Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

midnightmare

Yes but why are we in this position in the first place of needing to win every game just to have a chance at top 4? Our horrendous form under Ole during the season..!
Old saying: "None so blind as he who will not see".

Effectively your point is, "Forget the evidence; I just want to achieve a preset outcome". You're therefore willing to absolutely ignore all facts as they stand. It's not reasonable - and that is why this thread continues to go in circles.

Rafaeldagold

Old saying: "None so blind as he who will not see".

Effectively your point is, "Forget the evidence; I just want to achieve a preset outcome". You're therefore willing to absolutely ignore all facts as they stand. It's not reasonable - and that is why this thread continues to go in circles.
Evidence is we haven’t been good enough under Ole to make top 4 a certainty have we? Not a title push, not to come 2nd, but just trying to squeeze into top 4.

Tony247

Top 4 is in our hands now, unless wolves do a miracle and improves their GD better than us.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Evidence is we haven’t been good enough under Ole to make top 4 a certainty have we? Not a title push, not to come 2nd, but just trying to squeeze into top 4.
Oh yeah we were shocking until the turn of the year. But you have to look at the now, the team looks settled, they’re playing good stuff over a large sample size.

It’s obvious the players like Ole, who says they won’t down tools if we got rid of him? He absolutely deserves next season.

Improvement has been so good since mid-December that he should and will be in for another season regardless of what happens in the next 5 games.
All you can really expect from a manager is for them to learn and improve, and there’s no doubt our second half of the season has been night and day from the first.
Delighted for him.

Squeaky Bumtime

I know it's a forum and all but it's ludicrous to suggest we should sack him if we dont get top 4. It's not just top 4 or not, it's the thing if we're making strides and making progression as a team which we are. Team is on a great run, they're playing some good stuff, players are obviously happy and are into Ole's methods and with few more additions things can be only better. Why stop all that just cause of top 4 or lack of.
Of course it would be a problem if we dont get it, Adidas closes the pipe a bit and it hurts a club of United's magnitude to not be in the CL 2 years in a row but on the other hand we've finally steadied the ship after all the wanderingn with the managers, transfers and styles.

He shoould most definitely stay and be given a chance to improve our team more and more. Improvement is obvious to see, it's a joy to watch United after all those years.

I have some reservations about him about ingame management but even that has gotten better.
In any case it's sad to see some people wont let go of their obvious agenda. It's one thing to say I'm not convinced the other is he should get sacked and things like - forget our good run remember how bad we were.
Yeah we were bad, now we're not!

Rafaeldagold

Oh yeah we were shocking until the turn of the year. But you have to look at the now, the team looks settled, they’re playing good stuff over a large sample size.

It’s obvious the players like Ole, who says they won’t down tools if we got rid of him? He absolutely deserves next season.
Yes our form since the turn of the year has been great, & Ole deserves credit for that. Overall as a season I’m not so sure it can be labelled a great success.

Is he the best manager we could get? I don’t think so. Has he done enough to get another season- probably. And if he does get another season I hope he proves me wrong & this current form continues into next season

Tarrou

a lot of the people saying it comes down to top 4 are just projecting their hope that Ole fails and they are proved correct, IMO

it doesn't matter though, there is absolutely feckall chance Ole gets the sack before next season

Rafaeldagold

Improvement has been so good since mid-December that he should and will be in for another season regardless of what happens in the next 5 games.
All you can really expect from a manager is for them to learn and improve, and there’s no doubt our second half of the season has been night and day from the first.
Delighted for him.
Improvement is a good word. This is why I was against Ole continuing end of last year as we started well under him & then had awful awful form. Which could’ve easily led to a sacking- So at that point he wasn’t improving us, the form & performance were regressing .

But since Jan we’ve improved so I’ve no idea what to make of the direction he’s taking us as it’s been hit & miss

What would you suggest the option is?

Backing him now doesn't mean you're beholden to it if things go tits up later on. Most who are backing him now will change their minds if we're mid-table next year.
That's true. I just don't tend to change my mind (vote) to whatever is flavour of the month.

