Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I wonder how you go through a day in your life without stroking out, given how much it offends you that some people want to keep Ole.
Nah, what offends me really is the fact these genuises of football supporters want to lay down some claim to how someone should support their football club. They're free to be delusional all they want but doing their little passive aggressive top-red stupid comments I won't tolerate.

They're free to object, of course, but results speak for themselves.

Olli85

Today's game was a dissapiontment. Tuesday was a fecking fantastic, nervy, awesome feeling. Let's not forget the fact that we've barely had an vacation. No proper pre-season. Poor squad depth, making us over reliant on certain players. On top of that, we're facing the toughetst schedule that I can remember. And that goes for most of our rivals aswell. For me, I'll take the points along the way until winter break in january. I'll gladly take ugly points over losses. This year feels like a bingo league. At least Ole is in this for United, not his own pockets or agenda. The Glazers on the other hand.. I would like us to put the pressure where it should be. Not on a United legend, who probably is out of his dept, but on our fecking no good owners...

cptkeane1993

Signs of the team getting up to speed at last. I think Ole is dealing with the poor start really well. With hindsight mistakes were made in the close season, managing player holiday and pre-season etc. Possibly these were calculated decisions knowing that we would inevitably start slowly but surely things have gone a lot worse than expected. But still not too bad really.

I can understand gloom about the results but anyone actually watching the games must have seen the great football we’re playing, in fits and starts, but it’s there.

A few selections have been questionable but that’s the job, everyone thinks they can do better. My personal bugbear is Ole’s persistence with James but I’m sure there are reasons behind it. Donny will play more as the season wears on, Mason will come back in, Martial will hit some form.

The overall curve is on the up.
This.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I would just like to ask all the super supporters at what point in the league would you consider removing him if we're in the bottom half? How much longer? Christmas?
If he's in the bottom half at Christmas then yes there might be a case to consider for changing manager.

At the end of last season you said yourself you were giving him this season though. Why the kneejerk posts after a decent week for us?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It has to be said, quite why Ole is playing James in place of Greenwood is a mystery for the ages. It makes no sense whatsoever.

As for the game today, I'm not sure what we can take away from it. The game ending 0-0 was more down to Lampard setting his side out not to lose than a problem with Ole's tactics. Most sides would have struggled to break Chelsea down today.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
If he's in the bottom half at Christmas then yes there might be a case to consider for changing manager.

At the end of last season you said yourself you were giving him this season though. Why the kneejerk posts after a decent week for us?
To be honest, I expected us to play much, much better at this point in time. I'm seeing the same old mistakes and I just feel I know where we'll end up.

His squad management is truly atrocious. He's played both our defensive mids for near-enough 2 full games in the space of a few days. Why isn't Matic playing given the fact we'll need to be rotating right up until the end of the season, for example. There's just way too many issues to be patient at this point.

Worst of all, if we don't make the CL, we won't buy anyone because of Corona and players will just look to us as just another Arsenal. It doesn't help that we didn't buy Sancho which I personally thought was done and dusted after we made top 4. But the Glazers always disappoint.

I really see us spiralling down if others around us keep investing and consistently getting better returns on higher investment (e.g. Everton). We saw last season we needed new energy with Bruno and this helped us. But what also helped us was not playing EL week in, week out to finish the season.

OGS got extremely lucky with the fixtures and even if we took advantage, I think this season will expose his weaknesses even more, as rotation is key and he's shown time and again, he doesn't know how to manage a squad.

Greck

I'm gonna be honest, I'm confused as to what United and Chelsea are playing at this season. Huge chance to step up this season, and they're persisting with Ole and Lampard who to be honest won't ever really be more than top 4 competitors, regardless of players. The squads are there for both. The rest are inconsistent. Liverpool and City with big cracks this season. A manager like Pochettino just waiting... or at the very least, any halfway proven manager that would do more than Lampard and Ole.

Ole has done well enough, but he's a caretaker manager at best who is here until we wait for the right person/moment. Lampard for Chelsea is holding them back more than Ole IMO, as he's clueless tactically and either goes all out attack or defence with no balance. Ole at least can get really good performance in big games, but its just so strange to see 2 of the 4 biggest teams in England persisting with manager who arguably wouldn't get a single other job in the premier league if all were available.
Chelsea really are going nowhere. Lampard came 4th with no transfers so just like us one could say the manager has earned another season and it's the least he should get as far as gratitude but it's also really clear they won't be winning the league with him barring an anomaly

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
To be honest, I expected us to play much, much better at this point in time. I'm seeing the same old mistakes and I just feel I know where we'll end up.

His squad management is truly atrocious. He's played both our defensive mids for near-enough 2 full games in the space of a few days. Why isn't Matic playing given the fact we'll need to be rotating right up until the end of the season, for example. There's just way too many issues to be patient at this point.

