Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grande

What a heap of strange ‘game analysis’ in this thread...

So we play the CL finalists, and for seventy minutes they create maybe two good chances and score two goals because of lucky deflections. We score one goal due to a lucky deflection, and have a heap of good attacks, Martial, Cavani, Rashford and Bruno had six or seven chances to score between them. Solskjær managed to get us play better than Tuchel had the CL finalists play. Two deflections does not change that, in fact it has nothing to do with ‘game managment’ or ‘coaching’.

When Solskjær had us beat them two years ago, it was lucky as hell and a brilliant steal, because they were the better team then by miles. Now we are unlucky with the bounce, the finishes, the refereeing and the offside line, and have outsmarted them tactically for two games. This is probably the most ridiculous game to complain about the manager after yet. He actually proves how far we have come.

But for all you who think the deflection that landed at Neymars feet after five minutes, the corner rebound that pingponged to a one millimetre onside Marquinhos, or the ability to counter a goal with Neymar and 11 vs 10 in the dying moments of the game when we throw everyone up top in a last ditch is some sort of a managerial knockout by Tuchel, I guess I’m wasting my digital ink.

MrBest

You would have sacked Fergie after 2 years
The world is very different than it was 30 years ago, including football. Using your logic, most of the UK would still care about the royal family, as they did 30 years ago or corporations would still be mass producing new plastic rather than finding solutions to the problem. The pace, the money, equipment, routines, situation are all considerably different in football when Fergie took over. What he did, i doubt will ever be repeated again, thats why he is above legendary status for me. Also, United were a mid table team back then and Fergie had natural leadership qualities that have given him worldwide recognition. Please don't compare apples with pears.

MrBest

He is not doing that bad to be fair but ofcourse today is not the day Ole outers will listen so I am not going to bother to write a huge essay.
I guess I should pass on my gratitude for not having to read more Ole loving. Thank you!

MrBest

So we play the CL finalists, and for seventy minutes they create maybe two good chances and score two goals because of lucky deflections. We score one goal due to a lucky deflection, and have a heap of good attacks, Martial, Cavani, Rashford and Bruno had six or seven chances to score between them. Solskjær managed to get us play better than Tuchel had the CL finalists play. Two deflections does not change that, in fact it has nothing to do with ‘game managment’ or ‘coaching’.

When Solskjær had us beat them two years ago, it was lucky as hell and a brilliant steal, because they were the better team then by miles. Now we are unlucky with the bounce, the finishes, the refereeing and the offside line, and have outsmarted them tactically for two games. This is probably the most ridiculous game to complain about the manager after yet. He actually proves how far we have come.

But for all you who think the deflection that landed at Neymars feet after five minutes, the corner rebound that pingponged to a one millimetre onside Marquinhos, or the ability to counter a goal with Neymar and 11 vs 10 in the dying moments of the game when we throw everyone up top in a last ditch is some sort of a managerial knockout by Tuchel, I guess I’m wasting my digital ink.
I disagree with your match opinion, Ole made several silly errors in this game. He should of closed shop after 60 mins, few subs to add energy and replaced the erratic Fred, who was playing well, but lost his head, uncharacteristically.

I do however agree with the point you eluded to, Tuchel is nothing to fear, but let's also iron out the point that PSG have degressed in the last 2 years despite a final appearance in August. They are a team with two world class forwards, a couple of very good, but aging players, Marquinos and a bunch of average overrated players. They were schooled in the final.

I would also agree that Ole has improved us over the last 24 months, but let's also throw out there, that every manager has his or her ceiling. Ole cleared out most of the trash, brought in a few good players, upskilled a couple of others in some areas but also has not forced consistency from this lot. Consistency is absolutely fundamental to being successful. He also loves a square peg in a round hole.

