Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lysglimt

Scout
Fair enough, was it you or was it another poster who used Klopp as an example, In terms of challenge for major trophies in this case Klopp was 1 step away from winning the champions league in his second season. They also played great football that year. Do you think we are capable of doing the same this year?
Not me :) And I don't think we should use Klopp as example - what he did with Liverpool will probably not be repeated in quite a long time

Foxbatt

I do not know why Ole cannot play like this? I think he is going to go back to 3 forwards against Arsenal and we may come undone. We need to play 4 midfield players especially against teams who play football.
Our passing was poorer than Leipzig most of the time. If we can get our passing right then we could come good.

Giggsyking

I see you post quite a lot on this thread. Had 2 questions for you:
1. Which manager would you like us to hire?
2. Do you really think that rebuild of a side that had an average age of 27.5-28 when Ole took over would be completed in 2 summers, so much so that we'd be competing for CL? (Pool had an average age of ~25 when Klopp took over BTW)
1. If I would like to slowly rebuild and build on the youth and the academy I would go with Poch.
2. The rebuild does not have to be complete in two summers. But I want to see signs of a team that is going to compete in the near future. Last year we had relegation form and results until feb till we signed Bruno, I kind off hoped this year we would have a solid start that can give us the edge to stay in touching distance to the title race. But we once again had a shaky start of the season like the season before.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I do not know why Ole cannot play like this? I think he is going to go back to 3 forwards against Arsenal and we may come undone. We need to play 4 midfield players especially against teams who play football.
Our passing was poorer than Leipzig most of the time. If we can get our passing right then we could come good.
I disagree with this. In the first half it was a bit sloppy, mainly due to Fred and Matic, but later on in the game our passing combinations tore them to pieces, neat little one-twos helped bypass their press very handily. Our pass completion was actually slightly higher too, 83% to their 82%. They knocked it between their back 3 quite well but their passing in the final third lacked any edge or decisiveness. I do think we need to cut out some of the more general slopiness, Matic for example just kept hoofing it whenever he got it in the first half and Fred's touch and pass him let him down quite a few times in the first half.

SteveW

I don't - the majority I just ignore. But he at least tries to explain his position even if i dont agree with it.

But yes - i do find it embarrassing that after 4 defeats in 34 games - 1/3 of the people in here want out manager sacked.

Exactly.

Consistency is the latest stick they're trying to beat Ole with. But they've been consistently good since February. It's been 34 games.

We lost 2 games due to having no preseason. That's literally the only reason those performances happened. Once they got the international break to catch up physically they went straight back into their usual good form.

United supporters should be loving life right now.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
1. If I would like to slowly rebuild and build on the youth and the academy I would go with Poch.
2. The rebuild does not have to be complete in two summers. But I want to see signs of a team that is going to compete in the near future. Last year we had relegation form and results until feb till we signed Bruno, I kind off hoped this year we would have a solid start that can give us the edge to stay in touching distance to the title race. But we once again had a shaky start of the season like the season before.
1. Fair enough but I'm quite sure one can raise 10 issues they have with Poch if things go south for him, should he get appointed
2. Till Feb we were 5th-6th. Unless, PL has started relegating bottom 14-15 teams, I think we were quite safe. Also, this Bruno argument is something I'll never get - he identified a problem and saw that there was no solution available within the club, so he signed a player. What's wrong in that?
And this was a side with average age of 24-25 that finished 3rd. Our forward line is years away from reaching their peaks, and despite that we're finishing 3rd. Just think how exciting his side is going to be going forward!

Giggsyking

1. Fair enough but I'm quite sure one can raise 10 issues they have with Poch if things go south for him, should he get appointed
2. Till Feb we were 5th-6th. Unless, PL has started relegating bottom 14-15 teams, I think we were quite safe. Also, this Bruno argument is something I'll never get - he identified a problem and saw that there was no solution available within the club, so he signed a player. What's wrong in that?
And this was a side with average age of 24-25 that finished 3rd. Our forward line is years away from reaching their peaks, and despite that we're finishing 3rd. Just think how exciting his side is going to be going forward!
I know he will not be sacked whatever happens in this season unless we are in odd position by Christmas, but when I was talking about last season start I was talking also about his ability to manage the club and the players when we hit a rough patch. Now I know many will say it was because of the quality of the players that was available at both of these rough patches (last 2 months in his first year as caretaker) and the start of last season. But we started this season with again mediocre start and I hope we bounce back from it (in the league).

