO on someone who had a very good team (probably the best in the country) and didn't win them anything.
I wasnt arguing for Poch over Ole in this argument, only that there is a lot shitting on Poch coming mainly from Ole in fans despite having a rather good overall record in his last 2 jobs. I'm down with the idea of Ole staying on for next season at least.

OrcaFat

I wasnt arguing for Poch over Ole in this argument, only that there is a lot shitting on Poch coming mainly from Ole in fans despite having a rather good overall record in his last 2 jobs. I'm down with the idea of Ole staying on for next season at least.
The bashing that Poch gets on here is over the top and I agree it probably comes mainly from Ole fans. It is a reaction to the posters who continue to clamour for Poch despite his poor showing over rather a long period; those same posters often showing no patience or understanding for Ole and refusing to credit him for any positives.

Poch is, for sure, a decent coach but the evidence that he would be better for us than Ole, whilst an attractive fantasy to some, is not really there.

Gehrman

The bashing that Poch gets on here is over the top and I agree it probably comes mainly from Ole fans. It is a reaction to the posters who continue to clamour for Poch despite his poor showing over rather a long period; those same posters often showing no patience or understanding for Ole and refusing to credit him for any positives.

Poch is, for sure, a decent coach but the evidence that he would be better for us than Ole, whilst an attractive fantasy to some, is not really there.
Imagine if Moyes, LVG, Mourinho and Ole had to work with a transfer budget of 15 mil and had to pay substancially lower wages at United.

Last edited:

OrcaFat

Imagine if Moyes, LVG, Mourinho and Ole had to work with a transfer budget of 15 mil and had to pay substancially lower wages at United.
Poch did well, for a time, within stricter fiscal constraints than Utd managers are used to, assuming that’s what you are alluding to. Duly noted.

I have tried being reasonable before but I just hear the same Poch fan-boy crap. He’s decent, but he is not the messiah and over the last many months he was closer to being “a very naughty boy”.

Gehrman

Poch did well, for a time, within stricter fiscal constraints than Utd managers are used to, assuming that’s what you are alluding to. Duly noted.

I have tried being reasonable before but I just hear the same Poch fan-boy crap. He’s decent, but he is not the messiah and over the last many months he was closer to being “a very naughty boy”.
I don't think he is the messiah, but I think he is unversially rated as a very good manager for a reason.

OrcaFat

I don't think he is the messiah, but I think he is unversially rated as a very good manager for a reason.
He is widely regarded as a very good coach. I can’t argue with that. Managing a club, especially one like Utd, is about more than coaching. I don’t know why Poch’s dismal record over the last year (cup run aside) is brushed aside. It doesn’t make him a bad coach but it surely raises doubt about his management. We’ll see. He could yet end up here, which wouldn’t please me but would reveal his suitability (or, perhaps, lack of).

Now I must congratulate myself for being so gosh darn reasonable.

lysglimt

Scout
I have been critical of Pochettino, but I have never said he isn't a good manager. I just think he gets very much praise considering his managerial record.

He was mediocre at Espanyol - he was good at Southampton, but he also inherited a very good Southampton-side. And he was brilliant for about 18 months or so at Spurs. But the first 2 seasons he didn't do too great - and the last 8-9 months was a disaster. He completely ran Spurs into the ground with (I think) 18 defeats in 36 matches. And I am yet to hear one good explanation as to how a brilliant manager could allow that to happen

ravelston

Post me his record.

You can't win the league either without collecting high points. Poch has done very well in the league considering that he's been managing Spurs and not Man Utd, Chelsea, City or Arsenal. His netspend was 15 mil.
Don't want to be argumentative, but his net spend was 93mil (bought 350mm sold 257mm).

OrcaFat

Don't want to be argumentative, but his net spend was 93mil (bought 350mm sold 257mm).
Just a thought but that would work out as about £15mil per year.

Anyway, although I am not a fan of Poch, he didn’t really spend much. Fortunately for him he already had some very decent players in most positions. (Most of them improved under his coaching and he deserves credit for that. But also, a lot of our players have improved under Ole and I’d like to see him get wider credit too.)