I'd like a vote that said "Give Ole time and support and see where we're at in six months time" ish. By then Solskjær will have had plenty of time to show improved consistency. Something we've lacked for the majority of his tenure.

midnightmare

Top 4 is not a "certainty" for any team barring Liverpool. Not even City are "guaranteed" Top 4 at this stage.
Like I said - you're not looking at anything apart from what you can cite to support a conclusion that you are willing to change.
That's what makes it pointless to debate.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Yes our form since the turn of the year has been great, & Ole deserves credit for that. Overall as a season I’m not so sure it can be labelled a great success.

Is he the best manager we could get? I don’t think so. Has he done enough to get another season- probably. And if he does get another season I hope he proves me wrong & this current form continues into next season
Oh yeah I basically agree with all of that. Sometimes it isn’t about having the perfect manager though, but the one that just fits the club perfectly.

It’s not a successful season, this club should be fighting for the league every season, no doubt, but Ole is currently doing exceptionally well, and you can see the squad improving so much to the stage where we have an excellent side. He did that, he deserves the chance to continue this rebuild into next season.

Rafaeldagold

Top 4 is not a "certainty" for any team barring Liverpool. Not even City are "guaranteed" Top 4 at this stage.
Like I said - you're not looking at anything apart from what you can cite to support a conclusion that you are willing to change.
That's what makes it pointless to debate.
How are you so sure Ole is the right man for the job?

We had a good start under him, then an awful awful period of bad football & results & now we’ve had a good period.

I can see why some would say give him a chance & fair enough he’ll probably get another season now & good luck to him & I hope we have consistency and a settled pattern of play. But to just dismiss all concerns regarding Ole is a bit naive I think, as it most certainly hadn’t been a smooth ride during his tenure.

midnightmare

We had a good start under him, then an awful awful period of bad football & results & now we’ve had a good period.

I can see why some would say give him a chance & fair enough he’ll probably get another season now & good luck to him & I hope we have consistency and a settled pattern of play. But to just dismiss all concerns regarding Ole is a bit naive I think, as it most certainly hadn’t been a smooth ride during his tenure.
Errr... I'm not even saying Ole will win the title with us. He has however done more than enough to convince anyone reasonable that there is no reason to sack him now and that there are enough and more reasons to back him fully in the market. I have highlighted that your argument to sack if he doesn't make Top 4 is basically pointless. And to say that a Top 4 finish not being a certainty right now is enough to sack him would mean that City (who were champions last season and not 6th) should sack Pep as they too are not yet assured Top 4.

Edit:

There is also a pattern to the results and performances - if you choose to actually see it. I won't go into it again as each page has posters mentioning these several times over. Clearly you haven't read those. Else you'd not just call it "good period".

Rafaeldagold

Errr... I'm not even saying Ole will win the title with us. He has however done more than enough to convince anyone reasonable that there is no reason to sack him now and that there are enough and more reasons to back him fully in the market. I have highlighted that your argument to sack if he doesn't make Top 4 is basically pointless. And to say that a Top 4 finish not being a certainty right now is enough to sack him would mean that City (who were champions last season and not 6th) should sack Pep as they too are not yet assured Top 4.
Come on City are finishing 2nd and easily top 4.

I didn’t say sack him if we don’t get top 4, I’m just saying it’s a useful barometer to if we’ve had a successful season or not as a club of our stature should be in the Champions League. And really I don’t think he’s done enough to strongly convince over an entire season.

I’m more worried about the awful performances & play during a large part of the season. And also even over Bournemouth we didn’t look solid or structured at all.

I’m not saying definitely sack him, I’m just saying either decision of keep him or sack him would be reasonable I think if you look at the season as a whole

Tarrou

Come on City are finishing 2nd and easily top 4.

I didn’t say sack him if we don’t get top 4, I’m just saying it’s a useful barometer to if we’ve had a successful season or not as a club of our stature should be in the Champions League. And really I don’t think he’s done enough to strongly convince over an entire season.

