Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

romufc

Keep hearing how Ole isn’t Pep or Klopp or Poch or not even as good a manager as Jose. Funny then how his record looks against all but Klopp... Not saying he’ll achieve as much, mind. Just a bit amused that despite the body of work so far with a much inferior team, people seem convinced he’s no match for those whose noses he’s bloodying regularly...
I can imagine people saying he is not as good as Pep or Klopp because they have won stuff. However; I do find it funny too when people say, Oh its because we added Bruno we playing well.

No, Jose and LVG both had opportunities to sign players and did not get us playing well.

Secondly, from September we have added Bruno only.. One player does not make you play better football if you have no tactics. We still had Rashford, Martial, Pogba, Matic, Shaw, Lindelof under Jose and where was the good football?

Bruno has been a revelation, but to for some to say no tactics involved? give me a break, Ole has been trying to play this football for a very long time but with no personell.

Then the argument is, without Bruno and Pogba we shit again, well yeahhhh. Without Messi barca are crap.

Without KBD and Laporte CIty are crap
Without VVD and Mane, Liverpool will not be the same.

Keefy18

Just want to share my story.

We had an United forum in my country. It's kinda small with probably a few hundreds frequent members but we're all there for a long time and actually know each other quite well, of course online mostly. So it's all friendly, civilized and nice. Felt like a family somewhat.

Then came the appointment of Mourinho. Soon enough, the forum was flooded with new members. They usually didn't know much about football but kinda nice so fine. It's ok for the first year and a half. Then came the time of bad results, the signing of Sanchez and the Sevilla match. The forum suddenly got divided into two factions fighting each other mercilessly, lot of f word. Pro Mourinho and anti Mourinho of course. Most of the new members were in the pro Mourinho faction. Us the old members the anti. We eventually got tired of this, and we hate the toxic atmosphere at the time so most left.

Then Mourinho was sacked, we the old members got back to the forum. Most of those new members just disappeared. The ones left were still trying to defend Mourinho at all cost. Their main tactic was just playing dumb or driving the conversation away if their argument was wrong. If they couldn't then the f word again. It annoyed us old members too much that most left again.

Last year I checked and the forum was dead. It just no longer existed.
A bit like Mourinho's football career these days then yeah? :)

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I think we all underestimate what Ole has done since taking the managers job.

Like them or loathe them LVG and Jose were pretty consistent in their views of our squad. The difference was they were buying likes of schweinsteiger and to a degree matic as quick fixes.

Ole came in and with the stock he shifted it could and maybe should have been a lot worse for us in terms of league position.

I always stuck up for Ole as his words seemed to mean something to me. I could almost see the frustration in his eyes having to play a certain way due, imo, to players he had at hand.

Truth be told I'm not 100% certain he will take us to the promised land, simply due to inexperience. But if his 3 year tenure has us there or there about I can see a few managers who are at the top of their game being interested in us.

For what it's worth I hope it is Ole and we see another SAF like long term tenure.
Nothing in life is certain. Ole will gain a lot of experience over the next few weeks, and he will gradually learn the ins and outs of EPL, and European matches, so I have no doubt that he could be United's manager for many years. The proof of the pudding will be how many trophies he will win with United? He may be a good coach/manager, and get the team playing great football, but ultimately his success will be gauged by silverware. Personally I think he will be successful at Old Trafford.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Because of course, both Pep and Klopp took over, bought absolutely nobody and converted no-hopers into serial winners without any change, leave alone upgrade, of personnel. The same way as Fergie did with United previously. And Jose did with Chelsea. And... I trust you get the drift...
Indeed. We're comparing pretty well with Klopps start at Liverpool. The big difference between Pep/Klopp and Ole is they managed to score far more goals in the same time period. Ole on 92 goals scored in the league, while Pep has 108 and Klopp on 107. Poch has the worst record with 84.

I know some people have this belief that Klopp and Pep stormed it, but they really didn't early on. They did however find a way to reach another level of performance, something Pep achieved a little quicker than Klopp.

