Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

Who to believe? Sky or Men? One are sayibg that he is done and Cooper is saying that nothing will change even if we lose against Everton. Is Cooper reliable?
Men didn't say he's done, but it's that we're starting to put alternatives on the line and already approached Poch. Nothing contradictory for me. I think the board is just monitoring the situation for the moment.

Shark

@NotShark
Who to believe? Sky or Men? One are sayibg that he is done and Cooper is saying that nothing will change even if we lose against Everton. Is Cooper reliable?
If that's the case we're officially finished as a club. Any big club with genuine ambition would have sacked him already.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Bielsa really, as he won the second division, wow so did Sean Dyche. He has won nothing till that since 98 in his home country, so much for his style of playing winning things, as it didnt for the 5 clubs prior to dirty leeds.
Yes Bielsa one of the highest rated and respected coaches in the league that led Leeds to winning the championship after 16 years away from the pl. So much for his style of play winning things

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The worst feeling is going to be potentially losing to Everton, not seeing a change during the best time to make one (international football break). Then returning, see him sacked 1 month later, and then have Poch enter the fray with games every 3 days in December trying to firefight. Flipping mental board.

croadyman

I think the Utd board will find it much harder to sack Ole than it was with Moyes/LVG/Jose because of his legendary player status to the club, therefore don't expect this to happen until they see evidence on the pitch that he has completely lost the dressing room.

Footy van de Geek

Spot on, he was kind of set up to fail after accomplishing what the club asked of him last season. Lampard hasn't shown anything that proves he's a better manager but he was backed unquestionably and is getting a chance to build on last year. Ole hasn't been afforded the same luxury.

It's a shame and he shouldn't be the first one punished for the poor start to the season but unfortunately he's being set up to take the fall as those above him are seemingly indispensable to the Glazers.

Hate how we seem to be drawn into this same cycle every 2-3 years under the club's present management.
Woodward gave Ole roughly £140 million to spend on AWB, Maguire and James. They then further backed him in January by signing Bruno for £47 million + add-ons. There are add-ons for AWB and James too. Ighalo was brought in as a stop gap from China. He's earning good money for playing only a handful of games for United. Extending his loan deal was simply a PR move. Ole clearly doesn't trust him, given the signing of Cavani, signed on a free, will be earning approximately £9 million a year. Potentially more with bonuses. vdB was signed for £35 million + add-ons. Ole has so far had no clue what to do with him. Telles represents value for money at £13.6 million potentially rising to £15.3 million. Pellistri & Diallo are worth almost £50 million combined. Two for the future. You could also say Mejbri was purchased for a lot; his overall transfer fee could rise to £9 million one day. Ole might not be around to benefit from these three young signings, but the club is thinking long term with signings like these. Kambwala was signed for a decent fee recently as well. And by producing a player like Greenwood, the club has saved millions. He is now worth a lot of money.

Ole has been given a reasonable amount of money to work with to supplement a squad already containing Pogba, Rashford, Martial and Greenwood. I don't sympathise with him. He didn't get Sancho, and that's thar. He alone would not have solved the many problems we currently have. We are a mess tactically.

Chelsea are simply catching up after a year of no signings, bar Kovačić.

Champagne Football

Ole can turn it around and get some good results. If we finished the season in the top 4 while seeing Diallo, VDB and Galbraith breaking into the first XI, then the season will have been a masterclass.

Just seeing the 2 goals we conceded against the Turkish team has led to the outrage that - a proper manager would not concede those kinds of goals. Mata should never have been on the pitch. His legs are not cut out for a game like that.

But now that the outrage has calmed a little, Ole for sure can turn it around by sticking to a midfield 3 of Fred, McT and Bruno for the next couple of months, while giving VDB plenty of game time in games against smaller teams.

croadyman

Ole can turn it around and get some good results. If we finished the season in the top 4 while seeing Diallo, VDB and Galbraith breaking into the first XI, then the season will have been a masterclass.

Just seeing the 2 goals we conceded against the Turkish team has led to the outrage that - a proper manager would not concede those kinds of goals. Mata should never have been on the pitch. His legs are not cut out for a game like that.

But now that the outrage has calmed a little, Ole for sure can turn it around by sticking to a midfield 3 of Fred, McT and Bruno for the next couple of months, while giving VDB plenty of game time in games against smaller teams.
I don't think he can turn it around and have seen enough evidence this should be the end of the road

hobbers

The club is always going to publicly brief that the managers job is safe, right up until they sack him, and they're definitely always going to brief that their job doesnt hinge on the outcome of the next game.

Woodward was briefing LVG's job was safe all year while conspiring to replace him with Mourinho since before Christmas. Jose got the vote of confidence in October 2018 and then was sacked 6 weeks later.

