Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vidic blood & sand

Still Ole in. The large gap between us and Liverpool needs closing, and we need to see some evidence of this next season.
However, very nervous about another manager coming in next year and destroying the improvements we've see under Ole. So any potential replacement for Ole next season would have to be screened like it was a matter of life and death.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
When you say ' Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild', does that include going for trophies, or is it just limited to refreshing and reshaping the squad?
I think its the former, but as long as we are showing tangible progress in both results and fotball id imagine most people would be happy.

Exactly when the rebuild is done is hard if not impossible to say with certianty. We are still a level below Pool and City, so we need this window to be good, and probably the next one as well

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Is this thread still going? Finished third - surely he deserves another season to continue the progress? Yeah, there’s lessons to be learned (just like at most other clubs/managers). So let’s hope we learn from it as we continue progressing. Onwards and upwards.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
When you say ' Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild', does that include going for trophies, or is it just limited to refreshing and reshaping the squad?
It includes refreshing and reshaping the squad in perpetuity until the day comes when the team reaches the footballing equivalent of entropy.

Mainoldo

Nice to see this thread still hasn’t died! The regulars aren’t even contributing anymore either.

But just giving my 2 pence worth. He’s done well but he’s still winging it. Ole doesn’t have a clear idea of where he’s going with this. Let’s just keep hope he gets it right.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Nice to see this thread still hasn’t died! The regulars aren’t even contributing anymore either.

But just giving my 2 pence worth. He’s done well but he’s still winging it. Ole doesn’t have a clear idea of where he’s going with this. Let’s just keep hope he gets it right.
Out of curiosity: What makes you think he's winging it? What is it that you are disagreeing with?

georgipep

Do you expect a manifesto to be published with his signature? I, for one, clearly see where he is going with it. The tactics are very visible and, dare I say, successful so far and it has been a building process the whole season. Considering the circumstances and the inherited squad, in my opinion we are doing very well at the moment.

Mainoldo

Out of curiosity: What makes you think he's winging it? What is it that you are disagreeing with?
Since Spurs when he needed a group huddle between him and his coaching staff to decide how to changed the half back in our favour after Spurs dropped Eriksen deeper.

Since then he’s pretty much just continued to do weird things.
  • Changed the formation from 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1. Granted he said if he didn’t get a midfielder in the summer he had formations to adapt. I take it that was it.
  • He then brought Bruno who is really an 8 but kept the formation the same even when Pogba returned. Granted it was working but I hardly think he’s going to change back does anyone else?
  • Can’t make in game changes to positive effect. He pretty much didn’t use his squad all lock down. We went from maybe Pogba will have to fight his way back into the team to his unstoppable?
  • James was overused then totally underused.. I’m sure subs are allowed to get more than 5-10 mins sub appearance.
  • He need a striker. Did he? We haven’t used Ighalo to any effect really. The only time he used him effectively was against City when he came on to relieve pressure. This has then never been used once since lockdown.
  • Transfers. All good relatively speaking. But what was the plan? Just buy good players? Maguire and Lindelöf are basically the same player. AWB can’t attack even though we are supposed to be playing attacking football. Bruno again he’s an 8 playing a 10. I don’t think that’s what we was thinking when we let Herrera go. Or are we still looking to replace Herrera? James, not very good. But at the same time overused. So if you was going to use your gamble signing a lot maybe get someone like Saint Maximum for the same money.
  • Playing style. We pretty much play the same football Mourinho played except Ole talks positive and he’s wingers aren’t told to be full backs. But put us against a gold side. Like Jose we will sit back and soak up all the pressure.

All that said we got top 3 and hopefully we should have a good transfer window. I just hope people are actually mindful of what’s going on.

gajender

Since Spurs when he needed a group huddle between him and his coaching staff to decide how to changed the half back in our favour after Spurs dropped Eriksen deeper.

• Changed the formation from 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1. Granted he said if he didn’t get a midfielder in the summer he had formations to adapt. I take it that was it.
  • He then brought Bruno who is really an 8 but kept the formation the same even when Pogba returned. Granted it was working but I hardly think he’s going to change back does anyone else?
  • Can’t make in game changes to positive effect. He pretty much didn’t use his squad all lock down. We went from maybe Pogba will have to fight his way back into the team to his unstoppable?
  • James was overused then totally underused.. I’m sure subs are allowed to get more than 5-10 mins sub appearance.
  • He need a striker. Did he? We haven’t used Ighalo to any effect really. The only time he used him effectively was against City when he came on to relieve pressure. This has then never been used once since lockdown.
  • Transfers. All good relatively speaking. But what was the plan? Just buy good players? Maguire and Lindelöf are basically the same player. AWB can’t attack even though we are supposed to be playing attacking football. Bruno again he’s an 8 playing a 10. I don’t think that’s what we was thinking when we let Herrera go. Or are we still looking to replace Herrera? James, not very good. But at the same time overused. So if you was going to use your gamble signing a lot maybe get someone like Saint Maximum for the same money.
  • Playing style. We pretty much play the same football Mourinho played except Ole talks positive and he’s wingers aren’t told to be full backs. But put us against a gold side. Like Jose we will sit back and soak up all the pressure.