*56 games played, x axis = games, y axis = total points

Strelok

A bit like Mourinho's football career these days then yeah? :)
Yeah, we used to have a lot of fun, throwing events in different cities across the country for fans to gather and celebrate. It's a shame that all gone. Thanks to Jose.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Indeed. We're comparing pretty well with Klopps start at Liverpool. The big difference between Pep/Klopp and Ole is they managed to score far more goals in the same time period. Ole on 92 goals scored in the league, while Pep has 108 and Klopp on 107. Poch has the worst record with 84.

I know some people have this belief that Klopp and Pep stormed it, but they really didn't early on. They did however find a way to reach another level of performance, something Pep achieved a little quicker than Klopp.

Would like to see a moving average of the PPG graph.

Gator Nate

I think what Ole is right now is the best all-around manager that we've had since Fergie. Granted, he probably doesn't have control of the transfers like SAF did, but he seems to get what it is to actually manage the whole team and its operations better than his predecessors. The Recycled One, for sure, is a great tactician, maybe, but he wants to bring in finished products and put them on the field. I don't get the feeling from him that he cares one whit what happens off the pitch, outside of the training structure to pull off his ideas. LvG comes across as not much better. I think Moyes (interestingly, he's one of only four managers with more PL wins than Mourinho) probably does get it a good bit better, but he wasn't ready yet and probably isn't still.

Ole is a man manager first, and seems to take that off the field as much as on the field. He keeps things behind closed doors - you don't see him bashing the squad in the pressers or with leaks. The club is his castle. And given his record against the other big teams, you can't say he doesn't understand tactics. Sorry, that argument doesn't hold weight. Things were improving pre-Bruno, but Bruno was like a key opening the gate to defeating the parked busses. Everything else was already in place. We've seen how that's worked out the last several games. Squad depth problems aren't on him - those issues were there before he walked in the door. He has, however, overseen the movement of players to relieve that. Guys that were starting for him last fall are on the bench - or already gone - and better quality has been brought in.

"I just don't think he's the guy that can get us there" is just an opinion that can only be based on a lack of time, and no other facts.

On the fitness thing, too, that was one of his few public criticisms of the squad from day one. I remember one of his first pressers and he mentioned that fitness was not where it needed to be. It took all of about two months for it to bring the team to its knees, too, and it cost us players, matches, points, and league position. But look at that FA Cup match against Norwich just two weekends ago... Several players went 120 minutes. Yeah, we were tired, but we weren't dead on our feet.

Now, Ole has to win all five remaining matches. But if he does...

If Leicester drops any other points, we're in the Champions League.
If Chelsea drops any two points, we're in the Champions League.
If we win the Europa League, we're in the Champions League.

There's still a great shot at the FA Cup.

Oh, and we're now 11 points behind second. Not realistic, but the way City are dropping points? :lol:

midnightmare

Great stuff. Would be interesting to see the GD and PPG charts. Pep inherited a terrific attack and strengthened it while Klopp too prioritized attack while leaking goals. Ole has followed the SAF template in that sense by fixing defence first. While that too was a tad painful (we conceded some worldies and also dropped the occasional bollock), we seemed to fix our defence a lot sooner than the attack. It's something I keep pointing out to the Moo cultists. Moo managed to finish second, ahead of the dippers (who finished fourth behind even Spuds), but even in the latter half of that season - as well as all summer - everyone kept talking far more of the dippers as challengers for the coming season. It was clear as day that we outscored them simply because DdG was a monster for us that season while their issues were clearly about just conceding too many.

As such, I'd expect that relative performances should be reflected by the the shift in GD and not GS alone. I still feel Klopp will come out ahead, but it'd make for interesting viewing.

Edit:
Klopp went from +13 (first partial season; don't know the split for his term) to +36 to +46 and is at +47 now.
It's not GS that's driven this. It's the GC (after the first season).

