Would you sell Pogba to finance a deal for Sancho?

King Eric 7

Does he??Do we need a like for like replacement?Can we not just play 2 defensive minded midfielders behind Fernandez?With Fernandez in the team,why would we need a replacement for Pogba?I would want 2 midfielders behind Fernandez,so that he gets the freedom to do what he does best..,
Because without Bruno we're fecked. We need at least one of Bruno or Pogba to open up the parked bus teams. If we sell Pogba, we can't just rely on Bruno to play every single match.

Nikelesh Reddy

Assuming he wants to go and we sign another midfielder to replace him then yes, with no regrets.

Though if we're signing someone else to replace him then I'm not sure to what extent you could really frame it as financing the deal for Sancho. I would have thought they were two separate issues.
The assumption I”m making here is that we won’t replace Pogba with a 100 million midfielder.We have replaced Pogbas creativity to a large extent by signing Fernandez,so we sign another midfielder(maybe an emerging young talent) for a reasonable price.The major chunk of the Sancho signing will be financed by Pogbas sale...

Brightonian

Does he??Do we need a like for like replacement?Can we not just play 2 defensive minded midfielders behind Fernandez?With Fernandez in the team,why would we need a replacement for Pogba?I would want 2 midfielders behind Fernandez,so that he gets the freedom to do what he does best..,
It does put us back in the position of having one truly creative central midfielder, so that we would potentially be just as neutered if Bruno picked up an injury as we were this season by Pogba's. For me if you sell him you need a similar player - not identical, but a first-team quality, primarily creative central midfielder.

Runaway Sue

People call him world class because he is. His medals and his performances speak for themselves. We've been a shit side with crap managers and have expected Pogba to carry us. Even Messi can't carry teams by himself (Argentina NT).

Just because he's a twat for constantly letting himself be linked with moves away by his agent, doesn't make him a bad footballer. When he's been bothered for us he's been WC and he's been that level for Juve and France with a lot more consistency.
I seriously disagree with this. Barring a few games here and there, theres nothing to suggest he is world class. A good player should stand out in bad teams, that is usually how good player from lesser teams get bought. The notion that he couldnt do anything to prove he is world class because of "shit team and crap manager" is bullshit. He is one of those players.

And before you start questning my opinion, keep this in mind, i dont use any social media, twitter, facebook, instagram or what ever else there is. Nor do i give two shits about what he does in his real life, who he is dating or what hair hes got. My opinion on Pogba is purly based on what i have seen from him in our shirt and that has been less than impressive.
He can be a good player on his day, but he is in no way or shape world class.

I'd swap him for Grealish in a heartbeat.

Reactions: jojojo

Devil may care

I'm a fan of Pogba but I don't think he wants to be here and on top of that Ole seems hellbent on playing 4-2-3-1, a formation that doesn't suit Pogba, so it makes more sense to sell him to help fund the summer transfer window in general and build towards the system the manager favours.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I know that there’s a separate thread for both these players in this forum,but this is a very specific question,hence I”ve decided to start this thread.Theres been a lot of speculation recently that United can’t sign big,unless they sell big this summer...So the only way how we can possibly stump up the cash for Sancho would be to sell Pogba.Would you personally be in favour of such a move??

I personally think that the arrival of Fernandez has significantly reduced the importance of Pogba.I actually reckon we desperately need a top quality RW more than a player like Pogba...A front 3 of Rashford,Martial and Sancho(with Greenwood consistently getting games) could be a formidable attacking unit.All 3 of them can interchange and the fluidity of this formation can wreak havoc on most defences.I would personally be in favour of selling Pogba to finance Sancho.Whats your view?
People including the manager were expecting Pogba to do double task before we sign Pogba & before Fred managed to adapt in the league.

Bruno's arrival doesn't make reduced the importance of Pogba. It's actually increasing the importance of Pogba. Team knows that Pogba was our only creative player who can create chance for us, often they think if they can stop him then it'll stop us to create chance.

And Fred's signing was supposed to be the answer to also increasing the importance of Pogba. Team knows that Pogba was the only player who can operate in deep role to get the ball and play passings through the midfield to our attackers, which is why they often try to close him down quickly by not giving him space but Fred will release his burden and now we can also rely on Fred to do the task.