Anyhow, I am not afraid to back from my judgment on him, and I said it before nothing sweeter than winning titles with a club legend. I hope a win against Arsenal and Everton and will put us back on track because I truly believe this year the PL title is winnable.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I don't get the constant arguments The poll has a good amount of the votes supporting Ole and it's been like that since last season even after recent poor results I think. Yet this thread keeps on going

dirkey

He also clearly wanted Bruno the previous summer, but guess what ... Ed failed to deliver. People constantly point to the fact we were not great before Feb, but they fail to point out that we were playing Perreira & Lingard as our creators with Pogba injured.

OleBoiii

Since Bruno's arrival we've legitimately been one of the best teams in Europe. Whoever criticizes Ole now is either delusional or basing their criticism on the pre Bruno(and by extension Pogba, because of the injury) era. It's ridiculous either way.

We have 4 losses in 34 games, with 2 of the losses being with a fatigued team because of a short/non-existing pre-season. We're now quickly approaching a full season's worth of football with Bruno. This is no longer just a 'good run' or 'luck'. We're witnessing a long period of good football, good results and good coaching. Hopefully it can lead to a major trophy already this season, but I'm not sure if we have that final necessary bit of quality. It would certainly be sensational if we did.

The most important thing is to keep moving in the right direction. And whether we win or finish 6th, the club needs to keep investing in good players. There are still several areas that should be addressed.

LuckyScout78

Internal solutions:

+ Change formation from 4231 to 433 or 4312
+ Improving coaching. When a Leeds not full of big players. Can play really good team football. Both team pressing and build up playing. So both players and coaching team can improve
+ I hope and see Ole more on the line. Cheer, motivate and claps your players when they are doing something really good on the pitch. Boost theirs confidence while playing.

And if we have try all the intern solutions to improve the team. And still United don’t get the result. Far away from top 4 by the end of November. Then external solutions is needed.

Extern Solutions:
+ A new head coach and his team who knows to coach playing good team football. Build up a machine. Both team pressing and attack.
A coach that will develop players, to become betters.

Conclusion. I am 100% sure 433 or 4312 formation will suit United current squad better. If Ole and his coaching staff don’t see it. Then i am worry for the future. Example of a potential line up against Newcastle.

In a 4312 formation :

Bissaka - Bailly - Lindelof- Telles + Beek - Fred - Pogba + Bruno + Greenwood- Rashford

Change:
- A midfield 3
- Greenwood and Rashford in theirs best positions = LCF and RCF

And Bruno still as a free CAM. To feeds the two CFs upfront

So in others words. I can see where and how United current squad can improve. Before a new head coach arrives.
Like i said earlier. If Ole stuck with 4231 , with Pogba and Matic as the two cm players. Then I don’t think and believe Ole will not get the best out of this United current squad.
Then naturally. If a new head coach arrives after Ole. Seeing it and change/use 433 or 4312. We will see improvement. You get to put players on theirs best positions.

Its how i see. If he get sack or not. There are two paths.
Sack path = Ole is stuck and stubborn with 4231 with Pogba and Matic as regular to the end of Nov.
Surviving path = Change form to 433 or 4312

Those are based on my players and squad analyzing and players rating. Theirs qualities, abilities and where and which positions they suit best. Reasons why i have concluded Ole hasn’t get the best out of United current squad.

And the first match against Palace is on Ole fault. Pogba had Covid and got fatique and gas out really quick. Lead to many missing simple passes. Second right side with James and Mensah. Should started with Beek and Fred instead of Pogba and James. Pogba was clearly unfit and not ready against Palace.

Beek - Fred - McTom + Bruno + Rashford- Martial.

Ole made Palace looked really good with that line up.

Like previous managers. All from Moyes to Mourinho. Theirs put players on not theirs best positions. And they stuck with them until they got sacked. Sorry Fellaini. All of Moyes, LVG and Mourinho were using Fellaini as a central midfield player. But Fellaini best position is a tall supporting strike/second striker. Like he had a precise left foot in Leighton Baines. Who feed him with precise crossers.

So I believe Pogba - Matic and 4231 formation are reasons. If Ole stuck with it, regular. Will be the main factors he will get sack. In others words. It Ole decisions and team selections. His tactics. Are crucial. If he will stay or not.

So not for Ole. Both for the club. I hope for 4312 formation against Newcastle. Like the potential line up i put above. Would love to see how Beek, Pogba, Bruno, Rashford and Greenwood work together. Bring them on and start them please.

