Would you sell Pogba to finance a deal for Sancho?

kkengvib

Only if we get a good/fair price for Pogba (i say minimum 100m)
Otherwise I would finance Sancho's purchase with sales of other players in the squad. If I was Sancho I'd prefer Pogba in the squad when I arrive as well.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Yes, I would sell him, but as always with this type of discussion, no one really knows what Pogba wants. He has stated that he is looking for a new challenge, now whether that means a new challenge with United (I remember Rooney saying similar things in the past, a nudge to the manager to bring in new blood, so is this the same scenario?), or a new club remains to be seen.
I, like many others, have been underwhelmed by Pogba's performances thus far, yes he has put in some very good games, but they are few and far between, just look at what Bruno has achieved in the 10 or so matches that he has been here.
If and when we get back to playing again ( I think the FA will get the season finished) then we could have a dozen or so matches for Pogba to show his worth to United, or not. I have no doubt that he will be trying his utmost to either get a new contract, or a transfer. All in all I would let him go.

eltigreFalcao

No I wouldn't. Pogba is a prized asset, is a kind of its own. Unless he hands a transfer request I dont think there should be any hurry in selling him this summer. On the other hand, Sancho is pretty young, entering the final two years of a contract and aparently being drawn into the idea of signing for us, so if there's no chance BVB sell to us this summer or if we dont get the financial part of the deal right, I wouldn't mind waiting one or two transfer windows and in the meantime continue strenghtening the squad which could make Pogba want to stay and build for the future.

Reactions: Invictus

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
So let me get this straight:
your standard for Pogba to be world class is "Some would consider him one of the best in the league"
Your standard for De Bruyne to be world class is "not because of purely his trophies, but him consistently being one of the best performers in the matches he plays"

Sums up everything thats wrong with how we analyse Pogba here, with complete bias.

Based on consistent performances over the last 3 years, Pogba simply cannot be world class. He just cant, he hasnt even been the most consistent performer for us, yet alone the league, yet alone the rest of europe etc. Pogba's name is a bigger drawer than his actual performances.
But he has not only played for us has he?

That's where the bias kicks in.

People just view his United performances and call it Red tinted glasses whilst forgetting all he has had performances for Juventus and France as well.

It's just as well biased to say he isnt one of United's best player's in this league through the view of being a United fan as it is to say he has - except the ones who say he has also have the fact that he has been a good player for juventus and France.

Now does Pogba drive me absolutely crazy with his performances and do I think he Is in the top brackets of the 'world class' section - no, but do I think he is in it? Yes I do. A guy who cost near 100 million, won a world cup, played for Juventus and a important but inconsistent player for a inconsistent United maybe applicable.

This is hardly anything to Do with Pogba and more what to do what 'world class' means to people.

jesperjaap

I would sell Pogba to add finance to our summer transfer spending regardless of who we want to sign. If we were getting or money back pretty much, lets say £90m.
He has been here 3/4years is it now and cost us just under £90m, has he justified that fee in anyway whatsoever?

Inconsistant and his poor performances have been really poor, giving the ball away criminally. There is all the circus with his agent and social media, the injuries....the list goes on.

I am not doubting that Pogba is a very talented footballer, he has all the tools and physique to be one of the best in the world but he never has been. He had a very good world cup, though I think his performances were over hyped. He has had some great performances at Juventus but for me went missing in most of the big champions league games. He has had some great performances for us as well, but all too few.

The only reason to keep Pogba is to build the side around him and nothing in suggest that is worthwhile wahatsoever. Just look at the signing of Fernandes, he has had as many great performances in a couple of months than Pogba his whole career pretty much here. There are very very very few unreplacable players and Pogba isnt even near that category.

I would happily take Bentancur or DeLight from Juve for him or happily sell him for what we paid to replace him, for all his abilities he will never be a world class player for me

Yes 100%.

Selling a toxic player who hates playing for Man Utd, and replacing him with a young English winger with World class potential, is the biggest no brainer I've ever seen at this club. But I'm not sure we'll have the kind of free run at Sancho like the press is making out.
Who told you he hates playing for Utd?
Also, he doesn’t sound like a toxic person to me..

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Ideally I’d prefer to keep Pogba and buy Sancho - but rationally it thus was a straight choice, it “seems“ easier to find a replacement (not necessarily like for like) in the market (Grealish, Saul, Partey etc) for Pogba, then it is for Sancho (& my word, we’ve been missing a quality RW for years and years now :lol:).