And to answer the main question is I'll say yes only if we sign Pogba's replacement which is CM/DM. If we sell Pogba means we will only have 3 options to play in the 2 pivot role Scott, Matic & Fred. Not enough for cover, which is why we need to sign CM/DM when Pogba leaves.

RUCK4444

No. Because we don’t feckin need to.

Strengthening one area whilst weakening another is a backward way to try and make progress as a club.

This team used to be littered with world class players in most positions, let’s get back to that eh

Tel074

Yeah I'd be happy selling Pogba to finance Sancho but only if we then get at least 2 other targets in as well with the summer budget

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I”m pretty sure that Real can comfortably afford to sign Pogba this summer.Not sure about Juve,but Real certainly can,and I reckon his first choice would be Real as well...
Glad to hear you have such intimate access to Real's financials. If Real could afford him, they wouldn't have offered James and a bag of chips last summer and we've only gotten in the middle of a recession now with Spain asking for financial assistance from the EU.

TrebleFan99

Sell Pogba for Sancho 100%.

I’m not confident that will happen, but as a hypothetical, sure. Another season of Pogba drama is exactly what we don’t need.

Leaving Sancho out of the equation, I would be perfectly happy to replace Pogba with Partey and Grealish, for example. In fact, if that was all of our business for the window we would go into next season stronger and more balanced than we are at the moment.

The desperation to hold onto Pogba is bizarre. I’d not let him leave on a free but there seems to be a strange obsession on here to keep a players who has underdelivered and wants to leave.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Absolutely yes. Bruno is better than him with a better attitude and just better for manchester united in every way.

ROFLUTION

I'd sell Pogba, period. Feck him and Raiola. Can't ever build around a player like him.

Don't get why many people in here are suddenly in love with Pogba with his mouthpiece/brother and Raiola mouthing us off.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
No. He's too good. He should be more motivated now that he's not only the good player on the team and his relationship with the club seems to be better than before.

The team and manager we have now are building to win things, not clawing to stay in the league. This should motivate the w**ker a bit more and I'm confident we'll see the best of him.

No one has the qualities he does and he is an important part of the team.

UnitedFan93

100% yes. Bruno is a much better fit for the club and I've serious doubts whether both Bruno and Pogba can play together.

Sancho is the future, Pogba and his agent should be the past.

yo@Kirk

I'd rather keep Pogba and play Greenwood at RW than sell Pogba to pay for Sancho. Selling Pogba to buy Sancho isn't how Man Utd will build a squad that competes for major trophies, imo. It's a recipe for maintaining the status quo, competing for the Europa League trophy.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I understand why people are saying that selling Pogba would be a backward move as you want to add to what you already have but that isn't always the case. The prime example being how Liverpool kicked on after selling Coutinho. It won't automatically see you take a backwards step.

He'sRaldo

I understand why people are saying that selling Pogba would be a backward move as you want to add to what you already have but that isn't always the case. The prime example being how Liverpool kicked on after selling Coutinho. It won't automatically see you take a backwards step.
Liverpool is one good example out of the many ones where selling one of your best players goes badly. They can't be used as a standard.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Liverpool is one good example out of the many ones where selling one of your best players goes badly. They can't be used as a standard.
I'm not saying they should be the standard, just that it isn't a given that selling Pogba will see us take a backwards step.

It's entirely possible that we could sell Pogba and replace him with a less talented player (because anyone we sign will almost certainly be less talented) who nonetheless fits the team better. Or indeed that the money gained from selling Pogba could help make improvements in multiple positions which together improve the team more than keeping him would. Especially if he actually does want to leave.

Luke1995

No because Pogba is a known quantity. Sancho is a prospect, not the finished article. We need serial winners in this team, like, you know, a World Cup winner.

He'sRaldo

I'm not saying they should be the standard, just that it isn't a given that selling Pogba will see us take a backwards step.

It's entirely possible that we could sell Pogba and replace him with a less talented player (because anyone we sign will almost certainly be less talented) who nonetheless fits the team better. Or indeed that the money gained from selling Pogba could help make improvements in multiple positions which together improve the team more than keeping him would. Especially if he actually does want to leave.
That's true, but then it comes down to trust. How much do you trust Woodward to be able to bring such deals home? How much do you trust Ole and the coaches to be able to integrate players of lesser talent to win trophies?