I am glad he has move and made a change. Special in champion league matches. With the diamond 4-3-1-2 formation with 2 CFs. Many of the fans and peoples in this forum know it. And you dont need to be a football expert or rocket science to know that Uniteds current squad suit 4-3-1-2 formation best?Why?Because if you dont count Martial as a left winger. Then United dont have any really good natural and typical. Classical winger and wide player. Then what should do with that?Special if you many really good CFs in your squad like Rashford and Greenwood + plus maybe Cavani and Ighalo. Of naturally and logically you drop the wingers. And go for 3 cm players, a CAM and 2 CF. Its nothing genius or super tactic wow ability. This is at least a demand ability by a top club manager. Ability to get the most out of your squad. Not a new manager just has been in the football job for months, in non league football. If a manager dont see it. Then its his super ego who is standing in the way and block the view to see the change, for the best of the sqaud and club.

Then you can see i have mentioned the intern solution for United and Ole. Before he made the change and use the 4-3-1-2 in champion league. Many does see it too. Nothing difficult.

But in the league. He still use 4-2-3-1 and James as left winger. Reason why United can still improve in the league. By the same intern solution and change of formation.

Conclusion. Before the champion league start and Newcastle win. Ole was on the sacking path and road. Ole change the road and path/change formation. So conlusion. If Ole switch back to 4-2-3-1 formation with Pogba and Matic + plus James as left winger. He is gonna switch back to the sacking path.

There are ingredients behind a sacking path and a surviving path. Depend on which ingredients Ole is using and choosing. It will lead him on that path.
Ole is his own worst enemy. His super ego and stubborness. If he think his own ego is the main factor behind the team and his success. Stuck in stubborness and ego, then it will lead to the sack path. So again. So for the whole club and fans. I am glad he made a change.

Against teams United shall dominate. A 4-2-3-1 formation with Fred - McTom + Greenwood - Bruno - Martial + Rashford will work. But if you put James and Mata in for Martial and Greenwood then you might struggle. Because the level of the players are differents. But still i believe 4-3-1-2 formation suit United best. Because United have better CMs and CFs than wingers. Then Pogba and De Beek would be a LCM and RCM options

And about Rashford. I have always said he is best as a CF. A Vardy type of CF, not a VAn Persie or Greenwood type of player. So the Martial red card might be a positive factor. To made a change to put RAshford back as CF. A trough ball CF with ability to dribble. And i am glad his top determination and killer instinct is back. 100 % determination and killer instinct is what need to play as CF. Sharp, determinaiton and clinical.

So in the end. I am glad the change of formation was coming. And i really hope he doesnt switch back to this starting line up. 4-2-3-1 with :

Matic - Pogba + Mata - Bruno - James + Rashford. This starting line up, on a regular base will lead Ole on the sacking path. If Ole think he is super smart or genius to think this starting line up will bring United closer to top 4 in the league by desember. Stubborn on this decision. Then he has start/make and put some ingredients and factors that will lead to the sacking.
It has to be reasons and factors, before you can sack a manager and peooples. Reasons are = keep repeating mistakes/bad decisions. 2 = you are stubborn and dont want to make a change, for the better. So i m seeing Ole has done both. But the future. Im not sure. I dont know Ole in person to say he will switch back to poor tactical decisions. But this is how i evulate a manager and people job. Everyone need a new chance to improve and accept your poor decisions and to make a change. If not, then you make it difficult for yourself. You are putting yourself on the sacking path. In football world or wherever.

It easy to win over others. But to win over ourself. Our ego and stubbornes. Its a lot more difficult. Ourselves is our worst enemy. Then if there are better solutions and options we can change. We have to do it. And there are intern and better solutions to Ole to make a change. And he did it. With 3 cm, a CAM and 2 CF.

So sum up. I am not in to sack or keep Ole. I am just observing and eveluate his decisions. I know and believe where United could strenght and improve. Internallly, before adding new players. So all the factors, reasons and ingredients to sacking and surviving has been mentioned. Glad the changes.....came....as soon as better. As earlier the manager realise and accept it. Make the change. Not only good for himself, but the fans and club too. Keep it up.

Hoboman

Players had no preseason, but by starting Pogba in first three games (twice alongside Matic) Ole made the situation even worse.

He also gave too much respect to inconsistent and defensively shaky Chelsea team, though. They are nothing special, at least now, while several player are still being integrating in the team.

Hovewer, he showed great tactical flexibility and ingame management against PSG and RBL. We struggled against RBL high press anyway, but, luckily, subs and finishing was in point.

Needs to stay away from too reactive formations and game plans, work on beating opposition's high press and generally play more from position of strength. Current squad has enough quality as well as much needed depth to succeed.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He also gave too much respect to inconsistent and defensively shaky Chelsea team, though.
We shipped 9 goals at home in our first two home games. Going back to basics was the right decision imo and even then we were still the better side showing more attacking intent than Chelsea who parked the bus. It was an understandable decision on Oles part to keep us tight at the back and get a clean sheet. It was a decent result given our start to the season.

