Would you swap Lukaku for Morata?

cheeky_backheel

We were initially in pursuit of Morata, but after some difficult negotiations with Madrid and Chelsea also struggling to reach a deal with Everton, we ended up with Lukaku for £75m while Chelsea got Morata for £60m. Lukaku is reportedly on £200k per week while Moratais on £140k per week

Back then, I felt both players ended up on teams that didnt really suit their strengths i.e. Lukaku would thrive with Hazard, Willian, Alonso etc breaking down the defence and feeding him in the middle, while Morata would integrate better with players like Martial and Rashford who can more easily interchange with him and play through the middle while he drifts wide.

Question: Given what you have seen of both strikers so far, would you be interested in a direct swap of Lukaku for Morata?

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
No. Lukaku is out of form right now but we've seen him be effective, over and over, in the past. Same can't be said for Morata.

Lukaku is not being helped by the team either. He thrives on quick counters and through balls to run onto rather than being a target man. We continue to aim long balls at him and hope it would stick. This was never his forte. Just because the guy is massive doesn't mean he is a good target man.

ash_86

Nope. Lukaku is much better than what he's showing right now.

cheeky_backheel

No. Lukaku is out of form right now but we've seen him be effective, over and over, in the past. Same can't be said for Morata.

Lukaku is not being helped by the team either. He thrives on quick counters and through balls to run onto rather than being a target man. We continue to aim long balls at him and hope it would stick. This was never his forte. Just because the guy is massive doesn't mean he is a good target man.
But we played differently with Rashford in his place.

So is it the team not making passes or likely not making runs?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
No way. But I'd sell him for what we paid in a heartbeat.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not a fecking chance no, I wouldn't even swap Darmian for Morata

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
No way. But I'd sell him for what we paid in a heartbeat.
We would regret it if we did.
He, like quite a few of our players is very low on confidence and that is much worse as a striker.

He needs to be coached back to the basics and does look a bit chubby.

His goal scoring will return but as mentioned we must improve massively the service we provide to him.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
We would regret it if we did.
He, like quite a few of our players is very low on confidence and that is much worse as a striker.

He needs to be coached back to the basics and does look a bit chubby.

His goal scoring will return but as mentioned we must improve massively the service we provide to him.
Don't get me wrong, I think he's a very good player. Just really limited and that places limitations on our style of play. I don't think he's the right fit and he costs far too much money to be a squad player. Of course he can play better than he has been this season, but his first touch won't improve, his link up play is too limited and despite his build he's no target man.

Cloud7

No way, both of them are below the level we need. Can’t we just swap Lukaku for a pack of gum and start over with a new striker?

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
But we played differently with Rashford in his place.

So is it the team not making passes or likely not making runs?
The team seems to look at what he looks like (i.e. massive dude) and take the easy option of a long ball to him. Either the players or the manager seem to be misunderstanding what kind of player he is.

With Rashford, they acknowledge he is not a target man (just like Lukaku isn't) and don't play as if he is one.

This is not the only problem obviously. He is out of form and confidence, and probably exhausted, which would explain why he isn't doing the stuff he is good at like making runs in behind, peeling off to the wings, and pressuring defenders.

Minimalist

I think Lukaku still can be a much better (effective) player than Morata.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
No way in hell, Lukaku is in the worst form in his life and can still give Morata a run for his money. Morata has scored 4 in 13 playing for a team in form and firing, Lukaku has the same record playing for a team low on confidence and well below their level.

el3mel

No.

I would swap him for Icardi so. Think that's our only chance of getting rid of him while getting an upgrade.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Neither were ever good enough for us. Lukaku has a better goalscoring record of course, whereas Morata can do some footballing basics.

Long and short is it would make little difference regardless. Chelsea can take Lukaku if they want him though.

tomaldinho1

Why not? One won't succeed here and the other probably won't, might as well give them both a try

klsv

Would it be to help Chelsea finish above Liverpool?

King Eric 7

I remember when the Caf was discussing them both just before they both made a move and people were raving about Morata's goal to minutes ratio. Those stats don't count for much now, do they? Lukaku is going through a poor run of form which makes them about equal right now, but he is a much better goal scorer when he gets it all together. It's really weird to see him struggle as I didn't think he'd suffer from lack of confidence but I think he will come good again pretty soon.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Both were the wrong choice. We’d be in a mess no matter what. Pretty much sums it all up really.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
D'ya reckon, still think despite his current form we'd recoup most, if not all the money we paid for him if we made him available for transfer
You absolutely would, if he was prepared to take a step down. I can't see any of the big clubs being interested.

He was fantastic for Everton, any team around that level would 100% be interested at that price.

Gopher Brown

D'ya reckon, still think despite his current form we'd recoup most, if not all the money we paid for him if we made him available for transfer
I can’t see who would buy him though. He’s not technically good enough for Spain or PSG, and Italian teams couldn’t afford him.

Best stick with him and, you know, maybe coach him to be better, or work on his confidence.

jem

We were initially in pursuit of Morata, but after some difficult negotiations with Madrid and Chelsea also struggling to reach a deal with Everton, we ended up with Lukaku for £75m while Chelsea got Morata for £60m. Lukaku is reportedly on £200k per week while Moratais on £140k per week

Back then, I felt both players ended up on teams that didnt really suit their strengths i.e. Lukaku would thrive with Hazard, Willian, Alonso etc breaking down the defence and feeding him in the middle, while Morata would integrate better with players like Martial and Rashford who can more easily interchange with him and play through the middle while he drifts wide.

Question: Given what you have seen of both strikers so far, would you be interested in a direct swap of Lukaku for Morata?
As underwhelming as Lukaku has been lately, he's still shown more in the last two years than Morata has.

meninred

No way to me. Morata is inconsistent,injury prone and a luxury type of player.