Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OrcaFat

I am not sure if it’s Ole’s fault exactly but we do look short of sharpness. Possibly the late start to preparation will pay dividends later and the slow start is something we’ve accepted.

We were disappointing today but I thought we played some good stuff in spells and this will surely improve. The lack of marking in our box is shocking and Ole needs to get to the bottom of that.

Otherwise, I think Ole is doing a good job building a squad and we’ll look okay in another couple of weeks.

All these posts saying he is rubbish make me laugh. When I see the teams managed by the so-called better coaches, they are either boring as hell or as much a mix of improvised styles as any team put out by Ole.

I get annoyed when we lose or don’t play well. That’s what being a fan is like. And sometimes I blame Ole, but if some posters had their way, we’d have a new manager every month, he would always be some trendy smart arse and within a week he’d be “out of his depth”, “clueless” and the root of all our ills.

L1nk

You didn't think we played well last season after Bruno and Pogba came in to the side?
We played well when Bruno came in, new player, lot of energy... Now look at him, he's had time to bed in, he doesn't look like anything special. There's a perfect piece of writing on why we looked transformed when we came in, because we rely on individual brilliance and Bruno was providing that, now he isn't we look average. We were rescued today by that Rashford solo run and a penalty. We looked garbage, and it's been similar over a lot of Ole's tenure, even if we get wins.

Withnail

Or perhaps Ole in people are just stubborn, with their head in sand and not willing to see that it's been crap most of the times. I bet you did not had the same level of support spreading your "positivity" during LVG and Jose's times when there was mix of shit and good performances. You are just a hypocrite who's just making an exception for Ole bcos he happens to be club legend. And people questioning Ole's performances are all not Ole out either.
If you're not Ole out surely you should be posting in the Ole Performance thread rather than the Ole out thread?

Criticism in here will tend to be taken as confirmation you want the manager sacked unless you say otherwise.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
You realise if Chelsea finish outside the top four this season Lampard will definitely, 100% nailed on be sacked right?

Don't know if Abramovich would sack him before then if things go really dire, but he probably would.
Considering the level of investment Roman has put into the squad this summer, Lampard will undoubtedly get sacked should he fail to secure CL football.

You can't say the same for Ole as his squad hasn't seen anywhere close to that kind of investment. He's been hung out to dry if anything (that could change before the window shuts though). Ole will sill get sacked if he fails to finish top-four though.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
I still want Pochettino ever since the day he got sacked at Spurs. Ole did a fine job, but I feel like he gets tactically outsmarted against any club that we should comfortably beat on paper. A lot of it is on the players, especially the defense, but come on.. Whenever I hear people talk about United's system, I'm immediately thinking "what system?" I can count all the enjoyable games under him as a manager on one hand probably. I think we would even try to play on the counter against an absolutely smashed sunday league team.

I would much rather see Ed and the Glazers dissappear before Ole of course, but we still have a solid group of players that should have no problem beating certain teams in this league. When I see Martial struggle for the entire game, or Rashford for almost an entire season (sure, he scored some goals, but was he playing great football?) it makes me wonder if its these guys fault or if the manager doesn't really get the most out of them. I mean Martial had a great season, but I felt like he always came across as lazy and as a manager it's your job to do something about that in my opinion. And I honestly don't even want to start on his team selections. Way to many times have I seen undeserved starters or players that didnt need to get subbed get subbed anyway. Just to park the bus in the 70th minute against a relegation team. I can fully understand if and why players wouldn't want to come and play for us.

Lee565

You have to ask did ole fail big time in the transfer market by spending 130 million on awb and Maguire or is he awful at organizing the team? Either way it's pretty damning

OrcaFat

Considering the level of investment Roman has put into the squad this summer, Lampard will undoubtedly get sacked should he fail to secure CL football.

You can't say the same for Ole as his squad hasn't seen anywhere close to that kind of investment. He's been hung out to dry if anything (that could change before the window shuts though). Ole will sill get sacked if he fails to finish top-four though.
Yes, rightly so on both.

Withnail

I am not sure if it’s Ole’s fault exactly but we do look short of sharpness. Possibly the late start to preparation will pay dividends later and the slow start is something we’ve accepted.

We were disappointing today but I thought we played some good stuff in spells and this will surely improve. The lack of marking in our box is shocking and Ole needs to get to the bottom of that.

Otherwise, I think Ole is doing a good job building a squad and we’ll look okay in another couple of weeks.

All these posts saying he is rubbish make me laugh. When I see the teams managed by the so-called better coaches, they are either boring as hell or as much a mix of improvised styles as any team put out by Ole.