Jonno

Maybe because we're Manchester United and so we normally should have higher standard and should strive to be better and better.

1. He does? consistently? No.
2. Yes, correct type of footballing culture. Good job in that sense. Complacency culture and insist on keeping deadwood around are still questionable though.
3. Again good job in not instilling toxic environment, things which the previous manager likes to do.
4. The bolded parts are just pure speculations. Did Sancho really said and want it? really? sounds like that's what you wish from Sancho.
5. We're already an exciting club, just by having many promising young players. It's not that hard to be in CL, except for teams in PL having many good competitors. Many shit teams entered this CL competition every year.

6. As soon as 1 result go our way, too many defensive sensitive Ole fans get over excited and use it as a proof/evidence to anyone who criticize Ole, as if Ole as a United manager shouldn't be criticized at all, fool proof.

It's so easy to get caught up in the moment - "We're going to win titles!!" or "We're going to be the best team!"
It's embarassing.
You state that i've written pure speculation. Yet you also write pure speculation regarding "insisting on keeping deadwood around", which is quite ironic. It's well documented we wanted 7-8 out the door this summer, but we couldn't find potential suitors. Why do deadwood, whom don't make the subs bench or interfere with the first team, bother you so much? We cleared out Pereira, Sanchez, Smalling, Dalot and it's fairly obvious we've been trying to ship out Rojo, Romero, Jones, Lingard, etc, etc, but we couldn't find potential suitors. It's not Ole Gunnars job to go from club to club offering them the chance to sign Phil Jones mate, he's not a door to door salesman. He tells hims board and directors who he wants in, and who he wants out. Yet you sit here downplaying Ole Gunnars ability as a manager, based on his superiors lack of sales? Baffling.

Anyhow, as long as he's the manager, I expect him to be improving. Recent run of games, he have been.. finally daring enough to make the right calls in some sense, which is good, but he still made shit calls like letting James wasting a lot of time vs Chelsea before finally making the necessary substitutions. I'm still not seeing any indications that he's learning as a manager. Wouldn't surprise me at all, for Lingard to sneak in again into our 11 in future games, or the likes of James and the rest continue to get worse. Our flaws in football system will kicking in again once fatigue again disrupts our key players. The chosen system still rely heavily on individuals, and the weaknesses in "organization". We're just patching things up with players selections.
You say this re Dan James. But what you don't appreciate is the defensive running of Dan James. Yes he's sh!te going forward at the moment, he runs into blind alleys, he makes poor decisions, but he's very disciplined in tracking back and played an essential roles in keeping Chelsea from getting anywhere near scoring. Whoever else he could have picked there, does not have the same defensive discipline that Dan James does.

Very niaive of you to simply say "average manager because he picked Dan James" without looking further into the deep tactical analysis.

You also say he's not learning as a manager. Yet he's tactically outclassed almost every top manager in the game. People say "yeah but he can't beat the low block teams", yet we actually did, we turned our season around drastically and romped to 3rd place, only inferior to runaway title winners Liverpool and rivals City. That's some going with the youngest squad in the entire premier league that finished 7th the season before! That my friend is good, solid improvement.
To be fair, we could still win cups and even CL (since it's really a cup-based style of competition, lucks is a huge factor) with Ole. I'm sure if we stick with him, there'll be a season where we will win the trophies, but not the league as long as Pool and City are keeping their good grooves, nor I feel confident we'll remain cups or CL holders for many seasons.
You just dont know how this season will pan out. City could drop points at Sheff United, lose to Liverpool and suddenly with no Aguero again, they could be adrift of the top 4 for the rest of the season. Why are you so sure they'll run away with Liverpool? Hasn't this season so far taught you that that standard from Liverpool or City just isnt there?

If one fleeting moments are what you want then sure. To each their own. I would like us to dominate football for many seasons, and no I don't trust Ole to be the right person in managing this promising squad full of young exciting players combined well with older good players... unless he really start improving, which he's not.

