Would you sack or keep Ole? (Poll reopened)

Sack or Keep OLE?

• Sack Ole & appoint new coach ASAP

• Keep Ole & back him to finish rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasolin

Either you are missing the point completely or just acting that way..
Spurs, City and Liverpool threw everything to win while we didn't.
You know what? Let's see if Spurs and Liverpool are going to try to beat City and do it, or not.
We already know City didn't want it since they put Fernandinho and Rodri.

City against Liverpool at home?
Rodri and Gundogan for City while Liverpool always has Henderson and Wijnaldum, their workhorse midfielders...
Draw at the end.

I am curious to see how Spurs will set up against City and "try" to win this, and if they will get better than the draw.

el3mel

You know what? Let's see if Spurs and Liverpool are going to try to beat City and do it, or not.
We already know City didn't want it since they put Fernandinho and Rodri.

City against Liverpool at home?
Rodri and Gundogan for City while Liverpool always has Henderson and Wijnaldum, their workhorse midfielders...
Draw at the end.

I am curious to see how Spurs will set up against City and "try" to win this, and if they will get better than the draw.
Spurs already defeated City mate.

Gasolin

The Problem is all those goals are from counter attacking or moments of individual brilliance or luck or wrong VAR decisions. Even Garry bloody Neville has admitted that Ole has no clue how to attack. All Ole knows is sit back defend ruin the other team's game and hope to score on the counter or by luck.
So my understanding is that we have 4 goals from counter attacks.
I don't think it's a big deal, but OK. If anything, it's the SAF style to counter them when it hurts.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/goal_fastbreak

We have 19 goals. So 21% counter attack.

Liverpool is 1/27 = 4%, Chelsea is 2/25 = 8%, Spurs is 3/24 = 12.5%. City is 0/17 = 0%.

Penalties. We have 3. So 3/19 = 16%, which means that we score 84% of our goals from non penalties.

Liverpool is 5/27 = 18.5% or 81.5% non penalties.
Chelsea is 3/25 = 12% or 88% non penalties.
Spurs is 2/24 = 8% or 92% non penalties.
City is 2/17 = 12% or 88% non penalties.

What makes you think that we are doing anything wrong in the league right now, except for those 3 defeats of which 2 were due to the lack of preseason?
If anything, we are continuing the trend that has been going on since a year, which is that we gather a lot of pts and score the majority of goals from non penalties.

Gasolin

Fair enough, I completely forgot that game. Spurs at home with 33% possession, 4 shots, 2 on target, but 2 goals. City had 67% possession, 22 shots, 5 on target.
We played like that last year I think. And won 3 out of 4.

In that Spurs game, Pep didn't fear Jose, he didn't put 2 DM but only Rodri. It was Bernardo Silva and De Bruyne.

Yes they got 3 pts, and we did against them when they played with 1 DM only, but would you take that?
Or would you take a possession of 46%, 11 shots and 2 on target vs 54%, 9 shots and 2 on target?

Basically, if you have to choose, what do you choose?
Of course results matter. But if somehow we managed to win with 33% possession (though with 2 DM, it was unlikely it would happen easily), would you take that? Or would you then slam Ole for being a clueless manager again, who can only counter attack?

For completeness, I took a look at our games against them last season.

League game home 2-0 W
27% possession, 12 shots, 6 on target VS 73% possession, 7 shots, 4 on target

EFL 2nd leg away 0-1 W
61% possession, 13 shots, 4 on target VS 39% possession, 6 shots, 2 on target

EFL 1st leg home 1-3 L
43% possession, 8 shots, 3 on target VS 57% possession, 15 shots, 5 on target

League game away 1-2 W
72% possession, 22 shots, 5 on target VS 28% possession, 11 shots, 7 on target

My understanding is that last year, we beat them by playing similarly to Jose, but even then, in the league, we shot 10+ and 6+ on target, hence the goals.
But when we tried to control the ball, because we didn't have the players for it, we got destroyed.

This year, we are matching a bit more. It means we had the players for it, and the ability to control better. But the offensive output was not as clinical as it should have been.

So again, which one would you take if you have to choose?

Last edited:

el3mel

Fair enough, I completely forgot that game. Spurs at home with 33% possession, 4 shots, 2 on target, but 2 goals. City had 67% possession, 22 shots, 5 on target.
We played like that last year I think. And won 3 out of 4.

In that Spurs game, Pep didn't fear Jose, he didn't put 2 DM but only Rodri. It was Bernardo Silva and De Bruyne.