I get annoyed when we lose or don’t play well. That’s what being a fan is like. And sometimes I blame Ole, but if some posters had their way, we’d have a new manager every month, he would always be some trendy smart arse and within a week he’d be “out of his depth”, “clueless” and the root of all our ills.
I may be wrong but I feel one of the issues is of perception.
If you only see highlights of other teams or when a team is playing against you, you don't really get a good view of the standards of the opposition week in week out. Many teams up their game against the top teams or have a very rigid, simple, park the bus and counter strategy when playing the big teams. They'll then play another mid table side and have to come out and play and come unstuck.

It's easier to look well drilled when your job is to sit back in two banks of four.

mav_9me

I never changed my vote from Ole out. Because I think ultimately we need a better manager. To me that's obvious.

Having said that I would absolutely give Ole a lot of credit for going on that unbeaten run. It is easy to say it was all Bruno. Not so simple. He let Bruno play the way he does, he got Martial to play better, he gradually introduced Greenwood into starting 11. Lot to credit Ole for.

However at the end of the day if we want to get back to contending titles, we need a better coach. However even that wont be enough cuz we need a better set up for recruitment, giving contracts to players, selling players etc. None of that is happening anytime soon. Get used to the last few years.

#glazersoutwoodwardout

VP

Actually no, the clue to the job role is in the title. Coaches coach, managers manage. Ferguson himself said that he took a step back from coaching the team after he hired new coaching staff and they tried to quit after 2 weeks, quoted as saying "I don't know why you hired me, you're doing all the coaching, I'm not needed".
Ferguson stepped back from coaching well into his United career. Either way the manager is responsible how well-coached the team is.

UnsungHero

Monitoring the preparation of the Vidal bid
Ole was never going to be a good enough manager, he's had two good runs with us and that's about it. Before us appointing him he wouldn't even get the job at a League Two side nevermind anything more.

He just puts a team out there and hopes to score on the counter attack, that is literally it.

I have nothing against him personally and he was a good player for us, but it's just embarrassing now.

OrcaFat

I never changed my vote from Ole out. Because I think ultimately we need a better manager. To me that's obvious.

Having said that I would absolutely give Ole a lot of credit for going on that unbeaten run. It is easy to say it was all Bruno. Not so simple. He let Bruno play the way he does, he got Martial to play better, he gradually introduced Greenwood into starting 11. Lot to credit Ole for.

However at the end of the day if we want to get back to contending titles, we need a better coach. However even that wont be enough cuz we need a better set up for recruitment, giving contracts to players, selling players etc. None of that is happening anytime soon. Get used to the last few years.

#glazersoutwoodwardout
I wonder if we would still need a better coach if all this stuff was sorted out.

You have to ask did ole fail big time in the transfer market by spending 130 million on awb and Maguire or is he awful at organizing the team?
If you have to ask: Utd had the 3rd best defensive record last season. 3 goal more conceded than Liverpool, and 1 more than City. (You could argue it was the best defence, give all the blunders by DeGea..)
Season before AWB and Maguire: 31 goals more conceded than City, 32 more than Liverpool.

Christ!!

youngrell

I may be wrong but I feel one of the issues is of perception.
If you only see highlights of other teams or when a team is playing against you, you don't really get a good view of the standards of the opposition week in week out. Many teams up their game against the top teams or have a very rigid, simple, park the bus and counter strategy when playing the big teams. They'll then play another mid table side and have to come out and play and come unstuck.

It's easier to look well drilled when your job is to sit back in two banks of four.
Precisely. When we were playing a counter attacking game, Ole was limited in his coaching but any team that does it against us is well coached/drilled.

It’s a given that we should have higher standards but the hypocrisy is clear.

90 + 5min

Spot on.

I believe lack of sharpness is because of late preparations. We have players that have been training only 2 weeks. I said after Crystal Palace game. It will take couple of weeks to settle down. If we don't lose to many points in next 3-4 game we will be just fine.

OrcaFat

If you have to ask: Utd had the 3rd best defensive record last season. 3 goal more conceded than Liverpool, and 1 more than City. Season before AWB and Maguire: 31 one goals more conceded than City, 32 more than Liverpool.

Christ!!
Yeah, they are both a huge upgrade from what we had. There is a general issue with marking at the moment but possibly this is down to form, confidence, being undercooked, or just lapses.

These guys are both quality though and will tighten up I’m sure.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791

#glazersoutwoodwardout
Agree with this whole heartedly.