Last edited:

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Absolutely, we'd probably have a squad mutiny on our hands.
If it ain't broken don't fix it. Also, it would be incredibly disrespectful to replace Ole with the often mentioned Pochettino. Especially after Poch had such a disastrous season, whereas Ole has actually ended on a high.

wrinklydong

There are enough evidence for me to believe that Ole is the right person for this job long term. I'm not basing this on his track record but rather from what i saw during his tenure. He has a clear vision for the team and is excellent at engaging people at all levels to deliver his ideas ;from the board, the staff, players and the fans. That to me is the most important skill set to have if he were to translate his vision and ideas into results. He is also good at problem solving. Faced with injury crisis, toxic dressing room and a hostile transfer market earlier in the season he cleared out players who doesn't fit into his plans and integrated the youth players who does. He has also managed to improve or reinvigorate existing players and had spent to address the team's weakness (without going into argument of player valuation). Of course Bruno brought us up another level but everything came together because of Ole's hardwork and big decisions in favor of long term vision over short term results. We now have a very exciting team and you can genuinely feel that he is in the process of bringing Man Utd back.

Currently my vote is on "sack now" but it's unfair. I do however miss a fourth option in the vote. I'm not won over just yet. I love what I'm seeing at the moment but I'll need to see it happen over more games and I'll need a good start and consistency next season too. I'll give him time and support but I'm not on a "Keep Ole and back him to finish rebuild" just yet.

Amarsdd

Genuine question. Those who are saying you don't see Ole winning us the league or that he cannot become a great modern manager like Pep and Klopp with time because of his weaknesses. What are those weaknesses? Only one I can say is a weakness is that he is not reactive in terms of substituting players. However we might be playing he makes changes around the 60 min mark. Mind you, he is still reactive in terms of changing tactics during the game.

Last edited:

peridigm

Thought he was a gonner now I love him like my momma!
I didn't think he was on the verge of being sacked. This time around has a different feel. If it were any other manager they'd have been sacked in the middle of the season. Ole has obviously sold his project to the board and they feel comfortable with letting him continue. He's a yes man and they value that. The board are backing him and the players appear to love playing for him. Happy our form is on the rise and we're playing some great football, in the PL at least. Let's hope we continue to do so in the FA Cup and EL. This season could still end with glory or it could still go tits up. Either way, Ole has to stay.

Giggsy13

I was concerned this past summer in how Ole handled the clear out and failed to make the signings we obviously needed. Not getting Bruno in the summer was a major misstep but if we can get top 4 and a trophy then all is forgiven.

Fts 74

Don't mind admitting I was ole in for a long time until the Burnley defeat where I changed to out.

We're by no means the finished article but he deserves huge credit

RedPed

Whatabouter.
If it ain't broken don't fix it. Also, it would be incredibly disrespectful to replace Ole with the often mentioned Pochettino. Especially after Poch had such a disastrous season, whereas Ole has actually ended on a high.
I don't get the Poch love in when people say Ole's done a great job but it's unlikely he'll take us to the top. Poch has done nothing to prove that he could/would do any better at United.

Web of Bissaka

The few problems left...
1) Breaking down low blocks. We lost points and struggled to win against those teams. Ole rely too much on individual talents, specifically one man -> Bruno, if you want a good consistent chance in breaking that kind of bus defense. Else, we're back to toying the ball around pedestrian-style majority of the games.

2) Pressing and Fitness. Fine, I'll be the one that dare to point it out. The C19 break helps a lot and yes great initiative by Ole, the coaches and the players in seriously preparing their fitness to the utmost, then go full throttle (generally) ever since this restart. Do people forget earlier games? Our team pressing is rubbish. Players doesn't press well together. It's good now.. finally. Also, our fitness before has less runnings and less pressings. The change of formation to 4231 also seems to suit that system of managing fitness by running less. My understanding is that Ole is preparing to manage the fitness for the whole season with a depleted squad with proven quality and firepower leaving (Herrera, Lukaku, etc) so the change is "rational". Putting Pogba deeper also supposedly help manage his fitness better. Remember what happened during Ole's first 1/2 season? His first plan is to push all players to press crazy and they sure did, but then plenty got injured later on eg. Pogba, Herrera, etc and heavy fatigue were obvious eg. Rashford. So the start of this season is quite slow if we look at the whole team, newer players eg. James, AWB, and newer "starter" eg. McTominay though are enthusiastic and provided the quick pace and tempo start of the season. The pressings and intensity are too individualistic. Now, everyone is generally on the same foot = intensity.