I’m more worried about the awful performances & play during a large part of the season. And also even over Bournemouth we didn’t look solid or structured at all.

I’m not saying definitely sack him, I’m just saying either decision of keep him or sack him would be reasonable I think if you look at the season as a whole
I thought we looked very structured against Bournemouth.

If you take away the mistakes I don't think they had a shot on target.

Keefy18

Still respective to top 4 hopes. If no top 4, he has to go - I don't care what he's building he needs to go because at this point, it would be a massive feck up if we don't get top 4 given our weak schedule.

We need to essentially win out or not lose.. and if we're going to be title challengers then we need to go on these sorts of runs anyways.
Dear god, the state of this. :houllier: :wenger:

Rafaeldagold

I thought we looked very structured against Bournemouth.

If you take away the mistakes I don't think they had a shot on target.
We’ve played well recently but Bournemouth was sloppy & definitely not structured at all..they cut through us with ease too

Keefy18

Id like to see him be ruthless with contract renewals. I'm thinking of JLingz especially here, I know it won't entirely be Ole's decision but he must be consulted on it but I'll be less than impressed if I see JLingz with a new contract. Matic earn his but Ole has given JLingz plenty of chances to earn a new contract and he hasn't taken them. Giving him a new one wouldn't be a sign of serious intent to challenge. Yes you need squad players but they need to be capable of doing a job if called on. He isn't. Thanks for the FA Cup goal Jesse but its time to move on.
Not much he can do is there really? A players contract is what it is, it runs down and then they move on. It looks like he's going to be let go in the summer anyway if were being brutally honest.

He can't just boot the player out of the club, cause then as you point out elsewhere upsets the harmony in the squad quite likely. He's simply put a challenge to Lingard, improve immensely or your time here is up.

I've not heard of any serious rumors of him being rewarded with a new deal so I'm not concerned.

Possibly look at dropping De Gea for a game or 2. Romero is solid as a back up however know people are very split on this. I guess it depends why DDG is so poor at times as to whether dropping him would work, that is down to Ole and his coaches to decide. I've marked the thread about him to read when I have the time as think it'll be quite interesting, obviously we can only speculate whereas Ole and Co are the ones working with him. I have noticed the recent omission of JLingz which is a positive, was he too keen to persist with him before, possibly.
I agree De Gea is on a big decline, my issue though is I don't see Romero as good enough. He's never consistently been a #1 wherever he's been other than Sampdoria I think it was and even then it was short lived.

Good back up but I'd also be worried dropping De Gea for him would upset the squad harmony too. If De Gea was to lose his place to Henderson I don't think it'd be as much of an issue however.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
We’ve played well recently but Bournemouth was sloppy & definitely not structured at all..they cut through us with ease too
"Cut through us with ease". "Not structured".

How on earth do you get one without the other?

Not you in particular but why are our own fans highlighting this game as if it was somehow a close and evenly tied match with out defense being a glaring problem area?

A few things:

Bornemouth play in the Premier League, they are not a BAD football team, regardless of their league position, on a good day they can beat anyone. Every team in the Premier League can beat any team if they're not playing well, that's happene multiple tims this season alone. Even Liverpool got a clobbering against Watford. And remember we lost to this team earlier in the season.

Their 1-0 goal was the first goal we've conceded in the Premier League in open play at Old Trafford in 500 minutes of gametime.

The penalty awarded was just a ridiculous "not in a million years" freak mistake.

Saying that Bornemouth was not structured is doing Manchester United a bit of a disservice. A Premier League team doesn't just become a mess of a pub team, they become that way because the other team are playing their socks off. Our midfield and wingbacks are playing out of their minds currently, and long may it continue.

We retained possession 72% of this game. With 15 shot attempts, 10 of which hit the goal, with 5 in the back of the net. To illustrate how much Bornemouth were struggling to contain us, they created 12 free kicks, most of which on their own half.