All that said we got top 3 and hopefully we should have a good transfer window. I just hope people are actually mindful of what’s going on.
Every Portuguese poster who has seen Fernandes play regularly has said he is No 10 not a No 8 at stretch he can play there ,but Mainoldo knows better because he likes making things up.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.

:lol:

Mainoldo

Every Portuguese poster who has seen Fernandes play regularly has said he is No 10 not a No 8 at stretch he can play there ,but Mainoldo knows better because he likes making things up.
His previous coach says he’s an 8. But the Portuguese guy you know says he’s a 10. But Mainoldo just makes things up. Go get his line up positions for Portugal and Sporting for the last 18 months then smart guy.

Withnail

Bruno again he’s an 8 playing a 10.

Playing style. We pretty much play the same football Mourinho played except Ole talks positive and he’s wingers aren’t told to be full backs. But put us against a gold side. Like Jose we will sit back and soak up all the pressure.
There's so much wrong with your post but these two stood out.

You're going to claim he's playing Bruno out of position at 10 and paint this as a bad thing?

8 goals and 7 assists in 14 PL games would suggest that this was in fact a genius move.

As for the playing style argument I don't even know where to start it's just absolute nonsense. He played counter-attacking against the better teams but it was nothing like Mourinho-ball.

Mainoldo

There's so much wrong with your post but these two stood out.

You're going to claim he's playing Bruno out of position at 10 and paint this as a bad thing?

8 goals and 7 assists in 14 PL games would suggest that this was in fact a genius move.

As for the playing style argument I don't even know where to start it's just absolute nonsense. He played counter-attacking against the better teams but it was nothing like Mourinho-ball.
It’s nothing like Mourinho ball because we like him. The principal is still the same, let the opposition have the ball.

Bruno’s doing alright there but for the team he’s better off playing number 8 with Pogba. The football would also improve.

gajender

His previous coach says he’s an 8. But the Portuguese guy you know says he’s a 10. But Mainoldo just makes things up. Go get his line up positions for Portugal and Sporting for the last 18 months then smart guy.
Please go ahead and do that and maybe then you would talk some sense but it's highly doubtful.

AshRK

It’s nothing like Mourinho ball because we like him. The principal is still the same, let the opposition have the ball.

Bruno’s doing alright there but for the team he’s better off playing number 8 with Pogba. The football would also improve.
You just love to make a fool out of yourself but you get easily caught doing that. Ok let us prove your another lie wrong.
Since the restart

Manchester United vs Leicester City had 55% of the ball
Manchester United vs West Ham had 57% of the ball
Manchester United vs Chelsea FA cup had 51%of the ball
Manchester United vs Palace had 60% of the ball
Manchester United vs Soton had 47% of the ball
Manchester United vs Villa had 67% of the ball
Manchester United vs. Bournemouth had 69% of the ball
Manchester United vs Brighton had 62% of the ball
Manchester United vs Norwich had 67% of the ball
Manchester United vs Sheffield had 68% of the ball
Manchester United vs Spurs had 62% of the ball.

Apart from Southampton game we have dominated the possession and have only scored one counterattacking goal that was against brighton which by the way was one of the best goals. We have dominated ball possession even against Jose's spurs at their stadium, against chelsea and also against Leicester at their home. This whole idea that ole plays counterattacking football is just a lazy assumption. The football we have been mostly playing is nothing like Jose's reign which was BORING.