Worst of all, if we don't make the CL, we won't buy anyone because of Corona and players will just look to us as just another Arsenal. It doesn't help that we didn't buy Sancho which I personally thought was done and dusted after we made top 4. But the Glazers always disappoint.

I really see us spiralling down if others around us keep investing and consistently getting better returns on higher investment (e.g. Everton). We saw last season we needed new energy with Bruno and this helped us. But what also helped us was not playing EL week in, week out to finish the season.

OGS got extremely lucky with the fixtures and even if we took advantage, I think this season will expose his weaknesses even more, as rotation is key and he's shown time and again, he doesn't know how to manage a squad.
We're only league 5 games in after no pre season. No team in the league is looking particularly consistent at this point.

There is plenty of time to turn things around (if you can call it that) especially now we've nearly got a full squad to choose from. I'd say the bigger worry with Ole is we still don't seem to know our best team or formation rather than issues of managing the squad. Liverpool play pretty much the same team week in week out.

As for the transfer window it was a disappointment at the time but we've hardly had any chance to judge whether the business we did do was good or not.

Changing the CM for Matic would have barely made a difference today. Lack of quality in attack was the problem - as is regularly the case when Martial is missing.

OrcaFat

I don’t agree with all his selections. But then he doesn’t agree with all my team predictions so we’ll call it even.

Ole has been doing a perfectly fine job managing the squad. Slow start this season but you can’t say he is wrong on the basis of a few matches. You have to look across the season.

He managed a squad over his first full season to 3rd in the league and I doubt he lost that ability overnight. (Anyone who thinks we should have finished higher than 3rd should probably sit down and have a little rest).

AshRK

It was 2 points dropped, no other way of putting it. He has to better what he did last season. If we are again fighting for.top 4 come end of the season then it will be difficult to back him.

Jaxa

So hypothetically,

We lose to Leipzig and then Arsenal , is Ole on the verge of being sacked ? Let's be honest besides the PSG result what a shite start to the season it's been, I think this squad has the potential and quality to win the league let's say in a years time with 1-2 extra additions, this year it needs to be at least challenging and finishing top 4,

The question should be, do the club believe Ole can carry us and elevate us to that level to win a league, if not, what's the point of continuing with him ? I still think he should be given to end of year minimum and then judge him but if we are no better off times up, i do however pray he gets us in better shape,

It would be a great feeling to win a title with Ole at the helm.

Amerifan

Based on our lineup Ole was expecting Frank to use his new signings and go on the offensive. We set up for the counter. James fits in for that approach due to his speed on the break. Apparently, Frank expected the same from us and also set up for the counter. With only three subs neither manager was really in a position to change their setup once they saw what other was doing.

Not a failure for either manager. Ole and Frank haven’t faced each other enough to get into each other’s head.

Stretender

It was 2 points dropped, no other way of putting it. He has to better what he did last season. If we are again fighting for.top 4 come end of the season then it will be difficult to back him.
Did you say this against Spurs and Palace?

OleBoiii

How on earth does this thread have hundreds of new replies in just few hours after that game? :lol:

Today is maybe the closest I've been to joining the 'Out' train....which is strange, because a point at Chelsea is far from a disaster, or even particularly bad. We've had much, much, much worse performances - even just in this season alone.

I've just grown to hate the lack of intent in big games. It's paid off at times - we're a decent counter attacking team - but so often we set up like some high quality, high cost version of a League 2 team who've won the lottery with an Away tie at Anfield or Old Trafford in the 3rd round of an FA Cup. I hate that we still haven't reached the stage where we're confident of imposing our will on teams. Hate that the focus is still on picking players with 'legs' and energy instead of technical ability...it's just becoming tiresome.

The Dan James obsession is now baffling. 90% of this forum know that it's an absolutely pointless exercise starting him against teams who defend deep, never mind a paid manager. which Chelsea were clearly going to do today. He played exactly as expected - woefully, running in straight lines, running into people, misplacing passes, offering no creativty or defensive presence - and I have no idea how Solskjaer expected any different, and that's worrying.

Starting McTominay and Fred together...at least this time I can see why he did it, but it's just - again - tiresome. We've shown over and over and over again that we'll always put energy or 'character' over actual footballing ability. Both in team selections and in the transfer market.

It's just becoming increasingly clear that this is what Solskjaer is. This is the manager he is, the values he has as a coach...and - for me at least - I'm becoming more and more concerned that those values aren't compatible with where I want the club to be aiming.