Yes they got 3 pts, and we did against them when they played with 1 DM only, but would you take that?
Or would you take a possession of 46%, 11 shots and 2 on target vs 54%, 9 shots and 2 on target?

Basically, if you have to choose, what do you choose?
Of course results matter. But if somehow we managed to win with 33% possession (though with 2 DM, it was unlikely it would happen easily), would you take that? Or would you then slam Ole for being a clueless manager again, who can only counter attack?
Spurs scored a goal in the first 5 minutes. They had nothing else to do in the rest of the game than to contain City and open spaces for counter, which worked for their second goal. They had no reason to control possession or attack anymore. City were the losing team for 85 minutes of the game. Beside, City absolutely did nothing in this game if you watched it, too much possession but didn't threaten Spurs at all. They were in full control of the situation despite defending for most of the game.

The catch is, this City team isn't really as good with the ball as it was 2 years ago. Against Spurs they were useless with possession and did nothing with it. Against us as well they created probably 2 chances? Despite controlling the ball most of time.

People are extremely overrating them based on their past form, but since last year they have been about above average. We should have defeated them. Some more pressure on their defense and we could have scored. We didn't do that. We didn't even open spaces for counter. We seemed totally fine with a draw as well. Now I really don't care at all about what Pep wanted from the game, but this City is extremely beatable and with little more efforts we would have defeated them again no problem.

I hope people stop overrating them because this isn't the same City who won the 2 league titles in a row. The form has dropped a lot since then.

Gasolin

Spurs scored a goal in the first 5 minutes. They had nothing else to do in the rest of the game than to contain City and open spaces for counter, which worked for their second goal. They had no reason to control possession or attack anymore. City were the losing team for 85 minutes of the game. Beside, City absolutely did nothing in this game if you watched it, too much possession but didn't threaten Spurs at all. They were in full control of the situation despite defending for most of the game.

The catch is, this City team isn't really as good with the ball as it was 2 years ago. Against Spurs they were useless with possession and did nothing with it. Against us as well they created probably 2 chances? Despite controlling the ball most of time.

People are extremely overrating them based on their past form, but since last year they have been about above average. We should have defeated them. Some more pressure on their defense and we could have scored. We didn't do that. We didn't even open spaces for counter. We seemed totally fine with a draw as well. Now I really don't care at all about what Pep wanted from the game, but this City is extremely beatable and with little more efforts we would have defeated them again no problem.

I hope people stop overrating them because this isn't the same City who won the 2 league titles in a row. The form has dropped a lot since then.
That's debatable but I agree one can think that way. Now every team is beatable today.

Micky Targaryen

I've seen it all now. People are actually trying to defend Ole's decision to play it safe against City, our bitter derby rivals. Personally, we should and always go for it in a derby, no matter the circumstances. And to make matters worse, City are in a shitty form at the moment, so why shouldn't we capitalize on that? Have we regressed to being a small club? Do we now view City as superior that we have to play safe against them? Are we now the noisy neighbour?

And the icing on the cake, people are actually defending the friendly post match scenes during the derby. :houllier: I'm not asking them to start a brawl or hate the opponent's guts, but where the feck is that fire, that disappointment after a draw, where is that winning mentality at? Imagine the scenes here if we have all this shite during Fergie's time.

You guys absolutely love comparing Ole and Fergie, because apparently they both need time etc. Maybe it's just me, I don't see any iota of resemblance at all.

And to the sarcastic Ole inners, yeah we do like to repeat the same points over again because we are being served the same shite over again. Over to you, do you guys have any fresh new material to keep Ole?

jamesjimmybyrondean

I bet when we get a DM and CB there would still be people saying we can't win the title because Liverpool or City or Chelsea have a better squad than us. And that's the problem as it is true if Ole is our manager. These teams in the coming seasons are still likely to have a more superior squad than us like they do now but managers are there to elevate the squad past their assumed capabilities. Ole hasn't shown he can do that. We can't wait till we have the better team compared to the other 19 before we have a chance to win the league and we'd be wasting time with Ole in doing so because that won't happen.

Seeing how open the league is this season Ole would do well and give me hope if he can get us in a serious conversation of winning the league. Anything less than that will only add to my belief that Ole can only succeed if he has a superior team to the other 19 which is not possible under our board

Eddy_JukeZ

It's insane how overrated City are on this forum by some posters.

They're nowhere near as good as they were in 2018.

