Would you swap Van De Beek for Thiago?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Yes. I'm asking the question!!

Would you swap Thiago The Butcher for nice and quiet Van De Beek?

Both seem like square pegs in round holes, yet some may say that they would be better at different clubs.

So if you had to make the decision, would this be a good swap for either side and why?

I'm going to say no because with VDB Liverpool would be receiving a player who could become a stalwart for them whereas Thiago is almost 30 which is basically 60.

Clearly theoretical, because we aren’t ever doing business with Liverpool and visa versa.

both players need to be given time at the clubs, so too early to judge either of them.

I’m not sure which one I’d be more concerned about?

having said we can’t swap them in the real world, Thiago would probably make more sense at United than DVDB... but Thiago is not a player I pine over.

K Stand Knut

New lows again. Well done!!!!!

no! Absolutely not! Can we just give players a bit of time and judge them when it’s fair to.

jesus!

PoTMS

Yes. Both players would be better fits for the opposing team's style of play.

tomaldinho1

we didn't sign Cattermole when he was at Sunderland, why would we sign him now he's at Pool?

el3mel

Yes. Can't imagine how can anyone manage to bring himself to say no to be honest.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yes. Can't imagine how can anyone manage to bring himself to say no to be honest.
Umm because it's hard as Utd fans to imagine anyone tainted with that filth ever wearing our colours.

el3mel

Umm because it's hard as Utd fans to imagine anyone tainted with that filth ever wearing our colours.
It's hypothetical. It'll never happen. It's supposed to be just comparing quality of both players and nothing else when it comes to such hypothetical situations.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It's hypothetical. It'll never happen. It's supposed to be just comparing quality of both players and nothing else when it comes to such hypothetical situations.
Even hypothetically, I don't want to imagine anyone who's gone Scouse to ever wear our shirt. Doesn't matter how good they are with the ball at their feet, something clearly ain't right with them if they chose to join the dippers.

cyril C

This must be the stupidest thread I have ever seen. The same thread could be twisted into - should we swap Bruno for Thiago? As a starter, WHERE does Thiago play? Klopp tried him as #6 result is pretty evident, so Thiago is a #8. We have been struggling to accommodate Pogba and Thiago so far, and we want more fuel into fire? Even Pogba is more all-rounded and MIGHT make out as a #6. VDB gives us the option of still being young and can slowly ease into the game, whether as backup or alternative deployment, but Thiago won't sit on the bench. Unless someone suggest we should bench Bruno and play Thiago, because Thiago is much better (for us).

jem

This must be the stupidest thread I have ever seen. The same thread could be twisted into - should we swap Bruno for Thiago? As a starter, WHERE does Thiago play? Klopp tried him as #6 result is pretty evident, so Thiago is a #8. We have been struggling to accommodate Pogba and Thiago so far, and we want more fuel into fire? Even Pogba is more all-rounded and MIGHT make out as a #6. VDB gives us the option of still being young and can slowly ease into the game, whether as backup or alternative deployment, but Thiago won't sit on the bench. Unless someone suggest we should bench Bruno and play Thiago, because Thiago is much better (for us).
Is it really worth getting that worked up over a hypothetical thread? I really don't see the issue with asking a question that I'm sure at least a few people have pondered. It's not like the original poster was suggesting it as a viable option.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I've made worse

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/who...r-if-hed-never-become-a-united-player.448560/

criticalanalysis

Both seem like square pegs in round holes, yet some may say that they would be better at different clubs.

So if you had to make the decision, would this be a good swap for either side and why?

I'm going to say no because with VDB Liverpool would be receiving a player who could become a stalwart for them whereas Thiago is almost 30 which is basically 60.
No because once Mata leaves, we need a replacement for hugs.

alexthelion

No.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Not really in the same world of talent are they?? Different stages to their careers, not like we picked Van de Beek ahead of Thiago either. He was always going there so we weren't part of the conversation. Van de Beek has time anyway. He won't amount to anything as a 10 but I hope he starts rotating with Fred more as I think he can play the deeper playmaker role well next to McTominay. Not sure what other options he has anyway!

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Thiago is one of the most overrated players for me in the last decade.

I'm not ready to treat VDB like this because even if he struggles at United I feel he would do better at a different club that suits his style.

city-puma

Thiago should fit us much better than pool. If he’s three years younger, I would like him join us. Now, no.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Having him would have a Cavani effect. Younger players could learn from him. So, I would do the swap. Having said that, as with all young players, we wouldn’t know their true potential until we give them a chance to shine, which needs a lot of patience in most cases. So keeping VDB is also a great decision to make.

Jev

Of course. Thiago suits our style of play much better and is the superior player by some distance, despite underperforming at Liverpool. Jury's still out on VDB but we've seen enough to consider the possibility that he's just not cut out for this level. In a straight swap it's a no-brainer.