Last edited:

Wilt

So hypothetically,

We lose to Leipzig and then Arsenal, is Ole on the verge of being sacked ? Let's be honest besides the PSG result what a shite start to the season it's been, I think this squad has the potential and quality to win the league let's say in a years time with 1-2 extra additions, this year it needs to be at least challenging and finishing top 4,

The question should be, do the club believe Ole can carry us and elevate us to that level to win a league, if not, what's the point of continuing with him ? I still think he should be given to end of year minimum and then judge him but if we are no better off times up, i do however pray he gets us in better shape,

Losing to Leipzig would not be the end, but lose to Arsenal and they’ll be screaming ”sack” from the rooftops.

RORY65

Neither of the options of the poll really represent where I am on Ole. I didn't think he was a good appointment in the first place because his CV was so unremarkable and deep down I don't think for a second that we will a league or Champions League with him and I think that there are numerous options out there who would do a better job of coaching individuals and the group as whole (several players have gone backwards while others have improved and we still don't have much of an attacking plan beyond counter-attacking or hoping to get a penalty) but at the same time he was given the job and thus far he's done well enough to keep it once he was given it, although the performance levels were all over the place and the points tally wasn't great the reality is that 3rd was the best that the squad was capable of achieving.

I don't know if that's why there's always a lot of comments in here when we don't win, I don't tend to post that much either way, but I do get some of the comments (others are unnecessary) because I just don't believe that there's a process and that if we just give it time the results will be worth it and so it's harder to be patient when you don't really trust that that patience will lead you somewhere (it's why it was easier for Liverpool fans to accept the odd really bad result in the first couple of years under Klopp or for City fans to stick with Guardiola despite issues in his first season). However I also completely understand fans who love Ole because he's a club legend and who can also point to the fact that he was given the job and once you accept that fact, whether you agreed with it or not, then he's not as of yet failed to meet any of the targets that have been set for him as the permanent manager and there have been positives in terms of us being competitive at least in all of the cups, a few young players have been brought through, there have been some really good results in big games and the players clearly like him given that he tends to get a performance when he needs one.

So essentially I don't think he should be fired ASAP but at the same time I don't believe that if we let him finish the rebuild that suddenly we're going to be a great side.

passing-wind

So hypothetically,

We lose to Leipzig and then Arsenal , is Ole on the verge of being sacked ? Let's be honest besides the PSG result what a shite start to the season it's been, I think this squad has the potential and quality to win the league let's say in a years time with 1-2 extra additions, this year it needs to be at least challenging and finishing top 4,

I honestly believe no one within the club including the manager, players, staff believes Solskjaer can win the league. I think top four is as realistic as expectations go. We need another manager to bridge the gap to us becoming a title challenging team.

lsd

The Oracle
After that load of garbage today i wish i could sack myself from watching football again . Both Lampard and Ole should be ashamed of serving up that cowardly dross . That was just utterly pathetic from them

Amir

Based on our lineup Ole was expecting Frank to use his new signings and go on the offensive. We set up for the counter. James fits in for that approach due to his speed on the break. Apparently, Frank expected the same from us and also set up for the counter. With only three subs neither manager was really in a position to change their setup once they saw what other was doing.

Not a failure for either manager. Ole and Frank haven’t faced each other enough to get into each other’s head.
Agreed. Both managers surprised each other and it ended with both sides nullifying the other.

Foxbatt

How can anyone really accept this dross from both the managers. I am shocked that people can still make excuses for Ole. I do not care what Chelsea does as it is for their fans to do whatever they want.

windco

Having listened to his interview today, it is quite clear that he was happy with a point today. He referenced the two home losses to Palace and Spurs and said today was progress with a point. This mentality will not win us any trophies. United need a new Manager , no ifs or buts. You guys screamed at the previous manager to be sacked for playing like this, i want to see the same energy now. Let's be honest, we replaced serial winner for a clown who are here just to lower standard, to cuddle players and to kiss the board assess , never to win anything.

Last edited:

Flexdegea

So hypothetically,

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Obvs troll is obvs.

No one can be seriously being this emotional and excited?

1974_Fergie_Time

Chelsea fans are delighted Ole is still our Manager
Man Utd fans are delighted Lampard is still their Manager

Liverpool, City, Arsenal, Spurs and Everton ect, fans are delighted
we both keep our Managers, tells you all you need to know really.

I think both Managers have till the International break to sort it out
and if they don't a race will begin between both for Poch and Allegri.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

It is for Ole. We shouldn't be set up to play Chelsea on the counter at home, were not some mid table club. Unless we've become one now.

Foxbatt

Don't forget about Pep. He may in trouble too and if so the race for Poch and Allegri will be by three clubs. And knowing United I know what will happen.

Tarrou

It’s pretty strange reading this thread and seeing so many posters insulting each other for holding a differing opinion.

How do you feel when you read back your posts after you do that? It’s just a football match.

I know emotions are running high sometimes especially when we’re not doing too well but maybe you should wait a day to post after a match if you’re going to be a cnut about it. We all want the same thing here and that is United back on top.