We hired a coach that was unable to win the Norwegian league in the 3 seasons of his tenure and this should speak to the pedigree of his coaching attributes or lack there of. Since his move away from them - Molde had won the league title in 2019.

Foxbatt

You realise if Chelsea finish outside the top four this season Lampard will definitely, 100% nailed on be sacked right?

Don't know if Abramovich would sack him before then if things go really dire, but he probably would.
Lampard is going to get sacked if he doesn't get Chelsea into the top 4 by December.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
I Would like to know what exactly we do well Under Ole? And this I mean on the Pitch. Are we Good at the press? good in possession? can we play from the back well? Are we quick in our play? What exactly is united good at under Ole, after 18+ months in charge.
Actually winning games. We have been better at that.

OrcaFat

Spot on.

I believe lack of sharpness is because of late preparations. We have players that have been training only 2 weeks. I said after Crystal Palace game. It will take couple of weeks to settle down. If we don't lose to many points in next 3-4 game we will be just fine.
Yeah! Bit of a bonus to get three points today, truthfully, but I’ll take it. And there was something slightly irrepressible about us, despite the creaky performance.

90 + 5min

Agree with this whole heartedly.

We hired a coach that was unable to win the Norwegian league in the 3 seasons of his tenure and this should speak to the pedigree of his coaching attributes or lack there of. Since his move away from them - Molde had won the league title in 2019.
Get your fact right before you write what he has done in Molde. Sometime people should not write or speak about something they don't know anything about.

We hired a coach that was unable to win the Norwegian league in the 3 seasons of his tenure and this should speak to the pedigree of his coaching attributes or lack there of.
We hired a coach that won the the league for the first time in Moldes 100 years existence, and then did the same the following year. After he returned from Cardiff, Molde had been robbed of many quality players, and he really had to make a restart. 5-2-2 was his league positions after he returned, and he handed over a top quality team to Erling Moe, who took the final step past Rosenborg in 2019, with the squad Ole had build up.

(Yes, I¨m from Molde:)

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Spot on.

I believe lack of sharpness is because of late preparations. We have players that have been training only 2 weeks. I said after Crystal Palace game. It will take couple of weeks to settle down. If we don't lost to many points in next 3-4 game we will be just fine.
While I agree preparations for the season weren't exactly perfect, we can't place the blame for the poor performances entirely a lack of match sharpness. We've played Palace, Luton and Brighton so far who even with their squad values combined still wouldn't come close to the value of the United squad, and we've looked less than convincing in all three games to put it mildly. Truth is, we were largely outplayed by Brighton and Palace.

We've been offering up these lethargic displays for a number of years now. It's practically a running theme at this point, we almost expect to see them. It's more than a little concerning.

OrcaFat

While I agree preparations for the season weren't exactly perfect, we can't place the blame for the poor performances entirely a lack of match sharpness. We've played Palace, Luton and Brighton so far who even with their squad values combined still wouldn't come close to the value of the United squad, and we've looked less than convincing in all three games to put it mildly. Truth is, we were largely outplayed by Brighton and Palace.

We've been offering up this lethargic displays for a number of years now. It's practically a running theme at this point, we almost expect to see them. It's more than a little concerning.
Fair comment. Some of our boys look like they’re running through treacle at times. Either they’re lacking match fitness or they’re knackered with only a brief window of a few games where we look sharp. I suppose if there was a bit more depth in the squad we might be able to sustain a sweet spot for a bit longer. But you are right, the team often looks lethargic - that’s the right word for it.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
We hired a coach that won the the league for the first time in Moldes 100 years existence, and then did the same the following year. After he returned from Cardiff, Molde had been robbed of many quality players, and he really had to make a restart. 5-2-2 was his league positions after he returned, and he handed over a top quality team to Erling Moe, who took the final step past Rosenborg in 2019, with the squad Ole had build up.

I didn't actually know this but i was only speaking about his tenure between 2015 - 2018. I still stand by my claims about him not being good enough or having the right attributes for United.

OrcaFat

I didn't actually know this but i was only speaking about his tenure between 2015 - 2018. I still stand by my claims about him not being good enough or having the right attributes for United.
A period where he rebuilt the squad and set them up to win the following year. Sounds a lot like what he is doing here, but we shall see.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius

Was there a definite system in play when Ole managed there? Just curious.