georgipep

So, your argument is that he shouldn't consult his team? What's the point in having one? Is Pep also winging it for constantly discussing with his assistants during matches?
Changed the formation from 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1. Granted he said if he didn’t get a midfielder in the summer he had formations to adapt. I take it that was it.
We only used 4-3-3 to ensure stability in midfield for a limited period of time. He played 4-2-3-1 in Molde too. The fact that we are after a midfielder doesn't change that at all. It's called improving on what you already have.
He then brought Bruno who is really an 8 but kept the formation the same even when Pogba returned. Granted it was working but I hardly think he’s going to change back does anyone else?
Bruno is a very good player, able to play as an 8, as well as a 10. We have a very good 8 in Pogba and thus are utilizing him (to an astonishing effect, I must add) as a 10. And you have a problem with that?
Can’t make in game changes to positive effect. He pretty much didn’t use his squad all lock down. We went from maybe Pogba will have to fight his way back into the team to his unstoppable?
Are you for real? Pogba came in as a sub (and changed the game completely) against Spurs, performed well and then became a starter. Would you rather keep him on the bench longer, regardless if he plays well? And if so, why?
James was overused then totally underused.. I’m sure subs are allowed to get more than 5-10 mins sub appearance.
James was overused because the alternatives were worse. Then he was underused because the new alternative (Greenwood) in the new setup (Bruno, Pogba, Martial and Rashford) worked better. That's called being a good manager. When you adapt to make the team stronger and win more games.
He need a striker. Did he? We haven’t used Ighalo to any effect really. The only time he used him effectively was against City when he came on to relieve pressure. This has then never been used once since lockdown.
Ighalo played when we needed him to (when Rashford was injured). Since the restart Martial and Rashford have both been in very good and productive form. Why change that? The games we had to play were extremely important and our system depended on the quick interplay between the front 4. Making changes just for the sake of it wouldn't have helped.
Transfers. All good relatively speaking. But what was the plan? Just buy good players? Maguire and Lindelöf are basically the same player. AWB can’t attack even though we are supposed to be playing attacking football. Bruno again he’s an 8 playing a 10. I don’t think that’s what we was thinking when we let Herrera go. Or are we still looking to replace Herrera? James, not very good. But at the same time overused. So if you was going to use your gamble signing a lot maybe get someone like Saint Maximum for the same money.
Just buy good players? Instead buy worse players? Is that the plan? AWB has been on an upward trajectory all season, taking almost full control of our right wing in defense and contributing a lot in attack as well. He will never have TAA numbers, that's for sure, but he doesn't need to because we play in a different system, with two main creators in the middle and 4 goal threats up front. Not relying on our fullbacks to do that.

Herrera went to PSG because A) He was approached too late, B) Asked for quite a lot of money, C) Asked for a long contract, and probably some other reasons we would never find out about.

James has been quite good for the money we spent on him and considering he is quite young. He has always been a development project and not the final product. He played so much in the first half of the season because the others (Mata, Lingard and Pereira) were worse than him. I'm certain the expectation before the season started was for them + Chong to play better and thus more.
Playing style. We pretty much play the same football Mourinho played except Ole talks positive and he’s wingers aren’t told to be full backs. But put us against a gold side. Like Jose we will sit back and soak up all the pressure.
If you are honestly saying that we play the same football as under Mourinho, I think your bias and prejudice have put you in a place where we would never find common ground. Every person who watched us play this season would tell you we are incredibly different, miles from where we were under Mourinho. The fact that we hit the better teams on the counter is something that SAF did as well. Were we playing the same football back then as under Mourinho?

Withnail

You actually think that's all that goes into modern football tactics at the highest level?

'Let the other team have the ball lads'

Ffs :lol:

RedPed

Whatabouter.

Just out of curiosity, how do you rate the jobs that Lampard and Arteta are doing and how do you stack Solskjaer against those two?

Mainoldo

Just out of curiosity, how do you rate the jobs that Lampard and Arteta are doing and how do you stack Solskjaer against those two?
Good jobs so far with the lack of resources. Chelsea can spend know so let’s see what happens and Arteta will depend on what they can provide him.

Mainoldo

So, your argument is that he shouldn't consult his team? What's the point in having one? Is Pep also winging it for constantly discussing with his assistants during matches?

We only used 4-3-3 to ensure stability in midfield for a limited period of time. He played 4-2-3-1 in Molde too. The fact that we are after a midfielder doesn't change that at all. It's called improving on what you already have.

Bruno is a very good player, able to play as an 8, as well as a 10. We have a very good 8 in Pogba and thus are utilizing him (to an astonishing effect, I must add) as a 10. And you have a problem with that?

Are you for real? Pogba came in as a sub (and changed the game completely) against Spurs, performed well and then became a starter. Would you rather keep him on the bench longer, regardless if he plays well? And if so, why?

James was overused because the alternatives were worse. Then he was underused because the new alternative (Greenwood) in the new setup (Bruno, Pogba, Martial and Rashford) worked better. That's called being a good manager. When you adapt to make the team stronger and win more games.

Ighalo played when we needed him to (when Rashford was injured). Since the restart Martial and Rashford have both been in very good and productive form. Why change that? The games we had to play were extremely important and our system depended on the quick interplay between the front 4. Making changes just for the sake of it wouldn't have helped.