People don't like Pogs that much, but he's one of the people at the club who I trust to do his job to a high standard, moreso than Woodie or Ole as of right now. If we had a manager like Pep, Conte or Klopp, and a top DOF-like figure, then yeah I'd place more faith in them to replace a top perform and improve us. But right now it's not the case.

redmanx

Why do people obsess with calling Pogba world class? He really isn't

He's been a failure here, whatever way you wanna look at it.

I'd sell him regardless.

Squad needs a bit of work all over but selling Pogba cant be a bad thing
Im no fan of Pogba but I wouldnt call him a failure; in 143 games in all competitions hes scored 31 goals, not a bad return for a midfielder though some of his goals were scored from penalties. Pogba is a world class player but only on his terms, playing where and how he wants to and sulking when hes told to defend etc, yet he can defend well, when he puts his mind to it. Pogba has the talent but not the attitude, consistency and work ethic we want at United, its all about him and his ego and his ego is greater than his talent. He wants to go and we should sell him even if we make a loss.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Hilarious how many think because we have Fernandes we can sell Pogba. The biggest clubs add quality to quality. They don’t buy one quality player and sell another. Pogba and Fernandes are very different players and take up different positions on the pitch.

Nickelodeon

Was a good post until you ruined it by saying Sancho is unproven.

Sancho is absolute top drawer
Everyone is unproven until they've done it. He has done well and there's a huge chance that he will hit the top bracket. For the money being quoted, we need someone to come on and become our best or top 3 player. However, we have seen players in the past who have thrived in the Bundesliga but struggled in the premier league.

jackal&hyde

No because we don't need to and we would be strengthening one side of the team and weakening another, makes no sense.

Craig Ward

Everyone is unproven until they've done it. He has done well and there's a huge chance that he will hit the top bracket. For the money being quoted, we need someone to come on and become our best or top 3 player. However, we have seen players in the past who have thrived in the Bundesliga but struggled in the premier league.
Sancho signs and he is our best player by absolute miles.

He's better than anything we have

Craig Ward

People call him world class because he is. His medals and his performances speak for themselves. We've been a shit side with crap managers and have expected Pogba to carry us. Even Messi can't carry teams by himself (Argentina NT).

Just because he's a twat for constantly letting himself be linked with moves away by his agent, doesn't make him a bad footballer. When he's been bothered for us he's been WC and he's been that level for Juve and France with a lot more consistency.
World class means you play to an elite level standard on a consistent basis.

Very few deserve this label, only Messi and Ronaldo. I wouldnt even put Neymar, Bale, Griezmann or Mpabbe at world class level, let alone Paul Pogba.

If we are basing Pogba on his performances for us, he's in the "decent category". He has good moments in games, some flashes of brilliance and some eye catching passes on occasion. But nowhere near regular or consistently enough to be considered top class. He's nowhere near as good or consistent as some midfielders in the premiership, let alone the world.

World class players perform regardless of the quality around them and lead by example, instead of blaming "crap managers and a shite team" Just lazy excuses blaming other factors other than the player himself. Only Pogba is responsible for the level of effort and commitment he puts into his performances for us, and over the time period he's been here there is no way you can class him world class. You can call him talented and gifted by all means.

If you consider how good he can be with his skillset and physical attributes, how hard he works to achieve that, to put in the best display he can week in, week out you'd have to say he's majorly underachieved with us.

Zlatattack

Very few deserve this label, only Messi and Ronaldo. I wouldnt even put Neymar, Bale, Griezmann or Mpabbe at world class level, let alone Paul Pogba.

If we are basing Pogba on his performances for us, he's in the "decent category". He has good moments in games, some flashes of brilliance and some eye catching passes on occasion. But nowhere near regular or consistently enough to be considered top class. He's nowhere near as good or consistent as some midfielders in the premiership, let alone the world.

World class players perform regardless of the quality around them and lead by example, instead of blaming "crap managers and a shite team" Just lazy excuses blaming other factors other than the player himself. Only Pogba is responsible for the level of effort and commitment he puts into his performances for us, and over the time period he's been here there is no way you can class him world class. You can call him talented and gifted by all means.

