Would you swap Lukaku for Morata?

AndyJ1985

No. But if you reversed the question I'd also say no. They're both crap.

beingshe7don

The problem is that no team in the world is going to pay 75m for Lukaku. There were a lot of factors that went into buying Lukaku; obviously he shared a great relationship with Pogba and Mourinho as well and Chelsea didn't want to pay 75m for Lukaku. With that being said, Morata seems like a hit and miss as well. Lukaku has proven to be much better acquisition for the years both of the players have played. Arsenal getting Aubameyang for 56m was a huge slap in the face for us. I think we need someone that's a fox in the box, someone who can control the ball and bring our wingers into play and will score 9 out of 10 in one on one situations. There's no one out there that's attainable. Icardi maybe but that will cost us a shit tonne. The only player at the moment, I would consider a shit tonne is Mbappe and he would genuinely improve us. Either way, I would like to see Mason Greenwood be given a shot.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
You absolutely would, if he was prepared to take a step down. I can't see any of the big clubs being interested.

He was fantastic for Everton, any team around that level would 100% be interested at that price.

I can’t see who would buy him though. He’s not technically good enough for Spain or PSG, and Italian teams couldn’t afford him.

Best stick with him and, you know, maybe coach him to be better, or work on his confidence.
Hope we don't find out because I hope the lad stays, but you'd be surprised how many clubs, and some of the biggest in Europe would overlook his perceived lack of technique because the lad is an out and out goalscorer and they are in short supply at the minute. Play to his strengths, and not his weaknesses like our clown of a Manager and he'll score goals for fun in any of the major Leagues in Europe.

Aloysius's Back 3

No - I don't want a target man at all at United - not Mandzukic, Not Icardi, not anyone but a well rounded striker like Kane. Until that I'd rather we play with forwards who play down the channels and have a creator & a player who can link 2 of them together. Lukaku himself would benefit from playing down the channel - definitely much more than morata would.

Martial

Neither are good enough for United.

We should have gone for Aubameyang that summer in hindsight, despite his flaws.

Josh 76

They are both not good enough for Utd. But who was actually available at the time. There was only one man who was probably getable with a record bid, but that boat has sailed for a number of reasons now. Levindoski!

Craig Ward

I wouldn't no.

While Lukaku may have lost confidence/form - Morata is no better and shows no sign of becoming any better. For me, he's average.

Lukaku - last season he was ok, this season he is off the pace. I think he is suffering with Jose's tactics a little. he does best running the channels/playing off the last man/using his pace and power. Jose doesn't play to his strengths in some respects. We aren't fluid in attack, he isn't running in behind as our midfields are too laboured and static and focus on sideways passes.

He could be doing more though admittedly, he needs a goal for confidence

tidraKS

Absolutely. Morata's only problem is he's homesick all the time. If he would overcome that, I think he's better than Lukaku.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Why is this even a question.

Zlatattack

Not a chance. This guys been even worse than Lukaku, he's a striker, he doesn't score goals! Lukaku has been scoring goals for us, just "not enough". He got 27 goals for us last season, roughly a goal every other game. It's average for a striker - just not average for the calibre of striker we've had at Manchester United.

Because he's horribly out of form and because he's the sole striker he's seen as the crux of the problem, but in reality, we didn't have many goals from anywhere else in the team either. That was the real problem. In a 433, you expect regular goals from the two wide attackers too.

SER19

Not this again

Morata has been utter rubbish for a year. Strops about moaning and doesnt seem to be especially good at anything. Starting a thread when one is in form and one isn't seems loaded to me

Ibrahimorich

Definitely not. Even just for the value. Morata has basically show nothing since going to Chelsea. At least Rom scored a load of goals last year (and continues to do so for Belgium).

The issue is that Mourinho doesn't realise that Lukaku is a giant Michael Owen, not Didier Drogba

cheeky_backheel

Not this again

Morata has been utter rubbish for a year. Strops about moaning and doesnt seem to be especially good at anything. Starting a thread when one is in form and one isn't seems loaded to me
Neither player is lighting up the league consistently.
The question is if either player would do better in a different/opposing system?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
The question is if either player would do better in a different/opposing system?
Morata is playing in an in-form team that is hungry to prove themselves to a new manager. Lukaku is in the complete opposite situation.

Morata has all outside factors going for him and he still can't hit a barn door or stay on his feet. He's a bang average striker. Lukaku in his poor form is about par to Morata in any form.

cheeky_backheel

Morata is playing in an in-form team that is hungry to prove themselves to a new manager. Lukaku is in the complete opposite situation.

Morata has all outside factors going for him and he still can't hit a barn door or stay on his feet. He's a bang average striker. Lukaku in his poor form is about par to Morata in any form.
You can reverse that role last season, where Chelsea had the disgruntled manager and uncertainty, while we had the comfort of stability and being in second place for most of the season.