Yes they scored 2 goals, one from a penalty that is awarded once every 5 seasons because just how often is Eric Bailly going to just hands the ball on a pass back during normal play? The 1-0 goal was absolutely shoddy defending but I'm going to give them a pass for that, for the aforementioned 500 minutes of 0 goals conceded, and the 43-6 goal difference over the past 16 games.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Keep hearing how Ole isn’t Pep or Klopp or Poch or not even as good a manager as Jose. Funny then how his record looks against all but Klopp... Not saying he’ll achieve as much, mind. Just a bit amused that despite the body of work so far with a much inferior team, people seem convinced he’s no match for those whose noses he’s bloodying regularly...
I still feel like he’s not a top class manager who can compete with City/Liverpool
at the time of writing this City have lost more matches this season than United.

ReddBalls

Not you in particular but why are our own fans highlighting this game as if it was somehow a close and evenly tied match with out defense being a glaring problem area?
Probably from watching the highlights only.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Wow. You really think sacking him now would be a reasonable decision? People everywhere are purring about this team. Recent form, the potential, the individual players, everything. Its been a very long time since this has happened. You'd still sack the manager though.......

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
1. Ole joins the club and lifts the spirits of the entire staff, this results in an excellent start.
2. Fitness of the players eventually fails and the run of form ends, this coincides with injuries and our players looking tired. We run out of steam and end with poor form in 18/19.
3. Ole starts to form his team, bringing in several new faces and binning off players not good enough. Improvement of player fitness begins in pre season.
4. Form in the first half of 19/20 is erratic with the new faces struggling at times and some key personal getting injured. This highlights the poor quality in depth we have in the squad.
5. More players brought in January to further build Ole's team. Our Summer signings look settled and we bring in a key signing of Bruno to improve a very poor quality area of the team.
6. Results now improve as Oles team settles, player fitness looks vastly improved from last season, as does the defense which is bringing in far more clean sheets. We're scoring more goals.

The fact Ole has shown that he can produce a run of consistent results (twice) is a very, very positive sign. But couple that with impressive form against the top 6 and if you read between the lines you'll see Ole has the tools to succeed here long term. Club morale from players, staff to fans is high too, the only weakness imo Ole has is in game management. That could be improved with an addition to coaching staff, but I think that's looked better recently. Still an issue, but looks better.

lysglimt

Scout
Yes but why are we in this position in the first place of needing to win every game just to have a chance at top 4? Our horrendous form under Ole during the season..!
So because we were poor in september and october, we should fire the manager who now has turned us into the team with the best form ? At least, unlike you, OGS and United have improved since september and october

Rafaeldagold

So because we were poor in september and october, we should fire the manager who now has turned us into the team with the best form ? At least, unlike you, OGS and United have improved since september and october
Not just sept/Oct was it.

Anyway yes crazy talk wanting to judge a manager over a season you’re right

shaky

It's crazy talk to judge a manager over his first full season if you're not going to heavily weight the judgement towards 2nd half of the season performances. A good manager should improve things as time goes on. If we'd gotten off to a flying start until xmas, then gradually been worse and worse towards the end of the season, that would be far more concerning than starting slowly, then getting better and better.

Gator Nate

Bornemouth play in the Premier League, they are not a BAD football team, regardless of their league position, on a good day they can beat anyone. Every team in the Premier League can beat any team if they're not playing well, that's happene multiple tims this season alone. Even Liverpool got a clobbering against Watford. And remember we lost to this team earlier in the season.
An outstanding point, and one that gets ignored way too much over the course of a full season.

Their 1-0 goal was the first goal we've conceded in the Premier League in open play at Old Trafford in 500 minutes of gametime.
That's why I don't get overly bothered by a single goal, especially that one. And in the Bournemouth game, the second was a result of a bad call.

lysglimt

Scout

We had some poor games even after october, but then again all teams do - even Liverpool had a few. But starting with the Liverpool-game in mid-october our results have been 25 wins 9 Draws and and 7 defeats. (and one of the defeats were Astana when we played a bunch of kids).

