Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RUCK4444

I keep seeing "changing managers will not win us anything, there are bigger problems". Do people actually think we would go back to winning trophies with these coaches combined with the Glazers and Ed. The coaching staff are all underqualified bar maybe McKenna. It's not that Ole's quality is unknown like Arteta or Pep at Barca, his past credentials proves to be not good enough to coach this team. And frankly speaking because of this under qualification he'd have to be put on a very short leash and have to prove himself every time from day 1.

Ole would have to do something extraordinary before he gets people to actually believe he is good enough for the job. Zidane and Pep were under qualified too. What did Zidane do? He won three champions league in a row before people actually started giving him credit and even then you still heard that it was possible because of Ronaldo until he won the league without him. Pep won the treble and played arguably the most dominant style of football ever. None of Zidane or Pep would have lasted if they didn't start doing the unthinkable immediately. People are expecting Ole to get praises because he got us 3rd and three semi finals should keep dreaming. He will never get the credit you think he deserves unless he wins us the league
Not sure Mike Phelan is under qualified?

I agree that Ole’s coaching could and probably should be upgraded though.

bsCallout

You say that like it's only one thing holding us back (the manager).

Of course it's largely down to the players. It's OK to want the manager out while at the same time think these players aren't good enough (ability or mentality wise) to win a title either. They don't have to be mutually exclusive.
They lack a proper system. The players rely too much on their ability rather than a system. Why is it that every time Rashford Pogba Martial Maguire Bruno gets the ball they always try to do something special with it?
Most of those players Ole bought/promoted. But nevermind that, it is not on players. It is on manager. In good times and bad times. He picks players, he runs trainings, he is in charge for match preparation, morale, sharpness etc....
Players have a opinion too, granted the money their own they should play to their potential anyway. However , like many fans they too have lost confidence in our manager unfortunately. You can see (( well least I can )) they have stopped playing for him and find it hard to get motivated because they think it's in vain.
So you all seem to have pretty much the same idea.

The only problem with it is, it isn't just under Ole. It has happened under LVG and Mourinho too.

Like Keane recently said, it isn't up to the manager to motive the players. They are playing for the biggest club in the world, they should be motivated themselves to win every time they step out there.

They should be wanting to prove themselves every time they step out there.

Why do these players not put Ole's obvious instructions of playing with intensity, playing the ball fast, pressing etc into plan. They always seem to have to wait until half time for him to remind them to try again.

So what if the actual problem as I alluded too in the first post is less the manager, less the player, and more the fact that based on our recruitment and structure we award players who have never done anything in the first place?

Foxbatt

Phelan has never been credited with doing any coaching at United. No players talk about him unlike about Quiroz or even Rene.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I wouldn't say he is. But he seems like just a blast from the past when football has changed. You can say he's underqualified in the modern game

jamesjimmybyrondean

So you all seem to have pretty much the same idea.

The only problem with it is, it isn't just under Ole. It has happened under LVG and Mourinho too.

Like Keane recently said, it isn't up to the manager to motive the players. They are playing for the biggest club in the world, they should be motivated themselves to win every time they step out there.

They should be wanting to prove themselves every time they step out there.

Why do these players not put Ole's obvious instructions of playing with intensity, playing the ball fast, pressing etc into plan. They always seem to have to wait until half time for him to remind them to try again.

So what if the actual problem as I alluded too in the first post is less the manager, less the player, and more the fact that based on our recruitment and structure we award players who have never done anything in the first place?
If you think this is the case then maybe Ole should spend more time on the touchline constantly reminding them. He probably forgot to remind them half time against Istanbul. I'd say it's more on the manager because I don't doubt for a second that we would play more motivated under Fergie or even Klopp. Do you think otherwise?

Cloud7

There will be one man watching our match tonight closer than any United fan will - the bloke from Argentina!
You think Messi will let this result influence his decision to join us when his Barca contract expires in the summer? Even bigger game than I thought if so.

TheLord

You think Messi will let this result influence his decision to join us when his Barca contract expires in the summer? Even bigger game than I thought if so.
The bloke was already 15 when Messi was born.