So I’d reluctantly approve if this was a straight choice with no other choice.

redshaw

Probably yes hypothetically. Very good passer but his own words and not once countering his agent or brother says it's time to move on for him and the club but his fancied club didn't want to pay us and looks even less likely now. Shame it's not worked out, been 4 years and the 4th year he has barely played.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
No, unleas Pogba wants to leave. We are a big club. Or at least, supposed to be.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
No, unleas Pogba wants to leave. We are a big club. Or at least, supposed to be.
Unless? If he had his way he'd already be gone mate. Why are so many of our fans so blinkered with him?

He said himself last summer whilst in Japan he wanted a change. His brother and agent never shut up about him wanting to go. He doesn't want to be here.

He's just starting to realise that nobody thinks he's worth top money though so he may be stuck here.

There's no way we are signing Sancho this summer after Woodward comments. I think the transfer window, whenever that may be, will be a huge damp squib. Can't see clubs spending 100m on anyone for a while. Probably a good thing too. Football needs to come back to planet earth.

Sancho in 2021 very possible.

Champagne Football

Who told you he hates playing for Utd?
Also, he doesn’t sound like a toxic person to me..

I think he's probably an amazing guy away from football. But all the signs to me are of someone who does not want to be at Utd, and will do whatever it takes to get what he wants. He's disrespected the club on more occasions than any other player in Utd's history, whether it be through his agent or brother mocking the club, or whether it's half-arsed performances on the pitch, or through constant flirting with Juventus and Real Madrid in the media. He's clearly not happy at Utd, he should have been sold last summer, but despite not getting his dream move to Madrid last summer, he could have given his all like Cristiano did in his last year despite not getting his big move when he wanted. Mourinho called Pogba a virus. Pogba was even begging Man City to sign him at one point. He threw Ole under a bus by his antics this season. He clearly only cares about No.1. Good riddance.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I think he's probably an amazing guy away from football. But all the signs to me are of someone who does not want to be at Utd, and will do whatever it takes to get what he wants. He's disrespected the club on more occasions than any other player in Utd's history, whether it be through his agent or brother mocking the club, or whether it's half-arsed performances on the pitch, or through constant flirting with Juventus and Real Madrid in the media. He's clearly not happy at Utd, he should have been sold last summer, but despite not getting his dream move to Madrid last summer, he could have given his all like Cristiano did in his last year despite not getting his big move when he wanted. Mourinho called Pogba a virus. Pogba was even begging Man City to sign him at one point. He threw Ole under a bus by his antics this season. He clearly only cares about No.1. Good riddance.
In other words, let me ignore what everybody inside the club, including the coach that's supposedly been disrespected is saying about the guy I'm trashing, because I know better. :rolleyes:

Maybe brush up on your history a bit and try to take it easy on the absolute nonsense hyperbole, it's really unoriginal. Let me guess, you're one of those 'fans' who thinks he faked an injury this whole season to not play and wait out his move to Madrid as well? Your whole posts reads like a drama queen that's mixed xanax with a little too much alcohol.

To stay on topic, selling Pogba to get Sancho is a sideway move at best, it's not going to make the club take that next step. To be a contender, United has to strengthen without losing their best players. Pogba wants to play on a good team, preferably at United, so bringing in Sancho is only going to be a positive for him and the club. Great players bring the best out of each others, and it's been a while since Pogba's had a great player at the club. If some fans believe any club, even United, can hang on to great players just based on their names and not actual results or teammates, you're living in the past. Players have too many opportunities and relatively small window to maximize their careers, I don't think Sancho or any other great players would be thrilled to come to this current United squad, especially without Pogba on the team who is a draw for any player in the world.

Last edited:

Eli Zee

In other words, let me ignore what everybody inside the club, including the coach that's supposedly been disrespected is saying about the guy I'm trashing, because I know better. :rolleyes:

Maybe brush up on your history a bit and try to take it easy on the absolute nonsense hyperbole, it's really unoriginal. Let me guess, you're one of those 'fans' who thinks he faked an injury this whole season to not play and wait out his move to Madrid as well? Your whole posts reads like a drama queen that's mixed xanax with a little too much alcohol.