3) Few deadwoods left, are they staying? Additional problem (most likely no more) is perhaps keeping few "favourite" deadwoods eg. Lingard, Jones, etc. But that seems less likely considering his recent track records.

So.. just Problem No.1 left, confirmed, plus 2 more potentially but less likely.

Other than that, Ole have learned his mistakes and quickly rectify it eg. getting Bruno asap after skipping him the window before, fitness preparations by making full use of times, and playing the best 11 to get higher chance of consistent wins. He kept on switching the starting 11 around before this ain't he (before restart and early restart games), and our results then are similarly random, team performances in games is also unsettle and lacking good consistency/good stability.

Conclusion: He's doing a great job at the moment, by quickly learning on the job.

shaky

I don't get the Poch love in when people say Ole's done a great job but it's unlikely he'll take us to the top. Poch has done nothing to prove that he could/would do any better at United.
Yup. Credit to him for building a great team on a budget, but he had that great team for years and failed to deliver one single trophy or serious title challenge with it, so it was all a bit of a waste. I'm sure his record against the top 6 was pretty garbage too, especially compared to Ole's so far.

mancave bear

Currently my vote is on "sack now" but it's unfair. I do however miss a fourth option in the vote. I'm not won over just yet. I love what I'm seeing at the moment but I'll need to see it happen over more games and I'll need a good start and consistency next season too. I'll give him time and support but I'm not on a "Keep Ole and back him to finish rebuild" just yet.
And how smart do you think it would be to sack him now?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Genuine question. Those who are saying you don't see Ole winning us the league or that he cannot become a great modern manager like Pep and Klopp with time because of his weaknesses. What are those weaknesses? Only one I can say is a weakness is that he is not reactive in terms of substituting players. However, we might be playing he makes changes around the 60 min mark. Mind you, he is still reactive in terms of changing tactics during the game.
Simple answer -- consistency in results. I gave ole one last change this January to see if it truly is the lack of a #10 and seems like it was but this purple patch will end, it always does for any manager. The test is how he brings us back after that. Are we ready to have another 6 games of back to back draws?

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Still respective to top 4 hopes. If no top 4, he has to go - I don't care what he's building he needs to go because at this point, it would be a massive feck up if we don't get top 4 given our weak schedule.

We need to essentially win out or not lose.. and if we're going to be title challengers then we need to go on these sorts of runs anyways.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Still respective to top 4 hopes. If no top 4, he has to go - I don't care what he's building he needs to go because at this point, it would be a massive feck up if we don't get top 4 given our weak schedule.

We need to essentially win out or not lose.. and if we're going to be title challengers then we need to go on these sorts of runs anyways.
We tried the quick fix version with LvG and Mourinho spunking out hundred of millions on players who weren't good enough, how about letting him continiue the build he's started? It's looking very good.
How does our weak schedule affect the teams that are ahead of us? Sure, they can lose, but what if they don't? Should Ole be sacked because the teams ahead of us won their games?

This is not aimed at you, but i swear that IF we had hired Poch, and it had gone exactly the same way as it has under Ole, people wouldn't want him out if he didn't get top 4.
They would want him to keep building for next year, because his Tottenham challenged for titles and top 4 every year. It's just because Ole hasn't managed a top team before, oh and he smiles in interviews.
It's literally just the name, not what he's doing.

RedPed

Whatabouter.

You're in cloud cuckoo land if you think that's ever going to happen. The guy ain't going nowhere even if we don't get top 4.