Green_Red

I still want him to do well on Saturday. I want him to turn it around and go on a run and silence all his critics. I'm just not confident that he will. If I was in the ground I'd definitely be singing Ole Ole Ole at the top of my lungs for the guy, for sure. He's got my support as long as he's Man Utd manager. Hope a good few on here feel the same way.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Spot on, he was kind of set up to fail after accomplishing what the club asked of him last season. Lampard hasn't shown anything that proves he's a better manager but he was backed unquestionably and is getting a chance to build on last year. Ole hasn't been afforded the same luxury.

It's a shame and he shouldn't be the first one punished for the poor start to the season but unfortunately he's being set up to take the fall as those above him are seemingly indispensable to the Glazers.

Hate how we seem to be drawn into this same cycle every 2-3 years under the club's present management.
This is an absolute pile of utter wank. Lampard and Ole have both spent considerable amounts over 2 seasons. Both have hit around 240m over their tenure here, with Lampard being hamstrung with a transfer ban in season 1 (still managed to finish level on points with Ole, mind).

This idea that Ole hasn't been backed is such a tiresome narrative. He was backed last year and this season was given a very good LB, CM and top level back-up striker. I mean for fecksake, it's not a stretch to expect him to perform with a quality squad better than he has and yet it's suddenly the board's fault that he's made such a terrible start to the season. Get real.

HowYouDoin

Cooper is quite reliable. The Athletic also saying the same as Cooper I think that's who I'd believe. It makes sense though since we never act until things get really bad
Guess we need to be in a relegation zone then.
The standards of this club arent what they used to be.

USREDEVIL

I'd rather sack Harry Maguire. I know we can't do that but let's not just jump to the easy solution. He played a good team yesterday and bar Shaw and VBD (and maybe Bruno) they were very poor.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Probably because Lampard asked for easier targets to get, while Ole was asking for ridiculous ones ? Jusy saying..

Werner costed 47m, Havertz costed 62m, Chilwell 50m, Ziyech 40m, Mendy 22m, Silva for free.

Meanwhile we were targeting Sancho (120m) and Grealish (80m).
Those two would have massively improved us though. Getting both two would have been very unlikely this year, but we should really have done what it took to get one of them.

Now maybe Ole really wanted DvB and Telles, but it seems unlikely to me since the former has hardly played and the latter was bought on the last day of the window. The fact that we did most of our business on deadline day is a pretty bad sign

"Oh shit, we failed to get Sancho after spending all summer chasing him, lets scramble and see what we can pick up on the last day"

I dont know who handles the transfer negotiations at the club? Woody? Judge? Whoever it is, needs to be relieved of that responsibility. If (when) Ole is sacked, i hope the next guy dont have to deal with that kind of ineptitude

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
We can still get top 4 and a cup this season and do well in the champions league.

No better though, and if you think someone else could do much better I disagree unless they got very lucky. It does not matter who is in charge, the club will be a mess. Poch would have us top 4 most seasons probably, but would we be any better than now where we were top 4 last year and could be again this year? Probably not. I am not even defending Ole here because even though I am a big fan of his from his playing times, he could have done better with the organisation of the team and he is lacking in certain areas that he shouldn't be (Unless he can delegate these to assistants, which I actually think he got the hires wrong for).

Amir

Hope this isn't the dreaded vote of confidence...
It's actually true and we've seen it a few times: We go on a bad run, he's under pressure, and then we pull off a good result.

The problem is, there's a price to pay for those runs. You don't get dropped points back. Avoiding them is the success, not ending them before he's (possibly) sacked.

LisburnWhite

I think the Utd board will find it much harder to sack Ole than it was with Moyes/LVG/Jose because of his legendary player status to the club, therefore don't expect this to happen until they see evidence on the pitch that he has completely lost the dressing room.
This would definitely be the case if fans were in the grounds making their feelings known about Ed and the Glazers while showing support for Ole.
The fact that they are not gives the board more of a free hit if they do want to move Ole on, yes they will get abuse on social media but I don't think they are that bothered.
Think this could happen a lot quicker than many think.

Intheflatfield

Supports
The mighty Red Devils
You're the CEO of a billion pound company. Your no.1 sales manager is generating inconsistent sales...winning some but losing many and is costing the company millions. His staff are performing poorly too and seem unmotivated. However, he's popular with the customers and has been at the company for most of his working life, after working his way up from an office temp. Would you sack or stick with him?

Unforunately football is a business now and the figures on the balance sheet matter. Success breeds success and with this comes association with success and thus investment from 3rd parties. No one wants to be associated with a poor performing, losing team. I can't see Ole lasting but I hope I'm wrong.