Our home form against the top 6 thus far has been nothing short of embarrassing.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Agree.
Agree.

We are taking steps forwards with Ole?
If you're talking about last season then sure, that's acceptable.

Is it still steps forwards now?
Looks more like we're playing around alternately moving up 1 step and down another 1 step, stuck within 3 steps.
Never progress anymore and so far never stoop down much.

Ole is a safe choice, a safety blanket no doubt.
Is that enough? We've seen from other top clubs content fully satisfied at remaining at eg. top 4, then over time they gradually fall and fall down.

Accepting more and more low standards just like the manager?
He literally enjoy and accept the recent Derby draw game for feck sake.

I do get the fear of changing manager may make it worse. It could also be the opposite - more successes. Nothing is a guarantee as you know. If we plan properly, then we don't need to fear in making good calculated changes. Alas, ours are not really reliable. One thing for sure, making changes is the common step to try and be better. If the new change is bad, then simply make another changes. Simple concept. Plenty of other top clubs that run well i.e. have good plannings constantly change managers and get both successes and failures along. Every club goes through this anyway - up and down. The best clubs dare to adapt and make good calculated risks. Ours unfortunately don't and looking likely to remain with the incompetency at the tops. The least they can do is try new coaches no?
Where did this idea come from that people are happy with top 4? I want to win the damn league, but so does every other team and fan on the planet and i realize that right now we are not favorites.

That comment Ole had after the game was weird, i agree. Did he forget about Etihad last year? That's Oles MO though, he tries to put a positive spin on things to the press and at times be blurts out something that sounds a bit daft. I'd take that over Jose spewing venom any day though.

And that boded part is not a simple concept, not in our case anyway. Considering we still lack a DoF, that means the only continuity comes from Ed and Judge, which is not very encouraging thought. The big clubs who keep on chopping and changing can do so because they have an established ethos and philosophy

Gomes

It's insane how overrated City are on this forum by some posters.

They're nowhere near as good as they were in 2018.

Our home form against the top 6 thus far has been nothing short of embarrassing.
Nobody actually rates City. These are the same people who thought that finishing second behind an actual good City team was unacceptable.

Longshanks

The thing is what let us down is a lack of composure in the final third. Examples:
Bruno misplacing a simple through ball to rashford
Pogbas finish when well placed in the box
Greenwood falling over and still attempting a shot when he should of squared it to rashford who was unmarked on the penalty spot
Rashford failing to gather bruno's through ball late in second half
Bruno having a horrible touch when well placed for a shot

That's just five examples there are others from the same game, Ole was right in his assessment of it being the best performance in a derby, certainly in terms of control and possession, we got quite lucky in both league games last season hanging on for dear life in both of them and Ederson made poor mistakes for both our goals in the home game.

It's clear that Ole wants us to have more control in the big games and not just be defending holding on and hoping for a chance on the counter, it's the right way to go we just need our forward line to actually turn up in one of these games.

Gasolin

Nobody actually rates City. These are the same people who thought that finishing second behind an actual good City team was unacceptable.
Are we talking about the 19 pts gap?
Well, we will see how far we will be this season, right? So far it's not 19 pts at all, more like 5 pts with a game in hand.

But it is true that at MD 11, we were "only" 8 pts behind City at that time with Jose, though no game in hand. Same for MD 12.
The gap widened at MD 16 to 11 pts, and at MD 19 to 13 pts.

So let's see how it goes on MD 19. We can compare to the top.
And nobody cares about City being this or that, it's still a contextual league. None of our league titles get dismissed because of the # of pts.

And we could be in trouble, or we could be in a very good position. We will see.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Now I really don't care at all about what Pep wanted from the game, but this City is extremely beatable and with little more efforts we would have defeated them again no problem.
While I don't disagree that City are not the threat they were 2 years ago, they are still without a doubt one of the best teams in the country, have some of the best players in Europe and one of the best coaches in the world. To say you should have defeated them, no problem is a bit harsh on Utd and Ole. A draw is without a doubt a good result against them.

Flexdegea

Most fans want to keep him because they are happy being a 4-6th yo-yo club going in circles.

We’ll win nothing under Ole. We could win the title this season if we sacked him. Won’t happen though. We’ll stick with him & finish between 3rd/6th, win no silverware & fans will be calling it a great season.

What has happened to my once great club?
Never quite understand these sort of posts.