To stay on topic, selling Pogba to get Sancho is a sideway move at best, it's not going to make the club take that next step. To be a contender, United has to strengthen without losing their best players. Pogba wants to play on a good team, preferably at United, so bringing in Sancho is only going to be a positive for him and the club. Great players bring the best out of each others, and it's been a while since Pogba's had a great player at the club. If some fans believe any club, even United, can hang on to great players just based on their names and not actual results or teammates, you're living in the past. Players have too many opportunities and relatively small window to maximize their careers, I don't think Sancho or any other great players would be thrilled to come to this current United squad, especially without Pogba on the team who is a draw for any player in the world.
I think Sancho would transform our squad. With him here, anyone would be thrilled to join the team. Sancho, Bruno, rashford, pogba, Maguire, Wan-Bisaka, Fred... all relatively young and very good players. That would be a team that can compete on all levels for years to come and if any other great players were to come, itd only be better. You can also see the transfer strategy is for the future and working out well since Ole got here

Ekeke

In theory yes.

But it would depend on who else we signed, not just Sancho for Pogba. Because its very unlikely we dont sign anyone while we keep him. And thats the alternative

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I think Sancho would transform our squad. With him here, anyone would be thrilled to join the team. Sancho, Bruno, rashford, pogba, Maguire, Wan-Bisaka, Fred... all relatively young and very good players. That would be a team that can compete on all levels and if any other great players were to come, itd only be better.
I agree as long as Pogba is on the team as well or replaced by a world-class midfielder. Sancho for Pogba is not going to transform the squad into a contender all of the sudden. But if I'm a young player and United is coming at me with an offer and the team you mentioned, it become a very attractive proposition to revive a sleeping giant with those studs.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I agree as long as Pogba is on the team as well or replaced by a world-class midfielder. Sancho for Pogba is not going to transform the squad into a contender all of the sudden. But if I'm a young player and United is coming at me with an offer and the team you mentioned, it become a very attractive proposition to revive a sleeping giant with those studs.
Pogba has been replaced. He's called Bruno. We signed Bruno in January knowing that Pogba would very likely be leaving in the summer and then Covid-19 happened. So Pogba might have to stay yet again. And we probably won't be getting Sancho.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Yes. Sancho would fit beautifully into our attacking lineup, and we actually have a decent and well balanced midfield without Pogba (if lacking in depth). Plus Pogba just gives off that vibe of not really wanting to be here, and too much celebrity status/bigger than the club status for my liking.

The Red Thinker

A 100 times yes.

Pogba is no doubt a brilliant player, truly one of the best on his day. But if we were to plug that gaping hole at Right Wing with Sancho and have Bruno replace Pogba, I would sleep at night very peacefully.

laughtersassassin

Swapping Pogba for one other great player Is not a move any big club would make. If Pogba goes Sancho must be signed as well as another top class player.

And don't give me this Bruno nonsense unless you are happy to have one man we depend on to win us every game again. Would be going in circles.

Crimson King

I would sell Pogba to add finance to our summer transfer spending regardless of who we want to sign. If we were getting or money back pretty much, lets say £90m.
He has been here 3/4years is it now and cost us just under £90m, has he justified that fee in anyway whatsoever?

Inconsistant and his poor performances have been really poor, giving the ball away criminally. There is all the circus with his agent and social media, the injuries....the list goes on.

I am not doubting that Pogba is a very talented footballer, he has all the tools and physique to be one of the best in the world but he never has been. He had a very good world cup, though I think his performances were over hyped. He has had some great performances at Juventus but for me went missing in most of the big champions league games. He has had some great performances for us as well, but all too few.

The only reason to keep Pogba is to build the side around him and nothing in suggest that is worthwhile wahatsoever. Just look at the signing of Fernandes, he has had as many great performances in a couple of months than Pogba his whole career pretty much here. There are very very very few unreplacable players and Pogba isnt even near that category.

I would happily take Bentancur or DeLight from Juve for him or happily sell him for what we paid to replace him, for all his abilities he will never be a world class player for me
Except these aren't the kind of players that they'll try to offer us in the deal.

It's extremely likely that they will try and add players to alleviate some of the cost, but they'll try and offload Costa, or Pjanic maybe.

Both good players but probably on the decline and not really the profile we've been going for and which seems to be working. Plus, we should learn our lesson and stay away from the castoffs from other big sides.