True Ole has had a lot more money to spend (Utd always spend) and that is part of his job which he has done very well. It is not very useful to say “Imagine Ole working with £15m a year” because the Utd job involves spending - on the right players. My reluctance to join the clamour for Poch is my doubt about his overall management, not his coaching. Ole is showing an aptitude for managing this big club.

reddevil80

Is it just me or is this thread just a moot point now? Whether season plays to a finish or it is finished already, Ole has kept his job and goes on into another season. I think this thread has run its course and will be back up and running next season.

lysglimt

Scout
Just a thought but that would work out as about £15mil per year.

Anyway, although I am not a fan of Poch, he didn’t really spend much. Fortunately for him he already had some very decent players in most positions. (Most of them improved under his coaching and he deserves credit for that. But also, a lot of our players have improved under Ole and I’d like to see him get wider credit too.)

True Ole has had a lot more money to spend (Utd always spend) and that is part of his job which he has done very well. It is not very useful to say “Imagine Ole working with £15m a year” because the Utd job involves spending - on the right players. My reluctance to join the clamour for Poch is my doubt about his overall management, not his coaching. Ole is showing an aptitude for managing this big club.
One of the main problems with Poch is that he spent it poorly. Sure he signed some really good players - but he wasted well over £100 million on crap

hmchan

One of the main problems with Poch is that he spent it poorly. Sure he signed some really good players - but he wasted well over £100 million on crap
That's another major concern if we hire Pochettino as manager. It's undeniable that we are now a spending club and I couldn't imagine how he would invest all those money on.

lysglimt

Scout
That's another major concern if we hire Pochettino as manager. It's undeniable that we are now a spending club and I couldn't imagine how he would invest all those money on.
There is that - and Before someone questions my comment on him wasting £100 million

£10 mill on Llorente
£20 mill on Aurier - who isn't crap - but certainly not good enough
£17 mill on Janssen - oh dear
£11 mill on Nkoudou
£30 mill on Sissoko
£40 mill on Sanchez - he isn't bad but after 3 years at the club, he doesn't look like he will ever be good enough

in addiiton Lukas Moura has been good but not great - for close to £30 million

For more or less the same amount of Money we signed Maguire, AWB, Bruno and Dan James

hubbuh

There is that - and Before someone questions my comment on him wasting £100 million

£10 mill on Llorente
£11 mill on Nkoudou
£30 mill on Sissoko
£40 mill on Sanchez - he isn't bad but after 3 years at the club, he doesn't look like he will ever be good enough

For more or less the same amount of Money we signed Maguire, AWB, Bruno and Dan James
Sissoko?! A bad first couple of years but I think he's seen as being a really useful player who's had some big moments for them. As hit and miss as Spurs have been in the market recently, we have been as equally uninspiring (with AWB, Maguire and Bruno looking like a potential corner turned), though with a far higher spend.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

£10 mill on Llorente
£11 mill on Nkoudou
£30 mill on Sissoko

Pochs had previously lamented of him being a glorified head coach which kind of defeats your argument here. I can't see Levy relinquish his powers over something so expensive like transfers are especially at a time when they were either building their stadium or soon afterwards. He certainly won't be afraid telling his manager to either go for a cheaper option or shut up and do his job with no complains whatsoever

SAFMUTD

£10 mill on Llorente
£11 mill on Nkoudou
£30 mill on Sissoko

Damn thats an awful record, bar Moura and Sanchez all the rest are really poor.

i guess the grass is always greener on the otherside but I never thought Spurs had wasted so much on failed players.

Bestie07

I was looking at the league table for the 2015-16 season and noticed that Liverpool only got 60 points that season. It took them less than 2 years from that stage to reaching the Champions League final. I hope our team's progression follows the same path.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I was looking at the league table for the 2015-16 season and noticed that Liverpool only got 60 points that season. It took them less than 2 years from that stage to reaching the Champions League final. I hope our team's progression follows the same path.
Having one of the top managers on the planet is why Liverpool have been so successful. Whether or not Ole has the same potential remains to be seen. Without wanting to sound too pessimistic but I don't think we'll be making any champions league finals in the next couple of years.