No one just happy settling for 4th spot. It's more people don't think we have the squad of team capable of the title right now. So if we can finish high in league, show so improvement into next season and maybe win a cup that be a good season. It's not a case of standards dropping, it's just being realistic at where we been since fergie went. We literally done f##k all in 8 years.

But you in the other hand seem to think we do have the squad and team to win it. You are are either massively overrating our squad to have a pop at the manager or genuinely believe that. Other side of the coin some people prob think you are being deluded.

Never quite understand these sort of posts.

No one just happy settling for 4th spot. It's more people don't think we have the squad of team capable of the title right now. So if we can finish high in league, show so improvement into next season and maybe win a cup that be a good season. It's not a case of standards dropping, it's just being realistic at where we been since fergie went. We literally done f##k all in 8 years.

But you in the other hand seem to think we do have the squad and team to win it. You are are either massively overrating our squad to have a pop at the manager or genuinely believe that. Other side of the coin some people prob think you are being deluded.
Top managers can get teams challenging without having the best squad in the league, at the end of the day, if there’s only 2 better squads, you only play them twice. That’s 4 games.

Our problem since Mourinho’s second season is that too often, we don’t beat the sides we clearly have better squads than. 66 points for 2 seasons running, currently on course for 69 points.

I mean, if we get a galactico squad, no doubt we’ll do better.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Why not just wait to see how things go from here? As we speak we are in the title run conversation. That can change quickly of course but it hasn't yet. We've just come off of a 13 from 15 point run. If we can get another 10 from 12 this month we are very much in a title race.

matsdf

We can beat any team in world at the moment. And we can beat them deservedly. Bar a short spell under LvG, this is the first time I can say this since SAF retired. Sure Ole might not be the right man for the job, but compare our matches against PSG this season, to the season he took charge, the difference is quite clear.

Water Melon

We can beat any team in world at the moment. And we can beat them deservedly. Bar a short spell under LvG, this is the first time I can say this since SAF retired. Sure Ole might not be the right man for the job, but compare our matches against PSG this season, to the season he took charge, the difference is quite clear.
We can also lose to any team in the world and we can lose deservedly.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Is there better managers then Solskjaer? Yes.
Is it a guraantee for that manager to be better than Solskjaer? No.

So as long as we are taking steps forward we should stand by our team.

I just hope that people here can celebrate winning league soon.
Is it a guarantee that Sancho is better option than James/Greenwood?
Is it a guarantee that Upamecano is better option than Lindelof/Maguire/Bailly?
Is it a guarantee that any new player would be better than what we have?

Problem is that we are not taking steps forward. We are going back. And we need a change soon as possible. We have excellent squad with which good manager can and would do much better than failed Cardiff manager is doing.

troylocker

Spurs sat back and absorbed City for 90 minutes and scored on both their 2 shots on target, 4 shots total. While Spurs early goal dictated the gamedynamics a lot, City dominated them from start to finish, but couldn't find a way to score. Spurs played antifootball against City, Arsenal and Chelsea, two of them at home. They are a bunch of busparkers with Kane and Son in form to score them a goal or two. Nothing more! They defend well, I'll give them that, but I'll rather watch grass grow....

I agree we didn't play as agressive and direct as I would like us to do against City though. You could tell that none of the teams could afford a loss...

I think will build some momentum in the next few matches, and I look forward to see how the table looks when we take on Liverpool in mid January.

Matt851

Very true. Also, it seems our counter attacking approach in big games has been worked out somewhat. Of the last 6 games against big 6 pl sides, we have drawn 3 and lost 3. Not exactly impressive

Matt851

Spurs sat back and absorbed City for 90 minutes and scored on both their 2 shots on target, 4 shots total. While Spurs early goal dictated the gamedynamics a lot, City dominated them from start to finish, but couldn't find a way to score. Spurs played antifootball against City, Arsenal and Chelsea, two of them at home. They are a bunch of busparkers with Kane and Son in form to score them a goal or two. Nothing more! They defend well, I'll give them that, but I'll rather watch grass grow....

I agree we didn't play as agressive and direct as I would like us to do against City though. You could tell that none of the teams could afford a loss...

I think will build some momentum in the next few matches, and I look forward to see how the table looks when we take on Liverpool in mid January.
Lets face it, we parked the bus against city and against chelsea

Flexdegea

Top managers can get teams challenging without having the best squad in the league, at the end of the day, if there’s only 2 better squads, you only play them twice. That’s 4 games.