Just buy good players? Instead buy worse players? Is that the plan? AWB has been on an upward trajectory all season, taking almost full control of our right wing in defense and contributing a lot in attack as well. He will never have TAA numbers, that's for sure, but he doesn't need to because we play in a different system, with two main creators in the middle and 4 goal threats up front. Not relying on our fullbacks to do that.

Herrera went to PSG because A) He was approached too late, B) Asked for quite a lot of money, C) Asked for a long contract, and probably some other reasons we would never find out about.

James has been quite good for the money we spent on him and considering he is quite young. He has always been a development project and not the final product. He played so much in the first half of the season because the others (Mata, Lingard and Pereira) were worse than him. I'm certain the expectation before the season started was for them + Chong to play better and thus more.

If you are honestly saying that we play the same football as under Mourinho, I think your bias and prejudice have put you in a place where we would never find common ground. Every person who watched us play this season would tell you we are incredibly different, miles from where we were under Mourinho. The fact that we hit the better teams on the counter is something that SAF did as well. Were we playing the same football back then as under Mourinho?
We had good counter attacking play under Mourinho to. Like I said I don’t get what’s so different? We just need to love Ole for some reason, so we do a lot of spinning. Maybe it’s you that is prejudice instead of the other way round.

Fair points but you pretty much didn’t answer any of the key points I was addressing. But one point that did stand out. You said Pogba is an 8 and said we at utilitising him in an 8? How are we doing that playing 4-2-3-1? He seems to be utilised as 6 to me. But I’m sure you can explain and also explain why going back to 4-3-3 doesn’t actually answer your utilising point.

POF

Of all of the things to criticise Ole for? Playing Bruno in the wrong position?! That has got to be a wind up.

georgipep

We had good counter attacking play under Mourinho to. Like I said I don’t get what’s so different? We just need to love Ole for some reason, so we do a lot of spinning. Maybe it’s you that is prejudice instead of the other way round.

Fair points but you pretty much didn’t answer any of the key points I was addressing. But one point that did stand out. You said Pogba is an 8 and said we at utilitising him in an 8? How are we doing that playing 4-2-3-1? He seems to be utilised as 6 to me. But I’m sure you can explain and also explain why going back to 4-3-3 doesn’t actually answer your utilising point.
Do you not watch us play at all? We are not playing counter-attacking football against the majority of opposition. And against the better teams we do, same as SAF and quite different in execution to what Mourinho made us do.

As for Pogba and the #8 position, are you saying one team can't have a #8 in the two MC roles in the 4231? Matić is the #6, Pogba is #8 when we are in possession, most definitely. When we are defending he reverts to a #6 himself. That's called fluid tactics.

georgipep

I just got it. Had a quick look at your post history. You should've said in the beginning you are a Pochettino fan and you want the club to sack Ole to appoint him. I wouldn't have bothered at all to reply to your post.

To add to that, asking for sacking a manager who has achieved results while playing attractive football, is extremely counter productive and obviously biased.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

I still have my doubts if he can win the PL. I have stated my reasons as his game management and his poor set pieces and his tactics of playing out from the back( no goal kick) ALL the time.
With someone like Bruno and Martial, no longer can teams park the bus against us.
Does he need to upgrade on some players? Of course he does. We need at least 3 world class players in CB, DM and I would say another midfield player to rotate Bruno and Pogba if he stays.
But let's give him this window and next season to see if he can do it.
I am not a fan of Poch. Yes he got Spurs to a cl final but he is not a winner. At least not yet.

Web of Bissaka

Another season to see if Ole can bring the club back to the finish lines = champions.

Did fine so far overall up to this level.

If he couldn't lead the squad any further, then doesn't matter, his job is done bringing us this far and we should then consider replacing. Getting a good replacement that can still maintain our attacking, youth and etc philosophy is the tricky part.

^ Maybe the club should start considering/planning/preparing now for that "contingency" plan - scouting and preparing a list of candidates. In the event that Ole cannot lead any further..

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I still have my doubts if he can win the PL. I have stated my reasons as his game management and his poor set pieces and his tactics of playing out from the back( no goal kick) ALL the time.
With someone like Bruno and Martial, no longer can teams park the bus against us.
Does he need to upgrade on some players? Of course he does. We need at least 3 world class players in CB, DM and I would say another midfield player to rotate Bruno and Pogba if he stays.
But let's give him this window and next season to see if he can do it.
I am not a fan of Poch. Yes he got Spurs to a cl final but he is not a winner. At least not yet.
So basically the next manager we get, whoever that may be has to 100% guarantee that he will win us the league? And actually do so in double quick time.