I am a pure Ole outter and I have been for about a year and it's not because we are not winning titles. It is because he has taken us as far as we can possibly go under him, he just does not have the ability to take us to the next level. If he did, what we see on the pitch, week in and week out would reflect that. I am not so stubborn to dismiss a very good point you made around how we played in 2020 versus 2019 against PSG, but one thing is for sure, in 25 months under him, we have no consistency, we are fragmented, game management most of the time is confusing and we don't really have an identity or brand of football. All we do is focus so much on how everyone else may or may not play against us, we have really forgotten to be Man United. What Ole says in a press conference is one thing, what we see is another. And yes, I have just been to specsavers so my eyesight is crystal.

HowYouDoin

Ole needs to be fired yesterday not cuz of loss against Paris but simply cuz like it or not he is a PE teacher for this level. Doubt any PL team would want him.
Its almost as if a certain manager is right about our 'football heritage' if we continue to stick with a PE teacher instead of a real manager. Its a joke.

Grande

I disagree with your match opinion, Ole made several silly errors in this game. He should of closed shop after 60 mins, few subs to add energy and replaced the erratic Fred, who was playing well, but lost his head, uncharacteristically.

I do however agree with the point you eluded to, Tuchel is nothing to fear, but let's also iron out the point that PSG have degressed in the last 2 years despite a final appearance in August. They are a team with two world class forwards, a couple of very good, but aging players, Marquinos and a bunch of average overrated players. They were schooled in the final.

I would also agree that Ole has improved us over the last 24 months, but let's also throw out there, that every manager has his or her ceiling. Ole cleared out most of the trash, brought in a few good players, upskilled a couple of others in some areas but also has not forced consistency from this lot. Consistency is absolutely fundamental to being successful. He also loves a square peg in a round hole.

I am a pure Ole outter and I have been for about a year and it's not because we are not winning titles. It is because he has taken us as far as we can possibly go under him, he just does not have the ability to take us to the next level. If he did, what we see on the pitch, week in and week out would reflect that. I am not so stubborn to dismiss a very good point you made around how we played in 2020 versus 2019 against PSG, but one thing is for sure, in 25 months under him, we have no consistency, we are fragmented, game management most of the time is confusing and we don't really have an identity or brand of football. All we do is focus so much on how everyone else may or may not play against us, we have really forgotten to be Man United. What Ole says in a press conference is one thing, what we see is another. And yes, I have just been to specsavers so my eyesight is crystal.
You would have had a point if PSG where countering us to death. Quite the opposite, until Fred saw red, we had control of the counters, and it was rather we who came within margins of killing the match several times. ‘Closing the game’ Would rather have invited more of the corners and pinballery that they actually did score from, so his strategy looked more sound than yours in this instance.

You grossly underestimate both Thomas Tuchel and PSG. I’m curious as to how many teams you think played better than them in the CL last season, where they lost by one goal (shots 10-12/2-3) against the team that won the treble, beat Barca 8-2 and were acclimed one of the best winners in years.

Ole may have his ceiling, but as long as results continue to improve, and play continue to improve, we don’t know where that ceiling is. And this was certainly not the match to prove that point with, quite thecontrary.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
With Mourinho, Pep and Klopp being out of the picture, are there better options out there than Ole? Maybe. I don't know. None of us do.

What I do know is that this team is not good enough to achieve long term success. Not with this attack. Not with only one top class player in the entire squad. Relative to his players, Ole is doing just fine as far as I'm concerned. I also like to watch our football when we click. And I like that our manager isn't a total mess when dealing with the media.

PL and CL trophies are ultimately the most important part, but to get there we need the right foundations. I know that we don't have the players for this. I don't know if the coach is a problem. Therefore I choose to focus on the former of the two. At least until our results are worse than what our squad reflects.
:lol:

Can the mods please tag this user with such a brilliant statement . You really think Ole is the fourth best manager in world football? :lol: I have seen some horrible post and a whole lot of delusional post, but this one has to be up there.

blemis

Supports
spurs
Bunch of hypocrites! We played good football and should have won. Seems goalposts keep moving, and pants can’t take a defeat. So many of you, and you included have been saying exactly this. “If we could see what he is trying to do” Well, you just saw it. We went for it, against a better team, off falling soft pants. Hypocrites and pants.