Ole always flatter to deceive, that's what I get so far from his 1st half-a-season, then 2nd full season and this 3rd starting season. Once he'll make the right calls, then he'll do the opposite. It's like lucky draw, or throw many things and hope for the best. The fact that we still don't have a good system that can solve our "vs low blocks conundrum" nor our best 11 says it all. Doubt Ole knows either. He knows one thing though - usually a good system to beat the "superior" sides but he needs to thinker first with his tactics and players selections. Usually he'll be better vs top teams, but there'll be games where he'll get tactically outclassed eg. the Spurs game being the most recent one, or the Chelsea FA Cup game last season. Naive is the word, and he's only interested in upping his tactical game when we're facing top teams.
We want the same things. But I just don't buy the agendas that anti-Ole fans have. They "think" he wont do well so they want him out. Yet he IS doing well, 3rd place, 3 excellent cup runs, positive transfer strategy, tactical masterclasses, consistency (based on most of 2020), what more do you want? We weren't fit for 2-3 games, we struggled, every team did. Champions Liverpool got d!cked by 7 to Aston Villa. We're not struggling now, we're playing just as well as post-lockdown last season. What is wrong with supporting that? Why the agenda? Does his face not fit? How does he only up his tactical game when we play top teams? In recent memory we've beaten Newcastle 4-1, Brighton 3-0, Luton 3-0, Copenhagen 1-0, Lask 2-1, Palace 2-0, Villa 3-0, Bournemouth 5-2, Brighton 3-0, Norwich 2-1, Sheff United 3-0, Lask 5-0....... come on mate, 1 bad result V Crystal Palace and your narrative is that we "struggle against the smaller teams".

TLDR? Conclusion?
Ole is just a good safety blanket.
Won't be the worst, won't be the best.
Accepting it means lowering standard... but I guess many of us have been doing that more and more nowadays, gradually accepting it.
Doesn't feel like this is United, but again - to each their own.
I don't know what you think bringing another big name manager will do. Ole is building one of the best, young attacking sides in world football. We still have the youngest average age, we are clearly going big next summer in the transfer market (we have consistently gone big, small, big, small each year). Why won't you happily let Ole complete his project?

I'd understand if we had just finished 6th, were losing every week, played rubbish football. But we're not. It tells me that the Ole-Out brigade want him out because they've made pre-conceptions based on the media, twitter, and because he managed Molde and Cardiff. Footballers can drastically improve, and so can managers.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It’s not very hard to see the positivity he brings into our club since end of October last year. You can just see it, he started to implement United tradition to develop and improve our young players and have faith in them.

The team playing style also has similarities with the Fergie era where we are so good in counter attacking and always play direct instead of pure possession. Not only that we always have lot of shots per match because the manager wants the team to score not getting 0-0 draw like Mourinho was or LVG who prefers total possession football. Some improvement is still needed in our build up play from the back but that’s about it.

The manager doesn’t throw players under the bus too or complain publicly to board, he’s focusing on his job as a manager and he has improved players who were written off under Mourinho. This is down to good man management and coaching and you can see it. His net spend is also 150m pounds so far which I think he’s already done better than Mourinho who had 290m net spend.

Of course if you ignore everything what I just said above and only judge him based on the league table or match result alone then I don’t expect you to understand the progress Ole is making.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
You state that i've written pure speculation. Yet you also write pure speculation regarding "insisting on keeping deadwood around", which is quite ironic. It's well documented we wanted 7-8 out the door this summer, but we couldn't find potential suitors. Why do deadwood, whom don't make the subs bench or interfere with the first team, bother you so much? We cleared out Pereira, Sanchez, Smalling, Dalot and it's fairly obvious we've been trying to ship out Rojo, Romero, Jones, Lingard, etc, etc, but we couldn't find potential suitors. It's not Ole Gunnars job to go from club to club offering them the chance to sign Phil Jones mate, he's not a door to door salesman. He tells hims board and directors who he wants in, and who he wants out. Yet you sit here downplaying Ole Gunnars ability as a manager, based on his superiors lack of sales? Baffling.

You say this re Dan James. But what you don't appreciate is the defensive running of Dan James. Yes he's sh!te going forward at the moment, he runs into blind alleys, he makes poor decisions, but he's very disciplined in tracking back and played an essential roles in keeping Chelsea from getting anywhere near scoring. Whoever else he could have picked there, does not have the same defensive discipline that Dan James does.

Very niaive of you to simply say "average manager because he picked Dan James" without looking further into the deep tactical analysis.

You also say he's not learning as a manager. Yet he's tactically outclassed almost every top manager in the game. People say "yeah but he can't beat the low block teams", yet we actually did, we turned our season around drastically and romped to 3rd place, only inferior to runaway title winners Liverpool and rivals City. That's some going with the youngest squad in the entire premier league that finished 7th the season before! That my friend is good, solid improvement.

You just dont know how this season will pan out. City could drop points at Sheff United, lose to Liverpool and suddenly with no Aguero again, they could be adrift of the top 4 for the rest of the season. Why are you so sure they'll run away with Liverpool? Hasn't this season so far taught you that that standard from Liverpool or City just isnt there?

