• Yes

Votes: 1,013 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 1,140 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Conte is in a completely different bracket compared the the dross you've hired as manager since then - do you not recall Mourinho whining about Conte celebrating when Chelsea beat you 4-0? Conte was already different class then and has also now secured a league win subsequently in Italy breaking a 9 year streak that he himself started - do you really think this is comparable to Van Gaal or Mourinho or Moyes or Solksjaer? Madness.
Madness rather thinking that hiring Conte just because he has the best available cv and is better cv than the current manager without a care for whether he suits the club, nor the squad, nor can build on what the previous manager has done, instituting a change in direction again like we are on a round about, isn't the exact same thing that got LVG and Mourinho hired in the first place and why they both failed.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Slightly off topic: Why is the "next manager" thread locked?

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
I'd take him with the understanding that he's a short term fix.

Edit : I dont think we need an up and coming tactician type manager at the moment, and I don't buy into the "patterns of play" bollox.

We need a manager with experience who can handle egos.

I'd prefer Zidane, but I'd settle for conte.

Cloud7

My preference would have been Ten Hag, or failing him, Zidane. Up until two weeks ago I would have said no to Conte, but if the choices are Ole or Conte I would definitely take Conte. With the players we have, we need a winner in the club now. We can't waste a squad like this pandering to a manager who has no place at a top club.

However he would clearly be someone who's going to be here for about two years, and the club should have an understanding of this.

Abraxas

What “long term and strategic decision making” have we exhibited under the current manager? Neglecting a defensive midfielder two seasons in a row? Signing two 34+ year old strikers on the last day of the window two seasons running? Having a lopsided attack that collectively doesn’t press?

Just lazy cliches being thrown about.
I'm not saying we have made countless good decisions under the current manager. We won't really know until we see this collection of players under a different manager.

I think just pining for Conte is lazy thinking just because he's won X trophies if he isn't the right fit. We have to actually get this one right in every department. Accomplishment is of course one aspect.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Enrique will 100% not give up on Spain only just 12 months out from a World Cup.
If Spain are assured of qualification, we can strike a deal for him to come in and give him the summer off given that he has a great team already and he would give whoever is in charge of transfers his list.

Nothing is impossible but we're run by incompetents.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm not saying we have made countless good decisions under the current manager. We won't really know until we see this collection of players under a different manager.

I think just pining for Conte is lazy thinking just because he's won X trophies if he isn't the right fit. We have to actually get this one right in every department. Accomplishment is of course one aspect.
So who do we get, in your opinion? I don’t think it’s a case of Conte not being a ‘right fit’, personally. I think he’s a top coach who will definitely make do with what he has — and what we have is a very talented (albeit imbalanced) side.

DutchCruijff

If Spain are assured of qualification, we can strike a deal for him to come in and give him the summer off given that he has a great team already and he would give whoever is in charge of transfers his list.

World Cup 2022 is in the winter.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
World Cup 2022 is in the winter.
I keep reminding people about this and now I did it myself :lol: .

I think it's far enough away that he can still be tempted. People underestimate the allure of this job.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I'd take Zidane first. If not him then fecking Brendan Rodgers.

Abraxas

So who do we get, in your opinion? I don’t think it’s a case of Conte not being a ‘right fit’, personally. I think he’s a top coach who will definitely make do with what he has — and what we have is a very talented (albeit imbalanced) side.
That's your idea of hiring a manager, or at least your priority but I think they look a lot more detail than that. That's not to say they all have the same priorities or the same objectives beyond the obvious (success on the pitch)

But they should have an idea of the type of individual that's going to work well within the club and develop the relationships necessary, work towards other goals like a better pathway for youth which is important at United, to play the football expected by supporters, to have an aligned method for recruitment and ultimately to produce the results. Now, I could be well off the mark because ultimately I don't know Conte that well and certainly this is the point of interviewing or discussions, but he doesn't seem the most natural alignment.

It's getting somebody that fits best within all of that. Of course it's difficult, it should be, there shouldn't be 25 blokes qualified to be manager of one of the world's best clubs so there aren't lots of names on the tip of my tongue but ten Hag looks to be of the ilk I'd expect while still having some drawbacks to his CV. But we shouldn't rush to hire a manager. If we need to change in the short term because Ole is too far gone to bide our time an experienced caretaker is better than a poor decision.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That's your idea of hiring a manager, or at least your priority but I think they look a lot more detail than that. That's not to say they all have the same priorities or the same objectives beyond the obvious (success on the pitch)

But they should have an idea of the type of individual that's going to work well within the club and develop the relationships necessary, work towards other goals like a better pathway for youth which is important at United, to play the football expected by supporters, to have an aligned method for recruitment and ultimately to produce the results. Now, I could be well off the mark because ultimately I don't know Conte that well and certainly this is the point of interviewing or discussions, but he doesn't seem the most natural alignment.

It's getting somebody that fits best within all of that. Of course it's difficult, it should be, there shouldn't be 25 blokes qualified to be manager of one of the world's best clubs so there aren't lots of names on the tip of my tongue but ten Hag looks to be of the ilk I'd expect while still having some drawbacks to his CV. But we shouldn't rush to hire a manager. If we need to change in the short term because Ole is too far gone to bide our time an experienced caretaker is better than a poor decision.
We absolutely should. We’re nosediving and this season will be another absolute writeoff if we continue. There’s still plenty of time for a better manager to come in and salvage the season. Chelsea showed just how possible that is with Tuchel not 12 months ago

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I'd take Zidane first. If not him then fecking Brendan Rodgers.
Rodgers. Wow! Gives me an even worse feeling than when people were hoping for Mourinho back in 2016. Just not good enough. Not even close.

Conte was my first choice in 2016 and in 2018. Now? Really not sure. But he would be a huge upgrade. In my opinion, top three in the world (after Klopp and Pep). Won with Juve after they struggled for years. Took 93 points with Chelsea and won the league at his first try with a rather poor Chelsea-team, competing with Klopp, Pep and Mou at Man Utd (who spent heavily). Then won the league with Inter breaking up Juves domination.

BUT really not sure he would fit.

Zidane is probably a decent option. Ten Hag? I think it is hard to say much based on a spell at Eredivise/Ajax. If we are to go down that route (young and unproven) I would love to see Potter actually.

FatTails

I would absolutely love Lucho here. I don’t see it happening though. I also feel like our fanbase is largely allergic to possession, for reasons that I don’t understand.

Kaos

Can't believe there's some who are still turning their nose up at Conte. The man is a winner and wouldn't have us conceding comical goals. And those complaining about his style - have you watched us lately under Ole?? At least Conte wins things.

Status
Not open for further replies.