“Not our day, but we are still in this”
Paul Pogba

Pants!

I’m out of posts “Grande”. But, exactly! I haven’t seen a goal like theirs since I played ping pong. And we still went for it!
Problem is you don't have to play a good football today.Park the bus, keep it tight and get the job done, 1 point is enough to get you through and Ole doesn't understand that, he is a FIFA manager who played for entertainment not for results.

Foxbatt

Can the mods please tag this user with such a brilliant statement . You really think Ole is the fourth best manager in world football? :lol: I have seen some horrible post and a whole lot of delusional post, but this one has to be up there.
Top of my head `I can say Biesla, Naggleman, Rose and even Hasenhüttl is better as a coach than Ole. Of course then you have Jose too. I personally do not want Poch at United. I think he is more hype that he is .

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I’m still Ole in but less enthusiastic about it than I was previously. One thing that worries me is that he’s not getting the consistency from the team. He’s done very well with the rebuild so far but I wonder if he can go into the the next phase and actually challenge for trophies.

Micky Targaryen

Been noticing his posts from time to time. Could clearly see that he’s trying his best to be objective in every post but every once in a while , his blatant bias for Ole just tends to pop up. How anyone can even consider Ole to be anywhere near fourth best is incredible.

Laphroaig

Are we blaming Solskjær for Martial missing two open goals and horrendous refereeing mistakes today, is that it?

(Nah, he probably should've taken Fred off before the referee's brainfart, I agree. But we can't blame the manager for the players not winning this game.)

Son

Watch Oles post match interview on Fred, and crawl back into your holes.. Fotball has never been an exact science, and never will be. But at least we have honour and honesty! And a spine.

If Paris want to be pants and fall over every time someone says their name, all on them. Wonder why they never win anything outside France.
What have we won recently? How many Champions League finals have we got to? I hate Paris but we are throwing stones from glass houses recently.

Truth be told we haven't won enough European Cups for a club our size so we historically mess it up too more often than not.

UDontMessWith24

Very first sentence is a complete spin as they're nowhere near as good as they were in the knockout stages last season. After our slew of missed chances, the side completely lost its shape and the match became very stretched. It is rudimentary in game management to understand we need our shape back and a sub as the match was becoming chaotic and they were looking consistently dangerous for the first time. He did absolutely nothing until we conceded a goal and a player was sent off. This is professional football at the highest level you can't lose all shape and discipline around the hour mark because you've missed some chances. This is where strong leadership comes into play, and leadership failed big time here.

UDontMessWith24

What have we won recently? How many Champions League finals have we got to? I hate Paris but we are throwing stones from glass houses recently.

Truth be told we haven't won enough European Cups for a club our size so we historically mess it up too more often than not.
That and why is their "lack of honor" supposed to be some kind of vindication for a manager who lost control of the match?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Bad luck!

You easily had enough chances and played well enough to draw if not win that. I think it's very easy with hindsight and quite harsh to say everyone knew Fred should have come off at half time, I'm sure if he had and you'd lost then Ole would have taken a hammering for that as well. Cavani and Martial both came very close and on another night you'd be walking away with the right result. I thought you looked the better team for a lot of the game especially the second half upto the sending off and even after that you played some quick attacking football. To be fair Fred should have been given a straight red in the first half and certainly should not have got a yellow for that tackle in the second, but that's football.

If I were to criticise Ole, I think the only fair thing to get him on was not trying to contain the game a bit earlier, instead I think you had the mindset to keep pushing for that second goal, once you conceded and went down to 10 men at pretty much the same time, that chance was lost and he had to gamble hence Pogba, VdB, Greenwood and Ighalo. Maybe Matic could have come on for Fred at the hour mark to manage the game a bit better, but again hindsight makes decisions like this very easy!

Nash27

Ole is inept because he did not pull fred off is a stupid argument. If fred had not been sent off does that mean ole is the best manager in the world for sticking with him? It is really easy to talk in hindsight especially when the player in question is vital to what we do in midfield. I can understand why fred stayed on. Cant put this on ole for me. We played well and unlucky to lose. Draw would have been fair.