Champagne Football

Pogba will be gone in the next transfer window. One of Madrid or Juventus will offer a player plus cash. Kroos and cash or Ramsey plus cash. There's no point keeping an unhappy player, and a player who has a disruptive influence on the club if you don't give in to his every demand.

Icemav

What happens when Bruno gets a significant injury? Do we relie on mata/lingz and Pereira. Pogba money should be invested in midfield. If our intire summer budget was used on Sancho I would have no issues with it though.
this is precisely the problem of not replacing Pogba. One injury to Fernandes and we are in the shit . You are 100% correct that we can't look at linking the sale of Pogba to acquiring a right winger. If we sell Pogba then I would think tactically that Havertz could be the replacement. He can fill in on the right wing but also play 10 and 8.

Ekeke

Swapping Pogba for one other great player Is not a move any big club would make. If Pogba goes Sancho must be signed as well as another top class player.

And don't give me this Bruno nonsense unless you are happy to have one man we depend on to win us every game again. Would be going in circles.
Who was the player considered great who Liverpool swapped Coutinho for?

Madrid and Barcelona are moving out talented players all the time to make space for other talented players

redmanx

World class means you play to an elite level standard on a consistent basis.

Very few deserve this label, only Messi and Ronaldo. I wouldnt even put Neymar, Bale, Griezmann or Mpabbe at world class level, let alone Paul Pogba.

If we are basing Pogba on his performances for us, he's in the "decent category". He has good moments in games, some flashes of brilliance and some eye catching passes on occasion. But nowhere near regular or consistently enough to be considered top class. He's nowhere near as good or consistent as some midfielders in the premiership, let alone the world.

World class players perform regardless of the quality around them and lead by example, instead of blaming "crap managers and a shite team" Just lazy excuses blaming other factors other than the player himself. Only Pogba is responsible for the level of effort and commitment he puts into his performances for us, and over the time period he's been here there is no way you can class him world class. You can call him talented and gifted by all means.

If you consider how good he can be with his skillset and physical attributes, how hard he works to achieve that, to put in the best display he can week in, week out you'd have to say he's majorly underachieved with us.
I agree, Pogbas clearly a very skilful player, one of the worlds finest but nowhere near the levels of Ronaldo and Messi while De Bruyne, Busquets and Kroos are far more effective in midfield. United have had some great midfielders over the years, Liam Whelan, Pat Crerand, Bobby Charlton, Bryan Robson, Norman Whiteside, Roy Keane, Paul Scholes, David Beckham, Giggs, in the latter part of his career, and now Bruno Fernandez and I wouldnt select Pogba over any of them.

jesperjaap

Except these aren't the kind of players that they'll try to offer us in the deal.

It's extremely likely that they will try and add players to alleviate some of the cost, but they'll try and offload Costa, or Pjanic maybe.

Both good players but probably on the decline and not really the profile we've been going for and which seems to be working. Plus, we should learn our lesson and stay away from the castoffs from other big sides.
Yes I agree and pretty much agree, Pjanic is an excellent player but really not what we need and has probably just passed his peak

Icemav

I agree, Pogbas clearly a very skilful player, one of the worlds finest but nowhere near the levels of Ronaldo and Messi while De Bruyne, Busquets and Kroos are far more effective in midfield. United have had some great midfielders over the years, Liam Whelan, Pat Crerand, Bobby Charlton, Bryan Robson, Norman Whiteside, Roy Keane, Paul Scholes, David Beckham, Giggs, in the latter part of his career, and now Bruno Fernandez and I wouldnt select Pogba over any of them.
Jesus give Fernandes a couple of seasons at least. Nuts to include him in that group after a handful of games for United. We are trying to build a good team here and his signing seems a step in the right direction. An injury to him and Pobga sold and its a step backwards.

He'sRaldo

Who was the player considered great who Liverpool swapped Coutinho for?

Madrid and Barcelona are moving out talented players all the time to make space for other talented players
Liverpool are the anomaly. Barca still haven't replaced Neymar nor Madrid Ronaldo, and IMO the football Liverpool played with Coutinho behind Mane, Salah, and Firmino was a lot better than what they're playing now.

In general selling your best players brings down your level as a team, unless you pull genius moves tactically or in the transfer market. Even clubs like Dortmund, a tactically modern club who are experts at procuring and replacing talent have noticed the effects of continually selling their best performers, and that's why they can't take the next step. We should strive to be above that level.