MrSingh2002

Given Oles chosen lineup today....

He deserves the sack if we lose.

He deserves maximum credit if we win.

Because that looks like a shit lineup on the face of it. Either we're all idiots or he's the idiot today.

MrSingh2002

If I was Pochettino I'd learn from Moyes and Oles tenures.

Bring in a strong coaching team and not a bunch of yes men.

Fergie knew he needed good coaches which allowed him to look at things from a different level.

I'd be tempted to keep Phelan or even (shock horror) Ole involved somewhere in the management team if he was open to it. Oles seen which players aren't good enough in this squad atleast.

Rolaholic

Terrible manager, the sooner he goes, the better.

Besides his obvious incompetence, because of him the atmosphere around the club has become incredibly toxic these days.

It's not directly his fault, but his rabid fans that can't tell the difference between Ole the player and Ole the manager and his buddies in the media never ever admit that he does anything wrong, so they end up blaming it all on the players, board, stadium, covid, weather, etc.

In almost 30 years of following United I never remember seeing such a toxic atmosphere around the club and the fans going at each other's throat like you see these days. We always used to have a "us vs them" mentality, one that has served us well over the years, but these days it feels more like "us vs us".

Hopefully, after this guy's gone we learn our lesson, and think long and hard before using nepotism to appoint someone in such an important position.

Anyway, unfortunately, I think that he won't be gone anytime soon. Every time the axe is ready to fall, he seems to find a couple of results that gives him some breathing space and we're back at square one repeating the same vicious circle over and over.
What in the world? That's either very revisionist or you have a short memory.

The atmosphere has been depressing sure but it's been a far cry from toxic. Toxic would be the end of Mourinho's tenure when he was picking fights with everyone and their mothers and sabotaging the team to get sacked quicker for his juicy severance package.

Everyone associated with the club was absolutely miserable at the time and there was an actual civil war within the fanbase with mud flinging and character attacks incessantly, not the simple disagreements of right now. We haven't come anywhere close to that these last few weeks nor will we.

saivet

I've got mates who support Arsenal and Liverpool who hate United hoping we win today so we definitely keep Ole a bit longer :lol:

NJM78

I've got mates who support Arsenal and Liverpool who hate United hoping we win today so we definitely keep Ole a bit longer :lol:
Tell me about it, I have never had so much love shown for my team in all my life.

BlueHaze

Funny thing is he prob thinks he did a great job finishing third and tbh I don't take credit away from him for at least managing to win enough games to do so. However truth be told is that without Leicesters dreadful collapse after the break fact is we would have been in the EL right now and that's where we will end up again if he gets the whole season.

Consistency is his only strong attribute in the sense that we always manage to get a few good results here and there followed by heaps of disastrous performances. Once hes gone from United he'll never get a job for a big club again. Was on the road to take Cardiff down to League One yet here he is managing the top 3 biggest club in the world.

NJM78

That is one thing I can say over his time here,my stance was he should only have been a caretaker manager
Yep me also. People think we want a medal for it or we are simply negative plastic fans.
I see it as we just stuck to our own opinions and nothing been done since his permanent appointment has made me question it.

If Ole himself changes our mind and does great things for this club. Brilliant. However if he does rubbish he needs to go just like any other manager. Feck all this moralistic and sentimental crap that seems to blind others.

croadyman

Yep me also. People think we want a medal for it or we are simply negative plastic fans.
I see it as we just stuck to our own opinions and nothing been done since his permanent appointment has made me question it.

If Ole himself changes our mind and does great things for this club. Brilliant. However if he does rubbish he needs to go just like any other manager. Feck all this moralistic and sentimental crap that seems to blind others.
Yeah remember Woody saying they would carry out a recruitment process,what happened to that idea

AneRu

I never wanted him as permanent manager. Thought he was an excellent choice as interim.
I was appalled when he was announced manager before the season finished. This club went to lengths to say there would be a proper hiring process. Then turned its back on that.
I have wanted Pochettino from the day we asked LVG. But even with that I was desperate for Ole to be successful.
He hasn't and won't be simply because he doesn't have the talent.
Same here I feel, as I felt then, that Woodward jumped the gun to preempt the touted restructuring that he had promised. After Mourinho he copped a lot of blame for three failed managerial appointments and I think when he saw how Ole was successful in his his caretaker period he sensed redemption and thought he could ride on Ole's coattails whilst maintaining his and Judge's control over recruitment.