Reactions: Cheimoon

croadyman

Ole is inept because he did not pull fred off is a stupid argument. If fred had not been sent off does that mean ole is the best manager in the world for sticking with him? It is really easy to talk in hindsight especially when the player in question is vital to what we do in midfield. I can understand why fred stayed on. Cant put this on ole for me. We played well and unlucky to lose. Draw would have been fair.
Wouldn't matter so much if we hadn't put in such a gutless performance against the weakest team in the group

ash_86

Wouldn't matter so much if we hadn't put in such a gutless performance against the weakest team in the group
That might come to bite us in our backisde but tbf that match looked like an anomaly. We've been quite good in rest of the Cl matches.

ProEleven

Supports
Everton
Ole's Manchester United has lost only 3 league games since February. This is the second least in Europe. Only Bayern Munich have lost less.

NO NEED TO SACK HIM :cool:

el3mel

It was a gamble from him and it backfired, so of course he should be criticized for it. He also should be criticized for leaving Martial on the pitch while being in terrible form.

Just suddenly remembering in the last minute he has another striker in Ighalo to try just shows Ole was absolutely out of his depth in this game in terms of management. He really didn't know what he was doing.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
I think judging OGS on CL performances is very harsh. The man couldn't win the second grade European comp which a third grade manager like Mourinho won. We are in the comp which is good. Let's leave it at that.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron

You’re mostly spot on with your analysis but some of those you’re debating with are not interested in any criticism against their favorite manager or what’s best for Manchester United F.C.

Do I think a competent manager can do more with this group of players. Yes. 100%!

At this level against the very best the difference between being a good or being a great manager is the ability to avoid too many silly mistakes and be active instead of being reactive. Yesterday was a good example of what you get with having a inactive leader who don’t have the vision to see what’s going on and is to slow to react to things that is in his control.

I don’t dismiss all the good things Ole is doing. He move the club forward but he often don’t know where to go and that’s why he has these setbacks whenever United have a chance to take the final step.

He will probably end this season as our manager but if the club have any serious ambition to compete with the very best clubs we need to move on and hire someone with a more distinct winning mentality who have the competence to be more pro active whenever it’s necessary.

padzilla

Hipster
He's not going anywhere anytime soon, the board loves him and he has got some big results for us in recent years. We have to accept we are not the club of years gone by that only accepted elite level performances. Nowadays we are happy to get the odd big result and keep ticking along.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Hope the journos run stories that Ole is to be sacked if we don't progress from the Group Stage of CL. This should help us get a win at Leipzig.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
In my opinion the writing is quite clear on the wall. Ole is a half decent manager, he's slowly improving, his heart is in the right place, he understands the club BUT he's not good enough. We can either try to make it work by surrounding him with experience (DOF, coaches etc) or else we have to let him and the army of inexperienced boy scouts he surrounded himself with go.

edgecutter

You can blame Ole for a lot of things, but not on players confidence. And how are him wasting talent by developing it? Rashford, Greenwood and even Martial had their best season last season. They are still young and learning.
Isn't martial 25? Rashford hasn't really kicked on and with the amount of injuries he plays through because of ole constantly selecting him, I can see his career being very short.

Blood Mage

This experiment has run it's course and if we lose to West Ham and get dumped out of our CL group by Leipzig next week then there's surely no way back for him. Just watch him wriggle out of yet another hole with two wins now though.

edgecutter

I am sick of seeing posts about how 'great' psg are and that we were unlucky. We played a psg side that has Moise Kean starting for them! The same Kean that wasn't good enough for Everton. This PSG side is nothing special.