MrBest

Let's establish a few ground rules, we do have enough money to make a big acquisition this summer despite COVID19 and what Woodward said publicly. Ed is hardly going to come out and say that we are prepared to pay big bucks for stars, he wants money off. This window will be crucial for us, there will be opportunities. I would keep Pogba purely because the thought of our team next year sounds frightening.

De gea
AWB Bailey Maguire Shaw
Fred
Fernandes Pogba
Sancho Rashford
Martial

Ekeke

Liverpool are the anomaly. Barca still haven't replaced Neymar nor Madrid Ronaldo, and IMO the football Liverpool played with Coutinho behind Mane, Salah, and Firmino was a lot better than what they're playing now.

In general selling your best players brings down your level as a team, unless you pull genius moves tactically or in the transfer market. Even clubs like Dortmund, a tactically modern club who are experts at procuring and replacing talent have noticed the effects of continually selling their best performers, and that's why they can't take the next step. We should strive to be above that level.
Of course it does when you have a collection of superstars and you sell your generational players. We dont have either.

We will find other players to play at the level Pogba has played for us and they won't all cost as much as he did. He's no Ronaldo or Neymar

RUCK4444

Let's establish a few ground rules, we do have enough money to make a big acquisition this summer despite COVID19 and what Woodward said publicly. Ed is hardly going to come out and say that we are prepared to pay big bucks for stars, he wants money off. This window will be crucial for us, there will be opportunities. I would keep Pogba purely because the thought of our team next year sounds frightening.

De gea
AWB Bailey Maguire Shaw
Fred
Fernandes Pogba
Sancho Rashford
Martial
Yes my friend, that’s the spirit.

That starting 11 is what I’ve been dreaming of. Even though its overly reliant on Fred in the DM role.

Make it happen Woody

RUCK4444

Of course it does when you have a collection of superstars and you sell your generational players. We dont have either.

We will find other players to play at the level Pogba has played for us and they won't all cost as much as he did. He's no Ronaldo or Neymar
Disagree, Pogba is a generational talent (best of his age group.)

You don’t replace those without spending big bucks and no matter who you have in mind they aren’t as talented a Pogba.

Plus now that the starting 11 is actually a far more functional side with a higher quality level thanks to Ole - now is the time to really judge him in my opinion.

People held out unrealistic demands from Pogba, that he would be responsible for transforming our side almost single handedly.
When in reality Messi would have struggled in this united side over the past few years.

His numbers have been consistently good and better than anybody in the side since his arrival.

He'sRaldo

That makes it even worse for us. Barca even after selling Neymar were at least able to win their domestic league due to the talent they have. This past CL they failed because Neymar's very expensive replacement wasn't as good as him and kept missing chances vs Liverpool.

For us, we don't even have the talent to begin with which makes it more imperative for us to keep our best players. I really don't know where the bravado from the fans is coming from. Judging from our play this last season and us lying in midtable for most of it, we should be on the hunt for even more talent, not trying to get rid of our best.

Last edited:

Ekeke

You don’t replace those without spending big bucks and no matter who you have in mind they aren’t as talented a Pogba.

Plus now that the starting 11 is actually a far more functional side with a higher quality level thanks to Ole - now is the time to really judge him in my opinion.

People held out unrealistic demands from Pogba, that he would be responsible for transforming our side almost single handedly.
When in reality Messi would have struggled in this united side over the past few years.

His numbers have been consistently good and better than anybody in the side since his arrival.
Salah is the same age, KDB is a year older, same with Mane, same with Neymar. All have been better players than Pogba than his level at United

Messi would have been twice as impactful

Adam_S

Pogba and 50m for Grealish and Sancho, for example, doesn't sound like a bad bit of business to me.

jamesjimmybyrondean

He looked like one at Juve but you'd be lying to yourself if you think he has become the midfielder he looked like he was going to be. Doesn't mean he's not good or he's repressed. He's just been underwhelming

gza the genius

If selling Pogba is the only possible way to get Sancho then yes I'd do it. If we sell Pogba we're just going to have to replace him too though so ideally I'd rather just keep Pogba and buy Sancho and be finished. It'd be different if selling Pogba was going to get us enough money to buy Sancho and a Pogba replacement but I don't think at this point we'd even get enough to cover all of Sancho and then we'll just have to fork out for a player worse than Pogba.