Giggsy13

Ole’s record against the current top 4: 5 wins, 1 loss and 1 draw. Generally his tactics have been spot on in the big games but unnecessary points were dropped against bottom half teams in the first half of the season, which was also due to injuries and no Bruno. Ole’s tactics are now working on teams who sit back now that he has a full compliment of players available. Ole deserves another year at the very least.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
"Finish in the top-four or get binned, Ole, irrespective of the progression the team has made over the course of the season"

Really?

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I had strong skepticisms and criticism of Ole, rightly so at the time imo, but I have to say now that he deserves his fair share of credit. The Bruno signing certainly saved his ass big time, and then additionally, with the long break from COVID-19 where everyone recovered from injury, has excelled us further. I still think he has far more to prove, but with the direction we are going, and the current vibe of the squad, there's no way we should sack him now. I am happy to be wrong with my initial opinions before.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If no top 4, he has to go - I don't care what he's building he needs to go because at this point, it would be a massive feck up if we don't get top 4 given our weak schedule.
That's ridiculous.

At least if you mean it literally.

We could win all of our remaining games, beat Leicester 5-0 and still end up 5th.

And if that happened, you still wouldn't give a feck about what he's building and say: sack?

For that matter, we could enter a shabby patch, play shite football - get knocked out of the cups - and end up 4th because the teams around us fail to deliver much. And, in that scenario, you would say: keep?

Because...4th?

M Bison

Supports
York City
I can’t believe there are still people who’d sack him now, with only 5 games of the season remaining and on current form :lol:

midnightmare

I can’t believe there are still people who’d sack him now, with only 5 games of the season remaining and on current form :lol:
There’s some that’ll say sack even if he goes through a season where we win the PL by scoring 114 points with 0 goals conceded, add the CL and FAC and win the League Cup while playing our U8s. Amadeus would probably say that’s the best time to sack him and bring in Poch at that stage to “take us to the next level”.

mufc90

I definitely think Ole is the man for the future. He has got the team back playing that quick attacking football that United is known for and made it exciting again for us fans to watch. There were times under the 3 previous managers that I just couldn't watch the slow horizontal football that they played and would stop watching. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Greenwood develops, I think Ole is managing him and his progress pretty well, I would imagine in other clubs a young player of his calibre would be starting a lot more and the pressure on him to perform would be greater.

Rob Corona

I'm Ole in even if we finish 7th now.

The style he wants to implement is a play style that suits us as a club going forward. Pochettino may well have done decent at Spurs but for me Ole has the right ideas for our club and his football will be much better once he gets all the tools he desires.

The only blemish against him is his time at Cardiff. But if you think about it, that was likely due to his inexperience as a manager thinking he could make players who were suited to play under the like of Neil Warnock play a progressive play style. Ole has reportedly said that he messed up with rotations at Cardiff which is quite important in a high press in defensive transition. People do learn from their mistakes and not in a million years would I take Pochettino over Ole right now because I believe Ole is a better man manager for our club and his football is high risk which will be more enjoyable to watch in comparison to Poch.
I'm Ole in even if we finish 7th now.

The style he wants to implement is a play style that suits us as a club going forward. Pochettino may well have done decent at Spurs but for me Ole has the right ideas for our club and his football will be much better once he gets all the tools he desires.

The only blemish against him is his time at Cardiff. But if you think about it, that was likely due to his inexperience as a manager thinking he could make players who were suited to play under the like of Neil Warnock play a progressive play style. Ole has reportedly said that he messed up with rotations at Cardiff which is quite important in a high press in defensive transition. People do learn from their mistakes and not in a million years would I take Pochettino over Ole right now because I believe Ole is a better man manager for our club and his football is high risk which will be more enjoyable to watch in comparison to Poch.

"The only blemish against him is his time at Cardiff. But if you think about it, that was likely due to his inexperience as a manager thinking he could make players who were suited to play under the like of Neil Warnock play a progressive play style. "

Excellent point.