RkkMan

What annoyed me was not just refusing to take off Fred but from circa the 60th min mark any man and his dog could see changes needed to be made to refresh the team and change the dynamics of the game as the game was there for the taking and this loss was very avoidable. This is exactly what Tuchel did and it won the game instead Ole still banked on luck to bail him out and it took a worst case scenario situation for him to make a change at a time the game was already won and its why he`ll NEVER get my full backing. For ever good decision like Southampton there`s usually a costly bad decision followed and I find it laughable anyone is still making excuses for him

RkkMan

You would have had a point if PSG where countering us to death. Quite the opposite, until Fred saw red, we had control of the counters, and it was rather we who came within margins of killing the match several times. ‘Closing the game’ Would rather have invited more of the corners and pinballery that they actually did score from, so his strategy looked more sound than yours in this instance.

You grossly underestimate both Thomas Tuchel and PSG. I’m curious as to how many teams you think played better than them in the CL last season, where they lost by one goal (shots 10-12/2-3) against the team that won the treble, beat Barca 8-2 and were acclimed one of the best winners in years.

Ole may have his ceiling, but as long as results continue to improve, and play continue to improve, we don’t know where that ceiling is. And this was certainly not the match to prove that point with, quite thecontrary.
You`re grossly overestimating Tuchel(whom Ole has beaten twice) and PSG(who have Moise Kean as their starting ST) if they were seriously dominating us yesterday then you could say its a game we were unlikely to win but the loss was VERY avoidable if we showed a shred of tactical competency and its why Ole will never be good enough to manage us at this level for every good decision there`s always a comically bad one

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
There is no telling whether Fred being subbed off or not getting the 2nd yellow means we will even get a draw. We already 2-1 down a minute before he came off anyway and Tuchel could easily play defensive even with 11 v 11. The missing chances was what cost us. We had chances to make it 2-1 for us to take a lead in safe position but our attackers let us down.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
And that's exactly what I meant by the killer goal. Get the goal and we are safe and hence I called it as a Killer goal. We do have one game remaining.

Now even if we win, it won't guarantee the top spot
I don't think that's on Ole though. He had us create more open chances today than we did in Paris. The only obvious gripe is not taking Fred on, which he was humble enough to agree on after the game it seems. But he's right in saying PSG were also there for the taking, our strikers really should have taken the chances.

It's OK being in the position we are, on balance. If someone told us that we would only need a point in the final game away to Leipzig to qualify, we'd have taken it. That suggests Ole has done a decent job in the group so far. He's fecked up against Istanbul sure but still had other big wins

LUC1f3R

I am not a fan of Ole as a manager but I am not shouting #Ole_out just because of last match. What is clearly alarming is the support Ole is getting to the point that some fans are not acknowledging his mistakes and saying Ole will get it right (It has been 2 years already). In my opinion, if a manager makes mistakes, it should be talked about rather than just blindly backing him. I love Ole as a footballer but not so much as a manager. And please don't make former be the reason for later.
In his post match interview, Ole said that we lost only due to our poor finishing. But PSG also had chances even before Fred got send off. In the mid game, sure we were better but football is a game of 90 min.
And I'm sure any other manager would have taken out Fred at HT. He escaped a red in first half and it was sure that the ref would have given him a second yellow if he had made any mistakes. And we were playing Neymar and Mbappe. He should have brought in VDB who could defend and also transition to attack. (Plus we had McT for the hard work already)
The Rashford goal was huge luck and if anyone has to complain about hard luck it should be PSG
Cavani played good but he was devoid of any proper supply bar that shot that hit post. Martial was wasteful and he should have been replaced.
I don't understand why Ole wait till late game to make subs, when it was clearly evident (funny thing is even Fernandes was signaling for substitution from bench seeing our play) and he subbed out Cavani and kept just Greenwood and Ighalo (don't remember when he last played). Greenwood was crowded and intimidated by PSG players late game.