If you consider how good he can be with his skillset and physical attributes, how hard he works to achieve that, to put in the best display he can week in, week out you'd have to say he's majorly underachieved with us.
Is Messi world class playing for Argentina then?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

No mate, I disagree with your opinion.

Messi and Ronaldo are a level or 2 above world class level - that's why they are called legends or GOATS.

Pogba isn't at that level because he isnt good enough to be a legend of the game.

However, some would consider him one of the beat players in this league - making him one of the best players of this world & world class.

That's the same case with players like Griezmann and a lot of other players you mentioned.

De Bryune is world class not because of purely his trophies, but him consistently being one of the best performers in the matches he plays - in the league he plays and the international games.

If you do that, you become world class.

SteveW

We shouldn't need to. If Pogba goes we'll need another midfielder. Could live with Pogba out, Sancho and Grealish in.

kopviolator

However, some would consider him one of the beat players in this league - making him one of the best players of this world & world class.
Only fans of this club consider him one of the best players in the league, and usually under the pretext "when he cares" or "if surrounded by better players" or something similar. Key is consistency. He has struggled there.

Bondi77

So we sell a player that we paid a fortune for that has not had a big enough impact in the Premier League to finance another fortune to spend on a player that has really good form in a two horse league but has not played in the Premier League .
Lots of variables here but the simple answer is if Pogba wants to go and Sancho wants to come then I say YES!

Craig Ward

No mate, I disagree with your opinion.

Messi and Ronaldo are a level or 2 above world class level - that's why they are called legends or GOATS.

Pogba isn't at that level because he isnt good enough to be a legend of the game.

That's the same case with players like Griezmann and a lot of other players you mentioned.

De Bryune is world class not because of purely his trophies, but him consistently being one of the best performers in the matches he plays - in the league he plays and the international games.

If you do that, you become world class.
So let me get this straight:
your standard for Pogba to be world class is "Some would consider him one of the best in the league"
Your standard for De Bruyne to be world class is "not because of purely his trophies, but him consistently being one of the best performers in the matches he plays"

Sums up everything thats wrong with how we analyse Pogba here, with complete bias.

Based on consistent performances over the last 3 years, Pogba simply cannot be world class. He just cant, he hasnt even been the most consistent performer for us, yet alone the league, yet alone the rest of europe etc. Pogba's name is a bigger drawer than his actual performances.

-Supreme-

if he wants to stay no.
He needs to commit and sign a contract extension this summer if he wants to stay.

His value will only going to drop with two years left remaining, we can't afford to see him run down his contract for the 2nd time

Nickelodeon

I hope he signs and what you're saying is absolutely right. I have myself seen him play intermittently as well as a lot of highlights and he's shown flashes of brilliance. Having said that, ever since the signing of Sanchez, I'm wary of any signing we make particularly the one made for big money.

As much as I understand and appreciate your confidence, I hope you understand the hesitation in declaring him a sure-shot superstar.

Zlatattack

Messi is world class, yes. End of.

Messi being world class isn't the debate though, and it isnt even in question. he is.....
Going by your own definition though -

He's rubbish for Argentina, so is he WC? By your definition, surely not.

Lets be clear, i'm not arguing if Messi is WC or not, rather i think your definition is flawed. In my opinion Messi and Ronaldo should be in categories above world class. They're phenomenas.

If/When Pogba leaves it, it will be for a top side, which regularly wins titles and is trying to win the CL. It'll be a Real Madrid or PSG, not a second tier club. Right now in terms of achievements on the pitch, we're a second tier club (post fergie). Whoever he joins will be wanting him to be a key player in their first team.

That for me is a world class player, someone who is not out of place amongst the very best players in the very best clubs.

Has he been world class for us? only in fleeting moments.

Remember the geese

Sancho is class, but you either massively overrate him, or seriously under play how good some of our current players are. As talented as Pogba, Fernandes, Rashford and Martial? I wouldn't disagree. "Absolutely miles" better than them? Not a chance.

Rolaholic

Only fans of this club consider him one of the best players in the league, and usually under the pretext "when he cares" or "if surrounded by better players" or something similar. Key is consistency. He has struggled there.
His fellow league players voted him as just that the last full season he played, the only outfield player at the club to achieve that honor since Fergie retired, so no it's not just the clubs fans who believe this (and even then, he's actively despised by a segment of the fans and arguably the majority on this forum).