lysglimt

Scout
Compare what we have today - with what we had 18 months ago - and it should be a no-brainer. Maybe he will prove not to be good enough to take United to the top, but at the moment he is making the job a hell of a lot easier for whoever is in charge in 12 months.

mancave bear

Ole have done a fantastic job. We have struggled a little against teams who park the bus, but with Bruno and Pogba (or another creative midfielder), this want be a problem anymore. Ole have got great results against the best teams, showing his tactical skills. With 3-4 new top players, I belive we can reach the champions league finals and challenge for the Premier League title. The way he is building the team, it looks like we will stay among the top teams for a long time : )

romufc

There has been alot of people giving Ole criticism, I did too but he is slowly changed my mind somewhat.

If we look back at the team that he took over, we had no clue where that team was going or even when we would compete with the best.

Since then, he has made ruthless decisions off the field by getting rid of players and bringing players in.

Fast forward 18 months, we have a team with the addition of 1/2 players could have one of the best attacks in Europe.

Ole has made mistakes, he has learnt from them and I feel he has improved as a manager.

It is a shame alot of people have made their mind up about him and keep ignoring the job he has done.

Paul_Scholes18

I don't think he is the man to take us to the top . Although not sure we should change manager in the middle of the Corona crisis. I guess he knows the players so maybe better to keep him for next season. Not sure how much damage failing to get into CL will cost us though.

I am not convinced by our transfer strategy under Ole. Still not sure what we can get in the Corona market anyway. Bruno seems to be a top signing so maybe he will get it right more in the future.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Are you serious? Out of all out managers since Fergie, he's had the best transfer strategy.

For once, our signings are coming good.
That's the guy that thinks Lukaku is world class, no wonder he doesn't like our strategy. Clueless.

romufc

That's the guy that thinks Lukaku is world class, no wonder he doesn't like our strategy. Clueless.
That says it all. I think fans need to get grip of reality here. We are rebuilding - one that most thought would take 2/3 years, OIe could potentially do it in 18 months.

There is not a signing he has made that I would complain about so far. Even Ighalo and James.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
That says it all. I think fans need to get grip of reality here. We are rebuilding - one that most thought would take 2/3 years, OIe could potentially do it in 18 months.

There is not a signing he has made that I would complain about so far. Even Ighalo and James.
I completely agree with you fella.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Ole have done a fantastic job. We have struggled a little against teams who park the bus, but with Bruno and Pogba (or another creative midfielder), this want be a problem anymore. Ole have got great results against the best teams, showing his tactical skills. With 3-4 new top players, I belive we can reach the champions league finals and challenge for the Premier League title. The way he is building the team, it looks like we will stay among the top teams for a long time : )
Trouble is people want it all now, now, now. There's no arguing that Ole has massively improved United and although rival fans may not openly admit it, they wouldn't fancy coming up against us. I know Spurs were expecting a hammering just before the lockdown hit.

Considering where other other teams are squadwise, bar perhaps LIverpool, we're also in a good position with just a few more additions needed to push on. Apart from the Pogba conundrum, we don't really have any major issues to resolve playerwise. It's looking good and hopefully we can just continue the momentum pre-COVID. But then again everyone's in the same boat.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
His long stay here is strongly dependant on top of United's chain of command. Bruno arrived bit late, need to keep on with tempo, City or Pool won't wait on us.

romufc

Considering where other other teams are squadwise, bar perhaps LIverpool, we're also in a good position with just a few more additions needed to push on. Apart from the Pogba conundrum, we don't really have any major issues to resolve playerwise. It's looking good and hopefully we can just continue the momentum pre-COVID. But then again everyone's in the same boat.
I agree. Alot of teams have question marks in their squad. As you say apart from Pogba, the biggest one I see is should we stick with Martial or not.

If we look at City, they need a CB? maybe a striker? maybe a Sane replacement ?

Liverpool as well, alot of their fans want a signing, the excitement of a new player, but they want a Werner, Sancho type player.

Chelsea have a settled team but lack a superstar IMO, will Tammy / Mount keep their form up? A LB? CB?

Arsenal have the Auby conundrum and lack quality in MF

Spurs - The squad needs additions.

Status
Not open for further replies.