Lukaku in his poor form is a waste of space. Team was fully in control of the game against Everton until he came on and disrupted the rhythm.

Aloysius's Back 3

You can reverse that role last season, where Chelsea had the disgruntled manager and uncertainty, while we had the comfort of stability and being in second place for most of the season.

Lukaku in his poor form is a waste of space. Team was fully in control of the game against Everton until he came on and disrupted the rhythm.
Good spot

f_to_z

Is it just me or did Likaku become fat since he joined us? He is too heavy and his acceleration and agility is being affected. Im not sure why no one has noticed this at the club and suggested to lose weight.

Aloysius's Back 3

Is it just me or did Likaku become fat since he joined us? He is too heavy and his acceleration and agility is being affected. Im not sure why no one has noticed this at the club and suggested to lose weight.
It happened because Lukaku is made to play as a target man. I'm 100% sure that it's our tactics that has led to him being butch. There is a favouritism to that type of stature & even players like martial have become bigger & stronger but fortunately for him - his own benefit.

cheeky_backheel

It happened because Lukaku is made to play as a target man. I'm 100% sure that it's our tactics that has led to him being butch. There is a favouritism to that type of stature & even players like martial have become bigger & stronger but fortunately for him - his own benefit.
Drogba, Ibra and several others played as target men without becoming overweight and lumbering

Lukaku has simply been gaining weight over the years

Aloysius's Back 3

Drogba, Ibra and several others played as target men without becoming overweight and lumbering

Lukaku has simply been gaining weight over the years
That's because they were perfect at being target men. Lukaku is not & has turned from a striker who runs behind channels with the ability to provide a heightened presence to a striker that is made to play with his back to the goal post & asked to out muscle any defenders behind him.

He isn't fat - he is just too bulky & that has removed some of his original game from his platform.

cheeky_backheel

That's because they were perfect at being target men. Lukaku is not & has turned from a striker who runs behind channels with the ability to provide a heightened presence to a striker that is made to play with his back to the goal post & asked to out muscle any defenders behind him.

He isn't fat - he is just too bulky & that has removed some of his original game from his platform.
he was gaining weight even at Everton.

he doesn't need to bulk up to play with his back to goal. he struggles to do so cos of his poor positioning and abysmal first touch.

cant see any reason anyone would ask him to bulk up and suspect its more of indiscipline on his own part

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Lukaku is obviously better but his reputation makes it hard to give up so soon. If we had Morata we would cut our losses and sign a proper top striker. So in that point of view.... would take Morata. Only because hes easier to replace.

snk123

Yes - not because Morata is better but because Morata is more suited to our style. He can atleast hold the ball up and bring others into play which we want Lukaku to do with our hoofball attacking system.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Swap one sack of shit for two sacks of shit? No thanks

gajender

Lukaku is obviously better but his reputation makes it hard to give up so soon. If we had Morata we would cut our losses and sign a proper top striker. So in that point of view.... would take Morata. Only because hes easier to replace.
Contradiction much , so for you it's harder to give up on Lukaku due to his reputation but you would any way swap him for Morata because he is easier to replace I am confused or may be you misunderstood the Op .

Ashley R1+O

I don't know, probably not. I'd improve the service to Lukaku before swapping him for anybody first though.

SER19

Agree with the first bit for sure. I think regardless, there’s no circumstances at all where I’d swap the two

Johan07

The problem is that no team in the world is going to pay 75m for Lukaku. There were a lot of factors that went into buying Lukaku; obviously he shared a great relationship with Pogba and Mourinho as well and Chelsea didn't want to pay 75m for Lukaku. With that being said, Morata seems like a hit and miss as well. Lukaku has proven to be much better acquisition for the years both of the players have played. Arsenal getting Aubameyang for 56m was a huge slap in the face for us. I think we need someone that's a fox in the box, someone who can control the ball and bring our wingers into play and will score 9 out of 10 in one on one situations. There's no one out there that's attainable. Icardi maybe but that will cost us a shit tonne. The only player at the moment, I would consider a shit tonne is Mbappe and he would genuinely improve us. Either way, I would like to see Mason Greenwood be given a shot.
The truth is that that a lot of teams would pay that and even more in todays transfer market. Why be stupid when trying to make an argument? And "fox in the box"? Really? There is no place for an Icardi or Auba under Mourinho. Not gonna happen. Lukaku needs to improve his hold-up play if he is going to keep on playing under Mourinho.
If we change manager I will be all for keeping him around and let him fight for his place in in a more offensive setup that would have him facing the goal instead of playing with his back against it 90 percent of the game.