Flexdegea

About 2 minutes ago I called someone post a disaster post........this has took it. :lol:

United men were laughing klopp for years......has no relevance to anything.

Poch ain't at united and allergi be surprised if Chelsea went for him too after the big outlay, but you seem to know.

Fletchageddon

Season is 38 games long. A draw against Chelsea is nothing to be sniffed at. Move on to the next game.

Gabagoo

Chelsea are a very, very good team. And we were better.

And this is coming from an #OleOut guy (about a month ago).

Give Ole some time. At worst, this season we won't finish top four, who gives a shit.

Jeffthered

After that load of garbage today i wish i could sack myself from watching football again . Both Lampard and Ole should be ashamed of serving up that cowardly dross . That was just utterly pathetic from them
Absolutely... Was an embarrassment. Disgraceful. Weak. That was a nothing performance. How on Earth is that Manchester United FC.

We seem lost. No consistency. No idea of how we may perform week-to-week.

oreon

Neither of the options of the poll really represent where I am on Ole. I didn't think he was a good appointment in the first place because his CV was so unremarkable and deep down I don't think for a second that we will a league or Champions League with him and I think that there are numerous options out there who would do a better job of coaching individuals and the group as whole (several players have gone backwards while others have improved and we still don't have much of an attacking plan beyond counter-attacking or hoping to get a penalty) but at the same time he was given the job and thus far he's done well enough to keep it once he was given it, although the performance levels were all over the place and the points tally wasn't great the reality is that 3rd was the best that the squad was capable of achieving.

I don't know if that's why there's always a lot of comments in here when we don't win, I don't tend to post that much either way, but I do get some of the comments (others are unnecessary) because I just don't believe that there's a process and that if we just give it time the results will be worth it and so it's harder to be patient when you don't really trust that that patience will lead you somewhere (it's why it was easier for Liverpool fans to accept the odd really bad result in the first couple of years under Klopp or for City fans to stick with Guardiola despite issues in his first season). However I also completely understand fans who love Ole because he's a club legend and who can also point to the fact that he was given the job and once you accept that fact, whether you agreed with it or not, then he's not as of yet failed to meet any of the targets that have been set for him as the permanent manager and there have been positives in terms of us being competitive at least in all of the cups, a few young players have been brought through, there have been some really good results in big games and the players clearly like him given that he tends to get a performance when he needs one.

So essentially I don't think he should be fired ASAP but at the same time I don't believe that if we let him finish the rebuild that suddenly we're going to be a great side.
This is it. Ole has been a success in moving the club forward but he ain't going to win you a title. If we already know then there's no point in waiting. The board should go ahead and replace him, why wait ?
City and Pool are vulnerable, neither will run away with a league. There's a could chance a team outside of the top 2 will win the league. The team that's consistent will likely win. And with Ole its up and down. And there's no system so we rely on counter attacking and individual talent to win games, and that leads to inconsistency.
The board has decide what kind of team we are. Are we an elite team like Barca or Madrid or Juve or just a top 4 team. The truly elite teams will get rid of a manager who can't win a title. It's harsh but at the truly elite teams the standards are high.

Eddy_JukeZ

Today is maybe the closest I've been to joining the 'Out' train....which is strange, because a point at Chelsea is far from a disaster, or even particularly bad. We've had much, much, much worse performances - even just in this season alone.

I've just grown to hate the lack of intent in big games. It's paid off at times - we're a decent counter attacking team - but so often we set up like some high quality, high cost version of a League 2 team who've won the lottery with an Away tie at Anfield or Old Trafford in the 3rd round of an FA Cup. I hate that we still haven't reached the stage where we're confident of imposing our will on teams. Hate that the focus is still on picking players with 'legs' and energy instead of technical ability...it's just becoming tiresome.

The Dan James obsession is now baffling. 90% of this forum know that it's an absolutely pointless exercise starting him against teams who defend deep, never mind a paid manager. which Chelsea were clearly going to do today. He played exactly as expected - woefully, running in straight lines, running into people, misplacing passes, offering no creativty or defensive presence - and I have no idea how Solskjaer expected any different, and that's worrying.

Starting McTominay and Fred together...at least this time I can see why he did it, but it's just - again - tiresome. We've shown over and over and over again that we'll always put energy or 'character' over actual footballing ability. Both in team selections and in the transfer market.

It's just becoming increasingly clear that this is what Solskjaer is. This is the manager he is, the values he has as a coach...and - for me at least - I'm becoming more and more concerned that those values aren't compatible with where I want the club to be aiming.
I agree with your remarks following your opening statement.

I don't like how we set up in big games. I think Chelsea were there for the taking today, and we were meek. We should have went for it.

It was eerily reminiscent of the drab 0-0 draw with Chelsea - Moyes' OT debut vs Jose's Chelsea. They came there for a draw, and we obliged. Same thing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.