Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rotherham_red

Forward to 3 minutes in: Ole said that in the last couple of weeks he took some time to read the media coverage on him from the start of the season to now, and he found that the average predicted league position for us was 6th.

A nice little feck you to twats, my manager!

jamesjimmybyrondean

Still think it is good to have a thread that discuss Oles future with us. He is not getting sacked for sure, but we can discuss if there are better options.
Just like we do with players.
Any discussion about if there are better options than Ole would lead to a mass attack on the poster

MphoG

It would be extremely harsh to get rid of him now, he deserves all the credit for achieving one of his mandates in achieving a top 4 finish, especially considering where we were at halfway through the season.

I’m still not convinced with him tactically in the long run, I think if we are looking to challenge for top honors, he’s not the guy. I think he’s still got a place in the club (director of football) as his signings, although they were over priced, they did improve the team and his ability to spot talent and promote the youngsters is very good. He loves the club, understands the culture and philosophy, has a very good understanding of what needs to be done to get United back to being a top club again. I’m not convinced he’s got the ability to get us there unfortunately, every time we are under any sort of pressure we look uncomfortable and unconvincing and to me it’s all on the manager.

It may not be a popular opinion but I’m still not convinced of him at the helm if we want to challenge for titles, the Europa League is going to be important to see how he handles the pressure, he’s failed mostly when the pressure is on.

Sentient Meat

My vote has remained Ole out... not because I want him out right now... ( he's earned any benefit of the doubt for now by achieving Champions League) but because I'm still not convinced he's a brilliant coach and I can't be arsed to change it.

Everything changed when Bruno joined the team... I've always had faith in the young strikers... so their performance is what I expected.
I attribute the success to finally playing midfielders who could provide them with service.
If we didn't have Fernandes, would things have changed? I think it would have been pretty poor.

I do give him credit for playing Greenwood over Lingard though
I also give him credit for improving the overall morale of the team.

If Ole was the main driving force behind the identification and selection of Bruno... then that would be a huge point in his favor.
If Ole is able to keep Pogba... that would be another big one.
If he is able to retool the defense (cut losses on Maguire and teach Wan-Bissaka how to play the ball a little more effectively) that might be another one.

I'm very happy with the season and if I can see continued growth, then I will reevaluate accordingly.

But in the same way I wouldn't call Frank Vogel a genius coach for winning with LeBron James and Anthony Davis... I can't really be convinced about Ole until I see him coach his way to true contention for Premier League title or a Champions League victory

66 points seems like underperforming for this team. I think they are better than that.

But Ole seems like a bright guy... so maybe he will find his way.

For now he's earned his right to operate without an axe hanging over his head. I hope he can take us to the next level.

Paul_Scholes18

Any discussion about if there are better options than Ole would lead to a mass attack on the poster
Yes it is tricky to know. We can discard Moyes and Mourinho for sure if anyone suggested them.
Rodgers and Pochettino are interesting, but got fired from big clubs. Feel like top 4 managers rather than title one.
Then we have more defensive manager in Allegri and Simeone
More attacking in Ten Haag,Nagelsmann.
Then big team failures in Valverde,Emery and Kovac that still won some titles.
Then the impossible ones like Klopp, Pep,Zidane and maybe Tuchel/Conte .

I think Ole can probably do a long term better building job than many of these managers.
Although to coach the side short term he is probably behind most of them.

Last edited:

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
:lol: I’m here man. Just taking in all these silly ban members who wanted a better manager post.

But glad we got over the line. Couldn’t bare another Europa league campaign.

But we all know I’ll be back in here next season.
Feck your agenda posting and God bless you :)

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Definitely keep, given the business which we did last summer, not many on here expected CL football next season. He has delivered on that and now deserves to continue rebuilding and reshaping this team to his liking and take the next step which would be to consolidate this league position and push City and Liverpool closer next year.

Tactically, I remain un-convinced if he is the man to deliver us big prizes which we ultimately want but that's another season or two away. For me, he has to show continuous improvement into next season which should reflect in points tally, goals scored, goals conceded and another CL qualification.

