Would you sell Pogba to finance a deal for Sancho?

Nikelesh Reddy

I know that there’s a separate thread for both these players in this forum,but this is a very specific question,hence I”ve decided to start this thread.Theres been a lot of speculation recently that United can’t sign big,unless they sell big this summer...So the only way how we can possibly stump up the cash for Sancho would be to sell Pogba.Would you personally be in favour of such a move??

I personally think that the arrival of Fernandez has significantly reduced the importance of Pogba.I actually reckon we desperately need a top quality RW more than a player like Pogba...A front 3 of Rashford,Martial and Sancho(with Greenwood consistently getting games) could be a formidable attacking unit.All 3 of them can interchange and the fluidity of this formation can wreak havoc on most defences.I would personally be in favour of selling Pogba to finance Sancho.Whats your view?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Clear answer is yes.

Pogba is a quality player and I rate him massively but if he isn't happy and wants out then let him go. Sancho is utter quality, if we can pick him up this Summer then we have to get it done.

King Eric 7

If Pogba's sold, then he needs replacing IMO. Not necessarily in terms of stature but I'd want Sancho AND another player for Pogba's position.

Coxy

If it was the only way of signing him (i.e. our budget was already spent) then hell yes. I'd rather have a young player who wants to succeed - rather than one trying to get away. It's a harder decision if it wasn't for Pogba's antics..

El Zoido

If he wants to stay then keep him, because he’s world class. If he wants to leave then sell him. It really is that simple.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If Pogba still wants out, reluctantly. Otherwise, non.

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
Probably not, mainly because we have a weird obsessive fan base who would have another thing to hold against Sancho if he never lived up to the expectations.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The problem is unless someone has players that Dortmund wants, someone has to come up with the money. If United can't, there's no chance either of the Spanish clubs or Juventus can. The only hope is PSG wanting Pogba enough to provide the money.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
If we sell Pogba, we will be midfielder short. If we can find both a Midfielder and Sancho then good otherwise it would be like one step forward then one step back

Nickelodeon

Pros:

We solve our RW problem
Younger player. Potentially long term solution (>5 years) if he can reach his potential and we can be challengers.
Already have Pogba replacement in Bruno
Difficult to have Pogba and Bruno in our midfield 3 without disrupting the balance
FO Raiola

Cons:

IF we find a combination where Bruno and Pogba both are able to give their best, ours could be the best (or top 3) midfield in the league
Sancho is unproven

Coops73

If he wants out and all the indications are that he does, then yes, I’d personally cash in, too much bullshit from him and Raiola, it’s a constant distraction but that’s just my opinion, if he wants to stay he’d have to work really hard to convince me it’s the right thing for the club and if it means we can get someone with less baggage and more commitment then it’s a no brainer for me.

Champagne Football

Yes 100%.

Selling a toxic player who hates playing for Man Utd, and replacing him with a young English winger with World class potential, is the biggest no brainer I've ever seen at this club. But I'm not sure we'll have the kind of free run at Sancho like the press is making out.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Only if Pogba wants to go.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
The 2 are separate. I'd sell Pogba and replace him with another (potentially) top midfielder anyway.

Buying Sancho should be our priority irrespective of what happens with Pogba.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Two different types of player.
A club with the financial resources of Manchester United should still be able to afford both.

But if it came down to either or then my view would be yes.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Really depends on the deal doesn't it? Let's say we're £20m short on Sancho for whatever reason, is it worth selling Pogba for £20m to get him? The answer is no for all kinds of reasons.

If Real want to pay £100m+ for Pogba and he's desperate to go then good luck to him, regardless of whatever Sancho is doing.

flappyjay

The 2 are separate. I'd sell Pogba and replace him with another (potentially) top midfielder anyway.

Buying Sancho should be our priority irrespective of what happens with Pogba.
Exactly. The Pogba money should be used to get a top midfielder. If Possible an AM (to give Bruno competition) and a DM.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Assuming he wants to go and we sign another midfielder to replace him then yes, with no regrets.

Though if we're signing someone else to replace him then I'm not sure to what extent you could really frame it as financing the deal for Sancho. I would have thought they were two separate issues.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If that was the only way to finance the deal then yes. We've been crying out of a right winger since god knows when

Red4Life_#7

Pogba is in the top tier midfield players in the world, big clubs keep their best players and add to them. We have cash reserves of £100+ plus funds we can budget into any deal.

We need Sancho, Pogba, Martial, Rashford, Bruno etc We have a chance of building a team to challenge in Europe and the Premier league.

We should also be looking to sign Aubameyang. If we can pick him up for 35-40m as he has one year left and is 30 years old. If we can get max 3 good seasons out of him while Rashy, Greenwood etc develop. That will be good business as he is prolific and CL ready.

flappyjay

I personally think that the arrival of Fernandez has significantly reduced the importance of Pogba.I actually reckon we desperately need a top quality RW more than a player like Pogba
What happens when Bruno gets a significant injury? Do we relie on mata/lingz and Pereira. Pogba money should be invested in midfield. If our intire summer budget was used on Sancho I would have no issues with it though.