Sorry for the crap analogy.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Woodward gave Ole roughly £140 million to spend on AWB, Maguire and James. They then further backed him in January by signing Bruno for £47 million + add-ons. There are add-ons for AWB and James too. Ighalo was brought in as a stop gap from China. He's earning good money for playing only a handful of games for United. Extending his loan deal was simply a PR move. Ole clearly doesn't trust him, given the signing of Cavani, signed on a free, will be earning approximately £9 million a year. Potentially more with bonuses. vdB was signed for £35 million + add-ons. Ole has so far had no clue what to do with him. Telles represents value for money at £13.6 million potentially rising to £15.3 million. Pellistri & Diallo are worth almost £50 million combined. Two for the future. You could also say Mejbri was purchased for a lot; his overall transfer fee could rise to £9 million one day. Ole might not be around to benefit from these three young signings, but the club is thinking long term with signings like these. Kambwala was signed for a decent fee recently as well. And by producing a player like Greenwood, the club has saved millions. He is now worth a lot of money.

Ole has been given a reasonable amount of money to work with to supplement a squad already containing Pogba, Rashford, Martial and Greenwood. I don't sympathise with him. He didn't get Sancho, and that's thar. He alone would not have solved the many problems we currently have. We are a mess tactically.

Chelsea are simply catching up after a year of no signings, bar Kovačić.
I think the not being backed idea is invalid for Ole now. Okay, he like us was probably disappointed by the transfer window, maybe he didn't get the players he wanted. But that squad is good. It has its weaknesses, but it's good, and should be doing a hell of a lot better than it is. The mistakes we're making, the defensive lapses, the inability to STILL break down a low block, the lack of consistency in systems, selections and results are down to Ole and his staff, and to a lesser degree the players themselves.

I think a better manager could do a fantastic job with this squad, which is the best squad we've had since SAF imo. Ole has done some excellent things, mostly in changing the personnel at the club. Now we need a next-level manager to get the team functioning and winning. I think we should move early too, as in over this international break. Poch is the guy.

el3mel

Those two would have massively improved us though. Getting both two would have been very unlikely this year, but we should really have done what it took to get one of them.

Now maybe Ole really wanted DvB and Telles, but it seems unlikely to me since the former has hardly played and the latter was bought on the last day of the window. The fact that we did most of our business on deadline day is a pretty bad sign

"Oh shit, we failed to get Sancho after spending all summer chasing him, lets scramble and see what we can pick up on the last day"

I dont know who handles the transfer negotiations at the club? Woody? Judge? Whoever it is, needs to be relieved of that responsibility. If (when) Ole is sacked, i hope the next guy dont have to deal with that kind of ineptitude
I really wasn't that into Sancho deal as much as many here. Said several times in his thread it would be fine to get him but it won't be a disaster at all to miss on him. The problem was that we didn't have any plan B after Sancho for the right winger and considering Woodward knows nothing about football, you'll think it's the manager's responsibility to offer alternatives in case we fail to get a 120m player ?

As for Grealish, I honestly don't know when he would have played considering VDB is currently struggling to game minutes off the bench and I think VDB was the direct alternative for him. Paying 80m for a player in a position you might not need that reinforcement in is a little bit of a stretch, you think ?

jamesjimmybyrondean

We can still get top 4 and a cup this season and do well in the champions league.

No better though, and if you think someone else could do much better I disagree unless they got very lucky. It does not matter who is in charge, the club will be a mess. Poch would have us top 4 most seasons probably, but would we be any better than now where we were top 4 last year and could be again this year? Probably not. I am not even defending Ole here because even though I am a big fan of his from his playing times, he could have done better with the organisation of the team and he is lacking in certain areas that he shouldn't be (Unless he can delegate these to assistants, which I actually think he got the hires wrong for).
So it does matter who is in charge if you think Poch will have us in top 4 most seasons. We usually don't get top 4 most seasons

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The club made definite progress under Mourinho but he still got sacked. He definitely wouldn't be sitting 15th on the table right now. Is there a manager good enough to rejuvenate this squad? Probably, but I don't think they will be given enough time or patience to prove themselves.
I'd like to think a good manager doesn't need 100+ games to prove themselves.

Footy van de Geek

I think the not being backed idea is invalid for Ole now. Okay, he like us was probably disappointed by the transfer window, maybe he didn't get the players he wanted. But that squad is good. It has its weaknesses, but it's good, and should be doing a hell of a lot better than it is. The mistakes we're making, the defensive lapses, the inability to STILL break down a low block, the lack of consistency in systems, selections and results are down to Ole and his staff, and to a lesser degree the players themselves.