Mainoldo

I just got it. Had a quick look at your post history. You should've said in the beginning you are a Pochettino fan and you want the club to sack Ole to appoint him. I wouldn't have bothered at all to reply to your post.

To add to that, asking for sacking a manager who has achieved results while playing attractive football, is extremely counter productive and obviously biased.
It’s not that serious. I don’t even bother mentioning the man that shall remain nameless anymore. But on your points. You asked if I watched the games.. I don’t actually know what games you are watching where Pogba is playing as an 8. Did he play as an 8 in the World Cup for France?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I actually thought you was asking a genuine question. Knew I should have give a disingenuous answer.
It was a serious question. I was just curious to see whether you was exacting the same level of scrutiny towards them also but obviously it's clear there is an apparent bias towards Solskjaer. If he had finished 8th I doubt whether you would have been so accommodating as you are towards Arteta.

georgipep

It’s not that serious. I don’t even bother mentioning the man that shall remain nameless anymore. But on your points. You asked if I watched the games.. I don’t actually know what games you are watching where Pogba is playing as an 8. Did he play as an 8 in the World Cup for France?
I didn't see all of France games at the World Cup so can't say with any certainty but he definitely didn't play as a pure #6 and, in my opinion, was very close to his new role under Ole, next to a DM (Matić and Kante respectively) being a hybrid #6/#8 role.

But let's say I'm totally wrong about all of this and Pogba is actually a #6 and is played as such. So what? That's misusing him or is Bruno playing as #10 resulting in subpar performance?

Mainoldo

It was a serious question. I was just curious to see whether you was exacting the same level of scrutiny towards them also but obviously it's clear there is an apparent bias towards Solskjaer. If he had finished 8th I doubt whether you would have been so accommodating as you are towards Arteta.
Okay. I don’t actually get your point. Are you trying to tell me if Arsenal give Arteta £150m this window and he finishes the season 8th... there’s no reason for Arsenal to be abit concerned and pee’d off?

lysglimt

Scout
Apart from 1 or 2 games against Arsenal, which other big game did we actually lose in 1999 as you are saying the big game record was poor?
In fairness there werent a lot of big games that season and we didnt lose more than one big game against Arsenal, but we drew a lot of games.

We drew twice with Chelsea, got 1 Point against Arsenal and 4 Points against Leeds

After that West Ham ended 5th over 20 Points behind us - and we din't even get max Points from them either.

In fact we have to go down to 14th Place to find the strongest team we beat home and away - Everton.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Okay. I don’t actually get your point. Are you trying to tell me if Arsenal give Arteta £150m this window and he finishes the season 8th... there’s no reason for Arsenal to be abit concerned and pee’d off?
They've already got Lacazette, Aubameyang and Ozil and they bought Pepe for over £70m as well as other players. When Arteta came in they were 10th and we were in 6th just 3 points ahead of them. They finished the season in 8th whilst we finished 3rd 10 pts ahead of them.

I'm just trying to understand how Solskjaer is winging it while Arteta is doing a good job.

That's my point!

Mainoldo

They've already got Lacazette, Aubameyang and Ozil and they bought Pepe for over £70m as well as other players. When Arteta came in they were 10th and we were in 6th just 3 points ahead of them. They finished the season in 8th whilst we finished 3rd 10 pts ahead of them.

I'm just trying to understand how Solskjaer is winging it while Arteta is doing a good job.

That's my point!
Sounds like your trying to compare things that don’t need to be compared.

Foxbatt

So basically the next manager we get, whoever that may be has to 100% guarantee that he will win us the league? And actually do so in double quick time.
Doesn't say in double quick time. Yes he has to win. There is no point in keeping any manager who is going to get only CL spot every year.
We are not Arsenal in case you are a Manchester United fan.

Foxbatt

In fairness there werent a lot of big games that season and we didnt lose more than one big game against Arsenal, but we drew a lot of games.

We drew twice with Chelsea, got 1 Point against Arsenal and 4 Points against Leeds

After that West Ham ended 5th over 20 Points behind us - and we din't even get max Points from them either.

In fact we have to go down to 14th Place to find the strongest team we beat home and away - Everton.
Our issues are not against the big teams. It's the smaller teams. Can someone do how many points we lost against teams below us? I would say we could be even beating Liverpool or fairly close to them.

Foxbatt

I agree. They would sack him most probably.

jlecesne

I think Frank has probably done the best with Ole not too far behind him. Arteta has inherited such a mess that its too early to judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.