So of course we should judge a manager over a whole season, but I believe even you accept that matches over the last 6 months are more important than matches played in september and october when we had Pogba and Martial injured, when we didnt have Fernandes, when Greenwood hadn't broken into the team and when we had to play with Andreas, Lingard and Mata regularly.

Oh btw - below are some of your comments in october/november when you were at your arrogant best, ridiculing everyone who thought OGS actually would turn things around. So let me turn one of your comments around - are you an opposition fan or hold very stupid ideas, because anyone who still doesn't support Ole has to be one of the two now.

And the scary part is - this was just from 3 out of 10 pages - so I wonder how much more stupidity you actually spread in this thread.

Astoundingly stupid logic.
Haha deluded as hell. We’re unbelievably boring
What kind of stupid question is that. Of course not.
No big club in world football would put up with this shite & awful manager.
Jeez you lot are pathetic & can’t take criticism of Ole
Very odd. You think you’re a better fan or something for supporting a woeful, boring & underachieving manager?. Now that’s pathetic & cowardly
You must either be an opposition fan or hold very stupid ideas. As anyone who still supports Ole has to be one of the two now
You lot who support Ole deserve this shite we’re in to be honest

Matriac

We had some poor games even after october, but then again all teams do - even Liverpool had a few. But starting with the Liverpool-game in mid-october our results have been 25 wins 9 Draws and and 7 defeats. (and one of the defeats were Astana when we played a bunch of kids).

So of course we should judge a manager over a whole season, but I believe even you accept that matches over the last 6 months are more important than matches played in september and october when we had Pogba and Martial injured, when we didnt have Fernandes, when Greenwood hadn't broken into the team and when we had to play with Andreas, Lingard and Mata regularly.

Oh btw - below are some of your comments in october/november when you were at your arrogant best, ridiculing everyone who thought OGS actually would turn things around. So let me turn one of your comments around - are you an opposition fan or hold very stupid ideas, because anyone who still doesn't support Ole has to be one of the two now.

And the scary part is - this was just from 3 out of 10 pages - so I wonder how much more stupidity you actually spread in this thread.

Very odd. You think you’re a better fan or something for supporting a woeful, boring & underachieving manager?. Now that’s pathetic & cowardly
You must either be an opposition fan or hold very stupid ideas. As anyone who still supports Ole has to be one of the two now
I'l be honest I was skimming your post and quickly jumped to the end to see what your point was. :wenger: Then didn't really understand as I've always seen you as a levelheaded person, Lysglimt.

Just advice you on future posts to make it clearer when you are quoting someone. If I didn't know your name from before I'd think you were raving mad for posting such opinions about Ole now. :)

Rafaeldagold

Why is it arrogant or stupid to state facts? We were terrible at the time with awful performances & results? Are you disputing that?

Yes it’s obviously much better at this moment (Bournemouth game withstanding as we didn’t look structured or well managed then) & now I’ve said it could be a reasonable choice to keep or replace him.

Are you saying people aren’t allowed to have opinions or change minds throughout a managers tenure? That sounds to me like you’re Ole in & always will be despite the performances/results

LoneStar

I have changed my mind, for most of the season we were terrible. But the addition of Bruno and Pogba returning back has completely changed the dynamic of this team.

The last couple of matches where we have been playing free flowing football is easily the best football I have seen in the last couple of years. The spirit in the dressing room seems great, lot of young players being given chances.

And definitely agree on the fitness aspect a lot of posters have pointed out. Especially after the break, we have looked more fitter and been generally more energetic than the opposition. Wonderful stuff.

He still has things he needs to improve on. But it’s looking very promising and this is the most optimistic I have been in a while.

Matriac

Why is it arrogant or stupid to state facts? We were terrible at the time with awful performances & results? Are you disputing that?

Yes it’s obviously much better at this moment (Bournemouth game withstanding as we didn’t look structured or well managed then) & now I’ve said it could be a reasonable choice to keep or replace him.

Are you saying people aren’t allowed to have opinions or change minds throughout a managers tenure? That sounds to me like you’re Ole in & always will be despite the performances/results
There's a difference between being "Ole-in always" and being pro-manager because you see progress happening and have faith even if the results aren't directly showing it. Life isn't binary.