We want the same things. But I just don't buy the agendas that anti-Ole fans have. They "think" he wont do well so they want him out. Yet he IS doing well, 3rd place, 3 excellent cup runs, positive transfer strategy, tactical masterclasses, consistency (based on most of 2020), what more do you want? We weren't fit for 2-3 games, we struggled, every team did. Champions Liverpool got d!cked by 7 to Aston Villa. We're not struggling now, we're playing just as well as post-lockdown last season. What is wrong with supporting that? Why the agenda? Does his face not fit? How does he only up his tactical game when we play top teams? In recent memory we've beaten Newcastle 4-1, Brighton 3-0, Luton 3-0, Copenhagen 1-0, Lask 2-1, Palace 2-0, Villa 3-0, Bournemouth 5-2, Brighton 3-0, Norwich 2-1, Sheff United 3-0, Lask 5-0....... come on mate, 1 bad result V Crystal Palace and your narrative is that we "struggle against the smaller teams".

I don't know what you think bringing another big name manager will do. Ole is building one of the best, young attacking sides in world football. We still have the youngest average age, we are clearly going big next summer in the transfer market (we have consistently gone big, small, big, small each year). Why won't you happily let Ole complete his project?

I'd understand if we had just finished 6th, were losing every week, played rubbish football. But we're not. It tells me that the Ole-Out brigade want him out because they've made pre-conceptions based on the media, twitter, and because he managed Molde and Cardiff. Footballers can drastically improve, and so can managers.
Great post. Kudos.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Great post! Pretty much destroyed everything he wrote.

RUCK4444

And the truth shall set the Ole-Outers free!!

Preach for they are blind.

OleBoiii

Delicious post.

Now watch the Ole outers add cilantro and dog poop.

Robbie Boy

Good post and fair.

Don't agree with the Dan James part though. For me, he's simply not fit for purpose and starting him against Chelsea was a ball dropped. If we were playing a much better side than Chelsea you could maybe make a case for his inclusion. I think we fecked up massively against Chelsea and Ole and the team are to blame. This is a poorly coached Chelsea side and they were there for the taking.

It's clear Ole had a lot of learning on the job to do. Yeah, he managed Molde, and briefly Cardiff, but coming here was a monumental step up for him. He's improved massively as a coach since his reign began. He still has learning to do, but to discredit his improvements since joining would be disingenuous. I felt during our run post-Covid that we rode our luck at times and were sloppy. However, against PSG and Leipzig, it was clear he got it spot on tactically and he totally outclassed Naglesmann and Tuchel.

Another credit are his subs against Newcastle: We were sloppy and uninventive against a team that basically handed us possession. Ole spotted this, along with Newcastle tiring, around the 70th minute mark and introduced Pogba and DvB. They both absolutely turned the game and we had a great 20 minutes at the end. He has often been critisised for his subs, but again against Leipzig, introducing Rashford and Fernandes totally blew Leipzig away.

It's been a good few weeks, but there's a small amount of criticism for the Chelsea game, from me. I feel with a better line-up and more positivity, we could have hammered them. Playing Dan James will get him nowhere though and hopefully he sees that. We didn't need a 'defensive forward' against them, as they aren't good enough to warrant that kind of attention. Anyhow, it wasn't the worst result in the world and hopefully we beat Arsenal and start another good league run.

Last edited:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I know people like to throw shit at our defenders, but it's pleasing to see another 2 clean sheets on the bounce. That's 22 in 2020 which is significantly more than our rivals. Not bad, good to see us returning back to our defensive form after a sloppy start.

ClubGames (All Comps)Clean SheetsClean Sheet %
Manchester United412254%
Manchester City381539%
Tottenham37822%
Chelsea361336%
Arsenal371541%
Liverpool361542%

Skills

Snitch
I know people like to throw shit at our defenders, but it's pleasing to see another 2 clean sheets on the bounce. That's 22 in 2020 which is significantly more than our rivals. Not bad, good to see us returning back to our defensive form after a sloppy start.

Manchester United412254%
Manchester City381539%
Tottenham37822%
Chelsea361336%
Arsenal371541%
Liverpool361542%
How many of those in Europa League though?

TheDoc

I just sat down and skimmed through this entire thread, more or less. There's a lot of sober minds who were treated like garbage along the way and are owed an apology, by people who are still posting on almost every page. Also I just love how the narrative have gone from people hating on Ole and lashing out at anyone either supporting him or merely reserving their judgement, to now claiming "he's improved a lot" and using that to justify their initial bias. As if he used to be the worst there is and now suddenly he's good. That makes no sense to me, it's just making up excuses for oneself by fitting the narrative.