Football smartness is required above work rate to succeed with Ole's style. One thing you can't quick fix is follballers IQ. You need the expensive talent to play Ole's style.
Some managers fit expensive players and clubs with high bugdets, and fail with low budgets. Ole fits well with big budget clubs. And expecially Mancester United, a club which he knows as good as anyone.

Rob Corona

There are enough evidence for me to believe that Ole is the right person for this job long term. I'm not basing this on his track record but rather from what i saw during his tenure. He has a clear vision for the team and is excellent at engaging people at all levels to deliver his ideas ;from the board, the staff, players and the fans. That to me is the most important skill set to have if he were to translate his vision and ideas into results. He is also good at problem solving. Faced with injury crisis, toxic dressing room and a hostile transfer market earlier in the season he cleared out players who doesn't fit into his plans and integrated the youth players who does. He has also managed to improve or reinvigorate existing players and had spent to address the team's weakness (without going into argument of player valuation). Of course Bruno brought us up another level but everything came together because of Ole's hardwork and big decisions in favor of long term vision over short term results. We now have a very exciting team and you can genuinely feel that he is in the process of bringing Man Utd back.
Good and intelligent arguments. These points are overseen or not understood by many fans.

lysglimt

Scout
I still feel like he’s not a top class manager who can compete with City/Liverpool & bring us to the top of English & European football again. Niggling doubt that Bruno has changed everything with not much managerial input. As we did have some awful performance with no pattern of play established & we were getting worse until Bruno’s arrival. Of course counter point could be he needed Bruno for his style of play & deserves credit for fitting him in well- which he does.

Overall I’m not convinced he’s the best manager we could get, but he does deserve credit for the upturn in form recently (However the game against Bournemouth worried me as seemed to be no structure to our play...)

If they replaced him I’d understand it but also if he gets another season (which is likely) I’ll obviously get behind him all the way, And just hope we look a consistent outfit next year pushing top 2, not top 6 & long runs in Europe.
of course you don't, considering few people were so negative towards OGS as you were

And how smart do you think it would be to sack him now?
And how smart would it be backing him with a full rebuild if this is just another false dawn and we're messing around 10th mid-season next year?

I know there's no way of knowing how it'll go. My post was mostly aimed at the lack of a more cautious vote as the three current options may be a bit lackluster.

Keep and let him rebuild, sack now, or sack when the seasons end. I don't really see myself in any of those votes. I'm backing Ole and supporting him but if this is just another false dawn and we slip back into mediocrity then I'd be in favour of a new setup.

Tarrou

And how smart would it be backing him with a full rebuild if this is just another false dawn and we're messing around 10th mid-season next year?

I know there's no way of knowing how it'll go. My post was mostly aimed at the lack of a more cautious vote as the three current options may be a bit lackluster.

Keep and let him rebuild, sack now, or sack when the seasons end. I don't really see myself in any of those votes. I'm backing Ole and supporting him but if this is just another false dawn and we slip back into mediocrity then I'd be in favour of a new setup.
What would you suggest the option is?

Backing him now doesn't mean you're beholden to it if things go tits up later on. Most who are backing him now will change their minds if we're mid-table next year.

such a poor post. Although I assume you must know that already.

lysglimt

Scout

So we win our next 5 games and draw against Leicester and end 5th (and lose the Europa League final on penalties) - then we sack a manager who is on the following run: 11 wins and 4 draws in the league

It wouldn't be a massive feck up if we dont get top 4 - because despite our weak schedule, we still require the other teams to lose points to get top 4

Rafaeldagold

So we win our next 5 games and draw against Leicester and end 5th (and lose the Europa League final on penalties) - then we sack a manager who is on the following run: 11 wins and 4 draws in the league

It wouldn't be a massive feck up if we dont get top 4 - because despite our weak schedule, we still require the other teams to lose points to get top 4
Yes but why are we in this position in the first place of needing to win every game just to have a chance at top 4? Our horrendous form under Ole during the season..!

Status
Not open for further replies.