I know Ole feels hard done by with the way the summer window panned out but this team isn't that bad and the style of play just isn't there. He could fluke a few results here and there or even launch a good run of form but you know that a period of atrocious form is just around the corner and we will never progress as a side.

Cloud7

Everyone outside of United wants him to stay on as our manager. I haven't seen such widespread support for a United manager since Moyes.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Can we at least give Ole some leeway here (whether we win or lose today)?
It was only a few games ago we played well. Now we're the worst ever.

No manager is safe with us. If they dare lose or draw, knives are out immediately. We cannot keep going like that.
What Ed needs to do is get a football person in to deal with those matters instead of trying another manager. It doesn't work.

What might work is getting someone in to look at things objectively and help Ole to restructure his back room staff, implement a playing style we stick with (and only tweak when playing certain teams), so we build consistency. Plus utilise sports psychology. There are ways to help this manager.

Going with Poch (I hope not), is another disaster when he's absolutely terrible under pressure - and pressure, especially from external factors - is one of our big downfalls at this moment imho.

AneRu

The sad thing about this whole fiasco is that it shouldn't be coming down to one match or result. If he wins then what guarantees do we have that the team has turned a corner? These ultimatums, if there is one, just do not work because he could win this one and lose the next two then win again.

It should be about trajectory and not based on one or two results. We need to finish top 4 this season with stadium bans and not mention that our big shirt sponsorship is expiring in a pandemic ravaged economy. We shouldn't be hesitant wrt rescuing the season whilst it's still possible.

Pyro19

I expect him to be sacked by the end of this week if we want to get anywhere with this season

Yagami

Good post resistant
One thing he should've noticed or, if he has noticed, should've changed is having Lindelof and AWB on the same side of the defence. They are both terrible in the air and it's a major weakness.

On the flip side, Maguire and Shaw are both very good so balls delivered to our left aren't as troubling, but whenever an opposition team delivers a ball in from their right to the back post we always look like we're going to concede.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Needs to be sacked. Team has regressed & he’s got no clue how to change things.

MrSingh2002

Can we at least give Ole some leeway here (whether we win or lose today)?
It was only a few games ago we played well. Now we're the worst ever.

No manager is safe with us. If they dare lose or draw, knives are out immediately. We cannot keep going like that.
What Ed needs to do is get a football person in to deal with those matters instead of trying another manager. It doesn't work.

What might work is getting someone in to look at things objectively and help Ole to restructure his back room staff, implement a playing style we stick with (and only tweak when playing certain teams), so we build consistency. Plus utilise sports psychology. There are ways to help this manager.

Going with Poch (I hope not), is another disaster when he's absolutely terrible under pressure - and pressure, especially from external factors - is one of our big downfalls at this moment imho.
This would be great if he didn't have 2 and a half years to make those very changes you've mentioned. Bottom line is he didn't take those opportunities whilst in charge. That's gotta be because he's not capable or willing to make those changes or learn.

Its time for Poch.

AC1689

The board always act too late. It’ll be once we’ve no hope of achieving anything. We could genuinely win the title this season with Liverpool and City looking a bit off key, and it is wide open atm. A new manager, breath of fresh air, and actual decent tactics, then we could do it.

But we won’t. We will pull the trigger far too late and I cannot fathom why. It’s blatantly obvious we won’t go anywhere with Ole. Then again, for me it’s been obvious since 4 months in the job.

Winning today changes nothing. But it will give him longer. And that’s such a terrible way to manage a situation like this. It’s imbecilic. If you’re contemplating sacking a manager due to ineptitude, and then saying well let’s see if they win the next game, you’re already at a stage where you should sack them. All you do is prolong the agony and make it ten times harder to recover once the inevitable change is made.

Status
Not open for further replies.