Web of Bissaka

Pros:

We solve our RW problem
Younger player. Potentially long term solution (>5 years) if he can reach his potential and we can be challengers.
Difficult to have Pogba and Bruno in our midfield 3 without disrupting the balance
FO Raiola

Cons:

IF we find a combination where Bruno and Pogba both are able to give their best, ours could be the best (or top 3) midfield in the league
Sancho is unproven
This poster nicks it.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Absolutely. Pogba hasn’t had the right character of a United player since day 1.

Zlatattack

Yes - Although i want to keep him. I think the best teams have quality all over the field, not just one or two quality players.

Why yes?
  • Not sure he's commited to us
  • He's always been pretty inconsistent
  • A decent replacement (not like for like) is relatively straight forward to get
Stipulations of we did sell him to get Sancho;
  • We need to replace him
  • We need to sell him for a lot of money
Ideally I want to keep him. Pogba and DDG are our only genuinely world class players. Bruno is too early to call, If Rashford has another season like this one, i think it's fair to say he's nearly there too. Add in the potential of AWB, Martial and the solid input of Shaw (at times), Maguire and Mc/Fred and we've got a decent side. We're a few players away from challenging for a title - assuming they're the right players. Sancho is one. A WC centre back and Matic replacement are the other in my opinion. Others will have their own thoughts and there are plenty of fringe players who can be updated, but we're not as far away as the table suggests. Next season will be an excellent guage of that.

To sell Pogba to buy Sancho seems a sideways step, or a half step forwards.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If that's the only way to sign Sancho then I would think about it.

If not then selling Pogba but keeping chaps like Pereira & Lingard would be a huge step backwards and on top of that we have other priorities when it comes to clearout anyway. Finding new club for Sanchez is one of them. Pog still have plenty goals and assists in his game so I'm not keen on rushing to sell world class footballer in his best years of football that easily, since in United we have not too many of them.

Baneofthegame

If we absolutely had to, then yes, but If not, we need to add to our best players.

dev1l

Yes definitely. As long as we don't sign any Raiola clients.

Craig Ward

Pros:

We solve our RW problem
FO Raiola

Cons:

Sancho is unproven
Was a good post until you ruined it by saying Sancho is unproven.

Sancho is absolute top drawer

Craig Ward

Yes - Although i want to keep him. I think the best teams have quality all over the field, not just one or two quality players.

Why yes?
  • Not sure he's commited to us
  • He's always been pretty inconsistent
  • A decent replacement (not like for like) is relatively straight forward to get
Stipulations of we did sell him to get Sancho;
  • We need to replace him
  • We need to sell him for a lot of money
Ideally I want to keep him. Pogba and DDG are our only genuinely world class players. Bruno is too early to call, If Rashford has another season like this one, i think it's fair to say he's nearly there too. Add in the potential of AWB, Martial and the solid input of Shaw (at times), Maguire and Mc/Fred and we've got a decent side. We're a few players away from challenging for a title - assuming they're the right players. Sancho is one. A WC centre back and Matic replacement are the other in my opinion. Others will have their own thoughts and there are plenty of fringe players who can be updated, but we're not as far away as the table suggests. Next season will be an excellent guage of that.

To sell Pogba to buy Sancho seems a sideways step, or a half step forwards.
Why do people obsess with calling Pogba world class? He really isn't

He's been a failure here, whatever way you wanna look at it.

I'd sell him regardless.

Squad needs a bit of work all over but selling Pogba cant be a bad thing

Zlatattack

Why do people obsess with calling Pogba world class? He really isn't

He's been a failure here, whatever way you wanna look at it.

I'd sell him regardless.

Squad needs a bit of work all over but selling Pogba cant be a bad thing
People call him world class because he is. His medals and his performances speak for themselves. We've been a shit side with crap managers and have expected Pogba to carry us. Even Messi can't carry teams by himself (Argentina NT).

Just because he's a twat for constantly letting himself be linked with moves away by his agent, doesn't make him a bad footballer. When he's been bothered for us he's been WC and he's been that level for Juve and France with a lot more consistency.

Nikelesh Reddy

If Pogba's sold, then he needs replacing IMO. Not necessarily in terms of stature but I'd want Sancho AND another player for Pogba's position.
Does he??Do we need a like for like replacement?Can we not just play 2 defensive minded midfielders behind Fernandez?With Fernandez in the team,why would we need a replacement for Pogba?I would want 2 midfielders behind Fernandez,so that he gets the freedom to do what he does best..,

Nikelesh Reddy

The problem is unless someone has players that Dortmund wants, someone has to come up with the money. If United can't, there's no chance either of the Spanish clubs or Juventus can. The only hope is PSG wanting Pogba enough to provide the money.
I”m pretty sure that Real can comfortably afford to sign Pogba this summer.Not sure about Juve,but Real certainly can,and I reckon his first choice would be Real as well...

Brightonian

Pros:

We solve our RW problem
FO Raiola

Cons:

Sancho is unproven
This is a good post but you also have to put down in cons the fact that we know roughly what we have in Pogba. There's the possibility of him doing more for us than he has, but at the very least he has proven that he can lay down a basic level as our best central midfielder and one of the better ones in the league. Sancho has never played for us and therefore however confident many may be (myself included) that he would thrive here, it's more of a risk.

You could potentially also add to the pros the not inconsiderable risk of losing Pogba for much less money or even on a free in a season or two.