Foxbatt

When Ole came and took over everyone said he improved the team. He did after the implosion of Jose. Credit to him for getting Bruno and letting him play freely.
Even before that we were very good against sides who attack us. It's when sides sit back that we getting into trouble. We always had the brilliance to score against teams who leave space behind their defense.
We still have brilliant players who can destroy teams.
What we don't have and never had was any system or way of playing as a team. Fans were getting upset with managers for not playing decently game after game.
If this was a top side today everyone will be happy we stole 3 points. I am happy we got 3 points but I am not happy the way we got those 3 points.
The goal we conceded today was the exact carbon copy of the one we conceded against Palace. It was not the first time AWB was found wanting today. The previous times he was lucky that we didn't concede.
We don't play as a team. We play as individual players. We don't seem to correct our mistakes. Our thrown ins are not planned and we are too disjointed.
This is manchester united and we shouldn't accept anything less than the best.

ExoduS

Ole is good. Pogba is holding him down. Get rid of Pogba, sort of defense - I think players are good, just need to be better coached, and upgrade midfield with a player that doesn't suck. We would be then good.

90 + 5min

We've been offering up these lethargic displays for a number of years now. It's practically a running theme at this point, we almost expect to see them. It's more than a little concerning.
I don't agree with you that we were outplayed by Palace. I agree with Brighton but not Palace. They won because we were naive in our defending on counter attacks. For pretty much whole of the game we were in controll but couldn't find anything behind Palace 4-6-0 team. It looked like we were playing handball.

I understand that people can be concerned. I wouldn't say that I am to concerned because we are in a middle of a process. Things take time and we are taking steps forward. We will see more of bad performences and we will see more of great ones too. Until we find right balance.

Stadjer

Ole is good. Pogba is holding him down. Get rid of Pogba, sort of defense - I think players are good, just need to be better coached, and upgrade midfield with a player that doesn't suck. We would be then good.
Is this serious? Pogba his form combined with the PSG result got Ole the job...

Ole fans blame Pogba for Ole his performances and Pogba fans blame Ole for Pogba his performances?

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
This is nonsense.

I am not a great fan of Pogba, but to suggest we feck him off and everything falls into place is fecking bordering on delusional.

Honestly....Ole ain't that good and Pogba ain't that bad.

OrcaFat

When Ole came and took over everyone said he improved the team. He did after the implosion of Jose. Credit to him for getting Bruno and letting him play freely.
Even before that we were very good against sides who attack us. It's when sides sit back that we getting into trouble. We always had the brilliance to score against teams who leave space behind their defense.
We still have brilliant players who can destroy teams.
What we don't have and never had was any system or way of playing as a team. Fans were getting upset with managers for not playing decently game after game.
If this was a top side today everyone will be happy we stole 3 points. I am happy we got 3 points but I am not happy the way we got those 3 points.
The goal we conceded today was the exact carbon copy of the one we conceded against Palace. It was not the first time AWB was found wanting today. The previous times he was lucky that we didn't concede.
We don't play as a team. We play as individual players. We don't seem to correct our mistakes. Our thrown ins are not planned and we are too disjointed.
This is manchester united and we shouldn't accept anything less than the best.
Come on, cheer up a bit. Three points!

I don’t think there is anything in this idea that we have no system. It’s arguable that SAF never had a system you can easily describe. We scored goals in all ways and conceded them in all ways. We had better players is the main difference.

The players we’ve got are not amazing at all. We have some good players but they would not get into most of SAFs teams.

That said, we are rusty and will get better. We were a bit rubbish today but we still won and what a finish to the game. I’m happy. (I won’t be happy if we don’t get better but that’s for another day).

AC1689

Quality control
OleIN folk offer the manager patience, support and encouragement and are delighted when the team wins.
OleOUT spout venom, insults and create toxicity and are unable to celebrate even when the team wins.

Wonder which group Trump voters look like :confused:
Trump folk offer the President patience, support and encouragement and are delighted when the President does something good, albeit rarely. But refuse to acknowledge his obvious faults and terrible traits. He can do no wrong.

Anti-Trumpers (democrats) spout venom, insults and create toxicity and are unable to celebrate even when the economy is doing well. Even though they are declaring the blindingly obvious to the rest of the world, and everyone else can see it bar the Trumpeteers.

Wonder which group Trump voters look like? The Ole In crowd every day of the week/year/decade/century/millennium.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Fair comment. Some of our boys look like they’re running through treacle at times. Either they’re lacking match fitness or they’re knackered with only a brief window of a few games where we look sharp. I suppose if there was a bit more depth in the squad we might be able to sustain a sweet spot for a bit longer. But you are right, the team often looks lethargic - that’s the right word for it.
Aye, squad depth is a key ingredient to any successful side and we simply don't have it.

I can't see us making top-four without further investment this window, not unless we discover a way to make our players injury-immune as Klopp has for the dippers.

Status
Not open for further replies.