M Bison

Supports
York City
My vote has remained Ole out... not because I want him out right now... ( he's earned any benefit of the doubt for now by achieving Champions League) but because I'm still not convinced he's a brilliant coach and I can't be arsed to change it.

Everything changed when Bruno joined the team... I've always had faith in the young strikers... so their performance is what I expected.
I attribute the success to finally playing midfielders who could provide them with service.
If we didn't have Fernandes, would things have changed? I think it would have been pretty poor.

I do give him credit for playing Greenwood over Lingard though
I also give him credit for improving the overall morale of the team.

If Ole was the main driving force behind the identification and selection of Bruno... then that would be a huge point in his favor.
If Ole is able to keep Pogba... that would be another big one.
If he is able to retool the defense (cut losses on Maguire and teach Wan-Bissaka how to play the ball a little more effectively) that might be another one.

I'm very happy with the season and if I can see continued growth, then I will reevaluate accordingly.

But in the same way I wouldn't call Frank Vogel a genius coach for winning with LeBron James and Anthony Davis... I can't really be convinced about Ole until I see him coach his way to true contention for Premier League title or a Champions League victory

66 points seems like underperforming for this team. I think they are better than that.

But Ole seems like a bright guy... so maybe he will find his way.

For now he's earned his right to operate without an axe hanging over his head. I hope he can take us to the next level.
So just to be clear, have you changed your vote to "keep Ole"?

Water Melon

He is being praised for not only for finishing third but for qualifying for the CL.
He is going to be praised more if we win the EL.
It doesn't change some people's minds that he is good enough to win the PL or CL.
The proof is in the pudding.
I really don't understand why some of the Ole fans think that some United fans want him out just because his name is Ole Gunnar Solskjaer?
In my opinion they don't want him because they think he is not good enough to win the PL and CL.
They have a right to express their views. Others think he is good enough. They have a right to express their views. None of the parties are correct yet. He may win or he may not win.
What I am sure is that all United fans are happy that we are in the CL and may we continue our march forward and win trophies.
Hit the nail on the head there.

Chicharo

14 points, that is how far we were behind Leicester in January and still managed finish 3rd.
Back the man up with few signings in vital positions he deserved it

Lee565

I am in but I do also think his summer transfer business was not very good.

FatherWolff

:lol: I’m here man. Just taking in all these silly ban members who wanted a better manager post.

But glad we got over the line. Couldn’t bare another Europa league campaign.

But we all know I’ll be back in here next season.
Thankfully we have Ole, and not Tuchel doing to us what Emery did to Arsenal.

we are building something, and people need to realise it is not an on/off switch. Culture and better players. And less moaning fans is a big step in the right direction. Like I said to you several times. Positive energy

Sentient Meat

So just to be clear, have you changed your vote to "keep Ole"?
No. And I just explained why.
But my mind is open if we continue the upward arc next season.

It kind of renders polls pointless if people change back and forth depending on the trend of the season.

I've gone from hopeless to more optimistic about his chances of success. So if you make a poll asking me that... that's what I'd say.

Matriac

No. And I just explained why.
But my mind is open if we continue the upward arc next season.

It kind of renders polls pointless if people change back and forth depending on the trend of the season.

I've gone from hopeless to more optimistic about his chances of success. So if you make a poll asking me that... that's what I'd say.

I think the question a lot of the posters have is if you have changed your vote in regards to if you would want him to be sacked right now. Not if you support him to be our manager for many seasons ahead. You ended your post saying he's now earned the right to operate without an axe over his head. That is essentially saying he's earned the right to not be sacked right now.

I know the other poll option says back to finish a rebuild. That could probably be worded differently, as most who have voted this option means he's proved the right to get backing during the summer for transfers and at least half a season more unless we totally implode by Christmas. That we should now all be backing the manager and not be calling for his sacking even if we get a loss in the first few games of the next season.

Aresma7

Still very much on the fence to be honest. For now I'll keep the sack vote, since I think there are significantly more competent managers out there. It would be great if he could make it work though, and there are encouraging signs in some ways.