I think a better manager could do a fantastic job with this squad, which is the best squad we've had since SAF imo. Ole has done some excellent things, mostly in changing the personnel at the club. Now we need a next-level manager to get the team functioning and winning. I think we should move early too, as in over this international break. Poch is the guy.
I agree with you completely. Nothing is guaranteed with Poch, but it's worth a go.

A top coach could improve lots of these players individually and as a collective group by finding the right system and balance.

LJJT

Ole is a good manager and had a generally successful 100 games. We did well last season overall. It’s looking unlikely at the moment but let’s keep in mind if we win this Saturday and assume we win our game in hand we are right in the mix in the top 10 of the table and in striking distance of everyone above us. Granted it’s a huge if but if we can we the next 3 league games and the champs league game vs Istanbul the outlook is far more optimistic.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
This guy gets such an easy ride. My head is hot
Isn't it? I can't remember when some manager got this level of confidence from owners.
And what strikes me the most; our owners are here for the money and money only. So i would expect from them to fire everybody who cost them money.

This is comedy now.

L1nk

People like Keane and those in the medioa saying its all the players fault, throwing Ole under the bus etc hjave absolutely no idea what they are talking about, yeah we smashed Leipzig a couple weeks ago becuase all those players were trying to throw Ole under the bus, they won't come out and say the truth because they are best buds with him, its seriously ridiculous,

UpWithRivers

Im sick of these excuses. If we got beat by PSG, Chelsea and/or even Leipzig then ok. But all we are asking is for consistency and to beat the likes of Palace, and Istanbul and not get schooled (even though we won) against Brighton etc. This has nothing to do with spend. Nothing. 0. Nada.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

What a load of shite. The excuses people come with for Ole are pathetic.

UpWithRivers

Hope this isn't the dreaded vote of confidence...
Another lie that keeps going. Ole didnt get the result against Arsenal (FA cup) or Sevilla when he needed it. Its not true Ole always gets the result. Yeah he managed to get 3rd but that was largely due to the capitulation of Leciesterand the whole covid lockdown thing

jamesjimmybyrondean

Another lie that keeps going. Ole didnt get the result against Arsenal (FA cup) or Sevilla when he needed it. Its not true Ole always gets the result. Yeah he managed to get 3rd but that was largely due to the capitulation of Leciesterand the whole covid lockdown thing
It's not when the team needs a result, it's when he needs a result to save his job.

hobbers

People say that "when he needs a result, he gets one" as if it's some kind of positive are an absolute marvel.

Yeh, he gets a result to rescue him from the fecking precipice. Which means... he's on the fecking precipice, because of how badly his teams have performed over long periods of time.

Almost as bad as suggesting he'd be doing better if he'd had more money to spend. He spent £130m on defenders for feck sake and they can barely control the ball, and we have to play two workman CDMs in every game just to keep the floodgates from opening.

Roane

People say that "when he needs a result, he gets one" as if it's some kind of positive are an absolute marvel.

Yeh, he gets a result to rescue him from the fecking precipice. Which means... he's on the fecking precipice, because of how badly his teams have performed over long periods of time.

Almost as bad as suggesting he'd be doing better if he'd had more money to spend. He spent £130m on defenders for feck sake and they can barely control the ball, and we have to play two workman CDMs in every game just to keep the floodgates from opening.
Yeah je "needs" a result in every game he plays, surely?

Don't get the thinking or "defence" here.

Chairman Steve

I think the fact the media are talking about it means something is up.

And don’t give me that ‘OGS wasn’t backed‘. He got £200m to spend across the whole of last season on Maguire, AWB, James and Bruno. That is not a man being set up to fail.

I swear at times, it feels like OGS’s grand plan is offset doing actual team tactics and strategies, by having amazing but expensive individual talent in every position, and hope to god one of them does something magical in a game to win it.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Would be interesting to have the poll reset or a new poll after the Everton match, whatever the result. I'm not sure many of these votes are active, as oppose to dormant.

kps88

It's criminal we haven't signed one proper first team player going into this season. It's even more criminal that happened after a fairly successful season.

We'll never really know for sure whose fault that is. We stood still while others around us improved their first 11.

RUCK4444

It's criminal we haven't signed one proper first team player going into this season. It's even more criminal that happened after a fairly successful season.

We'll never really know for sure whose fault that is. We stood still while others around us improved their first 11.
And it absolutely set the tone for the start to our season, a season with no pre-season that we therefore started off the pace.

Now we’ve had a shocking start the pressure is on and it’s all uphill from here.

Im not saying Ole shouldn’t have his share of the blame for the current position but what sort of owners/club reward their manager like that, it’s cnutish and the owners are getting what they deserve from this league campaign (not that they care like us fans though.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.