Our problem since Mourinho’s second season is that too often, we don’t beat the sides we clearly have better squads than. 66 points for 2 seasons running, currently on course for 69 points.

I mean, if we get a galactico squad, no doubt we’ll do better.

We are challenging in my opinion. Been big improvements in league performance this year.

Point i'm saying is who these managers we can suddenly bring in right now that would suit what we are trying to build on at the moment, and then you are into areas of will it work, and if your uncle had no balls he be your aunt.

It's scatter gun planning again.

Everything a gamble, and I keep stressing Ole currently isn't under threat of leaving. Far from it. Players 100% playing for him.

troylocker

Problem is that we are not taking steps forward. We are going back. And we need a change soon as possible. We have excellent squad with which good manager can and would do much better than failed Cardiff manager is doing.
On the Right? Yes!
No, but would he add depth in quality in the CB position? Yes!
If you aim high enough? Buy world class and you will. Do I like that we would take a chance on the hottest talents? Yes! No guarantee there though.

We are taking steps though, especially going forward. I also think we have shown that we are very strong mentally this season. I agree we have been looking shaky in defence this season. We are giving our opponents way to much room on the flanks and on the back post on crosses, while also conceding to many from corners. Could also mention that there is no excuse for not being screwed on when the matches starts.
The failed Cardiff manager term is lazy and embarrassing.

I still want to see this season out and evaluate in the summer.

jamesjimmybyrondean

How are we going back?

troylocker

Lets face it, we parked the bus against city and against chelsea
Spurs - City:
Possession 33-66
Shots 4-22

Spurs - Chelsea:
Possession 40-60
Shots 6-12

Spurs - Arsenal:
Possession 30-70
Shots 5-11

Us - Chelsea:
Possession 51-49
Shots 14-6

Us - City:
Possession 46-54
Shots 11-9

Please explain to me how our bus parking can be compared to Spurs?
We didn't go all in on the breaks, but we did not just sit back and absorb.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Damn, even when we're not playing this thread grows by almost 10 pages a day!

Ole living rent free in some posters' heads.
Not really surprising. For every positive thing Ole does he follows it up with a negative which is why the fan base is still so split and the thread keeps growing.

Becks00

Yes but that's more a case of us underperforming. The point the poster was making was if the team perform to the capabilities we all believe this current squad can, then there isn't many team we can't beat deservedly.

jamesjimmybyrondean

On the Right? Yes!
If you aim high enough? Buy world class and you will. Do I like that we would take a chance on the hottest talents? Yes! No guarantee there though.

We are taking steps though, especially going forward. I also think we have shown that we are very strong mentally this season. I agree we have been looking shaky in defence this season. We are giving our opponents way to much room on the flanks and on the back post on crosses, while also conceding to many from corners. Could also mention that there is no excuse for not being screwed on when the matches starts.

I'd say it's more of an underdog mentality. Which we've had for a few years now.

Mainoldo

... wait.

Wouldn’t you want us to spunk another few hundred mill, build the best team in the world, and win a trophy?

If that’s our plan, I’m all aboard.
No because he’ll probably still fail with the best team in the league. He’ll pick McTominay and Maguire.

Skåre Willoch

No because he’ll probably still fail with the best team in the league. He’ll pick McTominay and Maguire.
And if he does, of course he should get the sack.
But the premise he brought up was building the best side in the world and winning a trophy. I don't get how that's supposed to be a negative? Isn't that what we're all hoping for?!
But of course it was a fake argument countered with "but it won't happen", and that was the intention all along.

"Haha, Ole-inners hoping we build the best side in the world and lift a trophy".

Turn it around, then.

"Haha, Ole-outers hoping we sack Ole, bring in a world class manager, build the best side in the world and lift a trophy. Like that would ever happen."

Dr. StrangeHate

On the Right? Yes!

Why don't we wait till the end of the season to see if Greenwood can be better on the right and not relegate Greenwood to the bench?
Tuanzebe already gives us that depth in quality.
Why don't we aim high enough for a managerial appointment? There is no guarantee but Managers are really cheap compared to players.

Dr. StrangeHate

We are definitely taking steps forward from last year. Whether we can take the final step forward under Ole is the question.

Water Melon

Yes but that's more a case of us underperforming. The point the poster was making was if the team perform to the capabilities we all believe this current squad can, then there isn't many team we can't beat deservedly.
This basically means that Ole has a good enough squad to challenge for the title, which eventually means that if we under perform than there is something wrong with our coaching, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.