I'd much rather suggest he was never that bad to begin with, that perhaps he even had a long-term plan just like he claimed and that he was right in saying there's no quick-fix to the situation he inherited. That maybe, just maybe, you were simply wrong back then and way premature (not to mention exaggerated) in your objections.

I remember during his initial run thinking "this can't last". The drive was back (I'd even call it overdrive especially that match against PSG) and the positivity, but for the most part the quality still wasn't there and many of these players were the same ones that had downed tools many times before so I kind of expected them to do it again at some point. A lot of people, even in this thread, knew his initial season could end badly, and that we'd definitely struggle the next unless some serious improvements were made. I believe Ole himself made a transfer wish in that regard, highlighting the need to strengthen all across the field before backing down on his demand the moment he knew these wouldn't be met. Which makes sense, to say you're happy with your squad even if you're not, as you can't go to war against your employers nor risk your players feeling unappreciated or inadequate if you want to maintain a healthy working environment.

Positivity breeds success, even when it's not really warranted it will still improve your chances more so than defeatism. It's why it's called "defeatism", because it leads to defeat.

So no, Solskjær hasn't suddenly improved, he's done a good job making the right calls all along (well as much as you can expect from any manager at least / nobody's perfect). He's taken the necessary steps needed for making the most of a very difficult situation. It's the quality of our squad, alongside the mentality and togetherness (the "culture" if you may) also needed for success, that are finally up to standards and that's why we're seeing improvement in results. To judge someone's management before these fundamental requirements are in place, like so many have done in this thread, that's just silly and I hope we as supporters have learnt from this.

Criticism where criticism's due, sure, but also credit where credit's due. And if it isn't due, if circumstances dictate it's too soon to tell, then focus on supporting your team. Negativity is a destructive force, it shouldn't come easy to you.

Reactions: Raoul

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Manchester United412254%
Manchester City381539%
Tottenham37822%
Chelsea361336%
Arsenal371541%
Liverpool361542%
That's very good record.

lysglimt

Scout
We were poor at times yeah - we NEVER had relegation form.
By february 1st - we had 9 wins, 6 draws and 8 defeats.

Granted that wasn't anywhere near good enough - but 33 points from 23 matches has never been relegation form.

But this year - the problem was our pre-season - not the fact that we aren't good enough.

Zen86

I just sat down and skimmed through this entire thread, more or less. There's a lot of sober minds who were treated like garbage along the way and are owed an apology, by people who are still posting on almost every page. Also I just love how the narrative have gone from people hating on Ole and lashing out at anyone either supporting him or merely reserving their judgement, to now claiming "he's improved a lot" and using that to justify their initial bias. As if he used to be the worst there is and now suddenly he's good. That makes no sense to me, it's just making up excuses for oneself by fitting the narrative.

I'd much rather suggest he was never that bad to begin with, that perhaps he even had a long-term plan just like he claimed and that he was right in saying there's no quick-fix to the situation he inherited. That maybe, just maybe, you were simply wrong back then and way premature (not to mention exaggerated) in your objections.

I remember during his initial run thinking "this can't last". The drive was back (I'd even call it overdrive especially that match against PSG) and the positivity, but for the most part the quality still wasn't there and many of these players were the same ones that had downed tools many times before so I kind of expected them to do it again at some point. A lot of people, even in this thread, knew his initial season could end badly, and that we'd definitely struggle the next unless some serious improvements were made. I believe Ole himself made a transfer wish in that regard, highlighting the need to strengthen all across the field before backing down on his demand the moment he knew these wouldn't be met. Which makes sense, to say you're happy with your squad even if you're not, as you can't go to war against your employers nor risk your players feeling unappreciated or inadequate if you want to maintain a healthy working environment.

Positivity breeds success, even when it's not really warranted it will still improve your chances more so than defeatism. It's why it's called "defeatism", because it leads to defeat.

So no, Solskjær hasn't suddenly improved, he's done a good job making the right calls all along (well as much as you can expect from any manager at least / nobody's perfect). He's taken the necessary steps needed for making the most of a very difficult situation. It's the quality of our squad, alongside the mentality and togetherness (the "culture" if you may) also needed for success, that are finally up to standards and that's why we're seeing improvement in results. To judge someone's management before these fundamental requirements are in place, like so many have done in this thread, that's just silly and I hope we as supporters have learnt from this.

Criticism where criticism's due, sure, but also credit where credit's due. And if it isn't due, if circumstances dictate it's too soon to tell, then focus on supporting your team. Negativity is a destructive force, it shouldn't come easy to you.
Just wait until we hit a rough patch again. There will be proclamations that he was a rubbish manager all along and it was the players carrying him.