The comments from the past that @lysglimt brought forward was not just someone who didn't believe in the manager, they went overboard to try and humiliate anyone who would support the manager because they fully believed that he would never come good and they would mock any fan that thought things were heading in the right direction (despite results at the time).

Rafaeldagold

There's a difference between being "Ole-in always" and being pro-manager because you see progress happening and have faith even if the results aren't directly showing it. Life isn't binary.

The comments from the past that @lysglimt brought forward was not just someone who didn't believe in the manager, they went overboard to try and humiliate anyone who would support the manager because they fully believed that he would never come good and they would mock any fan that thought things were heading in the right direction (despite results at the time).
He was awful at that time, as performances & results testified. I still don’t think he’s the best manager we can have, but we’ll see with time how successful he is.

There’s no way you could’ve seen things going in the right direction from those performances- that’s just someone who’s Ole in & always will be. If you’re not going to criticise him then , then when will you??

Since the introduction of Bruno it’s changed completely.

Matriac

He was awful at that time, as performances & results testified. I still don’t think he’s the best manager we can have, but we’ll see with time how successful he is.

There’s no way you could’ve seen things going in the right direction from those performances- that’s just someone who’s Ole in & always will be. If you’re not going to criticise him then , then when will you??

Since the introduction of Bruno it’s changed completely.
That's your opinion, but I always had faith he would prove people wrong as long as he got more time. I always liked his general approach to man management and how he spoke to the media.

I've always seen him as a sly devil and not the "happy PE teacher" some people called him.

Results had to improve for sure, but also look at the players available to him at the time.

Then also look at the results now and see how his faith in certain players have paid off..we finally have double 20 goal scorers again, and our results are reminiscent of Fergie days. Progress takes time. I had faith.

Roboc7

Ole now has a second chance, he was heading for the sack and now has to build on what we have seen in last 3 league games. As recently as the Spurs game we weren’t playing in this manner, going a goal down and having to bring on matic, Pogba and Greenwood was a blessing in disguise.

What we’ve seen recently is very encouraging, it has to continue until end of the season and beyond and there won’t be a debate about his job. Next season there will be a lot more expectation but a good transfer window and we should be much better.

ReddBalls

He was awful at that time, as performances & results testified.
He obviously wasn't. The second, successful part of the season would not have been possible if he did an awful job in the first part of it. The explanation for the results was fairly obvious then and even more obvious now: Personnel and tethering issues.

Icemav

It would be easy to jettison Ole for a more experienced or more touted name. Overall we could say for Ole its been very mixed but good for the club. However looking at the now things are going very well, results excellent, attacking football looking great, possession football looking much better, exciting football is back, youth development outstanding, recruitment looking very good, players looking happy.

Mou quite frankly left us in the toilet and Ole has us pointing in a very positive direction and you get the feeling that a solid foundation is being laid. Lots of work and smart recruitment ahead but brick by brick we are getting there. I wouldn't personally disrupt that for now and if we are serious about changing we need to be lining up the next Klopp and looking to bring him in within the next 24 months. Only then would I risk a change. People speak very highly of Nagelsmann.... he is the flavor of the month but seems to have amazing gifts, might be someone to keep a very close eye on and develop a relationship. But these are discussions way above my station and level of knowledge. Whoever comes in needs to fit what we have and have a clear vision moving forwards that aligns with the dna of the club. I don't mind change but there has to be a compelling reason for it and also a good rationale that what we are changing to offers a clear improvement in all aspects (not just a short term performance spike).

Rafaeldagold

He obviously wasn't. The second, successful part of the season would not have been possible if he did an awful job in the first part of it. The explanation for the results was fairly obvious then and even more obvious now: Personnel and tethering issues.
It was dire football, results & performances.

Well the explanation for the turnaround could be what you mentioned, or the fact Bruno has come in and has been phenomenal, raising the performances of everyone around him.

Status
Not open for further replies.