Just praying for Champions League tomorrow. Feels like the clubs trajectory is on a knifes edge.
So sack something thats perling just because YOU think he is less compent. Are you competent to know WHOs competent?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Some absolutely clueless people in here as usual and as for the reason why people are shouting your opinions down, you simply can't reason with stupid.

14 points, that is how far we were behind Leicester in January and still managed finish 3rd.
That had more to do with Leicester picking up a miserable 24 points in 22 games :lol:

But yeah, since mid-December we’ve been much improved and have ended the PL on a high. I’d imagine we’re an attractive proposition again for some excellent players, let’s see where next season takes us.

Sentient Meat

I think the question a lot of the posters have is if you have changed your vote in regards to if you would want him to be sacked right now. Not if you support him to be our manager for many seasons ahead. You ended your post saying he's now earned the right to operate without an axe over his head. That is essentially saying he's earned the right to not be sacked right now.

I know the other poll option says back to finish a rebuild. That could probably be worded differently, as most who have voted this option means he's proved the right to get backing during the summer for transfers and at least half a season more unless we totally implode by Christmas. That we should now all be backing the manager and not be calling for his sacking even if we get a loss in the first few games of the next season.
One person posted, (and he/she might be right) that no quality posters wanted Ole out.

I think that's partly behind my reason... as well as what I just said that I think polls are almost meaningless if you can go back and forth. Not that you shouldn't be able to change your mind... but most will just follow the crowd as the season progresses so what's the point of calling people out.

For me it's more nuanced than that. I hate Twitter cancel culture that forces you into conformity with the majority or you are treated like a pariah... even though as a liberal, I usually fall into agreement with the majority. I respect all opinions as long as one is not trolling.

I felt like the team was adrift until we signed Bruno... and without both Bruno and Paul, I don't think we can compete for the title next season.

I get that all top teams have players like that... but it was horrible to watch the games every week until he came.

For me, Ole would need to adapt to something like losing Bruno to injury for me to want to change my vote. Didn't Pep still win when they lost DeBruyne?

As I said, I now have hope for better from him, but I'm still not quite convinced.

Do I have confidence that the team would be able to overcome the loss of Bruno to injury, and/or Pogba if he decides to leave? Not really.

Bojan11

That had more to do with Leicester picking up a miserable 24 points in 22 games :lol:

But yeah, since mid-December we’ve been much improved and have ended the PL on a high. I’d imagine we’re an attractive proposition again for some excellent players, let’s see where next season takes us.
To be fair Leicester over achieved early on in the season. Think they won 8 on the bounce. When the big tests came against Pool and City they got thrashed and never recovered. Leicester were always going to have a drop off. Nobody expected it to be that big, but we still had a lot to do to take advantage.

Like I said previously now that champions league has been secured he deserves another year to improve us.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I tried telling a lot of posters on here after the Burnley low point that Ole was going nowhere and that they would end up looking silly.

We have the right man in charge and rather than hand wringing over who might be better, I'd suggest just enjoying what we have.

Ole will get 2-3 more in now and maybe even 4 if certain squad players can be moved on. If they are quality signings of the Bruno level, United will be a strong side next season.

Tyrion

I certainly did not suggest that :lol: . You stated that Oles “qualifications” for the job weren’t enough and that we should have looked at someone with a mighty CV like Poch. I pointed out that Ole has won more trophies than Poch.

Anyway I’m not going to bother with you, since you seem to miss the point quite a bit.
So you pointed out that Ole has won more trophies than Poch but you weren't using it as evidence that Ole may be a better choice than Poch? Why bother saying it then when we were comparing them?

That is what you were implying, it just didn't make any sense and I explained why it's silly so don't pretend that's not what you meant just because you realised it's daft.

Tyrion

Some strange cult behaviour on here.
Apparently everyone who isn't convinced by Ole secretly wants the club to lose and their negative energy is costing us points. We must always remain positive about everything at the club or we will play worse.

lysglimt

Scout
What the feck is wrong with you people. We're all United fans here and want the best for the club.