Knee jerk 101.

masii

I have a question from moderators, if we go for a title race in PL by mid season, would you still keep this topic opened?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

This guys get it. Promote him!

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
To state the obvious (but it seems some people haven't got it - or have decided to ignore it): this isn't a normal season.

We have witnessed some truly bizarre results so far. And how much the exceptional circumstances will influence matters - as we go on - is anyone's guess. But you actually have to factor in those circumstances when you assess Ole's "performance" as manager - whether you like it or not.

Villa-Liverpool 7-2: Yeah...but...something.

City-Leicester 2-5: Yeah...but...something.

United-Spurs 1-6: Proof positive that Ole is shite and "tactically inept".

Foxbatt

He was a poor manager and he has made many mistakes. He was spot on against PSG and Leipzig. He was terrible against the league teams apart from newcastle. Let's see what he does against Arsenal and Everton.
The issue is this squad is good enough to compete against any team in the PL if we get it's tactics and selection right.
He also needs to get the players playing in a disciplined system that gets the best out of the team.
People talk about James and his running. He runs but his pressing is not really good.
Ole needs to go with two up front and not three.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
So in order to him being considered to stay as manager - he has to fight for the title in his 2nd season in charge ? When the team that won the league last season almost picked up 100 points.

So if City or Liverpool (heaven forbid) - win the league by 95 points (even if I dont believe it) - you think OGS should be fired if we only pick up 80 ?
No, that's a whopping 14 point increase from previous year.

The problem is when you finish on 66 points, come 6th previous year, spend another 200m and still finish on 66 points the next year ( yes, we got 3rd because others were worse). That's not an improvement to me.

R77

To state the obvious (but it seems some people haven't got it - or have decided to ignore it): this isn't a normal season.

We have witnessed some truly bizarre results so far. And how much the exceptional circumstances will influence matters - as we go on - is anyone's guess. But you actually have to factor in those circumstances when you assess Ole's "performance" as manager - whether you like it or not.

Villa-Liverpool 7-2: Yeah...but...something.

City-Leicester 2-5: Yeah...but...something.

United-Spurs 1-6: Proof positive that Ole is shite and "tactically inept".
Thank you. It's the biggest Elephant in the room in the history of football by an incredible distance and genuinely befuddles me that it needs pointing out at all. I've started to write a post like yours god knows how many times and have just given up in exasperation. I understand we all see things differently and people have various ways of coping with stuff, but the 'situation' accounts for probably 75% of the gripes that get aired over and over again :lol:

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
He was a poor manager and he has made many mistakes. He was spot on against PSG and Leipzig. He was terrible against the league teams apart from newcastle. Let's see what he does against Arsenal and Everton.
The issue is this squad is good enough to compete against any team in the PL if we get it's tactics and selection right.
He also needs to get the players playing in a disciplined system that gets the best out of the team.
People talk about James and his running. He runs but his pressing is not really good.
Ole needs to go with two up front and not three.
Your post and many others like yours basically works backwards from results and judges the manager's performance based on that. Thats not how things work in the real world unfortunately. There was literally nothing Ole could have done for the Crystal Palace game. They were coming in fresh off a good preseason and a competitive league game already under their belt while we sere coming in with a half baked friendly with players literally finishing up quarantine in the days leading up to the match. This is the Premier League. It really doesn't matter how much your players are worth if they're not match fit, they're not gonna win.

Also why do people keep ignoring that Pogba had bloody COVID-19? We still don't know how the virus effects things like stamina and endurance long term even after you no longer have it. No one from Paul to Ole to any of his doctors might have a clue about how match fit he was.

"The issue is this squad is good enough to compete against any team in the PL if we get it's tactics and selection right."

No. The issue is the squad is good enough to compete against any team in the PL on their day. Some of individual players that we rely upon like Rashford, McTominay, AWB, Greenwood, etc are still quite young and therefore inconsistent. Thats not on Ole really. That will come with time. Rashford I think is showing signs of finally getting it together hope the others do too.

Agree with you about James though. I'm struggling to see what he offers. His first touch is decent but his decision making in the final third is frankly atrocious. I would legitimately prefer Lingard over him.

Withnail

I have a question from moderators, if we go for a title race in PL by mid season, would you still keep this topic opened?
What's the criteria for closing a thread?

The burst Rashy's bubble one was only closed when the OP admitted he was wrong about him.

Do we have to convince the OP?

hobbers

The thread will close when the question of Ole's suitability for the job is no longer in doubt.

So maybe if we finish this season with a tangible improvement in league points/much closer to the top, do well in the CL/win a cup, and no more massive dips where we go on horror runs with horror performances.

Status
Not open for further replies.