My humble request to those fans who blindly support Ole is just to take a few moment and reflect whether he is the right man? I agree changing managers frequently is not good but whether the progression we made is enough???? (Pls don't compare to Klopp bcoz Liv had a gameplan by 2 years but can you say we have one other than counterattack???)
Ole is good but we need better.
P.S - this is not a kneejerk reaction, It's always the same, we play real good for few games and then lose when it matters (we bloody need some consistency) and in my opinion it was more of individual brilliance of our players that won us the games than Ole's tactics.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Only got to see the match sporadically because the boy kept waking up and the missus was not home :mad:, its clear Ole needs to take blame for keeping Fred on, but the people claiming its a sackable offence needs to chill a bit. We were neck and neck with last years CL finalist, and this time with a fit team and the thing separating us was personal errors from both players and staff

Midfielders often gets yellow so its not like its some unwritten rule you have to haul them off every time they get booked. In this case though he should have done so but as i said, you dont have to sub someone who is on a yellow

Ultimately what cost us last night was our inability to put away our chances

NoPace

I'm a sack Ole guy because I think there are better managers out there, and he should have obviously taken off one of his two defensive mids he basically set out to tackle and win the ball once he'd lost it mentally.

PSG were there for the taking with their defenders in particular scared to push up the pitch because our of speed in behind, making it relatively easy to move the ball up the pitch (particularly on counters) and so even more of reason to put on Van De Beek for Fred.

But I kind of felt like he mostly did set out the right team and Maguire finally looks right and Telles, Bruno and Cavani just look like quality players who should be in CL knockout games or fighting for a title, so I don't feel like a team with a bad manager after watching that game. Martial and Rashford out wide look comfortable and Rashford especially has taken to playing on what you'd figure would be his least dangerous position in a front 3.

That said, we have an even goal difference in the Prem and it's tough not to watch squads like Leeds and Southampton and see teams playing an aggressive, eye-catching and both defined but still tweakable and versatile style (Hassenhuttl could tinker with formation and still run that press as we've seen with Klopp and others and Bielsa would play 3 at the back way more if he had the squad for it) with some average players they have playing as well as they can (there isn't some better Stuart Armstrong or Luke Ayling season, this is feck off peak of their careers for those guys) and wish they were unlocking Pogba or turning Dan James into a more effective player than 95% of managers by just pointing his pace and energy in a clear system. Bruno suits both well, too, as Bielsa plays with 3 in midfield and often uses a 10 type and Hassenhuttl would presumably play Bruno narrow from the left which would suit him fine cutting in and he'd have 2 strikers ahead of him to aim at.

So yeah, I'd hire someone else doing a better job or I bet if I had time to watch and interview them I'd hire some hipster coach like the guy at Slavia Praha or that guy winning everything in Ecuador the Athletic says coaches like Pep or someone else who seems to have the temperament and isn't some asshole who everyone at the club hates and whose tactics look not only effective and innovative but the best fit for the players I think of as our core for the next 3-5 years.

To me that's Rashford, Greenwood, Diallo (some people say the best prospect in Serie A and you can just see the bags of potential from how well he moves and measures a pass), Bruno, Van De Beek, Telles, Maguire and somehow both De Gea and Henderson and probably James, McTominay and Wan-Bissaka if we're including non first XI locks but have obvious squad and tactical strengths and should be in our 20ish guys who play a ton).

Midfielders often gets yellow so its not like its some unwritten rule you have to haul them off every time they get booked. In this case though he should have done so but as i said, you dont have to sub someone who is on a yellow
Absolutely Bob, but last night wasn’t a midfielder on a regular yellow, it was a midfielder on a tightrope. One 90% of refs would’ve sent off.

Ultimately what cost us last night was our inability to put away our chances
No doubt, the big Martial chance especially.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Absolutely Bob, but last night wasn’t a midfielder on a regular yellow, it was a midfielder on a tightrope. One 90% of refs would’ve sent off.

No doubt, the big Martial chance especially.
Yeah, as i said, last night he should have been subbed for VdB at HT and he really was lucky not to be sent off before that. Fred was one of our best players though so i understand why he kept him on, though in hindsight it bit us in the arse.

PSG are cnuts though. They should have had about 4 sending offs in their last match vs Leipzig for their nasty challanges and when you combine that with the fact they are playacting like cnuts and a soulless oil club

Status
Not open for further replies.