The fact some disagree with you on what's best for the club does NOT mean they're haters. Childish logic and arguments.
There are some people in here - not many but 15-20 posters whose comments have been so bad towards OGS that it's hard to say that they want the best for the club. OGS was clueless, a moron, the worst manager in the league and God knows what. Then there are those who criticize OGS for not being good enough and explaining (with some intelligence) why they feel this way - I have no problems with these guys even if I dont agree with them.

Luckily the worst of the worst got banned today - but there are at least 5-10 more who were almost equally bad. These guys either arent United-fans, or it's really important to them that United do poorly so they can prove a point.

Greck

Thread has taken a turn for the worse with some truly childish behaviour. Many people who don't think he's right didn't start rooting for us to lose matches, yet some are treating it like they've won an opinion battle.

I'd still take an upgrade in the summer, if that opinion offends then you're doing this internet forum thing wrong. You'll never get a 100% of people to agree with you on anything

Devil81

Like I said, first test done, second is first silverwear.

There are a lot of fans who are gonna eat their words, he's building something. It might take another couple of windows but it's time to stop doubting him and start believing he's doing things correctly and we are on the right track.

I'd say he needs to be looking at silverwear next season if he doesn't win Europa league next month, to me minimum next season is Champions league without worry and a domestic trophy.

Eddy_JukeZ

Credit where it's due.

We needed a result today and we got it.

I hope we can push on next season if good signings are made.

Chairman Steve

I am cautiously optimistic about the future under him. I saw Bruno being bought as his last chance in my eyes and if we still ended up 6th or worse then Pochettino was going to be the man.

Since the season restart, it feels like we’ve found our second wind, sprinted the last quarter of a marathon and just about got over the line. He really does not seem to rate his bench that much if he’s making changes fairly late in some games or doesn’t rotate that much, especially Fred and McTominay who have proven to be decent players in the absence of Pogba and before Bruno came.

I hope he’ll start making more use of the squad more for next season and that this ’same XI every game’ approach is just a temporary measure for the extraordinary circumstance of COVID-19 and the fact Chelsea and Leicester dropped off that much. Even if that first XI is pretty good there are going to be days where they’re stifled, some of those players have a dip in form, some of them get injured or luck just goes out the window on game day, meaning a fit and raring sub can deliver the goods.

At this current moment, I‘d like to think the majority Utd fan opinion is the same as mine which is cautiously optimistic. I’m happy with the turnaround in form since Bruno came in, and happy we have secured Champions League football meaning our preferred targets are more willing to come to us. We need to strike while the iron is hot and get the players we want in. It’ll be an easier sell to them when you’ve got a youthful team on the up, rather than a team full of overpaid marquee players who are either on the brink of being over the hill or just there because Utd offered stupidly high wages at the time. I was against Dybala being signed since he gave off the vibes of that latter type of player.

Matriac

Thread has taken a turn for the worse with some truly childish behaviour. Many people who don't think he's right didn't start rooting for us to lose matches, yet some are treating it like they've won an opinion battle.
But many did just that. Hoping we wouldn't get a result during Christmas because that would "only delay the inevitable". And was nowhere to be seen in these threads while we were winning. Popped right up after a loss. Then we didn't lose in forever so they popped up after a draw where the thread would grow 10 pages in a few hours.

Greck

But many did just that. Hoping we wouldn't get a result during Christmas because that would "only delay the inevitable". And was nowhere to be seen in these threads while we were winning. Popped right up after a loss. Then we didn't lose in forever so they popped up after a draw where the thread would grow 10 pages in a few hours.
Yes saw those lot who seemed a bit too happy at our missing out on top 4 and can't imagine everyone who didnt and still don't believe in Ole was rooting for us to fail. Was referring to that guy who screenshotted the dissenting opinions in the poll like today was meant to make them/us feel bad. Believe it or not, not everyone is still high on him, not everyone of them wanted us to miss top 4 and not everyone sees today as the turning point to switch sides. Some people take momentum shifts in threads too serious when in reality it's often the same 6-12 guys arguing

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.